PDA

View Full Version : Items are not gold bars

enjchanter
01-08-2024, 07:35 PM
If you have an item you can't sell, don't try to include it in a trade for the current value of that item

Don't pawn off illiquid stuff on people and make then do the work selling it.

If it was worth what you're trading it in for you would have been able to sell it and get the plat to begin with

/rant

magnetaress
01-08-2024, 09:29 PM
Greed.

G-d bless.

Swish
01-08-2024, 11:35 PM
Can I get a discount on your fungi tunic if I add this nifty Silver Swiftblade? It's an awesome 2h starter for rangers. You like rangers don't you OP?

Troxx
01-08-2024, 11:37 PM
If you have an item you can't sell, don't try to include it in a trade for the current value of that item

If it was worth what you're trading it in for you would have been able to sell it and get the plat to begin with

/rant

Yeah no, I do this all the time with great success.

If you don't like the deal, just say no.

No need to be a little bitch about it.

enjchanter
01-09-2024, 12:52 AM
well i mean ofcourse i say no

but if you offer me plat + some item i dont want / you cant sell, hows it unfair to just value it at the lowest of its range so doing the work of moving the item is worth the trouble?

if you want my fungi its lame to be like will you take 28k + hand of the reaper
because theres no way youre getting 12k for that item

aussenseiter
01-09-2024, 01:08 AM
It's curious that a trade only economy never developed on P99

Some items are too good for useless money.

Jimjam
01-09-2024, 05:17 AM
It's curious that a trade only economy never developed on P99

Some items are too good for useless money.

Pp is only good for milk, muffins, bandages, vendor spells, gems and tink bags.

Would rather have the items in bank ready to roll a twink or to hand out to a needful pal than a pile of useless peepe.

magnetaress
01-09-2024, 11:01 AM
Spoken like a true Ferengi

DeathsSilkyMist
01-09-2024, 12:02 PM
Yeah no, I do this all the time with great success.

Agreed. I've had a number of trades where I ask if they would take plat + items, and they happened to need those items for another character. Easy trade.

People don't always read evey /auction message, or just miss them sometimes.

DeathsSilkyMist
01-09-2024, 12:11 PM
But I do agree with Enjchanter about prices. Typically if I do plat + items, I'll throw in more plat to undervalue the items, so people can get extra plat in total if they sell the items for market price. Sweetens the deal for people who don't need the items.

Toxigen
01-09-2024, 12:17 PM
the plat must flow

magnetaress
01-09-2024, 01:11 PM
There should be yearly plat deflation where the computer annually deletes 99% of everyone's plat and then redistributes it evenly among all accounts.

Naethyn
01-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Just respond with the same item they want to trade and it will cancel the other out simple math.

Smoofers
01-09-2024, 04:14 PM

Troxx
01-09-2024, 06:36 PM
But I do agree with Enjchanter about prices. Typically if I do plat + items, I'll throw in more plat to undervalue the items, so people can get extra plat in total if they sell the items for market price. Sweetens the deal for people who don't need the items.

I do the same thing. If I’m adding an item with a fair market value of say 6k … I’ll only credit it as like 4K so they can make a profit.

enjchanter
01-09-2024, 07:48 PM
I do the same thing. If I’m adding an item with a fair market value of say 6k … I’ll only credit it as like 4K so they can make a profit.

This is the correct way to include an item in trade.

The only nuance is that some items are nearly impossible to sell. Thusly should be valued no more than 50% of estimated worth imo

Troxx
01-09-2024, 10:02 PM
This is the correct way to include an item in trade.

The only nuance is that some items are nearly impossible to sell. Thusly should be valued no more than 50% of estimated worth imo

Pras.

If I want a thing that someone else has and lack the raw plat to buy it I ... ALWAYS ... make sure any items I offer to compensate are sharply lower than lowest average market values to cover the difference.

This was less of an issue 4-8 years ago when my server (blue) was more populated and with a more robust economy.

These days the problem with EC isn't a lack of funds - its finding a seller for what I want or a buyer for the goods I have to barter/sell.

Troxx
01-09-2024, 10:04 PM
The last few buys I've wanted aren't exactly expensive but I work all day and the chances of finding them in EC when I'm on - not the best. Its nice to have the ability to be flexible to get what i need to get when a seller is available - whether i have the raw plat at the time or not.

Kohedron
01-10-2024, 12:28 PM
sounds like you should tell the person doing this and not a bunch of random people who never did this. But yeah whatever works for you my man.

Toxigen
01-10-2024, 12:42 PM
i always avoided the tunnel at all costs

fortior
01-10-2024, 01:16 PM
If you add in an item you just ask whether it's okay first and then take a lower price for the inconvenience, simple as

Rygar
01-10-2024, 01:40 PM
Funny because plat is nearly useless in old EQ, port gems are like the only necessity and peridots.

Should have made armor quest gems for velious purchasable instead of world drops. Would have sucked a lot of plat out of the economy

Naethyn
01-10-2024, 01:49 PM
A ton of plat (100-300k) was removed from the server every single raid cycle. And then one day we removed recharges. So here we are.

Toxigen
01-10-2024, 01:55 PM
A ton of plat (100-300k) was removed from the server every single raid cycle. And then one day we removed recharges. So here we are.

yeah that really hurt...and on the other end too w/ guilds selling raid loot for funds

boromn
01-10-2024, 03:39 PM
This topic is clearly from someone who doesn't understand business. Giving yourself a "no" without even asking is severely limiting. Yes, I do this all the time because of many different scenarios.

a) maybe that person doesn't want to sit in EC all day and that initial plat offer plus the item gives them some liquid capital to play with.

b) they don't actually really care much about the item and are willing to take a loss. They certainly aren't going to advertise that.

c) some items are easier to sell than others, even at the same "value". For instance, a class specific item like an ebon mace might be valued at say 1600 plat, but you will have a harder time moving it than something like silver chitin handwraps. The same goes for the filler item. Maybe you take 1k plus a common 600p item to reduce your time in EC.

So really what you are saying is that you have no self-control to just say no and move on. It harms no one for either the ask to be made, or the rejection.

Rygar
01-10-2024, 05:43 PM

Forgot about recharges. My guess is proper velious gem costs from vendor only would have been a more consistent drain. Original devs missed the boat on a stable economy there, could do for every expansion essentially. Instead of kunark class armor dropping complete/functional need to buy gems to complete hand in, etc.

cd288
01-10-2024, 06:55 PM

/rant

I'll take an item + plat trade sometimes if it's an expensive item and they're going to give it to me at a 4 figure discount.

enjchanter
01-10-2024, 09:44 PM
This topic is clearly from someone who doesn't understand business. Giving yourself a "no" without even asking is severely limiting. Yes, I do this all the time because of many different scenarios.

a) maybe that person doesn't want to sit in EC all day and that initial plat offer plus the item gives them some liquid capital to play with.

b) they don't actually really care much about the item and are willing to take a loss. They certainly aren't going to advertise that.

c) some items are easier to sell than others, even at the same "value". For instance, a class specific item like an ebon mace might be valued at say 1600 plat, but you will have a harder time moving it than something like silver chitin handwraps. The same goes for the filler item. Maybe you take 1k plus a common 600p item to reduce your time in EC.

So really what you are saying is that you have no self-control to just say no and move on. It harms no one for either the ask to be made, or the rejection.

I do just say no but people will expect "oh I have an item that averages 50k plat so it's obviously worth 50k in a trade"

Not many items are fluid enough to be used at their standard value.

I'd take a fungi / cof type item as a trade at a slight discount but someone offers me a blade of carnage at 80-100k value , no shot I'm taking that deal. You may have paid 90k for that thing but you're gunna have a hell of a time selling it. So I'll value ur boc at 50k and that way you don't have to come up with 50k plat and we can do business.

Nostalgiabait
02-18-2024, 08:50 AM
an item that can't be sold to a player for lack of willing buyers has a market value equal to its vendor price

this is Free Market 101 stuff

jdmchris
02-21-2024, 05:13 PM
Sorry you have a hard life bruv, keep on keeping on.

Ciderpress
02-21-2024, 06:41 PM
If they offer more plat than they should because they understand that I have to go through the extra hassle of selling the item that they're clearly having trouble selling, that's fine.

If the offer basically just treats the unsold item as if it were already sold, you're just outsourcing a chore to me. Nah.

OP is mostly right and is not being a "little bitch" for complaining, although he could also put "(firm)" in his auctions which usually weeds out the annoying bargain bin dudes.

My pet peeve is when people list stuff with no price at all. WTS: Expensive Item. Why? What is the purpose of this?

DeathsSilkyMist
02-21-2024, 06:52 PM
My pet peeve is when people list stuff with no price at all. WTS: Expensive Item. Why? What is the purpose of this?

A lot of people undercut the price of others. If someone's listing an item for 10k, someone else will just ask for 9.8k on their listing instead.

Naethyn
02-21-2024, 06:53 PM
https://imgur.com/nNzWY83.jpg

Ciderpress
02-21-2024, 07:06 PM
A lot of people undercut the price of others. If someone's listing an item for 10k, someone else will just ask for 9.8k on their listing instead.

That's what I assumed but personally I usually just ignore people who don't list a price cause I don't want to do the whole negotiation routine. I see an item, for a price, and if I want it bad enough for that price and I have the money I buy it. So you might have sold your item sooner to a buyer like me than withholding the price in order to save 200p over the undercutting jerk. Time is money(plat) and everything.

Pulgasari
02-21-2024, 11:48 PM
Why not just farm Soles of Night?

It's free platinum.

Castle2.0
02-22-2024, 12:29 PM
You're right, my manastones are manastones, not gold bars, lol

Toxigen
02-22-2024, 12:48 PM
Even Naethyn is a tunnelquester.

Jimjam
02-22-2024, 03:40 PM
Even Naethyn is a tunnelquester.

Probably only cos it is unfashionable to be poor.