PDA

View Full Version : Sense Heading

bhughes
10-11-2023, 05:39 AM
One of my biggest gripes is sense heading failing at level 200. I know back in 98 it would have been tough to include some kind of graphical compass, enter sense heading as a skill that you leveled like any other but why the damn fails? I'm always using the thing even at level 56 only to see it fail all the time.

What other skill fails like it does? Not sneak or hide on my rogue. I guess monk feign fails sometimes.

OK, maybe it should fail if your drunk.

No, I know damn well it will never be changed, so don't try to poke fun at me for whining.

I think I'll go Mel Brooks here, History of the World Part 1 and I'll be the art critic in the cave and the artwork is our wonderful sense heading ability!

Sense Heading has failed!

Long live p99!

Smoofers
10-11-2023, 06:20 AM
Can you tell which direction you are facing in real life under 100% of circumstances?

Jimjam
10-11-2023, 07:23 AM
Can you tell which direction you are facing in real life under 100% of circumstances?

This is something people are able to learn to do. Some cultures don’t have concepts of left/right forward/back (i.e using self as directional reference point), instead using a universal reference point not dissimilar to compass headings.

As such I don't think it is unrealistic for capped sense heading to be infallible.

That said, if it ain’t part of Brad’s vision: Not Classic.

magnetaress
10-11-2023, 09:12 AM
Some cultures don’t have concepts of left/right forward/back

This is the way

Duik
10-11-2023, 09:43 AM

Can you cast snare, sow or Ice Comet in real life?

Also, if im at home i can. My house is almost exactly aligned to east/west and north/south. So even eyes closed i could tell what room im in, and point to compass directions quite accurately.

Also also, im old enough to think my sow spell is closer to a snare based on my run speed...

Ooloo
10-11-2023, 10:17 AM
Failing a sow pot combine at max alch is pretty depressing, I can tell ya that

Smoofers
10-11-2023, 10:22 AM
Can you cast snare, sow or Ice Comet in real life?

Also, if im at home i can. My house is almost exactly aligned to east/west and north/south. So even eyes closed i could tell what room im in, and point to compass directions quite accurately.

Also also, im old enough to think my sow spell is closer to a snare based on my run speed...

My point is that the devs were trying to emulate real life, at least for this skill.

Snaggles
10-11-2023, 11:37 AM
Of all the gripes to have about EQ I never thought to add this one.

unsunghero
10-11-2023, 12:23 PM
Know what I miss from retail EQ?

Not being able to fizzle level 4 spells with max skill, sometimes multiple goddamn times in a row

Rager and Quitter
10-11-2023, 01:44 PM
If we're talking about serious annoyances, I really think Iksars should be able to use fishing grubs as food.

magnetaress
10-11-2023, 03:09 PM
If we're talking about serious annoyances, I really think Iksars should be able to use fishing grubs as food.

https://media.tenor.com/1Llg-FQMxSsAAAAC/one-hundred-percent-maclen-stanley.gif

bhughes
10-11-2023, 09:17 PM
I didn't mention trade skills failing, I tried and failed to max jewelry on live. I wouldn't expect 100% success.

As far as real life goes if you have a compass, and I do, there is no fail.

Why wasn't tracking programmed to fail reporting the direction of your target once in awhile? Does the tracking window fail to appear when activating the skill?

Does bard corpse song not always point you in the correct location? Sense Dead?

Does corpse drag suddenly go oops and not work?

Instead of walking forward you trip and fall and bruise your arm!

You failed to duck and that nuke actually lands on Tunare!

All of the possible failures of the game's mechanics were specifically coded to do so including trade skills and sense heading. Many skills such as sneak, hide, lockpick, never fail at higher levels.

I suppose I could spam sense heading over and over to come up with a succeed / fail ratio and compare it to other skills, I'm guessing that it probably lazily shares the same programming as trade skill failure instead of a skill like sneak or hide.

magnetaress
10-11-2023, 09:31 PM
I like the idea of random failures for everything. And random critical failures too.

I also like the idea of making it so you have an ever increasing chance to succeed capping under 100% that resets to 0% once you succeed a dice roll. In order to simulate determination.

There should be an upper bounds more like 80% on success tho and it should theoretically be impossible to succeed if the universe hates you.

magnetaress
10-11-2023, 09:34 PM
I mean like a crit fail on something like sense heading too could be something hilarious like you pass out and awake disoriented. Or you have hallucinations. Or you go blind. Maybe temporarily. Or maybe permanently. Or maybe your brain worms become suddenly acute.

I would have fun with it!

Jimjam
10-11-2023, 11:17 PM
I feel different zones need different difficulty modifiers.

Like foggy, creepy, maze like zones should be more difficult to stay orientated in than open plains.

bhughes
10-12-2023, 01:58 AM
yeah, i suppose in zones that snow, sense heading should basically not work in a white out. In the midwest they had to have rope between the house and the outhouse or people would die.