PDA

View Full Version : Confused Much?

Budah
04-14-2010, 01:46 PM
So I have been following most all of the threads over the last week pretty closely. Recently, as many have noticed, it has become a point to enforce forum rules and single out those on these forums who do not contribute, and are grossly offensive to other forum users. In addition, this sub-section is titled "Rants and Flames". One specific member has, as far as I can see, gone vigilante and started threads with proof of forum infractions. Here is what I am confused about:

1) What was wrong with the method of which he chose? From what I can see he simply quoted their own words in the correct sub-section (Rants & Flames) and then quoted the rule that they broke.

2) A lot of closed threads in the Rants & Flames section, with little explanation as to why they were closed.

3) What are the guidelines for the Rants & Flames section? I assumed that it was an open section to complain about users or policies with which you disagree with. Even moreso, I would assume that in this section, the use of vulgar phrases or infractions against the rules might be overlooked given the title.

4) If there are elements which are considered off-limits in the "Rants & Flames" section, then where can we find them? There is no sticky from what I can see that outlines what is right and what is wrong in this section.

5) Do users have a freedom to write whatever they want in this section & those who choose to read threads here understand that their beliefs may or may not be insulted in this section? And if users do not have absolute freedom to write openly in the "Rants & Flames" section, then why not? My assumption (which may or may not be correct) is that this section was specifically provided so that we could say exactly what is on our minds with no consequence.

6) While there is a sticky about GM decisions (Written in February); are they to be considered off limits to our own rants and flames? Are matters with them considered private 100% of the time given their status and position in the server? And if this is the case, why is that so? Are policemen not held accountable for their own actions as well? Do lawyers not have to answer for themselves when they mess up? Can politicians not be punished for instances where the public disagree?

Above all - I do NOT want this to be considered a rant, or troll, or whatever. It is a serious concern, especially given the majority of recent subject matter. Many users have claimed (myself included) to help regulate the forums by using the report post / petition thread. If this area has special rules, or more importantly, does not, then we should be made aware. Alternatively, if this section is, as I assume it was intended to be (a free forum to post whatever a user wishes), then should it be moderated?

With absolute sincerity, thank you.

mitic
04-14-2010, 02:03 PM
is it just me or are some people of our community taking this private board of an emulated 10 year old game way too serious

the server is down and ppl are bored, will be different starting with friday.

8 paragraphs of text.....geez

Aarone
04-14-2010, 02:09 PM
******************************the server is down and ppl are bored, will be different starting with friday.

DING DING DING - we have a winner!

Budah
04-14-2010, 02:13 PM
You are probably right in a sense Mitic. I do have a lot of time on my hands, as do many others since the server is down. But it is important to me because I do get offended with certain users, on a regular basis. I try hard not to say anything that would insult others based on ethnicity, race, gender, etc... but others have no regards for me or my feelings. I have sat and kept it to myself because I didn't want to cause confrontation. Since then, another member has done what I did not want to do and I actually commend him for it (a few of them actually). Because some people don't feel it is a big deal, is not justification for it. And this is not meant as an attack toward yourself, but instead a voice for those who are offended, and choose not to say something (previously myself).

The amount of attention a certain subject gets is an indication of its importance. See the bonus xp thread as an example.

Bhutt
04-14-2010, 02:17 PM
is it just me or are some people of our community taking this private board of an emulated 10 year old game way too serious

X2

Budah
04-14-2010, 02:20 PM
I also want to point out that the purpose of my thread was to request clarification as to what is or isn't acceptable in the R&F section. It just so happened to be brought up because of the subject of Bigotry, but was not solely based on it either.

JaVeDK
04-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Not the way to go about things.

This was the response given prior to close down Hasbinbad's latest thread, where he's asking why his other threads are being closed.

I feel we are quite many who are in support of his effort to clean up these boards and have the rules enforced or changed.

If asking these questions in public, when it is clearly in the publics interest, is "not the way to go about things", then please let us know what is, instead of just closing threads with no real explanation or clarification.

(I'm posting this instead of a private PM as I believe everyone is entitled to a public answer to this)

Wenai
04-14-2010, 02:26 PM
1) What was wrong with the method of which he chose? From what I can see he simply quoted their own words in the correct sub-section (Rants & Flames) and then quoted the rule that they broke.
Aeolwind chose it was worthy to close the threads (which I agree with as they served no purpose other than calling out a moderator and developer). Don't question GM/Mod/Developer decisions. We don't have the patience or desire to explain this shit day in and day out. The thread(s) were deemed unnecessary and were loacked. End of Story.

2) A lot of closed threads in the Rants & Flames section, with little explanation as to why they were closed.Unneeded and unnecessary content. If people want to complain about Joe Blow in their Sol A group who killed their entire group. Whatever. The threads that were locked served no purpose other than flame baiting people.

3) What are the guidelines for the Rants & Flames section? I assumed that it was an open section to complain about users or policies with which you disagree with. Even moreso, I would assume that in this section, the use of vulgar phrases or infractions against the rules might be overlooked given the title.Don't use racial, sexual, homophobic, ageist, religious, political, ethnic, or other epithets (such as against people with disabilities) comments. Regardless if it is in jest, regardless if you directly used it against someone, regardless if it is your first offense.

You can flame willing participants until you are blue in the face. I don't care. If you start flaming someone and they become offended or other readers become offended, the threads will be locked.

Everything comes down to GM/Mod/Dev discretion. If any of us deem it lock-worthy then don't question it. Don't post a thread asking why shit is locked because guess what... it will get locked too. Use common sense people.

4) If there are elements which are considered off-limits in the "Rants & Flames" section, then where can we find them? There is no sticky from what I can see that outlines what is right and what is wrong in this section.Use common sense.

5) Do users have a freedom to write whatever they want in this section & those who choose to read threads here understand that their beliefs may or may not be insulted in this section? And if users do not have absolute freedom to write openly in the "Rants & Flames" section, then why not? My assumption (which may or may not be correct) is that this section was specifically provided so that we could say exactly what is on our minds with no consequence.GM Discretion. If we don't like what you wrote, if we don't think it is appropriate, whatever the reason; we reserve the right to remove it.

6) While there is a sticky about GM decisions (Written in February); are they to be considered off limits to our own rants and flames? Are matters with them considered private 100% of the time given their status and position in the server? And if this is the case, why is that so? Are policemen not held accountable for their own actions as well? Do lawyers not have to answer for themselves when they mess up? Can politicians not be punished for instances where the public disagree?Don't question what we do. You don't know the whole story usually.

Look at it more like this: We provide you cheeseburgers. You come to buy our cheeseburgers but you find out you don't like them. We reserve the right to have skinny white kids remove you.

Above all - I do NOT want this to be considered a rant, or troll, or whatever. It is a serious concern, especially given the majority of recent subject matter. Many users have claimed (myself included) to help regulate the forums by using the report post / petition thread. If this area has special rules, or more importantly, does not, then we should be made aware. Alternatively, if this section is, as I assume it was intended to be (a free forum to post whatever a user wishes), then should it be moderated?

With absolute sincerity, thank you.The point of the R&F section is to get all the stupid threads complaining about stupid shit off of the main forum. People can choose to walk the line but it is at your own risk. If we feel you crossed the line; we will dispose of you. Easiest thing to do is to just to refrain from being an idiot.

Budah
04-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Incredibly frustrating :(

Slake
04-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Wenai, I love you man. Thank you for your perfect responses!

It's amazing that people will question every single thing you guys do. I for one am surprised with all the bs that has been going on on the boards since the server was taken down, that you guys didnt lock the boards as well.

People need to go outside and enjoy the fresh air for a bit and unplug from this game and let you guys take care of business.

Now i cant wait for this response to be picked apart and quoted 167 times by people who dont like my response.

/e looks around for popcorn.

Abacab
04-16-2010, 03:48 PM
nilbog edit : NEVER threaten a developer or GM staff.

Gorgetrapper
04-16-2010, 04:04 PM
I love getting warned because in my post I mentioned someone's name, but it wasn't nearly as bad as most of the shit on these forums.

Dear Gorgetrapper,

You have received a warning at Project 1999.

Reason:
-------
Insulted Other Member(s)

I removed the unnecessary comment. Watch your choice of words as they can be offensive to members of the community.
-------

Original Post:
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?p=46426
Quote:
Bunch of fucking cry babies. Bones you're so addicted to being high and only care about yourself that you think anything you do can't possibly be wrong. Seriously, just go away.
Warnings serve as a reminder to you of the forum's rules, which you are expected to understand and follow.

All the best,
Project 1999

Bones
04-16-2010, 04:25 PM
"Bones you're so addicted to being high and only care about yourself that you think anything you do can't possibly be wrong. Seriously, just go away."

Lol that you finny?
Anyways, warn was much deserved, obviously.

Bones
04-16-2010, 04:27 PM
And yes, I can be wrong, and admit to it when it happens, ask Wenai.
Its obvious you are just posting to make yourself feel better, or try to make me look bad.
Either way, love you, dog.

Abacab
04-16-2010, 04:48 PM
nilbog edit : NEVER threaten a developer or GM staff.

Wasn't a threat, it's realistic.

Suspended. Follow the rules.

Ihealyou
04-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Wasn't a threat, it's realistic.

How he talks sometimes on this forum is pure god damn arrogance, and he acts this way here cause he's got a ban button and a screen of anonymity behind him. He wouldn't go down to the roughest part of Chicago look at the local Latin Kings and say "I don't answer to you!" because he knows better and would rather keep all his teeth and much more his life.

So I have ZERO understanding why he's ballsing up with some draconian mentality when in reality he'd get punked on at every opportunity.

Because this is an online forum and not reality? Also, I don't think comparing yourself to a latin king is really accurate.

Bones
04-16-2010, 05:04 PM
and nilbog brings swift justice.

isitatomic
04-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Quoted from my other post as a kinder reminder to lads and ladies who seem confused about what they are entitled to say:

Well yeah actually, restricting speech is exactly what it's about. If you're lawful, the one doing the restricting is you, and if not it's someone who has authority over you. Ideally, positive liberty is the way to go. The liberty TO manage your own speech ("You have the right to remain silent...") and decide what is and is not appropriate based on a given set of guidelines. Negative liberty is the reason for negative consequence, granting the lawful among us freedom FROM guideline infractions.

Generally speaking you can say most anything UNLESS: 1) it falls under hate speech 2) it is either meant OR likely to incite violence ("fighting words").

Or of course, 3) it is deemed by the folks who run their own private server/online community, in which you are allowed to take part, to be worthy of banhammaz or other pwning mechanisms.

Bones
04-16-2010, 05:21 PM
them be fightin' words!

3) pretty much sums it up.
Basically, Don't argue with Nilbog, creator and giver of all that is holy (p1999)!

girth
04-16-2010, 10:15 PM
im gonna be famous on the interwebz if he keeps spamming my post

Volga
04-16-2010, 10:38 PM
With all due respect to the OP and their questions I think I can summarize an answer:

This server is ultimately a private show and those that manage the project do not owe anyone aything. We as the players are not "entitled" to a service, service level, or standard of customer service. If one does not like, agree with, or is otherwise generally unhappy with a policy, behavior, member of "staff" then your recourse is to leave and find a server/community that suites your needs.

Given the comparatively high population of the server (from what I've read) I would estimate that the majority of the users are happy with the server, staff, and their policies.

FrogKing
04-16-2010, 10:44 PM

I know what ya mean...check out this post: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5778

Oh wait, you just said taking forums too srsly. Is it still cool to take the actual emulated 10 year old game way too serious?