PDA

View Full Version : Remove the wiki to promote in-game interaction

NachtMystium
08-30-2020, 12:27 AM
I think it would add to the classic experience to remove the wiki.

The P99 wiki is a modern crutch to this 20 year old game and it only takes away from the immersion. Removing the wiki would create incentive on people to seek in-game answers and conversation and also creates room for people to make their own websites.

I'm sure someone would make a custom website that may replace the wiki eventually but dang wouldn't it be so much nicer without it? I think this is why alot of the groups / zones become silent, there's no real wonder or reason to engage in chat with other players besides friendly banter which the majority dont really care about.

Link to an original live everquest website I used to check out during middle school that is still up: http://www.angelfire.com/games2/ashnight/main.html

cd288
08-30-2020, 12:37 AM
Yeah cause there were never online resources through Velious *eyeroll*

Feracitus
08-30-2020, 12:43 AM
this is a battle that was lost a long time ago bro!

NachtMystium
08-30-2020, 12:52 AM
Yeah cause there were never online resources through Velious *eyeroll*

that's exactly my point, online resources but not to the extent of the wiki we have now

NachtMystium
08-30-2020, 12:54 AM
this is a battle that was lost a long time ago bro!

:(

Nuggie
08-30-2020, 01:18 AM
I'm not against the goal you're trying to achieve, but another would just pop up somewhere else.

DMN
08-30-2020, 01:23 AM
I think without a wiki you'd probably lose about 90% of any true noobs to EQ... and there still are quite few curious people from later MMO genre's checking it out. Of course we know this is a silly question because a different site would be up -- prolly a complete copy paste of the wiki maybe ven in another wiki. heh

Skarne
08-30-2020, 01:35 AM

The P99 wiki is a modern crutch to this 20 year old game and it only takes away from the immersion. Removing the wiki would create incentive on people to seek in-game answers and conversation and also creates room for people to make their own websites.

I'm sure someone would make a custom website that may replace the wiki eventually but dang wouldn't it be so much nicer without it? I think this is why alot of the groups / zones become silent, there's no real wonder or reason to engage in chat with other players besides friendly banter which the majority dont really care about.

Link to an original live everquest website I used to check out during middle school that is still up: http://www.angelfire.com/games2/ashnight/main.html

Thanks a ton for that link!! So cool that page is still up.

Castle2.0
08-30-2020, 01:38 AM
Removing the wiki would create incentive on people to seek in-game answers and conversation and also creates room for people to make their own websites. Incorrect, this will simply encourage someone to host an exact copy of the wiki. I would wager platinum to copper that someone has a copy on their computer somewhere.

Sorry, your idea won't create the outcome you think it will, but there are a near infinite number of ways to increase in-game interactions.

I put on an epic newbie quest once where I gave away a Box of Abu-kar when a newbie completed an "epic" (for their level) quest.

If you want to see more of this in-game, you gotta put in the work. We need addition, not subtraction.

Jibartik
08-30-2020, 01:40 AM
:(

i feel u bro

but yeah there's nothing you can do, this is just the natural reality of a game that at one point felt infinite but turns out like everything else, isnt. I wonder if the universe is?

edit:

dat link is great.

drools in elvish:

https://i.imgur.com/2qeJC3i.png

Swish
08-30-2020, 03:20 AM
http://web.archive.org

Your move, remover ;)

Also we had Castersrealm, Everlore and Allakhazam from 1999... there was always discussion on those forums.

NachtMystium
08-30-2020, 03:31 AM
http://web.archive.org

Your move, remover ;)

Also we had Castersrealm, Everlore and Allakhazam from 1999... there was always discussion on those forums.

right but that's what i already addressed above, just wish we could truly go 1999 mode and bring back the third party shit like geocities and angelfire, just something that wasn't an easy lookup as it is today. I realize now it isn't really feasible but really wish I was going to some no-name barbarians geocities website rather than a lifeless wiki for easy answers and methods

Jibartik
08-30-2020, 03:45 AM
Did this quest (https://wiki.project1999.com/Hukulk%27s_Love) on my own without the use of the internet in 99, was the hardest thing I've ever done, first thing someone asked me was what website I looked the quest up on. I was like, wat.

Swish
08-30-2020, 03:55 AM
If custom content is ever a thing on the blue server, it would be good to have some custom quests that aren't easy to figure out - making use of existing NPCs so people won't be able to quickly identify obvious markers for something new :)

...and on another note, try to do quests yourself without help if that's something you enjoy. I know I'm very limited with my knowledge of smaller Velious quests and could go the route of not looking anything up and be "stuck" for days/weeks :p

Taiku
08-30-2020, 04:58 AM
eqatlas

Jibartik
08-30-2020, 05:15 AM
Ive wondered if you just randomized all the spawn points, and item drops in the game, you'd get a pretty awesome experience for us old school fans. Hear me out....

Instead of hand mixing everything up, I think it would be cooler if you just took creatures in the game and the items they dropped, put em in a bucket, shook it all up, so they switched who dropped what item, and then had RNG place all all the enemies with their new items, randomly, all over the world.

All the creatures would retain their same level(s) but their items would be random, and where they static spawn in the world would now be totally different. And leave the starting cities alone.

A bloodthirsty ghoul could now be a static spawn where a bard for the mail quest used to spawn.

A bard from the mail quest spawns down where the ghould lord used to spawn.

Nagafin may spawn where that grizzly bear that paths up to the zone-line of BlackBurrow spawned... and he only drops mesh armor lol

I know that sounds insane, but auto randomizing everything instead of hand authoring "second quest" would be so unpredictable, it would feel as confusing and weird and goofy as classic 1999 EQ used to feel.

Like, the only reason to kill naggy in the instance above would be because getting in and out of everfrost was literally impossible if we didn't, as a server put raids together to kill it... but no person in their right mind would ever decide to do something like that in a game...

but something like that would be super fun and challenging and interesting for us to overcome I think.

Think about how weird the dedicated barbarian players would be leveling like to 40 in everfrost before the server finally killed naggy and they could get through BB... It'd be such a randomly weird new experience.

Like nothing would make sense again.

It would be awesome.

https://i.imgur.com/EWZEBL1.gif

Nuggie
08-30-2020, 09:58 AM
Thread hijack:

This was a fun day:
http://www.angelfire.com/realm/Wyndcallers/everquest/conquest.html

One of the people from this guild used to play here. Ketsui. I was in skyshrine when they woke the sleeper.

Fammaden
08-30-2020, 11:00 AM
The wiki is already a player made resource, its not maintained by P99 staff.

Arvan
08-30-2020, 12:16 PM
Wiki is def number one or close to number one not classic thing on p99 right after yellow text fte and “racing”.

Zuranthium
08-30-2020, 12:42 PM
Ive wondered if you just randomized all the spawn points, and item drops in the game, you'd get a pretty awesome experience

Yeah I've been saying this for a long time. Not completely random, because each area of the game should retain its own feeling (Frogloks in Guk/Seb, Gnolls in Splitpaw, etc), but changing things up significantly. Once a script has been decided upon, it doesn't take any extra work to have constantly shifting content for the players to experience, since item drop locations and how many NPC's spawn in a room, or the exact place an NPC spawns, would be everchanging. For the Dragons/Gods it wouldn't be about changing their spawn location, but rather introducing different "henchmen" that spawn whenever they are engaged, making those fights more exciting/difficult and giving everyone something important to do (more tanks and caster DPS would become relevant).

Feracitus
08-30-2020, 03:06 PM
i could see a new mmo developed in a way that quests are unique to your character, so that you wont be able to look it up online and have to figure it out on your own.

Zuranthium
08-30-2020, 03:37 PM
i could see a new mmo developed in a way that quests are unique to your character, so that you wont be able to look it up online and have to figure it out on your own.

Yeah that's another part of randomization, although in terms of quest lines I'm sure a website could eventually list all of the different possible prompts. Still, it would at least require a different path to be taken for every quest, and with NPC's and item drops being randomized, that requires people to actually play through the whole content of an area, instead of just going and camping a single NPC in each zone.

pivo
08-30-2020, 04:08 PM

One of the most stupid suggestions I have heard. So you are a member from Jun 2010, you are playing for over decade, you of course don't need Wiki, since you don't need it any more, lets just remove it for new players. Genius!

To force in game immersion on players. Where are coming all these people lately, (talking RL here also) keep trying to force something on someones.

What about a CHOICE? Someone, who wants better immersion, can ignore Wiki and online resources.

Someone, who would like to get some help, lets that player use Wiki. (like you probably did it in your first years)
I wonder, how many new players would give up without Wiki help. How would this help P99 community?

Choice buddy!
Not acting like small dictator. More and more people lately wants to force their will on others. Yuck! Stupid suggestion!

Jibartik
08-30-2020, 04:28 PM
The problem is everquest is all about "figuring it out"

so it has to be random, but it cant be procedural.

like you need to be able to learn and figure it out, for it to be eq.

But it can be changed every server reset!

But I will be honest, I wouldnt trust a living soul with this task, which is why I think you need to leave it to fate to decide.

Just take every mob, and every item, randomize it, and let the cards fall where they lay.

If the server is so broken its impossible, so be it. We'll figure out how to anyway.

If a person tried to re-create it, they would just create boring instances that were easy to figure out. And never, EVER do any of the insane stuff that brad and his team did, because only he can think like RNjesus, because he is the one true RNjesus.

But pure random, is pure random and crazy, and nothing is more classic than pure random and crazy. :)

Nuggie
08-30-2020, 08:04 PM
One of the most stupid suggestions I have heard. So you are a member from Jun 2010, you are playing for over decade, you of course don't need Wiki, since you don't need it any more, lets just remove it for new players. Genius!

That's kind of the modus operandi of game devs. Leave something in long enough, coincidentally, for the hard core people to abuse it, THEN nerf it so the casuals can't use it.

solleks
08-31-2020, 11:44 AM
Wiki ruins the game

Baler
08-31-2020, 12:57 PM
I sometimes wonder if people think the wiki had everything it does now in one click of a button...

It's taken years of people contributing to the wiki to make it what it is today.

Removing the wiki would be like removing your arms, I mean fuck it you spent all that time growing them who needs em.

7thGate
08-31-2020, 12:58 PM
Allakazahm wasn't far behind the modern wiki in terms of utility by the time Kunark launched, which is when I joined. It wasn't comprehensive and had a bunch of wrong info, but so does the wiki. I remember getting all of the maps and things from websites and looking up how to do quests and stuff on live, its always been there in a centralized location.

Luigi
08-31-2020, 01:06 PM
is there a limit on how many times you can die on this game? im not very good !

peterpal
08-31-2020, 01:09 PM
Exactly, I had a binder of printed maps back then.

Jibartik
08-31-2020, 01:39 PM
"whats the rarest mob in the game?"
*looks at wiki
"I spawned him!"

Baler
08-31-2020, 02:13 PM
It physically hurts to think people dislike the wiki.
P99's wiki is BETTER than zam and a labor of love from this community.

I truly hope people continue to contribute to the p99 wiki.
Documenting classic everquest on the wiki has lead to MANY classic fixes on p99 that many of you take for granted.

fastboy21
08-31-2020, 02:32 PM
You'd need a time machine to remove the information in the wiki from the gaming community...also one of those fancy mind-wipe devices from men in black.

Besides, the game is complex enough (and punishes errors severely enough) that there are still lots of half-truths and errors in the wiki (and common game knowledge) that require you to seek out and find a person who can answer your questions.

Even a casual player finds out quickly that just using the wiki isn't going to cut it.

Coridan
08-31-2020, 08:15 PM
Everlore was my go to back in the day (along with EQAtlas of course). I also miss ol' Lumthemad.net for the classic equivalent of RnF lol

Pootle
09-01-2020, 06:01 AM

SO take away the Wiki, because it inhibits immersion, but also this will allow someone to create... another wiki???