PDA

View Full Version : Most Iconic Classic Races for Each Class

Fammaden
08-11-2020, 09:43 AM
By iconic I mean the race most people are most likely to think of if you play word association with that class or when they picture that class quickly in their mind.

Enchanter: High Elf

Magician: Gnome

Necromancer: Dark Elf

Wizard: Erudite

Cleric: Dwarf

Druid: Halfling

Shaman: Barbarian

Bard: Half Elf

Monk: Human (also after Iksars, still the iconic monk race)

Ranger: Wood Elf

Rogue: Dwarf

Paladin: Dwarf

Shadow Knight: Troll

Warrior: Ogre

If you disagree you are probably wrong. This also clearly establishes dwarves as the master race.

drackgon
08-11-2020, 10:23 AM
Enchanter High elf- Cha junkys, and high Int(usually agnostic or tunare (PoG era)

Magician :gnome..come on any other reason not 2 be a gnome for this class.

Necro: DE(erud close 2nd paineel =bae), High int, living underground, city has skulls come on.

Cleric: tough..Id think dwarf. (roll is amazing), but I see more dwarfs then any other. Though Id prefer gnome:)

druid:Halfing hands down, maybe woodelf 2nd

Shaman: Barb 10000%(yes I know its worst midmax troll/orge ftw), my first and main on live.

Bard: half elf clearly

Monk Human, iskars are a thing. But still I remember way more humans then iskar on live.

Ranger: People play this? umm wood elf I guess

Rogue: halfing, dwarf, no barb..noo definitely hafling <3

Paladin: Dwarf..but truly frog of Mithaniel Marr.. (the best)

Shadow Knight: Orge, then DE.. trolls fugly(P.s. Soulfire=SK wp)

Warrior: Dwarf.. roll end of story.

Wizard: I generally picture High elf.. but truly Erudite is master race for Wizzy.

Izmael
08-11-2020, 10:29 AM
True classicness means a lot of Humans. People would chose Human whenever possible back then, as their first character, simply because they had no idea about the game and they'd pick "a safe choice".

There were a lot of Human wizards or Necros running around... stuff you don't see too much nowadays.

Castle2.0
08-11-2020, 11:36 AM
On Green...

Enchanter: Dark Elf

Magician: Dark Elf

Wizard: Dark Elf

Cleric: Dark Elf

Druid: Dark Elf

Shaman: Dark Elf

Bard: Dark Elf

Monk: Dark Elf

Ranger: Dark Elf

Rogue: Dark Elf

Paladin: Dark Elf

Shadow Knight: Dark Elf

Warrior: Dark Elf

And that's just how it is, guise!

Jibartik
08-11-2020, 12:12 PM
My perfered race choice:

Enchanter: Human

Magician: Human/Guise

Necromancer: Human/Guise

Wizard: Human/Guise

Cleric: Human/Guise

Druid: Human/Guise

Shaman: Troll/Guise

Bard: Human/Guise

Monk: Human/Guise

Ranger: Human/Guise

Rogue: Human/Guise

Paladin: Human/Guise

Shadow Knight: Human/Guise

Warrior: Human/Guise

Castle beat me to the joke! :p

Zuranthium
08-11-2020, 01:24 PM

Cleric: Human

Druid: Wood Elf

Monk: Iksar

Rogue: Halfling

Paladin: Human

I ended up not picking Dwarf for anything. Paladin has to go to Human, because they are the most vanilla and the archetype is rooted in the real-world crusades. Do you really think of a short, fat, beer drinker when the word Paladin comes to mind? Nah. Humans are the most unspectacular and yet most populated race, the ones who are most in need of turning to a "divine power" in order to find meaning and sense of empowerment. I also picked Human for Cleric, for those similar reasons, and also because when I think of that class I just think "boring".

uygi
08-11-2020, 01:30 PM
Back in the day on Live, my first thoughts would have been:

Enchanter: HIE
Magician: DEF... just because I played one on SZ :D
Necromancer: ERU or DEF
Wizard: I don't have a strong association here, DEF, ERU or GNM
Cleric: Again no stand out from classic, DWF or HIE probably
Druid: ELF for sure, HFL very secondary
Shaman: BAR by a long shot... most players felt that "evil" was a serious disadvantage
Bard: HUM
Monk: HUM... nobody had any idea we'd be playing Iksars or that they'd be vastly superior monks, and almost no players were min/maxing then anyways.
Ranger: ELF by a lot, probably HUM second and HEF last
Rogue: BAR and HFL; BAR for the STR and HFL cus Bilbo.
Paladin: DWF, with HUM and HIE not too far off
Shadow Knight: DEF was the classic choice, though people that understood stats and slam would pick TRL/OGR
Warrior: BAR or maybe DWF... people didn't want to be "evil" if they had a choice.

Iksars are eliminated from the list, as nobody knew about them (and what little we knew didn't indicate how OP they were...) and also cus the vast majority of players were very sub-50 when Kunark came out.

Evil toons were extremely undesirable because they were logistically tough. Where will you bank? What vendors will you use? Where will you bind!? I played a lot of classic on Sullon Zek so I probably picture a very above-average number of dark elves, since I was on the evil team.

Virtually nobody min/maxed. Throughout the entire original extent of the p99 eras there was serious debate about what different stats even did for you. Rangers maxing AGI to be better "tanks", INT classes stacking STA for more hp, you name it. The misunderstandings faded over time, but in Kunark era there were still plenty of players that had no idea. I remember giving explanations of what each stat did to sell the jewlery, and having people argue with me, like the guy that wouldn't buy my +INT and +WIS jewelry (and loudly told everyone I was a fraud) because "only base stats from character creation determine mana".

Jimjam
08-11-2020, 01:32 PM
Shaman: barbarian
Everything else: human

uygi
08-11-2020, 01:33 PM
Shaman: barbarian
Everything else: human

...only until you log in as a level one and are completely blind...

DMN
08-11-2020, 01:49 PM
Barbarian for rogue but just slightly. Truth is I see tons of rogue races. It's prolly the most diverse race-wise.

Clerics are about even split between high elf and dorfs in my mind. (Though I think you are much better off rolling a an inny human)

DE for wizard. I don't even remember the last time I saw an erud wizard on green but I'm sure I've seen at least half a dozen DE ones since then.

Some of you responding really need to resd the original post: "By iconic I mean the race most people are most likely to think of if you play word association with that class or when they picture that class quickly in their mind."

Fammaden
08-11-2020, 02:54 PM
I ended up not picking Dwarf for anything. Paladin has to go to Human, because they are the most vanilla and the archetype is rooted in the real-world crusades. Do you really think of a short, fat, beer drinker when the word Paladin comes to mind?

I agree that both Paladins and SK's are crusaders. They are religious fanatics. Basically warriors who are out to conquer not just for the usual spoils of war but in the name of their gods.

But dwarves, despite being fat little drunks, are basically a literal underground cult devoted to Brell. Its not at all out of tune with the race to be religious zealots. It seems more odd when a human goes all-in on a deity like that when they live in cities full of a variety of people with different beliefs all living together in relative harmony.

Far from being the unifying factor that Brell is to dwarves or Inny is to DE's, lopsided adherence to one god only causes problems in human cities so they'd have additional reasons not to become TOO fanatical about religion.

As a tangent, the two sides of knights aren't that much different in this regard, its their gods who have opposing goals, the goal of the knight itself is to wage war for the victory of their deity. Pretty fucked up either way. You will see the truth of Mithaniel Marr or be purged!!! Yikes man can we just chill out and farm some loot?

BlackBellamy
08-11-2020, 02:54 PM
Some of you responding really need to resd the original post: "By iconic I mean the race most people are most likely to think of if you play word association with that class or when they picture that class quickly in their mind."

I read that literally and since it wasn't specific to EQ my answer would be "Human" for every single one. The non-EQ popular sources generally outweigh any EQ sources, these being very niche.

Fammaden
08-11-2020, 02:56 PM
Barbarian for rogue but just slightly. Truth is I see tons of rogue races. It's prolly the most diverse race-wise.

This was the hardest choice to me, halflings and gnomes feel iconic as well and the whole class kinda makes the most sense as a human in some ways. I feel like dwarf has always been a very popular choice for the class though and it tends to be the first thing I picture in my mind for an EQ rogue.

TheRusty
08-11-2020, 04:29 PM
Bard: Half-Elf
Enchanter: Air Elemental
Ranger: Wood elf
Rogue: Human
Wizard: Erudite.

But how about anti-iconics?!

Bard: Humans
Cleric: Gnomes
Druid: Half-Elf
Enchanter: Any race without robe graphics
Magician: High elf
Monk: Human
Necromancer: Gnome
Paladin: Erudite
Ranger: Human
Rogue: Dark elf (no point to getting the guise, after all!)
Shadow Knight: Human
Shaman: Ogre
Warrior: Wood elf
Wizard: Human

Zuranthium
08-11-2020, 05:51 PM
Barbarians and Dwarves shouldn't even have Rogue as one of their class choices. It's not in their cultures to be shady loners, and they definitely are not what I think of when a sneaky, stealthy, nimble person comes to mind.

I agree that both Paladins and SK's are crusaders. They are religious fanatics. Basically warriors who are out to conquer not just for the usual spoils of war but in the name of their gods.

But dwarves, despite being fat little drunks, are basically a literal underground cult devoted to Brell. Its not at all out of tune with the race to be religious zealots. It seems more odd when a human goes all-in on a deity like that when they live in cities full of a variety of people with different beliefs all living together in relative harmony.

I don't agree with the part about it seeming odd for humans to be religious; they do it because they feel like it makes them more important. Whereas a race like Dwarves, there's little special status to be gained, people don't much care if you've chosen that path. I don't think Dwarves care as much about expanding their religion and going to war for it either, they are preoccupied with living underground and their specific way of life, and mainly want to protect their territory.

Jimjam
08-11-2020, 06:22 PM
Barbarians and Dwarves shouldn't even have Rogue as one of their class choices. It's not in their cultures to be shady loners, and they definitely are not what I think of when a sneaky, stealthy, nimble person comes to mind.

I don't agree with the part about it seeming odd for humans to be religious; they do it because they feel like it makes them more important. Whereas a race like Dwarves, there's little special status to be gained, people don't much care if you've chosen that path. I don't think Dwarves care as much about expanding their religion and going to war for it either, they are preoccupied with living underground and their specific way of life, and mainly want to protect their territory.

Dwarfs are interesting... their rogues guild forbids crime in Kaladim, so instead they embezzle, extort and defraud their closest allies, such as Akanon (see quest ‘The Take’).

Personally, I don’t think the miners guild works as a concept for dwarf rogues. I think the cover for a dwarf rogue guild would be some kind of loophole lawyer firm.

uygi
08-11-2020, 08:18 PM
But how about anti-iconics?!
Warrior: Wood elf

Hey now, in p99 Blue classic era one of the most famous and highest ranking ...and perhaps therefore iconic... players on the server was a wood elf warrior. Otherwise, how could he have RMTd the entire guildbank and overcharged my insane guildy for the toon!?

Or maybe he was a half elf. I forget.

Bigsham
08-11-2020, 08:27 PM
Enchanter: Gnome

Necromancer: Gnome

Wizard: Gnome

Cleric: Gnome

Druid: Druids are garbage

Shaman: Troll

Bard: Wood Elf

Rogue: Gnome

Paladin: Delete this class, if you had to i guess dwarf

Warrior: Troll first, wood elf second

Bigsham
08-11-2020, 08:28 PM
See you in thurgadin!.

Vizax_Xaziv
08-11-2020, 08:53 PM
True classicness means a lot of Humans. People would chose Human whenever possible back then, as their first character, simply because they had no idea about the game and they'd pick "a safe choice".

There were a lot of Human wizards or Necros running around... stuff you don't see too much nowadays.

I remember back during Vanilla people also thought that Humans had a XP Bonus. I believe it was printed in one of the EQ strategy guides (perhaps even theanual itself?)

Evia
08-11-2020, 08:55 PM

Monk: Iksar (I like human better, but iksar is definitely the iconic choice)

Ranger: Human(wood elf most popular but I always imagine human ranger first)

uygi
08-11-2020, 09:35 PM
I believe it was printed in one of the EQ strategy guides (perhaps even theanual itself?)

I believe they were supposed to by design, but somebody coded it incorrectly and gave the bonus to halflings, so it just stayed that way. The guide and the character creation interface made it a given that humans were the "standard" race by which others were judged. Humans have the most boring stats of all, 75 across the board (before class bonuses and discretionary points) but that makes them "standard" and 75 is the "typical", "average" or "base" value for each stat. No coincidence that the defensive penalty is applied to any toon under 75 AGI!

cd288
08-11-2020, 11:34 PM

Magician: Erudite

Wizard: High Elf

Shaman: Troll

Monk: Human

Shadow Knight: This is the toughest one IMO. Probably Troll but Human and Dark Elf are up there too

Warrior: Human

Palemoon
08-14-2020, 10:20 AM
By iconic I mean the race most people are most likely to think of if you play word association with that class or when they picture that class quickly in their mind.

Monk: Human (also after Iksars, still the iconic monk race)

If you disagree you are probably wrong. This also clearly establishes dwarves as the master race.

List accurate except these two glaring examples:

Should be: Rogue = Halfling and Paladin = Human