PDA

View Full Version : P99 green launch permanently killed my enthusiasm for everquest

Xezn
05-11-2021, 12:04 PM
I used to love this server and would play it in between TLP on and off throughout the years. When green released, I was as excited as everyone else and went in fairly hardcore. I actually preferred the corpse runs, the slower exp, the fact that mostly everything was the way I remember it. It felt like being in a time machine.

The problem I think with the green launch is that they did too many experimental changes that made it no longer feel like eq while leaving in too many balance issues. Green server kinda showed me what eq would be like if played by a modern crowd - everything gets solod, everyone fights over the best zones, people ignore half the areas in the game. Everyone was a solo class. I was still fun, but I think it left me disillusioned and sort of erased everything that I had experienced on blue the years prior.

I also think things like the forced lighting(which killed my performance) and the list stuff were terrible changes. Maybe it's better now that it's in kunark but I can't find the desire to come back to p99 anymore.

Midoo
05-13-2021, 11:07 AM
I know, it's depressing. People's mindsets changed a lot. Everyone is trying to minmax nowadays, no one has time to explore or roleplay. We keep saying the old days were simple times but people's standards were even simpler.

Jimjam
05-13-2021, 11:32 AM
Newb zone mobs need to be linked triplets which don’t respawn until all 3 mobs have been killed. Random spawn points and all 3 respawn all at once when the last of the 3 has been killed.

strongNpretty
05-13-2021, 11:42 AM
I know, it's depressing. People's mindsets changed a lot. Everyone is trying to minmax nowadays, no one has time to explore or roleplay. We keep saying the old days were simple times but people's standards were even simpler.

God damn amen dude. Everybody here acting like they can't get that classic experience, yet it's this community's own damn fault for the issues we experience today..

-300+ folks attending a raid to kill 1 dragon
-Min Maxing every single fucking thing
-Not going anywhere outside of the highest ZEM zones
-Even then, lets just CotH to the camp
-Folks at a camp for over 24 hours is pretty normal
-Living on discord cause no life
-Needing a port to get 1 zone over is a standard

unsunghero
05-13-2021, 12:41 PM
Everyone was a solo class

Half of the Green server is either druid or Necro. But it’s about the pp farming, not necessarily the solo’ing

It was a new server and so everyone started out with no money. Rolling something like a ranger with a xp penalty or a troll sk with an even bigger xp penalty and old (bad) knight damage tables and zero twink money is kind of a bad idea. No offense to anyone who did, more power to ya

Most people’s first char on a brand new server is going to be a farming class

strongNpretty
05-13-2021, 12:50 PM
Spent my morning POTG'n all of Norrath. Athemis doin god's work! Or maybe Tunare's work..

Tunabros
05-13-2021, 12:50 PM
am I the only mother fucker who logs in shouts LFG and then pugs for a few hours around here??

EQ is always what YOU make of it.

Jibartik
05-13-2021, 12:51 PM
am I the only who logs in shouts LFG and then pugs for a few hours around here??

drackgon
05-13-2021, 01:01 PM
The forced lighting on the server does suck, which causes some armor to look weird coloring. That aside, Green is still a solid server. Most (mainly non hardcore and semi hardcore raiders) enjoy the adventure. Yes there are things that I truly hate on the server bc they claim to want 2 be classic as can be,(aka Necros nerf'd bc they couldnt nerf a simple earring, and Dragons windows which is silly as can be) You just have to know that its a server ran by a few peeps. And they will do with what they want.

But, the game is still fun, and I love logging on and going hey guys what are we doing today. Could be leveling in hole, Leveling baby toons, PLing someone, Rushing off to Kith to hlep finish epic, or CoM. Theres tons and tons to do, and glad my guild gets to do those things:)

UrkTheSlayer
05-13-2021, 01:04 PM
am I the only who logs in shouts LFG and then pugs for a few hours around here??

First I’ll /who friends and check what the boys are up to, see if I can get the homie hook-up.

If that doesn’t pan out I’ll go to where I want to explore and check the camps I want. If no ones there I’ll /who and see if there’s anyone in zone my level and /tell them. If no ones there I’ll try to solo- if it doesn’t work out I /who all <my level> and send tells to see if they have room.

I almost always find atleast someone to duo with in the first 10-15. I find more duos then groups but honestly: any caster(besides cleric unless undead)+wizard duo is better exp then groups anyway.

Im sure two mages are probably better exp then wizard/mage but I honestly feel like mages would rather duo with a wizard instead of another mage.

Really stoked for quadding with Druids and Bards.

Keebz
05-13-2021, 01:10 PM
Honestly, I had a blast from launch until the summer or so. Those last 3-6 months of classic were painful.

this user was banned
05-13-2021, 02:27 PM
Mandatory Enchanters with charm pets in Hole groups.

sajbert
05-13-2021, 03:15 PM
I had a similar experience with Classic WoW.

Very few secrets left. Everything felt like a race to the finish line and I eventually quit because I realized that even if I was in a top guild with top gear I... wasn't having fun. It was a chore because every other nerd knew what I knew and it was simply a matter of time = progress and whoever had the most time was king.

My friends who still play Classic WoW all played casually. They now have much better gear than I ever had because they unlike me had fun and therefore kept playing.

With green I never had this problem. I didn't play green to be the best. I play casually and in my own pace. Liking it still, just wish I had picked a better class xD

Xer0
05-13-2021, 03:19 PM
God damn amen dude. Everybody here acting like they can't get that classic experience, yet it's this community's own damn fault for the issues we experience today..

-300+ folks attending a raid to kill 1 dragon
-Min Maxing every single fucking thing
-Not going anywhere outside of the highest ZEM zones
-Even then, lets just CotH to the camp
-Folks at a camp for over 24 hours is pretty normal
-Living on discord cause no life
-Needing a port to get 1 zone over is a standard

Yeah the general population in this game is a joke. I cant tell you how many times people are handing over 50-100 plat to go from Lavastorm to West Commons. That's like a 5 minute run lol.

Honestly though, I'm glad they all stay in unrest. That means befallen, najena, solusek's eye, etc are all free for the taking. Nothing more fun than going to a dungeon I haven't explored in years and getting a group started.

strongNpretty
05-13-2021, 03:23 PM
Yeah the general population in this game is a joke. I cant tell you how many times people are handing over 50-100 plat to go from Lavastorm to West Commons. That's like a 5 minute run lol.

Honestly though, I'm glad they all stay in unrest. That means befallen, najena, solusek's eye, etc are all free for the taking. Nothing more fun than going to a dungeon I haven't explored in years and getting a group started.

100% brotha. 100%.

Tunabros
05-13-2021, 03:26 PM
green attracted too many TLP players

Evia
05-13-2021, 04:23 PM
I relate to this. Idk if for the same reasons, but I definitely lost all my interest in eq after green launch. Something about the overall vibe of the player base really turned me off. It was very ugly and self serving. I even got caught up in it for a moment and really had to start evaluating my life and my time spent. Ultimately decided to just take a break. Kinda looking forward to mischief so we will see if that reinvigorates my interest in EQ.

P.s. StrongNpretty were still due a exp sesh bro!

strongNpretty
05-13-2021, 04:30 PM
I relate to this. Idk if for the same reasons, but I definitely lost all my interest in eq after green launch. Something about the overall vibe of the player base really turned me off. It was very ugly and self serving. I even got caught up in it for a moment and really had to start evaluating my life and my time spent. Ultimately decided to just take a break. Kinda looking forward to mischief so we will see if that reinvigorates my interest in EQ.

P.s. StrongNpretty were still due a exp sesh bro!

Evia, you awesome son of a gun- We sure do need a sess soon! You should see me online over the next couple days!!! I'm expecting /tell followed up with an adventure!

Baler
05-13-2021, 04:49 PM
Xezn
I used to love this server and would play it in between TLP on and off throughout the years.

I'm not trying to troll you but something doesn't add up with the things you said.

I thought green's launch was one of the biggest and best highlights of the server. People were doing content and grouping like crazy. even the worst magic items were selling for some plat value.

I understand what you mean by 'experimental changes'. There was and are things that are not classic plain and simple. This didn't start with the launch of green however. Such as the first month of kunark with no quest exp, nerfing wort pots, nerfing clickies.

Hill giants were Fixed not nerfed, I want that to be clear. I know that change upset alot of people but they actually made it more classic.

Xer0
05-13-2021, 06:27 PM
Xezn

I'm not trying to troll you but something doesn't add up with the things you said.

I thought green's launch was one of the biggest and best highlights of the server. People were doing content and grouping like crazy. even the worst magic items were selling for some plat value.

I understand what you mean by 'experimental changes'. There was and are things that are not classic plain and simple. This didn't start with the launch of green however. Such as the first month of kunark with no quest exp, nerfing wort pots, nerfing clickies.

Hill giants were Fixed not nerfed, I want that to be clear. I know that change upset alot of people but they actually made it more classic.

I am pretty sure /list was planned from day 1.

Darkwoo
05-13-2021, 06:50 PM
I am pretty sure /list was planned from day 1.

What solution would you recommend staff implement for camps like manastone?

Hyjalx
05-13-2021, 07:26 PM
how about implement nothing

Darkwoo
05-13-2021, 08:40 PM
how about implement nothing

That would suck. One small group of friends would own all the manastones on the server.

I'm pretty critical of the staff (to say the least), but I think the list system was a good change.

Bardp1999
05-14-2021, 12:12 AM
Now that the initial hype is over, try making an alt

I just started a necro earlier this week. Level 14 already and enjoying some P99. EQ 100% what you make of it.

cannobeers3
05-14-2021, 12:14 AM
Once you get over the stupid shit that really isn't that great like a manastone, minor regen and trivial illusion, what is left is what you make of it.

Have fun, enjoy yourself and move on.

Anything more or less is just fucking idiotic.

cd288
05-14-2021, 02:39 AM
Did you just post this same thing in the subreddit? You need to go outside man

cd288
05-14-2021, 02:40 AM
That would suck. One small group of friends would own all the manastones on the server.

I'm pretty critical of the staff (to say the least), but I think the list system was a good change.

I mean technically that is how classic worked to a certain extent. And I say that from an unbiased place of having no desire to camp a legacy item, so I’m not trying to farm and lock it down forever

Man0warr
05-14-2021, 03:25 AM
It would cause extra CSR work, which is why /list was created. They will develop non-Classic solutions to problems that cause extra volunteer work.

Danth
05-14-2021, 04:19 AM
I mean technically that is how classic worked to a certain extent.

It's a case where no P99 implementation will be entirely classic, nor entirely wrong, because it varied server to server depending on the whims of the GMs. On one server they would've (and did) force people to leave if they hogged camps for too long, on a second server they didn't respect camps at all, on a third they might've let someone hog it forever. Of course nobody knew in advance that manastones and similar items were going to be removed so we're simulating what would've been a psychic population in 1999. Custom solutions suit custom problems, I suppose.

Manowarr has an accurate assessment: A lot of P99's rules are designed to reduce staff workload first, maintain classic feel as secondary priority.

Danth

Tethler
05-14-2021, 05:07 AM
I used to love this server and would play it in between TLP on and off throughout the years. When green released, I was as excited as everyone else and went in fairly hardcore. I actually preferred the corpse runs, the slower exp, the fact that mostly everything was the way I remember it. It felt like being in a time machine.

The problem I think with the green launch is that they did too many experimental changes that made it no longer feel like eq while leaving in too many balance issues. Green server kinda showed me what eq would be like if played by a modern crowd - everything gets solod, everyone fights over the best zones, people ignore half the areas in the game. Everyone was a solo class. I was still fun, but I think it left me disillusioned and sort of erased everything that I had experienced on blue the years prior.

I also think things like the forced lighting(which killed my performance) and the list stuff were terrible changes. Maybe it's better now that it's in kunark but I can't find the desire to come back to p99 anymore.

can i have ur stuff

Mesocyclone
05-14-2021, 05:58 AM
how bout for green 2: no legacy items and delete chanters hahaha

Barik
05-14-2021, 10:05 AM
Anything past 500 people on a classic server is overkill, especially when everyone knows everything. Delete red, and bring back teal ffs.

Frug
05-14-2021, 10:36 AM

You're 100% correct, but the goal here is to make a museum piece of a game, not to make it fun. QOL changes that were actually fun and didn't change the overall experience are dogmatically rejected, because NeCkBeArD tears.

Jimjam
05-14-2021, 11:01 AM
You're 100% correct, but the goal here is to make a museum piece of a game, not to make it fun. QOL changes that were actually fun and didn't change the overall experience are dogmatically rejected, because NeCkBeArD tears.

Very true, but P1999 is many things to many people. It’s quite wonderful really. Seeing the conflicting agendas and arguments play out is equally fascinating.

cd288
05-14-2021, 11:54 AM
It's a case where no P99 implementation will be entirely classic, nor entirely wrong, because it varied server to server depending on the whims of the GMs. On one server they would've (and did) force people to leave if they hogged camps for too long, on a second server they didn't respect camps at all, on a third they might've let someone hog it forever. Of course nobody knew in advance that manastones and similar items were going to be removed so we're simulating what would've been a psychic population in 1999. Custom solutions suit custom problems, I suppose.

Manowarr has an accurate assessment: A lot of P99's rules are designed to reduce staff workload first, maintain classic feel as secondary priority.

Danth

As in era CSR I don’t remember ever making someone leave a camp for being at it too long, nor do I remember that being told to staff as something that you were allowed to do.

Honestly, back in the day someone holding down camps for days at a time wasn’t really as rampant as it is on P99 really. For various reasons. One being that you didn’t have nearly as much account sharing back then; people guarded their accounts closely and it didn’t become the norm to have guilds sharing accounts for example until a few years in. Another reason was simply lack of knowledge...not everyone knew how valuable certain items could be whether in plat or their use in raids etc (also didn’t know they would later be nerfed so there wasn’t this mad rush to get them).

Jimjam
05-14-2021, 12:07 PM
A lot of dial up connections where i was from would automatically cut out after 2 hours of being connected. Not sure if that was something that happened at all in the US, but yeah it really incentivised keeping sessions to 2hrs or at least scheduling 2hrly breaks!

BlackBellamy
05-14-2021, 01:05 PM
As in era CSR I don’t remember ever making someone leave a camp for being at it too long, nor do I remember that being told to staff as something that you were allowed to do.

The more I got into playing here the more these new rules came into conflict with my classic experience.

I'm sitting at Fear entrance and people are rolling to race. Oh look a 900 lets roll! If this named is up we have to get leave and come back! You have to be this close to spawn point to claim it. If you get your item you have to leave. It just goes on and on. There's whole pages dedicated on the wiki to esoteric points about camp rules, with ambiguous and contradictory quotes from long-forgotten GMs.

I mean whatever, I try to follow the rules and be a nice person in-game, which is what I did back then and I'm doing now, but still. I understand people know everything now, and communication is a lot easier, and people have learned to game and exploit the system, but these rules ain't classic. Not at all.

Nirgon
05-14-2021, 01:33 PM
OP never had any real enthusiasm for classic everquest

Just ezmode overfarmed p99 boxes with 100x longer xpac timelines

Cen
05-14-2021, 03:57 PM

Honestly, back in the day someone holding down camps for days at a time wasn’t really as rampant as it is on P99 really. For various reasons. One being that you didn’t have nearly as much account sharing back then; people guarded their accounts closely and it didn’t become the norm to have guilds sharing accounts for example until a few years in. Another reason was simply lack of knowledge...not everyone knew how valuable certain items could be whether in plat or their use in raids etc (also didn’t know they would later be nerfed so there wasn’t this mad rush to get them).

Account sharing was bannable if you said you shared it with anyone.

Xer0
05-14-2021, 04:19 PM

I'm also pretty sure on live staff did not intervene on camp disputes. Any sort of "claiming" of camps was just like a social contract.

cd288
05-14-2021, 05:16 PM
I'm also pretty sure on live staff did not intervene on camp disputes. Any sort of "claiming" of camps was just like a social contract.

Incorrect. We definitely intervened in camp disputes

starkind
05-14-2021, 06:49 PM

If the staff bothered to show up 99% likely you were told to take turns. KSing before the GM arrived or not directly observed by the GM was like never punished.

It was usually a FFA kos fest for the 40 minutes waiting for your petition to be answered and a GM to arrive.

Jimjam
05-14-2021, 07:02 PM

How did this play out? ‘Officially ‘ it seemed camps were a player made construct and not enforced by csr. This is not a trap question, i am curious.

chowdah555
05-14-2021, 07:09 PM

I definitely never shared my account. Heard of many instances where someone did and next thing you know their account got stripped and sold in RMT!

The other thing that limited the 24/7 camps was server maintenance. I remember the server going down much more frequently (I think almost weekly?) for maintenance. I'm sure that had to do with hardware requirements/limitations for servers 20+ years ago!

Cen
05-14-2021, 08:24 PM

I didn't mention that because I'm not sure about that.

Ananka
05-25-2021, 01:59 AM
I really enjoyed the list camp for the mask. It meant I could eventually get it without having to deal with drama.

Batty
05-27-2021, 06:59 PM
The more I got into playing here the more these new rules came into conflict with my classic experience.

I am skeptical that NOT having these rules wouldn't conflict with your classic experience even more. This is not classic. It is not the classic playerbase. The mindsets are different. The knowledge is different.

You would not have the ratio of people willing or able to poop sock various things in actual classic as you have now. There's only so much that can be done to replicate the classic experience and still actually have more than a dozen players that still want to play. If you didn't have rules on KSing that aren't like classic EQ, then you'd have people KSing to a degree that never happened in classic EQ. The poopsockiest of poopsocks would build around it, plan around it, and play around it. It would not be the classic experience.

You have to remember that without these rules, some people would play entirely differently to take advantage of those lack of rules. So you can't just take the distributions we have now and think it'd be the same without the rules.

Do you think without /list and KSing rules the manastone camp would've been ANYTHING like it was on release? When people didn't know what would happen? Come on, that experience would be way further from classic than what we had instead. You can't compare against classic, that's not an option. You need to compare against what p99 would be without the rules, which still would not be classic.

cd288
05-28-2021, 01:20 AM
If the staff bothered to show up 99% likely you were told to take turns. KSing before the GM arrived or not directly observed by the GM was like never punished.

It was usually a FFA kos fest for the 40 minutes waiting for your petition to be answered and a GM to arrive.

Well I mean obviously if you KSed before we showed up you wouldn’t be punished because we didn’t see it. Thanks for stating the obvious RecondoJoe alt account. But glad to know you were the type of person who would kill steal people until a GM arrived.

cd288
05-28-2021, 01:22 AM
How did this play out? ‘Officially ‘ it seemed camps were a player made construct and not enforced by csr. This is not a trap question, i am curious.

I mean it’s similar to how it plays out on P99. generally you would attempt to work out some sort of compromise...often involving splitting the camp or a rotation, but at least with me it really depended on how much of a jerk the new arrival was being...if they were clearly being a jerk then I might have said sorry wait till they leave the camp.

Delekhan
05-28-2021, 01:30 AM
The relentless requirement for player interaction and collaboration is what makes P99 classic in all the ways that matter.

Wharfrat
05-28-2021, 05:16 PM
Yeah It's definatly about who can amass the most plat no doubt about it.
Guess it was always that way, just now its everyone doing it .

Ananka
05-29-2021, 02:52 AM
Anyone else try Mischief's server launch. I paid the 15 bucks and basically made 10 characters but couldn't will myself to play them. I liked the idea of random rare and raid loot but Live is still not making an attempt to give a classic experience which turns me off and when I found out it was only going to be in classic for a month that killed all my enthusiasm entirely. I only found out about the server on launch day so I was going in semi blind. I decided I'd rather play the exact same character on P99 then Live. So that ended that.

vegam
05-29-2021, 03:32 AM
The awesome people in my guild and the friends I made on P99 have made it worth playing.

If you ONLY focus on the numerous dirtbags, elf lawyers, and neckbeards on the server, OR unrealistically expect a pure classic experience then of course your enthusiasm for the game will wane.

Tethler
05-29-2021, 04:17 AM

I don't think this is accurate, or it depended on the CSR that you talked to.

On live I shared my login with guild officers to use my druid for mobilization when I wasn't online. One officer gave the login to another person who stripped my account, deathlooped my druid from 60 to like 42 and changed the PW. I called in to recover, said someone I shared info with changed the PW on me and they reset my PW and restored everything. Took like 5 days for a senior GM to get to me though.

Edit: this occurred in Luclin era

Shanebear
06-01-2021, 03:51 PM

This is all I do, and I like it. I don't understand most of OP's complaints, like:

Everyone a solo class? I play a cleric, man. The only time I was soloing was in Unrest or Kithicor at night, and it wasn't exactly fast or easy. Lists are annoying but necessary. Of course the most rewarding zones are competitive.

Emile
06-06-2021, 12:50 AM
Half of the Green server is either druid or Necro. But it’s about the pp farming, not necessarily the solo’ing

It was a new server and so everyone started out with no money. Rolling something like a ranger with a xp penalty or a troll sk with an even bigger xp penalty and old (bad) knight damage tables and zero twink money is kind of a bad idea. No offense to anyone who did, more power to ya

Most people’s first char on a brand new server is going to be a farming class

Bummer. I'm currently on a TLP and it's hot garbage. Feels like I'm playing WoW. I'm considering coming back to p99 and rolling necro for the simple fact that I enjoy the solitary leveling of killing guards and such if I want to. Based on what I am reading in this thread, a lot of people started with necros and druids to farm plat to fun their eventual mains? Has that subsided at all since launch?

tadkins
06-06-2021, 05:59 AM
The awesome people in my guild and the friends I made on P99 have made it worth playing.

If you ONLY focus on the numerous dirtbags, elf lawyers, and neckbeards on the server, OR unrealistically expect a pure classic experience then of course your enthusiasm for the game will wane.

True. Nothing will ever be truly Classic because of all the knowledge and tools we have today. Short of giving us all lobotomies, it just can't happen.

It is classic enough for me though. Seeing people in most zones at most hours, people caring about the old world factions and such (I feel accomplished just being a human in Grobb), gives me enough of that nostalgia trip I remember from the actual year 1999.

Old_PVP
06-07-2021, 09:01 PM
Delete red, and bring back teal ffs.

How about merge everything into RED and turn on the PVP... at least Blue for starters? Grow a pair and PVP for your camps for a change.

I've lurked around this project for a while now, and time after time I see god awful phrases like "rule etiquette", "camp disputes" and "elf lawyers". Is this how you nerds envision reliving the nostalgia of Classic EverQuest? Sitting on lists? Zerging bosses down the instant they spawn with 0 risk? /sigh

History repeats itself with every fresh server launch... since forever. Doesn't matter the MMO...the same thing happens. The tryhards and neckbeards RACE to the top...get bored, get sad, and burn themselves out.

Every EQ problem can be solved via PVP. Even boredom. Think on that for a moment.

Repent your bluebie sins...join RED today, and kill somebody for once. :eek:

Jibartik
06-07-2021, 09:09 PM
Bummer. I'm currently on a TLP and it's hot garbage. Feels like I'm playing WoW. I'm considering coming back to p99 and rolling necro for the simple fact that I enjoy the solitary leveling of killing guards and such if I want to. Based on what I am reading in this thread, a lot of people started with necros and druids to farm plat to fun their eventual mains? Has that subsided at all since launch?

have you always had this avatar? I am having nostalgia looking at it, I seem to recall looking at it loop wondering what it was all about when I first started playing here.

cd288
06-07-2021, 09:27 PM

Yes

Vizax_Xaziv
06-07-2021, 11:09 PM
Anyone else try Mischief's server launch. I paid the 15 bucks and basically made 10 characters but couldn't will myself to play them. I liked the idea of random rare and raid loot but Live is still not making an attempt to give a classic experience which turns me off and when I found out it was only going to be in classic for a month that killed all my enthusiasm entirely. I only found out about the server on launch day so I was going in semi blind. I decided I'd rather play the exact same character on P99 then Live. So that ended that.

It's been fun so far. My Druid just hit 46 for planar raids tonight. It'll be fun to experience EQ during POP again, if nothing else, and the randomized-loot-drops alongside basically EVERYTHING being stoppable means that it's very very easy to get geared up.

It'll be fun levelling a melee alt with NTOV gear during Velious.

Emile
06-08-2021, 12:42 AM
have you always had this avatar? I am having nostalgia looking at it, I seem to recall looking at it loop wondering what it was all about when I first started playing here.

Yep many years ago.

Jibartik
06-08-2021, 01:18 AM
whats it from? At this point I should know.

Emile
06-08-2021, 03:58 AM
whats it from? At this point I should know.

Memory is a bit hazy. I want to say she was some kind of anthropology student on a research trip to Africa possibly? This is her, and there are some other pictures of her topless with tribal folk that went viral. She was of course doxxed and it was found she apparently did weird torture porn, and my avatar is from one of those videos. I think. Could be completely wrong about all of that. Have fun going down this rabbit hole.

Zuranthium
06-09-2021, 05:06 AM

This is completely accurate, and also GM's weren't supposed to intervene anyway before the Play Nice Policy. The game world was open for the players to do whatever they wanted with it, unless it was some kind of exploit. There was no such thing as kill stealing, except in the minds of players who wanted to view it that way (which the majority did, to be fair, but it was absolutely NOT against the game rules).

cd288
06-09-2021, 09:23 AM
This is completely accurate, and also GM's weren't supposed to intervene anyway before the Play Nice Policy. The game world was open for the players to do whatever they wanted with it, unless it was some kind of exploit. There was no such thing as kill stealing, except in the minds of players who wanted to view it that way (which the majority did, to be fair, but it was absolutely NOT against the game rules).

Well of course KSing out of sight of a GM was never punished. We couldn’t punish things we couldn’t prove. That’s like saying if no one sees you rob a bank you can get away with it. Stating the obvious. That doesn’t mean we didn’t punish people for it if we could catch them doing it or prove it (ex. They said something in chat about doing it (we had access to anything anyone ever typed)).

The PnP came in shortly after launch. It wasn’t some extended period of time where people could just do whatever they wanted.

Zuranthium
06-10-2021, 02:02 AM
The PnP came in shortly after launch. It wasn’t some extended period of time where people could just do whatever they wanted.

No, the Play Nice Policy didn't happen until a year after launch. There absolutely WAS an extended period of time where people could do whatever they wanted, unless it was considered an exploit or extreme harassment. Social constructs often dictated that people would respect established "camps", but it was completely allowed to "Kill Steal" as much as you wanted, or to create trains. This is a game where Rogues were allowed to steal from other players. All of these various things made the game much more interesting.

Old_PVP
06-10-2021, 04:24 PM
No, the Play Nice Policy didn't happen until a year after launch. There absolutely WAS an extended period of time where people could do whatever they wanted, unless it was considered an exploit or extreme harassment. Social constructs often dictated that people would respect established "camps", but it was completely allowed to "Kill Steal" as much as you wanted, or to create trains. This is a game where Rogues were allowed to steal from other players. All of these various things made the game much more interesting.

I can testify to that. All of this was allowed on oldschool Rallos Zek and no action would be taken against you. Back in those days players frowned upon other players that killed their own race too, and would label you as a "Kinslayer". Other random PKing was hugely frowned upon and you would become blacklisted by the big guilds. There were a lot of unspoken "player rules" which weren't actually official rules. Ninja looting phat lootz from mobs, killing your own group member and stealing a piece of gear... etc. All of this made you a hated member of society, but it wasn't illegal.

Jibartik
06-10-2021, 04:44 PM
not at all what I expected haha

Baler
06-10-2021, 04:49 PM
@Old_PVP I like your UO avatar!
https://www.project1999.com/forums/image.php?u=26729&dateline=1622758022

Old_PVP
06-10-2021, 08:46 PM
Haha, likewise!

The much-dreaded, often seen... UO ghost. ;)

https://www.project1999.com/forums/image.php?u=114303&dateline=1622791832&type=thumb

cd288
06-10-2021, 10:04 PM

I can’t recall the exact date it was put in but it was definitely before a year because the initial version (or at least a version of customer service guidelines to ensure consistent rulings by all GMs on player issues - so essentially a PnP) was in place by the time the first Plane opened. So that’s less than a year from launch.

I want to say it was like 7 or maybe 8 months max post launch? Before that it depended on the GMs of your server. Everyone was making different rulings on different things depending on the server and it was a disaster so CSR was quickly asked to get together and come up with guidelines and follow them across all servers.

Bisonzabi
06-10-2021, 10:45 PM
It's almost as if this is a 22 year old game that most people playing know in the back of their hands on practically every minor detail. Also, not all content is equal. We know going to Splitpaw isn't worth it as much as camping out Guk, Mistmoore, SolA, Unrest ect.
If you really want to play it like it was 1999, get a crowd of people, and bludgeon your heads so hard you get amnesia so you can enjoy the game like its brand new and you don't know what to expect. Nostalgia can only take you so far.

Sotaris
06-13-2021, 05:48 AM
Memory is a bit hazy. I want to say she was some kind of anthropology student on a research trip to Africa possibly? This is her, and there are some other pictures of her topless with tribal folk that went viral. She was of course doxxed and it was found she apparently did weird torture porn, and my avatar is from one of those videos. I think. Could be completely wrong about all of that. Have fun going down this rabbit hole.

Classic internet.

Sotaris
06-13-2021, 05:50 AM
I don't think this is accurate, or it depended on the CSR that you talked to.

On live I shared my login with guild officers to use my druid for mobilization when I wasn't online. One officer gave the login to another person who stripped my account, deathlooped my druid from 60 to like 42 and changed the PW. I called in to recover, said someone I shared info with changed the PW on me and they reset my PW and restored everything. Took like 5 days for a senior GM to get to me though.

Edit: this occurred in Luclin era

They changed policy eventually, because it was impossible to police as widely as it happened. But it was unequivocally against the rules to account share in 1999/2000. I distinctly remember keeping it hush hush. Maybe 1 GM had a different rule than another, but it WAS against the EULA.

Sotaris
06-13-2021, 05:52 AM
It's almost as if this is a 22 year old game that most people playing know in the back of their hands on practically every minor detail. Also, not all content is equal. We know going to Splitpaw isn't worth it as much as camping out Guk, Mistmoore, SolA, Unrest ect.
If you really want to play it like it was 1999, get a crowd of people, and bludgeon your heads so hard you get amnesia so you can enjoy the game like its brand new and you don't know what to expect. Nostalgia can only take you so far.

I will say, the random loot that Mischief has done, has done a great job at making a few aspects of the game feel more like classic. I kinda wish it was p99 that had done it, and not TLP with shitty modern graphics and DBG.