PDA

View Full Version : Let's just try it out for a limited time and see what happens

Rager and Quitter
05-08-2022, 08:47 PM
Due to the fact no one really gives a shit about blue anymore, I say we try zone instancing for like 3 months and see what kind of impact it has on the overall health of the player base/raid scene/normies wanting to play too. All kinds of strange fuckery has happened on blue through the years, it's all beta and shit, so let's give it a go.

It will help the autists chill out and maybe get the help they need instead of self-medicating by reeeeee'ing up /petition constantly. If people want to do the classic thing, then they can go to Green and see who has better scripts or RMT or whatever.

Chortles Snortles
05-08-2022, 09:07 PM
sorry you didn't get raid
(lol)

starkind
05-08-2022, 09:20 PM
@op merge blue to red and green. Instance that server.

Launch red 2.0

Bardp1999
05-08-2022, 09:59 PM
This is the least likely of all non-classic suggestions. OP is a maggot

Gustoo
05-08-2022, 10:36 PM
Its true that I would expect ten different red 99 iterations before instancing is considered.

Yeah it would make everything easier, but it isnt EQ

A Knight
05-08-2022, 10:53 PM
I think instances could work on EQ Pvp. But only if people are distracted by the awesomeness of building, one's own pvp town/fortress. Sure, selling out to instances is a little cheap.

We all want to keep it real world only, but if a little selling out is made, then the huge plus of a buildable town, in any location you want, would be amazing. (Maybe not any location.) I don't know why more have not tried the idea of a buildable town in an Mmorpg. I'm a bit behind in modern games, maybe they have tried. Was it on a legit, full of content and culture world like EQ?

Giant towns. Everyone rushing to farm resources, and train up guards. Then we get mercs, without selling so far out, where they are required.

Are you going to go risky, building your town closest to Unrest? Or take the calm and slow approach somewhere in gfay?

Nibblewitz
05-09-2022, 12:08 PM
I think a lot of the other servers already have instances content. Try it out and see what it’s like.

eisley
05-09-2022, 12:22 PM
To be honest, I'm getting demoralized enough that I think Blue is on pace to die pretty soon. I was talking to Franswa earlier and he summed things up pretty well.

It's just not a game that works without rules
The game doesn't work well in a competitive setting
GMs don't know how to make rules to fix it
The rules they do make, they don't enforce

Community morale has decayed to the point its like comically hostile. Instancing would alleviate that, at the very least.

But it would also take a lot of work. I think therein lies your answer.

starkind
05-09-2022, 12:49 PM
TLP is OK for nostalgia I wish they used the old zones tho. I think it's just really hard and buggy to switch the zones back and forth every server. Or maybe there's like a shared database.

That said most of the newer zones are pretty OK. Oasis is great actually. And TLP is smooth.

PlsNoBan
05-09-2022, 02:07 PM

This is a pretty good summary in my experience. Some people will ree til they're blue in the face if you say it but EQ wasn't meant to be a competitive game in the way that P99 endgame has become. Lack of instances in classic was more of a technical limitation than a feature. New content (expansions) also came out within a year or less. Nobody was forced to share the same content with an entire 1000+ pop extremely topheavy server for years and years and years. None of this is intended or makes sense anymore. It's not really a shock that it isn't working very well.

Nibblewitz
05-09-2022, 02:52 PM
Classically, GMs we’re not in the business of making rules. The game mechanics and agreements between guilds would form the boundaries of play.

Naethyn
05-09-2022, 03:03 PM
"Improvements" that require software changes have the least chance of implementation.

Croco
05-09-2022, 03:50 PM
Classically, GMs we’re not in the business of making rules. The game mechanics and agreements between guilds would form the boundaries of play.

A LOT of servers had gm enforced rotations or gm's moderating the raid scene.

starkind
05-09-2022, 04:27 PM
A LOT of servers had gm enforced rotations or gm's moderating the raid scene.

Sirken!

-----

Aside (implying nothing about p99) some live GMs where the first EQ kingpins!

So it would be only natural if p99 GMs regulated the raid scene and even had favorites. That's part of the EQ meta. On pvp 2.

Chortles Snortles
05-09-2022, 04:30 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Nw39Kcd.gif

starkind
05-09-2022, 05:08 PM
https://i.imgur.com/L9PQVGF.jpeg

DMN
05-09-2022, 05:11 PM
Let's not. Say we did. Then all agree it was a terrible idea.

Fammaden
05-09-2022, 05:58 PM
My server cluster's GM would show up to a dispute and tell raid leaders to /random for first crack at the mob then despawn the fucking thing if anyone gave her shit.

Of course we did "first in force" a sort of gentleman's agreement that the guild with a reasonable kill force there first could have the first engage on the mob. And NToV/city leaders/sleepers were rotated with the top two guilds until one of them decided to wake on the eve of Luclin.

P99 with full raids parked at every raid boss and sub 30 seconds to engage and unpaid volunteer staff and forever timelocked with no future expansions, is a different animal and all. But yeah, GM's would absolutely step in and tell you to fuck off if raid guilds were acting like assholes in my experience.

starkind
05-09-2022, 06:09 PM
My server cluster's GM would show up to a dispute and tell raid leaders to /random for first crack at the mob then despawn the fucking thing if anyone gave her shit.

Of course we did "first in force" a sort of gentleman's agreement that the guild with a reasonable kill force there first could have the first engage on the mob. And NToV/city leaders/sleepers were rotated with the top two guilds until one of them decided to wake on the eve of Luclin.

P99 with full raids parked at every raid boss and sub 30 seconds to engage and unpaid volunteer staff and forever timelocked with no future expansions, is a different animal and all. But yeah, GM's would absolutely step in and tell you to fuck off if raid guilds were acting like assholes in my experience.

If the gms did the/random /despawn thing ppl would settle down.

Nibblewitz
05-09-2022, 06:57 PM
So some GMs had a hands-off approach and some made their own rules. All of them received a paycheck for their time.

Chortles Snortles
05-09-2022, 07:21 PM
https://i.imgur.com/EmXjunP.jpg

starkind
05-09-2022, 10:41 PM
Fee for modeling.

Ravager
05-10-2022, 06:07 PM
Classic had instances in the form of more than two servers with different rulesets. The classic solution would be better.

Kohedron
05-12-2022, 02:40 PM
the pimply fat snaggletooths will pretend to hate it, but in actuality it's needed because the pimply fat snaggletooths had their chance and failed.

Gustoo
05-12-2022, 05:00 PM
When p99 shuts down, everyone here is gunna wonder why they treated the only people in the world with the same mental disability as them (old eq addiction) like shit.

You’ve got ten years to get BIS it will be okay.

Wtb new server paying plat

Ratchet51
05-12-2022, 05:04 PM
When p99 shuts down, everyone here is gunna wonder why they treated the only people in the world with the same mental disability as them (old eq addiction) like shit.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm friends with everyone.

Mblake1981
05-12-2022, 07:52 PM

Not me, my mind is clear unlike your pigs wallowing in your own filth. Disgusting creatures but I can't be all that upset, P99 was post-social media/smart phone internet. I know why the players were nasty. This isn't Anglefire, Geocities etc

Twochain
05-13-2022, 11:56 AM
To be honest, I'm getting demoralized enough that I think Blue is on pace to die pretty soon. I was talking to Franswa earlier and he summed things up pretty well.

Community morale has decayed to the point its like comically hostile. Instancing would alleviate that, at the very least.

But it would also take a lot of work. I think therein lies your answer.

Blue competition (Mostly- Riot had a free server for a year) survived Green release + Classic WoW coming out within 3 months of each other. If there was a killing blow, it would have been that. Population has recovered steadily since then.

Instances are fucking retarded. It turns this game extremely boring. Just unroot the dragons. unrooted dragons in ToV makes ToV the best raid zone to ever exist.

Twochain
05-13-2022, 11:57 AM
I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm friends with everyone.

STFU bitch

unsunghero
05-13-2022, 12:19 PM
Not me, my mind is clear unlike your pigs wallowing in your own filth. Disgusting creatures but I can't be all that upset, P99 was post-social media/smart phone internet. I know why the players were nasty. This isn't Anglefire, Geocities etc

Yeah people are just as nasty on social media. I had to purge every non-family lib off my social media after one threatened to try to get me fired from my job and knew where I worked

Black and white, good vs evil thinking…

starkind
05-13-2022, 12:43 PM
the amount of time ppl put into eq they can make their own games with BIS gm mode

Naethyn
05-13-2022, 02:13 PM
Games way harder to make.

Mblake1981
05-13-2022, 10:27 PM
the amount of time ppl put into eq they can make their own games with BIS gm mode

the amount of time ppl put into bad takes on message boards could be put towards shower time, to wash the bugs off.

SantagarBrax
05-17-2022, 08:47 AM
No, fuck off with instancing to another server. That's not eq and a major component of why the magic died.

If you want to play without interactions with other players, then you don't want to play everquest. You're playing the wrong game.

PlsNoBan
05-17-2022, 10:21 AM
No, fuck off with instancing to another server. That's not eq and a major component of why the magic died.

If you want to play without interactions with other players, then you don't want to play everquest. You're playing the wrong game.

Yea ur right instancing is an extremely unpopular mechanic that really kills MMORPG's. Shame WoW had instancing it could've been a smash hit if they just took it out. EQ subscriptions peaked at 550k near the end of 2004. We're talking OoW era. Long after instancing was added. Some argue (rightfully imo) that EQ's numbers only really fell off because of WoW which was based on instances from the ground up.

You can dislike them all you want but every metric disagrees with you. It's a small minority of people that have an issue with them.

Rager and Quitter
05-17-2022, 12:16 PM
It's a small minority of people that have an issue with them.

The reason they hate instancing is because these lifeless basement dwellers play EQ 12-16 hours per day. It's all they have. And when 100+ people can stare at a wall for 7 hours, and then race to kill a pixelated mob in 27 seconds, it makes them feel better than the other people who wanted to kill it. They actually brag about it. They have nothing else in their shamefully unproductive lives outside of this private emulated server in some far off corner of the internet. If they gave that up that embarrassingly false sense of superiority, what else is there?

lullzy
05-18-2022, 12:39 PM
eq2 varsoon server, where group comp and mechanics matter

hardx
05-18-2022, 03:03 PM
The reason they hate instancing is because these lifeless basement dwellers play EQ 12-16 hours per day. It's all they have. And when 100+ people can stare at a wall for 7 hours, and then race to kill a pixelated mob in 27 seconds, it makes them feel better than the other people who wanted to kill it. They actually brag about it. They have nothing else in their shamefully unproductive lives outside of this private emulated server in some far off corner of the internet. If they gave that up that embarrassingly false sense of superiority, what else is there?

how dare you

Praxcthius
05-18-2022, 03:34 PM
@RagerQuitter you seem the kind of person who just wants shit given to them. Probably have adult tantrums now when your grandmother tells you to clean your room that she so graciously allows you to stay in due to the probability you’re a lazy piece of rubbish and won’t go support yourself as an adult should. So to sum up. Take your hate vitriol and participation trophy mentality and literally shove it all up your pre-diabetic ass.

Klazdaxthun.

P.s. since you have in all likelihood a Lot of time online peruse videos of cute puppies and kitties.

Rager and Quitter
05-18-2022, 04:17 PM
@RagerQuitter.

Struck a nerdve. LOL!

Mblake1981
05-18-2022, 06:29 PM
Struck a nerdve. LOL!

Striking is better than chopping a nerve.