PDA

View Full Version : Not sure where to post this

zbug
03-11-2010, 06:28 AM
Dear all,

i would like to setup a private server. please dont get me wrong it wont be public, its gonna be lan based. it will be a surprise setup that i would like to do.

we are 5 of us that used to play non stop back in the days and we have not seen each other for about 6 years now. ( we all live in Kuwait) and we are all going to gather at my place soon. i would like to setup a lan EQ with 5 computers. and have them login and play together. it would mean so much to me if anyone can help me out here. i read alot online and tried a few things with no luck.

can anyone please help ? would anyone be willing to make a image with everything setup and running?

im begging you :)

thanks!

hope to hear from you !

you can email me directly if needed cptzbug@gmail.com

Thank you all !!! thank you!

Kintor
03-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Eqemulator.net is what you are looking for.

zbug
03-11-2010, 07:14 AM
thanks man, but i cant seem to figure it out :(

Klanghin
03-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Just play with them on p1999 server, isnt that more fun anyway playing not in a ghost-world?

Aeolwind
03-11-2010, 11:08 AM
PEQ has a server repack as does AXClassic. It's a self contained package that has everything you need. You can use those to setup a private lan if you so choose.

The database however, will be lacking. Both have extremely non-classic and custom elements.

Jeebus
03-11-2010, 01:10 PM
I always thought that a private EQ server set up well on a LAN would be a good "D&D" world. If you're a big nerd like me =)

GM could easily set up events like D&D sessions and your players can play through the adventures. Not a bad idea imo.

karsten
03-11-2010, 01:35 PM
yes because why play a game that takes a long time to get set up in with 300 people when you can do it with 5 in the privacy of your own home!

Aaron
03-11-2010, 01:38 PM
I always thought that a private EQ server set up well on a LAN would be a good "D&D" world. If you're a big nerd like me =)

GM could easily set up events like D&D sessions and your players can play through the adventures. Not a bad idea imo.

Not nearly as good as something like Neverwinter Nights or a similar platform though.

Scrubby McGee
03-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Honestly, with 5 people playing a group oriented game, you should give DDO a try. It's based on micropayments now, so you can try out a lot of the lower level stuff for free and buy modules/expansions if you like the game.

Jeebus
03-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Not nearly as good as something like Neverwinter Nights or a similar platform though.

Never really cared for NWN platform personally. but to each his own

Aeolwind
03-11-2010, 02:53 PM
NWN2 had one of the best story and gameplay lines of any RPG I've ever played. I put it on par with FF7 & Dragon Age. MOTB and Zahir expansions left something to be desired, but I still replay through NWN2 occasionally.

Jeebus
03-11-2010, 03:18 PM
I enjoyed FF7 and Dragon age both (even though people have a love of bashing Dragon Age).

I can't argue with the storylines in NWN, I just never cared for the platform

Lanor
03-11-2010, 07:41 PM
I enjoyed FF7 and Dragon age both (even though people have a love of bashing Dragon Age).

Nah people just like bashing Bioware because they haven't made a decent game since BG2, but everyone eats their shit up.

Clinicus
03-11-2010, 07:56 PM
MOTB and Zahir expansions left something to be desired, but I still replay through NWN2 occasionally.
:eek:

There aren't many games with better stories and writing than MoTB. Only really The Witcher has come close since imo. NWN2 OC was ok, but the first third drags on way too long. Bioware games seem to have good characters in a fairly boring story.

Aeolwind
03-12-2010, 02:30 AM
:eek:

There aren't many games with better stories and writing than MoTB. Only really The Witcher has come close since imo. NWN2 OC was ok, but the first third drags on way too long. Bioware games seem to have good characters in a fairly boring story.

My main issue with motb was how it started, and the mechanic surrounding the entity. I also didn't care for the supporting characters. I missed Neeshka, Sand & omg that dwarfs name escapes me.

While being possessed by the curse of a dead god and trying to tear down the Wall was awesome, I missed Crossroad Keep & I want a continuation of that story. The bear was terrible, One of Many was cool in concept but annoying as hell. The only redeeming character was the RWoT and she was still weak. But, Zahir blew.

thraile
03-12-2010, 03:24 AM
AEOLWIND sigh, U cut me deep right there.not remembering the dwarf.I will not forget this. :P

Wenai
03-12-2010, 08:58 AM
Nah people just like bashing Bioware because they haven't made a decent game since BG2, but everyone eats their shit up.

I loved Mass Effect because I loved the world it was based in. I have not played Mass Effect 2 however.

My opinion on Dragon Age is that is was a lazy game. I mean it was announced E3 2004 (http://pc.ign.com/articles/514/514514p1.html) and released over 5 years later. That is a pretty hefty development time from announcement to release and to me the game was just lazy. Outdated graphics (victim of the development time?), poor in-game cutscenes and just all around bug-filled (no excuse).

When my roommate finished the game he spoke to Anora who said that they would erect a statue in honor of Allistair and all the others fallen victims. Confused since he had made the deal with Morrigan, he turns around and Allistair is standing behind him. So for a game that is based on unique story and the ability to shape your own destiny, it bugs out at like the resolution of the story.

The other bug that was ridiculous (not sure if it was console only or not) was that when you killed most enemies, they would not drop loot immediately. There would be a large span of time where you would have to stand there and do nothing, waiting for the items to show up.

When you finish the game.... No awesome cutscene to finish it out. You get blocks of text on still images. Seriously. There is no real cutscenes in this game? You have it in (known) development for five years, have outdated graphics, choose to do all your in game cut-scenes via your in game engine, and you can't even set up any type of cutscene to finish the game?

Like I said. I think it is lazy, and quite a bit overrated.

The other thing that annoys me is how everyone thinks open-ended RPGs are superior. I used to be part of that crowd, but here is the reality. I don't care about doing meaningless mini-tasks which reward me with a potion. I don't enjoy the completion factor anymore. I have been playing FF XIII for the past few days, I am in Chapter 9 and it has been extremely linear. I see a lot of people complaining about that. While it means the game has like NO immediate replay value thus far, I think I might prefer the linear path much more. I don't enjoy walking in a town and talking to 40 NPCs who all have useless filler dialogue and say literally nothing important.

FF XIII has some clear short-comings thus far but I think a lot of the reviews have been a bit harsh (the sub-80 ones). I think the combat system is great, I think the story is well done, the graphics are gorgeous. Even the in-game cutscenes look pretty tight. The characters are not too bad (thus far) it just lacks choice. They spawn you in a hallway in which you literally walk straight down the path, do all the fights, go down some of the dead-ends to get some chests. They have pretty much hand-fed you everything up to this point and I think that is where some people are annoyed as it is not open-ended at all thus far.