PDA

View Full Version : Classic darkness is awesome

Izmael
12-16-2020, 06:29 PM
...or at least it would be, if it worked properly.

It either floods you with billions of lumens if you're near a bunch of people, like... on a raid, maybe? Or in the EC tunnel, making it unbearable to do anything but to find the darkest spot on a wall and zoom into it.

Or it gives you something like this.

https://i.imgur.com/Yi9L0gq.png

Oh by the way. This is on an iksar, supposedly having infravision.

Can we please have our old P99 back, before it has been infected with mandatory /dynlight?

Swish
12-16-2020, 06:54 PM
I liked target rings, can we have those?

Kief
12-16-2020, 07:02 PM
wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! lmao

Gustoo
12-16-2020, 07:03 PM
Is it really still so junky bad?

I played 1999 as a barbarian and it was dangerous at night but it wasn't major cripplage all the time.

Target rings were lame but I did regret learning to use spell sets literally days before they removed em from p99 just long enough to regret them going away.

Gustoo
12-16-2020, 07:05 PM
Can i see some screen shots from people that aren't bothered by the game looking terrible? Like maybe it looks fine for them and only bad for people that suck and can't figure it out like me and apparently the OP in this thread?

Or is everyone getting lumens blasted and just not worrying about it?

Swish
12-16-2020, 07:16 PM
Legit back in the day of classic UI + smaller monitors I played a dark elf because the ultravision reduced the strain on my eyes.

Gustoo
12-16-2020, 07:26 PM
For sure if I ever made a dark elf and saw ultravision I would have been a DE for life guy myself.

Izmael
12-16-2020, 07:29 PM
Infravision should allow you to be pretty comfortable at night. Nowhere near ultravision-level of course.

I played a dwarf back then and never had issues with seeing in the dark.

Brocode
12-16-2020, 07:35 PM
http://images.mmorpg.com/images/galleries/formatted/352010/f2281e18-fd51-4559-8b38-3ba77a1f5a91.jpg
https://assets-cdn.daybreakgames.com/uploads/dcsclient/000/000/108/481.jpg?v=1.0
https://youtu.be/F0ErchwGqR8?t=415

now p99 humans

https://www.al.com/resizer/KsZaj46Thx9ARTCiYaMEfX6kHiw=/1280x0/smart/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/advancelocal/NSDL77J3KJFZXCK3MFWAV7HMUE.JPG

Gustoo
12-16-2020, 07:35 PM
Yes I played infravision races too and never a problem at night at all. Dark but not stupid.

what race is the screenshot from?

I'm bothered by the way that LIGHT looks as much as the utter darkness.

Gustoo
12-16-2020, 07:37 PM
brocode that original tutorial got me so pumped.

Thanks for those solid screen shots though I can't tell what race they all are.

Gustoo
12-16-2020, 07:37 PM
I wonder if you can AFK in the tutorial till it turns dark.

Brocode
12-16-2020, 07:39 PM
I wonder if you can AFK in the tutorial till it turns dark.

thats a good question! but seemed like since graphic cards werent this good they dont go full dark, shrug people just wanted to make a left 4 dead game scene alike

DeathsSilkyMist
12-16-2020, 08:46 PM
The titanium client almost certainly has significantly different code for calculating lighting than the older client for that era. Without full source code for both titanium and the older client, it is probably impossible to get the code working as it originally did. The devs are probably doing a hacky work around to try and simulate the idea, but it will never be perfect. Get a light source and a method of casting/wearing ultravision.

BiG SiP
12-16-2020, 09:48 PM
neat they tried
pretty close really

Nexii
12-16-2020, 09:55 PM
Sorry you didn't pick dark elf

Swish
12-16-2020, 10:10 PM
EC with no equipped lightsource.

https://i.imgur.com/KRLOy8m.png

Gustoo
12-16-2020, 10:40 PM
Ya that ain’t right man

How about with a greater light stone?

I do remember a light stone being a total no brainer requirement for everyone who wasn’t a dark elf. But then good items were light sources and replaced the need. What I’m worried about is being blind and shitty regardless of light source.

Danth
12-17-2020, 12:39 AM
You can see tolerably well if you have a greater lightstone, well enough to be playable at least. Because of a glitch with respect to how light sources were implemented, increasing your far clip plane will also increase the effective radius of your lightsource. Human darkness during the darkest hours of the night (around 9 PM to 3 AM game time) was implemented in a non-classic manner using shaders so you can't bypass it using monitor gamma controls like you could in the original game. Ultravision is effectively classic because the old code was left in the client from years ago. Infravision is not; it's roughly similar brightness (ie, not very) but does not color MOBS red like it did in the original game because the code seems to have been removed.

Having lots of lightsources around or in zones that are light-colored to begin with it's still very bright and hard on the eyes. It gets bad at times in a place like Velketor's.

Danth

Babittle
12-17-2020, 12:41 AM
Will-o-wisp group lfm

Bardp1999
12-17-2020, 01:06 AM
WTS Greater Lightstone 20k

elwing
12-17-2020, 02:50 AM
Dat velktor zone line pull!

Seriously, darkness is fine, lightsource stacking is not...

kaev
12-17-2020, 03:12 AM
On live in 1999, you could run at night on a HUM/BAR/ERU with a GLS and never lose the path.

On p99 in 2020, you can run at night on a HUM/BAR/ERU with a GLS and have 0 chance of staying on the path unless you use the 100% :notclassic: scrollwheel 3rd person view at max distance behind your char, in which case you mostly can keep the path.

The lighting mechanism they use here on this bastardized client is not even close to the mechanics from the classic and velious clients back in the day.

Jibartik
12-17-2020, 03:23 AM
If you wanted perfect lighting, you'd all still be waiting for EQ classic.

charmcitysking
12-17-2020, 08:58 AM
sorry you didn't get ghoul assassin loot

Izmael
12-17-2020, 09:25 AM
what race is the screenshot from?

Iksar.

The problem isn't that /dynlight is broken. They did what they could and it's really not bad, for a lot of people. Some people have issues with /dynlight because of their GPUs, OS, whatever.

The problem is that these people can no longer disable /dynlight and are stuck with a barely playable game, at least in certain zones.

The solution would be to enable /dynlight again.

Fammaden
12-17-2020, 09:53 AM
The problem isn't the darkness, which is a pretty close approximation of classic, its the LIGHTS. The game is horrible with a bunch of geared players wearing light emitting stuff in one place. And Tunare help you if you are also in a bright zone light Highkeep, much less a pure white zone....which is anywhere with snow. You might hear a lot more complaints start coming out of green about this after Velious goes live.

elwing
12-17-2020, 10:02 AM
The most ridiculous is a raid at velk zone in... Pull some spiders for added fun

magnetaress
12-17-2020, 10:28 AM
Not really it should be optional. But I can deal with it.

Gustoo
12-17-2020, 12:21 PM
The problem isn't the darkness, which is a pretty close approximation of classic, its the LIGHTS. The game is horrible with a bunch of geared players wearing light emitting stuff in one place. And Tunare help you if you are also in a bright zone light Highkeep, much less a pure white zone....which is anywhere with snow. You might hear a lot more complaints start coming out of green about this after Velious goes live.

Good point.

For me it just made my game look like really trashbag style like EQ is just a straight up terrible game with bad bloom FX. I really wish there was an alternative like maybe GM's could just randomly instagib human / barb / erudites throughout their play life but everyone gets to have decent lighting.

mcoy
12-17-2020, 02:52 PM
Here's an album of images of a human monk (on Green) looking at the tunnel and the commonlands in front of the tunnel with a Greater Lightstone or a glowing stone band (or both) equipped. The icon boxes are open showing what items are in effect for each screenshot. These are all from 9PM in-game time.

https://imgur.com/a/tYBNrab

I don't have a lot of my old screenshots, but here's a Human Cleric in Velks during Luclin (with no light source):

https://imgur.com/jeFWC2W.jpg

I think the game was a lot darker than we all remember... I have a handful of other shots without lights (all luclin or beyond) and well:

https://imgur.com/IXkl1qN.jpg

Here's a classic one you can compare with the image on the wiki (granted with unknown vision type):

https://imgur.com/mukjhFH.jpg

vs wiki (unknown light):

https://wiki.project1999.com/images/Npc_jortreva_the_crusader.png

-Mcoy

douglas1999
12-17-2020, 03:02 PM
I have mixed feelings. Barbs and humans really were completely blind at night unless they had a torch or some other lightsource. I think the dynamic lighting system here does a great job of emulating that, and I think the "infravision" and "ultravision" simulations they use are also pretty accurate by my memory.

The insanely bright washed out walls and weird blue light making different armor types look weird when there are lots of people around (stand next to a shaman wearing totemic with a bright light source and they look either neon blue or neon green suddenly) I really don't dig that, and I doubt the devs do either, but they are working with what they have. If they could wave a magic wand and make everything 100% perfectly classic on the titanium client I'm sure they would, but certain things are hard coded into the titanium client and hacks, for lack of a better word, have to be made.

Jibartik
12-17-2020, 03:06 PM
A guy working on a full extraction of the original ever quest content managed to figure out how to extract the original vertex lighting.

https://i.imgur.com/gk9xgOS.png

http://www.lanterneq.com/

Also, I am not 100% sure but EQclassic probubly has accurate lighting in it?

Jibartik
12-17-2020, 03:07 PM
If you'd like to join the discord for lanternEQ/EQclassic here's the link! https://discord.gg/2pywjBT

douglas1999
12-17-2020, 03:13 PM
EQClassic uses the Trilogy client, which was the Vanilla\Kunark\Velious bundle they sold prior to luclin, so yeah I would assume that they have the most accurate possible lighting

douglas1999
12-17-2020, 03:16 PM
Luclin was the first expansion to use that completely overhauled engine, which I think EQ live still uses. My guess would be the code for the lighting we have today on p99 started with luclin

Kohedron
12-17-2020, 04:03 PM
this boxing server is hardly classic, so who cares?

Nirgon
12-17-2020, 04:09 PM
Light sources way too big/bright. Some areas are dark enough, others are still a little too bright.

Going into high pass from EK is the perfect level of darkness at night.

The starting candle should basically just illuminate your char and nearly nothing around em.

Tunabros
12-17-2020, 05:06 PM
this is why human is the master race =)

Gustoo
12-17-2020, 05:12 PM
The difference is that in all those old dark screen shots you can still see.

On project 1999 when its dark its literally an actual wall of black. Then, when there are light sources they are crazy blown up. It looks bad.

Gustoo
12-17-2020, 05:14 PM
On live even on my elf I used a greater light stone till I got an item with a lighting effect.

Thats for sure.

elwing
12-18-2020, 12:51 AM

On project 1999 when its dark its literally an actual wall of black. Then, when there are light sources they are crazy blown up. It looks bad.

As a human, I remember cr in unrest... All I could see at zi was name tag, nothing else, the screen was pitch black on live...

The issue with the new system is not darkness, it's light stacking... Try a raid in velktor's lab zi... The screen is pure white with people flying in the middle, fighting invisible mobs. Wish I had a screenshot, this is particularly ridiculous.

magnetaress
12-18-2020, 12:53 AM
As a human, I remember cr in unrest... All I could see at zi was name tag, nothing else, the screen was pitch black on live...

The issue with the new system is not darkness, it's light stacking... Try a raid in velktor's lab zi... The screen is pure white with people flying in the middle, fighting invisible mobs. Wish I had a screenshot, this is particularly ridiculous.

Turn your gamma way down. Good night 💋

Fammaden
12-18-2020, 07:14 AM
I mained an erudite back then. You were deadass black screen in many situations that you aren't even now, like walking through hallways in cities at nighttime. There's a lot of lighting baked into this client for cities that wasn't feasible to remove for this classic darkness attempt.

So elwing is right, like I mentioned before its the light sources and that stacking that are a problem. The extent of the darkness is intended and appropriate.

Nirgon
12-18-2020, 11:49 AM

Those rooms have light sources in the above pic

Gustoo
12-18-2020, 11:55 AM
I think the comments about light stacking are correct and what makes the current black and blown up white feel really messed up.

Like I said, I remember corpse retrievals in black burrow with a halas bound barbarian and going through those mountains was a legitimate ordeal. It really was a situation where you knew a real barbarian because of the harsh climate they had to survive. Vengeful lyricists stalking the darkness and a blind naked man trudging through the snow to the home of his mortal enemy.

Good comments everyone. Because of the deep ugly of the blown up lights I am going to hope that this feature is not enabled on brown99 / red99 2.0 because erudites, barbs, and humans don't really need the extra groin stomp and it makes the game look bad for everyone else too.

Though I agree with and appreciate the intent.

magnetaress
12-18-2020, 12:47 PM
Classic vanilla tox was hardcore.

Gustoo
12-18-2020, 01:18 PM
Thats for sure. You didn't just hug the zone wall for fun you did it because without a wall to guide you you were hopeless.

magnetaress
12-18-2020, 01:20 PM
Thats how I discovered rungupp ;p

aspomwell
12-18-2020, 03:02 PM
Target rings were lame but I did regret learning to use spell sets literally days before they removed em from p99 just long enough to regret them going away.

I hear you, played a necro in live to 65. I started on blue about a month before they removed DOT damage. I loved seeing that.