PDA

View Full Version : Server Down

Pages : 1 [2]

SejalTraurig
04-08-2010, 01:39 PM
As someone who doesn't know all that much about running a server, that sounds like a pretty good solution. Couldn't you make it a requirement for registering an account to input your IP in one of the registration boxes, thus automatically tying it to your account? Or would that require a total revamp of the system / login server?

The problem is that a DDoS doesn't have to log in. Imagine a server as a house. That house has a driveway. At the street end of that driveway there is a gate. You want to have a party at your house, but the paparazzi heard about it. Only people you have invited can get in, but the photographers are surrounding the place. Your guests can't get to the gate to show their invitation.

A DDoS attack are the paparazzi. They aren't invited, and they can't get IN.. The gate is a firewall. It stops them from getting even onto the driveway.. But the people you WANT at your party - I.E., the people who just want to play EQ - can't get to the gate. The DDoS takes up all the street in front of the house.

girth
04-08-2010, 01:43 PM
That's a brilliant analogy.

postmoderntease0
04-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Plus your IP is almost constantly changing-- unless you've got a dedicated static IP (which usually costs extra from consumer ISPs if it's offered at all), the lease time is, at most, 5 days on IP addresses. Many are only 24-48 hours, so your login would stop working as soon as your ISP assigned you a new IP.

Thorjorkill
04-08-2010, 04:15 PM
The problem is that a DDoS doesn't have to log in. Imagine a server as a house. That house has a driveway. At the street end of that driveway there is a gate. You want to have a party at your house, but the paparazzi heard about it. Only people you have invited can get in, but the photographers are surrounding the place. Your guests can't get to the gate to show their invitation.

A DDoS attack are the paparazzi. They aren't invited, and they can't get IN.. The gate is a firewall. It stops them from getting even onto the driveway.. But the people you WANT at your party - I.E., the people who just want to play EQ - can't get to the gate. The DDoS takes up all the street in front of the house.

That was frakking amazing... Seriously.

Blink
04-08-2010, 04:23 PM
that's a big twinkie

jilena
04-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Nice analogy!

As far as Dell goes, I don't know anything about their home machines I have bought one dell home PC ever, for my lil sister when she was in college. As far as business class laptops, workstations, servers go... I would never buy anything but Dell ever. I work for a tiny ass company and the people who handle the money frequently just buy new employees whatever the fuck laptop they want or they think looks cool... So we have a ton of Lenovo and Sony Vaio notebooks all over the fucking place that I would smash with a hammer and toss in a fire in a heartbeat. Not because dell laptops out perform them or are more reliable, but because Dell support fucking kicks ass. The only support I have ever used that was better was from Sun and sun Gold support is not exactly cheap lol.

Brund the Decrepit
04-08-2010, 04:30 PM
seeing that server gave me an e-boner

Boooyaahh!! This made me LOL bigtime. :D

Malrubius
04-08-2010, 04:30 PM

Thank you - I understand now, and the need for the bigger pipe (wider gate) that Rogean mentioned and everything.

Rogean
04-08-2010, 04:41 PM
That was awesome SejalTraurig

andymc1980
04-08-2010, 04:42 PM
/nod /nod

SejalTraurig
04-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Wow.. Thank you for the accolades, all..

/blush

Cryptwalker
04-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Yeah, and its illegal to shoot at paparazzi, so, you have to find another solution...

postmoderntease0
04-08-2010, 04:48 PM

And to boot, the entire police force (i.e. the service provider) is solely in the market of making money and doesn't really give a shit if you want the paparazzi there or not-- they're going to say it's your problem and fine you unless they leave. The only way they'll do anything about it is if it's in their interest or the interest of the powers which support them.

OH SHIT! I'VE BLURRED REALITY AND ANALOGY AND NOW I'M GOING TO HAVE AN ANEURYSM!

SejalTraurig
04-08-2010, 04:52 PM
OH SHIT! I'VE BLURRED REALITY AND ANALOGY AND NOW I'M GOING TO HAVE AN ANEURYSM!

Lucky you! Now you will get to view the world like Walter does on Fringe..

/envy

JaVeDK
04-08-2010, 04:53 PM

Thanks for clearing that up and putting it in a context everyone can understand :-)

maultar
04-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks for clearing that up and putting it in a context everyone can understand :-)

Yes but he forgot a weed reference.

SejalTraurig
04-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Yes but he forgot a weed reference.

Ok, so.. Your dealer scored some Pineapple Express.. You want some.. But 5-0 got word of it and have his house surrounded, about to (rather ironically) smoke him out.. You want to get to his house to buy, but can't get past all the uniforms on the street.. So .. Your dealer is the server.. or something..

Mmm.... Cheetos....

nilbog
04-08-2010, 05:14 PM
And this is why Erollisi Marr was a great server!

Welcome Sejal.

Budah
04-08-2010, 05:26 PM
missing it for real now.... quit my yob yesterday & no EQ classic for me =(

epic fail....

Aarone
04-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Ok, so.. Your dealer scored some Pineapple Express.. You want some.. But 5-0 got word of it and have his house surrounded, about to (rather ironically) smoke him out.. You want to get to his house to buy, but can't get past all the uniforms on the street.. So .. Your dealer is the server.. or something..

Mmm.... Cheetos....

Pure genius (and so accurate, too)!:D

Crone
04-08-2010, 05:37 PM
That analogy just blew my mind.

Sebine_Emarr
04-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Mmm....Cheetos is Sejal's battlecry, you know.

Uaellaen
04-08-2010, 06:14 PM
damn it .. stop making me think of cheetos >< ... now i want CHEETOS!!!

postmoderntease0
04-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Dave loves cheetos too.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2004/20040123h.gif

jaileint
04-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Ah, Sejal is from Crimson Eternity, a great guild from Emarr's heyday. I was in Caelistis Ignis, during Luclin and PoP. I played several characters:

Avry - HIE Cleric
Ratanza - Vah Warrior
Jaileint - DE Necromancer

BTW: We all love Cheetos, regular, puffy, and extra crunchy.

Meeks741
04-08-2010, 06:45 PM
well if were lucky maybe the DDos Attacker will send us a Picture of Fionvia's Snatch! yea im not into this joke enough to google how to spell her name sorry

atvaata
04-08-2010, 07:17 PM
I MISS MY 1999

SejalTraurig
04-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Mmm....Cheetos is Sejal's battlecry, you know.

http://blogs.theworldlink.com/weird_news/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/cheeto.jpg

Pyratess
04-08-2010, 09:21 PM
People on PEQ are messing with us and keep yelling that the server's back up... :(

...And then 80ish people log off to check, are disappointed, and log back on, resulting in the PEQ server lagging mightily XD Good fun.

Thorfin
04-08-2010, 09:23 PM

wow was gonna ask what a DDoS is in laymans terms so i can explain it to my little bro but that analogy fits perfectly. thanks bro

Togo
04-08-2010, 09:51 PM
But the people you WANT at your party - I.E.

But we don't want Internet Explorer at the party.. invite Chrome instead, lulz 2.0

Sizzle
04-08-2010, 10:14 PM
I wish people wouldn't have hatred in this world :(

douglas1999
04-08-2010, 10:37 PM
*facepalm*

Why facepalm you fucking faggot? I'd seriously pay money to play on the server, big deal. Fuck off.

Shrubwise
04-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Man I can't tell you guys how many times the god-damned paparazzi have ruined one of my parties. I actually wrote that song for Lady GaGa, bitch still hasn't paid me!

Gorgetrapper
04-09-2010, 12:16 AM
It's Lord Gaga.

stormlord
04-09-2010, 02:21 AM
Anyone with $100 (probably less to hit a small server like the emu server, it isn't like it is a corporate web farm) and a contact (usually in Russia) can buy a DDoS attack. It doesn't take any special talent or knowledge. It is about as hard a buying a bag of weed.

Appeasing the attacker will just bring more attacks. The only real option, as many have already suggested, is to pay the price to put in the appropriate protections. Otherwise, just shut 'er down.

It would save us time if the attacker had a legitimate case (like we killed his brother and family by mistake and he wants the whole world to know). I imagine some people would hate the attacker because his attack hurt people, but some people would feel sorry for him because he lost his family. If appeasing him by showing the world how his family died did not stop his attacks, then further appeasing will do nothing and you're correct.

Of course, the ddos attacker, according to what I've seen, does -not- have a legitimate case. He attacked because his friend was banned for duping. Umm, ok. Appeasing would accomplish nothing.

stormlord
04-09-2010, 02:28 AM
According to Rogean the abuse is from UDP traffic so it seems that simply rate limiting the traffic should be sufficient to block this, with sane thresholds on bitrate and packet size that would constitute and classify abuse appropriately.

Given that the server runs Windows you don't have kernel level packet filtering functionality (http://thelowedown.wordpress.com/2008/07/03/iptables-how-to-use-the-limits-module/) available so you'd want a solution available at the switch level (http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=345618&seqNum=5) or before it arrives to the server.

Most co-location facility carriers provide this functionality, however you could easily use the same approach with a cheaply built unix based machine between drop-->server to rate limit and meter UDP connections. (http://www.linuxtopia.org/Linux_Firewall_iptables/x1544.html)

My 2 copper pieces, this sort of thing is my career outside of Norrath, it pains me dearly to see such an awesome project suffer from a few nerdragers and I'd be more than happy to donate my time and experience to help get us back on track if needed. Rogean, you know how to get in contact with me :)

It's a small world. Thanks for offering your help.

Finawin
04-09-2010, 02:52 AM
Lol you are trying to reason with irrationally retarded fuckwads

That doesn't work.

Nen
04-09-2010, 04:01 AM
Lol you are trying to reason with irrationally retarded fuckwads

That doesn't work.

Yeah... I think the only means of working this out is to combat the attack. This person has an agenda and trying to pacify them will only show weakness.

Vyntra
04-09-2010, 04:04 AM
Ah, Sejal is from Crimson Eternity, a great guild from Emarr's heyday. I was in Caelistis Ignis, during Luclin and PoP. I played several characters:

Avry - HIE Cleric
Ratanza - Vah Warrior
Jaileint - DE Necromancer

Hey, no shit. I was Ssetti!

dali_lb
04-09-2010, 05:10 AM
QFT! Where I work we use Dell exclusively, and we've never had a problem with them. I deploy all the servers, workstations and laptops - and they are dead easy to support and work with. And if I do have problems, ProSupport/Gold Tech Support is top notch at Dell (don't get anything less than ProSupport though).

I am well aware that Dell actually makes decent, and propably also good servers. :) The problem is their personal line of products, and the fact that their service is very much different in some part of europe than in the states.
Some have very good experiences with their support, but many others have the exact oposite, where Dell is ranged as some of the worst support you can get. Their pro support tend to be a bit better, but not really great :p

Sono_hito
04-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Heh, i just find this server and some dumbass is doing a DDOS attack. Why you bastard! WHY!?!

Honestly, cant wait to finaly get on. Ahh....the nastalgia

Fraud
04-09-2010, 11:17 AM
thats pretty awesome if youre already getting a nostalgia fix from the msg boards. shows how great this server is!

Omnimorph
04-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Heh, i just find this server and some dumbass is doing a DDOS attack. Why you bastard! WHY!?!

Honestly, cant wait to finaly get on. Ahh....the nastalgia

yiff avatar? wtf?

Cryptwalker
04-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Yeah, i am also only played 3 days with my brother on 1999 and BAM, down :(

Ok, its free to play and stuff, but its bad when you see that only 1 ugly faggot can ruin the weekend of 500 people. Ok ok, get a real life someone will now say, but whats cheaper then play a free game and not spend cash in alcohol and drugs.

SejalTraurig
04-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Yeah, i am also only played 3 days with my brother on 1999 and BAM, down :(

Ok, its free to play and stuff, but its bad when you see that only 1 ugly faggot can ruin the weekend of 500 people. Ok ok, get a real life someone will now say, but whats cheaper then play a free game and not spend cash in alcohol and drugs.

Don't forget the Cheetos

guineapig
04-09-2010, 01:55 PM
1 ugly faggot

What about his looks didn't you like? :p

yaaaflow
04-09-2010, 02:33 PM
I used to work as dell technical support (consumer level) and can confirm that we were fucking awful and useless. The level of service probably actually improved when outsourced to third world nations.

TheDudeAbides
04-09-2010, 02:40 PM
I used to work as dell technical support (consumer level) and can confirm that we were fucking awful and useless. The level of service probably actually improved when outsourced to third world nations.

I trained International Tech Support Teams for SOE

Trust me bro. The worst US tech support rep is a genius compared to those guys.

Sono_hito
04-09-2010, 02:44 PM
yiff avatar? wtf?

huh? My avatar is not yiffing, i dont get it. If you where trying to infer if i was a furry, well, i guess it would be obvious now, wouldnt it?

Nedala
04-09-2010, 02:46 PM
I trained International Tech Support Teams for SOE

Trust me bro. The worst US tech support rep is a genius compared to those guys.

no doubt

Sono_hito
04-09-2010, 02:49 PM

I used to work tech support for Gateway, Acer, and eMachines. Ill just put it this, way, we supported the hardware only. "whats that? Your dial-up modem isnt working? Well, lets reformat/reload windows and see if that helps. No? Ok, you pay for shipping into the repair depot and we will look into it."

I used to judge how well i was doing in a given day by how many people would tell me to go f*ck myself. Though thats not nearly so bad as when i did tech support for a company called "Funai". To put it simply, they make DVD players, TV's, DTV converters, etc. 80% of the call volume where people who couldnt understand how to hook up a DTV box. OMFG! Theres 3 God-damned plugs! Power, antenna in, and antenna out. Theres more steps involved with making a decent sandwitch!

Modal
04-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Theres more steps involved with making a decent sandwitch!

Can you walk me through these steps? It's lunchtime here and I'm not really sure what I ought to eat.

Beau
04-09-2010, 03:02 PM
I just made one... some wheat bread, with about 3 tblspoons of balsamic vinegar soaked into it. about 4-5 thin slices of roast beef, And 2-3 slices of deli cut american cheese... mmm was delicious!

Sono_hito
04-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Can you walk me through these steps? It's lunchtime here and I'm not really sure what I ought to eat.

Ive always been a fan of the Rueuben:
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/reuben_sandwich/

Kaleb
04-09-2010, 03:23 PM
So I am guessing no shared info yet?

Obviously I don't want details - maybe an ETA?