PDA

View Full Version : Spawn Chance Drop Chance thread - help improve the wiki!

Vdaria
09-04-2020, 11:08 AM
Wikis are incomplete. That's kind of their charm. But with this game's wiki in particular, there are a lot of missing spawn and drop chances, or the ones that are listed are wholly inaccurate. I've tried to update a few, but I just don't have the data I need to make them accurate. One person's 25 hour AC camp might follow another person's first spawn, after all.

So I made a really rudimentary wiki page (https://wiki.project1999.com/Spawn_Chance_Drop_Chance) that links to both a user form where people can input spawn and drop rate data and a spreadsheet where they can view the data that have been input. The only data we need are mob name, time you spent camping the mob, times you saw the mob, number of commons dropped and number of rares dropped. If people are interested in this and the responses start coming in, I will standardize the responses, copy them to the spreadsheet, do a bit of statistical work and then edit the wiki accordingly.

(Sorry for the duplicate thread - I couldn't edit the OP and I didn't want the information to be buried, so I hope a mod can lock or delete the other thread with a similar name.)

Sabin76
09-04-2020, 01:15 PM
Will you be cross referencing the zone's respawn time when looking at data for rare spawns (AC comes to mind), or if the mob/PH has a custom respawn timer?

Perhaps have two separate sheets: one with drops on spawns and one for rare spawns since the information provided will be slightly different.

Could also have one for rare quest rewards, like Ivandyr's Hoop, though I don't know how many quests that would actually be worth looking at.

Baler
09-04-2020, 01:20 PM
Drop chance ##% on the wiki is entirely wrong.
The drop chance text (always, common, uncommon, rare, ultra rare) has been hand crafted by players over the years to make it less wrong.

If I had my way I would remove all the ##% from every page and leave the drop chance text for players to continue to correct.
----
I like to think this mob has a fairly accurate drop chance text section
https://wiki.project1999.com/Xalgoz

Here is an example of a mob that uses the ##% and is not effectively accurate.
https://wiki.project1999.com/A_skeleton

P99 Wiki Drop Frequency Labels (https://wiki.project1999.com/Help:Contents#Named_Mobs)
Take that with a grain of salt. Ultra rare in terms of ##% is more like 00.#% rather than 5% or less.
So you can see why I feel trying to attach a number percent fails more than a label.
____
Off Topic but relative, Faction on the wiki is also majorly incorrect. Even in that example I gave it has -30 faction hits. That's not accurate to p99.
Almost every mob/item page was generated through Ravhin's Zam plugin. It gets the information quickly added to the wiki so that users can fine tune it to be accurate for p99.

@OP part of editing the wiki is being Bold and objective. If you feel you can improve it in an objective way DO IT. :)
I have observed your contributions to the wiki for several months, keep up the good work. I sincerely hope you gather some valuable data for the wiki!
Not to be a downer but if people can't take the time to edit the wiki, or even add to a discussion of a page. I find it far fetched they'd take the time to fill out a survey.
And there is a history on p99 of individuals pushing false data through to third party platforms.

Vdaria
09-04-2020, 02:02 PM
Will you be cross referencing the zone's respawn time when looking at data for rare spawns (AC comes to mind), or if the mob/PH has a custom respawn timer?

Perhaps have two separate sheets: one with drops on spawns and one for rare spawns since the information provided will be slightly different.

Could also have one for rare quest rewards, like Ivandyr's Hoop, though I don't know how many quests that would actually be worth looking at.

Because so many mobs have a custom spawn timer or mechanism, I was thinking of treating all the "valuable rares" on a case-by-case basis. For lesser monsters where I don't expect there to be a custom spawn mechanism or timer, I'll just use the zone's respawn time. As for the quests, I don't know of any other than Ivandyr's Hoop, but if that's the only exception or one of only very few, maybe people could just add in a uniquely identifying name e.g."Ivandyr" as the monster name and under time put '0'. Also I added a 3rd option for "ultra rare" drops for camps with three drops and the ivandyr's hoop quest. I also added "what zone were you in" because for many mobs they share a name between zones.

I see what you're saying about splitting the sheets into two, especially for unique spawn mechanisms or rares sharing the same spawn (e.g. the shraloks) but I was hoping to keep it all in one form to keep it simple to maximize the number of responses. For the shralok orcs, for example, I'll just have to combine the three orcs into one spawn timer manually and hope people input the same values for all 3 orcs when they camp them. For example, if I camp a shiny brass idol for 3 hours, I'm simultaneously camping the shiny brass halberd and the shralok pack, and I'd have to indicate that I camped each orc for 3 hours each when submitting the form to keep the data intact. I can forsee a ton of "Vopuk Shraloks" because of people camping idol but a lot of missing "Recfek Shraloks" and "Hagnis Shraloks", is what I'm getting at. This is a bit of a shortcoming of my form, but I don't know of a way around it. Other data integrity problems will be easier to spot, like people putting numbers in the wrong columns or people submitting junk data.

Not to be a downer but if people can't take the time to edit the wiki, or even add to a discussion of a page. I find it far fetched they'd take the time to fill out a survey.
And there is a history on p99 of individuals pushing false data through to third party platforms.
Hey I'm pretty pessimistic too, that's why I didn't put more effort into this ;) But I figured I'd try regardless.

Luigi
09-04-2020, 02:32 PM
Someone put FBSS Drop rate 20% please that sounds accurate

Vdaria
09-04-2020, 10:03 PM
Someone put FBSS Drop rate 20% please that sounds accurate

In the wiki or on the sheet? If you're referring to the entry on the sheet, it just looks like one person got a drop in 5:47 which sounds totally accurate if maybe a little lucky. If you're referring to the drop chance in the wiki, they're ALL inaccurate, I'm afraid; that's why I created a survey to collect more data.