PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Resists post-patch (not necessarily a bug)

Lazortag
10-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Note that the sample sizes weren't the same for each spell because sometimes it just wasn't practical to cast a certain spell on myself 30 times. Also note that my observations at the end don't come with any evidence but instead draw from what seems to be the majority opinion regarding resists, particularly for crowd control spells:

-Crission's Pixie Strike (bard mez) resisted 1 out of 10 casts with 39 MR, 4 out of 10 casts with 85 MR, 7 out of 10 casts with 131 MR.

-Selo's Consonant Chain (bard Snare/Slow) resisted 11 out of 30 casts with 39 MR, 12 out of 30 casts with 85 MR, 18 out of 30 casts with 131 MR (with lots of partials, ie the song faded after only one tick).

-Fufil's Curtailing Chant (bard magic-based dot with a small MR debuff component) resisted 0 out of 10 casts with 39 MR, 10 out of 20 casts with 85 MR, 13 out of 20 casts with 131 MR.

Observations:

-Mez seems to not resist often enough with high (130+) MR. I don't have any evidence for this personally but based off of the accounts of several people who played on pvp servers in classic, it would seem mez should resist more like 9 out of 10 times than 7 out of 10. I'd also say that mez is too effective even at 85 MR from a balance perspective, but if it was like that in classic then I have no objections obviously.

-Maybe I just got lucky, but only resisting 12 out of 30 snares for 85 MR seems broken, especially when I only resisted one less than that at 39 MR. It should resist more, and at 131 MR it should resist even more than the 18/30 times it did in my experiment. Resisting 11/30 times at fairly low MR (39) seems fine, but again there isn't enough of a "jump" from 39 to 85 MR. Again I'm assuming this was just luck but it's worth looking into. edit: one suggestion might be to make all partial resists into full resists to make it more like classic.

-I added Fufil's into the experiment because I wanted to compare resists for non-CC spells to CC spells. I was pleased to see it pretty much never resisted at low MR, but then it resisted constantly at 85 MR (more often than snare or mez, which is ridiculous), and then roughly as often as CC spells do at 131 MR. The resist rate for this spell doesn't seem that bad honestly, but it (like all other non-CC spells) should resist less relative to CC spells. The solution then seems to be to modify the resist rates of CC spells at higher MR values.

Resists are currently better than they were before, but I'm not crazy about the non-classic partial resist system on spells like snare, nor do I like that CC spells seem to be more effective at the top end than they were in classic.

Thoughts? Please add your own tests if you can. Someone should also test root.

Palemoon
10-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Love the findings so far. I like Nulls Vision that enchanters/etc won't have to delete whole spell lines out of their spell book once the server matures and everyone is sitting at 150+ MR.

Bravo.

Lazortag
10-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Love the findings so far. I like Nulls Vision that enchanters/etc won't have to delete whole spell lines out of their spell book once the server matures and everyone is sitting at 150+ MR.

Bravo.

I mean, this is great and all, but if it's not classic then it probably shouldn't be in. Anyway, this is a debate for another thread, I'd rather people just put the results of their testing in this thread.

Palemoon
10-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Well you did ask for thoughts. And I am sure Null knows full well that his personal custom resist system with partial CC resists and durations ...is not classic.

Its his Vision, and we should be more open to it, in the name of a healthy pvp server.

Melveny
10-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Hate posting one of those " I remember it this way" posts, but.

I kind of remember mez actually landing and or specific mez spells being better than others in pvp / pvp scenarios. I want o say mez would land more often then any snare or root spell. I don't recall being rooted often, snared only every now and then, but Mezed fairly often (probably because of tash).

One example of mez spells I can think of comes kunark era, I know that's the next expansion. However the enchanters I rolled with used glamour of kintaz for pvp and dazzle for pve. Correct me if I am wrong and I do not have evidence of this, just mempry.

Palemoon
10-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Hate posting one of those " I remember it this way" posts, but.

I kind of remember mez actually landing and or specific mez spells being better than others in pvp / pvp scenarios. I want o say mez would land more often then any snare or root spell. I don't recall being rooted often, snared only every now and then, but Mezed fairly often (probably because of tash).

One example of mez spells I can think of comes kunark era, I know that's the next expansion. However the enchanters I rolled with used glamour of kintaz for pvp and dazzle for pve. Correct me if I am wrong and I do not have evidence of this, just mempry.

Makes sense, since Glamor of Kintaz has a -10 MR adjustment to it, while Dazzle does not.

Softcore PK
10-21-2011, 12:54 PM
I think at 100mr, people would resist about 9/10 mez casts as a bard. MR dot would land more frequently than we're seeing on people with high mr. Snare I don't remember ever landing past a certain point (probably as I got to be 50+).

Softcore PK
10-21-2011, 12:55 PM
And since we're talking balance, remember bards have the ability to lower mr. OoS, mr chant and mez songs all lower mr if they land.

lethdar
10-21-2011, 01:06 PM
And since we're talking balance, remember bards have the ability to lower mr. OoS, mr chant and mez songs all lower mr if they land.

oos is a velious spell, not classic.

Lazortag
10-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Bump, would like some dev feedback particularly on why non-CC spells are resisting so much. I think if we adjust resistances how I suggested then the system will be almost perfect.

Kelsar
10-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Mez's are so ridiculously easy to counter... if you're not carrying crimson pots you deserve to be locked up.

Lazortag
10-22-2011, 04:21 PM
That might be true, and maybe people are right that it was easier to land than root/snare/etc., but root and snare still land just a tad too much with higher MR right now. If all partial resist snares were converted to full resists, and roots made a bit harder to land, many people would be happy and it would probably more closely resemble classic.

Vile
10-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Please address this, Lords and Emperors.

lethdar
10-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Has anyone tested the resist rate for unmodified dots, such as the druid fr line, necros asystole,shaman dots, etc.

Other than those untested areas, if root/snare landed less i'd say the system was nearly perfect.

Lazortag
10-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Fufil's Curtailing Chant (which I tested) is actually an unmodified dot, it just has a chance of landing an MR debuff as well. Would that make it land less?

mimixownzall
10-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Observations:

-Mez seems to not resist often enough with high (130+) MR. I don't have any evidence for this personally but based off of the accounts of several people who played on pvp servers in classic, it would seem mez should resist more like 9 out of 10 times than 7 out of 10. I'd also say that mez is too effective even at 85 MR from a balance perspective, but if it was like that in classic then I have no objections obviously.

I'm glad you have the integrity to show us this. You probably being the only bard on the beta server that I know of, it could have been so easy for you to just let that slide till live knowing that it probably wouldn't get fixed for months.

With your mez being able to be cast constantly without worrying about running out of mana (right?). You would never lose to a caster for a long time. Hell... you probably wouldn't lose to anyone!

Thank you Giegue

mimixownzall
10-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Mez's are so ridiculously easy to counter... if you're not carrying crimson pots you deserve to be locked up.

Heh... you really have no idea about PvP do you?