PDA

View Full Version : Raiding end game content

Shac
04-29-2021, 12:29 PM
When a new server launches what are some of the things that people that raid end game content do before average players?

I've never been able to raid end game on Project 1999

Fammaden
04-29-2021, 12:43 PM
Level up.

unsunghero
04-29-2021, 04:13 PM
Quit their jobs

Baler
04-29-2021, 04:35 PM
Level up
Resist Gear (fresh server, the guild all pitches in to 1 or 2 jewellery crafters to make resist gear)
Perma-camp raid clickies
Farm a boat load of ice giant toes

drackgon
04-29-2021, 07:07 PM
level up. u dont need 2 quit ur job. plenty of peeps do raiding with a job.

Swish
04-29-2021, 10:39 PM
Once you get into the 50s its probably a good time to join a raiding guild if its something you want to experience. There's casual ones out there, that's probably the best place to start.

drackgon
04-30-2021, 07:01 AM
Gathered Might probably most chill raiding guild on green. <3

Jimjam
04-30-2021, 07:08 AM

True for an established server. On a new server a lot of people book in a bunch of time off to try get 'ahead of the curve'. Maybe not a necessity, but a popular enough option.

drackgon
04-30-2021, 09:31 AM
Taking a week off or 2. Is a smart choice and allows you to get set up raiding/cash camps early on for new servers.
Do research. Its not classic but wiki is there and so is class forums. Find out your class(s) you wish to play. And plan ahead. Ie gear/quest/leveling areas.
Don't waste time with stuff like professions early on. There are others for that, focus on leveling, and picking up gear as you do. On green most of us hit server first in cloth/bronze/banded.
Get friends, to level with/farm with. Its much easier 2 find a few other like minded peeps who wanna get ahead and stick with them.
Finally don't play a druid. Focus on viable great OP classes Enchanter/necro/cleric/Monk/mage are go 2 smart choices. These guys will get ahead of the rest by a long shot.

Abukii
04-30-2021, 11:07 AM
Join a casual guild then cry about a hardcore guild getting all the loot.

tadkins
04-30-2021, 05:47 PM
I've never been able to raid end game on Project 1999
Same here. I'd love to see a raid one of these days but I need to get over my chronic rerolling problem, and actually get a character into that range. I've probably done it literally a hundred times on Green thus far lols.

Finally don't play a druid.

What's wrong with druids? I was told they were plenty viable in raids.

UrkTheSlayer
04-30-2021, 06:59 PM
Just get to 50 and apply to a guild: send tells to group with them during your application process. Even if you suck at the game and your class they will call you out and give you constructive criticism- if you don’t listen you’re not going to get guided and your only raids will be open naggy/vox raids so don’t level past 52.

UrkTheSlayer
04-30-2021, 07:15 PM
Same here. I'd love to see a raid one of these days but I need to get over my chronic rerolling problem, and actually get a character into that range. I've probably done it literally a hundred times on Green thus far lols.

What's wrong with druids? I was told they were plenty viable in raids.

Stop rerolling and get your fav full caster(preferably not necro/Druid because they’re most abundant and also they’re a Jack of all trades, master of one that isn’t useless but it’s not priority dps cause everyone’s Druid/necro seat is already taken due to the popularity of those classes. Why: necros and Druids are good solers while lfg so they’re kinda the easiest to level without turbulence. Necros are #1 dots and Druids are #1 snare) to 60 so you can attend raids to rack up dkp and farm gear for your alts in the free time.

If your favorite class to play is a Druid or a necro, do that. What’s most important is that you play a class you enjoy the play style of. IMHO most people who main a Druid or necro wanted to play either a ranger or sk but main a Druid/Necro out of circumstance.

tadkins
04-30-2021, 07:23 PM
Stop rerolling and get your fav full caster(preferably not necro/Druid because they’re most abundant and also they’re a Jack of all trades, master of one that isn’t useless but it’s not priority dps cause everyone’s Druid/necro seat is already taken due to the popularity of those classes. Why: necros and Druids are good solers while lfg so they’re kinda the easiest to level without turbulence. Necros are #1 dots and Druids are #1 snare) to 60 so you can attend raids to rack up dkp and farm gear for your alts in the free time.

If your favorite class to play is a Druid or a necro, do that. What’s most important is that you play a class you enjoy the play style of. IMHO most people who main a Druid or necro wanted to play either a ranger or sk but main a Druid/Necro out of circumstance.

The rerolling is just something I'm finding hard to help, been trying to find the perfect class that I can click with forever. I'd go, play a class for a few days to a month, decide to try something else, go to EC to sell my gear and buy new gear, and that's been my cycle since the beginning of Green, lols. I'm up to wheeling and dealing about 10k worth of stuff by now.

Druid was one of those classes I did consider for a while. It's got a lot going for it, it's fun, and very useful out in the world. What turned me off though was the sheer number of them and the fact that they can't really go into Neriak, my favorite city in the game. But I did hear that they do have their uses in raids, my only real concern was getting a spot due to the number of them out there.

Right now I'm playing an enchanter, but I'm finding it difficult at the moment and my brain is already screaming at me to stop and find something else to play.

UrkTheSlayer
04-30-2021, 07:41 PM
The rerolling is just something I'm finding hard to help, been trying to find the perfect class that I can click with forever. I'd go, play a class for a few days to a month, decide to try something else, go to EC to sell my gear and buy new gear, and that's been my cycle since the beginning of Green, lols. I'm up to wheeling and dealing about 10k worth of stuff by now.

Druid was one of those classes I did consider for a while. It's got a lot going for it, it's fun, and very useful out in the world. What turned me off though was the sheer number of them and the fact that they can't really go into Neriak, my favorite city in the game. But I did hear that they do have their uses in raids, my only real concern was getting a spot due to the number of them out there.

Right now I'm playing an enchanter, but I'm finding it difficult at the moment and my brain is already screaming at me to stop and find something else to play.

Not trying to preach too much cause I’m just returning myself: but a lot feels the same as classic. 10k plat is a lot but it’s not the same currency as the dkp you need for end game gear.

I’m probably still gonna have a piece or two of cloth when I’m 50: getting gear as you go is much more rewarding than what I remember of the insanity of liquidating my current main to peewee twink my new roll.

I’ve been in that cycle as a kid playing, rerolling and liquidating my current main for my reroll. It’s a tortuous cycle and I hope you get out of it. Maybe try making a new toon and not transferring any items to it and just playing it from the ground up.

UrkTheSlayer
04-30-2021, 07:46 PM
/toggleinspect off and think about the game and how it works and less about your pixel fashion show. That’s how I play and that’s my advice.

UrkTheSlayer
04-30-2021, 07:58 PM
From what I remember of my experience:

You roll a new character with 5-20k gear and it’s great untill 20’s and 30’s when the gear catches up to the mobs and you realize it was just nice to stroll on easy street and maybe another class will ring with you- and you start all over with the liquidating and acquiring the gear to retwink: you spend uncounted hours in ec that easily could have been a few levels even if you were soloing as a rogue. Then you realize how many classes and toons before this you’ve spent hours in ec retwinking new toons and you wonder:

“If I would have just stuck to one character I would be 60 and half atleast 3 alts with 10k gear”

Idk man that’s just my perspective, hope it helps you shake the lead out of your boots

tadkins
04-30-2021, 08:10 PM
Not trying to preach too much cause I’m just returning myself: but a lot feels the same as classic. 10k plat is a lot but it’s not the same currency as the dkp you need for end game gear.

I’m probably still gonna have a piece or two of cloth when I’m 50: getting gear as you go is much more rewarding than what I remember of the insanity of liquidating my current main to peewee twink my new roll.

I’ve been in that cycle as a kid playing, rerolling and liquidating my current main for my reroll. It’s a tortuous cycle and I hope you get out of it. Maybe try making a new toon and not transferring any items to it and just playing it from the ground up.

I've never really figured out how to get gear on my own. Say I was a warrior at level 30 or so trying to camp this guy (https://wiki.project1999.com/Grazhak_the_Berserker) trying to get this thing (https://wiki.project1999.com/Mithril_Plated_Girth). How does one convince people to stay with you at the camp, or come help you once it does spawn before someone else comes by to snipe him?

The only way I really know how to gear is to take an overleveled mage to a city with guards, kill guards, sell weapons, buy gear from the tunnel. I'm doing the best I can in this game but it's all I really know how to do at the moment. At the same time trying to find that race/class/deity combo I can really sit down and click with. It's seriously difficult right now.

UrkTheSlayer
04-30-2021, 08:48 PM
IMHO warrior is hard: all the melees are hard to main without gear They can’t really solo besides monk and monk has a hard slow time too. That’s why I said main a caster, casters don’t really need gear. All casters 50+ can take mid lvl gear drops and farm a set of ro gear, crafted for warriors, for your warrior alt you might switch to your main one day.

I have two eyes stems for crafted bracers if you want them: I’ll be on in an hour or two. All you need is two 108pp sapphires from a vendor and you can have two crafted bracers for your warrior.

tadkins
04-30-2021, 08:54 PM
IMHO warrior is hard: all the melees are hard to main without gear They can’t really solo besides monk and monk has a hard slow time too. That’s why I said main a caster, casters don’t really need gear. All casters 50+ can take mid lvl gear drops and farm a set of ro gear, crafted for warriors, for your warrior alt you might switch to your main one day.

I have two eyes stems for crafted bracers if you want them: I’ll be on in an hour or two. All you need is two 108pp sapphires from a vendor and you can have two crafted bracers for your warrior.

Well no, I don't have a warrior. I have to play something with a little bit of soloability. I have no friends in this game. I was just wondering how a warrior would end up doing that. I struggle to get to mobs as it is without the rest of the zone salivating to grab it before I could, and this is with a 45 mage by myself. I can't imagine how tough it is for a class that relies on having cooperative people at their back and call, like a warrior. I'm dealing with that right now trying to camp Quid Rilstone.

Mage itself is one I was considering maining at one point, and it is in fact my highest level character at the moment, but I worry about my soloability later on and I worry about being able to get into a raid, because how many mod rod vendors does a raid need? I still use him to farm guards and try to get gear for all the other characters I've tried and failed with though.

cd288
04-30-2021, 09:06 PM
There’s no raid size cap so I wouldn’t worry about that

UrkTheSlayer
04-30-2021, 09:21 PM
Well no, I don't have a warrior. I have to play something with a little bit of soloability. I have no friends in this game. I was just wondering how a warrior would end up doing that. I struggle to get to mobs as it is without the rest of the zone salivating to grab it before I could, and this is with a 45 mage by myself. I can't imagine how tough it is for a class that relies on having cooperative people at their back and call, like a warrior. I'm dealing with that right now trying to camp Quid Rilstone.

Mage itself is one I was considering maining at one point, and it is in fact my highest level character at the moment, but I worry about my soloability later on and I worry about being able to get into a raid, because how many mod rod vendors does a raid need? I still use him to farm guards and try to get gear for all the other characters I've tried and failed with though.

Idk what to say man, be nice and thankful, fair and courteous. If you do those things you’ll make friends I think. I’ll be your friend you can have those eyestalks for free if you want to main a warrior.

I’m not the kinda friend that’s always gonna camp pixels with you. Till we’re 60 then that’s what you do.

unsunghero
04-30-2021, 09:22 PM
Isn’t the raid scene on p99 easy oversimplified fights spent mostly staring at an empty space for hours then killing a dragon in 20 seconds?

Pass, I’ll take re-rolling and twinking alts any day

tadkins
04-30-2021, 09:37 PM
Idk what to say man, be nice and thankful, fair and courteous. If you do those things you’ll make friends I think. I’ll be your friend you can have those eyestalks for free if you want to main a warrior.

I’m not the kinda friend that’s always gonna camp pixels with you. Till we’re 60 then that’s what you do.

I've done all that, don't think I've ever really majorly pissed anyone off in this game at least, but I dunno, I just don't seem to be getting those connections. I even offered to help someone last night with a few mobs they needed in Rathe Mtns.

Isn’t the raid scene on p99 easy oversimplified fights spent mostly staring at an empty space for hours then killing a dragon in 20 seconds?

Pass, I’ll take re-rolling and twinking alts any day

It's still something I'd love to experience one day, as soon as I figure out what I want to play.

Vizax_Xaziv
04-30-2021, 09:52 PM

Pretty much anyone can do the non-competitive stuff. Planar raids, Karl/SS/Thurg quest armor. Prolly VP eventually.

If you want the real high end stuff though that's like playing a different game entirely.

starkind
04-30-2021, 11:52 PM
What do u enjoy?

Don't worry about endgame.

If u like helping newbs, clr, dru, shm, ench, bard

If like having a pet with little downtime go necro, especially if u like the undead thing

Pulling? Monk, bard, rnger.

Tanking? Pally.

Dps? War, rogue, monk.

Exploring? Ench, rogue.

Afk and booking? Doing yoga, chores? Wizard. Also droughts & lures r desirable.

Cc... any class with root, stun, or mez. Or even clr.

Eventually. You'll get there. Don't worry about being needed. Just keep going. On the class u like.

Want to be a human monk preaching the ways of quellious, door it!

U seem to like power. So I would suggest sticking with ur mage. At least till 60. U can solo outdoors easily forever. Don't liquidate ur gear if u reroll, just farm a newb weapon and some belts and start at lvl 12 nakedish. Heck, Want to twink an sk? Grab a bone bladed claymore from befallen and some barbed leg, armplates, drop some ringmail or banded on a newbie and go have fun @ orc1.

UrkTheSlayer
05-01-2021, 12:18 AM
You already got the connection: we’re all here to slay dragons- go with that.

tadkins
05-01-2021, 12:50 AM
What do u enjoy?

Don't worry about endgame.

If u like helping newbs, clr, dru, shm, ench, bard

If like having a pet with little downtime go necro, especially if u like the undead thing

Pulling? Monk, bard, rnger.

Tanking? Pally.

Dps? War, rogue, monk.

Exploring? Ench, rogue.

Afk and booking? Doing yoga, chores? Wizard. Also droughts & lures r desirable.

Cc... any class with root, stun, or mez. Or even clr.

Eventually. You'll get there. Don't worry about being needed. Just keep going. On the class u like.

Want to be a human monk preaching the ways of quellious, door it!

U seem to like power. So I would suggest sticking with ur mage. At least till 60. U can solo outdoors easily forever. Don't liquidate ur gear if u reroll, just farm a newb weapon and some belts and start at lvl 12 nakedish. Heck, Want to twink an sk? Grab a bone bladed claymore from befallen and some barbed leg, armplates, drop some ringmail or banded on a newbie and go have fun @ orc1.

So to sum up my thoughts on all the classes thoughout each reroll I've done.

Bard: Probably the one class I really haven't tried. The skill it seems to require kind of scares me tbh. It does have quite a bit going for it though and can do almost anything.

Cleric: I like them, especially Innoruuk clerics. They have some pretty spell effects and I did relish the thought of people having to kiss my ass for rezzes later. :D I just worry about how much I'd really be able to do on my own. It is important, there will be those nights. They also don't seem to be great at travel; to get merely the basics (invis, sow, levitate) would be expensive as hell.

Druid: Has a lot I do like. Lots of travel, very useful outdoors. I am actually considering this one right now. Biggest downside is not being able to do much indoors and not being able to hang out in certain evil areas that I like.

Enchanter: Is also a class I like thematically, but skill-wise seems pretty daunting. The giant thread about that I have on the front page right now says it all. xD

Magician: I'm also considering sticking with this one. I only worry about my desirability in raids as mentioned, as well as their brutally punishing epic. I do dream of getting one of those one day and the epic difficulty is something I am taking into account with my choice. Which brings me to...

Monk: Easy epic, good at soloing, decent at getting around. I just don't really like iksar. I've tried getting into them but I'm just not really a fan of their flavor. I could go human, but knowing iksar exist I'd feel honestly pretty gimped, and I know that sitting there waiting to heal after every fight I'd curse myself not picking iksar.

Necromancer: I like the class, but again, see above. I would want to be a human or dark elf necromancer as Innoruuk is probably my favorite deity in the game, but while he's withering away from his lich spells I'd have to watch that iksar necromancer run by laughing.

Paladin: Heard they're not great soloers, would have many of the same issues as the cleric, and I wouldn't even get to hang out in my favorite evil places either. The silver lining was how unique they are (a /who all paladin count is showing 15 paladin players out of 747 players online right now lols) and how cool they look. Especially Erudite Paladins, with their plate robe look.

Ranger: Lot I like about them, even despite their reputation. A female wood elf ranger wearing full crystal chitin from Velious is one of the most badass looks ever. I worry about their ability to solo though. What good is tracking a rare if you can't really take it on?

Rogue: Easiest epic, great at exploring dungeons, simple and very effective roles in a raid. This one I'm strongly considering too. It's their total reliance on groups that worries me the most.

Shadow Knight: Honestly, I think I would go SK right now if I could just figure out whether there was a reliable way to shrink for them. I'd feel compelled to go ogre, which isn't bad because ogres are pretty cool, but the thought of crouching through everything just to get through Neriak is a big turnoff.

Shaman: I've tried like hell to get into this class but I can't seem to pull myself out of the excrutiatingly painful low levels.

Warrior: Egh...

Wizard: Thematically I love this class, but my last attempt went badly. Was killing crag spiders in EK, got three resists in a row on one, tried to get help as I had literally nothing I could do to escape. The nearby group laughed at me as it ate me up, then they took the kill for themselves. I went to go sell my gear right then and there. Maybe I could try it again though, as I really did just have a bad day that day. The biggest concerns with the class is how helpless it is when caught with no mana, and how much it could really get done by itself beyond quad kiting in very specific areas.

So those are my experiences thus far. Sorry for the long-winded post here. Disclaimer, I didn't get many of them very high level, so my perceptions could be entirely wrong at higher levels. Please feel free to inform me there so I can make a more informed decision.

Darkwoo
05-01-2021, 01:02 AM
Join a casual guild then cry about a hardcore guild getting all the loot.

Not sure if you were around when the monthly open raids existed, but it was a really bad experience for several reasons. Open raids were cancelled, but now the end game is basically join Seal Team to participate in open raids (zerg) EVERY weekend. Except all the loot goes to the top 50 people in the guild who literally have no lives. These are people that wouldn't attend a family funeral if Trak's in window. If you want to experience end game content, you have to grind with/for these miserable people in a zerg-like setting where your class doesn't matter. When your class doesn't matter, what's the point in playing Everquest?

Player turnover is an issue on Green for this reason.

tadkins
05-01-2021, 01:06 AM
Not sure if you were around when the monthly open raids existed, but it was a really bad experience for several reasons. Open raids were cancelled, but now the end game is basically join Seal Team to participate in open raids (zerg) EVERY weekend. Except all the loot goes to the top 50 people in the guild who literally have no lives. These are people that wouldn't attend a family funeral if Trak's in window. If you want to experience end game content, you have to grind with/for these miserable people in a zerg-like setting where your class doesn't matter. When your class doesn't matter, what's the point in playing Everquest?

Player turnover is an issue on Green for this reason.

Is that all true? Damn...

I thought there were other, more inclusive and viable raiding guilds I could join later, as well as the open raids I heard about. Are those really not a thing anymore?

Maybe a swap to blue is in order but I'd hate to leave behind my box of abu-kar lol.

Tethler
05-01-2021, 01:41 AM
Is that all true? Damn...

I thought there were other, more inclusive and viable raiding guilds I could join later, as well as the open raids I heard about. Are those really not a thing anymore?

Maybe a swap to blue is in order but I'd hate to leave behind my box of abu-kar lol.

There are plenty of other guilds raiding. ST takes down more targets than anyone else, but that doesn't mean that no one else kills anything.

starkind
05-01-2021, 01:56 AM
Tbh u can do dru naked.

And it's ez to hit 60 on any caster.

Dru get the ability to do some indoor farming.

Sounds like u should hang out grinding plst on ur mage till u got like 40k.

Idk de sk isn't that bad compared to ogre either.

Only ench, shm, necro can solo the hardest things.

Dru, pal, sk, rng. Wiz, mage can always progress tho.

I saw a cleric solo the general in kith for rogue epic with puppet strings tho. Ull be able to progress to 50 on one, and still kill stuff ocasionally slowly on lazy bored nights.

EQ is a grp game. Even shm, necr, ench benefit from grps and aren't godlike prior to gearing. Ya either grp and nolife thi game to hit 60 in a month.

Or ya dedicate 1 day a week to grping. And do it in 4 months.

Or u do whatever u want chill out and kill a mob once per hr and in a year or two any class can be 60.

The above posters are right about raiding. If you can stay at the keyboard for 72 hrs straight. It doesn't matter what class u play.

Big pros of being a clr or war, mnk, rogue is guaranteed acceptance in most grps or any raid force.

Mages, druids, necros, ench, shm. Are what ppl play to feed plat and droppables to their alts.

Highly recommend you give that druid a try as they are versatile and desirable in grps upto 40. And by lvl 14 u can charm animals. Later on u can quad kite. Great for those nights u can find a grp. Or don't want to. Or just want to kill every 30 mins while studying.

If u want to raid. ASAP. Get gud on a clr. Learn to root. Pull. Stun. Cc. Ch. And everyone will beg to recruit u. You'll ruin ur life grping 12+ hrs a day, then raiding batphones at 3am. But hey. You'll see those big mobs die and have tons of dkp.

starkind
05-01-2021, 02:04 AM
Sounds like OP needs good solo ability and struggles with having any downtime.

Necro highhhhhly rated. U don't have to be iksar. Cuz u rly won't ever need to med. Next up ench. Then bard. All three classes are going to require game knowledge tho.

Druid can be efficiently leveled. Go to kedge, permafrost. OT, burning woods,, Charm. Get a clicky nuke stick and instantly jump from 45-55 in a few nights... ur gonna have to compete for mobs tho.

On green grping is just so much simpler. And u can AFK lvl any caster on random mobs out in the middle of no were but it's always better to grp if ur in a hurry.

Bards can level the fastest. Also without much more than some drum and lute, like total 1kp investment.

starkind
05-01-2021, 02:13 AM
U will probably always burn out if u never learn to kill a single mob then go afk for an hr and do something else productive with ur life. This game isn't a replacement for life. Just something to kill time with and occasionally do RP esque/bow/waves

tadkins
05-01-2021, 02:25 AM
EQ is a grp game.

I am aware, but what does one do if they don't have any friends and can't get into any groups?

I remember early on in Green, my first character was a wizard. I got him to level 24 or so. I spent literally an entire day running across the world trying to get into a group. First went to Mistmoore, then Unrest, then Upper Guk, Lake Rathe, South Karana, Highkeep, and then Permafrost to /ooc 24 Wizard LFG. Every single time, ignored. It was depressing, it was lonely, and it caused me to give up for a while. I came back about a couple weeks later, deleted the wizard and rolled a mage. I had hoped it would make me more appealing to groups but I also figured it would be easier to solo with one when necessary too.

Trying to find groups and trying to find help for much of anything is daunting. When I considered trying a bard, I knew they'd be able to get a mask that turns them into a dark elf. But I also dreaded the thought of trying to get people to help me go in there to camp it. Because my experiences of trying to get people to help me and getting rejected have kind of left me traumatized in a sense. So when I do try to think of something to play, I really do take into account how much they're able to solo, because I am used to trying to do as much as possible on my own.

tadkins
05-01-2021, 02:27 AM
U will probably always burn out if u never learn to kill a single mob then go afk for an hr and do something else productive with ur life. This game isn't a replacement for life. Just something to kill time with and occasionally do RP esque/bow/waves

Yeah I was doing that today with the orc in Rathe Mtns who drops the mithril girdle. I don't really need it or anything, but it's a very predictable 2 hour spawn. I was sitting there the whole time AFK for most of it as I'm still trying to figure out what I actually want to play.

I consider myself a pretty patient person and I actually found I love doing things like that. I helped my sister get a ghoulbane the other day, camping my mage in the shin lord's room with a predictable 16 minute repeating timer. Just having the freedom to get up when needed and for the most part, profiting while sitting on my butt is pretty nice. xD

Tethler
05-01-2021, 02:30 AM
I am aware, but what does one do if they don't have any friends and can't get into any groups?

I remember early on in Green, my first character was a wizard. I got him to level 24 or so. I spent literally an entire day running across the world trying to get into a group. First went to Mistmoore, then Unrest, then Upper Guk, Lake Rathe, South Karana, Highkeep, and then Permafrost to /ooc 24 Wizard LFG. Every single time, ignored. It was depressing, it was lonely, and it caused me to give up for a while. I came back about a couple weeks later, deleted the wizard and rolled a mage. I had hoped it would make me more appealing to groups but I also figured it would be easier to solo with one when necessary too.

Trying to find groups and trying to find help for much of anything is daunting. When I considered trying a bard, I knew they'd be able to get a mask that turns them into a dark elf. But I also dreaded the thought of trying to get people to help me go in there to camp it. Because my experiences of trying to get people to help me and getting rejected have kind of left me traumatized in a sense. So when I do try to think of something to play, I really do take into account how much they're able to solo, because I am used to trying to do as much as possible on my own.

If you are playing a less desirable grouping class, get in the habit of forming a group yourself. Like, go to a zone and call a camp check. If a camp is open that you want, do a /w all lfg 20 28 (or whatever level range you're aiming for) and send tells to people. My green main is a ranger. I didn't often have trouble finding groups, but when I did, I formed my own.

starkind
05-01-2021, 02:34 AM

Join a guild.

Hang out in VOIP on discord.

As for getting the mask just go down to ass/sup in lguk. There's guaranteed to be a grp there, if not send tells out to any 40+ healers u see lfg.

Good grps and veterans hang out in discord voice. That's the place to make friends.

If that's truly the case, you're definitely a necromancer. Good luck and Brad Bless u.

starkind
05-01-2021, 02:36 AM
When I wanted to grp on my many wizards, I'd just go hang out at the camps I was in range for. Or /who all mages, enchanters, druids, rogues, rangers, other wizards or anyone else willing/able to duo. /tell, hey let's start a grp.

I started many x3 wizard grps. Lotsa fun lol. Inevitably some necro or mage would show up, get jelly, and try to join.

Wizards, at 34, with 220 int. And clickies are quadding machines. So ez to hit 55+

55-60 is a bit slow unless u can get to one of the few good quad camps and have the gear to like, hold down sentient armor in WL.

tadkins
05-01-2021, 02:42 AM
If you are playing a less desirable grouping class, get in the habit of forming a group yourself. Like, go to a zone and call a camp check. If a camp is open that you want, do a /w all lfg 20 28 (or whatever level range you're aiming for) and send tells to people. My green main is a ranger. I didn't often have trouble finding groups, but when I did, I formed my own.

I've gotten similar advice before, but to be honest every time I think about trying to sit down and organize something like that, I start to get nervous and I get headaches. The thought of whispering random people from the other side of the world, not knowing how they're going to react, and then trying to get them to where you are and together is genuinely pretty hard.

Like, I want to, it's just...very nervewracking, hehe.

Join a guild.

Hang out in VOIP on discord.

As for getting the mask just go down to ass/sup in lguk. There's guaranteed to be a grp there, if not send tells out to any 40+ healers u see lfg.

Good grps and veterans hang out in discord voice. That's the place to make friends.
I figured once I got a character to 40+ and actually picked one to stay as a main, I could start whispering guilds and seeing if I could join one. Admittedly I'm kind of introverted so it's hard to just hang out in voice chat. A lot of the time I'd rather just listen to music hehe.

Is there always a group down there? I mostly see lower guk pretty empty a lot of the time, maybe 5 people at the most. I didn't think that camp was very popular.

If that's truly the case, you're definitely a necromancer. Good luck and Brad Bless u.
Maybe I am, hehe. How noticable is the difference between iksar and another race though?

I actually am tempted to give wizard another shot too. I genuinely like the class from a thematic standpoint.

Tethler
05-01-2021, 02:47 AM
I've gotten similar advice before, but to be honest every time I think about trying to sit down and organize something like that, I start to get nervous and I get headaches. The thought of whispering random people from the other side of the world, not knowing how they're going to react, and then trying to get them to where you are and together is genuinely pretty hard.

Like, I want to, it's just...very nervewracking, hehe.

The worst that's gonna happen is they say no. You don't need to form a full group either. The best xp you'll find is gonna be from duos/trios anyway.

starkind
05-01-2021, 02:49 AM
Well almost garanteed 1 of those five is camping thick banded belt or burlap bag, which is same as mask guy. U must play during off hours.

Most times the mask rots, u can just loot it.

If you're that introverted, you're going to have a hard time 45+ and raiding. The kneckbeards here have mandatory voice chat and batphones, so ur cell gets pinged telling u where to go to mobilize for targets.

I recommend. A necromancer. On blue.

Maybe a shm.

Or dru.

But. Necro will be powerful with only lvls and a few relatively cheep spells.

Tethler
05-01-2021, 02:52 AM
Well almost garanteed 1 of those five is camping thick banded belt or burlap bag, which is same as mask guy. U must play during off hours.

Most times the mask rots, u can just loot it.

If you're that introverted, you're going to have a hard time 45+ and raiding. The kneckbeards here have mandatory voice chat and batphones, so ur cell gets pinged telling u where to go to mobilize for targets.

I recommend. A necromancer. On blue.

To be fair, you usually only have to be present to listen to raid directions. No need to talk.

starkind
05-01-2021, 02:54 AM
To be fair, you usually only have to be present to listen to raid directions. No need to talk.

Yrah. I got a lot of grp invites in wow just saying hiiii. And then I am usually quiet the rest of the time unless someone was asking for strats with a dungeon.

I am more talkative in EQ simply cuz it requires almost no focus.

tadkins
05-01-2021, 03:01 AM
The worst that's gonna happen is they say no. You don't need to form a full group either. The best xp you'll find is gonna be from duos/trios anyway.

True. I suppose the other issue too is that I actually don't know the dungeons that well. It's why I always sought out groups for them. For instance, the only two camps I know of in Mistmoore are the pond and the graveyard. I'd love to take or join a group into the actual castle itself one of these days.

I've raided in WoW before. I can get into voice chat and listen to directions when it comes down to business. I'm just not the type of person to hang out there during off hours and listen to folks talk about random stuff.

Jimjam
05-01-2021, 03:26 AM

TBH, not really interested in listening to the potty mouth some of the instructions come from. All the swears in voice made raiding something I'm unable to suffer.

starkind
05-01-2021, 03:32 AM
Well it's helpful for making friends that will explain how to get up to different camps n stuff. U probably don't have to talk a lot. Just make ur presence know.

I noticed on p99 the skill requirements are higher. Back on live ppl would run to get me on my cleric and help me.

On p99 I carry a plethora of invis pots, shm ivu pots (instant!), pumice stones, sow pots etc.. and have a to know my way around.

I'd say for learning dungeons. Enchanters overtake necros. But a rly twinked monk or decently geared necro has some ability. Those classes are pretty manuverable. SK too. But u won't be soloing frenzy.

Cleric with good charisma and clicky atone can ninja their way around, but that is pretty advanced.

Back in vanillllla classic... I chilled out in the back of MM with a 45 ranger who could solo who showed me the ropes. I soloed hooded black cloak guy on my druid.

And, I camped CT crusaders on my wizard invising around in CT at 40+

Sooo. Like. With root, potions, and camping agro u have some options.

Druids won't be killing frenzy without kunark clickies really.

Anyway. That's pretty much all I can share. Necromancer solo in guk taught me a lot. I also soloed my clerics a lot in guk. Kiled the cavalier, but not the magi or lord or frenzy sentinel on clr. Probably could have done the scribe ez.

If you try ench. Seriously don't worry about dying so much just bind somewhere safe close by and get back to charm killing. It's so much APM I don't recommend tho.

starkind
05-01-2021, 03:33 AM
TBH, not really interested in listening to the potty mouth some of the instructions come from. All the swears in voice made raiding something I'm unable to suffer.

U can always mute.

Big irony is voip isn't really 1999 era appropriate and u don't even need it to raid in wow either. But yeah. Not really caring for the vocalized buttslapping majority either.

tadkins
05-01-2021, 03:51 AM
I am genuinely considering Rogue right now. I know it's not the best solo class, far from it, but it's probably one of the best groupers, and there are *some* things I could do solo on slow nights, right? Even if I'm just stabbing some greens for cash and whatnot.

Easy epic, valuable in groups/raids, can explore everywhere and learn the layouts of all the dungeons in the game. I can pick a neutral/good race, grab a dark elf mask, and utilize all the cities in the game as well. Rogue really does have a lot I'm after in a class.

Jimjam
05-01-2021, 04:09 AM
U can always mute.

Not when the ones giving the instructions are the ones with the potty mouth. Winning move is not to play?

starkind
05-01-2021, 04:26 AM
I am genuinely considering Rogue right now. I know it's not the best solo class, far from it, but it's probably one of the best groupers, and there are *some* things I could do solo on slow nights, right? Even if I'm just stabbing some greens for cash and whatnot.

Easy epic, valuable in groups/raids, can explore everywhere and learn the layouts of all the dungeons in the game. I can pick a neutral/good race, grab a dark elf mask, and utilize all the cities in the game as well. Rogue really does have a lot I'm after in a class.

Yeah, ull still want invis pots, clickies. But u can farm and sell in a few dungeons. And pick pockets us fun. U won't be making 1k a night but 200-500p is reasonable. Baking and pottery is fun :p Rogue is near to my heart because it is such a chill class. I think you'll be able to get away with intimidating spectres and giant's. At some point.

Not when the ones giving the instructions are the ones with the potty mouth. Winning move is not to play?
So rogue on blue is about to start raiding grifawns! Pray for her no sneaky druids buff them. NpC or otherwise. :eek: :o :p

Jimjam
05-01-2021, 05:00 AM
Rogue are an interesting class as they are one of few with the ability to boost the accuracy of their group’s attacks without relying on a proc.

tadkins
05-01-2021, 05:19 AM
Yeah, ull still want invis pots, clickies. But u can farm and sell in a few dungeons. And pick pockets us fun. U won't be making 1k a night but 200-500p is reasonable. Baking and pottery is fun :p Rogue is near to my heart because it is such a chill class. I think you'll be able to get away with intimidating spectres and giant's. At some point.

For sure. I think I'll always be able to find something to do on a rogue, even if it's not always involving killing. It should be fun.

I'm just sitting here trying to decide on a name and race, lol.

Rogue are an interesting class as they are one of few with the ability to boost the accuracy of their group’s attacks without relying on a proc.

That's pretty cool. :) Can you elaborate?

Jimjam
05-01-2021, 05:36 AM
As Stark talked around, rogues are not bad at farming low level components, if you are into that kind of thing and doing trade skills, then you can decrease a mob's agility (so avoidance, and therefore by proxy the group's accuracy) using the Dizzy (https://wiki.project1999.com/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=Dizzy&fulltext=Search) line of poisons.

Might not be appealing to your play style, but figured was worth pointing out.

tadkins
05-01-2021, 05:54 AM
As Stark talked around, rogues are not bad at farming low level components, if you are into that kind of thing and doing trade skills, then you can decrease a mob's agility (so avoidance, and therefore by proxy the group's accuracy) using the Dizzy (https://wiki.project1999.com/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=Dizzy&fulltext=Search) line of poisons.

Might not be appealing to your play style, but figured was worth pointing out.
Ah thank you.

I actually like doing that sort of thing, going off to farm low level stuff for faction, tradeskills, etc. I've spent days just running around the world merchant fishing and such. I'm always looking for excuses to do things that don't involve grinding for exp. xD

unsunghero
05-01-2021, 12:14 PM
I am aware, but what does one do if they don't have any friends and can't get into any groups?.

I think the only way for that to happen would to have extremely odd play hours or just go out of one’s way to turn down group offers

I planned to never group to 50 on enc because I didn’t need to and didn’t want to have to share loot, I wanted to make the most money possible

But eventually I find myself solo’ing in an area where a group is and we are both pulling mobs from roughly the same area. Eventually the group messages “do you want to join?” And the unspoken part of that message is “or continue to fight us over mobs that aren’t a part of our specific camp?” So of course at that point I have 2 options: join or leave

I chose to join multiple times and of course the exp is better, albeit the loot isn’t. There’s always 1 group member who is a loot whore, I can spot. It is fun to be able to sit with the same charmed pet for hours doing 3x everyone’s dps tho. And of course group chat banter is a welcome break from the solitude

Tethler
05-01-2021, 12:20 PM
I planned to never group to 50 on enc because I didn’t need to and didn’t want to have to share loot

There’s always 1 group member who is a loot whore, I can spot.

lol

unsunghero
05-01-2021, 12:28 PM
lol

The loot whore isn’t me! Lol

It’s actually the opposite. I care about my rep so if anything I loot far less than everyone else

Most groups seem to do a round robin with auto split off and I’ll often watch the entire group each loot something 2x before I loot once. But there’s always 1-2 people who loot multiple things back to back, and it’s super noticeable. I don’t say anything because I’m generally a non-confrontational person about anything but politics lol

starkind
05-01-2021, 01:58 PM
why are u worried about loot if ur leveling in a grp, just ask for handouts like everyone else in *Antonica*

adruidarkly
05-01-2021, 02:09 PM
Quit life join with other life quitters and finally gloat over ones guilds accomplishments on forums and discord as a single source of selfish positivity in life.

unsunghero
05-01-2021, 02:37 PM
why are u worried about loot if ur leveling in a grp, just ask for handouts like everyone else in *Antonica*

Blue’s where the handouts are at IMO

I got all BiS non-planar stat gear for all slots, all spells to 50, and 3k banked on my first char at 38. Don’t need handouts. But the spots I choose to exp, and then assimilated into groups, are always spots with above average vendor trash and coins, so there’s always incentives for people to be greedy bitches and not follow the round robin. And then on the flip side there’s some people who never loot a single thing for an hour+. I assume these people are rich or just really nice or both. But there’s way more of the first kind

starkind
05-01-2021, 04:18 PM
ya i can down two dark blues at lvl 19 on my rogue on blue, she's got two velious 10dmg piercers and hero's bracers, and a smattering of tradeskill gear and split paw mask. I got 300p in my giant purse. That's on blue.

On green my rogue is a lot poorer, but suprisingly has a little better armor though because of the area she started out in and the availability of tradeskill materials and the generosity of high lvl players I helped out.

Snortles Chortles
05-01-2021, 05:04 PM
i hear a good strat is conducting a mass complaining campaign until non classic changes are implemented to get you to shut up

Nirgon
05-02-2021, 01:00 AM
Dangerously based

and it didn't "fix" anything lol whew

Arvan
05-02-2021, 01:23 AM
Find a good guild + make friends cause whats the point of playing if its no fun