PDA

View Full Version : It has been thousands of years, and. . .

LazyHydras
12-15-2020, 07:31 AM
. . . Cabilis's many islands are still connected by wooden planks and not bridges. What the hell is going on here? Are the lizard workers on strike? Is this a union job? Is Al Capone lurking around the corner giving them no-show jobs?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Fammaden
12-15-2020, 07:38 AM
They are in the process of rebuilding the city/starting a new civilization. Kunark is essentially a post apocalyptic world, and your master race lost the war.

elwing
12-15-2020, 08:09 AM
Well, ask the toilmaster about how effective frogs are at building bridges..

Izmael
12-15-2020, 08:54 AM
I wonder this myself every time I go to Cabilis, and twice when I fall down the fucking canals.

If the iskars are supposed to be such great swimmers that they prefer to swim around their city rather than walk, why are there like 5 ladders to get out of the canal in the whole zone? And why can't you just jump out? Whatever lizard architect designed this place obviously hated his own kin.

Also the wooden planks. We hear that bullshit from the lore about "great iksar empire" and there are 100-foot statues of iksars all over the continent, but they can't even put a rotten wooden plank STRAIGHT across the canal. It has to be AT AN ANGLE so you have to take sharp turns and fall down even more often.

Other than that, the city makes no sense whatsoever but if you're an iksar and bound at the firepots, it's hard to complain.

LazyHydras
12-15-2020, 09:08 AM
I wonder this myself every time I go to Cabilis, and twice when I fall down the fucking canals.

If the iskars are supposed to be such great swimmers that they prefer to swim around their city rather than walk, why are there like 5 ladders to get out of the canal in the whole zone? And why can't you just jump out? Whatever lizard architect designed this place obviously hated his own kin.

Also the wooden planks. We hear that bullshit from the lore about "great iksar empire" and there are 100-foot statues of iksars all over the continent, but they can't even put a rotten wooden plank STRAIGHT across the canal. It has to be AT AN ANGLE so you have to take sharp turns and fall down even more often.

Other than that, the city makes no sense whatsoever but if you're an iksar and bound at the firepots, it's hard to complain.

Yea, that wooden plank next to he Haggle Baron's shop is the WORST. What idiot set that thing down at that angle? Absolutely absurd.

fuckshit22
12-15-2020, 10:13 AM
can we talk about the ladder to the shadow knight GM? it's not okay the way it is.

BiG SiP
12-15-2020, 10:40 AM
low int city built by low int denizens
(LOL)

magnetaress
12-15-2020, 12:51 PM
Bridges are for weeklings.

Real iksar swim.

Tunabros
12-15-2020, 12:52 PM
They are in the process of rebuilding the city/starting a new civilization. Kunark is essentially a post apocalyptic world, and your master race lost the war.

unleashedd
12-15-2020, 01:17 PM
necro spell vendors dont want anyone buying from them: change my mind

LazyHydras
12-15-2020, 01:17 PM
necro spell vendors dont want anyone buying from them: change my mind

Only if you are good at lizard parkour.

DeathsSilkyMist
12-15-2020, 01:23 PM
Yea, that wooden plank next to he Haggle Baron's shop is the WORST. What idiot set that thing down at that angle? Absolutely absurd.

The devs probably put the boards at angles to make the city look a bit more organic. If they were all completely straight it wouldn't look as interesting. Classic case of form over function hehe. Remember, this game was made back in the graphics wars, where every game company wanted their stuff to look as good as possible to attract customers, even if it hurt gameplay. That is also why all of the zone edges are a lot more detailed and curved in Kunark, to the annoyance of players. A straight green wall like east commonlands isnt very good looking.

As to the OP's question, my guess is because the Iksars lost the war, they have to spend most of their time and resources fending off the various inhabitants that have invaded their territory, so time and resources are scare for lower priority things like bridges, when a plank would do just fine! Also, they probably lost a lot of knowledge since a lot of their smart lizards are dead from the war, and their libraries lost or destroyed.

LazyHydras
12-15-2020, 01:30 PM
The devs probably put the boards at angles to make the city look a bit more organic. If they were all completely straight it wouldn't look as interesting. Classic case of form over function hehe. Remember, this game was made back in the graphics wars, where every game company wanted their stuff to look as good as possible to attract customers, even if it hurt gameplay. That is also why all of the zone edges are a lot more detailed and curved in Kunark, to the annoyance of players. A straight green wall like east commonlands isnt very good looking.

As to the OP's question, my guess is because the Iksars lost the war, they have to spend most of their time and resources fending off the various inhabitants that have invaded their territory, so time and resources are scare for lower priority things like bridges, when a plank would do just fine! Also, they probably lost a lot of knowledge since a lot of their smart lizards are dead from the war, and their libraries lost or destroyed.

Wow, this is actually a quality post. Didn't expect this out of RnF! I generally agree that Kunark zones look much more interesting and are much more immersive than classic zones; the devs really captured the rugged terrain and dangerous frontier element quite well in places like Warslik's Woods where danger is just one foliage-obscured hill away.

I buy the argument about the angles looking more organic and bridge-building not being a priority with sarnaks, goblins, and giants knocking at your doorstep, but damn: the placement is still inarguably stupid.

Noselacri
12-15-2020, 02:29 PM
They can't build load-bearing bridges because there are no bears in Kunark.

zaldaben
12-15-2020, 03:08 PM
Wow, this is actually a quality post. Didn't expect this out of RnF! I generally agree that Kunark zones look much more interesting and are much more immersive than classic zones; the devs really captured the rugged terrain and dangerous frontier element quite well in places like Warslik's Woods where danger is just one foliage-obscured hill away.

I buy the argument about the angles looking more organic and bridge-building not being a priority with sarnaks, goblins, and giants knocking at your doorstep, but damn: the placement is still inarguably stupid.

Yeah if you want the captured rugged terrain and danger run through snowy mountains in dreadlands with just normal selos and see how long it takes to die. however north ro is just as bad sometimes XD

OuterChimp
12-15-2020, 04:00 PM
I've always wondered why the giants in the snow hills of DL aren't wearing coats...

Swish
12-15-2020, 04:25 PM
If you were good at the game you'd levitate over it all.

Ennewi
12-15-2020, 11:38 PM
. . . Cabilis's many islands are still connected by wooden planks and not bridges. What the hell is going on here? Are the lizard workers on strike? Is this a union job? Is Al Capone lurking around the corner giving them no-show jobs?

Enquiring minds want to know.

IKEA tsars.

Pootle
12-16-2020, 05:16 AM
can we talk about the ladder to the shadow knight GM? it's not okay the way it is.

This, exactly this!!!!

Who the hell signed off on this when they were testing the zone.

LazyHydras
12-16-2020, 06:55 AM
This, exactly this!!!!

Who the hell signed off on this when they were testing the zone.

They built it like that so that they'd have to be paid to come back later and fix it. Smart thinking.

magnetaress
12-16-2020, 09:32 AM
It's so they can blame the froglocks 🐸 for turning gay and stealing the original bridges.

kaizersoze
12-16-2020, 09:39 AM

The lore behind the fall of Sebilis, the old capital, Karnor, and the war with the circle of scale is pretty interesting.