PDA

View Full Version : GMs, we can forgive all and move on

Rager and Quitter
08-11-2022, 09:00 AM
I don't know what modus operandi is in place that allows horrible people to stick around, but I think it's time to clean house. If the GMs implemented a new policy that anyone who regularly abuses the system, or is incredibly detrimental to the server gets an IP ban, no questions asked, no appeal, we could forgive all.

The Detoxx's and his ilk of the server should be cut out like the skin cancer they are. Maybe some secretly monitored levels of donations act like the old Catholic indulgences? I can't see what else would motivate the GMs to grind their souls away babysitting 30- or 40-year-old man-children.

Arvan
08-11-2022, 09:17 AM
PNP rule 14 already exists. It would be cool if it started to be enforced though.

Danth
08-11-2022, 10:20 AM
gets an IP ban.

If only it were so simple.

A big part of the reason IP bans aren't used that often these days is that they're not particularly effective. Many users don't permanently have the same IP. A lot of regular ISPs assign IPs as-needed and they do change periodically. Second, such bans are very easily circumvented via means such as VPN. P1999 can't ban based on things like real name or credit card info because as a free service it doesn't collect such information. It's hard to get rid of someone who doesn't want to be got rid of, hence why P1999 had to resort to some in-game measures like level 5 requirements for many zones--in the past they had trouble with certain individuals making new level 1 accounts over and over and causing trouble. The level 5 cap was largely enough to defeat even those individuals' patience.

There ARE ways around this. It requires work that the P1999 staff hasn't had the time or inclination to put forth and which are no longer realistically viable for existing P1999 servers because the proverbial horse is already out of the barn. For example, some emulators use login software of their own creation that ties accounts to specific devices--lose your account, can't just create a new one. Depending on the quality of said login program, virtual machines may or may not be able t get around it. It also has side effects such as making account sharing problematic, again that horse is long since out of the barn. This type of measure would be most appropriate for a fresh server, if anyone were inclined to implement it.

Account bans are of course plenty effective and all but the worst of the trolls and troublemakers don't usually want to have to keep starting over. The existing P1999 rules already provide for account bans so at that point you're arguing with the staff about their own rule enforcement. My experience in thirty-odd years of using the 'net is that arguing with site admins is seldom a productive pursuit.

Danth

Chortles Snortles
08-11-2022, 11:26 AM
https://i.imgur.com/hZG7XMa.jpg

Bardp1999
08-11-2022, 11:54 AM
If the GMs implemented a new policy that anyone who regularly abuses the system, or is incredibly detrimental to the server gets an IP ban, no questions asked, no appeal, we could forgive all.

The above poster (not you OP) is evidence that this is not possible

https://i.imgur.com/Hxwvw5a.jpg

Chortles Snortles
08-11-2022, 12:41 PM
https://i.imgur.com/jSGlQr2.jpg

Smoofers
08-11-2022, 05:04 PM
Retinal scanners when?

Nexii
08-11-2022, 06:15 PM

A big part of the reason IP bans aren't used that often these days is that they're not particularly effective. Many users don't permanently have the same IP. A lot of regular ISPs assign IPs as-needed and they do change periodically. Second, such bans are very easily circumvented via means such as VPN. P1999 can't ban based on things like real name or credit card info because as a free service it doesn't collect such information. It's hard to get rid of someone who doesn't want to be got rid of, hence why P1999 had to resort to some in-game measures like level 5 requirements for many zones--in the past they had trouble with certain individuals making new level 1 accounts over and over and causing trouble. The level 5 cap was largely enough to defeat even those individuals' patience.

There ARE ways around this. It requires work that the P1999 staff hasn't had the time or inclination to put forth and which are no longer realistically viable for existing P1999 servers because the proverbial horse is already out of the barn. For example, some emulators use login software of their own creation that ties accounts to specific devices--lose your account, can't just create a new one. Depending on the quality of said login program, virtual machines may or may not be able t get around it. It also has side effects such as making account sharing problematic, again that horse is long since out of the barn. This type of measure would be most appropriate for a fresh server, if anyone were inclined to implement it.

Account bans are of course plenty effective and all but the worst of the trolls and troublemakers don't usually want to have to keep starting over. The existing P1999 rules already provide for account bans so at that point you're arguing with the staff about their own rule enforcement. My experience in thirty-odd years of using the 'net is that arguing with site admins is seldom a productive pursuit.

Danth

Mass banning bot accounts would collapse the house of cards. Takes about 50 bot accounts/character to be competitive these days (mages, clerics, rogues). Those accounts are the 'power base' of those that lead on P99

Staff could also enforce no account sharing more strictly. Though that would change the raid meta a lot

magnetaress
08-11-2022, 06:27 PM
*meows excitedly *

Ghost of Starman
08-11-2022, 06:45 PM
Instancing or enforced rotations would fix all of P99s problems without needing bans.

Castigate
08-11-2022, 06:55 PM
Yeah that problem of having people playing p99 isn't the one that most of us want solved

Nibblewitz
08-11-2022, 07:37 PM
Chase that windmill

Ennewi
08-11-2022, 07:39 PM
Chase that waterfall

Praxcthius
08-11-2022, 08:10 PM
Nexii said ban all bot accounts. G’luck

Bardp1999
08-11-2022, 08:17 PM
If you banned the Blue bot army the population would go from 600 to 300

Chortles Snortles
08-11-2022, 08:24 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Hxwvw5a.jpg

DeathsSilkyMist
08-11-2022, 08:35 PM
Instancing or enforced rotations would fix all of P99s problems without needing bans.

Play TLP if you want instancing. P99 Doesnt need it.

Solist
08-11-2022, 10:36 PM
P99 has never changed.

Entitled casual scum sucking shitlords who finally got a few 60’s and got pixel lust changed. The top end has never ever been different. Same people, same drive, same competitive lust, same high highs and low lows.

Just admit TAKP is where you want to be, and go play there. Buy your SOD in bazaar, go farm plane of boredom instances, stand in line for your aten necklace. You’ll enjoy it more.

Arvan
08-11-2022, 10:41 PM
P99 has never changed.

Entitled casual scum sucking shitlords who finally got a few 60’s and got pixel lust changed. The top end has never ever been different. Same people, same drive, same competitive lust, same high highs and low lows.

Just admit TAKP is where you want to be, and go play there. Buy your SOD in bazaar, go farm plane of boredom instances, stand in line for your aten necklace. You’ll enjoy it more.

Instead of that just ban the cheaters,bad faith actors, trainers, unsportsmanlike players, and mentally unstable abusers and disband their guild(s).

After that’s done p99 can be a nice play to play with a mix of friendly/sportsmanlike competition and the great draft events.

Funny what a subtle shift in perspective can achieve!

eisley
08-12-2022, 03:36 AM
Mass banning bot accounts would collapse the house of cards. Takes about 50 bot accounts/character to be competitive these days (mages, clerics, rogues). Those accounts are the 'power base' of those that lead on P99

Staff could also enforce no account sharing more strictly. Though that would change the raid meta a lot

This is actually really intriguing. Vanquish broke the coverage meta by shifting DKP acquisition to leveling guild bots rather than attending raids, and this would be a fascinating way to throw a wrench in that machine. I don't know precisely how it'd be done, but if it could, it would at least shake things up.

In a world where we have no choice but to accept the staff will never accept that rooting dragons was a mistake and go back to 2017 ruleset, we should probably focus on aiming for something like this.

loramin
08-12-2022, 11:27 AM
P99 has never changed.

We've gone from TMO monopolizing all significant content, to multiple top-end competitors on each server plus a large number of lower-tier raiding guilds, so ... I beg to differ.

Allishia
08-12-2022, 11:31 AM
We've gone from TMO monopolizing all significant content, to multiple top-end competitors on each server plus a large number of lower-tier raiding guilds, so ... I beg to differ.

Ya I think it's nice way it is now. Plenty of competition on both servers just the same casual guilds whining like usual cause they want more free stuff :p

Riot has definitely made a come back and is whooping our butts lately, keeps things interesting /nod

Chortles Snortles
08-12-2022, 12:59 PM
https://i.imgur.com/gSk1Ty8.gif

Allishia
08-12-2022, 01:56 PM
https://i.imgur.com/gSk1Ty8.gif

Lmao are you ok over there? :)

Shower_Toaster_69
08-12-2022, 02:15 PM
https://i.imgur.com/774qcs4.jpeg

eisley
08-12-2022, 06:03 PM
Ya I think it's nice way it is now. Plenty of competition on both servers just the same casual guilds whining like usual cause they want more free stuff :p

Riot has definitely made a come back and is whooping our butts lately, keeps things interesting /nod

Alli, how have you not noticed you are the only sane person in the asylum yet? Your stalwart positivity is starting to worry me. Have you ever said anything mean about anyone? Have you ever burned any bridges? If you learned anything from me, I want it to be this:

It's never too late to start!

Ripqozko
08-12-2022, 06:07 PM
Alli, how have you not noticed you are the only sane person in the asylum yet? Your stalwart positivity is starting to worry me. Have you ever said anything mean about anyone? Have you ever burned any bridges? If you learned anything from me, I want it to be this:

It's never too late to start!

She's trained me in the hole, I need justice for the travesty.

Duik
08-12-2022, 07:16 PM
Trained me in the hole.
Fucking gold.

Nuggie
08-13-2022, 02:07 AM

You are reaching way too far back in time. Do most people that raid have memories of TMO?

Ravager
08-13-2022, 07:46 AM

Danth

There are ways. It doesn't take a whole lot of information to identify someone. I read somewhere it's like 32-33 bits of information can single you out of every other person on the planet. There's gotta be 33 bits of uniqueness from one EverQuest file folder to the next except for in the cases of fresh installs. The second someone binds their hotkeys a certain way or makes a certain macro or arranges their UI to their personal liking, they've ID'd themselves. If there are certain times of day they log in or other habits that can be gleaned from game logs, that's pretty telling too.

Grapeape
08-13-2022, 03:44 PM
There are ways. It doesn't take a whole lot of information to identify someone. I read somewhere it's like 32-33 bits of information can single you out of every other person on the planet. There's gotta be 33 bits of uniqueness from one EverQuest file folder to the next except for in the cases of fresh installs. The second someone binds their hotkeys a certain way or makes a certain macro or arranges their UI to their personal liking, they've ID'd themselves. If there are certain times of day they log in or other habits that can be gleaned from game logs, that's pretty telling too.

for real. between this, biometrics, cctv and 5g it should be no problem. also if theyve had the jab you could just use the RFID code they give off now.

Ravager
08-13-2022, 08:06 PM
for real. between this, biometrics, cctv and 5g it should be no problem. also if theyve had the jab you could just use the RFID code they give off now.

I know, right? This day and age, tinfoil is no longer enough.

Patrece
08-18-2022, 01:27 PM

You'd be paying for a box and sub on all these bots on live

Here you can go crazy, this is not the classic experience imo

Nibblewitz
08-18-2022, 02:48 PM
If you want classic, get a lobotomy.

MaCtastic
08-18-2022, 05:00 PM
You are reaching way too far back in time. Do most people that raid have memories of TMO?

I remember them giving up on blue and trying to play on red.

MaCtastic
08-18-2022, 05:06 PM

32 bits ain’t a whole lot of information, but it is enough to make an IPv4 address. That alone means nothing, it’s all the extra data (more bits) correlated that starts to snitch on you.

Valakut
08-18-2022, 08:41 PM

so would full time jobs or girlfriends

Ravager
08-18-2022, 09:22 PM
32 bits ain’t a whole lot of information, but it is enough to make an IPv4 address. That alone means nothing, it’s all the extra data (more bits) correlated that starts to snitch on you.

You are correct. 32 bits of unique data to be more precise. There's way more than that in a person's gameplay patterns, nevermind UI configurations, key bindings and macros. A clean install on a fresh IP address and new account is the only way to log on truly anonymously, but staying anonymous would be impossible given entropy and human nature. Hell, RnF detectives usually have little trouble identifying authors of anon posts on these forums when they put their minds to it.

PlsNoBan
08-19-2022, 12:23 PM
I don't know what modus operandi is in place that allows horrible people to stick around, but I think it's time to clean house. If the GMs implemented a new policy that anyone who regularly abuses the system, or is incredibly detrimental to the server gets an IP ban, no questions asked, no appeal, we could forgive all.

The Detoxx's and his ilk of the server should be cut out like the skin cancer they are. Maybe some secretly monitored levels of donations act like the old Catholic indulgences? I can't see what else would motivate the GMs to grind their souls away babysitting 30- or 40-year-old man-children.

I bet Rogean is reading this right now going "Ya know... Rager and Quitter is right we really need to change how we've managed this server for the last decade+"

https://i.imgur.com/BBvHaQJ.jpg

Arvan
08-19-2022, 10:03 PM
I bet Rogean is reading this right now going "Ya know... Rager and Quitter is right we really need to change how we've managed this server for the last decade+"

https://i.imgur.com/BBvHaQJ.jpg

I saw somewhere calling his work gets things done quick maybe try that

Praxcthius
08-19-2022, 10:29 PM
Are you egging them on to do bad things Arvan?

Klazdaxthun

Arvan
08-19-2022, 11:56 PM
Are you egging them on to do bad things Arvan?

Klazdaxthun

Nah just observing