PDA

View Full Version : EQ2 is a hit! And they called it Wildfire!

Sadre Spinegnawer
04-10-2023, 04:15 PM
From the ruleset of the new TLP:

Additionally, this server will be our first attempt at cock blocking. In short, once an NPC is engaged, it will be locked to that character, group, or raid. Characters not part of the lock cannot contribute damage. Spells from outside characters will not land on the NPC. If an actively locked NPC loses aggro for a short time period, the NPC will go home, reset, then unlock.

Straight outta 2004! Called a developers tool, call it isolation, an ice down, burstification, no doubt
You still ain't the killer!
Ice cubed mob goin' home since the gang wiped, you can try, but why, respawn come in five, and it's a cool down, control the clowns, lock em down?

No way.
Yes way!

This is pure straight up eq2.

Ooloo
04-10-2023, 06:32 PM
Confirmed encounter locking literally was in EQ2 at launch since I played then, and they got rid of it within like the first month because everyone hated it

"Lets do stuff that everyone hates!" -videogame elf genius

Trexller
04-10-2023, 06:33 PM
yeah verant was nothing if they weren't shooting themselves in the foot

DeliciousHalflings
04-10-2023, 07:20 PM
Prevents killstealing, solidifies FTE in the moment...there's no drawbacks. Stop bitching.

Ooloo
04-10-2023, 07:25 PM
Yeah there's no drawbacks to the thing everyone hated so much they yanked it out of eq2 after a month lol

Sadre Spinegnawer
04-10-2023, 08:08 PM
Prevents killstealing, solidifies FTE in the moment...there's no drawbacks. Stop bitching.

Oh .... there are drawbacks.

I am personally psyched. Oh yes encounter locking is a fickle master, a fickle master indeed!

Remember: the aggro is you. Not the mob. You erase you. The mob returns to original state. Rinse repeat.

Sadre Spinegnawer
04-10-2023, 08:11 PM
Or, despawn. Or, put on its timer.

magnetaress
04-10-2023, 09:26 PM
I'm personally excited to try out hardcoded FTE. It is afterall a familiar P99 mechanic!

aussenseiter
04-10-2023, 11:55 PM
I'm personally excited to try out hardcoded FTE. It is afterall a familiar P99 mechanic!

What's the fastest casting spell? Tangling Weeds?

Or does it have to do damage like on here?

Sadre Spinegnawer
04-11-2023, 12:05 PM
What's the fastest casting spell? Tangling Weeds?

Or does it have to do damage like on here?

Yeah you and Magnetress are seeing the angle.

I haven't been on a live server in 2 years, so have forgotten live mechanics.

p99 FTE guild?

"Engaged and Locked: an everquest guild"

Someone else do it I'm to lazy.

Sadre Spinegnawer
04-11-2023, 12:08 PM
It will be interesting if you can break a room by using mem blur to dislodge and return to reset parts of a room. Because the aggro counter is on you. You erase it, the mob does this "lunkhead marching back to post" thing. And, on eq2 at least, it was non-aggroable for a second or two.

This is going to be a clusterfuck. Unless I am misunderstanding what they mean by encounter locking, this makes eq a different game, even in terms of lifestyle issues like trains and such. You never, ever have to worry about a train again.

Loadsamoney
04-11-2023, 12:50 PM
Until they give us a server that locks forever at Ykesha or LDoN, no deal.

Chortles Snortles
04-12-2023, 07:07 PM
straight outta didn’t read
(lol)

PlsNoBan
04-12-2023, 08:16 PM
Legitimately the worst idea for a TLP they've had to date. I really struggle to believe anyone that has really thought this through and understands EverQuest thinks this is a good idea. It is so clearly and obviously going to be an absolute dumpster fire.

FTE isn't even a good system on P99 and P99 has staff actively enforcing stuff like stalling rules and rules about what area(s) of the zone you can/can't be in to be eligible for FTE and whatnot. How in the fuck does anyone think its going to be any better on a TLP? With no policing? DBG clearly doesn't have (or isn't willing to dedicate) the employees needed to police server rules on that kind of level. That's literally the entire reason they threw their hands in the air and said "fuck it DPS race everything" cause they didn't have the resources and/or didn't want to police camp disputes and such. Does anyone think this isn't going to just devolve into who has the faster macro to fire some instaclick into the mob on spawn while everyone is literally standing on the spawnpoint? OR a bard with selos (can selos indoors on TLP remember) just tagging shit and kiting it indefinitely?

What's to stop someone from griefing and holding mobs hostage? Non existent GM's? I've already encountered people on TLP's doing stuff like locating the PH for Quillmane in south karana as a bard and whenever they had to go AFK they would pull the PH under the water in the river and bard mez it permanently til they returned. Without 3rd party cheats this would be next to impossible to even detect it was happening. At least on a regular TLP you have the chance to locate the mob and take it. Imagine some dbag having the ability to just perma mez something and keep it encounter locked forever? I would hope they thought of that and won't allow someone to 24/7 encounter lock a mob but I have very little faith in them thinking things through like that. I would be very comfortable making a large wager that this server either A: ditches the encounter lock mechanic before it even launches OR very shortly after. Or B: Is a total and complete shitshow and one of the worst TLP's they've ever put out.

Sadre Spinegnawer
04-18-2023, 06:14 PM
Well. This is just what we have to deal with. It's either Oakwynd, or Attica.

Points of curiosity regarding the EQ2-server.

"Q: Can members be added mid fight to the group or raid?
A: Yes. The lock is owned by an individual player."

Tremendous power is given to this individual. The power to bless. The power to spite.

"Q: If a player dies while pulling an NPC, can it be locked by someone else immediately or does it need to revert back to its spawn point?
A: If an NPC no longer has anyone on its hatelist and leaves combat, it will unlock in a short time whether it is at its spawn point or not."

Oh, "after a a short time" is it? That's some crackin' good code Jenkins. I'm putting you up for a promotion.

And zoning = dying. That "short period of time" will determine the camp locations. dotting classes will wreck it it, zone, camp of loitering newbs finish it off.

And that # of time will be known. And FTE will rule resetting mobs.

Weird server. I happened to really like eq2 because at the high end it was all open world for the first good while. FTE, but you wiped, too bad for you. People wiped. They could tune the encounters to a tee. Guilds that could assemble fast and not wipe cockblocked the server. Or sold loot rights.

It was a job, I admit it. That phone sound meant, get up or get kicked.

Solist
04-18-2023, 09:29 PM
We had this: it was called lockouts.

It was the best period of p99 raiding so far of all the rule sets.

Sadre Spinegnawer
04-19-2023, 12:21 PM
That's when I was playing. But then guilds started debating how to cop to a lower or higher tier of lockouts or some such, I seem to remember. I remember no one could agree on who gets lockouts on what.

Sadre Spinegnawer
04-19-2023, 12:41 PM
Anything other than open world + contested spawn is a bit boring. Nostalgia is fun. But god, when anyone can box a group, and those boxes = subs, and subs = money, I do not see how anything interesting happens in this genre unless some billionaire funds it and imposes non-profitable rules.

I hear there is a "Dark Everquest" server, but you get el ban-oed if you mention it, so nm.

Dollar
04-24-2023, 11:24 AM
The locked mob encounters just gave such an empty feeling to the world in eq2, it didnt take long for people to jump ship to wow. Think wow had a 5 day trial and within first few hours, we jumped ship from eq2 and never went back.

PlsNoBan
04-24-2023, 02:26 PM
The locked mob encounters just gave such an empty feeling to the world in eq2, it didnt take long for people to jump ship to wow. Think wow had a 5 day trial and within first few hours, we jumped ship from eq2 and never went back.

100% agree. Encounter lock was one of the worst things they did in EQ2 imo. Leave it to DBG to be like "Let's bring it back for a TLP!"

Buncha morans

Sadre Spinegnawer
04-24-2023, 02:40 PM

That was a tempting option. Only fun was to be in a server dominant guild. I don't mean for "sadism" reasons (but of course that was also true) but, it did require a good and tight roster, usually very few "extras," good cross-server recruiting, and (for me) open competitive no-limit bidding in guildchat.

We just rotted stuff. Sold LR stuff. And, some guilds I was in, one in particular, weekly splits were massive.

That's my only counter-point. For 3-5 years if you were in a competitive guild it was pretty fun. But that's mandatory batphone. Must maintain 80% attendance rate. If you fall bellow that your points get frozen. To avoid DKP imbalance, one a month dkp adjustment for all current 80% players. Don't save too long!

I think it worked. It just sucked to not be the freaky people.

I never even needed a phone call. I could ... sense .... the spawns.

Sadre Spinegnawer
04-28-2023, 06:00 AM
So. Two questions. On this upcoming TLP:

A: Considering it might be messed up, what single class would you pick if your aim was to do all three of these following goals, classic through cats:

Witness closely and share mightily in whatever tale of woe and/or madness that classic-cats might or might not issue upon this server.
Be able to instigate, and in general greatly worsen whatever this tale of woe and/or madness might (or might not) regularly be about.
Largely evade being suspected or found responsible.

B: And, what single class would you pick if your aim was to do all three of these following goals, classic-cats:

Same as above
Be able to halt, or in general greatly mitigate whatever this tale of woe might or might not regularly be about.
No one ever finds you responsible for anything. Half the guild thinks you're someone's alt.

magnetaress
04-29-2023, 08:14 AM
The other real cool thing about EQ2 is that you can actually play a faerie person with really pretty wings for sure. And also vampires too? Maybe.

magnetaress
04-29-2023, 08:18 AM
A. Mobk Mage or necro
B. Cleric or druid

There i answered ¹

Probably mage

And druid (today)

Insaiyan
04-29-2023, 08:38 AM
People praise these TLPs but you can buy a pay to win potion to help you level faster. Lol uhhhhh

Sadre Spinegnawer
04-29-2023, 12:11 PM
The other real cool thing about EQ2 is that you can actually play a faerie person with really pretty wings for sure. And also vampires too? Maybe.

Oh you played? I rolled on of those races too for an alt. Game was getting a weee bit boring. They removed the avatars. That is when I said goodbye. If your guild can't own every avatar on the server, for months on end, what's the point ya know?

Sadre Spinegnawer
04-29-2023, 12:16 PM
A. Mobk Mage or necro
B. Cleric or druid

There i answered ¹

Probably mage

And druid (today)

Hmm, Mage I see. Oh yes lol. Necro. But, does a Necro meet requirement 1 of the first 3? See, I mean, you can be on a raid, or in a group, and you would have the ability to cause misery and be a part of it. That's requirement 1.

I am asking folks to be diabolical ;) I AM NOT GOING TO ROLL THIS TYPE.

I hadn't considered a druid for the second role -- that of being able to negate, frustrate, or even turn the tables on, troublemakers. Cleric is too labor intensive for me. I'm retired.

Never played a druid. Yup.

Still gonna roll an enchanter call it Forgodssakenerfme

Sadre Spinegnawer
04-29-2023, 12:19 PM
Druids are evac classes correct?

Any class that can evac immediately becomes interesting.

Being mobile is likely going to be a big plus. Again, I'm operating under the assumption the server is going to be a rollicking good mistake. Creating havoc then evacing your group, sounds like a ... wait I said I was going to be good.

Sadre Spinegnawer
05-23-2023, 12:58 PM
https://i.imgur.com/61PyuC0.jpg

Lune
05-23-2023, 01:44 PM
EQ 2 still exists?

Sadre Spinegnawer
05-23-2023, 02:54 PM
They even do TLP's. So if you ever get a hankering to raid Vek's laboratory or whatever for the 1,000 time, you are in luck. I don't know if the tlp's do avatars. Which was only fun part of game. Had to be snappy.

But, tomorrow is a new eq1 tlp. and the new mechanics. Shall be a place of many ills. They are going to get the nostalgia farmers and the krono farmers extensively alpha testing the elimination of a whole layer of classic mechanics. Gonna then transfer it to all current eq1 live servers.

Addicts will inject dogshit if you tell them Alfie ate a baggie. So you know. What else is new?

EQ is like the crack house you grew up across the street from. The tenants are always shady, but they are basically maintenance dealers and as near as I can tell none of their kids enjoys torturing animals.

The krono system is frontloaded for the first clutch of expansions. You got yourself a yearly racket. Supplier, dealer, and addict. That is why every new server is like being in a motel during the 90's.
https://i.imgur.com/gCbakus.jpg

putrid_plum
05-23-2023, 04:34 PM
people play eq2?

Sadre Spinegnawer
05-23-2023, 05:10 PM
I don't want to get caught up in that topic, man. I'm trying to forget.
https://i.imgur.com/w0qMkSi.jpg

Sadre Spinegnawer
05-24-2023, 04:46 PM
In the queue bitches. This time, I win.

Sadre Spinegnawer
05-25-2023, 03:23 AM
That took long enough. Got my FSI ogre shaman ready to rock and wall. Lots of boxers getting up and running. UI has bugs need to do some stuff. No clue on gameplay yet. Took me too long getting my names. I did roll an enchanter and got it ready but I ain't playing that shit. Or at least that is what I say. It ends up I do half the time. But fuck enchanters.

This server gonna shake out and I like to play 1-10 relaxed. I'm gonna go ride in a jeep for a week.