PDA

View Full Version : Server Return

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

harojaro91
04-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Haha, Juice talking about the ruining of the server -- when he doe more to contribute to people leaving than any other 20 people combined. Lets take a little test --

To which character do all of the following apply?

1) Frequent ragequits groups leaving them with no tank, sometimes taking shaman bot with him.
2) Kicks people from group for winning rolls on rare, but crappy items that he wanted.
3) Gets kicked from guild(s) after exhibiting behavior #2 above.
4) Admits on multiple occassions to 2 boxing (btw 2 boxing means controlling 2 characters at the same time, not necessarily on the same computer).
5) Forces groups to reform without him because hes a blithering idiot.

I am sure that this list isnt exhaustive as I these are just the items I witnessed personally before i added Juice to /ignore.

Oh yeah, if you answered Juice, congratulations, you have aced the quiz.

Look, this was completely irrelevant to what I said and quite unnecessary. I've made huge efforts to better my reputation, and I know I have ragequitted which is a very dick thing to do. I've apologized to the people I've wronged that show moderate respect and understanding. Also, I thought you ignored what I said yet you responded? Another thing, I added a well thought out opinion to this discussion, if you want to flame me, at least do so with an equally intelligent reply.

Edit: I never two box nor have ever said anything of the sort. Psyduck is my brother and he is on quite frequently when I'm not. Go talk to him or something before jumping to conclusions.

Kaleb
04-12-2010, 09:39 PM
I for one am looking forward to the 50% xp bonus.

I am also thankful that P1999 is not a democracy.

zokur
04-12-2010, 09:48 PM
The game is down this week and that is sad. However on the bright side, the forums have been very entertaining.:D

At the risk of being flamed for publishing my opinion, This is how i feel about OOC/.

I am only in my teens ATM and OOC discussions have been very helpful. The discussions keep me up to date of the many things I have forgotten about the game. I believe it does help bring the server together more as a community. However, there is always going to be some immature kid or drunk jerk or just an uptight dork with a political opinion that needs to vent on a public channel.

I personaly would hate to see game discussions and the occasional scream about a player that just stole a mob, go away completely. OOC is a place that players can connect with other players. Its the place players of every level can share there experience and knowledge. I think peeps have forgotten that his isn't a public forum its a game forum.

I have seen a few posts of people supporting channels. I like channels but they do tend to isolate people.

Could we have the best of both worlds? I know nothing of what is involved in starting channels up on the server. But we were asked to discus it so lets assume we are being offered the possibility of channels.

Keep ooc/ and open a few limited channels. For example. OOC(game content only)/ Open forum channel(anything goes as long as it isn't abusive)/ Raid channels/ guild/ auction. and stop there. Allow the option to turn off any channel, even ooc. Allowing peeps to create there own channels would cause peeps to collect in there own little corners.

In order to keep the channels from getting out of hand with ranters and spammers we could have a few (none GM) volunteers with some sort of admin. rights to stop or end discussions that are deemed improper. A none gm volitier could enjoy the freedom of not being spammed with requests to settle game issues while monitoring chat. The volunteers would simply end any inappropriate discussions that are becoming disruptive to the chat channel.

Again just my opinion, feel free to expel some of your game withdraw anxiety on me. I have little to do in the evenings till Friday but read the responses.:cool:

Budah
04-12-2010, 09:49 PM
I don't really get the whole "unfair" aspect people keep mentioning with regard to the XP bonus. I mean really sometimes I just can't play EQ that day I don't want everyone else to be penalized for my RL getting in the way.

I don't care either way I already hit 50 I just think it's rude to bitch about it when Rogean is basically just trying to say "THANKS" for everyone being patient and putting up with this bullshit. It's a nice gesture and hardly game breaking. *shrug*

I agree... the way I see it is:

It's a gift, and everyone is whining about how they don't want it. Kinda messed up to me. Accept it, enjoy it, move on.

xshayla701
04-12-2010, 10:12 PM
idea: if you dont like the exp bonus, dont play that week and chill out in real life. OH GOD, WHAT WILL WE DO FOR ANOTHER WEEK WITHOUT EVERQUEST?!? hm, go get some vitamin d developing again lol

not to say i'm for or against it, it's the devs decision regardless of how we feel so should we bother knocking each other over the opposing opinions?

oldhead
04-12-2010, 10:37 PM
This thread throws out the misconception that the classic fanbase is a much more mature crowd.

=(

Elendae
04-12-2010, 11:07 PM
re: ooc server-wide

I was all for shutting it down when I first started for most of the reasons people have laid out, but now I think it probably needs to be there. Same goes for /auc (people still gather like they did in EC, just the communication is different). I don't even really use /ooc anymore, and I still think it needs to be there. I'll sometimes leave it up to answer some newbie questions late at night.

and re: bonus exp

Also against having this in, until someone made it clear that it's the devs doing something nice for us not because of bitching in the forum, but because of the support they're getting. I probably won't take much advantage of it, but have fun to those who will. I finally have a friend starting back up so hopefully he can use this time to catch up to me.

jilena
04-12-2010, 11:22 PM
This thread throws out the misconception that the classic fanbase is a much more mature crowd.

=(

See I find it hilarious that people always assume the more hardcore a game is the more it appeals to adults while simple casual games appeal to children. I find the exact opposite to be true. Those with less responsibility have MORE time to play not less. In my various circles of friends, the people who play WoW are those that are married, have children, and work full time. They don't have a lot of time to play games, so the last thing they want to do is spend the entire 2 hours they might have to play on CR. *shrug*

In every game I play that has a longer levelling curve, enforced tedium, etc I see nonstop spam of people patting themselves on the back for not being a "WoW kiddie" when obviously they have a lifestyle that affords them the ability to play games 12+ hours a day. Casual games aren't for kids and young adults, hardcore games are. Reality check, I know very few people over the age of 25 who can play games 12+ hours a day. All of them that once played EQ in their late teens early 20s now play WoW. It has most of the good stuff without the bullshit.

In my case I always pulled out when I was young and stupid, and never got married, and well I have an IT job so I can play more than is healthy. That said even in my case I find myself less apt to put up with silly tedium just for the sake of dragging out content. This is readily apparent in single player games. I always had the level 99 FF characters, everything unlocked, etc characters in games as a kid. I would spend hours grinding out the dumbest shit. Now? I get bored with a single player game for more than 5 minutes and I probably won't even pick it up again (even if I just bought it)... Thank god for gamefly!

I know I am rambling but my point is: Stop patting yourself on the back for picking the "Adult" game. Everquest is for kids or people with a similar degree of responsibility! <3

Nedala
04-12-2010, 11:38 PM
I played WoW and playing eq2 on a pvp server and i can tell you its full of kids, the p99 community is way better. Tell me just one person younger than 18 who plays eq1? WoW is full of them, what ur saying is just not true.

Sure theres much flaming in this forum and in ooc but its nothing compared to eq2/wow open channels.

xvirus2501
04-12-2010, 11:39 PM
You babies will find anything to cry about, won't you?

"this is ruining my immersion waaaaah"

"50% experience bonus for a week to celebrate the return of the server is ruining my...ummm....I'm retarded and just need something to bitch about waaaaah"

"this makes things easier than they were in classic waaaa"

You know Finawin that was probably the only truth and correct thing that you have ever posted. Congratulation, you get 50% exp bonus next week.

Figleaf
04-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Well said Jilena, also, I cast my internet-ballot in favor of no bonus, that is all.

Anata
04-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Well said Jilena...
Being an older, casual player myself, I also absolutely agree with that.

Still, I am not in favor of any bonus xp events, probably because it reminds me of the time, when SOE started these things (certainly not before PoP, that's when things already went downhill).

Nevertheless, I appreciate the effort of the server admins. I just have a different opinion :)

Brad_mo123
04-13-2010, 12:16 AM
Was the xp bonus the DDOS'ers demand becuase he cant get past level 3? God 3 is a pain isnt it? lol

atvaata
04-13-2010, 12:21 AM
stop qqing all over rogean and the other devs decision to give us a 50% bonus. Its not like this is going to happen every month and im sure you all are just giving them a massive headache.

I still dont see how it could be ruining the integrity of the server.

Think of it as the 50% off sale for the grand re-opening of your favorite clothing outlet.

jkfranklin
04-13-2010, 12:41 AM
is this also the planned day of the ddos to return?

Ravun
04-13-2010, 12:46 AM
There is just no way to make everyone happy I suppose. There are always going to be people who find the negative in any situation. I couldn't care less if we have the 50% extra or not. I'm just happy the server is going to be up. I bet some of the people bitching about the 50% not being classic are the same people who support the global ooc. I just want to thank the dev team for doing a great job and for their attempt to try and please the community with the bonus. I personally will be taking advantage of it instead of boycotting the server for an extra week because something didn't go my way *sniff sniff*

Nedala
04-13-2010, 12:50 AM
I bet some of the people bitching about the 50% not being classic are the same people who support the global ooc.

not me, i dont care about an exp bonus for a week, doesnt affect the game much and is reasonable cuz the server was down a week. Just a nice gift from the devs :)

razgal
04-13-2010, 01:02 AM
I suppose them that are not in favor for the exp bonus can just not play for that first week the servers back up :P

jilena
04-13-2010, 01:28 AM
I played WoW and playing eq2 on a pvp server and i can tell you its full of kids, the p99 community is way better. Tell me just one person younger than 18 who plays eq1? WoW is full of them, what ur saying is just not true.

Sure theres much flaming in this forum and in ooc but its nothing compared to eq2/wow open channels.

Well you are referring to an emulated version of an 11 year old game... There are tons of people under 18 that play Aion though which has a slow levelling curve, exp loss, ridiculous amounts of grinding, etc.

It's like saying more teens play Dragon Age than Nethack...

Also I think a few people under 18 do play on this server. Have seen a few claiming to be 16-17 and other people bitching that their kids play on here...

atvaata
04-13-2010, 01:33 AM
Well you are referring to an emulated version of an 11 year old game... There are tons of people under 18 that play Aion though which has a slow levelling curve, exp loss, ridiculous amounts of grinding, etc.

It's like saying more teens play Dragon Age than Nethack...

Also I think a few people under 18 do play on this server. Have seen a few claiming to be 16-17 and other people bitching that their kids play on here...

my unborn fetus plays on 1999

Axion
04-13-2010, 01:33 AM
will everyone just shut up its only 50% for ONE week...If Anything it will BOOST the server population!...think about it a little longer then it takes to post your verbal diarrhea please.

jilena
04-13-2010, 01:36 AM
I bet some of the people bitching about the 50% not being classic are the same people who support the global ooc.

I think what you mean to say is that the people who are crying about global OOC's existence are the same ones crying about this because they will cry about anything.

My take on this:

Rogean is sitting there working on getting the server back up... Thinks to himself "Hrm, P1999's userbase has been surprisingly supportive and cool about this whole clusterfuck. I think I'll do something nice for them when the server comes back up. An exp bonus sounds nice. I can't wait to tell everyone they'll be so happy!"

Then he makes a post about it... And everyone is like "Uh thanks for working on getting the server back up but you are a piece of shit for wanting to do something nice and pretty much the worst thing to ever happen to classic EQ. I hate you and hope you die IRL."

*shrug* Maybe I am reading this wrong and the devs had some other motive for the exp bonus, but imo I think it was just a "THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!" Why this is so hard to just say "OMG thanks Rogean you're the best!" without having to pull out your epeens and scream "I AM MORE CLASSIC THAN YOU NOOBS WHO WANT EXPS TO BE EASY" while tugging away at it to get that extra milimeter from stretching it before the measuring....

jilena
04-13-2010, 01:47 AM
my unborn fetus plays on 1999

Too bad it's not OUR unborn fetus...

/clamjam

on second thought...

/falconpunch

kids are fucking expensive.

Aprio
04-13-2010, 04:00 AM
Just started on P99 before the server went down, as a newbie to the server I can honestly say that the ooc channel is a godsend. The help/support and just knowing that there are people out there while you start the grind is a big help to strangers to the server :)

The exp boost is a nice way to begin my P99 career, although in the interest of remaining 'classic' I can see the argument against it too.

Olorin
04-13-2010, 04:13 AM
Look, this was completely irrelevant to what I said and quite unnecessary. I've made huge efforts to better my reputation, and I know I have ragequitted which is a very dick thing to do. I've apologized to the people I've wronged that show moderate respect and understanding. Also, I thought you ignored what I said yet you responded? Another thing, I added a well thought out opinion to this discussion, if you want to flame me, at least do so with an equally intelligent reply.

Edit: I never two box nor have ever said anything of the sort. Psyduck is my brother and he is on quite frequently when I'm not. Go talk to him or something before jumping to conclusions.

it is intersting that when i first met you it was a friend playing in a different location, then it moved to a brother in a different room -- whats next? Your dog sitting next to you?

As far as jumping to conclusions goes, screenshots speak for themselves. The classic experience is ruined by cheaters.

Omnimorph
04-13-2010, 04:17 AM
I'd rather there was no 50% exp bonus, but then i'm not gonna whine about it because it will encourage a few more people to come on. A weekend would probably be better in my opinion, but hey, i'm just looking forward to being back on :)

Intricus
04-13-2010, 05:33 AM
stop qqing all over rogean and the other devs decision to give us a 50% bonus. Its not like this is going to happen every month and im sure you all are just giving them a massive headache.

I still dont see how it could be ruining the integrity of the server.

Think of it as the 50% off sale for the grand re-opening of your favorite clothing outlet.

There is just no way to make everyone happy I suppose. There are always going to be people who find the negative in any situation. I couldn't care less if we have the 50% extra or not. I'm just happy the server is going to be up. I bet some of the people bitching about the 50% not being classic are the same people who support the global ooc. I just want to thank the dev team for doing a great job and for their attempt to try and please the community with the bonus. I personally will be taking advantage of it instead of boycotting the server for an extra week because something didn't go my way *sniff sniff*

I'm sure The GMs/Devs/PJ99 team all knew people were going to gripe about the 50% exp bonus. They were smart enough to come up with the best classic EMU so far, so I'm sure that unlike you 2, and many others, they are smart enough to realize that not everybody thinks the same way, hence people are going to have different views on things, which of course will lead to complaints. It's human nature. We like to complain. Get the fuck over it.

mognet
04-13-2010, 07:01 AM
I was just about to start playing P99 the day the server went down. As an old MMO vet, any downtime can feel long. But having not been able to even start yet, this past week has been killing me :). I'm so pleased that old EQ has been reborn and I appreciate all the work being done to keep it going. I obviously can't comment much on it as I haven't played yet, but if it's at all what I expect I shall be donating regularly. During the downtime I've recruited 4 other old EQ vets to join me and the anticipation is killing us.

My question is this: When you say you're on track to be up Friday, does that mean that sometime Friday it should be back up and running, or it'll be up by Friday? Just curious as I have the day off and others are debating on taking the day too :).

Doomapple
04-13-2010, 07:35 AM
Exp Bonus: Not classic, potentially a slippery slope case, but I think enough dissent has been shown to keep any other exp bonus periods to a minimum. I think I'd prefer no bonus, but as we have it I'm just going to take it as the fun little change it's intended to be. It also will help me sucker my partner into playing, muahaha.

OOC: Again, not classic and I'll admit that I was disappointed to see it when I first logged on. However, rather than being elitist and potentially alienating newer/less hardcore gamers when we do not have a surplus of players, I think it would be far better to use more traditional methods of communication (/who + tell, shouts, EC tunnel auctions, etc) ALONGSIDE ooc rather than insisting the old ways won't work until ooc is gone. Some people don't want to be old school with the communication, and we aren't going to convince them otherwise. Far better to talk how we would like to and in doing so create a community with players who ARE interested in more personal communication. You'll probably need to keep ooc on to be kept abreast of some things, but it was the same back in the day when you would have the same number of people in the game world now all in a single zone!

Little will be accomplished trying to convince people they are "playing the game wrong." All we can do is play it how we want to and find who we want to play with that way.

BTW, yay for P1999!

Striiker
04-13-2010, 08:51 AM
I think the experience bonus is fine. If people are concerned about the experience bonus for one week, they are certainly free to stay off the server during this time. The vast majority of the players who are either happy about it or don't care about the bonus experience will be online, playing and having fun.
Anyone who has played EQ before knows full well that people will complain no matter what happens.
Once again, if you feel that this is "un-classic" or that it will ruin game play for you or anything else negative, feel free to stay off during this time. At least this way, your characters will not be sullied by this extra experience and the rest of us will have fun playing the game.

Striiker
04-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Isphet
"..
I agree 100%. This is a very bad idea. I am a new member, joining a few weeks prior to the ddos attack. While the experience bonus would be nice, I strongly disagree with it! I believe it it hurts the integrity of the game and once any exception is made to a process it highly increases the chances that others will be made. This is fact.

Another reason is that it's not fair. What if someone is traveling on business next week and unable to play? They waited as long as the rest of us, but why should they miss out on the experience bonus? Plus, if i wanted easy experience I'd stay on the EZ server.

So you are against the bonus but you are also upset because you might miss out on the bonus while others can take advantage of it calling it "not fair"?

It's simple, don't play during the week and you will not suffer the indignities of "easy experience". Also, the classic server embodies many things which the EZ server does not. By implying that some extra experience puts this server on par with the EZ server is completely ridiculous.

Lastly, this in no way jeopardizes the integrity of the server. The people in charge of the server are mature and have a vision and are sticking to it. It's 50% experience for ONE week. This is not a "gateway drug" to other drastic changes to the mechanics of Classic EQ. Thank you for overreacting.

Isphet
04-13-2010, 09:21 AM
It looks like you attributed that comment to me. I didn't write that. Just sayin. Please attribute that quote to the proper person.

xshayla701
04-13-2010, 09:48 AM
it is intersting that when i first met you it was a friend playing in a different location, then it moved to a brother in a different room -- whats next? Your dog sitting next to you?

As far as jumping to conclusions goes, screenshots speak for themselves. The classic experience is ruined by cheaters.

look, only reason i can see as to why juice hasn't called YOU out on being an asshole is because he is actually TRYING to be a nice guy for once, (noting that i understand he's been a jackass in the past to his group members and others.. but he is trying to turn that around.) screenshots? post them!

and he most likely said "friend" instead of brother because he realized he (juice) was being a jerk and didn't want psyduck to look bad. they are two completely different people, BROTHERS at that, one living at home, one living outside the home. how is that so fucking difficult to comprehend? they grew up playing the game together, so when they found this server, why wouldn't they want to play it together as well?

now STFU, and get back to the fucking topic.. SERVER RETURN

Sadface
04-13-2010, 10:36 AM
look, only reason i can see as to why juice hasn't called YOU out on being an asshole is because he is actually TRYING to be a nice guy for once, (noting that i understand he's been a jackass in the past to his group members and others.. but he is trying to turn that around.) screenshots? post them!

and he most likely said "friend" instead of brother because he realized he (juice) was being a jerk and didn't want psyduck to look bad. they are two completely different people, BROTHERS at that, one living at home, one living outside the home. how is that so fucking difficult to comprehend? they grew up playing the game together, so when they found this server, why wouldn't they want to play it together as well?

now STFU, and get back to the fucking topic.. SERVER RETURN

Armchair psychologist Shayla everybody

xshayla701
04-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Armchair psychologist Shayla everybody

lol. sticking up for a friend = armchair psychologist? i guess you're right.. now i am so hurt by your attempt at a witty insult, i may go start a thread about you in rants and flames! wahhhhhhhhh ... :D

i'm just saying, he gave an opinion, and more than one person brought in something completely irrelevant. rather than give reasons as to why he's a "bad tank" or "hurting the server by cheating" or "two boxing" how about give reasons as to why you think his argument is invalid? EPIPHANY!

oh how i love internet forums

Rogean
04-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Bonus XP Poll

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5694

Ravun
04-13-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm sure The GMs/Devs/PJ99 team all knew people were going to gripe about the 50% exp bonus. They were smart enough to come up with the best classic EMU so far, so I'm sure that unlike you 2, and many others, they are smart enough to realize that not everybody thinks the same way, hence people are going to have different views on things, which of course will lead to complaints. It's human nature. We like to complain. Get the fuck over it.

Sir, I think you skipped the opening sentence of my comment. I basically said the same thing just with less words...Anyway since it is "human nature" to complain then why are you so surprised that there are a few people complaining about the complainers? =)

jilena
04-13-2010, 11:41 AM
I think the fact that there are like 5 seperate mostly unrelated flame wars going on in this one thread that has next to nothing to do with any of the flames is evidence of the fact that serious business professional trolling takes place on the P99 forums.

<3

JaVeDK
04-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Anyway since it is "human nature" to complain then why are you so surprised that there are a few people complaining about the complainers? =)

Complaining that people are complaining is like complaining against the freedom of speech (and no, I'm not really complaining that people are complaining about people complaining... or... yeah ;))

It seems some people are under the impression that all complaining is bad and equivalent to 'whining' or 'bitching' - which might be somewhat true to the definition of the word. My impression of the debate on this however, is not that people are complaining, but more expressing their disagreement - and that their opposition instantly labels it 'complaining' or other derogatory variations.

I believe that expressing ones disagreement is fundamental to progress and ones democratic duty.

Ceridain
04-13-2010, 12:52 PM
I think the fact that there are like 5 seperate mostly unrelated flame wars going on in this one thread that has next to nothing to do with any of the flames is evidence of the fact that serious business professional trolling takes place on the P99 forums.

<3

/nod. /applaud. :D

grindle
04-13-2010, 01:14 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/mmtvmw.jpg

xvirus2501
04-13-2010, 02:29 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/mmtvmw.jpg

Ill leave this here.

http://i41.tinypic.com/98xemp.jpg

and

http://i43.tinypic.com/ncz1ae.jpg

MogManX44
04-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Ill leave this here.

http://i41.tinypic.com/98xemp.jpg

and

http://i43.tinypic.com/ncz1ae.jpg

lol

Ravun
04-13-2010, 03:42 PM

<3

Haha this is true, MAYBE I'M JUST ANGRY AT THE FUCKIN WORLD CAUSE I HAVEN'T HAD MY EVERQUEST FIX TODAY. ARGGGGGH:mad:

Nen
04-13-2010, 03:53 PM
It is just people making threads, not making decisions. You "Beating down" every /ooc thread will not change the devs decision regarding the matter anyways. You don't have to agree with them but to respond with the utter bullshit that spews out of your mouth is astonishing. Belittling everybody with every post you make, thinking you are smarter than everybody and that you are never wrong, just proves how much of a complete pile of shit you really are.

Any time you spend in this game AT ALL is a waste of time, whether it is exping, exploring, or sitting in EC tunnel.. its just fucking pixels in a game, get over yourself. Nobody is trying to force you to sit in EC tunnel.

Every time someone mentions getting rid of server-wide chat you flip out like you have something to prove here. Stop making such a big fucking deal over it. Are you afraid the devs are suddenly going to oust the global channel because one person made a thread? Grab a joint and relax.

On another note, I don't mind the server-wide chat and at no point cried about it. All I said was that I would rather it be zone-wide, but I will be fine if it remains global. You on the other hand are raging your ass off about people just proposing the idea.

And for the record, despite what you believe to be intelligent words coming out of your mouth, you have proven with every single post you have submitted that you are the least qualified person on the forums to give any input, whatsoever.

/rant off

If I could wrap this post in a bow and put a star on it I would. ;)

jilena
04-13-2010, 04:36 PM
This thread is so full of win.

xshayla701
04-13-2010, 05:13 PM

<3

yes. lol

Olorin
04-13-2010, 05:48 PM
lol. sticking up for a friend = armchair psychologist? i guess you're right.. now i am so hurt by your attempt at a witty insult, i may go start a thread about you in rants and flames! wahhhhhhhhh ... :D

i'm just saying, he gave an opinion, and more than one person brought in something completely irrelevant. rather than give reasons as to why he's a "bad tank" or "hurting the server by cheating" or "two boxing" how about give reasons as to why you think his argument is invalid? EPIPHANY!

oh how i love internet forums

Gave an opinion? He was comparing what happened in the korean war to an experience bonus in p1999 for christ sakes.

unfortunatly for him -- you get what you play for

harojaro91
04-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Gave an opinion? He was comparing what happened in the korean war to an experience bonus in p1999 for christ sakes.

The amount of ignorance and stupidity that goes on here boggles my mind. The fact that you couldn't connect my example to the point I was trying to make is pathetic. Do you really need it broken down into 3 word sentences to understand? As someone posted also, read the book, "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie," perhaps that can explain it a little better. Either you are actually ignorant and have no idea what I'm talking about, or you are just trying to be an ass.

xshayla701
04-13-2010, 06:03 PM

lulz fail

Olorin
04-13-2010, 06:11 PM
screenshots? post them!

ok

http://tinypic.com/r/jgi8t0/5

Sadface
04-13-2010, 06:21 PM
ok

Oh Snap, looks like Olorin just owned somebody

BAN

Nedala
04-13-2010, 06:30 PM
ok

lol Juice you are dumb. 2boxing is using 2 accs no matter if you use them on 1 pc or 2.

JayDee
04-13-2010, 06:35 PM
ok

Lol

She asked for it. Now please ban this clown.

Finawin
04-13-2010, 06:44 PM
Ban.

harojaro91
04-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Did you even look at the fucking post? There is nothing in there about two boxing, my brother was on his computer, I came down to run his guy to my body to drag it to the ent. Two boxing? hmm I don't think so.

I do applaud you and the other idiots who somehow think that picture shows anything about me two-boxing.

Kanor
04-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Did you even look at the fucking post? There is nothing in there about two boxing, my brother was on his computer, I came down to run his guy to my body to drag it to the ent. Two boxing? hmm I don't think so.

I do applaud you and the other idiots who somehow think that picture shows anything about me two-boxing.

http://pamelavillars.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/stop_making_excuses.jpg

Tudana
04-13-2010, 07:00 PM
http://pamelavillars.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/stop_making_excuses.jpg

/wave the family flag again

harojaro91
04-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Not... excuses? There is nothing there about me two boxing. I don't understand how this even came up?

Rogean
04-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Operating two characters on seperate pc's is still boxing.

harojaro91
04-13-2010, 07:03 PM
So, am I getting a ban? I really had no idea i was two boxing... I wasn't on Juice while dragging the body, I mean it was logged in upstairs while i was on my brothers char downstairs. I thought it meant having two accounts up on 1 pc while playing both simultaneously.

Bones
04-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Can I have all your stuff?

L2Phantom
04-13-2010, 07:10 PM
RIP Juice

harojaro91
04-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Lol if I was actually going to receive a ban, then sure. I mean I'd probably just make people do /random 100's and whoever wins wins.

Intricus
04-13-2010, 07:41 PM

Uh oh....

I hope this doesen't mean another DDOS attack......

xshayla701
04-13-2010, 07:42 PM

if we are going to get technical, he was not operating one character while operating the other character.

if you are sitting, medding, waiting, whatever, and your brother can't find your corpse to drag it, and you go downstairs and you drag your corpse while NOT USING the other character, that's two-boxing? hmm.

Bones
04-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Oh and when that pic was taken, Gabrielle did let me die when she could have easily helped me, I had 1 imp on me, i started at 10% health, got the mob to nearly dead, and she was obviously active, as she turned and moved about the room while i was spamming /y /y /y, and saying HELP ME!!! Oh well

Well that's not very nice :(

Budah
04-13-2010, 08:05 PM
if we are going to get technical, he was not operating one character while operating the other character.

if you are sitting, medding, waiting, whatever, and your brother can't find your corpse to drag it, and you go downstairs and you drag your corpse while NOT USING the other character, that's two-boxing? hmm.

I believe "operating" is defined as having a character logged in. That was from my understanding because unless you are pretty skilled, you can't really function properly using two characters simultaneously anyway. What I mean by that is healing character x (by pressing spell) while bashing with character x at the same time. However, medding with character y while fighting with character x is still 2boxing, (right?)

Kyronix
04-13-2010, 08:31 PM
2boxing is basically one man running 2 characters at the same time. Because we didnt have any of this fancy alt tabbing or eq window bullshit, we had to have a second computer, aka the second "box" or 2 boxing.

Having a tank and following it with a cleric grouped and only using the cleric to basically heal would be the most basic form of EQ 2 boxing I can think of, it gets more elaborate from there.

*edit*

When I Started playing and I got to about level 40 ish, my buddy (a cleric) couldn't be on to raid ssra sometimes, so I would box his cleric for CH chains and things where they absolutely needed the extra healer, so I was leveling somewhere completely different than where the 2nd box character was, but I was still 2 boxing. Not necessarily together, but still a double box.

Sadface
04-13-2010, 08:48 PM

So under this criteria, I could log in my second level 50 druid account and regen/ds/nature/heal my alt all day as long as he isn't moving while I cast anything.

Good to know

Tudana
04-13-2010, 08:48 PM
does 2 boxing have to be observed and reported while in game?...or can someone be banned on hearsay?

JayDee
04-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Haha this is funny

Dally Llama
04-13-2010, 09:01 PM
it may be just because i'm high, but the arguements and discussion that goes on here is hilarious. But I guess that is what it comes to after 33 pages and a week with out EQ.

Anyways, you can get back to arguing because it is fairly entertaining.

Bones
04-13-2010, 09:04 PM
But I guess that is what it comes to after 33 pages and a week with out EQ.

Yup. EQ is a drug hence the dubbed nickname Evercrack. A week without it has serious withdrawal symptoms and psychological side effects.

Nedala
04-13-2010, 09:19 PM
I really had no idea i was two boxing... I wasn't on Juice while dragging the body, I mean it was logged in upstairs while i was on my brothers char downstairs. I thought it meant having two accounts up on 1 pc while playing both simultaneously.

Doesnt really sound like 2 boxing to me, more a mistake i think a ban would be a bit over-reacted.

Just said hes dumb because he thought it isnt 2 boxing on 2 computers but i dont think he should get banned for this action, if he did nothing else.

Olorin
04-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Well that's not very nice :(

In this case, I wasn't nice because Juice intentional dragged in a crapload of mobs into my camp. I couldn't have help him even if i was inclined to without dying myself. Hes a level 50 warrior with a crapton of hitpoints and that area is rife with casters, wth was i sposed to do sacrifice myself for someone who acts like a Juice? No, thanks!

As far as the two boxing thing goes, it has be based on their existence in the Norrath, otherwise the advantage gained over other players is just too much -- how many of you have been ripped off just doing a simple trade? I know of a few.

The point to the exemption is to allow other people on the same network to play, not to have a group pool of characters to play.

Arescorp
04-13-2010, 11:01 PM
We are aiming to have the server online by April 16th. This is provided all goes as planned with the server arriving and being racked and setup in our new data center without any issues. Date subject to change.

Update 1, April 12th
We're still on track to be up Friday, again as long as everything goes as planned with the setup and configuration of the server at the data center.

Additionally, we will be having a bonus XP week for 1 Week after the server comes back up. All exp gained from kills will be increased 25%.

Good job! Can't wait to heal my groups again! havent touched EQ since server went down ;p just isnt the same haha.

xvirus2501
04-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Wow, Rog changed it to 25% when it was going to be 50%. Even when we had a poll and 50% for 1 week won. HmmmmmmmMm

xvirus2501
04-13-2010, 11:23 PM
A screenshot can be easily tampered with and changed. Whos to say that person had a grudge against juices and just conjured up a random screenshot when the time was convenient?. From what I've read all that juice is guilty of is ignorance.

nick
04-13-2010, 11:34 PM
Reading through this whole thread makes me sad for humanity, for the most part. Until the servers come back up, I think I will avoid the forums like the plague.

Anyway, thanks for the server, Rogean and company. I look forward to lvling an alt a little on the xp bonus. I don't like it when xp and drop rate bonuses aren't equivalent, but at lowbie lvls it doesn't matter so much.

atvaata
04-14-2010, 12:04 AM
The amount of ignorance and stupidity that goes on here boggles my mind. The fact that you couldn't connect my example to the point I was trying to make is pathetic. Do you really need it broken down into 3 word sentences to understand? As someone posted also, read the book, "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie," perhaps that can explain it a little better. Either you are actually ignorant and have no idea what I'm talking about, or you are just trying to be an ass.

juice is a lot more elaborate on the boards than in game.

Gorgetrapper
04-14-2010, 12:17 AM
Juice is just feigning ignorance, nobody can be that stupid.

Straight from the rules that were posted in November.

"- Multi-boxing is not allowed. Players are only allowed to play one client per RL person. We will be enforcing this rule and we ask for everyone’s co-operation to just abide by our wishes. Breaking this rule will result in a ban."

ONE CLIENT PER RL PERSON. It can't be ANY clearer than that.

Ban his dumb ass.

Taslion
04-14-2010, 12:34 AM
Honestly guys... he got his brother's character to run up and grab his corpse. Its not like he was PLing himself. Doesn't seem like he should be banned just for that.

MogManX44
04-14-2010, 12:55 AM
Honestly guys... he got his brother's character to run up and grab his corpse. Its not like he was PLing himself. Doesn't seem like he should be banned just for that.

yeah this is stupid as hell and is being blown way outta proportion, dude made a mistake, humans often do that, not like he exploited a bug to make 1000s of plat or anything...

Recyclebin
04-14-2010, 01:09 AM
I lurk every once and awhile (browse the site) and it amazes me that some of the veteran members still get their way when they want something changed.

I haven't played in months and have a 35ish mage I was going to log on for the bonus exp since I haven't been around for awhile then seeing that the decision has been changed over to 25% instead of 50% only proves many things.

If your decision was 50% and you felt justified in it, don't cave to the demands and whines of the entire player base, while your at it put back the DE Mask, JBoots, etc at this rate.

Oh wait, your hardcore select few are the ones against any and all change that is nice for new or casual players.

I personally stopped playing at 35, while I enjoy the classic experience and took part in it back in 1999 when I was young and had time, I still currently don't have time to play this server, I was going to come check it out at 50% bonus week but it appears the hardcores have won again.

jilena
04-14-2010, 01:17 AM
I lurk every once and awhile (browse the site) and it amazes me that some of the veteran members still get their way when they want something changed.

Uhm, looking through the posts, most of the people posting their opposition to exp gain are new to the server just saying.

As for Juice, he has a terrible reputation on the server but I don't think what he did was reason enough to ban him if it's a one time occurrence. While I don't personally feel anyone is ignorant of the questionable nature of doing that, I'd rather give someone the benefit of the doubt at least the first time around than have bans simply handed out haphazardly.

Estolcles
04-14-2010, 01:50 AM
Odd question:

Is there a way to put in an option, like /bonus (on/off) for people who don't want the 50% bonus?

I'm definitely not one of them. *wants to reach 20 before 2011 :lol:* But for the people complaining that are. :P

Sadface
04-14-2010, 02:04 AM
Is there a way to put in an option, like /bonus (on/off) for people who don't want the 50% bonus?

......................................... r u srs

Budah
04-14-2010, 02:13 AM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5694

Wow... a stunning 50 people decided the fate of over 600.... wow

For those who haven't heard, it's gonna be +25% for 1 week...

NotInventedHere
04-14-2010, 09:28 AM
When it comes down to it, a handful of devs are what decide our "fate". Enjoy whatever they give us, for we deserve nothing.

Omnimorph
04-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Boxing is one of the big issues regarding this server, i can understand why it would be taken with a zero tolerance policy.

By letter of the law - ignorance is not an excuse.

Bentheb
04-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Its been common knowledge that Juice has been 2 boxing for quite some time now, just nobody could prove it.

Now you have a SS proving it, there should be no question at all, BAN him.

xshayla701
04-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Shayla isn't the brightest person in the world.

HAHA, you don't even know me in the real world, all you dumbasses spend 24/7 on this game and think you know shit. whether you believe there's no excuse for ignorance, or you understand what i was trying to say, it's not up to any of you. and what i said was, he was not ACTIVELY on one character while he was on the other. i'm tired of all of your insecure nerd rages and "I DISAGREE SO I'M GOING TO INSULT YOU ARRRRRR" shit for responses. i'm done trying to have a conversation, it's obvious YOU guys are the stupid ones considering no one knows the meaning of a real debate but rather you have to bring in irrelevant details to try to make yourself seem like the big guys. :D typical "bully" theory - make yourself look bigger because your dick is little.. i mean because you're insecure. so this is the last thing i will say to this. like, does insulting other people make you feel better about yourselves or do you just like to do it for fun? in that case, go get laid you pussies, and maybe that will make you feel a little better. you are all trolls, saying shit that is completely irrelevant to the topic: Server Return. that's what i've been trying to say this whole time.

notice that it doesn't really offend you when i insult you? (if it does, i'm honestly sorry, i don't think your egos are actually that small for it to insult you though. lol) so what's the point in fucking with people? seriously, he didn't fucking mean to 2box, whether you believe it or not. we both know that, his brother knows that, so it really doesn't matter what any of you say. it matters what rogean and the other devs say. i don't give a flying fuck what any of you forum trolls say so please, if it helps your sleep at night, you are welcome to troll and flame me and do whatever else you please :) because i have a REAL LIFE, i don't live online. this week without everquest should have been a wake up call for all of you addicts on withdrawal... hmm, maybe that's why you're all being little bitches, haven't had your drug in a while! :p

and it's up to rogean what happens, NOT you all, so again, get over yourselves. like you haven't made an honest mistake before??

now, can we get back to SERVER RETURN? and how the exp has been changed to 25%? can we talk about something relevant? or do we want to keep this going? i'm done responding to all of your bitch fits about me, juice and all the other nonsense going on here, so if you read this and want to respond, don't expect the same from me. notice no one has had a problem with me in-game? it's because i'm not dickwads like the rest of you. unless you want to talk about something relevant to this thread's topic, i'm done responding.

jilena
04-14-2010, 11:05 AM
lol nice large text. I was so tempted to reply to that with an appropriate lolumad? to see if I could evoke a bit more of that awesomeness.

Anyway, I heard on IRC that the server has made it one step further in the getting back on line process. This makes my dick a little hard. And not just cuz it's little. I promise a full on hardon (still little) when it is back online.

xshayla701
04-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Uhm, looking through the posts, most of the people posting their opposition to exp gain are new to the server just saying.

As for Juice, he has a terrible reputation on the server but I don't think what he did was reason enough to ban him if it's a one time occurrence. While I don't personally feel anyone is ignorant of the questionable nature of doing that, I'd rather give someone the benefit of the doubt at least the first time around than have bans simply handed out haphazardly.

Haha yeah no kidding, Juice does have a bad rep on the server, he will be the first to admit that. But I'd hope that there are people that can vouch for his efforts in trying to turn things around. He might still be an ass, but he's trying. And yes it was a first time thing (accidental 2boxing, I mean if we didn't start in November, how many of us read through every previous forum and news post before we started?), I'd hope more people would judge on that matter like you did, rather than his reputation because he is NOT one for cheating to get ahead. His reputation is one thing - not being able to group or buy/sell is something that should affect. If you don't think he's changed at all, then don't deal with him! But he sincerely did not know that was considered 2boxing. Like someone said, he wasn't PLing or cheating, he was doing a corpse run. He wasn't gaining anything, other than the time it would have taken to run if his brother wasn't already in the zone. Please, be a bit more understanding guys.

xshayla701
04-14-2010, 11:08 AM
lol nice large text. I was so tempted to reply to that with an appropriate lolumad? to see if I could evoke a bit more of that awesomeness.

Anyway, I heard on IRC that the server has made it one step further in the getting back on line process. This makes my dick a little hard. And not just cuz it's little. I promise a full on hardon (still little) when it is back online.

have to admit, i lol'ed irl :p

Agaron
04-14-2010, 11:20 AM
Boxing is one of the big issues regarding this server, i can understand why it would be taken with a zero tolerance policy.

By letter of the law - ignorance is not an excuse.

It ruins any server, even when enforced it's not hard to get 2 computers, and 2 ip addresses.

maultar
04-14-2010, 11:20 AM
Couldn't find this info mixed in with all the Glee like drama. But when does the server reopen, Exact date, and time down to the minute. or is that known?

xshayla701
04-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Couldn't find this info mixed in with all the Glee like drama. But when does the server reopen, Exact date, and time down to the minute. or is that known?

This friday.. I don't think the time is known yet. with 25% bonus exp for the 7 days following

Agaron
04-14-2010, 11:22 AM

Either Thurs night around 12 midnight, or Fri around noon, unless Rogean changed it.

jilena
04-14-2010, 11:23 AM
It's supposed to come up this friday. No time has been announced I think there are a few factors like when the server is racked up and connectivity is up etc that are unknowns thus far.

Bentheb
04-14-2010, 11:26 AM
well it was back on the server list a bit ago but locked, could be good news , but could be nothing.

maultar
04-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Thank you Sir and Mam. Unless the mam is a sir, and the sir is a mam, never can tell these days. ;)

xshayla701
04-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Either Thurs night around 12 midnight, or Fri around noon, unless Rogean changed it.

ah good to know! thank you

Thank you Sir and Mam. Unless the mam is a sir, and the sir is a mam, never can tell these days. ;)

i is a maam :)

Beau
04-14-2010, 11:42 AM
I don't see the problem with boxing two characters. It doesn't ruin anything, It's just another way to enjoy the game, and "classic" eq allowed it i bought a second account in early 2000. I understand the rules on this server and I'm not trying to get them changed (im actually having a blast on just one) I just think its silly when people complain about something so transparent as playing 2 toons instead of one. I can understand when you are running MQ and botting an entire group, yeah thats a little silly, and really only serves farming, but there are a lot of times being able to log into just two accounts is very useful and actually quite fun. Whatever though just my 2 cents.

jilena
04-14-2010, 12:01 PM
I don't see the problem with boxing two characters. It doesn't ruin anything, It's just another way to enjoy the game, and "classic" eq allowed it i bought a second account in early 2000. I understand the rules on this server and I'm not trying to get them changed (im actually having a blast on just one) I just think its silly when people complain about something so transparent as playing 2 toons instead of one. I can understand when you are running MQ and botting an entire group, yeah thats a little silly, and really only serves farming, but there are a lot of times being able to log into just two accounts is very useful and actually quite fun. Whatever though just my 2 cents.

Well... You are essentially taking up more bandwidth and server resources and contributing less to the community... It seems inconsequential, but if everyone did it you'd have a ton of people duoing with their box instead of interacting with the community and grouping. So I don't think it's fair to say that it has no effect. I think it just ruins a lot of the classic feel by making people less dependent on others. *shrug*

Beau
04-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Well... You are essentially taking up more bandwidth and server resources and contributing less to the community... It seems inconsequential, but if everyone did it you'd have a ton of people duoing with their box instead of interacting with the community and grouping. So I don't think it's fair to say that it has no effect. I think it just ruins a lot of the classic feel by making people less dependent on others. *shrug*

Fair enough, and being as i don't pay i cant argue :)

Agaron
04-14-2010, 12:04 PM

Plain and simple... buffs = pl'n/farming = kills groups + kills economy. Just because you get banned for selling game items for real money doesn't mean it won't happen quietly. 2, 3, 4, 5 boxing would make it so much easier to farm. Look at WoW.

Beau
04-14-2010, 12:09 PM
True agaron, but really if you wanted to sell items quietly you really dont need more than one account to do that. I think Jilena put it best with "taking up more bandwidth and server resources." I guess my point was boxing two characters never "ruined" a server in eq live, which is what ive seen a few people say. In fact it kept eq alive because unlike here, when you boxed there you actually had to pay to use those resources. Using wow as a reference is kinda moot. People boxed full groups in eq classic and sold items from very early on long before wow. For most people in the community it was in fact pretty transparent. But rest assured as long as people are getting free service on this account i support 1 account per person 100%. I just didnt consider the limited resources before it makes a lot of sense, thanks jilena.

maultar
04-14-2010, 12:39 PM
If you were limited to 2 accts to box and you always accepted others to group with you, that would solve the social aspect and possible hogging a camp. But hard to police that. I was going to ask that but came up with the answer on my own. Do I get a gold star?

Thorjorkill
04-14-2010, 12:45 PM
True agaron, but really if you wanted to sell items quietly you really dont need more than one account to do that. I think Jilena put it best with "taking up more bandwidth and server resources." I guess my point was boxing two characters never "ruined" a server in eq live, which is what ive seen a few people say. In fact it kept eq alive because unlike here, when you boxed there you actually had to pay to use those resources. Using wow as a reference is kinda moot. People boxed full groups in eq classic and sold items from very early on long before wow. For most people in the community it was in fact pretty transparent. But rest assured as long as people are getting free service on this account i support 1 account per person 100%. I just didnt consider the limited resources before it makes a lot of sense, thanks jilena.

I'll agree they never ruined a server, they however have ruined economies, and the social aspects (which are everything in EQ) At what point do we say STOP rule wise? My son and I both have accounts here, we come from the same top level IP and have an exception, but people playing two, three, four accounts by themselves? If the server admins slack up there, whats next? Bots? 1? 2? MQ? its a snowball, period.

Also, its the rules that count, not the "spirit" of the rules here. I know some posters here that say they don't have a problem with boxing, there is nothing wrong with it, and we should cut people a break. Ignorance of the rules is no excuse, and those that get banned, absolutely deserve it, regardless of wether or not you feel its right or wrong.

jilena
04-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Another thing to consider is that live had a LOT more casual and/or less nerdy players back in the day. This server would have a LOT higher percentage of people boxing than a classic live server where it was a rarity. I know that if I personally could do this I would never group with any melee char I wanted to level, I'd just have level a druid to 50 to first and PL/Box them all to 50 without even once setting foot in a group.

Even discounting server resources and bandwidth you talking about raping the shit out of low-mid level content. 1 druid+whatever they are PLing can take chunks of MM for instance that usually would occupy 6-12 players. There are usually 3-4 people doing this on any given day currently across the whole server. How much open low-mid level content would there be if you had 50+ people doing that at any given time? *shrug*

I believe the devs had posted that boxing would be looked into if the server pop ever dropped so low that it became more of a necessity. Right now though unless you play in the wee wee hours it's not too bad finding groups at any level.

maultar
04-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Maybe, and I do mean maybe, admins can observe the weekly trends, and allow bots from m-f from midnight to 8 am or even weekends. Basically downtimes since there are not a lot of people on to have groups but give late night people (3rd shifters) or Europeans a chance to do something?

I don't care either way I'm not up that late nor am I European. Just an idea man. :D

grindle
04-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Wow 37 pages lol well back on topic ...really looking forward to the server being back up :)

Bones
04-14-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't see the problem with boxing two characters. It doesn't ruin anything, It's just another way to enjoy the game, and "classic" eq allowed it i bought a second account in early 2000. I understand the rules on this server and I'm not trying to get them changed (im actually having a blast on just one)

There are sooooooooooooooooooo many reasons why 2 boxing ruins the game that I don't even feel like listing them all for the 100th time.
Edit: Thought I would add this just real quick - A few people people 2 boxing would not ruin the server, no. But on live, not everybody 2 boxed either. This is an emu, and it is free. You allow 2 boxing and everybody and their mom will have cleric bots (or some other bot char just to make shit easier for themselves.)

I just think its silly when people complain about something so transparent as playing 2 toons instead of one. I can understand when you are running MQ and botting an entire group, yeah thats a little silly, and really only serves farming, but there are a lot of times being able to log into just two accounts is very useful and actually quite fun. Whatever though just my 2 cents.

This is classic. You can pretty much do the same shit with only 2 characters that you could do with a 6 botted group. (aside from raid content)
Example. You are a warrior. You want a FBSS. There is no way in hell you would be able to solo that camp. If there was 2 boxing, you could just log in a cleric bot instead of finding people to come join and help you.
Some people would be nice enough to invite people anyways. But most would be selfish enough to just hold the camp for hours and hours because they want that FBSS drop all to themselves.

I know there are classes that can solo and do this too. But with 2 boxing, anybody at all could, instead of the few high lvl chanters and necros on the server that can.

Basically, some people have legitimate reasons for wanting to 2 box. However, too many people would take advantage of it to fill their own selfish desires.

rioisk
04-14-2010, 01:58 PM
If two boxing were allowed then I can guarantee a large majority of the server would box. I assume only the hardcore/very interested players of classic EQ are on this server and this population of people know the benefits of boxing. As previously pointed out, a single person could two box and hold the camp to any non-raid spawn all to themselves. Further, what incentive do these people have to group? Given the option of controlling two characters or depending on some flaky cleric or shittily-equiped tank, people would choose to box. It's the most rational/optimal decision to maximize leveling-speed/farming speed/seeing content/etc.

I'm sure those who have a core group of friends, family members, etc playing would disagree because ultimately a single player can't play two characters at the same time as well as two players playing a single character each assuming similar levels of skill. However, not everybody has that luxury of close friends/family/dependable group-mates. In most cases, boxing comes the norm.

This destroys the social aspect of the game because boxing promotes a solo-experience.

Nedala
04-14-2010, 02:58 PM
The big difference is you had to pay 2 accounts for 2-boxing at live servers; thats why the majority didnt 2-box.

On p99 the majority would probably 2-box because you dont have to pay any accounts. There much more reasons to not allow it on p99.

Funny how this discussion went from Server return to /ooc to exp bonus to 2-boxing :D

About the 25% exp: yes only few voted but there was so much crying about the 50% so the GMs decided to do something everybody could live with; We now have exp bonus but not that big, i think should be ok for everyone, its a good compromise.

Beau
04-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Arguements both supporting and against kinda go both ways...

Ruining the economy is a dumb argument because very simply put- this game is over 10 years old and filled with veteran players who already know the tricks of the trade and know whats good and how to easily acquire it. They also know what expansions are coming in the future and exactly how to plan for exactly what they hold. You already see people posturing for epics, because they know the quests and if they dont, the most descriptive write-ups are available from multiple sources.

In addition to that the server has been up for a good amount of time already and there is still a decent amount of time before kunark will even be added. What that means is very simply, the supply for mains(and even twinks) will be heavy and the demand will be relatively low. This means more platinum and more bank spaces filled with stuff that wont sell. I already see it with the serverwide auction function(which i personally dont care for) Its the same few people trying to sell off the same few things pretty much. The economy is already kinda off balance, and most of what is sold is more than likely going to alts.

At this point there seem to be a fair amount of guilds capable of planar and dragon raids(a lot of it can be 1 and 2 grouped honestly) so really the ease of acquiring high end no-drop items, will also decrease the need for droppable dungeon loot for mains. Also I would venture to guess that there is a pretty decent amount of platinum in the game at this point. It's basically supply and demand. What good is platinum at this point to a high end player that has everything? I would guess the economy has already peaked. What are you going to spend your money on, multi-quests for epics in kunark? You shouldn't know those exist this is classic EQ! But you do, and you also know the ins and outs of most every early zone city outdoor and dungeon, where certain things drop, how often and even (sadly) where to go get things that are super crazy rare before they get nerfed or removed. And this is conducive to a stable economy as per "classic" standards? Give me a break. Plus a good player at certain classes can already hold and maintain certain highly lucrative camps solo, you dont need a box for that.

It's fun. For everyone its their own reasons. But don't put up stupid reasons like the "economy" when you know very well what the trends for the future are going to hold because you've already been through it before.

For the record im still supporting non boxing for the purpose of not wasting bandwidth/server resources/etc, and i love that i can always find a group. I just like playing devils advocate when someone puts up a poor arguement :)

bigforest
04-14-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm not opposed to the bonus because 50% and 25% are negligible figures that will ultimately make very little difference.

With that in mind, my question is - why bother with the bonus at all?

I can't imagine it will bring additional players - in fact, I believe the server will be at record pop on Friday and Saturday already, bonus or not.

Maybe to make sure that everybody who logs on when the server returns stays with the community because they have a slightly higher level character than they would without the bonus? But then, what happens when it exp rate is back to normal?

I just can't quite grasp it.

atvaata
04-14-2010, 04:09 PM

Because the dev's love us and its their way of saying thank you for all of the donations and patience during this downtime.

+ it will help people pick up exp they lost due to not being able to play because of some kiddy hacker.

xvirus2501
04-14-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm not opposed to the bonus because 50% and 25% are negligible figures that will ultimately make very little difference.

With that in mind, my question is - why bother with the bonus at all?

I can't imagine it will bring additional players - in fact, I believe the server will be at record pop on Friday and Saturday already, bonus or not.

Maybe to make sure that everybody who logs on when the server returns stays with the community because they have a slightly higher level character than they would without the bonus? But then, what happens when it exp rate is back to normal?

Well from what I can see the exp bonus for a week is pretty much a Thank you from the Developers/staff for all us who have waited patiently while the server has been down. The majority of us will be thankful enough just to have the server back up and running. rog has stated its only a 25% now for 1 week. 50% exp is about the same as normal exp when kunark arrives so I see no harm either way. All it does is help out a little bit with those who have exp penalties. It will make no difference in the long run.

Also Finawin has made it very clear, there will be those who will whine over just about everything. Thats the general public for you.

Rog has found the middle ground and settled on 25%. If people are still ungrateful or if people are still opposed then I would suggest pretending its a server wide GM event or do not level up.

Gorgetrapper
04-14-2010, 04:21 PM
I don't know why you guys are being stupid and arguing this. No 2 boxing period, it doesn't matter the reason. 2 acccounts per one person isn't allowed, I don't know why you guys are even bothering to argue.

Bentheb
04-14-2010, 04:27 PM
I don't know why you guys are being stupid and arguing this. No 2 boxing period, it doesn't matter the reason. 2 acccounts per one person isn't allowed, I don't know why you guys are even bothering to argue.

There are people who troll this board that would argue with you over whether it is night or day

Zephys
04-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Gah, and I was all pumped to play it today.

Also, not sure how to feel about the EXP bonus.

Ok, now that the bitching is out of the way, Excellent work to all of the GMs keeping this server together.

atvaata
04-14-2010, 04:48 PM
t-31:00:00 till midnight thursday and we get to see if we can play!

/squirms

Mordachai
04-14-2010, 05:08 PM
t-31:00:00 till midnight thursday and we get to see if we can play!

/squirms

/cheer!

Yoite
04-14-2010, 05:31 PM
doesn't all this arguing put yall in a bad mood? should just be friends imo. Anyways see yall soon =)

Rogean
04-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Update 2, April 14th
Due to the data center being out of stock on equipment needed to rack the server, the server may not be up on Friday. It's about a 50/50 chance the server will even be up on Friday, at which point I doubt it will be in the configuration I need it to be for the network setup which will require additional coordination with the data center. At this point, it is a best case scenario is it will be up by Midnight Friday, but more likely Monday or Tuesday.

bigforest
04-14-2010, 06:01 PM
AHWHWHHWHW

Archerian
04-14-2010, 06:01 PM
bummer

magic
04-14-2010, 06:02 PM
400 nerds simultaneously lost their erections.

Lumathix
04-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Update 2, April 14th
Due to the data center being out of stock on equipment needed to rack the server, the server may not be up on Friday. It's about a 50/50 chance the server will even be up on Friday, at which point I doubt it will be in the configuration I need it to be for the network setup which will require additional coordination with the data center. At this point, it is a best case scenario is it will be up by Midnight Friday, but more likely Monday or Tuesday.

damn.

*first post...so you know how heartbroken I am*

atvaata
04-14-2010, 06:03 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Gorgetrapper
04-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Now it's time for people to start making demands like they're entitled to them.

Rogean
04-14-2010, 06:17 PM
I've done my part.. I made every effort to get the server up Friday and the DC Dropped the ball. I'm just as upset as the rest of you.

JaVeDK
04-14-2010, 06:21 PM
We'll live Rogean. Thank you for doing what you can and keeping us updated.

Xumosa
04-14-2010, 06:23 PM
i just died inside and cried irl qq

choklo
04-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Will have to suffer through another weekend of nice weather outdoors again.

atvaata
04-14-2010, 06:30 PM
its ok rogean we know its not your fault <3

xshayla701
04-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Update 2, April 14th

so so so so so sad. but thank you for doing the work that you all have been doing so that this doesn't happen again!

Akpainter
04-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Rogean IF the server did go up at Friday midnight....What time zone would that be in?

Seems stupid but if it is EST that is only 8pm for me...enough time to make some new plans if the data center doesnt come through.

Thanks much for all the work guys and see you in there soon!

Sadface
04-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Boooooooooooooooooo

Axion
04-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Dont BOOOO..... be happy someone is willing to do all this work! Just sit back relax smoke weed and chill!

Agaron
04-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Lol @ ppl who took Fri off.

Bones
04-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Eh oh well. Had plans to watch Kick-Ass friday night anyways.

xvirus2501
04-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Haha thanks Rogean for keeping us up to date.

xvirus2501
04-14-2010, 06:59 PM
400 nerds simultaneously lost their erections.

and 3 nerds An hero too.

Deathrydar
04-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Will have to suffer through another weekend of nice weather outdoors again.

You go outdoors? What's it like?

Shrubwise
04-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the update Rogean. For every person to whine about the delay, I say you impose a negative 25% exp bonus.

maultar
04-14-2010, 08:19 PM
I've done my part.. I made every effort to get the server up Friday and the DC Dropped the ball. I'm just as upset as the rest of you.

Not that it matters, but for us real nerds who rack servers in 10 minutes, what can be missing? Power cords, kvm dongle, 2-4 NIC cables, optional cable arm, rails, done. /shrug

Jaytee
04-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Damn! I guess I shouldn't have made my wife have a c-section to avoid our son being born on friday. Oh well, you live and you learn.

L2Phantom
04-14-2010, 08:23 PM
God damnit. I've been going outside into the sun so frequently this week that my skin is starting to turn a tan color.

I think I'm going to die.

Sadface
04-14-2010, 08:25 PM
God damnit. I've been going outside into the sun so frequently

Skin Cancer via lack of Vitamin P(99)

bcbswims
04-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Here's something everyone can do in the meantime, I found this on Youtube the other day looking for something i cant remember anymore. It's a "documentary" about the making of Everquest and it interviews some pretty cool people involved in the original project. The guy doing the interviewing and making this video is kindof a douche, but everything else is cool.

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtqG1u2hqUY

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2pngCH0F7s

Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLH8U8hMuoI

Part 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=022CU1p7Jbk

Part 5: (Episode 5 Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXucCOAOdOA

Part 6: (Episode 5 part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHpiy8wAPKc

Striiker
04-14-2010, 08:28 PM
While it's a bummer which we all share, we also appreciate all of your efforts Rogean! I was playing on the PEQ - The Grand Creation server and of course, it's down right now too. :( Ugh.. I may have to re-activate my SOE Live account to get my fix. (but it's so depressing there).

Rogean
04-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Not that it matters, but for us real nerds who rack servers in 10 minutes, what can be missing? Power cords, kvm dongle, 2-4 NIC cables, optional cable arm, rails, done. /shrug

Rails that were cheaper to get through the data center than with the server.

Isphet
04-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Oh snap, the old "$10 dollar cheaper rails will give us another weekend before we have to actually do work" trick...

I can't believe you fell for that one!

Rogean
04-14-2010, 08:45 PM
$50 vs $150

Isphet
04-14-2010, 08:52 PM
150 bucks for a rail kit; it was probably one of those transformer-style rail kits that lets you mount your rack into any size rack.

Clearly our only option now is to all show up irl at the data center and DDOS their exit door until they get our server up.

Or I guess we could go outside or something this weekend. Poo.

Thanks for trying for us! Aint your fault.

Sadface
04-14-2010, 08:56 PM
I was gonna say the way you came across was way less optimistic than 50/50. Sounded more like a 2% chance the server would be up anytime sooner than monday.

Oh well, party on friday and fights on saturday. Guess I will have to actually leave the home.

frediveli
04-14-2010, 09:01 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/a5eyat.jpg

jilena
04-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Dell rails are really nice and a little expensive. But if you have a rack designed for them they just snap in you don't have to bother with screws and other annoyances. And if you have a rack that has to have them screwed in you just flip over the end of the rails and it works with that too. They are quite nice. Come with a cute little cable management arm and a nifty little light on a dongle so you can see if the server is having issues from the back of the rack too (it glows amber instead of blue).

Anyway, so long as the time frame isn't "never" I am happy lol.

maultar
04-14-2010, 09:14 PM
I can over night some rails is it a 2 U box? Mine are from HP boxes though.

jilena
04-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Yeah I actually have some dell rapid/versa (whatever the fuck they were calling them then) rails from a PE2850 sitting here under my bed I just remembered lol. Not sure if the pins on the side of an R710 are the same though. La de da.

Rogean
04-14-2010, 09:37 PM
If someone wants to overnight some dell square hole rails, be my guest. PM Me.

Intricus
04-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Awright, someone send him the rails, along with any other server-rack-whatever shit he might need, so that I and many others can spend this Friday night, and weekend, playing Classic Everquest, instead of going out and partying and getting laid like all of those pop culture weirdos. THANK YOU!

Budah
04-14-2010, 10:03 PM
I can get laid AND play everquest.... all in one night!

Budah
04-14-2010, 10:04 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/a5eyat.jpg

^^^^^

So full of win I cried.

jilena
04-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Lemme look it up online and see if what I have will fit your server Rogean. Will hit you up on IRC if they match up.

Sadface
04-14-2010, 10:30 PM
WE NEED MOAR RAILZ

JayFiveAlive
04-14-2010, 10:32 PM
The P99 community just rocks :) look at these people willing to send rails to help get us back up on time... really awesome of you all!

Rogean
04-14-2010, 10:33 PM
<table class="searchresult" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><thead><tr><th style="" align="left" width="10%"> Supplier (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:change_order%28%27name%27,%270%27%29) </th> <th style="" align="left" width="10%"> Last Updated (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:change_order%28%27last_updated%27,%270%27%29) </th> <th style="" align="left" width="30%"> Description (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:change_order%28%27description%27,%270%27%29) </th> <th style="" align="left" width="10%"> Supplier Part# (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:change_order%28%27part_number%27,%270%27%29) </th> <th style="" align="right" width="10%"> Cost (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:change_order%28%27cost%27,%270%27%29) </th> <th style="" align="left" width="3%">
</th> <th style="" align="right" width="6%"> Avail (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:change_order%28%27inventory%27,%270%27%29) </th> <th style="" align="left" width="1%">
</th> <th style="" align="right" width="9%"> Customer Price (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:change_order%28%27price%27,%270%27%29) </th> <th style="" align="left" width="1%">
</th> </tr> </thead> <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">SelectedKey = "0"</script> <tbody><tr> <td> Ingram Micro </td> <td> Apr 14, 2010 </td> <td> THIRD PARTY PART SLIDING RAIL KIT FOR DELL R710 SERVER NO CMA </td> <td> BX1088 </td> <td align="right"> $154.72 </td> <td>
</td> <td align="right"> 25 </td> <td>
</td> <td align="right"> $162.00 </td> <td> <input name="selected_distributor" id="dist_radio0" value="1~BX1088~0" checked="true" type="radio"></td></tr></tbody></table>

Just gonna have this overnighted if you guys want to help cover the cost.

Olorin
04-14-2010, 10:36 PM
<table class="searchresult" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><thead><tr><th style="" align="left" width="10%"> Supplier (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:change_order%28%27name%27,%270%27%29) </th> <th style="" align="left" width="10%"> Last Updated (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:change_order%28%27last_updated%27,%270%27%29) </th> <th style="" align="left" width="30%"> Description (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:change_order%28%27description%27,%270%27%29) </th> <th style="" align="left" width="10%"> Supplier Part# (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:change_order%28%27part_number%27,%270%27%29) </th> <th style="" align="right" width="10%"> Cost (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:change_order%28%27cost%27,%270%27%29) </th> <th style="" align="left" width="3%">
</th> <th style="" align="right" width="6%"> Avail (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:change_order%28%27inventory%27,%270%27%29) </th> <th style="" align="left" width="1%">
</th> <th style="" align="right" width="9%"> Customer Price (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:change_order%28%27price%27,%270%27%29) </th> <th style="" align="left" width="1%">
</th> </tr> </thead> <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">SelectedKey = "0"</script> <tbody><tr> <td> Ingram Micro </td> <td> Apr 14, 2010 </td> <td> THIRD PARTY PART SLIDING RAIL KIT FOR DELL R710 SERVER NO CMA </td> <td> BX1088 </td> <td align="right"> $154.72 </td> <td>
</td> <td align="right"> 25 </td> <td>
</td> <td align="right"> $162.00 </td> <td> <input name="selected_distributor" id="dist_radio0" value="1~BX1088~0" checked="true" type="radio"></td></tr></tbody></table>

Just gonna have this overnighted if you guys want to help cover the cost.

Normal donation path? Or your personal account? How much is it?

Rogean
04-14-2010, 10:37 PM
My company's cost is $154 but I can only imagine what overnight shipping will cost, another $50 atleast?

Olorin
04-14-2010, 10:38 PM
My company's cost is $154 but I can only imagine what overnight shipping will cost, another $50 atleast?

Sending 50 bucks now

Zithax
04-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Sending 50 bucks now

Look at this guy, doing work.

GET THAT AIR!

Olorin
04-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Look at this guy, doing work.

GET THAT AIR!

I'm unemployed scum, this week has been tough :)

Taslion
04-14-2010, 10:44 PM
God damnit if I could find out where the hell my checks have been mailed to I'd donate 40 or 50. Unfortunately after moving houses I can't seem to find out whats been done with them.

Budah
04-14-2010, 10:46 PM
let me check bank, then probably $20

jilena
04-14-2010, 10:49 PM
Doesn't look like my rails will work per chick I talked to at dell... So inc money!

Budah
04-14-2010, 10:55 PM
hmmm, i've donated before... but for some reason I can't find out where to do it... anyone point me in the right direction?

Mordachai
04-14-2010, 10:55 PM
hmmm, i've donated before... but for some reason I can't find out where to do it... anyone point me in the right direction?

click on home and the donate button is on the right

Nedala
04-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Here's something everyone can do in the meantime, I found this on Youtube the other day looking for something i cant remember anymore. It's a "documentary" about the making of Everquest and it interviews some pretty cool people involved in the original project. The guy doing the interviewing and making this video is kindof a douche, but everything else is cool.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

thanks for the link. Interesting stuff, lol Qeynos = Sony EQ spelled backwards, didnt knew that :)

but kinda weird they never talk about Verant, didnt verant create eq??

bcbswims
04-14-2010, 11:01 PM
thanks for the link. Interesting stuff, lol Qeynos = Sony EQ spelled backwards, didnt knew that :)

but kinda weird they never talk about Verant, didnt verant create eq??

Verant was just a subsidiary of SoE, and before that it was called 989 Systems or something like that i believe, but SoE was at the top the whole time.

alot of names in EQ are just things spelled backwards, or anagrams, especially the gods.

example:

tunare = nature
the rathe = the earth
xegony = oxygen
rodcet nife = docter [sic] fine

and a whole bunch more

EDIT:
Quick google search found this, a list of a whole bunch of easter eggs in EQ, I don't know if they have Jenniys Two-Tone Curiass though, which is my favorite easter egg of all i think heh:
http://web.archive.org/web/20020203044116/amtgard.pinkpig.com/everquest/easterquest.htm

jilena
04-14-2010, 11:07 PM
I like the We Eat Zilla factions.

choklo
04-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Wow, if ever there was a time for a quick, small donation, this would be it. You guys want EQ this weekend or what?

Incoming!! a donation

Bentheb
04-14-2010, 11:15 PM
from the loading screen i had totally forgot about this one.

Warning: Half Elves Are Now .49999 Elves....

jilena
04-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Lol what expansion did they add the loading screen humor in? Velious?

yongie
04-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Inc 50

Spud
04-14-2010, 11:38 PM
get this man some god damn rails!!

Isphet
04-14-2010, 11:41 PM
There's a racist "working on the rails" joke in here somewhere, but it's not Racial Slur Tuesday, so I'm not going to bother trying to find it.

yongie
04-14-2010, 11:45 PM
Inc 50

Make that $100. Get them rails, son!

Nedala
04-15-2010, 12:00 AM
lol epic:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010822112416/amtgard.pinkpig.com/everquest/lith3.jpg

interesting in the beta of the newest EQ2 expansion was an NPC where you could get some new armor for beta-testing; you actually had to ask him for ph4t l3wts lol

another one:

Charm a griffon. Tell it /pet sit down. Laugh. Incidentally, this also works with numerous other mobs. Go ahead, have a charming day ;)

please someone gonna try it i wanna know what happens :D

Chucck
04-15-2010, 12:09 AM
So wait Rogean if we donated to get those things overnighted we will have eq Friday?

Edit: Just donated 20 anyway. Might not be much but better then just watching.

Judgement
04-15-2010, 01:38 AM
How close are we to our goal for rails? How much more is needed?

Budah
04-15-2010, 01:59 AM
How close are we to our goal for rails? How much more is needed?

$140 + 2 (unk) donations. Probably ~ 35-70 off

Somewhat
04-15-2010, 02:36 AM
Update 2, April 14th

I blame France.

-Somewhat

deathshade00
04-15-2010, 03:05 AM
awesome the sooner the better, i just found out about this server and cant wait to try it ... its been years

maultar
04-15-2010, 03:41 AM
I'll make the wife put in 20. She has the paypal acct.

On another note, why are rails needed to power a server up anyway? I suppose they are picky about the way servers are setup while running. Understandable but flexibility for a temporary situation would have been nice too.

jilena
04-15-2010, 05:04 AM
A pretty good/standard policy for this sort of thing is you don't put shit online unless you can do it right. i.e. don't throw a server on a pile of shit and plug it in just to get it online fast, you put it in the rack properly before it gets powered on and turned over to whoever to use.

This prevents shit like them just setting it on top of the server below it in the rack and later being like "oh btw we are turning your server off today to actually put the rails on it cuz now we need the space"... And then there being massive amounts of QQ.

IT people tend to be lazy as shit (at least the ones that don't suck) and thus if they don't do something right initially it tends to sit undone until there is actually a neccessity to do it right lol.

Anyway if everyone here donated what they said we should be p close to enough for the rails.

maultar
04-15-2010, 07:01 AM
Yeah, it all depends on the datacenter I suppose. And the whole scenario.

Is this a company who is letting you set up a server in their environment that has normally nothing to do with emu servers or game servers? Or is this a host provider that houses peoples servers for a fee?

Again this isn't a life or death server and setting it up temporarily with the understanding it will require 15 mins downtime to move in to a rack when ready isn't a big deal to us. But if they have strict policies then it's understandable. I just didn't know if this was a you don't wanna push your luck thing since they are doing so much for you already or if it is a host provider. None of our business but being nerdy I can't help. :P

Sorry all I have is HP rails. Funny thing is if I pull enough strings I can see if I can get some of these Proliant dl360 or 380 servers then you can have some backup servers lol. The hardware would be free but don't know about hosting etc. What city are you in or the server in Rog?

mognet
04-15-2010, 07:20 AM
Lol @ ppl who took Fri off.

I'm one of those guys :D. Luckily, I can reverse that quite easily.

On a side note, donated.

Doomapple
04-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Hubby and I throwing in $30 to the cause; keep up the good work!

JayDee
04-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Again this isn't a life or death server

Speak for yourself man.

Doctor says I am gonna die of aids if the server doesn't boost my white cell count by friday.

Rogean
04-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Ordered Rails, Overnight AM Shipping to data center.

JayDee
04-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Ordered Rails, Overnight AM Shipping to data center.

Does it make me gay if I want to kiss you right now

Striiker
04-15-2010, 08:57 AM

Only if you want tongue.

PearlJammzz
04-15-2010, 08:59 AM
A pretty good/standard policy for this sort of thing is you don't put shit online unless you can do it right. i.e. don't throw a server on a pile of shit and plug it in just to get it online fast, you put it in the rack properly before it gets powered on and turned over to whoever to use.

This prevents shit like them just setting it on top of the server below it in the rack and later being like "oh btw we are turning your server off today to actually put the rails on it cuz now we need the space"... And then there being massive amounts of QQ.

IT people tend to be lazy as shit (at least the ones that don't suck) and thus if they don't do something right initially it tends to sit undone until there is actually a neccessity to do it right lol.

Anyway if everyone here donated what they said we should be p close to enough for the rails.

Ya, if something isn't broke why fuck with it? haha

And Rogean, does this mean we have a good chance of being able to play Friday? :)

dali_lb
04-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Charm a griffon. Tell it /pet sit down. Laugh. Incidentally, this also works with numerous other mobs. Go ahead, have a charming day ;)

This is not new. Not sure if it works on P1999, but it always was good stunt to do in EQ. A sitting Griff in the air kinda looks redicolous :D

Another good stunt was to get at noob to duel you, (You being a Chanter - before they nerfed charm in pvp and duels). Charm the poor git, and run him around in Common lands for an hour or 2.

Nother one, tho not classic, it used to be ubah fun. When Velius just released, grabbed the new Monster Summoning, and running around in WC scaring noobs with a "Named" SG or Griff :p

jilena
04-15-2010, 09:22 AM

It's only gay if the balls touch.

Lumathix
04-15-2010, 09:42 AM
$50 pay pal on the way guys.

Thanks for the server.

PearlJammzz
04-15-2010, 10:54 AM
This is not new. Not sure if it works on P1999, but it always was good stunt to do in EQ. A sitting Griff in the air kinda looks redicolous :D

Another good stunt was to get at noob to duel you, (You being a Chanter - before they nerfed charm in pvp and duels). Charm the poor git, and run him around in Common lands for an hour or 2.

Nother one, tho not classic, it used to be ubah fun. When Velius just released, grabbed the new Monster Summoning, and running around in WC scaring noobs with a "Named" SG or Griff :p

The monster summoning spell was awesome! It'd be funny to roll into a camp w/ a giant, and watch people run lol. Took them a second to realize it was a pet.

Bayleo
04-15-2010, 11:19 AM
I used to pull that trick all the time. Another one I thought was fun (because I was a dick) was summoning Mod Rods and giving them to rats and skellies in Freeport. Back in the day you could loot said item from the mob after giving it to them, so it was like:

Noob_001 shouts "Hey wuts a rod of modulation?!"

Kirbie shouts "It's awesome. Right click it."

A Noob_001 has killed himself!

Bentheb
04-15-2010, 11:25 AM
<3 Topor-ing kiteing druids

mgellan
04-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Inc another $25, thanks for the server! When it comes up, it comes up, lets do it right!

Regards,
Mg

PS Whats really amusing is we had a shitfest in a meeting yesterday because we ordered a mess of servers to use as data transfer appliances for healthcare data and someone said "Did we order rails? Whattaya mean NO?!?!?" LOL :)

JaVeDK
04-15-2010, 02:37 PM
On a few occasions, when I was really bored, I charmed a kodiac in EC, buffed it to hell, broke charm with invis and then just sat around watching unsuspecting noobs get owned. Quite an evil thing to do, and I'm not particularly proud of it now, but it was rather entertaining at the time.

Bayleo
04-15-2010, 02:38 PM
I see druids doing that all the time in Oasis with crocs. Usually a group member or two will drop dead before even realizing they're being hit by a DS.

JayDee
04-15-2010, 03:36 PM
So what's the ETA now Rogean.

12am friday board time is in a little over 5 hours, wishful thinking ? ;)

whitebandit
04-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Rogean for President!

Btw, i do have to say, thanks for the break from eq.. I got to venture to the Adult Swim Block Party last night, Free Murs Concert and free swag! Drank a stein of stella artois! good night.

Kanor
04-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Oh my gawd I am so excited. Is the server coming up tonight ? I might just call off my date with my hunky new boy toy if this is true.

There's only one word to describe this server and that is Faaaaabuuulooouuus.

I am dancing to madonna right now in preparation.

L2Phantom
04-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Oh my gawd I am so excited. Is the server coming up tonight ? I might just call off my date with my hunky new boy toy if this is true.

There's only one word to describe this server and that is Faaaaabuuulooouuus.

I am dancing to madonna right now in preparation.

GAY.

whitebandit
04-15-2010, 05:56 PM
lul

Nen
04-15-2010, 05:59 PM
I know the server not being up Friday (seems likely anyway) will frustrate most people but this actually works out pretty well for me as I have relatives visiting me this weekend so I can't even play. Sorry guys.

Chucck
04-15-2010, 06:00 PM
So with the overnighting, whats the ETA now? I gotta know if I should keep tomm night off

Rogean
04-15-2010, 06:10 PM
I said the server won't even be rackable until tomorrow, so with that information, how could it possibly be ready to play on tonight. Even if it gets racked tomorrow it still may not be ready to play on until Monday. It all depends on the configurations we need on the network.

Elissa
04-15-2010, 06:29 PM
I said the server won't even be rackable until tomorrow, so with that information, how could it possibly be ready to play on tonight. Even if it gets racked tomorrow it still may not be ready to play on until Monday. It all depends on the configurations we need on the network.

Thanks for the updates. I'm sure everyone here appreciates knowing what the status is :)

JaVeDK
04-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Good to know Rog - thanks for the update/clarification.

jilena
04-15-2010, 06:47 PM
PS Whats really amusing is we had a shitfest in a meeting yesterday because we ordered a mess of servers to use as data transfer appliances for healthcare data and someone said "Did we order rails? Whattaya mean NO?!?!?" LOL :)

LOL we have a guy who does stupid shit like that. Or he will find "rack mounting equipment" on the cheap somewhere and be like OMG guise I totally saved us 125$ on this 12 thousand dollar server (this happened before I worked there). So I am looking at this shit when I get there and they have this ghetto as fuck rack that is designed for mounting small telco equipment and only fits old school servers that are shorter than their newer versions... Like newer servers are actually deeper/longer than the rack. And they bought these awesome shelves, that don't even fit in this rack, to put servers on. So they have a bunch of servers sitting on shelves rather than rails.. Shelves that are only bolted in on the front of the rack and are just sitting on some pegs in the back... so they could get jostled and drop a server at any time lol...

Of course this is the same person I have to argue with about purchasing warranties... "OMG must we spend 500$ extra for 3 years?!" "Uhh you do realize that each hard drive in this server costs 800$ right?" "But...."

I guess IT people do need someone to keep them from spending 8 trillion on shiny things but srsly!! lol

Deathrydar
04-15-2010, 06:55 PM

Take your time, do it right. Most of us will wait patiently.

And those that won't.....

mgellan
04-15-2010, 07:22 PM
LOL we have a guy who does stupid shit like that. Or he will find "rack mounting equipment" on the cheap somewhere and be like OMG guise I totally saved us 125$ on this 12 thousand dollar server (this happened before I worked there). So I am looking at this shit when I get there and they have this ghetto as fuck rack that is designed for mounting small telco equipment and only fits old school servers that are shorter than their newer versions... Like newer servers are actually deeper/longer than the rack. And they bought these awesome shelves, that don't even fit in this rack, to put servers on. So they have a bunch of servers sitting on shelves rather than rails.. Shelves that are only bolted in on the front of the rack and are just sitting on some pegs in the back... so they could get jostled and drop a server at any time lol...

Of course this is the same person I have to argue with about purchasing warranties... "OMG must we spend 500$ extra for 3 years?!" "Uhh you do realize that each hard drive in this server costs 800$ right?" "But...."

I guess IT people do need someone to keep them from spending 8 trillion on shiny things but srsly!! lol

It's kind of wierd rails are coming up a lot these days, the data centre we're putting the servers in have different rails than ours, some kind of reversable slide in/adjustable stuff.

Heh, $800/drive is nothing, I just got quoted $32/gb for new fibre channel SATA disk for our SAN :(

Regards,
Mg

atvaata
04-15-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm shaking and suffering bouts of rage from withdrawals. Thanks for the update Throgean <3

oldhead
04-15-2010, 10:14 PM
oh lord I hope the servers up this weekend...

I need a good two days of slacking in the fantasy world of EQ.

If i ever hit the loto, non of you will ever have to donate again ;p

Bones
04-15-2010, 10:52 PM

If i ever hit the loto, non of you will ever have to donate again ;p

So...fuckin...true. *scratches at neck from lack of evercrack*

jilena
04-15-2010, 11:44 PM
It's kind of wierd rails are coming up a lot these days, the data centre we're putting the servers in have different rails than ours, some kind of reversable slide in/adjustable stuff.

Heh, $800/drive is nothing, I just got quoted $32/gb for new fibre channel SATA disk for our SAN :(

Regards,
Mg

For just an individual drive? Or you talking about the enclosure as a whole? lol

oldhead
04-15-2010, 11:50 PM

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

good post

mgellan
04-16-2010, 12:04 AM
For just an individual drive? Or you talking about the enclosure as a whole? lol

Once it's a SAN individual drives aren't all that meaningful, it's per delivered GB of accessible storage... freakin fortune. They're prorating in some kind of storage virtualization stuff they haven't even bought yet LOL :)

Regards,
Gord

Intricus
04-16-2010, 01:06 AM

Yea, me too...3 12 hour days at the job are taking its toll...
beacuse all work and no EQ is making me want to troll.

Judgement
04-16-2010, 01:07 AM
3 12 hour days at the job are taking its toll...
beacuse all work and no EQ is making me want to troll.

brilliant.

Tsuken
04-16-2010, 01:28 AM
@evercrack videos
LOL Qeynos is Sony EQ spelled backwards :D
You'd expect them to give Qeynos some more accessibility-love if it carried the name of the company and game :)

jilena
04-16-2010, 01:57 AM
Once it's a SAN individual drives aren't all that meaningful, it's per delivered GB of accessible storage... freakin fortune. They're prorating in some kind of storage virtualization stuff they haven't even bought yet LOL :)

Regards,
Gord

Right right, I was referring to a single SAS drive replacement for a server costing 800$ not buying an enclosure new : P Kinda a diff scenario!

mitic
04-16-2010, 02:55 AM
i dont get it...so if not friday it will be monday...ok, np, but does that mean we will have no server on weekends from now on? thought datacenters & their support are on 24/7!

maultar
04-16-2010, 07:13 AM
Our bank buys trays at a time for the netapp. Makes it seem so trivial but then you see the bill. lol The dumb thing is they never seem to get the same drive size so you end up wasting a disk or two for spares when if it was the same size your original spares could remain the spares and all your new disks usable storage. I think it's 16 TB max per aggrogate though. Either that or 18. I wonder how much of p99's data is dedupeable.

Bones
04-16-2010, 08:56 AM
i dont get it...so if not friday it will be monday...ok, np, but does that mean we will have no server on weekends from now on? thought datacenters & their support are on 24/7!

The datacenter and the server are running on the weekends.
But judging from what Rogean said, the support isn't.

Zordana
04-16-2010, 08:58 AM
if not friday it will be monday...ok, np, but does that mean we will have no server on weekends from now on? !

hah mitic! =)

Lumathix
04-16-2010, 09:00 AM
The datacenter and the server are running on the weekends.
But judging from what Rogean said, the support isn't.

Which is the problem, because I'm sure weekends are when the server gets hit the hardest?

Tsuken
04-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Well if they are waiting for something from a supplier... the supplier doesn't supply on weekends, that's why the wait is till Monday. Server support might still be available on weekends.

Lumathix
04-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Well if they are waiting for something from a supplier... the supplier doesn't supply on weekends, that's why the wait is till Monday. Server support might still be available on weekends.

I'm sure it has to be. I realize this is an emulated free server, but still. There has to be support. I haven't been on the server longer than a couple weeks, but I'm sure there have been some resets etc on a weekend.

Weekends have to be the hardest hit days of the week.

Bones
04-16-2010, 09:10 AM

I don't believe they are waiting on a supplier anyways, they overnighted the hardware they were waiting for (rails i believe?)

Even if it gets racked tomorrow it still may not be ready to play on until Monday. It all depends on the configurations we need on the network.

Looks like work that needs to be done on the server, which wouldn't get done if there is no support on weekends.

mitic
04-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Rogean
Even if it gets racked tomorrow it still may not be ready to play on until Monday. It all depends on the configurations we need on the network.

Looks like work that needs to be done on the server, which wouldn't get done if there is no support on weekends.

so the server needs some configurations. i thought configurations are made by the owner of the server... remotely? so why monday and not sat or sun? (as long the server is racked up today)

Bones
04-16-2010, 09:15 AM
/shrug