PDA

View Full Version : CHA's effect on chanter mezz?

TheFishyOne
04-14-2012, 12:48 PM
'ey guys.

I just rolled a Gnome Chanter and, knowing starting stats don't mean much in the endgame, I gave him 25 points into INT, and 5 into CHA; I figured that having an easier time leveling was more important than RPing a charismatic Gnome. =) Anyhow, I know CHA affects a chanter's ability to charm and mezz, but on live I started grouping fairly early, and contributed to the group by mezzing the hell outta big pulls. I was just curious if anyone had some numbers or theorycraft on how a high CHA affects a chanter's chance to successfully mezz. I don't plan to reroll my Gnome or anything, I just want to know if it's worth stacking large amounts of CHA on gear once I get to a respectable level.

Many thanks in advance!

Vermicelli
04-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Common wisdom for INT casters typically is to bump your STA during character creation. Among all of the stats that will be important to you at the endgame, STA (for +hp) is the most difficult to raise by putting on equipment. With loots like Siryn Hair Hood (+13 CHA), Rod of Insidious Glamour (+12 CHA), and a Crude Stein (+15 CHA) and your personal +CHA buff (L49 Adorning Grace is +30), high CHA will be no problemo. Like most other tiptop-important stats, 200 CHA is a good number to shoot for. CHA will affect your mez resists, whether or not Pacify spell line resists get you aggro, and the duration of your charms.

Mez will always last for a set duration based on the level of the spell. Mobs that are charmed will make a check every 6 seconds against three things: your level, your CHA, and their own Magic Resist. If they succeed against all three checks, the charm will break. Always make sure to Tash any mob you want to charm to lower its Magic Resist, and if there is a Shaman in the group, Malo will lower their MR even further.

INT will really only impact your maximum mana pool, which if you are doing your job in a group, you're probably not often going to regenerate to your maximum level of mana. When I rolled I put the majority of my points into CHA, and looking back, now having knowledge of end-game +stat loot, I wish I had used my points differently. However, this does allow me to forego typical chanter loot and use other +stat gear =)

TheFishyOne
04-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the info, Vermicelli!

When I rolled my stats, I had taken 2 things into consideration: The recommendations on the p1999 Wiki, and my experience of spending most of my time oom on live until I was high enough to learn Breeze. You make it sound like those initial points in STA are a bit of a big deal, tho. RIght now I'm level 4, would you say it's worth rerolling to go, say, 25 in STA and 5 in INT?

Rasah
04-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Int casters get the least bang for the buck with regard to STA to Hitpoints. It will be about 2 per point. So 25 STA will give you around 50hp. You could get a 55hp ring for 250p, but you won't get a +25 of any other stat on anything for any amount of money.

I wouldn't reroll unless you decide that you can't live without those 50hp at level 60.

Vermicelli
04-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Rasah is right about casters not getting much HP per investment in STA. I was only stating that, as an enchanter, it is not difficult to max out your INT and CHA with endgame equipment. Though, like he or she said, +HP equipment is also easy to come by. By the time you start collecting gear, your stats won't be as important to your success as much as your playing ability will be =)

Glitch
04-16-2012, 03:41 PM
But playing a gnome chanter, you miss out on something of a gamechanging ability for enchanter, namely darkelf racial hide, which allows you to instantly break charm without memming invis, which merits a reroll!

Buttttttt ya cha will get you those sweet mezzes.

Malrubius
04-16-2012, 03:55 PM
CHA is also part of the initial resist check for Mezz and Lull. At least in classic...not sure about here.

IMO, STA is a waste. You really want to dump most of your stat points to get another 25hp at level 60?

Deverell
04-17-2012, 04:37 AM
I never noticed a meaningful difference in mez resists from charisma, but it does affect the chance for lull to fail and for charm to break. Those are the big ones.

Points in int are mostly wasted. It's such an inconsequential stat for enchanters, you simply don't depend very much on your mana pool. Coupled with the fact that you can buff your own int and always have clarity, it's not a concern at all.

Your starting stat points should never be spent with consideration to the first 16 levels or whatever. That's such a tiny part of your life and it's just not gonna matter. Mana pool is also universally overrated except perhaps for clerics and quad-kiters. You'll spend 97% of your life either at full mana because the content is easy, or hovering somewhere between 30-60% mana. The situations where you go from full mana to OOM and then have time to get back to full and repeat the process are so unspeakably rare that it isn't worth considering, but those are really the only situations where the size of your mana pool makes any real difference.

You can put your points in stamina if you want the very endgame benefit. Eventually you'll reach a point where you won't get anything out of more int or cha, they kinda stop helping after 200, and then sta is the only thing you'll care about. You can also go the more general route of dumping all your points into cha so that you can get to 200 or 255 (both are meaningful milestones, you'll be charming high-end stuff at times and need 255 for safety) without having to wear a bunch of otherwise terrible cha gear. That'll let you wear stuff with better general stats such as hp and resists where you'd otherwise have to wear a lot of things like siryn hood and gypsy medallion that give nothing but charisma.

Think of it like this: there'll be a tiny window of time right in the beginning where the int might help you more. Then there'll be a vast span of time all throughout the middle where cha is worth more. Then there'll be a tiny window of time right at the end where sta is worth more. Use that and your knowledge of what you intend to do in the game to determine where to put your points. If you're dead set on becoming a hardcore endgame raider, sta is a smart choice. If you just like to dungeon crawl or visit planes, you'll never get the kind of gear that lets you reach the point where everything but stamina is pointless.

And yes, absolutely reroll if you're only level 4. That's nothing.

Qadosx
04-17-2012, 07:20 PM
But playing a gnome chanter, you miss out on something of a gamechanging ability for enchanter, namely darkelf racial hide, which allows you to instantly break charm without memming invis, which merits a reroll!

Buttttttt ya cha will get you those sweet mezzes.

Obsolete in Kunark in regards to breaking charm. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1653

Glitch
04-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Obsolete in Kunark in regards to breaking charm. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1653

I bet you got banned because of how silly this post is $$$

Gazughi Ring is much better for breaking charm once you have it, but buying it or camping it just isn't going to happen until you're already a high level.
Hide also has an unbelievable amount of utility for an enchanter outside of breaking charm, but I think we're a little off topic now.

TheFishyOne
04-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Honestly, I've never gotten a toon to raid ready anywhere (as far as EQ goes), so I have no idea of whether or not it would be a feasible goal for me, being that I'm prolly the rankest newb on p1999. That said, if I could get there, it would be awesome and I've loved raiding in every MMO that I've been able to get a toon to that level, but it would undoubtedly take a long time for me, because I level slowly in any MMO I play. So being that I'm only lvl 4, I am going to reroll and put 25 into CHA and 5 into STA, simply because I will prolly spend an inordinate amount of time in the middle levels, plus it will give me a bit more freedom in what I can wear.

The 5 points in STA is only meant to be a nudge, should I get to the endgame. From what I hear, 25 points in STA would only net me 50 HP @ level 60, which isn't enough incentive for me to gimp my mid levels by going very deep into it, and everyone here seems to agree that points in INT are wasted on a chanter, particularly on a race as smart as Gnomes are.

Speaking of Gnomes, Gnomes are Awesome and Cool. They have an innate bonus to swagger, and RPing a charismatic Gnome tastes like Win, because it's made with Win. Dark Elves are creepy, purple, and they smell like the inside of a crypt. Oh, and where other races can make all kinds of Junk, only Gnomes can make Stuff and Things. I'm sure DEs make excellent chanters, especially with that racial you mentioned, but once you go Gnome, you can never go home. Oh, and they're tinah, which automatically qualifies them as Magnificent Lil' Bastards.

Finally, to whoever took the name "Zasbus" before I could, I will so totally come to your house and poop in your driveway. That is all. =P