PDA

View Full Version : Easiest and simplest class to play - follow up :)

pivo
10-11-2020, 02:53 PM
When I discovered EQ99, I didn't know which class to start with, so i started this thread:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355501

Most experienced players suggested Druid, Magician or Necro. Well, there were still three classes to choose from, I was still not sure what to do. Because of this I started playing all three. :)

Now, few months later, I'm still playing all three. All of them reached lvl 35. And boy, do I like, not needing to click on 'Meditate' button any more!

So, which one I like the best? LOL, I still can't decide. I guess I will just play them all. ;)

I'm so glad I have a Druid. Haven't made any money with it yet, since I'm levelling with it, and a few players that I did transport, I did it for free. But this Druid is so valuable for all kind of supply/delivery to my other two toons. Need a spell, or food, drink, need to buy or trade some item... for all running around I'm using Druid. It makes my life so much easier to have this delivery boy!

Here at lvl 35 I think I will slow down with levelling a bit, and start doing some other things, maybe trying to get some nice drops such as Cloak from Quilmane etc...

Oh, I do have another toon, another Necro: Bone Knight, per this guide: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368553

Very interesting build, you need few hundred platina investment into starting gear, but then you get tanky Necro. So far, it is super fun to play it.

Fun game, I love it!

Oddbaal
10-11-2020, 03:41 PM
Hah! I almost did the same thing based on your thread. Just now starting the necro though, I have the Mage + Druid but I'm a very casual player. Looking forward to trying out this Bone Knight as my new project. Still searching for weapons to make the beginning a little less painful, but after that I'm good to go!

Glad to see you still around having fun. Hard agree on the druid, I feel the same just from the logistical standpoint.. Cheers!

Toad1
10-11-2020, 07:11 PM
Druid : Good for powerleveling, nothing else
Necro: Great for soloing, no one will want you for a high end group
Magician: Great for most content but you will be 2400th in line for an earth staff and you arent getting one

pivo
10-11-2020, 08:08 PM
Magician: Great for most content but you will be 2400th in line for an earth staff and you arent getting one

It is good, you mention this, so someone will not choose one of these if player plan to do end game content, raiding... and be later disappointed.

In my case, that's perfect. I don't plan to do any raiding (too clumsy, bad player, plus not enough free time for this), I will just slowly solo or maybe sometimes duo.

Necro: great for racking some platina fast ;)

pivo
10-11-2020, 08:20 PM
Hah! I almost did the same thing based on your thread. Just now starting the necro though, I have the Mage + Druid but I'm a very casual player. Looking forward to trying out this Bone Knight as my new project. Still searching for weapons to make the beginning a little less painful, but after that I'm good to go!

Glad to see you still around having fun. Hard agree on the druid, I feel the same just from the logistical standpoint.. Cheers!

Hey, nice to hear from you, I'm very causal player also. Well I did play a little too much lately, but I will slow down now to 'casual' level ;)

I hope you soon get your weapon. I went to Lesser Faydark to loot Crookstinger myself, but couldn't find that waspe. So I just asked in /OOC and luckily someone had it. I paid 35 for it i think.

Today i was in the Tunnel (Commons) and I saw these two on sale for 40 plat I think:
fire crystal staff - https://wiki.project1999.com/Fire_Crystal_Staff
ice crystal staff - https://wiki.project1999.com/Ice_Crystal_Staff

They both proc, so they could probably be useful as first weapon? Anyone can confirm this?

I was trying to buy 3rd and/or 4th weapon, I will not need them for a while yet, but can't hurt some planning ahead. If I don't get them in the tunnel, I will just go into the zone where they drop and try to buy them there.

Nuggie
10-11-2020, 08:49 PM
If you want easy raid loot later(don't raid, it's cancerous on P99[in california]) play a ranger, paladin, or bard. You will hate your life for 60 levels on 2/3 of those classes except very rarely, but once you're 60 you will succeed on easy raid loot that rots.

pivo
10-11-2020, 09:12 PM
If you want easy raid loot later(don't raid, it's cancerous on P99[in california]) play a ranger, paladin, or bard. You will hate your life for 60 levels on 2/3 of those classes except very rarely, but once you're 60 you will succeed on easy raid loot that rots.

Bard is out of question for me. My slow, old fingers can't do 'octopus' moves ;)

But Ranger sounds interesting. i see how players are running all over the SK, trying to locate Quillmane that they know it is up. Some toon with good tracking skill, may not be that bad idea after all. :) And if you invest some plat, twink him up a little bit, should help also and may not be that hard grind. I'm not in a rush, I can enjoy slower levelling too.

If I may ask you, can you explain more in detail, how would that 'easy raid loot that rots' work. Why these three classes? Do you need to be in the raid? If no, you are not Ninja looting?

When XP penalty stops, after Kunark or after Velious or sometime in between?
Between Ranger and Paladin, which one is better for solo?

Nuggie
10-11-2020, 09:50 PM
Ranger and paladin are the two least played classes. So their classes needs for raid loot is swiftly satisfied. Leaving further drops rotting. Bards are in a similar position, but only because they're such a pain-in-the-butt to play skillfully.

Rangers are pretty highly valued in Kunark/Velious for their tracking ability. Any ranger will be worth their weight in gold for months while people farm Seb keys(and the frontier mountain named cycle). And in Velious when folks need to farm stuff in those giant zones.

YendorLootmonkey
10-11-2020, 10:21 PM
Ranger and paladin are the two least played classes. So their classes needs for raid loot is swiftly satisfied. Leaving further drops rotting. Bards are in a similar position, but only because they're such a pain-in-the-butt to play skillfully.

Rangers are pretty highly valued in Kunark/Velious for their tracking ability. Any ranger will be worth their weight in gold for months while people farm Seb keys(and the frontier mountain named cycle). And in Velious when folks need to farm stuff in those giant zones.

Nuggie, do you have a class that can bind near a bank? I need a personal platinum caddy to accept payment on my behalf in TT for tracking/pulling forager/hunter. Then you can just gate to the bank to meet me there to transfer my 500K plat to me. :)

M.J.
10-11-2020, 10:23 PM
Pet tracking should still be working (/pet attack <insertname / part of name here>) so knowing when you've spawned Quillmane on a pet class isn't that hard, but getting to it first when solo (without people sitting on the spawns) is the hard part. SK has people 24/7 outside paw so every QM you spawn is heading towards that sausage grinder if you don't luck out on which of the spawn paths you choose to investigate first.

As for leveling melees and hybrids I'd say wait until a few months into kunark and the weapon situation should be a lot more tolerable. Mith 2her falls off in the high 40s and beyond because you stop hitting as hard and fast as the mobs you're fighting, and rangers can't use it regardless.

Going into Kunark I'd recommend you stick with necro or druid over a melee though if you want easy leveling, mage definitely falls off quickly in the mid 50s compared to other classes and even necro/shaman/druid take a hit in the mid 50s for dot rotting as you're between your most powerful spell sets. Personally I have given up on multiple toons in the mid 50s because knowing just how good the class gets and dealing with another 3-4 levels of being a weak-ass in an ancient emu isn't worth the headache once you've acquired enough gear to immediately reroll something new that will actually feel like you're playing a game rather than working a job.

Some people think this game only becomes fun past level 57/58 doing dungeons and raids, though I've personally found that is when the "Play" relative to rewarding dopamine triggers is at its absolute lowest and also when you're dealing with hardcore players that are not only risk averse but fun averse as well. Good luck with your class testing, and don't become a slave to the grind - it is perfectly okay to be a casual scum and roll new alts.

Oddbaal
10-11-2020, 10:46 PM
Hey, nice to hear from you, I'm very causal player also. Well I did play a little too much lately, but I will slow down now to 'casual' level ;)

I hope you soon get your weapon. I went to Lesser Faydark to loot Crookstinger myself, but couldn't find that waspe. So I just asked in /OOC and luckily someone had it. I paid 35 for it i think.

Today i was in the Tunnel (Commons) and I saw these two on sale for 40 plat I think:
fire crystal staff - https://wiki.project1999.com/Fire_Crystal_Staff
ice crystal staff - https://wiki.project1999.com/Ice_Crystal_Staff

They both proc, so they could probably be useful as first weapon? Anyone can confirm this?

I was trying to buy 3rd and/or 4th weapon, I will not need them for a while yet, but can't hurt some planning ahead. If I don't get them in the tunnel, I will just go into the zone where they drop and try to buy them there.

I was thinking that for weapons too, if I couldn’t get the dagger. I tried camping it myself also but no luck. Only today did I attempt in earnest to look via the trade forums. Even camping the tunnel for a few hours a day I’ve been unlucky; neither seeing the fire staff or dagger. I did see that ice staff, but the proc damage is so much lower than the other 2.

How is your bone knight going? Which items did you secure for yourself before you began? Just curious. The build and playstyle seem exactly what I’m looking for. It’s also very nice how low budget it is. Perfect

Ivory
10-11-2020, 11:16 PM
I was thinking that for weapons too, if I couldn’t get the dagger. I tried camping it myself also but no luck. Only today did I attempt in earnest to look via the trade forums. Even camping the tunnel for a few hours a day I’ve been unlucky; neither seeing the fire staff or dagger. I did see that ice staff, but the proc damage is so much lower than the other 2.

How is your bone knight going? Which items did you secure for yourself before you began? Just curious. The build and playstyle seem exactly what I’m looking for. It’s also very nice how low budget it is. Perfect

The crookstinger early isn't make or break. Just get a decent weapon and you should be ok. It's just a 6 damage DD, and then 6 damage per tick.... which is really nice, but not everything early.

So going for

https://wiki.project1999.com/Sacrificial_Dagger
https://wiki.project1999.com/Pugius
https://wiki.project1999.com/Shark_Tooth

These are all pretty cheap. The big weapons are the Stiletto of the Bloodclaw and the Staff of Writhing later when they start to proc (or even get them early and just use them because they got nice ratios! Like a Staff of Writhing is veryyyy cheap, and has a great ratio of 9/33... so you would be hitting a decent amount with it).

Nuggie
10-12-2020, 12:03 AM
Nuggie, do you have a class that can bind near a bank? I need a personal platinum caddy to accept payment on my behalf in TT for tracking/pulling forager/hunter. Then you can just gate to the bank to meet me there to transfer my 500K plat to me. :)

Aye aye Cap'N!

Zoolander
10-12-2020, 04:06 AM
Personally I have given up on multiple toons in the mid 50s because knowing just how good the class gets and dealing with another 3-4 levels of being a weak-ass in an ancient emu isn't worth the headache once you've acquired enough gear to immediately reroll something new that will actually feel like you're playing a game rather than working a job.

Some people think this game only becomes fun past level 57/58 doing dungeons and raids, though I've personally found that is when the "Play" relative to rewarding dopamine triggers is at its absolute lowest and also when you're dealing with hardcore players that are not only risk averse but fun averse as well. Good luck with your class testing, and don't become a slave to the grind - it is perfectly okay to be a casual scum and roll new alts.

I think this is the best quote ive ever read in 20 years about this game.

that's why a support class might be the best class in the long run since u have way more options at lvl 60 like helping out newbies levelling up instead of killing the same named over and over again as a dps/solo class till u finally burn out with 1million plat taking dust in your bank.

EQ is all about socializing with other ppl but many ppl forget that, especialy those playin independent classes.

Oddbaal
10-12-2020, 11:56 AM
The crookstinger early isn't make or break. Just get a decent weapon and you should be ok. It's just a 6 damage DD, and then 6 damage per tick.... which is really nice, but not everything early.

So going for

https://wiki.project1999.com/Sacrificial_Dagger
https://wiki.project1999.com/Pugius
https://wiki.project1999.com/Shark_Tooth

These are all pretty cheap. The big weapons are the Stiletto of the Bloodclaw and the Staff of Writhing later when they start to proc (or even get them early and just use them because they got nice ratios! Like a Staff of Writhing is veryyyy cheap, and has a great ratio of 9/33... so you would be hitting a decent amount with it).

Awesome! Ty for the reply. I ended up slightly overpaying for the crookstinger but I figure it’s worth if it’ll last the 18 levels! I didn’t super twink em, just the green silken robes, crookstinger & a shimmering orb. Figure that’s more than enough to get the bone knight going. Thanks for your guide

pivo
10-12-2020, 01:12 PM

Ahh, now I understand, thank you!

LegendZapp
10-12-2020, 01:22 PM

This isn't exactly true. In some cases it may be, but an OP druid with a clickie heal item can be very strong and bring a ton of utility to a group.

Necros also bring a lot of utility to a group if played well, especially with the dps of charm pets.

Mages are incredible in classic, but fall off in kunark+, however their coth is godly for raid forces and they also bring utility.

It's short sighted to say these classes aren't viable.

pivo
10-12-2020, 01:24 PM
As for leveling melees and hybrids I'd say wait until a few months into kunark and the weapon situation should be a lot more tolerable. Mith 2her falls off in the high 40s and beyond because you stop hitting as hard and fast as the mobs you're fighting, and rangers can't use it regardless.

Yes, i was thinking the same thing. I'm thinking to wait until Velious, there are some useful lower level spells ranger gets with Velious, some at lvl 22 and Spirit of Wolf at 30! This should make life easier ;)

Going into Kunark I'd recommend you stick with necro or druid over a melee though if you want easy leveling

Good to know, thanks, will do!

Personally I have given up on multiple toons in the mid 50s because knowing just how good the class gets and dealing with another 3-4 levels of being a weak-ass in an ancient emu isn't worth the headache once you've acquired enough gear to immediately reroll something new that will actually feel like you're playing a game rather than working a job.

...it is perfectly okay to be a casual scum and roll new alts...

Yes, I hear you :)

Seymoore
10-12-2020, 03:13 PM
In answer to your original question about easy class for new players, I think the biggest issue is figuring out how you want to play the game. EQ, imo, is an MMO that was designed with the idea that you would play in a group. Soloing is possible but difficult and causes lots of downtime for most classes. The easiest classes to play tend to not have great group utility or are generally boring to play. The hardest classes to play have great group utility and are more interesting. Generally though, if you can get into a group, the game is much easier and you can enjoy the social aspects of the game.

The three classes with the best group utility imo are:
Cleric -- best healer, only class that can resurrect; very boring to play, but easy.
Enchanter -- best crowd control, highly sought after group buffs and enemy debuffs, difficult but interesting to play.
Bard -- exponentially harder to master than any other class, but can always fill out any group's needs. jack of all trades, master of none.

The SK is an easy class to play with great group utility as a tank, but you will take anywhere from 140% to 200% more time to level up depending on your race.

If you want to solo and don't care about groups, necro and druid probably are the two easiest to play solo. Necro will have less downtime, but druid will have the best group utility. Necros and druids can both probably solo any non-dungeon enemy in the game without a tremendous degree of skill.

Seducio
10-12-2020, 03:31 PM

Agree with this, Nuggie. However could you clarify how california fits in to this?

Excellent point for those with a few too many alts headed into the grind to 60. MJ, which classes were so insufferable that made you give up on them mid 50s?

Sabin76
10-12-2020, 03:53 PM
Agree with this, Nuggie. However could you clarify how california fits in to this?

From my own experience, it comes from the fact that raids are either long over, or -at best - winding down by the time someone on the West Coast is able to join in the evening.

It's not a problem if you are flexible, but even with a family and job I can say that I'd be able to raid a hell of a lot more if I lived on the East Coast.

Not sure if this is what Nuggie was talking about...

M.J.
10-12-2020, 06:20 PM
Excellent point for those with a few too many alts headed into the grind to 60. MJ, which classes were so insufferable that made you give up on them mid 50s?

I quit Shaman at 55 because of the attitude on blue of "just buy your epic and everything is easy." Green has blessedly been free of twink snobbery, and without 5+ years of Kunark hopefully it will stay that way until it recycles.

Donkey Hotay
10-12-2020, 06:30 PM
Is joke, comrades. "Known to cause cancer to the state of California" is something we burgers get to read on every other product label because Cal's been making up its own science for decades now.
It's the effective equivalent of stating "known to cause ESP interference by some crackpot in an RV".

enjchanter
10-12-2020, 06:59 PM
I quit Shaman at 55 because of the attitude on blue of "just buy your epic and everything is easy." Green has blessedly been free of twink snobbery, and without 5+ years of Kunark hopefully it will stay that way until it recycles.

I thought everyone was just playing green so they can flip legacy items in 4 years

Indecisive
10-13-2020, 03:26 PM
The SK is an easy class to play with great group utility as a tank, but you will take anywhere from 140% to 200% more time to level up depending on your race.

If you want to solo and don't care about groups, necro and druid probably are the two easiest to play solo. Necro will have less downtime, but druid will have the best group utility. Necros and druids can both probably solo any non-dungeon enemy in the game without a tremendous degree of skill.

Highest possible hybrid penalty is 68%, as a Troll or Iksar SK.

Comparing Druid and Necro group utility depends a lot on level, and level of skill, in my opinion. At high end, I think a Necro brings more to the table in general, and certainly brings more dps, even in cases where charm isn't available. Necro has an incredible toolkit, and is one of the best support classes in the game if utilized to its full potential.

Nuggie
10-13-2020, 04:06 PM
Is joke, comrades. "Known to cause cancer to the state of California" is something we burgers get to read on every other product label because Cal's been making up its own science for decades now.
It's the effective equivalent of stating "known to cause ESP interference by some crackpot in an RV".

Spot on, mate.

Toad1
10-13-2020, 05:18 PM
I thought everyone was just playing green so they can flip legacy items in 4 years

Servers will never merge dude, sorry you didnt get the message

greatdane
10-13-2020, 05:34 PM
Druid is the easiest and most QoL-friendly class. Even charming and quadding becomes easymode with 15 minute snare. There's nothing complex about druids whatsoever and you get to go anywhere at a moment's notice, make money while watching Netflix, PL your boxed alt mute wife's character, etc.

pivo
10-14-2020, 06:35 PM
Druid is the easiest and most QoL-friendly class. Even charming and quadding becomes easymode with 15 minute snare.

At what level you get this 15 minute snare? What is the spell name?

Tunabros
10-14-2020, 06:56 PM
Easiest class is rogue!!
Autoattack: The class!
With the ocassional button press!

greatdane
10-15-2020, 01:05 AM
At what level you get this 15 minute snare? What is the spell name?

https://wiki.project1999.com/Ensnare

I suppose it's only 13 minutes at level 60. Point being, it lasts literally forever.

FatherSioux
10-15-2020, 01:38 AM
I think this is the best quote ive ever read in 20 years about this game.

that's why a support class might be the best class in the long run since u have way more options at lvl 60 like helping out newbies levelling up instead of killing the same named over and over again as a dps/solo class till u finally burn out with 1million plat taking dust in your bank.

EQ is all about socializing with other ppl but many ppl forget that, especialy those playin independent classes.

Fun and adventure averse players are rampant. The good players break the mold.

pivo
10-15-2020, 01:52 AM
https://wiki.project1999.com/Ensnare

I suppose it's only 13 minutes at level 60. Point being, it lasts literally forever.

Ahh, this one! I already have it. Haven't tried it yet, will give it a spin, thank you! ;)