PDA

View Full Version : Why are the TD raptors uncharmable?

long.liam
05-15-2023, 12:59 AM
What's the story behind why the TD raptors were made uncharmable? Too many petitions put in for hogging the mobs? Strange why they made it uncharmable. As far as I know they were charmable in EQ classic era and are still charmable on live.

long.liam
05-15-2023, 01:00 AM
What's the story behind why the TD raptors were made uncharmable? Too many petitions put in for hogging the mobs? Strange why they made it uncharmable. As far as I know they were charmable in EQ classic era and are still charmable on live.

By charmable, I mean druid animal charm won't land. Infact I don't think any animal spells will land on them.

long.liam
05-15-2023, 01:07 AM
"
------------------------------
February 13, 2002 3:00 am
------------------------------

** General **

- Improved sound for many users. Should eliminate a lot of the
"choppy" sound issues
- Fixed one of the link-death-while-zoning bugs
- Characters who disconnect while zoning shouldn't be 'stuck' for an
inordinate amount of time
- Renamed all will-o-wisps and will o' wisps to Fred.
- Reconsidered and changed Fred to willowisp.
- Pets no longer pace. Pets will now, when close to you, STOP.
- Many higher level NPCs now have a random delay before they initially
spawn. This means that they will appear at a more random time interval
after servers or zones are brought up. This is designed to provide a
fairer distribution of these NPCs across all time zones
- If you right click to auto-inventory an item that you are looting and
it will not fit into your inventory, the item will simply appear on
your cursor as if you had left clicked on it

** Gameplay Related **

- NPC and PC corpses can now be /considered to find out how long until
they decay, and PC corpses additionally tell you how long you have to
resurrect them
- The timer for corpses is now seven days for any corpse over level
five, whether the player is on-line or off-line or any combination of
the two
- Characters below level eight will no longer see light blue cons
- Spires will no longer try to teleport you to Luclin if you do not own
the expansion, and therefore will no longer move you to the 'safe
point' in the zone when it can't take you to the Nexus
- Pets can now be targeted by typing their full name after the /target
command (or at least enough of it to distinguish it from the owner)
- Knockback now works correctly when on a horse
- Summoning a horse in Plane of Sky will no longer allow you to
levitate
- Gating when in the same zone that you are bound no longer causes
problems
- Horses will no longer disappear when a character is moved to the
'safe point'

** Trade Skill Related **

- Added several trade skill items to Grobb; including a brewing supply
vendor, a brew barrel, a baking vendor, a standard forge, a pottery
cooking mold vendor, a kiln, a pottery wheel, and a sketch vendor.
- Added water flasks to two merchants in the Bazaar
- Added high quality ore vendors to Bazaar, Kaladim, and Qeynos that
sell a limited supply of HQ Ore
- Fixed an inconsistency with the armor class of Enchanted Imbued
Dwarven Plate compared to the armor class of other Dwarven-smithed
plate armor
- Batwing Pie, Bug Bites and Deadly Medley now exist
- Repaired the recipe for Superior Gnomish Spirits\Gnomish Cleaning
Substance
- Increased the drop rates of cultural armor temper components
- Added hilt mold vendors to more cities

** Quest Related **

- Made adjustments to the Whistling Fists quest
- Reduced the spawn time of the Zordak Ragefire in SoldungB. He will
now reappear every 24 hours
- Repaired some problems with the Luclin Owlbear Dart and Vah Shir
Runed Totem quests

** Spell Related **

- Eye of Zomm and Eye of Tallon are now non-KoS in a fashion similar to
familiars
- Koadic's Endless Intellect stacking has been fixed. If a player has
Koadic's Endless Intellect on them and anyone casts Breeze, Clarity,
Clarity 2, Boon of the Clear Mind, Gathering of the Mind, or Gift of
Pure Thought on them, it will fail and the Koadic's will remain.
- Mind Wrack gives mana instead of taking mana away
- Charm is immediately removed from charmed NPC's when the character
that charmed them casts invisibility
- Made some small improvements to Marzin's Mark
- Corrected some stacking issues with Nature's Recovery
- Blast of Frost scroll has been made available for Beastlords
- Self-only level 51+ spells will no longer fail to cast if the caster
has a lower level character targeted.
- Egress should once again force a 'zone' to clear aggro
- The damage component of Elnerick's Entombment of Ice no longer causes
the spell to have a chance at breaking its root component
- Snakes in Lavastorm and Paineel are now animals
- Hammerheads are now animals
- Treants in the Plane of Growth are now plants
- Timorous Deep gators, fish, and raptors are now animals
- Rock Hoppers in Hollowshade Moor, Shar Vahl and Shadeweavers are now
animals
- Paludal and Fungusgrove Wetfang Minnows are now animals
- Underbulks and Shik`Nar in Fungusgrove are now insects
- Rhino Beetles in Shadeweavers Thicket and Hollowshade Moor are now
insects
- Shrooms in Fungusgrove are now plants
- Lightcrawlers in Mons Seru are now insects
"
Just a little bit of research. I know it's classic, but damn that sucks. No charming in TD for Druids until 2002, beyond the timeline.

Sadre Spinegnawer
05-15-2023, 11:17 AM
Most respectful RnF post ever.

It's a new world, folks.

Jimjam
05-15-2023, 11:29 AM
By charmable, I mean druid animal charm won't land. Infact I don't think any animal spells will land on them.

I'm interested to know what the mobs' type was before it got set to animal... were they dragons?! should Pogos work on them in era?!

Ooloo
05-15-2023, 11:42 AM
I dunno but since this is r&f FUCK people who don't know how to pull the big island, or who slack and don't keep their four raptors down so the roamers pop and start roaming and fuck up the person quadding the other side.

There are 8 spawns on the big beach, two of which roam and both roamers spawn on the east side of the beach so they're easy to keep separated if you dont suck!

Ooloo
05-15-2023, 11:48 AM
Also if Dinus spawns fuckin kill him don't just go look for a different raptor to pull you douche

Duik
05-15-2023, 12:27 PM
Waa, i wanna tell people how to pway and be wight everwy time.
Waa. Dinus. Learn spawns, dont make me cwy. Waa.
Also, I suck. Ooloo prolly.

Ooloo
05-15-2023, 12:28 PM
Lol you say that now wait until you try quadding raptors with one of those dickheads around, you'll see!

Duik
05-15-2023, 12:29 PM
Also, my avatar seems to have dick suck mouth.
Also Ooloo prolly.

Smoofers
05-15-2023, 01:19 PM
Typical BDA

Ooloo
05-15-2023, 03:12 PM
Also, my avatar seems to have dick suck mouth.
Also Ooloo prolly.

My av is george costanza looking appalled

Like how he would look at your assertion that it is "dick suck mouth". Frankly I find that very crass

zanderklocke
05-15-2023, 05:29 PM
I hit 60 on raptors.

https://i.imgur.com/xtHpSio.jpg

Duik
05-15-2023, 05:44 PM
Ha, one more thing. Stormy Daniels called, she wants her dick suck mouth back.
Lolocaust, crass. That was the fucking point dipshit.

Ooloo
05-15-2023, 06:04 PM
Duik confirmed sucks at killing td raptors

Duik
05-15-2023, 06:10 PM
Duik confirmed, never complains about not being able to kill raptors, or anyfing for that matter... womp!

Evia
05-16-2023, 05:26 PM
Yeah but the real travesty here is that I cannot unsee the George castanza 'dick suck mouth' avatar now.

whitebandit
05-16-2023, 09:54 PM
Yall chatting about Raptors, im more curious about all the chatter about "Horses"???

Tethler
05-17-2023, 03:03 AM
Yall chatting about Raptors, im more curious about all the chatter about "Horses"???

Patch note is from 2002 (out of era for p99). Horse mounts were in game by that time.

Patrece
05-17-2023, 03:08 AM
This has a great history of getting implemented due to something that happened on red 99

(Lol it's a good one)

Jimjam
05-17-2023, 04:38 AM

Patch note is from 2002 (out of era for p99). Horse mounts were in game by that time.

To elaborate further, on live the Raptors weren't patched into being animals until after Luclin had dropped, which means before Luclin (the period we are trying to emulate) they presumably weren't animals so couldn't be charmed by druids, feared by rangers, etc.

Duik
05-17-2023, 08:10 AM
Ooloo, any truth to the rumour George Costanza is blowing the invisible man in your avatar?
Also TD raptors are le hard.
Bahh hahaha.

Patrece
05-17-2023, 09:15 AM
The dawg gave his elf life for this

Rip

Ooloo
05-17-2023, 12:43 PM
Ooloo, any truth to the rumour George Costanza is blowing the invisible man in your avatar?
Also TD raptors are le hard.
Bahh hahaha.

I'm pimping him out. $10 per dick suck

Ooloo
05-17-2023, 12:43 PM
And no raptors aren't hard that was my point now do you want a dick suck or not

Chortles Snortles
05-17-2023, 02:22 PM
grandpa baler day drinkin
(lol)

Ratchet51
05-17-2023, 02:31 PM
grandpa baler day drinkin
(lol)

Shit I'm comin' over.

long.liam
05-20-2023, 09:29 PM
From a lore perspective, it would make more sense if druids could charm any kind of nature related creatures, including all spiders, plants, insects etc. Also, a outdoor or nature only haste and slow spells would have been cool too. If druids could haste group members, but only outdoors only or/and if they players have wolf form or bear form on that would be awesome too.

long.liam
05-20-2023, 09:35 PM
Druids should be able to charm all Non-Humanoid creatures with the Exception of undead and elemental type creatures.

magnetaress
05-20-2023, 10:00 PM
The obvious solution here is for druids to just quad or nuke the raptures(c)

Super surprised no one else has thot of this by page 3

magnetaress
05-20-2023, 10:06 PM
Also too be clear.

They are reptilian and Also where probably more intelligent and social than we would traditionally be inclined to give them credit.

So while not humanoid. Still on par and different than animals. I bet the TD raptors are more sophisticated than simple instinctualism and or pack/herd mentality.

Heck the lil anoles around here irl are all very persnickity and individualistic whilst still holding tribal bonds despite having brains the size of peas.

magnetaress
05-20-2023, 10:08 PM
P.s. I don't think druids should be able to charm reptilian mobs. Only mammals.

Ekco
05-20-2023, 10:10 PM
The obvious solution here is for druids to just quad or nuke the raptures(c)

Super surprised no one else has thot of this by page 3

only someone who has never clicked a lumi staff would consider this a valid option.

threw mine in the fuckin ocean.
https://ftw.usatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/2015/08/daly.gif

long.liam
05-20-2023, 10:27 PM
P.s. I don't think druids should be able to charm reptilian mobs. Only mammals.

1st of all, Raptors are not reptiles. They are more similar to Birds then they are to reptiles. All modern birds descended from Therapod dinosaurs like Raptors, T-rexs etc. Reptiles descended from a different order of dinosaurs. Even so, this is pointless, because druids being nature priests, it would make sense for the spells to be able to land on any kind of non-humanoid creatures. Obviously not undead or elemental types, but pretty much anything else that is not a sapient lifeform.

Patrece
05-20-2023, 10:30 PM
It was the dawg, he's gone now

Sorry if you don't know about that cleansing

magnetaress
05-20-2023, 10:34 PM
I'm arguing that the lizard birbs aren't only self aware butt also use reason aka they where smart enough to use an island near the wiz portal as a bind point aka sapient also g-d only knows what they are upto in the universe when they are not just chillin at their bind point.

long.liam
05-20-2023, 10:34 PM
It was the dawg, he's gone now

Sorry if you don't know about that cleansing

Was this a reply to me? I have no idea what you're talking about.

long.liam
05-20-2023, 10:37 PM
I'm arguing that the lizard birbs aren't only self aware butt also use reason aka they where smart enough to use an island near the wiz portal as a bind point aka sapient also g-d only knows what they are upto in the universe when they are not just chillin at their bind point.

Okay. Strange argument, but I guess I see what you're trying to convey. I'm not arguing from that classically the game should be this way, only that would make more lore sense if it were this way, but it is whatever I guess. Place sucks to xp at anyway, just kind of makes no sense that way that it is right now.

aussenseiter
05-20-2023, 10:39 PM
From a lore perspective, it would make more sense if druids could charm any kind of nature related creatures, including all spiders, plants, insects etc. Also, a outdoor or nature only haste and slow spells would have been cool too. If druids could haste group members, but only outdoors only or/and if they players have wolf form or bear form on that would be awesome too.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Beguile_Plants_Quest

magnetaress
05-20-2023, 10:50 PM
Okay. Strange argument, but I guess I see what you're trying to convey. I'm not arguing from that classically the game should be this way, only that would make more lore sense if it were this way, but it is whatever I guess. Place sucks to xp at anyway, just kind of makes no sense that way that it is right now.

It's a great place to farm spell research stuffs.

magnetaress
05-20-2023, 10:58 PM
It's a great place to farm spell research stuffs.

Like these rapturebros are fricking smart dudes they are full of high lvl research.

Butt ya I like distinction of classes and agree.

Ench should only be able to charm what they are naturally or illusioned into. There should be outdoors special druid stuff where they just rule.

There should be really high dps low hp mobs that wizards are king at fighting. Or really high ac mobs that are hard to melee. Conversly there should be mobs warriors excell at fighting like strong melee low hp/ac so warriors can leverage their mitigation.

Also the lack of spider pets is a shame.

More places like super dog said for special spells like beguile plants and defoliation designed around exping with those spells.

Insert we got 3 lackluster raid tiers and zones and veashans peak.

long.liam
05-20-2023, 11:05 PM
Like these rapturebros are fricking smart dudes they are full of high lvl research.

Butt ya I like distinction of classes and agree.

Ench should only be able to charm what they are naturally or illusioned into. There should be outdoors special druid stuff where they just rule.

There should be really high dps low hp mobs that wizards are king at fighting. Or really high ac mobs that are hard to melee. Conversly there should be mobs warriors excell at fighting like strong melee low hp/ac so warriors can leverage their mitigation.

Also the lack of spider pets is a shame.

More places like super dog said for special spells like beguile plants and defoliation designed around exping with those spells.

Insert we got 3 lackluster raid tiers and zones and veashans peak.

Lol. Yea I guess raptors are smart, but I agree with most of what you said.

magnetaress
05-20-2023, 11:09 PM
I mean... we missed out on the granularity of having a class that specializes in hunting zombies or ghosts

Or druids specializing in an animal type too... this is how I would design a game...there would be one specific type you excel at dealing with and all the lore and at least a place or two to go. Then you would want to team or at least just be average to at being at a disadvantage vs other types.

Some special areas would incentivize bringing a diverse group. They would be entirely bonus tho as the rest of the game would deliver a full spectrum of content for both the witch and witchhunters. The swordsaints or duelists and the armored warriors. Etc...

long.liam
05-20-2023, 11:35 PM
I mean... we missed out on the granularity of having a class that specializes in hunting zombies or ghosts

Or druids specializing in an animal type too... this is how I would design a game...there would be one specific type you excel at dealing with and all the lore and at least a place or two to go. Then you would want to team or at least just be average to at being at a disadvantage vs other types.

Some special areas would incentivize bringing a diverse group. They would be entirely bonus tho as the rest of the game would deliver a full spectrum of content for both the witch and witchhunters. The swordsaints or duelists and the armored warriors. Etc...

Yeah I agree. More unique class playstyles would have made the game feel so much larger. As it is right now too many classes play the same. Not as bad as WoW, but still not very diverse playing experiences.

Patrece
05-21-2023, 11:19 AM
This change was correct

How it got fast tracked in, and the circumstances were the problem :)

cd288
05-23-2023, 12:41 PM

The patch notes you pasted are from Luclin era, so that would answer your question.

As an aside, I would lol if the staff saw this patch note and reverted corpses to completely classic as a result:

"- NPC and PC corpses can now be /considered to find out how long until
they decay, and PC corpses additionally tell you how long you have to
resurrect them
- The timer for corpses is now seven days for any corpse over level
five, whether the player is on-line or off-line or any combination of
the two"