PDA

View Full Version : Culture - troll vs. ogre?

pink grapefruit
09-18-2021, 10:22 PM
Never played as either of these ugly evil races, but the more I troll these forums the more I'm wanting to get back in game. With red basically being a single-player game, shaman seems like the class to play.

Stats don't matter, racials don't matter. How do these two races compare culturally? I know they're sorta allied with the dark elves which is neat. Trolls always seems more cruel and evil, while ogres are just goofy and like to smash things lol.

Obviously iksar are the coolest shaman but I wanna try something I've never done before in this old af game.

thoughts?????

pink grapefruit
09-18-2021, 10:34 PM
how do the cities of grobb and oggok "feel" when your characters have grown up there?

Jimbingym
09-18-2021, 10:44 PM
I think ogres are the better option. Trolls were always just big smelly fat swamp dwellers. Ogres used to be not only one of the most physically strongest races, but also one of the most intelligent and magically powerful races, on par with erudites. They're dumb now because they were cursed along with the other creations of Rallos Zek for raiding the other planes and killing gods. Look up Lore of Norrath on the wiki and go to The Fall of Rallos Zek and His Children if you want to know more. You could make your ogre shaman worship Rallos Zek and RP him as being spared from the curse due to being one of Zek's chosen or something like that. Lots of potential there.

Gustoo
09-18-2021, 11:01 PM
No question ogres have better actual RP potential while trolls are exactly what they are, trolls. If you wanna be a troll they’re your best bet. Ogre culture was once great and is still more peaceful and kind by comparison.

druidbob
09-18-2021, 11:27 PM
Oggok always felt a bit too slapped together. Grobb, while crude, at least has a basic city layout

Baler
09-19-2021, 02:46 AM
Troll is better

Don't even question it, do it.

starkind
09-19-2021, 10:12 AM
Ogres are natural. More connected to norrath. There's henges in Fearrott. They have an Inn of sorts in lake Rathe. And still a tribe of them live in WK.

Trolls are basically monsters that would lurk in the shadows days waiting for prey just because that's all they do. Their a lot like xenomorphs from the aliens movie to me. Cazic and innoruuk both love playing with trolls and twisting them tormenting them so they are further crazy. They are more seafaring tho.

Baler
09-19-2021, 11:16 AM
Ogres were essentially slaves to the dark elves. Dark Elves used their superior intelligence to manipulate the ogres into doing what was best for the dark elves.

A lot of people overlook this because they've been bashed in the face so many times.

starkind
09-19-2021, 11:22 AM
I see ogres like a paleolithic group that was indoctrinated ya. And made to serve evil.

Sort of like if aliens landed on primitive earth and started rounding up people to subjugate everyone else.

They aren't inherently super evil.

That being said, dark elves are one of the few races that the ogres don't kill on sight, so the dark elves were willing to do what it took to earn the ogres respect, where as humans just despise and kill ogres and sight so they repay them in kind.

Trolls on the other hand have very little in the way of permanent structures and live on the ruins (giant hands) devoured and consumed of an old dead civilization.

Some join mercenary bands, and some escape. Yet most are just driven by hunger and impermanence. Trolls don't remember the past, they just consume the present.

Ogres have a past and I believe they remember. They follow dark gods because the rest of the world wants to destroy them and they are shunned by the good gods. Not because they are evil, out of necessity and survival.

Someone needs to go to bat for the trolls though, I wish they had a more developed and interesting storyline other than they are just bloodthirsty killing machines. Some of the best players I have met in game were trolls and if I had to chose one... I may chose troll because if your going to be beautiful like a troll be the most beautiful.

starkind
09-19-2021, 11:27 AM
if u rollplay an ogre u could have ur ogre have like a rich oral tradition retelling the tail of how a great chieften was struck down by gods and how the ogres fought a battle with otherworldly minions saving the last of their people and were left to seek out refuge in the caves. and have some rights and traditions of passage and stuff that fit along with the stories to show your ogres prowess and worthiness to the tribe

starkind
09-19-2021, 11:28 AM
if i roleplayed a troll

i would be like a scientist troll trying to capture and create a gnomish breading program and create like a gnomish pickling industry and liek my goal would be to set up underground gnome farms and an assembly line churning out gnome pickles so i'd establish some kind trollbrand

starkind
09-19-2021, 11:29 AM
maybe i'd hang out in steamfont and delusionally think i succeeded with akanon being my 'gnome factory'

Baler
09-19-2021, 11:32 AM
if i roleplayed a troll

i would be like a scientist troll trying to capture and create a gnomish breading program and create like a gnomish pickling industry and liek my goal would be to set up underground gnome farms and an assembly line churning out gnome pickles so i'd establish some kind trollbrand

I can't tell if this is a gnome fetish or brilliant industrialization.

starkind
09-19-2021, 11:33 AM
I can't tell if this is a gnome fetish or brilliant industrialization.

trolls need a lot of food and quickly :p

Baler
09-19-2021, 11:36 AM
trolls need a lot of food and quickly :p

I can vouch for this. My troll main may or may not have eaten a family member.

(yeah trolls are trash cans, they'll eat anything including cannibalism.)

starkind
09-19-2021, 12:00 PM
I'm actually very interested in hearing about troll players RP experiences and how they see themselves.

If I rolled up on red1.0 again i'd prob just roll a troll warrior and run around farming froglocks and rats and stuff and cooking in grobbs ovens and I'd be pretty peaceful towards most of the players I ran across because I just don't have it in my heart to hurt players anymore. Even when they are bind camping me. Maybe I would roll play a Cazic Thule troll and just have a bunch of phobias. Or I would try to help other people with their fears. So I would be sorta like a counseler. I'd offer to go on adventures to help people overcome powerful foes they were scared of n stuff

last night in my dream a big house sized alligator smiled at me

Chewie is still the best.

zanderklocke
09-19-2021, 12:17 PM
One of my proudest moments as a bard was having the troll illusion. How cool is a troll bard…like what would that music even sound like?

You should pick troll and then just carry around instruments in your bag and roleplay that you weren’t actually skilled enough to equip and use the instruments for any benefit….or roleplay as some other class trolls can’t actually be like paladin. Like roll a shadow knight and struggle with the challenges of really wanting to be a paladin while fighting against your true evil nature. Just focus on raising your faction with all the paladin factions.

pink grapefruit
09-19-2021, 12:26 PM
Cazic troll with clinical phobias is some smart rp. I never would have thought of that lol :D

Leaning ogre now. I really need to be able to express some of my own sincere feelings through a character and the troll just seems hard. Cazic as a religion always sort of confused me… like how would worship the concept of fear? Makes me think some of Catholicism, maybe.

Probably RZ ogre. Possibly hateful inny troll.

Baler
09-19-2021, 12:29 PM
Innoruuk Troll Shaman, clickie snare, pras the god of hate.
(also halfling illusion clickie /thread)

pink grapefruit
09-19-2021, 12:33 PM
One of my proudest moments as a bard was having the troll illusion. How cool is a troll bard…like what would that music even sound like?

You should pick troll and then just carry around instruments in your bag and roleplay that you weren’t actually skilled enough to equip and use the instruments for any benefit….or roleplay as some other class trolls can’t actually be like paladin. Like roll a shadow knight and struggle with the challenges of really wanting to be a paladin while fighting against your true evil nature. Just focus on raising your faction with all the paladin factions.

Oooh. Troll shaman trying to remain faithful to innoruuk but having troublesome feelings of benevolence?

That could be fun lol

Baler
09-19-2021, 12:37 PM
Oooh. Troll shaman trying to remain faithful to innoruuk but having troublesome feelings of benevolence?

That could be fun lol

You could even equip some Happy Love Bracers (https://wiki.project1999.com/Happy_Love_Bracers)

pink grapefruit
09-19-2021, 12:41 PM
Also what’s the deal with barbarians? How does the tribunal fit their culture at all. Why are their beastlords Stan mithaniel mart??

druidbob
09-19-2021, 12:53 PM
Also what’s the deal with barbarians? How does the tribunal fit their culture at all. Why are their beastlords Stan mithaniel mart??

Mithaniel Marr made sense for barbs since the marrs created them, but yeah never really understood their connection to the tribunal

starkind
09-19-2021, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I don't get tribunal either. It has to do with their rogue guild and every barbarian is a freeman. So like their the most just or something. Rogues of the white rose? are the good guys? Or whatever they are, exist only to knock the tyrants down a peg and spread freedom and barbarianisms? Not sure. They serve as tribunals assassins afaik.

As for another good troll idea is a troll that worships jarana and wants to recycle Freeport, and lives in the sewers. Coming out at night to munch on guards and happless civilians.

starkind
09-19-2021, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I don't get tribunal either. It has to do with their rogue guild and every barbarian is a freeman. So like their the most just or something. Rogues of the white rose? are the good guys? Or whatever they are, exist only to knock the tyrants down a peg and spread freedom and barbarianisms? Not sure. They serve as tribunals assassins afaik.

As for another good troll idea is a troll that worships *karana* and wants to recycle Freeport, and lives in the sewers. Coming out at night to munch on guards and happless civilians.

pink grapefruit
09-19-2021, 03:36 PM
It is high time someone recycled Freeport tbh.

pink grapefruit
09-19-2021, 07:56 PM
Okay went with ogre lol.

Logged in to find out I already had an iksar shaman (lvl 25), from way back when there was no xp bonus.

And I have some top tier character names on red :P

setting all this nonsense up takes forever bleh

jolanar
09-19-2021, 08:01 PM
Personally I find trolls to be more interesting. They are dark and twisted and cruel like dark elves but without the high intelligence, where as ogres just seem more like dumb brutes.

starkind
09-19-2021, 08:13 PM
Okay went with ogre lol.

Logged in to find out I already had an iksar shaman (lvl 25), from way back when there was no xp bonus.

And I have some top tier character names on red :P

setting all this nonsense up takes forever bleh
Cool!

This thread can still be about troll RP ideas right?

Have about a Troll of Tunare protector and gardener of the Oasis?

Or a troll miner, agnostic with Dwarven, kaladim faction?

There's the qenos sewer troll, protector of the rats.

Or the troll of Felwithe, a Troll princess of Errolisi, the first troll diplomat.

starkind
09-19-2021, 08:14 PM
Or a troll defender of runnyeye. Hero of the goblins.

pink grapefruit
09-19-2021, 08:18 PM
Personally I find trolls to be more interesting. They are dark and twisted and cruel like dark elves but without the high intelligence, where as ogres just seem more like dumb brutes.

Deity tier list:

S:
Erollisi Marr
Quellious
Rallos Zek
Tunare

A:
Bertoxxulous
Bristlebane
Innoruuk
Rodcet Nife (++points for being a goddamn alien with a legit flying saucer)

B:
Cazic Thule
Karana
Solusek Ro
The Tribunal (almost made them C but they're actually p metal)
Veeshan

C:
Mithaniel Marr (the basic bitch paladin deity)
Prexus

F-:
Brell Serilis (FUCK this guy!)

My good-aligned erudites are always Quellious. Why is everyone so big on Prexus??

pink grapefruit
09-19-2021, 08:25 PM
also where can i find some newbie bags from oggok quests idk if i wanna twink this char any

starkind
09-19-2021, 08:28 PM
Deity tier list:

S:
Erollisi Marr
Quellious
Rallos Zek
Tunare

A:
Bertoxxulous
Bristlebane
Innoruuk

B:
Cazic Thule
Karana
Solusek Ro
Veeshan

C:
Prexus

F-:

My good-aligned erudites are always Quellious. Why is everyone so big on Prexus??

The beach and the sexy catlady island has everyone following prexuZ

druidbob
09-19-2021, 09:14 PM
Deity tier list:

S:
Erollisi Marr
Quellious
Rallos Zek
Tunare

A:
Bertoxxulous
Bristlebane
Innoruuk

B:
Cazic Thule
Karana
Solusek Ro
Veeshan

C:
Prexus

F-:

Prexus is worshipped by the Kerrans and the Othmir, who have two of the best soundtracks in the game. Should be rated higher just for that.

jolanar
09-20-2021, 06:17 AM
also where can i find some newbie bags from oggok quests idk if i wanna twink this char any

Imagine making deity tier lists and not even knowing how to find where to buy bags in a starting city.

starkind
09-20-2021, 08:57 AM
Imagine a troll of quellious who just wants to be friends with everyone but they attack her instead and she ends up becoming a grandmistress of armed combat because she doesn't want to 'lay a hand' on anyone and ends up teaching a self defense course to her friends that don't attack her! She goes on quests to earn the trust of all of the factions!

starkind
09-20-2021, 08:58 AM
Imagine a Troll of Rodcet Knife on a mission to observe the ogres and she accidently violates the prime directive and they start worshiping her like a god!

starkind
09-20-2021, 09:05 AM
Imagine a troll of Prexus that is on a quest to capture the great Koalindl alive for her aquarium!

Baler
09-20-2021, 04:21 PM
Imagine a troll of Prexus that is on a quest to capture the great Koalindl alive for her aquarium!

Imagine a Troll in Erudite Prexus Cultural Armour (https://wiki.project1999.com/Cultural_Tradeskills:_Erudite#Fashionquest).

https://i.imgur.com/HkJlpi5.gif

wagorf
09-21-2021, 04:03 AM
while i think my troll war looks badass, ogre is no doubt a better RP race

i also love ogre players who RP

Tunabros
09-21-2021, 02:09 PM
90 percent of the posts in this thread are people on my ignore list

yikes, you know this is a cringe thread

Baler
09-21-2021, 02:12 PM

I think that says more about you than it does them.
I'm just saying

Smoofers
09-21-2021, 03:13 PM
Fact: ogre cultural dominance is a direct result of their frontal stun immunity

ScottBerta
09-21-2021, 03:27 PM
All classes that can be ogre should be ogre.

Tunabros
09-21-2021, 03:28 PM
all classes that can be human SHOULD be human

pink grapefruit
09-21-2021, 03:57 PM
why can't half elves be clerics?

Boptop
09-21-2021, 04:49 PM

You miss 100% of the posts you don't make.

starkind
09-21-2021, 05:32 PM
why can't half elves be clerics?

Ikr.

Can always load up a half elf Paladin in wis gear and go /role