PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk Fungi Tunic

skorge
10-17-2020, 06:33 AM
With Kunark only being here for 7 months before Velious drops, I'm estimating the price of a tunic to be 150-200k range on Green during Kunark era.

This will be closer to a real classic EQ experience where basically nobody could afford to buy one.

Want a fungi for your alt? Go play blue.

Fammaden
10-17-2020, 08:45 AM
Controversial opinion: you don't need a fungi to enjoy the game or level alts.

Zwieback
10-17-2020, 08:46 AM
Who cares, Im rich.

Solist
10-17-2020, 09:01 AM
Shrug, it will be camped 24/7 the entire time from about day 10-12 or so. Won't be any shortage of them for sale, as well as fungi robes having the regrow on them to curb monks enthusiasm for the first 3-4 months.

BlackBellamy
10-17-2020, 09:13 AM
Want a fungi for your alt? Go play blue.

Want a fungi for your alt? Move the fungi from your main to your alt.

This one little trick has saved me millions!

greatdane
10-17-2020, 11:01 AM
I really wish Kunark was longer than 7 months. Maybe not as long as on blue, but a year at least.

Izmael
10-17-2020, 11:03 AM
I really wish Kunark was longer than 7 months. Maybe not as long as on blue, but a year at least.

This ^

Although I love Velious for many reasons, it kinda spoils the classic feeling of classic+Kunark.

Morton Jr
10-17-2020, 12:42 PM
A fungi is the second best item in everquest next to a manastone, it should be expensive. Items keeping their value is a good thing, either you wait in a long line for one or farm for a long time to get it. The regen never ends and makes you a newbie god. Lets be honest the best part of eq is twinking the crap out of a char and going to crushbone to solo a lego at level 5 !

Tunabros
10-17-2020, 04:03 PM

Jibartik
10-17-2020, 04:12 PM
Red plate and black chain look cooler ne way

axisofebola
10-17-2020, 05:26 PM
Why would anyone pay that when they could buy a power level to 55+ for the same plat? You gonna buy it on a a monk, SK or something to solo? go roll up a better farming class instead and pay for the power level on that too.

Noselacri
10-17-2020, 05:30 PM
Some people like to actually play the game.

Tunabros
10-17-2020, 05:30 PM
Why would anyone pay that when they could buy a power level to 55+ for the same plat? You gonna buy it on a a monk, SK or something to solo? go roll up a better farming class instead and pay for the power level on that too.

well its nice to have in a group when its downtime or something

dwikt96
10-22-2020, 02:40 AM
Honestly if you don't enjoy this game for the journey (leveling, friends, shared goals, personal goals, etc etc etc) I dunno what you're doing here.

Zoolander
10-22-2020, 01:52 PM
Honestly if you don't enjoy this game for the journey (leveling, friends, shared goals, personal goals, etc etc etc) I dunno what you're doing here.

this

reznor_
10-22-2020, 01:57 PM

Me too. I hope they change to give us 1 year of kunark. At least. I quit blue to do non-velious kunark content.

Scalem
10-22-2020, 02:06 PM
If you want a fungi in the next two years go play blue. Otherwise you’ll be competing with all the career unemployeds.

larsbars
10-22-2020, 02:37 PM
Make friends with a shaman, much cheaper.

Tunabros
10-22-2020, 03:22 PM
If you want a fungi in the next two years go play blue. Otherwise you’ll be competing with all the career unemployeds.

Izmael
10-22-2020, 03:32 PM
Fungi should be a legacy item and quit dropping after a month or so. Imagine the fun!

Tunabros
10-22-2020, 03:57 PM
Fungi should be a legacy item and quit dropping after a month or so. Imagine the fun!

0-o

douglas1999
10-22-2020, 03:59 PM
It's funny to imagine trying to explain hardcore legacy camps to people who don't play p99 or everquest or rpg's or fantasy games at all.

"So wait... you're staying up for 5 straight days why?"

"Well, I need to get a fungus covered scale tunic"

"Riiighhtt.."

"It's way better than a rubicite breastplate, that only took 3 days of no sleep. Oh and this mask, it let's anybody turn into a dark elf!"

"..are you okay?"

BiG SiP
10-22-2020, 04:28 PM
pure unadulterated evil

Tunabros
10-22-2020, 04:33 PM
It's funny to imagine trying to explain hardcore legacy camps to people who don't play p99 or everquest or rpg's or fantasy games at all.

"So wait... you're staying up for 5 straight days why?"

"Well, I need to get a fungus covered scale tunic"

"Riiighhtt.."

"It's way better than a rubicite breastplate, that only took 3 days of no sleep. Oh and this mask, it let's anybody turn into a dark elf!"

"..are you okay?"

this is the part where you say " But it's classic tho!"

Good old EQ =)

Morton Jr
10-22-2020, 05:16 PM
Should be no drop Level 60 Required, would fix alot of issues imo : )

Scalem
10-22-2020, 06:33 PM
Should be no drop Level 60 Required, would fix alot of issues imo : )

There's dumb suggestions and then there's suggestions like this.

Jeni
10-22-2020, 09:28 PM
One of my favorite memories from classic was my 36 hour manastone camp. I plan on using the rest of my annual to make as many 5 day weekends as I can for fungi tunics once Kunark is released. Hope to see all my line buddies there!

Soothsayer
10-24-2020, 09:11 PM
There's dumb suggestions and then there's suggestions like this.

Well, in hindsight, fungi tunic should've had a reasonably high level requirement when it was introduced into the game 20 years ago. The overwhelming power that fungi tunic represents for low to mid-level toons runs contrary to what this game is fundamentally about, and to be quite honest, I think there's a very compelling case to be made that the game would've been better off without it (as well as a few other powerful items that I won't mention here).

I suppose the existence of such obscenely powerful items with no level requirement is part of what makes this game unique, but that uniqueness doesn't necessarily translate to a better experience. Man, I remember hating it when UberGod monks with fungi tunics would occasionally join my XP groups on blue... I instantly felt useless.

BarackObooma
10-25-2020, 02:55 PM
It's not a rare drop, it's going to be farmed 24/7, it'll never stop dropping and won't stop being camped 24/7 when Velious drops.

GTFO with comparing it to a manastone. It might hit 100k in the beginning and settle down to 50-75k ongoing.

It was 30-50k on blue for a long time and that was with unnerfed seafury plat.

BarnabusCollins
10-25-2020, 03:13 PM
Some Green99 non-legacy Kunark prices I am expecting:

Fungi Tunic 150k
Tranquil Staff 100k
Staff of Dreaded Gaze 40k
Spell: Torpor 300k
Elder Spiritualist's Greaves 200k
Siblisian Berserker Cloak 80k
Lupine Dagger 35k
Spell: Emissary of Thule 50k
Spell: Protection of the Glades 30k
Spell: Spirit of the Howler 25k
Hierophant's Cloak 40k
Jaundiced Bone Bracer 85k

Trexller
10-25-2020, 03:15 PM
Put a price on this:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Ton_Po%27s_Bo_Stick_of_Understanding

BarnabusCollins
10-25-2020, 03:23 PM
Put a price on this:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Ton_Po%27s_Bo_Stick_of_Understanding

It wouldn't be as much as a fungus covered great staff (up to the 2 mil range), probably in the 600k to 900k range?

Soothsayer
10-25-2020, 10:02 PM
I can hardly imagine fungi tunic prices being over 100k for long, especially given the lack of crazy plat farms like those stupid seafuries on Blue. Maybe they'll be that expensive at first, but come on - how many people on green are sitting pretty on six-figure bank accounts? When fungi tunic farmers realize that basically nobody has hundreds of thousands of plat, they'll be forced to either

A) hold onto their fungi tunics for ages, or

B) decide that if they want to sell those tunics before the heat death of the universe occurs, they'll need to reduce their prices to something realistic.

Scalem
10-25-2020, 10:06 PM
I can hardly imagine fungi tunic prices being over 100k for long, especially given the lack of crazy plat farms like those stupid seafuries on Blue. Maybe they'll be that expensive at first, but come on - how many people on green are sitting pretty on six-figure bank accounts? When fungi tunic farmers realize that basically nobody has hundreds of thousands of plat, they'll be forced to either

A) hold onto their fungi tunics for ages, or

B) decide that if they want to sell those tunics before the heat death of the universe occurs, they'll need to reduce their prices to something realistic.

There will be people who refuse to go below 100k for awhile. It’s just like those idiots who want 200k+ for a mama stone. The truth is if you haven’t already been preparing to buy a fungi or aren’t a career unemployed just don’t expect to get a fungi for the next year.

Scalem
10-25-2020, 10:09 PM
Well, in hindsight, fungi tunic should've had a reasonably high level requirement when it was introduced into the game 20 years ago. The overwhelming power that fungi tunic represents for low to mid-level toons runs contrary to what this game is fundamentally about, and to be quite honest, I think there's a very compelling case to be made that the game would've been better off without it (as well as a few other powerful items that I won't mention here).

I suppose the existence of such obscenely powerful items with no level requirement is part of what makes this game unique, but that uniqueness doesn't necessarily translate to a better experience. Man, I remember hating it when UberGod monks with fungi tunics would occasionally join my XP groups on blue... I instantly felt useless.

Fungi has an inherent high level requirement in the fact that the camp is not easy to do. Did the devs ever expect people 20 years later to be camping it 24/7 to help level their alts easier? Not a chance.

BarackObooma
10-26-2020, 02:19 AM
There will be people who refuse to go below 100k for awhile. It’s just like those idiots who want 200k+ for a mama stone. The truth is if you haven’t already been preparing to buy a fungi or aren’t a career unemployed just don’t expect to get a fungi for the next year.

Except people are OFFERING 200k for manastones. I'm so happy I got mine for 160k a month or so ago. My chase is over.

People are asking 250k now. They are 700-800k on blue, different circumstances but someone who would ask for less than 200k would be the idiot.

Noselacri
10-26-2020, 02:53 AM
Did the devs ever expect people 20 years later to be camping it 24/7 to help level their alts easier? Not a chance.

Eh, it wasn't so different back then once people discovered it. When it comes to the actual original launch of the game, I'll say the devs might not have expected something like that; but by the time Kunark came out, they were perfectly aware of how people played the game. While P99 is more top-heavy than the game was back then, the principles are the same. Just look at the item's stats--I'd venture to guess that the thing they least expected is that certain classes would wear this obvious twink item in the upper levels.

BarnabusCollins
10-26-2020, 06:53 AM
Real farmers know a fungi is worthless to keep. The rest play melees.

Castle2.0
10-26-2020, 08:02 AM
Why would you buy a car to drive 5 miles to the park when you have two legs and can walk? Why not enjoy the ride, people? Jeez.

Donkey Hotay
10-26-2020, 10:23 AM
Except people are OFFERING 200k for manastones.

That's news to this guy with two for sale.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370193

Castle2.0
10-26-2020, 12:58 PM
Go profit.

BarackObooma
10-26-2020, 11:32 PM
Cendien (WTB)
WTBuy Manastone 190k PST
Couple weeks ago. I had spoke with him, he was willing to pay 200k.

At that time everyone was asking 250k. Now that Kunark is around the corner, one person is dumping for 180k (if he even had them, if he did, I bet they've sold) for some quick Kunark cash. Price will only keep going up.

The idiots are the people who overpay having to have everything day one. Someone wants to pay over 100k for the first fungi, they've got more dollars than sense.

Soothsayer
10-27-2020, 11:05 AM
The idiots are the people who overpay having to have everything day one. Someone wants to pay over 100k for the first fungi, they've got more dollars than sense.

There WILL be those kinds of people, though. Probably not many, but enough to motivate fungi tunic farmers to keep prices sky high for a while.

What I'm interested in is how nerfed seafuries and the length of time Green has been running will affect prices within ~3 months of Kunark release. There are undoubtedly some very wealthy players running around in green, but how many?

Strifer
10-28-2020, 09:13 AM
Camps gonna be locked down by some guild permanently for the foreseeable future, with the only way for outsiders to wear it to be buying it in the EC tunnel.

Maybe I'll try to get a spot come Velious when they're swinging their dicks in ToV

Daviesm118
11-11-2020, 12:10 AM
Some Green99 non-legacy Kunark prices I am expecting:

Fungi Tunic 150k
Tranquil Staff 100k
Staff of Dreaded Gaze 40k
Spell: Torpor 300k
Elder Spiritualist's Greaves 200k
Siblisian Berserker Cloak 80k
Lupine Dagger 35k
Spell: Emissary of Thule 50k
Spell: Protection of the Glades 30k
Spell: Spirit of the Howler 25k
Hierophant's Cloak 40k
Jaundiced Bone Bracer 85k

heh.. I was playing around on my friend's twinked monk at his house one night on Rallos Zek (PVP) and got into a tussle with an SK.. long story short I was disarmed, blasted with HT and lost his Tranquil staff :D
He was pissed to say the least.