PDA

View Full Version : Feign Death and Casting Mobs

TheDudeAbides
03-11-2010, 09:27 PM
I can't remember how FD worked in classic, but did it interrupt casting mobs?

The problem I keep running into is that you feign but a mob or two is casting. Even if I'm behind a wall out of LOS the spell hits and breaks FD. I can be literally behind 3 walls and I'll get hit with a spell breaking FD.

Working as intended? Shouldn't it interrupt casting?

Jeebus
03-11-2010, 09:29 PM
it never interrupted casting iirc

I remember casting mobs being the bane of feign death

Pheer
03-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Thats interesting since I remember it interrupting npc spellcasting.

TheDudeAbides
03-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Right

For some reason I thought I remembered it interrupting casting. The problem is you can be literally rooms away from the mob and behind multiple walls, if they "start casting" before you FD, the spell will hit you, breaking FD. This really becomes a major pain in the ass when there are multiple casting mobs or very little room to work with.

Working as intended?

Haynar
03-11-2010, 10:08 PM
FD never interrupted mobs casting.

Sorry. Nice try.

Haynar

TheDudeAbides
03-11-2010, 11:06 PM
FD never interrupted mobs casting.

Sorry. Nice try.

Haynar

Through 3 walls?

Turbo
03-12-2010, 12:22 AM
LoS should break it

FD should not

Jeebus
03-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Yes, LoS breaks casting, but FD never did (that I recall) I didn't play for like the first 2-3 months though. So maybe before my time.

TheDudeAbides
03-12-2010, 12:26 AM
Yes, LoS breaks casting, but FD never did (that I recall) I didn't play for like the first 2-3 months though. So maybe before my time.

LOS does not break casting of certain spells

I get hit constantly through 3 walls, or around corners, ect.

LazyFuj
03-12-2010, 01:03 AM
you have an argument for the LoS, I noticed some walls don't interupt spell casting.

Also, did mobs go through walls in classic? I don't remember that.

Aeolwind
03-12-2010, 02:15 AM
you have an argument for the LoS, I noticed some walls don't interupt spell casting.

Also, did mobs go through walls in classic? I don't remember that.

Some walls are not "physical" when it comes to los for mobs

And if a mob ignores pathing, it can run straight through the wall. Little history lesson. Until about 8 months ago, mobs in the emulator took the shortest path...always. Dungeons were an enormous pain. KLS developed pathing nodes and we (P1999 dev) took off with it, most of the path maps for the emulator were made by us. They've probably been improved by now in some cases, but without it, the mobs just run wherever they want.

Zarniwooop
03-12-2010, 03:04 AM
It was completely retarded in classic also. It remained that way for a very long time.

At least until Luclin. Terrible design choice.

TheDudeAbides
03-12-2010, 05:46 AM
Some walls are not "physical" when it comes to los for mobs

We're talking through actual doors here though. Actual rooms. Being 3 rooms away and getting hit with a spell.

Tallenn
03-12-2010, 11:58 AM
IIRC, they eventually did put in a fix where spells would not break FD, or mob would stop casting, but that was at least Velious, probably even later.

Ferok
03-12-2010, 12:07 PM
IIRC, they eventually did put in a fix where spells would not break FD, or mob would stop casting, but that was at least Velious, probably even later.

I think it was even after that. I can remember the Triplets in NTOV producing many-a-monk-corpse based on one of them casting and breaking feign.

NotInventedHere
03-12-2010, 12:32 PM
As to the casting through wall, wizard npcs like to cast thier targeted aoe spells, and they don't seem to need los to do it. I've been knocked out of fd plenty of times by it.

Yoite
03-12-2010, 03:58 PM
like others have said it depends on the spell the NPC is casting, if its a target AoE your pretty much screwed, since you cant LoS. best bet is to wait for it to hit you then try and FD before he gets back in LoS to cast the next spell. If its a DD you can LoS and then FD.

girth
03-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Played monk for like 4-5 years. FD never interrupted spell casting, at least up till Gates of Discord when I quit.

Lonedrahon25
03-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Just to add another positive here: FD NEVER broke casting. You always had to be vigilant when watching caster mobs casting before you FD'd.

TheDudeAbides
03-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Word

That's all I needed to know~

Pikle
03-12-2010, 11:03 PM
yeah FD never interrupted casting that I remember either and I also think a lot of deaths were caused by that, haha. As for the LoS argument, I've noticed that too, usually wizard mobs that can cast through walls and you know I think there were some LoS bugged walls/mobs on live too.