PDA

View Full Version : the differances of classes in pvp

bakkily
08-22-2011, 03:40 PM
i've never really pvp'd in eq, and in other mmo's ive done pvp in, some classes are better at it then others

over all i'd like to very much play on this server, but not too certain what to play, i've been thinking about a ogre shaman

seems to me that a good dot class like necro is'nt a bad idea either, but just dont know

may play a cleric for the hell of it, i for one enjoy grouping, and am not really into the playing by myself and trying to gank others

Kope
08-22-2011, 03:42 PM
i've never really pvp'd in eq, and in other mmo's ive done pvp in, some classes are better at it then others

over all i'd like to very much play on this server, but not too certain what to play, i've been thinking about a ogre shaman

seems to me that a good dot class like necro is'nt a bad idea either, but just dont know

may play a cleric for the hell of it, i for one enjoy grouping, and am not really into the playing by myself and trying to gank others

Shamans are good for their durability but they get resisted a LOT, it's very easy to raise pr/dr/cr and then shamans just basically attack and survive.

Necros have unresistable spells and ROCK in pvp.

Druids rock as well.

Wiz's are good end of kunark/velious and rock past that

SKs are good.

Enchs are annoying for their debuffing.

bakkily
08-22-2011, 03:46 PM
how good are mages?

Kope
08-22-2011, 03:47 PM
how good are mages?

Not great, but can be annoying. Mage spells are easy to resist if you have the gear (which every vet will be going for resist gear).

Nasty once you get the epic pet.

bakkily
08-22-2011, 03:49 PM
yea, i just hope i dont see people rolling 30 necros, and druids and such

i dont think a cleric would do great them selves in pvp, but in tag teaming i bet not so bad

Vile
08-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Speculation is useless right now until we know how resists are going to work..

Smedy
08-22-2011, 04:25 PM
exactly, but ogre shaman is always a good roll, in case people don't hack with cure counters.

Ogre is the way to go for any caster class that has ogre in the race pick, because of the no frontal stun. So ogre sk also much better than troll sk, that 10 regen at 60 really don't matter, rather lifetap without issues.

Doors
08-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Gonna be a fuckton of druids, necros, mages, shamans. Classic is caster dominated usually.

Doors
08-22-2011, 04:32 PM
i dont think a cleric would do great them selves in pvp, but in tag teaming i bet not so bad

Ask seary how good clerics with hide can be.

bakkily
08-22-2011, 04:41 PM
halflings automatically get hide?

back on live, i mainly played a rog, and raided with a friends cleric, then switched to the ranger as my main, though in classic it was the rog when i played, luclin+ more of the ranger, got to time

but i'm not too hardcore on arcane classes, though i do enjoy the mage, in pvp with melee, rogs i see can be good on quick ambush, quickly bs, then go back to sneak hide, but with low hp i see how they can be nuked to death quickly

wars, just go in swinging, and hope to live, or be said to die

rangers, have track, good in a team, or else die

pals, sk's i see both good for pvp, heavily clad in plate, with good resist twords arcane or priest classes go in and swing, steal hp and stun till their opponents dead

clerics, no idea, at the lower lvls i see a sorta tough, but at higher lvls may not be so bad

i just like to play shamans because i over all enjoy the class the most

ill never play a druid

but i do see the necro and other (not saying necros are arcane) but other arcane classes easily teaming up and wooping a ton of ass

XiakenjaTZ
08-22-2011, 04:49 PM
I was thinking Halfling Cleric. Hide is great fun on the newbs. People always accuse you of hacking if they don't have see invis up. Great raid class, Ok PvPer, fun as a duo. Cant solo any good loot drops though.

Will we see racial Innoruk loots here? Thats some minor consideration, 20MR boots are amazing.

Shaman is my 2nd choice, they have great utility, can solo camps, one of the few caster classes that actually gets more powerful in Velious (long ways away I know..)

I did not know that Shaman DoTs were resisted that bad. To me it seems like a Shaman would be pretty beastly if their DoTs would land. I mean who really carries around cure pots or keeps cure up except the "pros".

What always bugged me about Druids is that their best DoTs are easily dispellable. I was no expert PvPer but I can't think of too many times I was killed by a druid except Lasher or an epic druid when it was broken.

Xiakenja

XiakenjaTZ
08-22-2011, 04:55 PM
And to Bakkily:

EZ mode during classic= Mage, Necro (need to understand you spells), Wizard.
All mele = tougher to get kills
Hybrids have their benefits during classic and kunark

Kunark is a bit more even all around. Velious tilts it a bit to the mele classes.

Salty
08-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Paladins are good when they get Mith 2hander.

They are sick if your pal is playing a cleric.

Double stuns is absolute rape for people inside Lower Guk fighting over manastone.

Safon
08-22-2011, 06:00 PM
How are bards in pvp?

bakkily
08-23-2011, 08:26 AM
dunno on bards, can maybe covertly train a shit ton of mobs on people, i'd think they're great for team pvp then solo, but i may be wrong

been thinking about a monk maybe to play, i enjoy the class very much, solo i'd say they would manage in pvp, and a great class ive played before and enjoy very much, and can usally lvl up quickily

So you top pvpers, the elite of eq pvp on live, what all did you play?

beentheredonethat
08-23-2011, 10:25 AM
how good are mages?

not as good as other casters due to lack of escape mechanisms.

by far the most rewarding classes will probably be druid / wizard. Thats how it was on rallos zek.

cleriks were good in a group since they can heal, necros were not too bad but they usually got killed before their target died so it wasn't all that.

not sure about shamans, i've never played one and they weren't too popular on rallos.

Bloodfart
08-23-2011, 10:41 AM
How are bards in pvp?

I was a bard on Sullon Zek and it was the funnest gaming experience of my life as a stoned gamer.

There wasn't a class I couldn't take as long as they weren't too close to zone; just need to prime the right set of songs for the occasion.

The trick is you need to be balls-out to get your skills and confidence up with what a bard can pull off in pvp. For casters try and hurt them a bit with charmed pets, dots, or fly by jousting (when you zip through someone at high speed with low attack rate but high damage weapons), then spam bellow while attacking with 2 fast weaps until the caster is low enough and hit denon's desperate dirge for a surprise. It basically acts like a weaker harm touch and surprises the fuck out of people.

Melee obviously snare and chant them while doing the occasional joust hit.

Apart from soloing it was insanely fun to be a bard with a good gank partner. I'd track people, zip us in at the speed of light, do whatever i do to fuck them up while my buddy SK, Wiz, or Monk assisted.

Plus being able to zip away from trouble is really fun, results in few deaths, and really pisses off your enemies.

Pudge
08-23-2011, 11:01 AM
bards in pvp are very good for groups. because of this they are often the first target. if you're out of group, you'd have to play very well to be more than a mere annoyance. it is hard to play a bard on a pvp server

i would stick to shaman if you know the class. they have cheetah, nukes, dots, group buffs, heals.. i don't think their poison/disease gets resisted too much, but then again i don't know what the resist system is like. just know that often, poison and disease are harder to resist than fire/cold/magic, and that often, ppl do not pump their poison/disease resist because they are more worried about nukes than they are about diseases. less classes cast poison/disease, PLUS they are curable, so there is less incentive to pump the resist. dont let their curability fool you though, most ppl wont be able to cure your shit after it lands.

Doors
08-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Venom of the snake.

lethdar
08-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Bards can be baller A+ guild destroyers, or terrible scrubs that get offed right at the start of any conflicts.

Choose your destiny brah!

bakkily
08-23-2011, 12:15 PM
yea really, i just figure i'd like to play some more of the original eq areas, but then on p99, ive lvld a few chars to 50, and its a bitch to lvl them all, played monk as a alt on live, but didnt really exactly delve into the class like the ranger or rog, but thinking i may aim for that, but i'm more of the person that only sticks to one character, so far thinking of either cleric, shaman or monk, i'd figure a ranger wouldnt be too bad at pvp lvl 30+, but below that they could easily be able to get a few kills here or there with the bow, which takes time to get archery/fletching and good arrows, the snare bow kite works on pure melees, but figure against some casters may be a bit tough but doable

Crenshinabon
08-23-2011, 01:54 PM
I have always enjoyed EQ pvp. I am more of an individual kind of person so mostly utility classes like bard/chanter I think are not for me. I played a Shadowknight in classic before they had lifetaps and had a terrible experience. I ended up swapping to an enchanter and had a pretty good time but I am looking for a class with some heals this time around.

Considering that Cleric looks out of the question just since everyone and there kids are going to be stacking MR. I like the idea of a Paladin, but no levitate/speed/seeinvis seems to hurt the soloability. Also Paladin is all MR as well, so not much of a chance to CC with root/stuns that will land not very often. So this leaves me with shadowknight/druid/shaman/necromancer. Druid I have always enjoyed trying to kill and does not really look like my playstyle. I like to be a bit more buff. Necromancer is freaking awesome but I have a feeling will be most popular class.

This puts me down to Shadowknight or Shaman. Honestly if Kunark is in game I would probably go with iksar shaman. But I do not think we know if Kunark will be in yet?

Xantille
08-23-2011, 02:33 PM
This puts me down to Shadowknight or Shaman. Honestly if Kunark is in game I would probably go with iksar shaman. But I do not think we know if Kunark will be in yet?

There's no way Kunark will be in when the server starts, brah.

As for class selection, just make trios of bard, healer, DPS and you'll be A++++++.

bakkily
08-24-2011, 04:39 PM
i just personally want to sort stay way from hybrids, take for ever to lvl up, but then again

i'm thinking of doing a ranger, or possibly a rog

how well does a ranger do in pvp?

dusk883
08-24-2011, 04:53 PM
How are bards in pvp?

Just my experience. Probably had 4302 kills on Tallon Zek. 1 of which was a Bard.

(Yes, I probably died 4302 times, too)

beentheredonethat
08-24-2011, 05:23 PM
i just personally want to sort stay way from hybrids, take for ever to lvl up, but then again

i'm thinking of doing a ranger, or possibly a rog

how well does a ranger do in pvp?

it will depend on gear. on rallos zek (everyone ran naked) and with no gear and no resists casters basically ruled the game.
once melee were able to get enough mr gear, it was exact opposite.

beentheredonethat
08-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Just my experience. Probably had 4302 kills on Tallon Zek. 1 of which was a Bard.

(Yes, I probably died 4302 times, too)

what makes bards so good? I hear people talk about them, but I've never really faced one.

Kope
08-24-2011, 05:33 PM
what makes bards so good? I hear people talk about them, but I've never really faced one.

Run speed
cast while running (consumables etc...)
nullify magic
crazy resist songs
decent melee
any kind of spell while moving :P.

beentheredonethat
08-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Run speed
cast while running (consumables etc...)
nullify magic
crazy resist songs
decent melee
any kind of spell while moving :P.

wow nice!

Crenshinabon
08-25-2011, 04:13 AM
Ok guys I got a question train for ya if you know your melee.

I have been obsessed looking over classes etc with the hint of red99 getting closer. I was thinking shaman at first but this is my scenario. I currently have a lvl 50 Paladin on the emu pvp server and he rocks. I have a lot of fun with him. Shamans and druids seem like np because all i do is dispell anything they throw at me and they are left using subpar nukes (i have feeling all pros will dispell a lot). I really like the paladin on vztz and I seem to outlast any class while still hitting pretty fkin hard with my mith 2hander. Level 50 I am pumping out around 140 damage. 280 on a good double swing total. Self paladin buffed.

Now my dilemma is that people say that melee damage is VERY reduced in true classic p99 code. Is this true? Am I going to be playing and then soon realize that my paladin does not rock nearly as much as I was hoping because of his lowered damage output? (which already wasnt "that" great)

Isnt a SK/paladin/ranger damage almost identicle? Sks and paladins seem like they would be very close. Both using 2hander and double attack. (Sks lifetap numbers look like their max lifetap is like 45hp? lol, ouch) Where as the ranger achieves almost the same using duel wield/double attack (also with subpar nukes)? Are all these classes suffering from the lowered damage output? If this is the case then maybe a hybrid isnt for me. I would like to be able to kill someone every now and then (not using harm touch, meh)

Maybe Ranger sounds more like my fit? They do more damage?

Thanks for any pro melee people out there giving input about classic p99!~

SearyxTZ
08-25-2011, 04:21 AM
I will be playing Searyx Bardkiller the ogre SK

bakkily
08-25-2011, 04:27 AM
yea i'm rolling a ranger, damn why do i put myself through hell playing hybrids