PDA

View Full Version : Is there any RP community on these servers?

SliMesi
07-20-2022, 09:18 AM
Pretty much subject. It's not a necessity for me and I'm aware it's not the intent behind the servers, but I figured it'd be foolish to not even at least ask if there was even small sub-groups/communities. I haven't played EQ since LDoN and I randomly decided to give P99 a shot and here I am.

Fammaden
07-20-2022, 02:08 PM
No.

loramin
07-20-2022, 02:34 PM
No.

Basically this, but it's worth noting that some individuals do RP, and there have been minor RP-themed guilds over the years (mainly on Blue IIRC).

Mazoku
07-20-2022, 02:53 PM
Sadly no, you will just find random people who roleplay. Basically your best bet is to just flesh out a character and then stick with it until everyone accepts that's how you play. Now that doesn't give a license to harass people but you can compliment others in a flattering way and still have it be roleplay and appropriate.

Jibartik
07-20-2022, 07:08 PM
Offtopic.

Saaxir Asimatenya
07-20-2022, 07:23 PM
There used to be an Erudite roleplay guild.

VesperVapes
07-20-2022, 07:41 PM
Sadly no, you will just find random people who roleplay. Basically your best bet is to just flesh out a character and then stick with it until everyone accepts that's how you play. Now that doesn't give a license to harass people but you can compliment others in a flattering way and still have it be roleplay and appropriate.

ive only ever seen trolls and ogres roleplaying, and once a human druid

Arakash
07-20-2022, 10:57 PM
I've mostly played followers of Bertoxxulous. A couple of times I've encountered some pretty odd yet, I suppose, roleplayish stuff. Mostly in the realm of a pain is pleasure sort of discussion. I never expected it. I just liked Bertoxxulous because of the whole idea of a schnabel von rom sort of thing. And since I never read nor watched 37 shades of grey (gray?) I sat there for a moment, blinked and gated out each time. Now I follow Tunare and I wrap myself in the vulva of life.

Fammaden
07-21-2022, 01:44 PM
ive only ever seen trolls and ogres roleplaying, and once a human druid

Most of the so called roleplaying the troll/ogre players tend to do amounts to baby talk/doggo speak shit too. Its like some least common denominator uncreative crap, misspell a few words and force bad grammar and suddenly you're "roleplaying". The NPC's for those races in game have far better flavor text, but the average player just goes "me eat gnome" and shit, with zero actual character motivation or development.

Tethler
07-21-2022, 10:49 PM
Thankfully, no.

All it ever is, is fat races talking like they're 3, or dwarves pounding back short beers and drunk fighting. Not really missing much.

Swish
07-22-2022, 09:20 AM

Proof that roleplaying isn't against the rules but highly discouraged as the guild was forcibly removed.

https://i.imgur.com/ioidFQa.gif

Videri
07-22-2022, 02:20 PM
Proof that roleplaying isn't against the rules but highly discouraged as the guild was forcibly removed.

https://i.imgur.com/ioidFQa.gif

Yeah. <Dark Men of Odus> was disbanded because they were roleplaying too much. Not because they were naming characters Basketball or anything like that. Not because they let Ramal/Agatha remain in the guild despite his constant edgelord behavior. And not because they were led by Nirgon. He's completely sane. It's the roleplaying they just couldn't permit any longer.

Ok.

Chortles Snortles
07-22-2022, 06:02 PM
https://i.imgur.com/vYQvFLY.jpg

Bardp1999
07-22-2022, 06:23 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Ja9rjRg.png

Chortles Snortles
07-22-2022, 06:30 PM
https://i.imgur.com/CHOz4jw.jpg

Bardp1999
07-22-2022, 06:35 PM
https://i.imgur.com/YCZCEMu.gif

Chortles Snortles
07-22-2022, 07:53 PM
https://i.imgur.com/7cLy3T7.png

cd288
07-22-2022, 09:04 PM
Yeah. <Dark Men of Odus> was disbanded because they were roleplaying too much. Not because they were naming characters Basketball or anything like that. Not because they let Ramal/Agatha remain in the guild despite his constant edgelord behavior. And not because they were led by Nirgon. He's completely sane. It's the roleplaying they just couldn't permit any longer.

Ok.

This from the guild leader who when videos were posted of two castle members boxing and afk camping with pet said “I asked them and they said they weren’t so that means they weren’t”

And you’re judging other people? Lmao

Jibartik
07-22-2022, 09:20 PM
Dark men of odus is like a metaphore for how everyone thinks they are doing something cool and normal and building a society together, but as most people are dumb as fish they unknowingly have been manipulated by a few secretive people who are laughing at them from the top for making everyone walk around like Justine Tuerdo at a costume party.

Ivory
07-23-2022, 06:03 AM
Pretty much subject. It's not a necessity for me and I'm aware it's not the intent behind the servers, but I figured it'd be foolish to not even at least ask if there was even small sub-groups/communities. I haven't played EQ since LDoN and I randomly decided to give P99 a shot and here I am.

Gnome RP is best RP on server. Be gnome, eat muffins, adventure.

loramin
07-23-2022, 11:23 AM
This from the guild leader who when videos were posted of two castle members boxing and afk camping with pet said “I asked them and they said they weren’t so that means they weren’t”

Yeah, a whole guild that' pretends to "roleplay" to act racist vs. a guild leader who (stupidly) trusts his members and a couple bad egg members: those two things are completely equivalent :rolleyes:

Tunabros
07-24-2022, 02:37 AM
No.

cd288
07-24-2022, 07:35 PM
Yeah, a whole guild that' pretends to "roleplay" to act racist vs. a guild leader who (stupidly) trusts his members and a couple bad egg members: those two things are completely equivalent :rolleyes:

So did you think the halfling only guild on green was racist?

There were also erudite only guilds on the RP server(s) back in the day. Are they racist? Are the devs racist for making erudites a separate race entirely?

Jimjam
07-25-2022, 06:51 AM

Green server has Ancient Blood, which is an iksar only guild featuring some role play elements.

Generally most role play done on the server is very light - just a vaneer to add a bit of fun to things rather than anything in depth.

Iksars will occasionally hiss at the zone in shout, stout halfling warriors are likely to pass around a few lagers and snacks, gnome are 95% sociopaths. That kinda stuff.

The pace of the game doesn't really lend it self well to any roleplay beyond "my character is a genocidal maniac killing hundreds and thousands of the same few creatures over and over again, gaining power slowly but doesn't develop as a character".

tldr people will do characterful things, but generally play out of character.

Toxigen
07-25-2022, 03:56 PM

Tunabros
07-25-2022, 08:58 PM
shut up toxigen

you racist piece of shit

Toxigen
07-26-2022, 12:26 PM
i take off my robe and wizard hat

cd288
07-26-2022, 01:33 PM
i take off my robe and wizard hat

Every time I think I've seen the most toxic member of this server, someone like you comes along and makes it worse

Jibartik
07-26-2022, 01:56 PM
CD you and toxi are on the same side ITT

Toxigen
07-26-2022, 02:55 PM
Every time I think I've seen the most toxic member of this server, someone like you comes along and makes it worse

I steal your soul and cast Lightning Lvl. 1,000,000 Your body explodes into a fine bloody mist, because you are only a Lvl. 2 Druid.

DallasNChains
07-26-2022, 06:29 PM
Pretty much everything my characters '/say' is "in character".

That being said, though... the problems with roleplaying on EverQuest? Sooner or later, you will find yourself in situations where certain player interactions would be questionable from an immersive (roleplaying) standpoint. And the hardlined religion and good/evil race thing is often the breaks. It begs the question of how much of that should be reflected in the roleplaying interactions themselves. I mean, a tunarian wood elf and an iksar really shouldn't be getting along, right? And unless it's a bizarre 'enemy-of-my-enemy' situation, such duos really shouldn't ever be grouping together from a roleplaying standpoint. Should they?

Then there is also the question of what if the hostile race mismatch is not what it seems? What if that player has worked hard on their faction? Player reputation doesn't always speak for itself for other players. Some might argue that it create interesting conversations, but I would say it would get old having to explain to every passersby that you are a just a big dumb Troll version of Drizzt Do'Urden.

I still roleplay but you'll find that most people that RP keep it light for these sorts of reasons. These are some of the challenges that I find with even light roleplaying on P99. Along with much of the 'zerg'/'go-guy' slice of the community not really being interested in those kinds of interactions at all when there is exp and loot to be got.

Videri
07-26-2022, 09:19 PM

Dude. The "evidence" was a 30-second video of a mage pet killing a mob. They were innocent until proven guilty. And they were reported to GMs, so it's out of my hands. Just stop.

Cen
07-26-2022, 11:26 PM
I will say, one of my best green memories was being helped by basketball on multiple occasions. He was the only Dark men member I ever actually saw in game, and he was super friendly.

I also remember Videri so well too :D

cd288
07-27-2022, 12:38 AM
I will say, one of my best green memories was being helped by basketball on multiple occasions. He was the only Dark men member I ever actually saw in game, and he was super friendly.

I also remember Videri so well too :D

Yeah tbh I never had anything but positive interactions with them in game. Even getting killed once running through the qeynos arena was pretty hilarious

Ooloo
07-30-2022, 09:40 AM
Was dark men of odus like actually, actively racist? Or was their guild maybe a conscious attempt to tease out the inner hall monitor in other people? Honest question.

Either way I can see the gm's nuking them cause it's just too much of a headache to deal with 8 layers of internet irony when a complaint of racism comes up, regardless of intent.

cd288
07-30-2022, 10:42 AM
Was dark men of odus like actually, actively racist? Or was their guild maybe a conscious attempt to tease out the inner hall monitor in other people? Honest question.

Either way I can see the gm's nuking them cause it's just too much of a headache to deal with 8 layers of internet irony when a complaint of racism comes up, regardless of intent.

I thought the GMs disbanded them because nirgon like threw a fit over something and deleted some stuff in the UN

Zeboim
07-30-2022, 07:29 PM

On a scale of Not Racist to KKK, I would rate it 'I sure love Fried Chicken and Watermelon, no particularly reason'.

There were some fine people, but you could definitely tell it was a bunch of painfully white internet nerds.

Toxigen
07-31-2022, 07:34 AM

No, they were never actually racist. Its just SJW cancel culture bullshit.

Jimjam
07-31-2022, 08:11 AM
On a scale of Not Racist to KKK, I would rate it 'I sure love Fried Chicken and Watermelon, no particularly reason'.

There were some fine people, but you could definitely tell it was a bunch of painfully white internet nerds.

I feel as a foreigner i’m missing out on a cultural touch point here… everyone loves fried chicken and watermelon. Don’t you yank red necks like these things? Like its. A stereotype that whiteys don’t eat enough fruit or white meat?

loramin
07-31-2022, 12:06 PM
I feel as a foreigner i’m missing out on a cultural touch point here… everyone loves fried chicken and watermelon. Don’t you yank red necks like these things? Like its. A stereotype that whiteys don’t eat enough fruit or white meat?

Stereotypes generally are for minorities: the majority culture usually only has few/lame stereotypes if any (eg. white men can't jump) ... because they are the dominant culture (ie. the ones making up the stereotypes about those other "weird" people). Minorities do make up stereotypes too (like "white men can't jump"), but they don't usually have the cultural power to make them into widespread stereotypes.

So yes, "yank red necks" ... and plenty of non-red-neck yanks also ... like watermelon and fried chicken. Personally, I can't stand watermelon, but my wife loves it, and we both <3 fried chicken ... but we're both white.

Jimjam
07-31-2022, 12:36 PM
Thank you for that touch stone.

On the subject of foods: Am I gonna be in trouble for RPing my lizard likes eating bugs?

I understand the iksar has some asian inspiration, and some asian cuisine uses ingredients frowned upon by western cultures. Is this racist for me to play up? Or does the fact there are a lot of earthworm/beetle based street foods already in game okay this?

Jibartik
07-31-2022, 01:00 PM
Is touch stone what cavemen zoomers said to other cavemen that spent too much time outside of caves?

Jimjam
07-31-2022, 01:40 PM
Idk i fought it was analogous to the rosetta stone? I’m pretty uncultured so i probably just pulled the wrong phrase out my brains.

Zeboim
07-31-2022, 01:50 PM

Everyone loves watermelon and fried chicken, but historically (Jim Crow, post Reconstruction era etc) and even now in less... informed... parts of the country, they are considered major staples of an African American diet. This is because post-emancipation African Americans in the South were typically very, very poor, and watermelon is an extremely easy crop to grow in the South while also being one of the more dessert like foods available to poor people. Chickens are well... Chickens, anyone can keep a few Chickens easily. Fried Chicken was one of the high points of the week. Hence it has persisted as a racial stereotype, even if it is one of the more harmless ones. That's why you also see many, many assorted memes about Fried Chicken restaurants.

So yeah, my experience with DMO was less KKK racist or anything even particularly offensive and more just... the subtext racism of awkward white guy nerds who thought they were clever.

Jibartik
07-31-2022, 01:52 PM
Idk i fought it was analogous to the rosetta stone? I’m pretty uncultured so i probably just pulled the wrong phrase out my brains.

It just reminded me of touch grass :o

Jimjam
07-31-2022, 04:22 PM
Everyone loves watermelon and fried chicken, but historically (Jim Crow, post Reconstruction era etc) and even now in less... informed... parts of the country, they are considered major staples of an African American diet. This is because post-emancipation African Americans in the South were typically very, very poor, and watermelon is an extremely easy crop to grow in the South while also being one of the more dessert like foods available to poor people. Chickens are well... Chickens, anyone can keep a few Chickens easily. Fried Chicken was one of the high points of the week. Hence it has persisted as a racial stereotype, even if it is one of the more harmless ones. That's why you also see many, many assorted memes about Fried Chicken restaurants.

So yeah, my experience with DMO was less KKK racist or anything even particularly offensive and more just... the subtext racism of awkward white guy nerds who thought they were clever.
Ah thank you for explaining the water melon thing. That fruit is expensive in my ends! I would have never imagined it implied poverty.

EDIT: obviously where i’m from we don’t learn much american history as it’s not too relevant/ we have plenty of our own / world history to study.

We did learn about depression era america though - was the ‘chicken for every pot’ meant to appeal to aa voters cos chicken or was it an implied racism as the chicken was implied to be for boil/stew not frying?
It just reminded me of touch grass :o ah haha yes i get it now, thank you for explaining ‘:D

Jibartik
07-31-2022, 04:58 PM
Ah thank you for explaining the water melon thing. That fruit is expensive in my ends! I would have never imagined it implied poverty.

EDIT: obviously where i’m from we don’t learn much american history as it’s not too relevant/ we have plenty of our own / world history to study.

We did learn about depression era america though - was the ‘chicken for every pot’ meant to appeal to aa voters cos chicken or was it an implied racism as the chicken was implied to be for boil/stew not frying?
ah haha yes i get it now, thank you for explaining ‘:D

There's always a punchline hidden somewhere in every one of 18,000 of my posts :o

Zeboim
07-31-2022, 07:19 PM

More just that you could be sure to have one every Sunday after church for a fancy meal. It was often a communal event and definitely not a guaranteed event every week. After all, a lot of the times the chicken is more valuable for eggs than it is meat. It's not as if only African Americans ate and raised chickens, it was just a stereotype. You could have applied the same logic like Loramin did to even poor whites, but the racist meme of it has persisted mostly referring to African Americans in the South. Also, the quote has some interesting history but it isn't really worth getting into on Elf forums if you wanna check that out for whatever reason. It's not so much a Hoover quote as a Henry the Great quote.

Which is a long way to say 'casual racism but obfuscated enough to not raise most flags' which imo describes DMO pretty well.

Ooloo
08-02-2022, 04:21 PM
Which is a long way to say 'casual racism but obfuscated enough to not raise most flags' which imo describes DMO pretty well.

I really don't think the intent of that guild was "hee hee let's be naughty racists on the dl cause irl we hate black people!". My guess is that it was more of an experiment to see how neurotic and primed for outrage the social environment is.

Or not, I honestly don't know, but whenever I see people accusing them of being a bunch of terrible racists I can't help but feel like some kind of bait is being taken.

Zeboim
08-02-2022, 07:52 PM
I really don't think the intent of that guild was "hee hee let's be naughty racists on the dl cause irl we hate black people!". My guess is that it was more of an experiment to see how neurotic and primed for outrage the social environment is.

Or not, I honestly don't know, but whenever I see people accusing them of being a bunch of terrible racists I can't help but feel like some kind of bait is being taken.

Thing is, I don't think it was that big of a deal? From what I've heard they got canned because Nirgon is Nirgon. It was more of an instance of 'te-he, wouldn't it be funny if?'.

cd288
08-04-2022, 11:36 AM

I mean I disagree with this. I never saw any racist statements made by anyone in DMO. And using Ramal's name as an example I don't think really makes sense; even if I were to go name a black character in a game "Lamar Odom" I don't think that's racist in the same way naming a white character "Tom Brady" would be.

Personally, I think they chose Erudites more because the general lore around the Erudites allowed them to roleplay as superior to everyone else because the players IRL believe they are better than other members of the community. That's the real reason behind choosing Erudites; Erudites are snobbish and look down upon everyone else.

Toxigen
08-04-2022, 03:06 PM
sjw cancel culture be damned

Jibartik
08-04-2022, 03:20 PM
Personally, I think they chose Erudites more because the general lore around the Erudites allowed them to roleplay

lol nirgon created that guild

Toxigen
08-04-2022, 04:22 PM
a good chunk of people on p99:
https://i.imgur.com/6qKCoQT.png

Zeboim
08-04-2022, 04:23 PM
Not really. Even if people didn't like the guild's joke, in the end it was the Guild itself that earned the smackdown for unrelated things.

Raj
08-05-2022, 07:54 AM

Yes, create an erudite and join <Yael Graduates> referenced in the Rants and Flames forum if you want to roleplay as an Erudite. Otherwise, send roleplaying messages to almost anyone in that guild and Im sure they will roleplay along with you (as long as you are anything but completely terrible at it.) :cool:

cd288
08-05-2022, 01:16 PM
lol nirgon created that guild

So one person now means the entire guild is X Y and Z?

If that’s the case then every single member of Vanquish is a terrible toxic member of the server. Which isn’t the case

Jibartik
08-05-2022, 01:22 PM
his whole joke was to make non racist people join a racist guild unknowingly you're eating it up lol

by saying it was because they were smart he could get everyone to run around the server terrorizing camps and being thuggish lol

it was an amazing work of art like obey level on p99 IMO

cd288
08-06-2022, 01:57 AM
his whole joke was to make non racist people join a racist guild unknowingly you're eating it up lol

by saying it was because they were smart he could get everyone to run around the server terrorizing camps and being thuggish lol

it was an amazing work of art like obey level on p99 IMO

Except there was never any instance of any sort of racist comments made by DMO ever. Whether in game, on the forums, or on discord. But oh surely it’s just some big grand conspiracy theory (like it always is with you) to get people to join a racist guild unknowingly. Oh and yeah these huge terrible racists just, you know, only never said any racist thing for 2 years…yeah they’re just hiding their extreme racism to prank people into joining a guild…right…

Outside of competitive raid tier content I never had any negative experiences with any member of DMO. In fact, the vast majority of my experiences in game with them were positive, which is pretty rare for most guilds on P99 (unfortunately)

loramin
08-06-2022, 11:36 AM
Except there was never any instance of any sort of racist comments made by DMO ever. Whether in game, on the forums, or on discord.

The guild Dark Men of Odus has been disbanded.

The leadership continues to cause issues among players in game, on the forums & within the Green UN channel. They have a long history of trolling, inciting arguments and racism. Each individual action has been handled accordingly but this is a pattern of behavior can no longer be ignored.

cd288
08-06-2022, 12:50 PM
So if I’m wrong then post a screenshot of a member in DMO saying something racist. I feel like people always say they are but I can’t remember anyone posting a screenshot of a message from a member of DMO making racist comments

loramin
08-06-2022, 03:33 PM
So if I’m wrong then post a screenshot of a member in DMO saying something racist. I feel like people always say they are but I can’t remember anyone posting a screenshot of a message from a member of DMO making racist comments

I'm sure GM Menden will get right on that :rolleyes:

(But until he does, I'm good with taking his word.)

cd288
08-07-2022, 01:26 AM
I'm sure GM Menden will get right on that :rolleyes:

(But until he does, I'm good with taking his word.)

So put a different way you don’t have any evidence to display. Got it. Could’ve just said that multiple posts ago and saved us all some time as per usual

Jibartik
08-07-2022, 03:05 AM
I told you nirgons whole plan was to make a guild where regular non racist people would be walking around taking part in his gigantic racist magnum opus.

https://i.imgur.com/Mcpo5Ss.gif