PDA

View Full Version : Why do you denounce other player ?

Taxijoe
09-02-2020, 01:42 PM
Hello, not so long time reader, first time poster...

As the title summarizes it, why some of us denounce others without a shred of inquiry or interaction before hand ?

A little bit of background : I was playing with a friend in Perma, he was helping me PL in one of the most empty zone of the server at any time of the day when we both had the surprise to see a GM appears out of thin air. Drop group, join group, port to Unrest, boxing test, pass test and back to Perma. It took 15 mins max. The GM was very cool and I asked him why ? Answer : a petition was filed some days/weeks ago that I /we were boxing...
As simple as that. a baseless accusation wasted our time, mine, my friend’s and the GM’s.

All it took was a simple line with /petition in front from a anonymous person that surely didn’t event think twice about it.

Personal background : I am french and denunciation is a big moral and cultural dilemna in my country because of world war 2 and the occupation of france by the nazi. «*Good citizens*» at the time told the police and the nazy where they could find Jews who then were deported to camps. Which means that even 70 years later, denunciation is mostly used by people with an axe to grind against someone they envy. Jealous of your neighbour, write an anonymous letter to the French IRS, and all kind of variation.

So back to my question : why do it ? What is the personal/moral justification we/you use when you denounce someone. Why do we take up the mantle of justice and we denounce without even tryin to interact with the suspect first ?

I want to add that this is neither ranting or flaming, just a genuine question about a behavior I literally don’t understand and will never reciprocate.

Any insight is welcome and thx again to Blistig for being courteous during the whole process.

Side note : this is one of the most destabilizing experience I ve had in this game. I m still reeling from it, from the feeling of randomness and helplessness against my accuser. Uncanny might be the term.

madgarin
09-02-2020, 01:50 PM
Evidently it appeared you were boxing to someone.

Fammaden
09-02-2020, 02:00 PM
I agree, having to submit to a boxing test is very similar to being turned in to the Nazi occupation by your countrymen.

TheRusty
09-02-2020, 02:09 PM
I'm sorry, did you just compare being asked to prove you weren't breaking server rules to *checks notes* the fucking Holocaust?

sajbert
09-02-2020, 02:14 PM
I agree, having to submit to a boxing test is very similar to being turned in to the Nazi occupation by your countrymen.

-TK-
09-02-2020, 02:16 PM
That escalated quickly.

I wouldn't take it personal. This server takes a pretty serious no-tolerance stance on boxing and your quick little random 15 minute experience is one of the best ways to catch boxers. With limited volunteer CSR staff, the community is big on self-policing the no boxing policy so players report suspected boxers. Sounds like you were okay so I wouldn't think too much more about it.

OuterChimp
09-02-2020, 02:18 PM
So you port to Unrest for a boxing test? Why not "test" them right there? I don't get it.

Fammaden
09-02-2020, 02:21 PM
Not sure but the only time I've ever seen boxing tests its always right out in front of the maze in the Unrest courtyard so its a thing the GM's do for some reason.

Allishia
09-02-2020, 02:23 PM
Cause people box a lot and most time only get caught when people report it. They are just trying to keep server free of cheaters who box. If your innocent nothing to worry about. If guilty most usually go ld and come back to a suspension.

In like 2010/11 it was instant perma ban if caught boxing, now I think it's just a suspension on 1st offense.

But ya I wouldn't look at it from a negative point but more of a positive cause it helps keep servers free of boxing which is 100% why eq live sucks. /Nod.

They do fountain test cause it's the best way to test for boxing. Nearly impossible to run two toons around fountains without looking obvious.

-TK-
09-02-2020, 02:25 PM
In like 2010/11 it was instant perma ban if caught boxing, now I think it's just a suspension on 1st offense.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is an instant permaban on Green for boxing.

cannobeers3
09-02-2020, 02:53 PM
Maybe not the best comparison.

DMN
09-02-2020, 03:02 PM
Why do they do it? Because boxing is a real problem and you were doing something that someone interpreted as potential boxing.

Why did they not interact with you? It's not their job. Btw, devils advocate, how do you know they DIDN'T try to interact with you when you don't know who it was?

You weren't shipped off to a concentration camp for some indeterminable period. You were were mildly inconvenienced on the order of minutes. It sucks man but so do lots of other things related to being part of a larger community.

LoganVivisected
09-02-2020, 03:10 PM
Suspecting one of boxing makes you a nazi? Thats your angle? Thats your grief? Jesus, man. And the fact that you are "still reeling" from this?

Heard it here, folks, on P99, if you /petition, you're a nazi.

Taxijoe
09-02-2020, 03:42 PM
Thx for the constructive answers. For the others who chose to be offended by something I didn’t say, thx also. If you had taken the time of not focusing on my self inflicted Godwin point, I was trying to get a different cultural reference across. If you have the time, and the willingness to go outside of your own frame of mind, check what happened during the occupation of france, what we did, as a people, did to ourselves and others and try to understand why «*la délation*» is frowned upon in my country and only used a mean to harm others.
From what I gathered from some of those answers, in the US/UK, citizen don’t see any dilemnas there at all because they feel they are protective the collective good of the server. I do not necessarily agree but I do understand better now.

Baler
09-02-2020, 03:43 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is an instant permaban on Green for boxing.

Boxing is a permaban on any p99 server.

Play Nice Policy (PNP) - Server Rules and Expectations (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325349)
Section 6

Videri
09-02-2020, 03:59 PM
OP didn't say being reported for boxing is like being turned in to the Nazis. He brought up WWII to explain the French cultural view of reporting people to the authorities (which I didn't know, very interesting). His point is to ask why some players don't talk to people before reporting them. I know he crossed Godwin's Law, but please, try to pretend you want to understand him.

-TK-
09-02-2020, 04:07 PM
Boxing is a permaban on any p99 server.

Play Nice Policy (PNP) - Server Rules and Expectations (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325349)
Section 6

Thanks, Baler, but it does not explicitly say that it is a permaban in those rules and I don't believe it has always been a permaban in previous years. I feel like I remember seeing a GM saying in a thread somewhere recently that specifically on Green it is an instant permaban. I had reviewed the rules you linked before posting, and they only state that you 'may lose the account(s) involved.' Again, correct me if I'm wrong. The RMT section does, on the other hand, explicitly say 'permanent bans'.

Frenchflair
09-02-2020, 04:08 PM
Thx Vidari for this answer because you made me réalise that my underlying question was in fact «*why not take the time to talk to people before doing something more drastic?*».
But hey, it might be a more global problem than just EQ, who knows ? ��

Taxijoe
09-02-2020, 04:12 PM
Thx Vidari for explaining better than me.
Your post made me réalise that my underlying question was «*why don’t people take the time to talk before doing something more drastic ?*».

Videri
09-02-2020, 04:17 PM
I thought your post was clear and well-written. I'm not sure I could write something that well in my second language. It's unfortunate people got distracted from your true point.

Taxijoe
09-02-2020, 04:23 PM
Yup, we are sometimes so eager to be offended by something/someone, it gets harder to have a conversation nowadays.
I should maybe had some spices and foul language to my initial post and post in RnF for fun and giggles, it will cater to the audience there.

-TK-
09-02-2020, 04:39 PM
For all of those interested, I found what I was referencing earlier in the Green server specific rules.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337540

Boxing

As Senior Guide Menden has recently pointed out here, we will be enforcing the no-boxing policy hard on Green. The first time you are caught, it will be an automatic lifetime ban of the associated accounts (previously, it was a 30 day suspension).

Rang
09-02-2020, 07:19 PM
Soon we’ll have all the boxers on the trains headed to the camps.

AgentEpilot
09-03-2020, 12:46 AM
I remember the boxing tests in the great war, they were brutal. They just don't box test like they used to.

monkeydoc
09-03-2020, 10:28 AM
So, basically, in France snitches get stitches?