PDA

View Full Version : Making plat advice?

campania
10-12-2020, 12:09 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to P99 (played EQ back in 2000-2002 or so, best summer of my life was when I found EQ lol) and looking for some advice on how to make money as a new player. I lucked out and sold a few bone chip stacks to another player in Nektulos recently, but I know that spells are only going to get more expensive so I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything "easy" that a new player should be thinking about/doing while leveling up.

I've tried looking for guides, but having a hard time finding anything that isn't 4 years old and not sure if it's only applicable to blue server.

Thank you!

larsbars
10-12-2020, 12:27 PM
Willowisps in qeynos hills made me a bit while around 11-15.

Sabin76
10-12-2020, 12:53 PM
Assuming you are a DE since you are killing in Nektulos...

HQ bear skins will net you ~15p per, so keep on the look out for those. If you're still killing spiders, you can hold on to the venom sacks (they vendor for .5p) and if you grab a tailoring kit you can combine silks for swatches and thread which you can either sell to players or vendor (since they stack). Once you hit lvl ~10 you can start killing wisps in the commons. The regular Lightstones will sell for 3p each and the greater ones will sell for 15p. Or you can use them yourself in SRo for XP and decent plat on the item the quest gives you.

Ivory
10-12-2020, 12:55 PM
Travel to everfrost... and there you will find giant hunters, huntin giants. Offers to exchange their gold and silver and copper to platinums. Offer to sell their fine steel weapons and exchange them for moneys (and say it cost them a 10% cut).

Is a great ways to make early moneys. And if you come offerins to exchange their silver and copper and gold to platinum, and you gotta run to the bank to do it... they will probably gift you some treasure even!

larsbars
10-12-2020, 01:04 PM
Actually I forgot about bear skins. Those are great and there’s tons of bears in nektulos. Also they’re basically instantly transformed into 10 slot bags by tailors so it’s fairly easy to sell them for 15pp each.

LegendZapp
10-12-2020, 01:24 PM
Invest all your time and resources into leveling up, as 35+ opens up a lot of opportunities for plat. You can earn much more plat per hour the higher level you are, so just grind up a bit. Deathfist belts in EC sell for 5p each pretty easily, or HQ bear pelts if you really want some early cash.

campania
10-12-2020, 01:26 PM
Thanks guys, this is all super helpful. Kicking myself for selling a few HQ skins to vendors now lol. Much appreciated, all!

gregster
10-12-2020, 01:38 PM
Send Bagul or Gregther a tell. I'll buy them.

Sabin76
10-12-2020, 01:50 PM
Thanks guys, this is all super helpful. Kicking myself for selling a few HQ skins to vendors now lol. Much appreciated, all!

Just remember it's the bear skins in particular. HQ wolf and cat pelts also sell, but not for as much, nor as fast.

Deathfist Belts are a good one I forgot and there are the two camps in EC and one in WC. Once you are in your upper teens/lower 20s, you can hit Najena and sell the focus items for a bit of plat. They don't sell for nearly what they sold in the past, but it's still ~50 or 75p each from what I'm seeing. If you can get some weightless bags, SolA is also good since those bricks of ore sell for 5-15p to a vendor.

As mentioned by Legend, actual cash camps won't start opening up until the later levels.

Nuggie
10-12-2020, 02:35 PM
For those HQ pelts that aren't from bears, stock them up and sell in bulk. You should make money pretty well that way.

Blingy
10-12-2020, 02:57 PM
http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie#Platinum

and

http://wiki.project1999.com/Treasure_Hunting_Guide

Seymoore
10-12-2020, 03:19 PM
I just started on P99 last week in Nektulos. From lvl 1-8, I made my money selling bone chips and HQ bear pelts in the EC tunnel. From 9-13, I camped the orc tents in EC and sold about 50 belts at 5pp each. I then spent from 13-16 in Lesser Faydark camping the bandits that drop bronze weapons. Since I am an enchanter, I was able to sell at the ranger camp in the zone, and brought home almost 500pp when I returned to Neriak for my lvl 16 spells. Iirc, if you are a non-enchanter dark elf, you may be able to sell at some of the gnomes in Steamfont. I think the gnomes may be more friendly to evil races than other races on that isle.

campania
10-12-2020, 09:55 PM
I just started on P99 last week in Nektulos. From lvl 1-8, I made my money selling bone chips and HQ bear pelts in the EC tunnel. From 9-13, I camped the orc tents in EC and sold about 50 belts at 5pp each. I then spent from 13-16 in Lesser Faydark camping the bandits that drop bronze weapons. Since I am an enchanter, I was able to sell at the ranger camp in the zone, and brought home almost 500pp when I returned to Neriak for my lvl 16 spells. Iirc, if you are a non-enchanter dark elf, you may be able to sell at some of the gnomes in Steamfont. I think the gnomes may be more friendly to evil races than other races on that isle.

Got it, thank you! I just hit 12 on my necro, so I'll get to 13 and see if I can get a port over to Faydark to farm the bandits.

turbosilk
10-12-2020, 10:56 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to P99 (played EQ back in 2000-2002 or so, best summer of my life was when I found EQ lol) and looking for some advice on how to make money as a new player. I lucked out and sold a few bone chip stacks to another player in Nektulos recently, but I know that spells are only going to get more expensive so I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything "easy" that a new player should be thinking about/doing while leveling up.

I've tried looking for guides, but having a hard time finding anything that isn't 4 years old and not sure if it's only applicable to blue server.

Thank you!

Roll an ench. Faceroll all group content solo. Profit.

campania
10-13-2020, 01:17 AM

Lol I'm tempted, but having just hit 12 on my nec, I'm not at all looking forward to going right back into the newbie levels just yet. Was debating on druid or ench for my alt though.

ScottBerta
10-13-2020, 01:27 AM
Best advice... level up and worry about the pp later.

Jibartik
10-13-2020, 01:39 AM
wiki guide is great but my personal is

go to garg island in your 12-15 level (12 if you have a partner) and level there till 23/24 then do those two sisters (and the others) to like 34 or 36 and by then you'll have like 10k and the exp is really about as good or as better and as safe as anything else.

Tethler
10-13-2020, 05:21 AM
Got it, thank you! I just hit 12 on my necro, so I'll get to 13 and see if I can get a port over to Faydark to farm the bandits.

If you farm the Nybright sisters (bandits in lesser fay) as a necro, the nearest vendor to you will be the druid ring vendor in Steamfont Mountains. She isn't kos, and sells to anyone.

Castle2.0
10-13-2020, 07:52 AM
In order of level progression: Bonechips, CB belts/pads, greater lightstones, nybright sisters for bronze, gargoyles in OOT (great for pet classes who can clear green skelie PHs), 2 sister spawn in hut in OOT on sister isle, gnoll scrolls in SK/paw, by time you get here Kunark will be out - go there.

BlackBellamy
10-13-2020, 08:04 AM
Best advice... level up and worry about the pp later.

As a Necro, only get enough plat to buy your spells and that's it. Do not farm equipment or fancy stuff money.

Your ability to make plat increases geometrically. If you wait a couple of levels you can make tons more plat in a fraction of the time it takes now. So any time you spend farming now provides a tiny return compared if you invest that same amount of time later.

Fammaden
10-13-2020, 08:29 AM
As a Necro, only get enough plat to buy your spells and that's it. Do not farm equipment or fancy stuff money.

Your ability to make plat increases geometrically. If you wait a couple of levels you can make tons more plat in a fraction of the time it takes now. So any time you spend farming now provides a tiny return compared if you invest that same amount of time later.

The correct response to "how to make money as a newb" is always just to level up higher, camps like sisters are nice but leveling as fast as possible is the best strategy.

BarnabusCollins
10-13-2020, 08:39 AM
Level a ranger to 20, camp Pyzjn

Whoop
10-13-2020, 09:39 AM
The correct response to "how to make money as a newb" is always just to level up higher, camps like sisters are nice but leveling as fast as possible is the best strategy.

The highest amount of plat i was able to farm with my necro at lvl 60 was about 7-900pp/hour iirc. This was at cyclops in oot before nerf. The higher lvl your are the more cash you can farm for sure.

However, I find it way more fun to grind xp solo if I can get some loot while doing it. Finding a good spot for xp and loot no matter the level is a big part of the fun for me.

Fammaden
10-13-2020, 09:50 AM
Yes, as long as you aren't going out of your way trying to make money at the expense of leveling. Making money while getting good xp is nice, getting good xp so you can get to the higher level cash sooner should be your primary goal though.

Tunabros
10-13-2020, 11:23 AM
Just level up a couple of hours in a CT or Paw group can get you around 100p per hour of casual gameplay

JDAm0nk
10-13-2020, 01:14 PM
When I was recently leveling on Faydwer the Sisters were permanently camped. If you play off hours it might work, but I never had any success landing the camp.

For 12-17 I thought Erud's Crossing was really relaxed and a good source of XP & PP through Lightstone turn-ins. It was less crowded than NK and for pet classes, you can pull to the shore and keep a steady stream of wisps coming.

Anxarcule
10-13-2020, 01:33 PM
Treants if you can get them and don't care about Surefall Glade / Qeynos Guards faction is also quite good, but it's usually camped

greatdane
10-13-2020, 01:35 PM
It's not worth trying to make money until you're in your 20s. Level up as fast as you can until you're able to farm properly. If you're a druid, shaman, enchanter or magician you can camp Guard Chopin in Highkeep from 26 to 34 and make several thousand plat on top of excellent XP.

By and large, the most convenient way to make money is to farm mobs that drop vendor weapons or some other similar source of constant income. Trying to camp some big-ticket item is really ineffective unless you're willing to log in at 6AM trying to find the camp open and then stay there the entire day.

On average you'd make more money per hour farming guards somewhere than camping an FBSS. People who camp specific items are nearly always wasting their time unless they really know what they're doing and can devote half and whole days to it.

campania
10-13-2020, 02:46 PM
Thanks folks, this is all really solid advice. Looks like I have a lot of options from here! My primary concern was not having enough plat for spells, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a little gear envy seeing a lot of the folks I've grouped with recently/the auctions going on in EC lol. I'll stay patient and just focus on leveling, then, since Deathfist belts got me all of my level 12 spells with some to spare.

I'm a pretty casual player, so areas that aren't highly contested are preferable. I think I'll give the gargoyle island a shot. Thanks again, all--much appreciated!

Delekhan
10-15-2020, 03:16 AM
Travel to everfrost... and there you will find giant hunters, huntin giants. Offers to exchange their gold and silver and copper to platinums. Offer to sell their fine steel weapons and exchange them for moneys (and say it cost them a 10% cut).

Is a great ways to make early moneys. And if you come offerins to exchange their silver and copper and gold to platinum, and you gotta run to the bank to do it... they will probably gift you some treasure even!

This. Spec camps in the Feerrot work well too. You will make a lot of Plat simply running your ogre back and forth.

Tunabros
10-15-2020, 11:02 AM
Level a necromancer and stomp through gaurds for hours
thats all I can say for now

It's bomb money~

Soothsayer
10-15-2020, 11:57 AM
Guard farming your way to riches is the most soul-leeching tedium you can experience in a video game.

Tunabros
10-15-2020, 12:26 PM
Guard farming your way to riches is the most soul-leeching tedium you can experience in a video game.

Not unless you play a fun class!
But yah HGs are better or farming gear on a chanter or something idk

turbosilk
10-15-2020, 07:56 PM

So much truth here.

Noselacri
10-15-2020, 08:27 PM
I dunno, I kinda like a camp where I don't spend 95% of the time just waiting for some 22 minute respawn.

Ashers
10-15-2020, 09:33 PM
1-5: West FP and just kill skeletons. Sell bone chip stacks for 7pp.
1-5: If evil. Ferret tail and lizard meat quests
5-6: Bears in Nek.
6-8: Undead monolith in Nek

Note: Take tie to get tainted no-drop weapons in Kithicor

Travel to Qeynos. Bind

5-11: Collect as many gnoll teeth as possible.

Turn in when you hit 12..

12-14: Willow wisps in Karanas
14-17: Bandits in ln lake Rathe by Rathe mtn zone. save sashes.

turn in sashes and get a surge of plat selling bronze weapon reward.

that should be a good start.

Nuggie
10-16-2020, 12:44 AM
Pretty good post for a first post. Well done!