PDA

View Full Version : EverQuest got better...

Bboboo
01-14-2024, 11:50 AM
After Velious.

Sorry you are stuck in that classic andy mindset.

Do better.

aussenseiter
01-14-2024, 12:39 PM
WHO IS ANDY

magnetaress
01-14-2024, 01:45 PM
Luclin best expansion. Level cap should never have gone past 60.

magnetaress
01-14-2024, 01:46 PM
Just add more leveling zones and races only.

Rager and Quitter
01-14-2024, 02:56 PM
I will say I had some fun with my buddies in LDoN. Lots of fun little challenges we would do in completing those.

Evia
01-14-2024, 04:49 PM
I've warmed up to luclin in my old age. AA's feel worth having at the cost of dumb cats and the moon.

Pop still sucks tho unless it launched without books to PoK. Books out of that zone is OK tho.
That would be the perfect eq server imho.

Since that doesn't exist tho I'll just settle with p99 and 2 xpacks.

kaluppo
01-14-2024, 06:22 PM
I've warmed up to luclin in my old age. AA's feel worth having at the cost of dumb cats and the moon.

Pop still sucks tho unless it launched without books to PoK. Books out of that zone is OK tho.

I agree. I also have warmed up to Luclin as I have aged. I never thought I would miss AA's but now I'm having a change of heart on the whole idea of AA grinding. I've been gone awhile but I've been thinking of coming back lately. Just not sure if I want to come back to P99 and stay in velious or go to a timeline server that goes up to Planes of Power.

Salaryman
01-14-2024, 11:49 PM
get outa here, velious is the only expansion in the history of mmos without power creep (the mechanic that killed the entire industry), btw I have Guardian Robe.

Duik
01-15-2024, 12:23 AM
get outa here, velious is the only expansion in the history of mmos without power creep (the mechanic that killed the entire industry), btw I have Guardian Robe.

Translation: With power creep my guardian robe looks even weaker than it actually is!

wuanahto
01-15-2024, 05:15 AM
so what 5 or 10 years before people are playing omens and saying pop was not bad?
ldon casual ftw or whats the deal here

Kohedron
01-15-2024, 10:06 AM
In some ways, sure

But forcing hub zones was an absolute dogshit terrible retarded idea

At least moon cat expansion was a bit less egregious about it. After PoP the old zones might as well have been deleted

magnetaress
01-15-2024, 01:15 PM

how is NToV not statflation like Veeshans Peak was?

Delete or re-itemize both those zones (or just make them questing and lore hubs) and I would agree luclin is bad. (ish)

barebones luclin tho was real gud. And u can give vex thall the same treatments.

Salaryman
01-15-2024, 06:51 PM
how is NToV not statflation like Veeshans Peak was?

Delete or re-itemize both those zones (or just make them questing and lore hubs) and I would agree luclin is bad. (ish)

barebones luclin tho was real gud. And u can give vex thall the same treatments.

looks like this n00b plays on a pve server, let me school u on some real info, from the top pvper. Velious items have low resists, and theres an ac cap so ac doesnt matter. other stats? already capped with kunark or buffs.

magnetaress
01-15-2024, 08:48 PM
looks like this n00b plays on a pve server, let me school u on some real info, from the top pvper. Velious items have low resists, and theres an ac cap so ac doesnt matter. other stats? already capped with kunark or buffs.

+100 all stats is dumb.

boromn
01-16-2024, 10:22 AM
Having played through Rain of Fear, I still honestly think PoP is the best expansion. Sure, PoK took away a lot of the expanse of the game, but it also added very cool / unique content. I just don't know how you could ever beat fighting all of the Gods with really cool monster models. I also feel like there was content for everyone, even mini raids for those who couldn't get into larger raiding guilds. The key gatekeeping was both good and bad. It could ruin some guilds progress but also added a bit of hype when you broke through. The last races to raid targets ever.

Luclin looking back had some plusses, but so much of that expac had no playability. Most of the zones were just boring empty spaces. I did enjoy VT and Ssra raids, but that was about it.

I would be curious as to how many people played deep into EQ that bitch about it constantly because it usually feels like most people quit after PoP. The game still had a ton of fun encounters to offer, it's just that other MMO's changed the landscape and people perceptions about what made a game enjoyable.

Bboboo
01-16-2024, 11:30 AM
I prefer my time to be WASTED by waiting for boats. It shows that I am a HARDCORE and SERIOUS gamer.

cd288
01-16-2024, 02:33 PM

My issues with Luclin have been the ways they take EQ more towards making things easy. Bazaar and the Nexus I dislike.

I also dislike the way they made Paludal Caverns totally well set up as a newbie zone and didn't bother to revamp any of the earlier starting zones, which meant everyone just took their new alts to PC.

boromn
01-16-2024, 04:47 PM
My issues with Luclin have been the ways they take EQ more towards making things easy. Bazaar and the Nexus I dislike.

I do have a love / hate relationship with EC. It's a great place to wheel and deal and feels a lot more skill based to some degree. On the other hand, if I am after a particular item, having to sit there for multiple days just in the hopes that someone ends up selling it is absolutely terrible. The bazaar certainly ruined the "fun" of the zone, but it solved a lot more issues than it created.

The nexus I never really found to be all that earth shattering. People that complain about to ease of travel apparently have no money to spend on a port? I have NEVER found it difficult to move around places even on P99. Any destination is just 20p away. I guess the only difference is I do have to talk to another player, albeit just one.

Naethyn
01-16-2024, 04:49 PM
bazaar arena

Danth
01-16-2024, 04:50 PM
Luclin's basic design can be distilled down to Kunark 2.0. It's practically the same basic setup as Kunark. Luclin is ruined by some horrible implementation, a terrible graphic overhaul, and unnecessary feature bloat, but those things were not core to the design. It was bad but did not have to be bad. With sufficient modification Luclin could be turned into a decent expansion following the Kunark mold.

Planes of Power is irredeemable garbage that ruined the game for anyone except the minority who liked raiding. It was trash when it was new, it's trash now, and it cannot be anything else. I spit on it.

cd288
01-16-2024, 05:15 PM
I do have a love / hate relationship with EC. It's a great place to wheel and deal and feels a lot more skill based to some degree. On the other hand, if I am after a particular item, having to sit there for multiple days just in the hopes that someone ends up selling it is absolutely terrible. The bazaar certainly ruined the "fun" of the zone, but it solved a lot more issues than it created.

The nexus I never really found to be all that earth shattering. People that complain about to ease of travel apparently have no money to spend on a port? I have NEVER found it difficult to move around places even on P99. Any destination is just 20p away. I guess the only difference is I do have to talk to another player, albeit just one.

Yeah I mean that's true on ports but I do think there's something to be said about being reliant on other players and paying them for their time. And while you're right that you can usually find ports on P99, there are def times where I've just been unable to find a port and have taken the boat or ran to my destination. Plus on P99 things are a bit different because you have DAP, so it's even easier to find a porter...a lot of servers on live didn't have a guild like that.

maxtorps
01-16-2024, 07:06 PM

I've news for you next episode. ;)

Neno
01-16-2024, 08:24 PM
Real classic EQ is Vanilla, RoK, and SoL.

magnetaress
01-16-2024, 08:50 PM
Luclin's basic design can be distilled down to Kunark 2.0. It's practically the same basic setup as Kunark. Luclin is ruined by some horrible implementation, a terrible graphic overhaul, and unnecessary feature bloat, but those things were not core to the design. It was bad but did not have to be bad. With sufficient modification Luclin could be turned into a decent expansion following the Kunark mold.

Planes of Power is irredeemable garbage that ruined the game for anyone except the minority who liked raiding. It was trash when it was new, it's trash now, and it cannot be anything else. I spit on it.

Very much agree.

WipeItClean2024
01-28-2024, 05:54 PM
Honestly if they nixxed the Luclin character model update and instead of cats did guk frogs as a playable race and did something besides "the moon" as the continent. Luclin would've gone down as one of EQ's best expansions ever. People are VERY anti cats and anti moons for whatever reason.

Sadre Spinegnawer
01-29-2024, 02:11 PM
WHO IS ANDY

I don't know but I think he's goofing on Elvis.

Kohedron
01-29-2024, 04:43 PM
anyone who defends PoP is factually objectively incorrect

htabdoolb
01-29-2024, 05:57 PM
My favorite memory of PoP was taking my main character, who was a low fifties paladin, to one of the new zones for some casual grouping, and getting smacked for 400+ points of damage per swing by the yard trash.. the dark blue /con yard trash. Coming from casual pickup groups in the old world and previous expansions to PoP's ridiculously overinflated damage tables and hit point pools felt like a splash of freezing water to the balls. Sometimes the Clerics wouldn't even be able to cast CH fast enough to keep my character from being completely flattened in less than ten seconds flat. And god forbid the puller brings along an add or two.

Toxigen
01-30-2024, 09:39 AM
People that say the EC tunnel is better than an automated bazaar have rocks in they heads.

Bboboo
01-30-2024, 06:06 PM
My favorite memory of PoP was taking my main character, who was a low fifties paladin, to one of the new zones for some casual grouping, and getting smacked for 400+ points of damage per swing by the yard trash.. the dark blue /con yard trash. Coming from casual pickup groups in the old world and previous expansions to PoP's ridiculously overinflated damage tables and hit point pools felt like a splash of freezing water to the balls. Sometimes the Clerics wouldn't even be able to cast CH fast enough to keep my character from being completely flattened in less than ten seconds flat. And god forbid the puller brings along an add or two.

seems like a get good situation

Ciderpress
01-30-2024, 08:10 PM
People that say the EC tunnel is better than an automated bazaar have rocks in they heads.

It's weird, I wouldn't mind only the bazaar by itself, but I have such a negative association with the weird unfinished crappy expansion that accompanied it that I'm EC tunnel all the way.

Something that always drives me nuts is the "it's faster to just buy it than camp it" argument for certain items. Oh, you want a solist wand? Wayyyyyy faster to just farm the plat and buy it! Well, if it's so rare in the first place that I should just buy it, why do you think there will be one for sale? Instead of camping it for two days and actually getting it (for free), it's better to watch auctions for like a month and buy it? That's "faster"? I don't think so.

Toxigen
01-31-2024, 09:57 AM
It's weird, I wouldn't mind only the bazaar by itself, but I have such a negative association with the weird unfinished crappy expansion that accompanied it that I'm EC tunnel all the way.

Something that always drives me nuts is the "it's faster to just buy it than camp it" argument for certain items. Oh, you want a solist wand? Wayyyyyy faster to just farm the plat and buy it! Well, if it's so rare in the first place that I should just buy it, why do you think there will be one for sale? Instead of camping it for two days and actually getting it (for free), it's better to watch auctions for like a month and buy it? That's "faster"? I don't think so.

thats why you dual box a char in EC tunnel so you can farm it at the same time and whatever happens first bonerjamz

cd288
02-05-2024, 03:42 PM

You could also post in the various auction discords that you're looking to buy. Can usually find whatever item, even a very rare one, pretty quickly that way

Mydrarian
02-08-2024, 08:25 AM
After Velious.

Sorry you are stuck in that classic andy mindset.

Do better.

This may be a stupid question, but who is Andy?

Garnaak
02-12-2024, 01:57 PM
Discord has filled the role that the bazaar did in Luclin. I guess if rangers want endless quiver, etc., adding Luclin AA's at level 60 could be fun here and allow character advancement past 60, just no moon please. Why isn't the Sleeper flying around the world wrecking random unsuspecting people?

Trexller
02-12-2024, 03:13 PM
No, discord is not even 1/1000th the convenience and price deflation that the bazaar creates

also, I don't have to hear lame nerd voices in the bazaar

Naethyn
02-12-2024, 03:18 PM
bazaar arena was the pinnacle of eq pvp.

Garnaak
02-12-2024, 03:22 PM
No, discord is not even 1/1000th the convenience and price deflation that the bazaar creates

also, I don't have to hear lame nerd voices in the bazaar

There is nothing stopping a savy web developer from making an out of game site that fully replicates the bazaar pricing and search functions. Yes, you would need to contact the player, possibly out of game to complete the transaction. Honestly a little surprised this hasn't occurred so far. I have heard no nerd voices in P99 tunnelquest channel, not sure what channel you are in.

Trexller
02-12-2024, 03:43 PM
or just use the bazaar.

cd288
02-13-2024, 02:03 PM
Discord has filled the role that the bazaar did in Luclin. I guess if rangers want endless quiver, etc., adding Luclin AA's at level 60 could be fun here and allow character advancement past 60, just no moon please. Why isn't the Sleeper flying around the world wrecking random unsuspecting people?

AAs would be cool to implement without the rest of Luclin. Would take some balancing though to make sure people didn't become OP with certain AAs vs Velious level content

Bboboo
02-13-2024, 05:53 PM
Paladins
Wizard
Rangers

All become relevant in Luclin

umadnow?

wuanahto
02-14-2024, 11:14 AM
Paladins
Wizard
Rangers

umadnow?

Adding too many classes was not our fault.
Look at what WoW did with like 6 classes

cd288
02-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Paladins
Wizard
Rangers

umadnow?

I mean I wouldn't say Wizards are irrelevant pre-Luclin. Certainly they get built out, but they are critical for damage on many targets and obviously are the only way to get to the Planes.