PDA

View Full Version : So long and thanks for all the fish

Nostalgiabait
02-20-2024, 10:49 PM
I'm hanging up my cleats on EQ and I'd like to say a few parting words.

I found P99 looking to indulge myself in nostalgia and have some fun. Happily, I can announce the mission was a complete success. While I don't have the time to play moving forward, I didn't feel right without writing a conclusion to this adventure.

First, thanks to the folks who put together P99 and maintain it. Without your efforts, I could not have refreshed all my good memories of this game.

I'd like to thank all the folks on the Green server. Pretty much universally you were all cool as hell to a player restarting with nothing at all. Thanks to the helpful player base I was able to build a raid-level toon from a zero start in just a few weeks. Complete strangers were generous time and time again and this really helped me get the most out of the time I had to play.

I've already given thanks to the guild that let me raid with them, even though my new character didn't have that much to offer. They patiently put up with me re-learning everything about the high-end game with all the oopses and mistakes I made not remembering how to get through and around all the raid zones.

I'd like to thank the people who put on this forum the useful information that got me restarted, including the tech support in setting up and all the detailed game mechanics so I could understand the environment again.

If I had more time on my hands I would definitely be playing with you all well into the future.

Thank you all for everything and may your good karma return a thousand-fold.

magnetaress
02-21-2024, 05:50 AM
Goodbye and G-d speed

Garnaak
02-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Your toons don't get purged for non-use, so no need to quit. I took years off at one point in the past. Recently been on couple weeks on/ couple weeks off mode. Won't BIS slot a toon in casual mode, but still enjoyable to play that style. Good luck in your future.

cd288
02-21-2024, 11:43 AM
I'm hanging up my cleats on EQ and I'd like to say a few parting words.

I found P99 looking to indulge myself in nostalgia and have some fun. Happily, I can announce the mission was a complete success. While I don't have the time to play moving forward, I didn't feel right without writing a conclusion to this adventure.

First, thanks to the folks who put together P99 and maintain it. Without your efforts, I could not have refreshed all my good memories of this game.

I'd like to thank all the folks on the Green server. Pretty much universally you were all cool as hell to a player restarting with nothing at all. Thanks to the helpful player base I was able to build a raid-level toon from a zero start in just a few weeks. Complete strangers were generous time and time again and this really helped me get the most out of the time I had to play.

I've already given thanks to the guild that let me raid with them, even though my new character didn't have that much to offer. They patiently put up with me re-learning everything about the high-end game with all the oopses and mistakes I made not remembering how to get through and around all the raid zones.

I'd like to thank the people who put on this forum the useful information that got me restarted, including the tech support in setting up and all the detailed game mechanics so I could understand the environment again.

If I had more time on my hands I would definitely be playing with you all well into the future.

Thank you all for everything and may your good karma return a thousand-fold.

The good news is that P99 will be here again if you ever get the itch to hop into Norrath once more. I think most players are on again off again

magnetaress
02-21-2024, 11:45 AM

Smoofers
02-21-2024, 12:10 PM
I was able to build a raid-level toon from a zero start in just a few weeks

They patiently put up with me re-learning everything about the high-end game with all the oopses and mistakes I made not remembering how to get through and around all the raid zones.

This reeks of shitter.

Sorry, I meant, thanks for coming, can I have your stuff?

Nostalgiabait
02-21-2024, 03:34 PM
This reeks of shitter.

Sorry, I meant, thanks for coming, can I have your stuff?

if you can't build a raid-level toon in 5-6 weeks with a server full of extremely helpful and kind players you are not very good at this game and/or have a terrible personality... from your comment the latter seems certain and the former very likely

all my stuff went to the people who helped me along the way, and you obviously were not one of them

Toxigen
02-21-2024, 03:50 PM
if you can't build a raid-level toon in 5-6 weeks with a server full of extremely helpful and kind players you are not very good at this game and/or have a terrible personality... from your comment the latter seems certain and the former very likely

all my stuff went to the people who helped me along the way, and you obviously were not one of them

i cant imagine leveling to 60 in 5 weeks lol

glad you can finally go outside by quitting eq

Smoofers
02-21-2024, 03:59 PM
raid-level toon in 5-6 weeks

Another worthless 56 druid

Castle2.0
02-21-2024, 04:35 PM
You're welcome.

cd288
02-21-2024, 04:44 PM
i cant imagine leveling to 60 in 5 weeks lol

glad you can finally go outside by quitting eq

Raid level could technically be mid 50s which is double in 5-6 weeks (still a lot of EQ but definitely doable).

Nostalgiabait
02-21-2024, 05:05 PM
Nov-Jan there's nothing happening in my industry so I had the entire time free - perfect time for a massive nostalgia binge

a cleric can productively raid at level 51 or even earlier, not exactly the backbone of the force but can hold a CH chain long enough and patch heal as well as anyone else

Ciderpress
02-21-2024, 06:53 PM
Congrats on taking a break from everquest for a while

Ciderpress
02-21-2024, 06:57 PM
This actually got me thinking- I bet I could easily endure long-distance space travel if I could still play this game somehow. If I'm going to mars or titan or wherever in the future, either freeze me or just let me roll up a fresh shaman or enchanter and I'll be fiiiiine.

Pulgasari
02-22-2024, 05:36 PM
This actually got me thinking- I bet I could easily endure long-distance space travel if I could still play this game somehow. If I'm going to mars or titan or wherever in the future, either freeze me or just let me roll up a fresh shaman or enchanter and I'll be fiiiiine.

Unfortunately you'd still be considered a person if they froze you. 😞

Swish
02-28-2024, 04:13 PM
Nobody leaves forever. See you when you get back :)

magnetaress
02-29-2024, 10:50 AM
Tunafish best.

ScottBerta
02-29-2024, 11:12 PM
Hotel California… you can check out any time you like but you can never leave.

Elijah850
03-08-2024, 07:32 PM

I know this is weeks late but damn what a sick BURN! 🔥

Toxigen
03-11-2024, 08:45 AM
so did op actually quit or what

Bboboo
03-11-2024, 09:29 AM
came back the next day

Toxigen
03-11-2024, 09:31 AM
sounds about right

Nostalgiabait
03-24-2024, 06:27 AM
nope sorry, still quit, not coming back to play again ever

I don't have the time I had as a kid where I could waste hours in a game just waiting for an opportunity to do something productive

part of me is jealous that some of you still do... the rest of me finds it sad and pathetic

magnetaress
03-24-2024, 10:07 AM
part of me is jealous that some of you still do... the rest of me finds it sad and pathetic

Eq is like a second life for most ppl. It's better than drugs. And the other alternatives. Sadly we live in an oppressive state where we cannot camp the bad guys. So we go camp the ghoul lord instead.

Nostalgiabait
03-24-2024, 06:20 PM
Eq is like a second life for most ppl. It's better than drugs. And the other alternatives.

IMO it's dangerous to play online games if you don't know what a Skinner Box is and how to recognize when you've been trapped in one. If you know the warning signs you can stop yourself at the appropriate time. If not, it does a horrible number on your psyche and destroys your ability to shape your own fate.

Sadly we live in an oppressive state where we cannot camp the bad guys. So we go camp the ghoul lord instead.

You can "camp the bad guys" in various ways in RL. I do a form of this in my work, and I actually use raid/guild organization skills that I learned decades ago from binging EQ when bringing together coalitions against bad actors. It is way more risky and dangerous than playing a game, but the satisfaction level of making a real difference in the real world can't be reproduced by any Skinner Box.

Use the same iron determination that you use to overcome game challenges in the real world, and you can make a positive difference in all sorts of ways - things that will still be, long after the game servers have been turned off.

No matter how much time you've wasted in a digital fantasy, you can still turn it around and do the equivalent of dragon slaying in the real world, which is waiting for heroes just like yourself to step up.

I believe in you... you can do it. There's something much bigger than a game that is calling you, and you need but answer.

magnetaress
03-24-2024, 08:09 PM
IMO it's dangerous to play online games if you don't know what a Skinner Box is and how to recognize when you've been trapped in one. If you know the warning signs you can stop yourself at the appropriate time. If not, it does a horrible number on your psyche and destroys your ability to shape your own fate.

You can "camp the bad guys" in various ways in RL. I do a form of this in my work, and I actually use raid/guild organization skills that I learned decades ago from binging EQ when bringing together coalitions against bad actors. It is way more risky and dangerous than playing a game, but the satisfaction level of making a real difference in the real world can't be reproduced by any Skinner Box.

Use the same iron determination that you use to overcome game challenges in the real world, and you can make a positive difference in all sorts of ways - things that will still be, long after the game servers have been turned off.

No matter how much time you've wasted in a digital fantasy, you can still turn it around and do the equivalent of dragon slaying in the real world, which is waiting for heroes just like yourself to step up.

I believe in you... you can do it. There's something much bigger than a game that is calling you, and you need but answer.

Sage advice for the youngins. Now if we could only get them away from tiktok. And Facebook. And show them how to do just that in the real world. We need more police. Medics. And soldiers big time.

Rygar
03-26-2024, 08:26 AM
the rest of me finds it sad and pathetic

You actually had a nice thread before this. Don't sink to this level of shaming people for playing. For once was nice to see a simple goodbye without any judgement. To each their own

arvidez
03-26-2024, 08:51 AM
solo grind + audiobook...
currently nejena + notes from underground.

ps. dont talk to me.

cd288
03-26-2024, 10:54 AM
solo grind + audiobook...
currently nejena + notes from underground.

ps. dont talk to me.

Used to do that back in the day in WoW. It was pretty relaxing