PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know anything about the random vertical shaft behind Vox's Lair?

uygi
08-10-2020, 09:27 PM
I started messing around looking for unreachable geometry in zones, like the "GM rooms", and I noticed this tall vertical shaft behind Vox. It's behind the door in the lair, at the end of the dead-end tunnel.

It's pretty tall, and it has a texture across the top. Anybody know any trivia about this, maybe at one time devs considered it might go to/from somewhere? Is it just to explain how the giants get in and out? Presumably that Priest of Nagafen goes home for holidays, and the regular entrance can't even fit an ogre, never mind a giant...

Tankwipe
08-10-2020, 09:30 PM
Looks like an unused entrance or exit?

Jibartik
08-10-2020, 09:33 PM
that is how vox goes out to go do the dirty with her boyfriend naggy which is NOT ALLOWED.

She was imprisoned there by kerafyrm, upon waking the dragon these two when up will say:

Lord Nagafen:
Ha! The Ring and Claws are doomed! The Sleeper has been awakened, what a glorious day! Lady Vox, I will see you soon, our long delayed nuptials can now proceed!

While Lady Vox:
The Sleeper stirs! A glorious new age for Norrath is about to begin, and my exile is about to end!

uygi
08-10-2020, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I immediately thought about how you can jump into The Hole and land by Master Yael. Maybe a "dangerous shortcut" was an idea.

If it was going to connect somewhere some day, what the heck could they have thought of connecting it to? Unless it would have just been into Everfrost... perhaps the dungeon was designed before the Everfrost was (by a different dev) and it was there as a connection option? Seems unlikely they would have made it an exit from Perma, but an entrance in...
that is how vox goes out to go do the dirty with her boyfriend naggy which is NOT ALLOWED.
There's no way she can squish through there. Besides, where would they go to hook up? Naggy's car? I mean, Naggy will melt her palace, and she'd probly have some issues in his lair, although maybe the melting is just lube...

Jibartik
08-10-2020, 09:40 PM
There's no way she can squish through there.

rathe mountains are north of lake rath :o

Besides, where would they go to hook up? Naggy's car?

yes definitely (https://pics.ballmemes.com/10-all-i-did-was-search-for-aww-yiss-why-51717422.png).

Tankwipe
08-10-2020, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I immediately thought about how you can jump into The Hole and land by Master Yael. Maybe a "dangerous shortcut" was an idea.

If it was going to connect somewhere some day, what the heck could they have thought of connecting it to? Unless it would have just been into Everfrost... perhaps the dungeon was designed before the Everfrost was (by a different dev) and it was there as a connection option? Seems unlikely they would have made it an exit from Perma, but an entrance in...

There's no way she can squish through there. Besides, where would they go to hook up? Naggy's car? I mean, Naggy will melt her palace, and she'd probly have some issues in his lair, although maybe the melting is just lube...
In traditional DnD rules, older dragons can polymorph at will, enabling all sorts of shenanigans in and outside the lair.

Another idea might be that the geometry of the level might have just been rearranged to fit some design need, leaving a formerly connected shaft out there in space.

uygi
08-10-2020, 09:43 PM
Hmm that's an interesting idea. Maybe there were tunnels above Vox in some iteration.

uygi
08-10-2020, 09:48 PM
yes definitely (https://pics.ballmemes.com/10-all-i-did-was-search-for-aww-yiss-why-51717422.png).

The artist got the dragon colors wrong, but that is most definitely Naggy's car.

Jibartik
08-10-2020, 09:48 PM
That shaft may be left there by the designer that left the paper trail of "how vox got into that cave" which, I used to ask my friends at the lunch table back in 99.

Here's a great writeup on the lady https://www.writeups.org/lady-vox-everquest/

Editing in this from that link:

The Lady Vox and a fellow Ring of Scale dragon, Lord Nagafen, fell in love — but one of the elements of Nagafen was fire, making theirs a forbidden love. The couple decided to reject all laws of their kind and have a taboo child that would destroy all dragons.

Presumably, they knew from the war against the Sleeper that such a creature would not harm its parents – or perhaps they had a plan to eliminate it after the great war.

However the renegade lovers’s plan was discovered, and they were hunted down by their kind. The couple had a contingency plan and they fled to the continent of Tunaria (later called Antonica) in separate hideouts ; Lady Vox found refuge in the frozen land of Everfrost whilst Lord Nagafen hid in the Lavastorm Mountains.

but that is most definitely Naggy's car.

:D

uygi
08-10-2020, 10:09 PM
Everyone knows that Kerafym isn't the child of Vox and Nagafen. I don't know if there's a solid explanation for Kerafym's origin.

PoP did have one (or were there two) prismatic dragons, but that really has nothing to do with Norrath at all... presumably they were planar projections or avatars of some type? I dunno.

I recall some people trying to draw connections between Quarm and Kerafym, but TBH the lore of the game had been shat out at random for years at that point, so who cares. AFAIK Luclin, and to a lesser extent LDoN, were the end of even attempting to keep the lore consistent.

getsome
08-11-2020, 01:10 AM

She was imprisoned there by kerafyrm, upon waking the dragon these two when up will say:

They were imprisoned by the dragons of the ring of scale because they did not want another “kerafym” style dragon. i.e. dragons of different colors/Magic’s mating.

Sabin76
08-11-2020, 01:24 AM
How else is Santa supposed to get presents to Vox?

Jibartik
08-11-2020, 05:21 AM
They were imprisoned by the dragons of the ring of scale because they did not want another “kerafym” style dragon. i.e. dragons of different colors/Magic’s mating.

Yeah that's true, i cant remeber if kera is their love child? or they were in the process of making one before they went into hiding? But they first went to their layers on their own to hide from veeshan and the Ring of scale, but then were sealed in after, so I think that shaft is rements of how vox got in and out, before they were sealed in.

The physical scale in things like that are always off in this game haha I mean, I could be wrong Im just guessing.

Jimjam
08-11-2020, 08:52 AM
Scale is inconsistent in everquest.

My personal theory is there was meant to be a pitfall in everfrost that lands you in here. There are areas in the mountains around permafrost which do seem almost like they were intended to work that way.

My guess implementation never completed cos having a drop down from a level 1+ zone into a dragon lair is harsh, even for eq.

Alternatively maybe this large icy shaft is just Vox’s Childo. She don’t get to play with the other dragons no more after her imprisonment.

OuterChimp
08-11-2020, 09:20 AM
That shaft is what the kittens fell down that you now see in Befallen.

uygi
08-11-2020, 12:44 PM
having a drop down from a level 1+ zone into a dragon lair is harsh, even for eq.

Back in the day, how many new players (in the single digits) do you think lost their corpse at Master Yael's feet? The east side of Everfrost is at least a teens-level area.

Jimjam
08-11-2020, 01:34 PM
You got me there. But now I think the hole was implemented by the guy that wanted to put the death drop into vox’s lair.

I also have to say, on the subject of Odus, it all feels like a really bad taste joke. From Erud ‘in’, to ‘Pain eel’ from ‘the hole’ to a bunch of coloured folk destroying pussy... maybe I’m projecting my own racism but the continent is cringe racist.

douglas1999
08-12-2020, 02:28 PM
maybe I’m projecting my own racism

ding ding ding!

Pretzelle
08-12-2020, 02:36 PM
Yeah that's true, i cant remeber if kera is their love child? or they were in the process of making one before they went into hiding? But they first went to their layers on their own to hide from veeshan and the Ring of scale, but then were sealed in after, so I think that shaft is rements of how vox got in and out, before they were sealed in.

The physical scale in things like that are always off in this game haha I mean, I could be wrong Im just guessing.

Kerafyrm wasn't theirs, but yeah, they wanted to make another -- their script when he's released confirms as much.

uygi
08-13-2020, 05:36 PM
Very common misconception that they're Kerafym's parents.

I think Kerafym may have been the first prismatic dragon? He was a general in the CoV IIRC, very powerful and very controversial among dragons at the time. He kept amassing more power and becoming more uncontollable... by the time there was a concensus that he was a problem to be dealt with, it was very hard to do. That, plus the whole dragons-can't-kill-other-dragons rule, resulted in the huge debacle of creating ST and assigning the warders to trap him for all of eternity.

Bigsham
08-13-2020, 08:23 PM
Look at the color of the top, its a portal or zone

adruidarkly
08-14-2020, 03:48 AM
it's for airing out the poop socks