PDA

View Full Version : first GM rant!

Secrets
03-29-2010, 01:03 PM
I had to post this. It's been bothering me ever since I started playing EverQuest back in 2000.

I normally had made my way through EverQuest by examining words other people said. I was like 8-9 when I started playing. I figured out what I was doing wrong quite easily, whether it be not talking at all, talking "Like This Lol", or lying about my age.
I quickly picked up on traits that a person should be using online, however there's one thing through the years that has never, ever, gone away from my memory, and to this day, I could never figure it out.

OTAY ;)

Why.

WHY would you possibly say something like that.

At first I thought it was a typo but then I realized one, the k and t keys are away from each other, and two, I was told to beware of women on the internet since they're all guys anyway.

So it haunted me. To this day.
Why on earth would a human being write something so vile, so vicious, that haunted me through the rest of my life?

So yeah, anyone know of this... word's origin?
It's been haunting me, I only recently found out why people use zOMG and other retarded things like that. Half of them weren't even alive to know about the program in which zOMG was used.

</rant off otay>

guineapig
03-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Eddie Murphy, SNL. Buckwheat.

badpoet
03-29-2010, 01:08 PM
It's an approximation of the way Buckwheat said "okay" in the Little Rascals, a tv show from the 50's (?).

guineapig
03-29-2010, 01:09 PM
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2807/otay1mx.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d181/blibonate/otay-birfday.jpg

Ferok
03-29-2010, 01:10 PM
It's an approximation of the way Buckwheat said "okay" in the Little Rascals, a tv show from the 50's (?).

This.

Trimm
03-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Internet slang in general is just awful. Any time I see someone type "otay ;), leet, omgz, teh, OVER 9000, rox ur sox" etc. it just makes me think of some 14 year old with a Myspace page covered in sparkly images and terrible rap music playing in the background. How this subculture of the internet became "cool" I'll never understand.

I think smilies are bad too, but can sometimes have their place. I know I've been guilty of using them. Usually its to convey the message of 'I'm kidding' to someone who can't see your facial expression when you call them a terrible name.

For example: Hasbinbad you're a complete asshole and I hope you die in a fire :) .

See the smilie on the end makes it ok, because I don't really wish death on anyone. I actually like Hasbinbad and wish him health and happiness.

Secrets
03-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Explains why I didn't remember it. Wonder why it was so popular in the early 2000's.

Shannacore
03-29-2010, 01:16 PM
I think smilies are bad too, but can sometimes have their place. I know I've been guilty of using them. Usually its to convey the message of 'I'm kidding' to someone who can't see your facial expression when you call them a terrible name.

This!

I use internet slang if I'm obviously trying to be sarcastic or retarded. People who use it in a serious manner kind of baffle me.

Malrubius
03-29-2010, 01:17 PM

30's.

Explains why I didn't remember it. Wonder why it was so popular in the early 2000's.

Little Rascals is always popular. Check it out sometime!

guineapig
03-29-2010, 01:18 PM

You got me...
I'm sure most kids that use it don't know the origins to be honest.
It has been passed down verbally for the past few decades before it even got on the internet. I remember using the phrase on occasion back in high school (pre-Windows 95).

At least in this case the phrase actually has a LONG history behind it.

karsten
03-29-2010, 01:18 PM
lol @ u trimm :eek::eek::eek:

FatMagic
03-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Internet slang in general is just awful. Any time I see someone type "otay ;), leet, omgz, teh, OVER 9000, rox ur sox" etc. it just makes me think of some 14 year old with a Myspace page covered in sparkly images and terrible rap music playing in the background. How this subculture of the internet became "cool" I'll never understand.

QFT! Man I've wondered the same thing. Drives me batty. Eh, such is the internet.

bionicbadger
03-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Little rascals was on TV in syndication in the 70s still, I remember watching it. And the SNL Eddie murphy skits were in the 80s and were quite popular. I had a buckwheat surf Tshirt when I was in jr. high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wo1-sI7MOQ

Hasbinbad
03-29-2010, 03:04 PM
..alas Eddie Murphy..

So much potential, so much great work in his early days.. ..all for naught.

:'(

guineapig
03-29-2010, 03:17 PM
..alas Eddie Murphy..

So much potential, so much great work in his early days.. ..all for naught.

:'(

So true. I personally mark 1992 as the year Eddie died.

Shannacore
03-29-2010, 03:18 PM

I was only 2 then O.O

Hasbinbad
03-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Raw was really the last thing he did that was any good.

Hasbinbad
03-29-2010, 03:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEovJYZsiDY&feature=related

Jeffwee
03-29-2010, 03:27 PM
the fact that you gentleman insult Eddy Murphy by saying he died in 92 is just sickening! If he had ACTUALLY died in 92 we would have never had his classic works like the Clumps, or Norbert, or of course his life long masterpiece.... PLUTO NASH!

guineapig
03-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Raw was really the last thing he did that was any good.

Come on, people still quote stuff from Coming to America. granted it was only a year after Raw but still.

But I will acquiesce and change my previous date to 1990. Another 48 Hours was still okay. I enjoyed watching him and Nolte kick the crap out of each other.

Trimm
03-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Hey, Metro was decent.. and Beverly Hills Cop III was ok.. right?

Ektar
03-29-2010, 03:37 PM
I just thought "otay" was cute hehe! It's just what I imagine a cute little kid to say. Guess me and the writers of the little rascals had the same thought.

Goobles
03-29-2010, 03:40 PM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110366/

Was my favorite movie in '95

Rania
03-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Well at least I have been educated at where the oddity of "otay" came from.

My personal favourites are the "over lol'ers". You know, the ones who log in and say something along the lines of;
"Hi everyone lol"
"How are you all today lol"
"Anyone got a group for me lol"
I fail to see how any of this is funny!

These types generally also say the acronym "lol" instead of laughing if you are ever unfortunate enough to get them on vent/teamspeak! "lol" is not something you say, it's something you do, and unless you are on funny farm meds, it's something you do when something is actually funny!

Excision Rottun
03-29-2010, 04:04 PM

For example: Hasbinbad you're a complete asshole and I hope you die in a fire :) .

See the smilie on the end makes it ok, because I don't really wish death on anyone. I actually like Hasbinbad and wish him health and happiness.

http://img.moronail.net/img/2/9/1529.jpg

Shannacore
03-29-2010, 04:12 PM
http://img.moronail.net/img/2/9/1529.jpg

You are the trolliest of trolls. Every post I see you make is of some retarded picture!

Not to be taken offensively.

guineapig
03-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Well at least I have been educated at where the oddity of "otay" came from.

My personal favourites are the "over lol'ers". You know, the ones who log in and say something along the lines of;
"Hi everyone lol"
"How are you all today lol"
"Anyone got a group for me lol"
I fail to see how any of this is funny!

These types generally also say the acronym "lol" instead of laughing if you are ever unfortunate enough to get them on vent/teamspeak! "lol" is not something you say, it's something you do, and unless you are on funny farm meds, it's something you do when something is actually funny!

I know exactly what you mean. I always think of this as nervous laughter.
I have this one schizophrenic friend who goes by the name of GregGreg. He laughs after every single thing he says, real manic-like. I think it's the drugs he's on but who knows. These people remind me of him. :)

Jeebus
03-29-2010, 04:52 PM
ugh, I think I fall into these categories sometimes. I really know what you mean about it being annoying though. If im not paying attention and trying to convey tone in my text sometimes i over do it

Putrid
03-29-2010, 05:30 PM
what about =P and =/ or even the dreaded =3 ? are these acceptable, anytime somone says something to me and i respond in a shrug like matter i do =p or =/....i only do =3 when i say meow, witch i havent said on EQ yet.....

Simon Belmont
03-29-2010, 05:30 PM
the fact that you gentleman insult Eddy Murphy by saying he died in 92 is just sickening! If he had ACTUALLY died in 92 we would have never had his classic works like the Clumps, or Norbert, or of course his life long masterpiece.... PLUTO NASH!

how dare you good sir to leave out I Spy, and the Dr. Doolittle movies. You know, the movie with the black chick who was borderline hittable, who became absolutely atrocous.

Shannacore
03-29-2010, 05:33 PM
what about =P and =/ or even the dreaded =3 ? are these acceptable, anytime somone says something to me and i respond in a shrug like matter i do =p or =/....i only do =3 when i say meow, witch i havent said on EQ yet.....

Describe the kind of situation you would be in to use a "=3" and say "meow" on the internet please.

Excision Rottun
03-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Describe the kind of situation you would be in to use a "=3" and say "meow" on the internet please.

"Simmer down, right meow."

Shannacore
03-29-2010, 06:18 PM
"Simmer down, right meow."

Hahahaha, touché.

Hasbinbad
03-29-2010, 08:12 PM
Come on, people still quote stuff from Coming to America. granted it was only a year after Raw but still.
Yeah, that was a funny fucking movie for sure.

"The royal penis is clean, sire."

Awesome!

Aeolwind
03-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Eddie Murphy's problem is that his agent apparently hates him.

Nutty Professor was good, when he wasn't Klump. The same thing befalls most SNL performers though with a scant few exceptions: Chevy Chase (Fletch, Vacation), Dan Akroyd(Although I loved Evolution!), Bill Murray (Groundhog Day is ownage!), Steve Martin... great comedians all, but just have a terrible time getting solid movie rolls.

ryuut1
03-29-2010, 10:07 PM
the little rascals MOVIE came out around then, featuring buckwheat and is "Otay"

Hasbinbad
03-29-2010, 11:52 PM

Nutty Professor was good, when he wasn't Klump. The same thing befalls most SNL performers though with a scant few exceptions: Chevy Chase (Fletch, Vacation), Dan Akroyd(Although I loved Evolution!), Bill Murray (Groundhog Day is ownage!), Steve Martin... great comedians all, but just have a terrible time getting solid movie rolls.
Ferrel didn't make your list?

Why don't you get me a beer.

NOW!!! WHAT THE FUCK WHY ARE YOU STILL STANDING THERE?!?! NOW NOW NOW!!!~

Jify
03-29-2010, 11:54 PM
8)

Eternal-Elf
03-30-2010, 12:21 AM
I dun know wut you guys are tlking abt. I nvr use abbreviations or int. slang wrds. So i guess Im o'tay?

Shannacore
03-30-2010, 12:23 AM
I dun know wut you guys are tlking abt. I nvr use abbreviations or int. slang wrds. So i guess Im o'tay?

Oof, my eyyyes.

Tudana
04-02-2010, 08:40 AM

you left out of the slag list.....kkthx

guineapig
04-02-2010, 09:28 AM

Bill Murray can do no wrong!

Cowboy
04-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Ferrel didn't make your list?

Why don't you get me a beer.

NOW!!! WHAT THE FUCK WHY ARE YOU STILL STANDING THERE?!?! NOW NOW NOW!!!~

Would anybody hate me for making a character named Jacobim Mugatu??

Murferoo
04-02-2010, 01:26 PM
I only recently found out why people use zOMG and other retarded things like that. Half of them weren't even alive to know about the program in which zOMG was used.

</rant off otay>

Hmm?

zOMG is due to the z key being next to the shift key

Dumesh Uhl'Belk
04-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Hmm?

zOMG is due to the z key being next to the shift key

like my personal hectic favorites, "hrelp!" and "hjeal!"

Aeolwind
04-02-2010, 02:50 PM
My fave is wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwdddddddddddsssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

guineapig
04-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Would anybody hate me for making a character named Jacobim Mugatu??

You should just call him Mugatu (no sir name required) and I would only hate yobecause I didn't think of it first. :)

Vanech
04-03-2010, 03:43 AM
Bill Murray can do no wrong!

He did wrong in Zombieland, he even admits it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kckx-uuQkWI)!

Hasbinbad
04-03-2010, 04:57 AM
Garfield WAS horrible! :P

I loved Garfield too. :(