PDA

View Full Version : Please stop the quakes

Valakut
01-21-2024, 11:01 AM
Let these guys/gals/they-them destroy their friendships, marriages, and careers like real classic everquest raiders. There's nothing classic about quaking every weekend so everybody can gear up 19 different raid alts with tov gear.

It's completely disrupting the cycle of guilds on the server. Every respectable guild on the server has died or left permanently. If you're not in the one mega quake guild then you're in some roleplaying guild or reformed toxic guild that get's perpetually banned or it's a strawman guild stuffed with alts bypassing bag limits from their other main guild.

Make elitism elite again. As soon as it stops being easy. People will resort to strategy and team work again.

magnetaress
01-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Let em pump the pop. Servers are old and in retirement/ maintenance mode. Ppl want dragons.

7thGate
01-22-2024, 10:07 AM
Quakes are a significantly better form of competition because the rewards each team gains scales with how efficient they are in a close to linear manner, rather than being a repeated series of head to head checks that gives almost all the kills to the better team.

If your group is half as efficient as another group, you get about half the kills on a quake. If you're doing repops, you get nothing as you just lose the vast majority of things you contest, which then creates a negative feedback loop where people don't want to contest stuff since they're almost guaranteed not to get it.

There's a reason why there are like 5 entities active on quakes and 1 or 2 contesting most natural spawns. Quakes give an opportunity to try and incrementally improve by using teamwork and strategy, while natural spawns essentially require you to field experienced racers or there's no point in showing up 99% of the time.

Toxigen
01-22-2024, 10:09 AM
keep quaking and push the pixel sickness further

magnetaress
01-22-2024, 10:11 AM
Quakes are a significantly better form of competition because the rewards each team gains scales with how efficient they are in a close to linear manner, rather than being a repeated series of head to head checks that gives almost all the kills to the better team.

If your group is half as efficient as another group, you get about half the kills on a quake. If you're doing repops, you get nothing as you just lose the vast majority of things you contest, which then creates a negative feedback loop where people don't want to contest stuff since they're almost guaranteed not to get it.

There's a reason why there are like 5 entities active on quakes and 1 or 2 contesting most natural spawns. Quakes give an opportunity to try and incrementally improve by using teamwork and strategy, while natural spawns essentially require you to field experienced racers or there's no point in showing up 99% of the time.

Said the CFO

mycoolrausch
01-22-2024, 04:05 PM
The hyper competitive mode only worked when the bulk of the playerbase was leveling their 1st, 2nd, maybe even 3rd toon, and located in places like mistmoore, city of mist, sebilis, or plane of sky/HoT - and so didn't care that all the raid content was scooped up in 300ms by sweaty guild 1 or 2.

But by 2019 or so everyone that plays p99 had 2-3+ 60s, all their sky gear, and all their HoT gear, and nothing to do but stand around and watch those sick FTEs. So the server staff had a decision to keep catering to the 50 people that like esport everquest or to find a way to give everyone something to do again. Shockingly, they chose the latter.

Tann
01-22-2024, 04:18 PM
I gotta say, as someone dipping my toes for the first time in the raid scene here, the feeling in my giblets when I lose a bid or /random on an upgrade or epic quest item to someone's 6th raid alt is quite a dopamine kick.

Toxigen
01-22-2024, 04:20 PM
I gotta say, as someone dipping my toes for the first time in the raid scene here, the feeling in my giblets when I lose a bid or /random on an upgrade or epic quest item to someone's 6th raid alt is quite a dopamine kick.

yessss, harness the hatred

Tann
01-22-2024, 04:28 PM
yessss, harness the hatred

Me, a youngling, about to get rekt by someone with over 9000 dkp

https://i.giphy.com/12qFOaBbu9TZny.gif

cd288
01-22-2024, 05:50 PM
Me, a youngling, about to get rekt by someone with over 9000 dkp

https://i.giphy.com/12qFOaBbu9TZny.gif

Check a guild's policies on DKP bids with respect to certain items before you join. Sometimes they will require a mandatory full DKP bid on certain in demand epic drops etc.

DeathsSilkyMist
01-22-2024, 06:47 PM
You're often not competing with a person who has 9000DKP. They have that much DKP because they are saving for a few very rare items that are going to be extremely expensive anyway. Something like Abashi's. From my experience those high DKP individuals are not going to roll on a large chunk of items, especially non-BiS items.

aussenseiter
01-22-2024, 07:07 PM
You're often not competing with a person who has 9000DKP. They have that much DKP because they are saving for a few very rare items that are going to be extremely expensive anyway. Something like Abashi's. From my experience those high DKP individuals are not going to roll on a large chunk of items, especially non-BiS items.

Why don't I just eat out of the trash like a raccoon, then?

Troxx
01-22-2024, 09:35 PM
Why don't I just eat out of the trash like a raccoon, then?

Depending on the trash can, there could be some tasty morsels on the dinner table.

Videri
01-22-2024, 09:38 PM
Right, the people with a ton of DKP already have most of the items their guild can provide them. They’re either saving for a future big get, or they just like raiding with their guild.

aussenseiter
01-22-2024, 11:38 PM
Right, the people with a ton of DKP already have most of the items their guild can provide them. They’re either saving for a future big get, or they just like raiding with their guild.

Vindi DKP shouldn't be eligible to purchase BiS items with.

You shall not press down this crown of thorns on raiders heads!

You shall not crucify elfkind upon this cross of gold.

Ciderpress
01-23-2024, 12:06 AM
DKP is the best system in this game. Probably why like everybody uses it, I'm not sure what a better system would entail? Tie breaks or something? Cause otherwise, showing up to raids is not getting you what you think it is.

Ciderpress
01-23-2024, 12:08 AM
People with lots of dkp in established guilds did a lot more shit than you did. I seriously don't understand the problem with this system.

aussenseiter
01-23-2024, 12:11 AM
DKP is the best system in this game. Probably why like everybody uses it, I'm not sure what a better system would entail? Tie breaks or something? Cause otherwise, showing up to raids is not getting you what you think it is.

People with lots of dkp in established guilds did a lot more shit than you did. I seriously don't understand the problem with this system.

I'm not criticizing DKP directly, I'm saying we should all become bi (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bimetallism).

wuanahto
01-23-2024, 07:11 AM
dont most guilds have fake internal fighting so they can break off and make a new guild JUST to reset DKP?
just wait for the split

Toxigen
01-23-2024, 07:16 AM
dont most guilds have fake internal fighting so they can break off and make a new guild JUST to reset DKP?
just wait for the split

this is the way

best time for items is new guild before the dkp bloat

NPC
01-23-2024, 12:39 PM
Perhaps they could keep the quakes to raid only zones? Why all zones? That's the question. The other 500-700 people on the server not raiding don't appreciate it.

boromn
01-23-2024, 01:09 PM
Well, most guilds back during live put restrictions on buying for alts. It always was main priority (or in the case of FoH, Furor gets first dibs lol) and then if no mains needed the item, then bids opened to alts. Why they wouldn't do that here kind of baffles me (if that's not the case. I don't know. I don't raid.)

Toxigen
01-23-2024, 01:33 PM
Perhaps they could keep the quakes to raid only zones? Why all zones? That's the question. The other 500-700 people on the server not raiding don't appreciate it.

epic mobs

Naethyn
01-23-2024, 04:27 PM
Well, most guilds back during live put restrictions on buying for alts. It always was main priority (or in the case of FoH, Furor gets first dibs lol) and then if no mains needed the item, then bids opened to alts. Why they wouldn't do that here kind of baffles me (if that's not the case. I don't know. I don't raid.)

NBG loot systems are just nerds trying to decide how other people should play and in practice they never do what they say on paper.

Sadre Spinegnawer
01-23-2024, 04:47 PM
Check a guild's policies on DKP bids with respect to certain items before you join. Sometimes they will require a mandatory full DKP bid on certain in demand epic drops etc.

Aren't DKP guilds doing quarterly point adjustments?

It's a math thing but it's ez. You keep things feasible. You remove or add points in a ratio to how high or low you are. Do that every 3 months, recruits won't look at the DKP and say, "It will take forever." You never lose your "ranking" but the spread is compressed every 3 months.

Every respectable DKP guild I was in did quarterly point adjustments. Also raid % attendance. This creates more attendance predictability, more dynamic open bidding in /gu on drunk raiding nights, and significantly more attracting recruiting.

Naethyn
01-23-2024, 05:02 PM
Most modern DKP systems have a falloff point where DKP from 6+ months ago is worth 0. I wish we had that here.

cd288
01-23-2024, 07:18 PM

Why would you care about a quake in a non raid zone? Unless you're in a difficult to break camp or something why does it matter?

Endorra
01-23-2024, 09:52 PM
Most modern DKP systems have a falloff point where DKP from 6+ months ago is worth 0. I wish we had that here.

Hush, you. Showing up to 1 raid per month for 16 years is vital to my strategy for Vulak loot.

GinnasP99
01-23-2024, 11:37 PM
MGmDfBIMdHo

Menden
01-24-2024, 01:34 AM

Would if I could.

eddrick
01-24-2024, 01:45 AM
Would if I could.

The quake system seems to cater to old players / seasoned raiders at a time when the server seems instead to be in need of new players.

Does the p99 team plan to address the slow down of new player logging in at present time and in the near future?

mycoolrausch
01-24-2024, 10:03 AM
The only thing that would bring in a noticeable batch of new players to p99 blue, aside from a green merger with no new green to follow it up, is custom content.

Nobody wants to start on a server with 15 years of alts and mudflation when they have places like Green and Quarm.

Also the core of P99s demographic is people that played classic live, or played live and heard stories about classic. That's a finite and exhaustible population, again, without custom content.

I don't think CoM Moat camp respawning prematurely once every 2 weeks is keeping people away.

WarpathEQ
01-24-2024, 10:57 AM
The only thing that would bring in a noticeable batch of new players to p99 blue, aside from a green merger with no new green to follow it up, is custom content.

Nobody wants to start on a server with 15 years of alts and mudflation when they have places like Green and Quarm.

Also the core of P99s demographic is people that played classic live, or played live and heard stories about classic. That's a finite and exhaustible population, again, without custom content.

I don't think CoM Moat camp respawning prematurely once every 2 weeks is keeping people away.

I think this is the appeal, for those of you that would call it that, of Quarm. Its basically a completely custom content shell using P99 graphics and zone maps.

For me its a no go. I came to P99 to play the game as it was played when I left it and P99 delivers on that perfectly. For players in their first few months it can be frustrating that the servers don't really care about or cater to you but really the "new player" experience only lasts a few months max. From that point on for a server to exist for years the only core player base are those in raiding entities that are trying to advance their equipment/capabilities.

Big fans of the GMs putting new twists out there with things like double loot and kill one pick one quakes. Would love to see some twists that create more anarchy like:

Unrooting all the dragons (not classic)
Removing the litany of rules for each encounter - stall/kite mobs as long as you want, kill mobs wherever you want, train other guilds that move up on your spot, ect.
Open server raid an entire round of spawns (quake or natural)
Add caps to max number of people on an encounter log
Create a proximity ring requiring everyone on the engage to be in melee distance (especially entertaining on heavy AOE mobs)

cd288
01-24-2024, 11:16 AM
I think this is the appeal, for those of you that would call it that, of Quarm. Its basically a completely custom content shell using P99 graphics and zone maps.

For me its a no go. I came to P99 to play the game as it was played when I left it and P99 delivers on that perfectly. For players in their first few months it can be frustrating that the servers don't really care about or cater to you but really the "new player" experience only lasts a few months max. From that point on for a server to exist for years the only core player base are those in raiding entities that are trying to advance their equipment/capabilities.

Big fans of the GMs putting new twists out there with things like double loot and kill one pick one quakes. Would love to see some twists that create more anarchy like:

Unrooting all the dragons (not classic)
Removing the litany of rules for each encounter - stall/kite mobs as long as you want, kill mobs wherever you want, train other guilds that move up on your spot, ect.
Open server raid an entire round of spawns (quake or natural)
Add caps to max number of people on an encounter log
Create a proximity ring requiring everyone on the engage to be in melee distance (especially entertaining on heavy AOE mobs)

Removing the first two bullets would be dumb. Unrooting the dragons makes everything super easy. Kiting mobs for however long you want is also dumb...just means one guild could monopolize like every spawn by getting FTE and just kiting it forever.

cd288
01-24-2024, 11:18 AM
The quake system seems to cater to old players / seasoned raiders at a time when the server seems instead to be in need of new players.

Does the p99 team plan to address the slow down of new player logging in at present time and in the near future?

I am curious how this is keeping new players away. And I don't say that with snark, I'm actually curious why quakes would be keeping new players away. To me, I would think that a new player would much rather see a system that allows other guilds to potentially snag targets rather than a full natural respawn system where one guild gets every spawn.

WarpathEQ
01-24-2024, 11:55 AM
Removing the first two bullets would be dumb. Unrooting the dragons makes everything super easy. Kiting mobs for however long you want is also dumb...just means one guild could monopolize like every spawn by getting FTE and just kiting it forever.

Single FTE rules would still apply. While these things could make killing a single mob easier they would also add time to the equation in a different way. As someone pointed out the current quake meta is about efficiency of how quickly you can kill mobs.

It will require more choices to be made about the value of a long pull or kite for a previously unpullable/kitable mob over killing multiple mobs more quickly. The sweat beards will love how sweaty they get (despite complaining the entire time) and the guilds that don't monopolize these targets will be on a more equal playing field of figuring out a new variant of an encounter for the first time.

It will be more of a test of who has the most skill instead of who is the most rehearsed on the engage. The only real defense against it is (insert X guild) already monopolizes the spawn and we don't want to risk losing out on loot by having to compete against others.

Bardp1999
01-24-2024, 11:59 AM
There I was, 2 days deep into a Ragefire track

*The ground shakes beneath your feet*

I casually stand up and start slamming my keyboard against the computer moniter. My wife comes in, I slap her to the ground.

"This is your fault bitch" I say to her

she crawls to her knees
"but what have I ever done to you to deserve to be treated like this"

I slap her back to the ground

"Quiet, I need to think"

Fucked over again by the P99 staff

As I am standing over my crying wife I notice that I dont have any pants on, and that I have a massive erection.

light headed from the blood leaving my body and entering the boner, I find myself in a state of euphoria, momentarily forgetting that my Ragefire track was interupted.

the boner fades, the rage returns

'CUCKED AGAIN' I scream

sobbing my wife says "but honey, I dont understand"

I raise my hand back to slap her down a second time, but as I am about to strike I notice my son standing in the doorway. I pick him up and, still pantless, and I throw him through the sliding glass door.

The police come

I am fully naked now, on my knees screaming. My unkempt toenails several inches long.

They taze me until I lose consciousness, but as the light begins to face I whisper "Mace quest" as all turns to black.

FIN

Toxigen
01-24-2024, 12:02 PM
There I was, 2 days deep into a Ragefire track

*The ground shakes beneath your feet*

I casually stand up and start slamming my keyboard against the computer moniter. My wife comes in, I slap her to the ground.

"This is your fault bitch" I say to her

she crawls to her knees
"but what have I ever done to you to deserve to be treated like this"

I slap her back to the ground

"Quiet, I need to think"

Fucked over again by the P99 staff

As I am standing over my crying wife I notice that I dont have any pants on, and that I have a massive erection.

light headed from the blood leaving my body and entering the boner, I find myself in a state of euphoria, momentarily forgetting that my Ragefire track was interupted.

the boner fades, the rage returns

'CUCKED AGAIN' I scream

sobbing my wife says "but honey, I dont understand"

I raise my hand back to slap her down a second time, but as I am about to strike I notice my son standing in the doorway. I pick him up and, still pantless, and I throw him through the sliding glass door.

The police come

I am fully naked now, on my knees screaming. My unkempt toenails several inches long.

They taze me until I lose consciousness, but as the light begins to face I whisper "Mace quest" as all turns to black.

FIN

lmao

eddrick
01-24-2024, 12:41 PM
I am curious how this is keeping new players away. And I don't say that with snark, I'm actually curious why quakes would be keeping new players away. To me, I would think that a new player would much rather see a system that allows other guilds to potentially snag targets rather than a full natural respawn system where one guild gets every spawn.

Fairly certain I claimed the quakes are catering to raiders for the most part. Newer players aren't raiding yet. They don't get much in game attention/support from the CSR team here, which focuses mostly on the top end. On Blue there aren't many low levels and on Green a new player can find groups only sporadically. Quakes don't help this.

The quake mechanic doesn't appear to be a huge magnet for new players. Many newer players are finding servers with dev/csr teams that cater to new players as well as top players. Things like special event zones, special rewards, and time limited dungeons. Essentially p99 has competition that has made itself more appealing to the new player base by looking at mechanics for new players beyond quakes.

Troxx
01-24-2024, 12:44 PM
I was in Dreadlands on my ranger running through the mountains to the druid rings when the last quake hit. Nearly shit my pants thinking I was gonna have to do a CR with Gorenaire spawning nearly within aggro range.

Fun times.

Ultimately it worked out cause I managed to get to Kael in time for statue/aoe faction tags. Saved a few hours of faction farming

cd288
01-24-2024, 02:36 PM
Fairly certain I claimed the quakes are catering to raiders for the most part. Newer players aren't raiding yet. They don't get much in game attention/support from the CSR team here, which focuses mostly on the top end. On Blue there aren't many low levels and on Green a new player can find groups only sporadically. Quakes don't help this.

The quake mechanic doesn't appear to be a huge magnet for new players. Many newer players are finding servers with dev/csr teams that cater to new players as well as top players. Things like special event zones, special rewards, and time limited dungeons. Essentially p99 has competition that has made itself more appealing to the new player base by looking at mechanics for new players beyond quakes.

It's somewhat ridiculous to claim that quakes are monopolizing too much CSR time meaning that new players never get petitions answered. CSR are unpaid volunteers, they get to things when they can. I've had CSR answer me on issues on lower level characters. They do what they can.

Also curious where there is data on newer players choosing servers based on CSR. The only new server we have is Quarm and a ton of those people are people who have played on P99...it's not like there's this massive untapped player base just waiting for the right mix in order to try out EQ. Quarm is also large because it's new...not because of any CSR assignments or anything (in fact, the Quarm CSR policy is even worse because they're all allowed to play on the server, which will inevitably lead to corruption and favoritism).

Saying that new players don't play P99 because of the CSR is pretty ridiculous. New players don't come here because 1. Lots of people just don't know about classic EQ emulators, 2. People are old with responsibilities and simply don't have the time for classic EQ, and 3. The servers are really old and mudflated at this point, lower level zones are hit or miss on whether you'll find groups, and there's lack of clarity on the future of Green/a new server so why join and sink a ton of time in right now.

Naethyn
01-24-2024, 02:39 PM
The number of petitions in 2023 is so low as a result of quake meta. When there will be another competition next week instead of next month it turns down the srsbsns level.

Menden
01-24-2024, 02:54 PM

Got some ideas what we could do for the non-raiders? We do perform a lot of corpse recoveries and reimbursements. But that goes for all players.

It's hard to create events for just non-raiders, we don't want to tell raiders they can't join these events. With their level 60s or even their twinks.

boromn
01-24-2024, 03:14 PM
As a newish player, I can safely say that the things people are bitching about here are not what keep "new" players away. The real answer is that they either don't know about it, or there are simply better games out there. I don't know why anyone would really have much desire to play this game unless they did on Live or have a friend that did on live and convinced them to join up.

That covers the "new" part. What you are really talking about is what drives away "returning" players. The nostalgia wears off pretty quick and you are left remembering what a time sink this game is. That's pretty much it. Couple that with mostly empty zones for leveling and you are left with a game that just doesn't measure up to all of the other options out there.

I really enjoy P99 for what it is. A trip down nostalgia lane for those of us who lived and breathed this game for years of our lives. Outside of that, quit trying to make it into something it isn't. I think they have done a great job capturing their niche. Know your market, and they do.

eddrick
01-24-2024, 03:18 PM
Got some ideas what we could do for the non-raiders? We do perform a lot of corpse recoveries and reimbursements. But that goes for all players.

It's hard to create events for just non-raiders, we don't want to tell raiders they can't join these events. With their level 60s or even their twinks.

In a competetive gaming space like p99 is in with other new emu that were deployed less than 4 months ago innovation occurs. One place to look for new ideas is what is working for the competition. The competition appears to have created these events for new players in the last month. These are examples of what is appealing to new players. Dev/staff involvement special events with rewards for lower level players. Similar to events like in classic on live.

Blue had these kinds of events. Green to a lesser degree. My guess as to why we don't see them more often here has to do with programming/staff availability of resources. Could be wrong.

Holiday Event: Domain of Frost
https://old.reddit.com/r/ProjectQuarm/comments/18mmfoe/holiday_event_domain_of_frost/
>>
Enter the Domain of Frost, and reap the rewards within.

The Domain of Frost is a level 30 to 45 zone, being split right down the middle in terms of difficulty - the far side being much more difficult than the near side.
The Domain of Frost has a passive +0.05 experience boost within its walls.
Trivial Loot Code is enabled in the Domain of Frost.
There are rumors of a container of considerable storage within - if you manage to find one, it will require you to be of the 30th season to loot.
Bards who have lived to tell the tale also share stories of a hidden compartment in the well - guilds may be interested in completing the trials within to get a time-limited reward. There are multiple ways to get this reward. Know that this encounter is the most difficult of the raid encounters adventurers have faced thus far.
>>

https://old.reddit.com/r/ProjectQuarm/comments/18rphxl/holiday_event_pt_2_tower_of_frost/

Holiday Event, Pt. 2: Tower of Frost
>
The Tower of Frost (AKA Oops, All Icebones) is now available as a Level 8 to 25 undead zone featuring everyone's favorite friends: icebone skeletons.
>>

eddrick
01-24-2024, 03:22 PM
*competitive

eddrick
01-24-2024, 03:28 PM
It's somewhat ridiculous to claim that quakes are monopolizing too much CSR time meaning that new players never get petitions answered. CSR are unpaid volunteers, they get to things when they can. I've had CSR answer me on issues on lower level characters. They do what they can.

Also curious where there is data on newer players choosing servers based on CSR. The only new server we have is Quarm and a ton of those people are people who have played on P99...it's not like there's this massive untapped player base just waiting for the right mix in order to try out EQ. Quarm is also large because it's new...not because of any CSR assignments or anything (in fact, the Quarm CSR policy is even worse because they're all allowed to play on the server, which will inevitably lead to corruption and favoritism).

Saying that new players don't play P99 because of the CSR is pretty ridiculous. New players don't come here because 1. Lots of people just don't know about classic EQ emulators, 2. People are old with responsibilities and simply don't have the time for classic EQ, and 3. The servers are really old and mudflated at this point, lower level zones are hit or miss on whether you'll find groups, and there's lack of clarity on the future of Green/a new server so why join and sink a ton of time in right now.

You are putting words in my mouth so this is my last response to you.

If there are events for lower level players and if devs/csr team cater to new players then that's where new players go vs servers that don't have those benefits. People respond to incentives.

Menden
01-24-2024, 03:50 PM
CSR team would love to have more scripted events, but we just don't have the dev time. Ideas float internally, but that's about the extent of it. We try to throw events that are within our abilities. Mostly in the form of raid challenges, pretty easy to orchestrate with the UN channels.

It's fun seeing all the cool stuff PQ is doing, but they have that dev time.

eddrick
01-24-2024, 04:09 PM
CSR team would love to have more scripted events, but we just don't have the dev time. Ideas float internally, but that's about the extent of it. We try to throw events that are within our abilities. Mostly in the form of raid challenges, pretty easy to orchestrate with the UN channels.

I think you might be inadvertently proving my point. Raid challenges aren't something new players can participate in. I understand the CSR team here might not have dev time compared to newer emu.

Much of the work on that other emu is open source including the new zones / special event zones. While the TAKP code and the p99 code have differences like lua/pearl and client level differences, it might be possible to import some of Quarm's ideas and adjust them to work here. This would require Nilbog or Haynar level dev expertise more than likely whose time is likely valuable but is feasible.

As for what kind of events/temporary zones/other ideas are appealing to new players, the other emu appeared to solve this by adding trivial loot code to the events.

WarpathEQ
01-24-2024, 04:18 PM

-Insert any event that involves a newly created character for the event - We're planning a lvl 1 undies run accross norath for our guild as a fun guild event.

-Level bracketed PVP tournament (1-10, 11-20, 21-30, ect). Would have to be dropped on short notice to prevent end gamers from endlessly twinking every bracket.

-Randomized loot shake up (unfortunately this one prolly requires devs and immediately gets shot down) but mix up the loot tables of all mobs in the game randomly and sit back and enjoy the entire server trying to figure out which of the thousands of mobs and in what obscure zone the Vulak loot is going to drop from. There are probably mobs that haven't died in months or years in random corners of the world.

-Scavanger hunt. Randomly place some desirable things accross the world and have people search for them (could focus on placing them in low level zones for accessibility but not disclose that in the event so the lowbies have a better chance of finding the stuff)

-P99 olympics. Each race competes alongside their kin against the other races of the world in a variety of competitions (diving, sprinting, archery, tradeskills, ect.) Creates a different team dynamic that breaks apart guild alegences and requires no affiliation to others on the server to be part of a team.

Smoofers
01-24-2024, 04:20 PM

Can the project bring on more devs?

cd288
01-24-2024, 04:30 PM
I think you might be inadvertently proving my point. Raid challenges aren't something new players can participate in. I understand the CSR team here might not have dev time compared to newer emu.

Much of the work on that other emu is open source including the new zones / special event zones. While the TAKP code and the p99 code have differences like lua/pearl and client level differences, it might be possible to import some of Quarm's ideas and adjust them to work here. This would require Nilbog or Haynar level dev expertise more than likely whose time is likely valuable but is feasible.

As for what kind of events/temporary zones/other ideas are appealing to new players, the other emu appeared to solve this by adding trivial loot code to the events.

The other emu is brand new and, as a result, has an influx of people helping with CSR and coding. Many emus start out that way. Things fall off as the servers get older and the unpaid volunteers with real life responsibilities leave.

Everything you're saying is, in other words, essentially saying "P99 staff you need to spend tons of your real life time, for no money, doing a ton of work to code things, create new zones and events, etc. Look at what quarm does they're so much better, why don't you guys spend your unpaid free time creating this stuff for me???"

As an aside, your examples are arguably unclassic. GM events back in the day took place in the set zones and all players were allowed to participate. There weren't newly created zones (also would wonder if P99 is even allowed to do that under the licensing agreement they have with the EQ IP owners) for GM events and there wasn't trivial loot code. So in essence, you came to a classic EQ server and are complaining about classic EQ....

Menden
01-24-2024, 04:38 PM

Dev time is the issue. For now, we're stuck with the tools we got.

-Insert any event that involves a newly created character for the event - We're planning a lvl 1 undies run accross norath for our guild as a fun guild event.

-Level bracketed PVP tournament (1-10, 11-20, 21-30, ect). Would have to be dropped on short notice to prevent end gamers from endlessly twinking every bracket.

-Randomized loot shake up (unfortunately this one prolly requires devs and immediately gets shot down) but mix up the loot tables of all mobs in the game randomly and sit back and enjoy the entire server trying to figure out which of the thousands of mobs and in what obscure zone the Vulak loot is going to drop from. There are probably mobs that haven't died in months or years in random corners of the world.

-Scavanger hunt. Randomly place some desirable things accross the world and have people search for them (could focus on placing them in low level zones for accessibility but not disclose that in the event so the lowbies have a better chance of finding the stuff)

-P99 olympics. Each race competes alongside their kin against the other races of the world in a variety of competitions (diving, sprinting, archery, tradeskills, ect.) Creates a different team dynamic that breaks apart guild alegences and requires no affiliation to others on the server to be part of a team.

Some good suggestions, some may be feasible with our current tools. I'll add them to our list. Thank you

Menden
01-24-2024, 04:42 PM
Can the project bring on more devs?

Nilbog's department, if anyone is interested in Deving, contact him.

Naethyn
01-24-2024, 05:35 PM
Artifacts and ancient spells.

eddrick
01-24-2024, 05:41 PM
Dev time is the issue. For now, we're stuck with the tools we got.

Some good suggestions, some may be feasible with our current tools. I'll add them to our list. Thank you

Is dev time being a limiting factor something temporary in nature or an an on going situation for p99 indefinitely?

Ideas with current toolset that would be appealing to new players given limited dev support for in game events might look like:

1. Best of the Best Arena Event - for low levels
ex. Best of the Best - Level 20 only, Level 30 only, Level 40 only etc

2. Pre-Epic limited time low-level quest events (new quest out of old items)
a. During limited time event player must collect and turn in rare items from mobs that are lower level for a chance at an early item toward their Epic piece.
ex. A level 35 cleric collects lower level items that are not appealing to high level characters such as An Enameled BP from Guk, Rune Mithril Bracer from SolB, and a Ravenscale Armguards from CT and turns in for limited time reward. Reward is something like a low level item Lord Gimblox's Signet Ring as an alternative of camping Gimblox.

3. Once a week GM style Buffs out of EC that only are for characters level 45 and below.

Would require dev time

4. ZEM zone shuffling - Encourages players to try other zones

5. Increased spawn time in lower level dungeons only - temporary event

khysanth
01-24-2024, 05:48 PM
Sorry you didn't get to enjoy P99's best years (2009-2015).

eddrick
01-24-2024, 05:49 PM
The other emu is brand new and, as a result, has an influx of people helping with CSR and coding. Many emus start out that way. Things fall off as the servers get older and the unpaid volunteers with real life responsibilities leave.

Everything you're saying is, in other words, essentially saying "P99 staff you need to spend tons of your real life time, for no money, doing a ton of work to code things, create new zones and events, etc. Look at what quarm does they're so much better, why don't you guys spend your unpaid free time creating this stuff for me???"

As an aside, your examples are arguably unclassic. GM events back in the day took place in the set zones and all players were allowed to participate. There weren't newly created zones (also would wonder if P99 is even allowed to do that under the licensing agreement they have with the EQ IP owners) for GM events and there wasn't trivial loot code. So in essence, you came to a classic EQ server and are complaining about classic EQ....

Imagine wanting the game you play to be more innovative.

I had mentioned I wouldn't reply to you any longer. Re-read what you wrote if you wonder why. This is my last interaction with you cd.

eddrick
01-24-2024, 05:51 PM
Sorry you didn't get to enjoy P99's best years (2009-2015).

Early Blue was amazing. Those events yo. Early Green also a ton of fun.

I'm not the best days of EQ were in the past type.

The best days of EQ haven't happened yet.

cd288
01-24-2024, 06:07 PM
Imagine wanting the game you play to be more innovative.

I had mentioned I wouldn't reply to you any longer. Re-read what you wrote if you wonder why. This is my last interaction with you cd.

It's interesting that you are acting high minded and holier than thou when you are here essentially complaining that on a server you play on for free (due to the efforts of unpaid guys putting it together for you) the unpaid volunteers who sacrifice their limited free time to CSR the server (and are short staffed) aren't doing enough things that are appealing to you personally.

Go back to quarm if it's so great over there

eddrick
01-24-2024, 06:16 PM
Imagine having an opportunity to talk to the lead CSR and instead attacking the guy suggesting new ideas.

cd - don't talk to me any longer

Tann
01-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Nilbog's department, if anyone is interested in Deving, contact him.

Done

https://i.imgur.com/y3SK2Gy.gif

eddrick
01-24-2024, 10:53 PM

I appreciate the innovativeness and creativity that Warpath showed with this post.

booter
01-25-2024, 12:49 PM
Imagine having an opportunity to talk to the lead CSR and instead attacking the guy suggesting new ideas.

cd - don't talk to me any longer

he's evading a forum ban on his main account with this one. not exactly the type of person who is typically on the server staff's good side

eddrick
01-25-2024, 01:27 PM
My Dad told me that he asked booter not to talk to him or about him but booter continued to do so anyway. It appears booter likes to ignore people who ask him to not speak to them. My Dad also told my sisters they aren't allowed to play here any longer because of trolls who attack other people.

Booter - stop discussing a member of my family. You are violating his privacy.

eddrick
01-25-2024, 02:03 PM
I reviewed your interactions with my Dad, booter. You private messaged him that you were a troll. This would have triggered my Dad since he has had to deal with my sisters former bfs that were dumbasses that have stalked two of my sisters in RL.

Since you are self-described troll. There is a good chance that the person that caused all this in the first place was you. You told my Dad you were a troll. The way that he dealt with that in real life was to get a No Contact order from a court to put a restraining order on the guys that wouldn't stop talking to my sisters.

That happened twice in RL. Think on that.

cd288
01-25-2024, 02:21 PM
Lol wow Booter what did you do to this guy??

Also for the record I don't have another forum account. I appreciate the unpaid volunteer staff who give us their time even though they all have actual real life responsibilities and other things to do. As a result, people complaining about them seems pretty bad

eddrick
01-25-2024, 02:32 PM
Constructive criticism is how things get better. I have yet to meet anyone on Earth that can't improve. I spend time trying to improve everyday. Some families incorporate that mindset from the get go.

Individuals that can't tell the difference between constructive criticism and complaining appear to turn to trolling behavior for some unknown reason. This hurts everyone.

Becoming better people and improving at things is noticed by others. Attacking others is a mistake. The reason I asked cd to stop talking to me is because he doesn't realize he made a mistake.

cd288
01-25-2024, 04:00 PM
Constructive criticism is how things get better. I have yet to meet anyone on Earth that can't improve. I spend time trying to improve everyday. Some families incorporate that mindset from the get go.

Individuals that can't tell the difference between constructive criticism and complaining appear to turn to trolling behavior for some unknown reason. This hurts everyone.

Becoming better people and improving at things is noticed by others. Attacking others is a mistake. The reason I asked cd to stop talking to me is because he doesn't realize he made a mistake.

Just a little life pro tip: Calling someone a troll just because they point out something you are doing isn't going to get you very far :D

eddrick
01-25-2024, 04:10 PM
cd. Booter is a self described troll. I didn't label him that. He labeled himself a troll to my Dad in a private message. He actually told my Dad to treat him as a troll. My Dad spoke about this last month when we met up during Christmas.

It might benefit you cd to stop making wrong assumptions. If you don't like me that's fine. But you keep getting things wrong and I already asked you not to speak to me.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3667004#post3667004

no, i still firmly think you're on the wrong side of that issue, or at least are not as informed as you think you are, and im not going to discuss that particular topic on these forums anymore in public or private

i do a drive-by on these forums for a few mins at work a few days a week, try not to take it personally, treat me as another left wing troll[

eddrick
01-25-2024, 04:21 PM
protip in life:

If a person asks you to stop talking to them. It's a good idea to stop talking to them.

If you continue to talk to the person that asked you to stop, then the person that asked you to stop isn't the problem.

Infectious
01-25-2024, 08:20 PM
protip in life:

If a person asks you to stop talking to them. It's a good idea to stop talking to them.

If you continue to talk to the person that asked you to stop, then the person that asked you to stop isn't the problem.

Great pro tip.

arnoldnashwel
01-25-2024, 08:26 PM
Isn't this quake system kinda like your weird uncle at family gatherings? You know, the one who's a bit out there but adds a unique flavor to the mix? Sure, it shakes things up (pun intended) and disrupts the 'natural order', but it also throws in a twist that keeps everyone on their toes.

Infectious
01-25-2024, 09:15 PM
Isn't this quake system kinda like your weird uncle at family gatherings? You know, the one who's a bit out there but adds a unique flavor to the mix? Sure, it shakes things up (pun intended) and disrupts the 'natural order', but it also throws in a twist that keeps everyone on their toes.

My father was a poet, do I know any of your work?

eddrick
01-26-2024, 03:24 AM
Great pro tip.

Appreciate it. I hear you are quite skilled in the art of Enchantering.

Infectious
01-26-2024, 09:03 AM
Appreciate it. I hear you are quite skilled in the art of Enchantering.

I am!

Smoofers
01-26-2024, 08:40 PM

Sure, if your uncle brings along 150 of his like-minded friends.

cd288
02-05-2024, 03:37 PM
protip in life:

Imagine posting in RnF on this forum and then getting offended and telling people to stop talking to you...

eddrick
02-08-2024, 01:56 PM
cd. jesus man I look away a couple weeks and you're still talking trying to talk to me. This thread died two weeks ago. Here is my very last comment on this dead thread.

I'm not offended by you. It is clear in this thread you simply didn't know how to disengage when someone else said they didn't want to talk with you. Happened a few times.

That's a red flag. If you are asked to chill, but can't. Who is that on?

I'm sure this thread is the least of your concerns. Move on and worry about other stuff that actually matters to you.

Trexller
02-08-2024, 02:38 PM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/505/806/6c0.jpg

eddrick
02-08-2024, 02:46 PM
Larry David resembles that remark.

Gotta say though. Trexller you seem to understand boundaries well and in other lifetimes on these forums when you were asked to stop talking to someone you did. That separates you from many here in that you actually are a good listener even if we most likely disagree on a bunch of things.

Duik
02-08-2024, 06:18 PM
So we are at
Person1: stop talking to me Person2.
Person2: nope and nope.
Person1: i told my dad on you and he said he is just a troll. Stop feeding it.

The end.

Ciderpress
02-17-2024, 06:44 PM
It would be great if there would be some kind of announcement about wtf is going on, today for example. We all get what a quake is, but not necessarily "the ground shakes somewhat" a million times and there are just randomly multiple nameds up and "this area will be dangerous soon" or whatever. We don't all use discord, and we are not all privy to what goes on in the "UN" which I still don't even know what that is.

What is going on? I'm just trying to level my enchanter and every time I get a good pet going it quakes and he poofs I lose the shit I had on him. Just let us know this is gonna happen and I won't play my chanter that day.

Nostalgiabait
02-17-2024, 07:37 PM
I just started playing again a few months ago after 20 years, and had the same "wth another quake" feeling, but I think I understand it better now.

Logging onto a server where people have been playing Velious content for many years has been really disorienting; all this content was new last I played it, not more than 2 years old when I quit the original.

Even though it's for all intents and purposes the exact same game, a server that people have been playing on for a decade or more is decidedly different from the new-and-fresh experience. For example, plat inflation vs. what I was used to is extreme, so much so that new players are priced right out of the market even for mid-level gear, and I still don't have a good handle on how things are valued on P99, whereas back in the day I could spit out an approximate market price for any item you could name.

Which brings us back to the quakes.

At first I hated them, but coming to an understanding of just how mature the server is and all that it implies, I get it now and support the frequent quakes. There's just nothing left other than raid mobs for players who have been playing for years - it was already that way for me when I quit EQ back in 2022. And who is going to be playing EQ still in 2024? Not the casuals, pretty much only raiders are going to be logging on.

The numbers show it. First quake raid I participated in, a /who of NToV showed over 220 players in the zone - somewhere between a third and a quarter of all logged-on players were raiding mobs in the one zone, under an hour after the quake. Probably just as many if not more were raiding in other zones. Back in the day you'd never see 100 players in NToV at once with three times the server population, to give some perspective.

The downside to the quakes is item rarity - it's not special to get that uber drop when the most difficult part of getting them - being first in force with a competent raid - is gone. But with the server as mature as it is, you don't get the glow of seeing others admire your shiny pixels when those others already have the same stuff on their 3rd and 4th alts anyway - the ship has sailed.

Thanks for putting up with a bit of a rambling message; I hope this perspective helps inform others reading this thread.

maxtorps
02-17-2024, 08:00 PM
I'm liking them. It energises people and they have fun.
I've not took part in one... but don't you oldies take them away before the noobs can have some fun! ��

magnetaress
02-18-2024, 02:52 AM
Gib moar plxz.

Videri
02-18-2024, 07:25 PM
At first I hated them, but coming to an understanding of just how mature the server is and all that it implies, I get it now and support the frequent quakes. There's just nothing left other than raid mobs for players who have been playing for years

Ah ah ah, you have imagined that the purpose of the Earthquake mechanic is to appease the raiding population. This is not the case. Quakes are actually called "sim repops," or "simulated repops," and are meant to replicate the weekly server resets which occurred on live EQ back in the day for patches. These resets respawned everything and resulted in raid mobs spawning more often (7-day mobs would be seen more often than every 7 days, for instance). This is replicated here for a more classic environment.

But seeing as each sim repop does respawn all the raid mobs, of course all the raid guilds mobilize and snap up what they can.

Furthermore, last Wednesday's quake was an accident. The GM literally pushed the button by mistake.

Videri
02-18-2024, 07:30 PM
It would be great if there would be some kind of announcement about wtf is going on, today for example. We all get what a quake is, but not necessarily "the ground shakes somewhat" a million times and there are just randomly multiple nameds up and "this area will be dangerous soon" or whatever. We don't all use discord, and we are not all privy to what goes on in the "UN" which I still don't even know what that is.

What is going on? I'm just trying to level my enchanter and every time I get a good pet going it quakes and he poofs I lose the shit I had on him. Just let us know this is gonna happen and I won't play my chanter that day.

It is unusual - and unfortunate - that the GMs did not make a forum announcement about the event. I think that was a mistake and they should announce such things in the future for the sake of those who aren't clued into the raid scene.

Server staff painstakingly planned and ran a GM event, which is very classic, and it shook up the grindy raid meta and brought joy to literally hundreds of people. These events are a wonderful gift from our volunteer server staff.

Regarding the UN, it is a Discord server in which the raiding guilds make agreements, hash out disagreements, make amends after committing faults, and shoot the breeze. After the GMs told us about the coming event in the UN, the leadership of each guild informed their guild.

I highly recommend joining a guild - even if you don't intend to raid. It's a great source of friends, entertainment, and info. I hope this helps.

magnetaress
02-18-2024, 08:10 PM
Pvp quakes plz

Menden
02-18-2024, 08:31 PM
It is unusual - and unfortunate - that the GMs did not make a forum announcement about the event. I think that was a mistake and they should announce such things in the future for the sake of those who aren't clued into the raid scene.

Yeah we goofed. Sorry

Nostalgiabait
02-19-2024, 08:54 PM
Yeah we goofed. Sorry

I don't think I ever saw Verant display such humility no matter how much they screwed the pooch. Hats off to you.

Tenderizer
02-19-2024, 10:38 PM
Let em pump the pop. Servers are old and in retirement/ maintenance mode. Ppl want dragons.

quakes and dragons falling from the sky? sounds like a good time to come back and enjoy some pixels..... or just wait for the next green cycle if thats even a thing anymore.

Duik
02-20-2024, 07:58 AM
I don't think I ever saw Verant display such humility no matter how much they screwed the pooch. Hats off to you.

Surname Fences?

cd288
02-20-2024, 11:25 AM

Server staff painstakingly planned and ran a GM event, which is very classic, and it shook up the grindy raid meta and brought joy to literally hundreds of people. These events are a wonderful gift from our volunteer server staff.

Regarding the UN, it is a Discord server in which the raiding guilds make agreements, hash out disagreements, make amends after committing faults, and shoot the breeze. After the GMs told us about the coming event in the UN, the leadership of each guild informed their guild.

I highly recommend joining a guild - even if you don't intend to raid. It's a great source of friends, entertainment, and info. I hope this helps.

Don't think he's talking about the event. Think he's saying he wants a heads up when quakes are scheduled, which isn't likely to happen

Valakut
02-26-2024, 12:44 PM
This thread should have at least 1 star for every time Menden commented just out of respect. Don't always judge a book by it's cover guys.

killerbeebs
02-27-2024, 09:51 AM
The quake meta and drafts are making guilds not compete on cycle day. They’d rather wait for the next draft or chase after quake mobs with no other guild in the zone. Even teaming up with each other at certain points towards end of the quake as to not compete with each other.

Less quakes right now would be ideal

zelld52
02-27-2024, 10:12 AM
The quake meta and drafts are making guilds not compete on cycle day. They’d rather wait for the next draft or chase after quake mobs with no other guild in the zone. Even teaming up with each other at certain points towards end of the quake as to not compete with each other.

Less quakes right now would be ideal

ive noticed this with some of the guilds on green. its the same 3 guilds going after all of the natural cycle targets, while the other guilds "eat from the trash like a raccoon" as someone said earlier.

zelld52
02-27-2024, 10:15 AM
also as said here by others - it was cool when people were gearing up their 1st or 2nd toons. but now on quakes, its about gearing up your 3rd shitter rogue that is just for fun. or your 2nd shaman or 3rd cleric etc.

booter
02-27-2024, 01:03 PM
also as said here by others - it was cool when people were gearing up their 1st or 2nd toons. but now on quakes, its about gearing up your 3rd shitter rogue that is just for fun. or your 2nd shaman or 3rd cleric etc.

the inevitable result of a progression locked server designed in the late 90s

zelld52
02-27-2024, 01:50 PM
the inevitable result of a progression locked server designed in the late 90s

its not our fault they made this game SO GOOD and did everything (mostly) right

cd288
02-27-2024, 01:51 PM
ive noticed this with some of the guilds on green. its the same 3 guilds going after all of the natural cycle targets, while the other guilds "eat from the trash like a raccoon" as someone said earlier.

Confusing comment. What did you expect would happen with non instanced raiding? Natural targets have and always will be contested mostly by 2-3 of the same guilds because they have the size to track/monitor the spawns and mobilize a force large enough to take it down ASAP.

The draft/quakes aren't the reason for this. It's because the smaller guilds simply don't have the resources to contest natural spawns regularly. I don't think you played on this server before the draft/quakes. Natural spawns end up going the same way with or without the draft/quakes. Draft and quakes are basically the only way smaller guilds have a shot at getting anything.

This comment also seems nonsensical. So are people just not supposed to roll more than one alt? They're not allowed to roll a second or third or fourth alt and enjoy playing classic EQ and gearing that character up? This comment makes it seem like you're just whining because you have one main and don't like competing in DKP bids with someone's alt...but even then most guilds have loot rules on certain drops that don't allow someone to bid on the item for an alt or otherwise require a premium DKP bid such that sometimes people won't bid if it's for an alt. All you do on these forums is whine dude lol.

zelld52
02-27-2024, 02:39 PM
get a life lol

Toxigen
02-27-2024, 02:49 PM
#freethedkp

cd288
02-27-2024, 04:58 PM
get a life lol

The irony of someone saying this who has posted some of the threads and replies that you have over the past 2 years. Not to mention the fact that you are clearly evading a forum ban on your last account before this one.

Seems like someone might need to take their own advice a little bit :rolleyes:

aaezil
02-28-2024, 03:00 AM
Let these guys/gals/they-them destroy their friendships, marriages, and careers like real classic everquest raiders. There's nothing classic about quaking every weekend so everybody can gear up 19 different raid alts with tov gear.

It's completely disrupting the cycle of guilds on the server. Every respectable guild on the server has died or left permanently. If you're not in the one mega quake guild then you're in some roleplaying guild or reformed toxic guild that get's perpetually banned or it's a strawman guild stuffed with alts bypassing bag limits from their other main guild.

Make elitism elite again. As soon as it stops being easy. People will resort to strategy and team work again.

Mega cope from someone whose guild lost on blue? You should consider picking yourself up by your bootstraps and competing if you want to start “winning” again

Ennewi
02-28-2024, 11:02 AM
I don't think you played on this server before the draft/quakes.

zelld52
02-28-2024, 12:37 PM
The irony of someone saying this who has posted some of the threads and replies that you have over the past 2 years. Not to mention the fact that you are clearly evading a forum ban on your last account before this one.

Seems like someone might need to take their own advice a little bit :rolleyes:

lol wut? did you go through my history? creepo. get a life.

cd288
02-29-2024, 01:37 PM
lol wut? did you go through my history? creepo. get a life.

Why would I need to go through your history? I've seen multiple threads of yours that you've posted the last few months that are basically all complaining/whining. You also do the same thing in replies to other threads.

Do you have so little going on that you feel the need to post whiney things on the P99 forums (especially after you were clearly banned on your last account, yet still remain here on your new one)?

zelld52
03-01-2024, 09:09 PM
Do you have so little going on that you feel the need to post whiney things on the P99 forums (especially after you were clearly banned on your last account, yet still remain here on your new one)?

did you hit your head or something? what the hell are you talking about?

zelld52
03-01-2024, 09:10 PM
oops i thought i was posting in rants and flames apparently though im posting in praise and acceptance

Duik
03-01-2024, 09:14 PM
oops i thought i was posting in rants and flames apparently though im posting in praise and acceptance

We need this. Good idea.

magnetaress
03-02-2024, 12:28 PM
A giant tsunami wiped out Northern Africa and created the richote structure! Big quakes do that.

Honestly just do red 2.0 butt make everything 100x more scarce so it takes like three weeks to farm the pelts needed for patchwork. Like a full week of killing gobbos to get a set of bronze etc.

cd288
03-04-2024, 01:27 PM
did you hit your head or something? what the hell are you talking about?

Your frequent whiney posts and replies, that's what. And the fact that you got banned on your last account but felt the need to create a new one lol