PDA

View Full Version : As a long time player...

starkind
04-22-2022, 05:05 PM
I have played EQ on and off for most of 23 years and I find that EQ as a whole is a dying game. Genre. Could we make Everquest Great Again?

For me. A focus entirely on psuedobalanced (rock paper scissors) pvp and a repurposing of all the content and art assets for a better progression (focused more on pvp instead of PvE). And a continuation of original quests and storylines that remain unfinished. Flavor text and conversations and faction intrigue that was cut in order to spend more time on NToV and ST. And a deeper more robust crafting and gathering system.

What would it take to get you to come back to the game?

Tunabros
04-22-2022, 05:12 PM
"player"

go eat dirt or something

Jibartik
04-22-2022, 05:26 PM
OP reading their threads first reply

https://i.imgur.com/WSQk9nT.gif

starkind
04-22-2022, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't hit Tunabros. Plus even in my weekend state I probably tower over them. I still believe one day Tunabros will turn a corner instead of belittling a poster will contribute to a thread in a meaningful way. I'll never rule that out so long as Tunabros is alive.

Really, just if Tunabros found Jesus Christ. I believe their whole world would change for the better without having to change anything. Just because they would feel better about what they have and who they have to share it with. Even if tge Chinese invaded Hong Kong. I believe Tunabros could still find peace and happiness in the loving embrace of Christ and his ideals.

Gustoo
04-22-2022, 06:37 PM
Tunabros scouring the forums for a starkind post, eagerly posts mean responses. We know you need love tunabros, we're here for you.

Starkind basically its as you say, there should be a natural progression to the game with gear attainable through quests that involve significant travel and walking portions, and items that poof when teleported to disable the easy mode of porting around for completing these quests.

Those quests should gear you to enter the planes and begin fighting there for further gear and stuff.

There should also be hyper rare items that are dropped from top dungeon bosses on a very rare basis for a limited amount of time.

So manastone, but also maybe custom stuff. This would be high value super rare items and the drop point for them would be announced in a role play manner, meaning you need to talk to your city gossipman rather than a stupid server announcement in login. If your faction with your gossip person isn't good enough you don't get good intel (though everyone will know the real intel right away)

The drop point will be a hot PVP death battleground, with no rules whatsoever including training and corpse camping. It's a full hell attack break the game as much as possible.

Any sort of tool assisted cheats will result in all of your characters being deleted and publicly shamed permanently, with all your character money being given away to one of the people your exploits recently impacted.

This will be performed by a GM in the guise of the "Priest of Discord" who enforces proper discord.

The rules allowing training are based on making the pvp encounters black and white enforceable. If no cheating was detected, everything is OK.

Training greatly favors feign death classes so I'm not 100% sure I feel good about this idea but it does make the PVP more focused, basically you gotta have someone at zone entrance stomping on enemies at all times if you really wanna lock down a zone.

PVP meta is getting in to the Hot Spawn hot zone and assassinating the mob quickly and looting the mob to hope you get the good item, while people are fighting for zone / mob control. Everyone is trying to keep track of mob timer to time their incursions.

These mobs will not just drop "legacy" trash like manastone but will also have best in slot gear for classes, so its in the interest of raid guilds to participate in these and learn to control actual PVP player encounters rather than GM assisted safety raids on dragons only. the mobs aren't the main enemy in these encounters, other players are.

At 100% of all times there should be a high value mob spawning that is killable by basically any 2 level 50 characters with moderate skill. any time you log on you can go and participate in the madness.

Item loot enabled. Good no drop gear available.

There may be Lore item sets, for example.

FT1 robe for casters, Rubicite Tunic for melee

Both of these items are overlapping lore, so basically if you get killed by someone that owns one of these items, your BIS chest piece is safe.

If you go out of your way to avoid wearing certain Lore items to have better stuff to steal from your opponents you will be that much weaker.

So basically item loot at level 50 is managed through a collection of LORE stuff, a collection of No Drop stuff, and then a smattering of normal droppable non lore stuff.

LORE helps keep items moving through the community rather than stock piling in banks, the goal is for the PP price of droppable items to be low, like they were on Rallos Zek.

Best in slot will never be a set of full no-drop to keep it fun and risky for all ages and levels of uberness.

Pick pocketing of NPC's is fully allowed and encouraged since its a mother fucking rogue doing the actual job of the class. Everyone should be killing rogues with impertinence and having one on your team means you're teaming up with someone that may or may not be trusty.

Rogue pick pocket can loot any item from a living NPC, at max skill level it still has an announcement of "Skuzzbucket attempts to pick GOBLIN KING's pocket!"

which will tell your group that you've been trying to rob them and then you will have the chance to pretend it was an accident.

I will stop right there.

Ranger and all bow and arrow has significant reduction in hit rate against PVP opponents with a shield equiped, facing the archer. Archery in the back for a ranger works similar to backstab, but with much less drastic increase in damage.

Gustoo
04-22-2022, 06:39 PM
It was supposed to be at max skill level pickpocket still has a CHANCE of an announcement of the pick pocketer using that ability. So it's a rogueish temptation.

DeathsSilkyMist
04-22-2022, 06:42 PM
Sadly nobody is going to develop a "new Everquest", because there doesn't seem to be a large interest for non-instanced MMO's.

Without that critical component, a redesign is basically going to feel like any modern MMO, but with Everquest assets. The non-instanced nature of Everquest drives a lot of the game design decisions that P99 players would appreciate.

And P99 itself cannot do too much in terms of custom content. It is limited by the client, which the P99 developers didn't create. Most attempts at custom content would probably feel meh at best, because they would need to squeeze things into the game under constraint, rather than actually develop new things.

Gustoo
04-22-2022, 06:43 PM
Randomly totally unannounced a super profitable game of DEFEND THE PERSON will happen in world event. Players online are randomly assigned a team red or team blue, blue team defending red team attacking. defending team has 65% of online population attacking team has 45 percent.

Attacking team's goal is to kill 1 identified player who is assigned the important task

The player with the important task has to travel to the destination stated in the note that the GM gives them. If they opt out of the quest it goes to someone else.

The teams get an opt in summoning message to bring them to the team assembly point and then they have to organize their teams defense or assault

Rethalis
04-22-2022, 07:49 PM
make the 40's easier to level so you can group with the rest of the higher level characters once you hit 50. I left P99 to go back to live because the 40's are so damn boring. The only place I have been able to reliably find a group has been COM and that is boring as hell.

Bring AA's into the fold but use a diablo2 esq style skill tree with it and a limited number of aa's to gain. That would make PVP a little more interesting.

Rethalis
04-22-2022, 07:51 PM
make the 40's easier to level so you can group with the rest of the higher level characters once you hit 50. I left P99 to go back to live because the 40's are so damn boring. The only place I have been able to reliably find a group has been COM and that is boring as hell.

Bring AA's into the fold but use a diablo2 esq style skill tree with it and a limited number of aa's to gain. That would make PVP a little more interesting.

so you can group in the higher level zones faster*

PlsNoBan
04-22-2022, 08:36 PM
P99 itself cannot do too much in terms of custom content.

Have you not played any eqemu servers besides P99? There have been some pretty neat servers with custom content over the years. Me and a few friends played on the re-launch of the "New Freeport" server last year and had a ton of fun and that server was very custom and different from regular EQ. Before that we played on Secrets' "Classless 3.0" server for a while and that was super fun too. Both ended up suffering from the same issue of running out of content and getting kinda boring at the endgame/lack thereof but were both extremely enjoyable for a couple weeks/months. I would go as far as to say both of those servers were probably the most fun I've had playing EQ (or some custom version of EQ) since early P99.

All of that to say: Custom content is 100% possible for P99 if those in charge wanted to do it

DeathsSilkyMist
04-22-2022, 08:50 PM
Have you not played any eqemu servers besides P99? There have been some pretty neat servers with custom content over the years. Me and a few friends played on the re-launch of the "New Freeport" server last year and had a ton of fun and that server was very custom and different from regular EQ. Before that we played on Secrets' "Classless 3.0" server for a while and that was super fun too. Both ended up suffering from the same issue of running out of content and getting kinda boring at the endgame/lack thereof but were both extremely enjoyable for a couple weeks/months. I would go as far as to say both of those servers were probably the most fun I've had playing EQ (or some custom version of EQ) since early P99.

All of that to say: Custom content is 100% possible for P99 if those in charge wanted to do it

I never said custom content isn't possible:) I said it is limited, which it is. Any custom content on any EQEMU is heavily constrained by the client and existing Everquest game mechanics.

PlsNoBan
04-22-2022, 08:57 PM
I never said custom content isn't possible:) I said it is limited, which it is. Any custom content on any EQEMU is heavily constrained by the client and existing Everquest game mechanics.

I mean I guess you're technically correct if you want to split hairs but it's far less limited than your initial post made it sound imo. I've seen plenty of cool custom stuff that's much cooler than "meh at best". I don't think it's anything P99 will ever do or have any interest in doing but to imply it somehow couldn't be done or wouldn't be possible to make something super cool is a bit silly.

DeathsSilkyMist
04-22-2022, 09:02 PM
I mean I guess you're technically correct if you want to split hairs but it's far less limited than your initial post made it sound imo. I've seen plenty of cool custom stuff that's much cooler than "meh at best". I don't think it's anything P99 will ever do or have any interest in doing but to imply it somehow couldn't be done or wouldn't be possible to make something super cool is a bit silly.

I am not splitting hairs, just stating a fact. Of course they can add new quests, dialogue, etc. But chances are it is going to be "meh at best", because most custom content on most EQEMU servers is meh. It's not easy to make new quests, dialogue, etc. that are good and work within the additional constraints of trying to keep P99 within the 1999-2002 timeline.

Ripqozko
04-22-2022, 09:04 PM
he will keep replying for like 40 more pages, hope that helps.

DeathsSilkyMist
04-22-2022, 09:05 PM
he will keep replying for like 40 more pages, hope that helps.

He will keep bragging about an item that is worst than the bag/bank slot it sits in. Hope this helps:)

Tethler
04-22-2022, 11:15 PM
I remember Braknar making a Halloween event a few years back. He spent significant time on it, but the player base shat all over his event because the players here are a bunch of spoiled man-children.

It's a shock they haven't done anything else since then.

Jibartik
04-22-2022, 11:24 PM
The best way to do EQ is to actually get off on the people that youve upset.

Tethler
04-22-2022, 11:36 PM
The best way to do EQ is to actually get off on the people that youve upset.

So, being Chortles = peak EQ

Jibartik
04-22-2022, 11:50 PM
peak eq is what happened last week :o

Arvan
04-23-2022, 01:06 AM
stay off drugs kids

Kohedron
04-23-2022, 01:42 AM
sounds like a lot of not-classic shit

but yeah ok cool

starkind
04-23-2022, 11:48 AM
Tunabros scouring the forums for a starkind post, eagerly posts mean responses. We know you need love tunabros, we're here for you.

Starkind basically its as you say, there should be a natural progression to the game with gear attainable through quests that involve significant travel and walking portions, and items that poof when teleported to disable the easy mode of porting around for completing these quests.

Those quests should gear you to enter the planes and begin fighting there for further gear and stuff.

There should also be hyper rare items that are dropped from top dungeon bosses on a very rare basis for a limited amount of time.

So manastone, but also maybe custom stuff. This would be high value super rare items and the drop point for them would be announced in a role play manner, meaning you need to talk to your city gossipman rather than a stupid server announcement in login. If your faction with your gossip person isn't good enough you don't get good intel (though everyone will know the real intel right away)

The drop point will be a hot PVP death battleground, with no rules whatsoever including training and corpse camping. It's a full hell attack break the game as much as possible.

Any sort of tool assisted cheats will result in all of your characters being deleted and publicly shamed permanently, with all your character money being given away to one of the people your exploits recently impacted.

This will be performed by a GM in the guise of the "Priest of Discord" who enforces proper discord.

The rules allowing training are based on making the pvp encounters black and white enforceable. If no cheating was detected, everything is OK.

Training greatly favors feign death classes so I'm not 100% sure I feel good about this idea but it does make the PVP more focused, basically you gotta have someone at zone entrance stomping on enemies at all times if you really wanna lock down a zone.

PVP meta is getting in to the Hot Spawn hot zone and assassinating the mob quickly and looting the mob to hope you get the good item, while people are fighting for zone / mob control. Everyone is trying to keep track of mob timer to time their incursions.

These mobs will not just drop "legacy" trash like manastone but will also have best in slot gear for classes, so its in the interest of raid guilds to participate in these and learn to control actual PVP player encounters rather than GM assisted safety raids on dragons only. the mobs aren't the main enemy in these encounters, other players are.

At 100% of all times there should be a high value mob spawning that is killable by basically any 2 level 50 characters with moderate skill. any time you log on you can go and participate in the madness.

Item loot enabled. Good no drop gear available.

There may be Lore item sets, for example.

FT1 robe for casters, Rubicite Tunic for melee

Both of these items are overlapping lore, so basically if you get killed by someone that owns one of these items, your BIS chest piece is safe.

If you go out of your way to avoid wearing certain Lore items to have better stuff to steal from your opponents you will be that much weaker.

So basically item loot at level 50 is managed through a collection of LORE stuff, a collection of No Drop stuff, and then a smattering of normal droppable non lore stuff.

LORE helps keep items moving through the community rather than stock piling in banks, the goal is for the PP price of droppable items to be low, like they were on Rallos Zek.

Best in slot will never be a set of full no-drop to keep it fun and risky for all ages and levels of uberness.

Pick pocketing of NPC's is fully allowed and encouraged since its a mother fucking rogue doing the actual job of the class. Everyone should be killing rogues with impertinence and having one on your team means you're teaming up with someone that may or may not be trusty.

Rogue pick pocket can loot any item from a living NPC, at max skill level it still has an announcement of "Skuzzbucket attempts to pick GOBLIN KING's pocket!"

which will tell your group that you've been trying to rob them and then you will have the chance to pretend it was an accident.

I will stop right there.

Ranger and all bow and arrow has significant reduction in hit rate against PVP opponents with a shield equiped, facing the archer. Archery in the back for a ranger works similar to backstab, but with much less drastic increase in damage.

It was supposed to be at max skill level pickpocket still has a CHANCE of an announcement of the pick pocketer using that ability. So it's a rogueish temptation.

Randomly totally unannounced a super profitable game of DEFEND THE PERSON will happen in world event. Players online are randomly assigned a team red or team blue, blue team defending red team attacking. defending team has 65% of online population attacking team has 45 percent.

Attacking team's goal is to kill 1 identified player who is assigned the important task

The player with the important task has to travel to the destination stated in the note that the GM gives them. If they opt out of the quest it goes to someone else.

The teams get an opt in summoning message to bring them to the team assembly point and then they have to organize their teams defense or assault

Hell yeah. Especially to the rogues and the town crier with random missions that require faction to discover creating player competitions!

The rogue change should be in right now just because regardless :p

The project 1999 team did a Capture The Flag style game mode as a sort of experiment if I remember correctly and it was really cool 😎

so you can group in the higher level zones faster*

I agree. The older a server is the more of a catchup mechanic is needed. Diabo elements would mesh perfectly with EQ pvp. Live AAs where a great way to sorta give classes more power without making them dependent on raid loots.

Yeah those servers where great. A lot of people who work p99 work other projects. If we had custom content it doesn't need the p99 brand. Although that would lend a lot of credence to any new custom server staying true to the original feel and ideals of p99.

Even a reskin of wow classic with everquest classic assets would be really fun. It would work. It'd be neither game. It'd be interesting! And still probably pretty nostalgiac.

I remember Braknar making a Halloween event a few years back. He spent significant time on it, but the player base shat all over his event because the players here are a bunch of spoiled man-children.

It's a shock they haven't done anything else since then.

Yeah. That was sad. This community needs help.

So, being Chortles = peak EQ

Yes 🎩👩*🦲🥂

Thx all hugely for the replies. It was fun to read and a crazy mash up of all these ideas would be heck'n fun!

unsunghero
04-23-2022, 04:39 PM
I re-tried live up to lev 115 dual boxing 2 chars

What would make me come back is:

1. And most importantly, lots of other people coming back. This would allow the removal of extremely powerful crutches in place to aid people trying to solo to max level due to the lack of community. Which I’ll list next

2. The removal of defiant gear. Having drops all the time from any mob randomly at all levels that has better stats than max level raid gear (like +5-25 to all stats depending on the level of the mob) is a bit game breaking

3. Removal of mercs. The highest tier only available to those that pay monthly, are OP. My 2 healing mercs could keep my two chars alive indefinitely with multiple mobs on us if I wanted to go make a sandwich. Also without oom’ing. They would only oom if I was fighting a group/raid mob, I’m assuming due to having to switch to using less mana efficient heals

4. Removal of P2W cash shop. Exp pots, clarity pots, sow pots need to go

That’d be a good start

starkind
04-23-2022, 05:41 PM
Ya. I felt pretty pressured to buy bags, boxes, and exp pots and stuff 115 too. I spent at least $80 on the game.

The upside...I had access to all those expansions and really enjoyed the time I spent running around doing stuff.

If I had groups. I would have stayed subbed. It was too much effort and social anxiety for me to reach out to other players at the time. I feel like I'm in a place now where I could be part of a guild and play seasonally. If I didn't have much more important serious stuff to do. And the ability to play a few hrs every few days.

starkind
04-23-2022, 05:41 PM
I just want to say really good points unsunghero.

Nocht
04-24-2022, 02:01 AM
We need an all Iksar server. Every class available to Iksar. Every drop wearable by Iksar. Every NPC is an Iksar.

Even Holly Windstalker and Sargent Slate.

starkind
04-24-2022, 02:08 AM
The IRL lady that Holly Windstalker is supposed to be is an iksar IRL (draconic). Holly Longdale.

Bardp1999
04-24-2022, 02:55 AM
New Everquest is coming, its called Pantheon - prepare to be significantly disapointed

Tunabros
04-24-2022, 03:51 AM
Retarded thread

starkind
04-24-2022, 08:44 AM
Ask yourselfes.

Why in all of space times and through the unlikely hoods of countless and infinite miracles posting here?

For me the dream is still alive in my heart. Everquest is a part of me. One day I can only hope a new generation, new soul will pilot their elfes into pixel paradise and dream their own dreams. May the spirit of Everquest remain alive in the hearts and minds of men, elf, dwarf, and halfling alike for ages yet to come.

azeth
04-24-2022, 09:34 AM
I've never ignored anyone on these boards in over 10 years except OP. Every single thing posted by this person is so beyond irrational and insane that it truly makes me question reality sometimes. Do yourself a favor and ignore them like I have

starkind
04-24-2022, 09:41 AM
Praying for your elfsoul Azeth. 🙏

Tunabros
04-24-2022, 08:50 PM
starkind stfu

like how do you make azeth mad bruh

starkind
04-24-2022, 10:37 PM
Azeth was mad at my previous incarnations before you even rolled on the forums.

You think Starkind is "bad" ha!

Anyway I don't even know Azeth. They seem like a pixel addict. That's probably y they are mad. I'm guessing tho.

I don't follow everyone and everything.

The bigger assumption you're making is that I actually care if people are mad at me? I don't know honestly.

I don't reaaaaally care if ppl hate me. That's dumb to care about.

It's always sad that ppl are mad. And dumb. And unfortunate... from what I gather... Azeth is "less" mad and more "just doesn't get me" and maybe afraid that they'll grow a third eye or something if they red my posts.

And you know what...honestly. The smartest. Healthiest thing for anyone who doesn't want a third eye or to be like weirded out would be for them to put me on ignore. And never ever reply to me or engage with me. Or anything anyone quotes from me.

Because guess what.

I will never really just be like "oh I can't stand this person they don't exist blshblshblah". I will engage them tho. I will be like hey. This is how I feel. Just like this post. I know you say don't talk to me. It's like you just want to talk at me tho and then be indignant if I actually respond.

Hey, u know what cool. U do ur thing.

We aren't the boss of eachother. I'm glad I'm not on ignore yet. When I am. Whatever.

I will try and not get your attention so much butttt like it's not like that many ppl post here so if there's a reply from u I can't promise I won't just do my thing and post whatever Anyway.

It's debatable if Azeth is even really mad. And if they are... well thoughts and prayers for getting mad at ppl who u have on ignore and don't even interact with...

Who even is Azeth? I don't really overly care much. Yet... like I would maybe if they needed me to care. It doesn't sound like Azeth wants my care. So I pretty much just hope Azeth, he she or it or they or whatever are OK. Just like I hope you're OK. Or will be one day.

Anyway. Thx for the brilliant question. Hopefully this answers it somewhat.

Nocht
04-25-2022, 12:12 AM
New Everquest is coming, its called Pantheon - prepare to be significantly disapointed

Don't worry you can stay here and play P1999 for the next 20 years. Its called a containment server for a reason.

Tunabros
04-25-2022, 12:33 AM
you dont even play p99 or everquest

get a fucking grip

Jibartik
04-25-2022, 12:52 AM
https://i.imgur.com/DO2It4T.png

enjchanter
04-25-2022, 03:27 PM
TLP'S or WoW are the answer to this question

Zoolander
04-27-2022, 04:36 PM

i used to pickpocket golem for gems in pofear back in 2009 on vztz. this made me incredibly rich on the server, good times.

Raj
04-27-2022, 04:44 PM
I've never ignored anyone on these boards in over 10 years except OP. Every single thing posted by this person is so beyond irrational and insane that it truly makes me question reality sometimes. Do yourself a favor and ignore them like I have

starkind stfu

like how do you make azeth mad bruh

Chortles Snortles
04-27-2022, 07:56 PM
https://i.imgur.com/94Wz1zc.jpg

starkind
04-27-2022, 08:16 PM
I'm a shitlord you malakoi!