PDA

View Full Version : How can you be bad at your class at 60?

zelld52
09-03-2023, 10:05 AM
I know.

Because you chose the path most travelled. Unrest, Mistmoore, City of Mist and Karnors from 20-60.

Because you sat in camp as a rogue AFK watching YouTube waiting for pulls.

Because you didn't practice splitting mobs on pulls as a monk, you just threw on a Fungi, IFS and got to 50.

Because you don't Bind Wound as a shaman.

Because you swarmed your bard to 60.

Because you did Wakening Land Geonids to 60.

Because your guild has 100 people on a raid, so you don't really contribute anything, anyway.

magnetaress
09-03-2023, 10:11 AM
A lot of ppl just log into their friends toon or are:

>quote
"Wives, sisters, cousins, kids, girlfriends, brothers, etc"
>/unquote

These tend to be the worst of the worst !

zelld52
09-03-2023, 10:19 AM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/276/783/817.png

zelld52
09-03-2023, 10:22 AM
A lot of ppl just log into their friends toon or are:

>quote
"Wives, sisters, cousins, kids, girlfriends, brothers, etc"
>/unquote

These tend to be the worst of the worst !

My son, who doesn't speak english, likes to log in a cleric any time I die to rez me.

He doesn't play besides that. He only likes to rez and buff. SO I let him leech exp every one in a while.

Topgunben
09-03-2023, 11:50 AM
It’s hard to learn how to play a character when the account I bought already had 8 toons maxed to 60.

Check your privilege at the door Sir.

wuanahto
09-03-2023, 12:02 PM
can you explain the bind wounds thing? sitting to bw was not added until lands of the gnollish foremothers xpac

aussenseiter
09-03-2023, 12:04 PM

That sounds horrible.

arvidez
09-03-2023, 02:07 PM
videogames is at the top the list of things i am worst at. it was an early ego check for me.
i am one of the guys you are better than at video games, and i appreciate that.

Sadre Spinegnawer
09-03-2023, 02:52 PM
Well, numerous accounts are cafe accounts, from over in Asia. They don't break the p99 eula, but who is playing most of the characters in one current top guild, is anyone's guess.

Fat Li's Internet Cafe. Downtown Seoul. Guy has been running eq rigs since forever. Invented the word "farming." Woke the sleeper on live, him and his clueless minions.

loramin
09-03-2023, 03:11 PM

You're bad if you bind wounds as a Shaman at 60. Torpor is just a smidge faster.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/a6O5pzQ8pAPTCoeagK/giphy.gif

unsunghero
09-03-2023, 03:19 PM
I feel like those satire drinking motivational memes apply to how I stay bad at p99

mycoolrausch
09-03-2023, 03:43 PM
Most people on p99, after 24 years of EQ osmosis, play their class to a base level of competency that would have far exceeded the average 60 23 years ago. The main thing people are bad at is p99 specific meta stuff like wort pot usage, social and secondary aggro mechanics, warrior aggro as it relates to the dps and debuffers, the precise way raid mob AEs and spellcast works especially in regards to mob and player positioning, etc etc

They don't wanna learn all that crap. And who can blame them.

Duik
09-03-2023, 05:08 PM
I was bad.
Was a static grouping wiz with a staff of fhe wheel and star of eyes.
Instant clicky Identify. Was it a gcd reset? Dunno, hadnt even heard of it back then. If that makes me le badz so be it.

Relax. Play da game. Dont be afraid to be a member of the "Im the best at EQ and I shut my smartarse fat mouth" club.

branamil
09-03-2023, 06:41 PM
My son, who doesn't speak english, likes to log in a cleric any time I die to rez me.

He doesn't play besides that. He only likes to rez and buff. SO I let him leech exp every one in a while.

My 9 year old autistic daughter inexplicably became fascinated with a 25 year old video game that is primarily played by 45 year old unemployed men.

The only thing that soothes her is to cast complete heal on me every 11 seconds for hours on end. So I let her do it. She is also nonverbal with limited motor skills so please don't make her do a GM Boxing test as that would be ableist.

Arvan
09-03-2023, 11:05 PM
I know.

Because you chose the path most travelled. Unrest, Mistmoore, City of Mist and Karnors from 20-60.

Because you sat in camp as a rogue AFK watching YouTube waiting for pulls.

Because you didn't practice splitting mobs on pulls as a monk, you just threw on a Fungi, IFS and got to 50.

Because you swarmed your bard to 60.

Because you did Wakening Land Geonids to 60.

Because your guild has 100 people on a raid, so you don't really contribute anything, anyway.

Rmt account buying or buying PL or just the fact that there are lots and lots of bads

Solist
09-03-2023, 11:18 PM
Pro tip.

Most people can’t play their class even if they think they’re good at it. The average mage owner can’t run a quad da. Average rogue can’t get a doze engage and position a da to disc. Average nec can’t pet walk around for shit. Average shaman can’t bind sight a pet and fd/pet walk/doesn’t carry ant javs/emeralds/can’t stand to top slot chloroplast. Average monk can’t do much of any use. Average warrior has no concept of an engage/covering gaps with worts and reaper or has any real clue about mechanics of aggro. Average Druid generally sucks at getting a pet set up/knowing every succor point etc. any class has a million failures on this server as most people are terrible at eq. Luckily they’re carried.

None of that stuff has anything to do with leveling.

aussenseiter
09-03-2023, 11:33 PM
Pro tip.

Most people can’t play their class even if they think they’re good at it. The average mage owner can’t run a quad da. Average rogue can’t get a doze engage and position a da to disc. Average nec can’t pet walk around for shit. Average shaman can’t bind sight a pet and fd/pet walk/doesn’t carry ant javs/emeralds/can’t stand to top slot chloroplast. Average monk can’t do much of any use. Average warrior has no concept of an engage/covering gaps with worts and reaper or has any real clue about mechanics of aggro. Average Druid generally sucks at getting a pet set up/knowing every succor point etc. any class has a million failures on this server as most people are terrible at eq. Luckily they’re carried.

That doesn't seem like useful knowledge to have.

Lowako
09-04-2023, 04:01 AM
a lot of people struggle with the fundamentals of not having huge gaps inbetween their spell casts, cant target what they want to, staying in melee range of what they're trying to hit, not keyboard turning, strafe running to outrun mobs etc. even concepts like "dont stand next to the rooted mob" and "breaking mez is a bad idea" are too complex to grasp for some people.

tons of people play druid or necro w/o ever having casted a charm spell in their life when they can single handedly carry an entire group with it. i've even seen enchanters play in groups and not charm anything, they just stand in a corner and walk back to their PC every 30 minutes to refresh buffs.

the game doesn't require a lot from people while leveling anyways - almost every class in the game can solo well into their 50s by doing nothing but killing 1 single spawn mob in some random ass zone w/ no other mobs around every 6 minutes.

playing in a group and not being afk 50% of the time is enough to get you recognized as an above average player, the bar is on the floor.

i dont blame ppl though - the community is willing to carry people that are barely cognizant of their surroundings at best or half afk because they're tabbed out watching netflix / playing a different game / doing chores around the house. same goes for being a warmbody in raid - the guy hard carrying by scoring FTE / pulling / DA training (whatever the raid meta is these days, i havent played since obama was president) is getting the same dkp for killing the dragon as the guy who is sitting in highpass farming DA idols.

Jimjam
09-04-2023, 06:08 AM
If the community is happy with a certain standard maybe the things you value aren’t as important to playing together as you think they are?

unsunghero
09-04-2023, 09:39 AM
If the community is happy with a certain standard maybe the things you value aren’t as important to playing together as you think they are?

I’m assuming on P99 this all has to do with non-instanced raiding causing there to be many more times the necessary people to accomplish a task, and for grouping having twinked gear trivialize the content

The alternative isn’t all sunshine and rainbows neither though. From what I heard WoW retail mythic+ raids are insane. Not only does literally everyone have to be 100% on point with many, many different raid mechanics (like stand here, now stand there, no go get this item and place it here, etc) all at once, but every player has to be perfect like that for 10-15 minutes straight during a fight or everyone instantly dies

People say it sucks and it’s stressful. Average players like Asmongold won’t raid anymore because of it. So it’s a delicate line between too easy and too stressful sometimes

Toxigen
09-04-2023, 10:45 AM
I’m assuming on P99 this all has to do with non-instanced raiding causing there to be many more times the necessary people to accomplish a task, and for grouping having twinked gear trivialize the content

The alternative isn’t all sunshine and rainbows neither though. From what I heard WoW retail mythic+ raids are insane. Not only does literally everyone have to be 100% on point with many, many different raid mechanics (like stand here, now stand there, no go get this item and place it here, etc) all at once, but every player has to be perfect like that for 10-15 minutes straight during a fight or everyone instantly dies

People say it sucks and it’s stressful. Average players like Asmongold won’t raid anymore because of it. So it’s a delicate line between too easy and too stressful sometimes

25Um9QnIO3g

Sadre Spinegnawer
09-04-2023, 11:37 AM
Past a certain age, intensive online gaming is a difficult physiological problem. I know gamers often discuss exercise routines, etc., but that's like a junkie describing how they avoid constipation. That *is* a win, but you know, zoom out a bit. Or, wait 20 years.

So at a certain point this is what a guild leader can seem like to you:
https://i.imgur.com/yswOHTm.jpg

That's life. Lots of fuckers gonna kill themselves and have from the unreal stress levels a proper bastard of a raid will rain down on all involved.

I feel sorry for the kids whose moms played eq when they were pregnant. That's like a cortisol Silkwood shower 8 hours a night if you are competitive. Fiesty fetus syndrome.

Smoofers
09-04-2023, 11:54 AM
You're bad if you bind wounds as a Shaman at 60. Torpor is just a smidge faster.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/a6O5pzQ8pAPTCoeagK/giphy.gif

Spamming torpor doesn't make you a good shaman, hope this helps

Evia
09-04-2023, 12:23 PM
I realized on Green launch that many many people play EQ has a secondary task. So they afk a lot to do whatever they're primarily focused in and "check back " on the game. While I don't blame ppl for doing it (tbh it's kinda smart if you can get away with it) but it's annoying as fuck. When I play EQ I'm all in totally focused and I feel like that's not actually very common anymore.

Sadre Spinegnawer
09-04-2023, 02:28 PM
I realized on Green launch that many many people play EQ has a secondary task. So they afk a lot to do whatever they're primarily focused in and "check back " on the game. While I don't blame ppl for doing it (tbh it's kinda smart if you can get away with it) but it's annoying as fuck. When I play EQ I'm all in totally focused and I feel like that's not actually very common anymore.

Peak hours players are normal people and this game is not that hard. So they are cooking food and stuff. Or, they might be glued to their seats, soaked in cold sweat because this game is pushing them to their limits but they are hiding it by *saying* they are sorry for being afk. In fact they blacked out from so much raw cortisol being dumped into their system and no one ever told them hell was inside a 20+ year old elf simulator.

People are coming from different places in life. You have to know when to pull the mob, when not to. When to join a group, when to walk away. And when to run.

Ooloo
09-04-2023, 02:44 PM
I think a big part of it is that p99 is free and you can have basically unlimited accounts and freely share them. So the sense of stakes is a lot lower than in 1999 when you had to pay 10 bucks a month to play.
Filthy slacker casuals were less common for that reason, and the people playing had more of an incentive to pay attention and not suck since they were ostensibly paying money to see the full content of the game. And your reputation mattered more since you only had 8 character slots.

Also probably didn't hurt that you couldn't alt-tab out of the original client.

Arvan
09-04-2023, 03:20 PM
That doesn't seem like useful knowledge to have.

literally none of if it is useful aside from a narrow meta created by the extremely mentally ill

Sadre Spinegnawer
09-04-2023, 04:25 PM
literally none of if it is useful aside from a narrow meta created by the extremely mentally ill

Never underestimate the narrow meta created by the unwell. That's what they said about spam, you know. Now look. It's everywhere.

Snaggles
09-04-2023, 04:57 PM
"Because you don't Bind Wound as a shaman"

An optimal shaman is canni dancing until 58 when timing becomes problematic. I'm not sure when the ideal "bandaging shaman" range comes into play but I got a good laugh nonetheless.

enjchanter
09-04-2023, 09:22 PM
Spamming torpor doesn't make you a good shaman, hope this helps

Spamming bind wound doesn't make you a good shaman either

enjchanter
09-04-2023, 09:23 PM

If eq was any slower paced , it'd be a crossword puzzle

magnetaress
09-04-2023, 09:43 PM

Try red :o.O;

wittles
09-04-2023, 09:55 PM
Pro tip.

On live as a raiding 65 Warrior, 60 Bard, 65 Druid, and 62 Necro, I didn't have to do any of those things and my raids were just fine.

spoil
09-04-2023, 10:47 PM

I never played WoW. I like the raids in Elder Scrolls Online, it's an action-combat game so the mechanics are a lot more about avoiding damage by moving/blocking/roll dodging than anything super choreographed. Then boss fights are often split up with add phases or part of your group has to enter a portal or something and kill a mini boss. The combat is very fluid too, with only 10 abilities you use a dynamic rotation rather than memorizing a long static sequence. The game is still very challenging, like only a handful of groups in the world have the trifecta (hard mode, no death, speed run) of the latest raid released in June.

This is what it looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry_VDzV10rg

spoil
09-04-2023, 10:52 PM
Ry_VDzV10rg

Since when can't you edit a post here?

unsunghero
09-04-2023, 11:21 PM
Speaking of sucking…

Made a pet on steroids with haste and offhand book of eternals. Was fighting with it outside when the game decided to do its favorite thing which is spawn 4 adds, and path them all directly into the pet, and also break charm…twice (on a low blue with tash + -10 MR when I have 255cha, but whatever, apparently charm never breaks on p99 amirite)

Ended up getting overwhelmed and ultimately dying because bad

Got back to my body but the mob with my book was gone. So I combed the entire fucking zone until I found the fucker who had my book, who was hiding in a corner far away from where I died waiting for his 4 friends to spawn like the little bitch that he is

Killed him, and even though the book was in his goddamn hands, no book on his body. This is likely because charm broke the first time the second I was handing him the book. Considering this is the second time this has happened in the span of 2 weeks where a charmed mob chomped my -Mr item, really makes me apprehensive about handing Mr gear to charmed mobs

Anyway, just wanted to rant. Charm never breaks on p99 btw

Trexller
09-05-2023, 12:07 AM
Speaking of sucking…

any enchanter regardless of skill would be screwed in that situation

you had 5 mobs and one of em is buffed/hasted/dual wielding

when i find myself totally screwed in game, i just bust out laughing

this is why we like EQ so much, it's easy to play but on the other hand can go so wrong so fast without hope of recovery

unsunghero
09-05-2023, 01:05 AM
any enchanter regardless of skill would be screwed in that situation

you had 5 mobs and one of em is buffed/hasted/dual wielding

when i find myself totally screwed in game, i just bust out laughing

this is why we like EQ so much, it's easy to play but on the other hand can go so wrong so fast without hope of recovery

I appreciate the kind words, but it’s mostly caused by my greed. I prefer to keep wandering mind permanently on bar because it speeds up the kill rate, especially when I can mez+ToT+Wandering mind+blur any roaming casters outside for ez free mana. But wandering mind competes for its slot with either aoe mez or a second stun. With either of these on my bar, I could have a slightly better chance of surviving. Part of the reason I died was I was getting pummeled too fast, taking too much damage to get color slant off

Anyone who thinks p99 channeling is easy-mode, that paragraph above should be some decent fap material. Have at it ;)

unsunghero
09-05-2023, 01:10 AM
^
“Ohh yea you were getting pummeled and interrupted too much? Couldn’t channel through it? Ohhh, fuck yea”

spoil
09-05-2023, 10:45 AM
I have a 60 and 52 chanter, never play without 2 stuns on my bar even with wm and tot. Spells 3-6 on my bar are always stun/stun/charm/bedlam and that never changes regardless.

Ennewi
09-05-2023, 10:50 AM
If eq was any slower paced , it'd be a crossword puzzle

*autostereogram

Sadre Spinegnawer
09-05-2023, 10:52 AM
25Um9QnIO3g

People need to get clear in this thread.

The camping and level grind is one aspect of this beast.

Raiding is another. And that is the goal, and the problem.

Two different parts of the game. This clip shows what raiding has come down to in current games. I was doing eq2 until this stupid boss with a light up floor and you had to step on certain colors and I realized: this is only going to get worse. I am likely not dead from a heart attack because of that wise choice. So the baby mode p99 and tlp's fill the void(monster).

That's why everyone is scratching their head about how to make a true sandbox. Because online gaming today, if you like to be competitive, is a room full of people shaving a few months off their life from sheer stress levels. Unless these are all zen masters too.

unsunghero
09-05-2023, 11:54 AM
^
I used to joke and call raiding in WoW “dance dance revolution”

Stand here, now stand there, now hop on one foot…

magnetaress
09-05-2023, 12:19 PM
If it was DDR where u and ur partners had to stand on an actual dance pad to beat the bosses it would be good for u

its just sheer autism and psychosis

skinner box google it

The guys selling these games are idiots tho because their skinner box pscyhology degree game mechs are actually killing their genre

(world building and exploration... exposition thru discovering new npcs and areas with lore driblets everywhere)

that isn't something the devs are good at anymore tho, Ion is a #s guy he's not very touchy feely or deep. He got into compci cuz binary is easier to understand for him then Jesus

magnetaress
09-05-2023, 12:21 PM
The best MMO will be some kind of sneaky way of bringing you to Jesus Christ the Lord and Savior through some kind of epic adventure where you and your character are redeemed through suffering and compassion. Understanding, and glory to the commandments and G-d and his creation.

Then you will not need an MMO anymroe because you will be in his loving embrace!

unsunghero
09-05-2023, 12:56 PM
If it was DDR where u and ur partners had to stand on an actual dance pad to beat the bosses it would be good for u

That would definitely be interesting watching the in-game sweaties get IRL sweaty and ultimately be unable to raid due to not being able to physically keep up ;)

skulldudes
09-05-2023, 01:54 PM
my monk is only level 58 but i'll still be bad at 60, i dunno how i live with myself not being an expert at a single niche game that nobody else in the world cares about :(

Jimjam
09-05-2023, 02:22 PM
Was pretty fun using the PS2 DDR mat to play games that were totally not meant to be played with it.

Sadre Spinegnawer
09-05-2023, 02:27 PM
^
I used to joke and call raiding in WoW “dance dance revolution”

Stand here, now stand there, now hop on one foot…

You know what I'm talking about.

The thrill of that ... I'm sorry. Not deep for me.

Hard to imagine what kind of competitive online game could exist today, that doesn't turn into dance dance revolution. People who talk about "skill" are kind of misled imo.

EQ was an alternate world for a while that included an excellent competitive end game. A hell of a lot of the skill pertained to being able to do this and not destroy your life, tbh. Many were lost along the way. I step over their bodies with no regrets.

See, that's not skill. That's being a bit off.

Sadre Spinegnawer
09-05-2023, 02:29 PM
Being an insomniac never felt so good as it did in 1999.

unsunghero
09-05-2023, 02:54 PM
Was pretty fun using the PS2 DDR mat to play games that were totally not meant to be played with it.

Lol that does sound fun

magnetaress
09-05-2023, 03:17 PM

DDR mat = 8 pads or 14 pads if you use one as a modifier key. So 8 to 14 binds. Perfect for classic EQ

Sadre Spinegnawer
09-05-2023, 04:50 PM
Wait. I thought this was being moved to the Nursing Home server ideas thread.

My gang can't do ddr. They're hefting soup cans and calling it a win fer chrissakes.

spoil
09-05-2023, 09:38 PM
Two different parts of the game. This clip shows what raiding has come down to in current games. I was doing eq2 until this stupid boss with a light up floor and you had to step on certain colors and I realized: this is only going to get worse. I am likely not dead from a heart attack because of that wise choice. So the baby mode p99 and tlp's fill the void(monster).

That's why everyone is scratching their head about how to make a true sandbox. Because online gaming today, if you like to be competitive, is a room full of people shaving a few months off their life from sheer stress levels. Unless these are all zen masters too.

Raiding in an action-combat MMO is completely different. Check out the run I posted and you'll see the mechanics are mostly move out of cleave/meteors, block/dodge and stuff like that. I guess it's still 'stressful' in its own way as you're going for a no-death speed run but the gameplay is completely different from what I've seen from WoW or FF in terms of heavily choreographed mechanics.

eisley
09-07-2023, 01:54 PM
shit, if you didn't bind wound *yourself* mid-combat you were a scrub, unworthy of being rendered by my video card.

or maybe you were just invis.