PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Person perspective is NOT clasic

fallingstar
07-30-2020, 09:09 PM
The ability to use your mouse wheel to zoom into 3rd person wasn't added till PoP era.

The only 3rd person option you had was one of the views in the F9 cameras and it was laaaame.

This is a game-breaking thing because you can target things you can'y in first person by looking around corners that you shouldn't be able to.

Jibartik
07-30-2020, 09:11 PM
You can look around corners with TAB in classic. Mouse-wheel isnt classic, but it provides no advantage to any non pvp everquest gameplay.

But there are not enough mobs in Oasis I believe this is true! :mad: Signed, my level 15 character.

Tankwipe
07-30-2020, 10:45 PM
ok

Nuggie
07-30-2020, 10:47 PM
Bud, there's some things they can't change about the titanium client.

DMN
07-30-2020, 11:06 PM
Bud, there's some things they can't change about the titanium client.

But who says this is one of them? the frequency in which I see people on p99 playing outside of first person is certainly non-classic in any event. People almost exclusively only changed views to target shit or see if (or how close) something is following them from behind or perhaps some kind of screenshot they wanted to include themselves in. Having it "wheelable" probably exacerbates the problem by making it too easy to switch around,

The only people who used it with any frequency in standard gameplay tended to be lull/FD classes.

Jibartik
07-31-2020, 12:03 AM
I set my tab to F back in 99 and would smack that baby every 10 seconds. I didn't spend all that time collecting loot to look at other people!

DMN
07-31-2020, 01:17 AM
I don't even remember what the hell tab did originally. But I don't recall being able to change the view at all outside of cycling the cameras, which would mean in order to get the camera angle you wanted you'd have to click through a bunch of others. You couldn't flip back and forth between two either, you'd have to entirely cycle through them all to witch between 2 preferred views.

Jibartik
07-31-2020, 01:54 AM
I don't even remember what the hell tab did originally. But I don't recall being able to change the view at all outside of cycling the cameras, which would mean in order to get the camera angle you wanted you'd have to click through a bunch of others. You couldn't flip back and forth between two either, you'd have to entirely cycle through them all to witch between 2 preferred views.

Tab cycled through the same camera angles it does on p99 sans a couple of them (that parascope one i think is unclassic) and it's extremely easy to use, and helpful.

Honestly not using even on p99 to me would be like finding out someone turns with their keyboard. I still smash that f key every 10 seconds.

speaking of periscope cam, you want to talk game breaking, periscope cam really is one of those things I think "man I couldn't live without this if I was sent back to 99" while Im running through practically every outdoor zone looking for things.

I should say, I think there is 100% zero advantage you get from the mousewheel outside of pvp combat, I will die on that mountain. :cool: So it's not breaking anything. But it is not classic.

Thank god too, no time to fix that when we have the top end guilds to put lists into play for so they have an enjoyable unclassic non competitive raiding system to compete with :o

fallingstar
07-31-2020, 03:05 AM
Its also a totally different experience playing in a non 1st person view. The 1sp person view was what made you feel like you where your characters...

DMN
07-31-2020, 03:13 AM
Its also a totally different experience playing in a non 1st person view. The 1sp person view was what made you feel like you where your characters...

Ya, it's probably why i can't stand using the "WoW camera angle" which is what it feels like. It's particularly cringeworthy watching videos of people exclusively playing with that camera angle.

cd288
07-31-2020, 08:50 AM
Tab cycled through the same camera angles it does on p99 sans a couple of them (that parascope one i think is unclassic) and it's extremely easy to use, and helpful.

Honestly not using even on p99 to me would be like finding out someone turns with their keyboard. I still smash that f key every 10 seconds.

speaking of periscope cam, you want to talk game breaking, periscope cam really is one of those things I think "man I couldn't live without this if I was sent back to 99" while Im running through practically every outdoor zone looking for things.

I should say, I think there is 100% zero advantage you get from the mousewheel outside of pvp combat, I will die on that mountain. :cool: So it's not breaking anything. But it is not classic.

Thank god too, no time to fix that when we have the top end guilds to put lists into play for so they have an enjoyable unclassic non competitive raiding system to compete with :o

Curious how you think the lists keep things non competitive. In fact they do quite the opposite. They prevent one guild from violating the rules to monopolize a camp in order to skip multiple islands of a raid while every other guild has to go through those islands. Quite literally it would’ve been non competitive if the summon corpse list hadn’t been implemented. Normally I agree with things you say but you’re really far off base on those one.

cd288
07-31-2020, 08:52 AM
Mouse wheel isn’t classic but you could use one of the third person camera perspectives and then use keys to zoom out, adjust height, and adjust angle so you basically ended up playing in third person rear view just like having a mouse wheel

Snortles Chortles
07-31-2020, 09:20 AM
i recently used a track ball mouse
quickly noticed the difference no mouse zoom
we had to F9 in the old days to get a good view hehe

Danth
07-31-2020, 09:24 AM
The mouse wheel scroll isn't classic and the third person controls worked different originally as well. These two features combined to make third person have pretty limited use in the original game, not being used by much other than kiters or for screenshots. People would scream though. Too many folks like their camera-hanging-from-a-balloon easymode. Man, look at the gobbling that ensued over something as trivial as pet windows.

I use first person, as intended. That' s how the world was built to be seen.

Danth

Jibartik
07-31-2020, 10:15 AM
Curious how you think the lists keep things non competitive. In fact they do quite the opposite. They prevent one guild from violating the rules to monopolize a camp in order to skip multiple islands of a raid while every other guild has to go through those islands. Quite literally it would’ve been non competitive if the summon corpse list hadn’t been implemented. Normally I agree with things you say but you’re really far off base on those one.

I just thnk preparing ahead of time is competition in EQ and the concept of the game IMO is stronger when you cant kill the mobs you want because there is a group of 11 people there already it is in the spirit of EQ

I dont see the difference between that and lists except that the game just organizes what players used to, it's not in the spirit of EQ imo.

EQ is a game about personal investments to me, things you think will be of value, and when they are, they pay out big time.

I believe in player made agreements, not game changing ones.

Edit: But I was just having a laugh roasting the raiders.

third person have pretty limited use in the original game, not being used by much other than kiters or for screenshots.

I wont argue with the mechanics, but for 100% of the fights my character was auto attacking in, I was in 3rd person rotate camera vew.

And for looking around corners its tap tap rot tap tap (with no lag) that's why I argue that the only feature mouse wheel out provides PVE is a non game breaking effect.

But looking around corners is a valuable tool! so it was used quite frequently in classic for pulling as well, by well I assume everyone, because it was by me! But then again people keyboard turn :)

How many times I would stand at a door, rotate my camera through it, and it would BOOP out into the room, and you'd see the 2 mobs you couldn't in First Person standing to either side of it? Probably every time I went through a door while pulling.

As for kiting, it's actualy not as good for that because you tend to want to turn while kiting and you can only keyboard turn in those modes. So it does provide advantage if you use 3rd person for kiting, but I primarily use first person myself when kiting because I can quickly 180 faster in fps back and forth than I can in 3rd. So meh.

Edit Edit: OK I just thought.... this does provide a game breaking ability for bards to be able to aoe kite... although I bet I and everyone else here would just do it strafing in FPS if there was no mousewheel cam :thinking emoji:

cd288
07-31-2020, 12:30 PM
Except in this case there were no player made agreements because one guild was rotating the camp between several people so they could literally keep it camped for 24 hours and they were refusing to respond to any tells thereby preventing even the possibility of any sort of player made agreement on the camp

BlackBellamy
07-31-2020, 12:33 PM
For FPS it's first-person view all the way because I'm the guy doing the dirty work. That's me with my rifle and I'm the one putting rounds on target. When that guy goes down, I did it. Me the guy at home. The personal me.

For RPGs and MMOs, that's not me. That's the person I'm in charge of. When my Shadowknight kills a lizard, I think good boy! He did it. I told him sure, but he was the one. I'm just pulling the strings. And when I'm pulling the strings I like to see the puppet, so it's third-person full time.

Jibartik
07-31-2020, 12:37 PM
Except in this case there were no player made agreements because one guild was rotating the camp between several people so they could literally keep it camped for 24 hours and they were refusing to respond to any tells thereby preventing even the possibility of any sort of player made agreement on the camp

you must bend the knee to the kings in fantasy realms. :o

Baler
07-31-2020, 12:49 PM
No one tell the OP that the titanium F9 is superior to the Velious client F9.

Jibartik
07-31-2020, 01:41 PM
if raiders get lists then us barbie doll players deserve to play in 3rd person :p

Danth
07-31-2020, 01:54 PM
No one tell the OP that the titanium F9 is superior to the Velious client F9.

This one's akin to item links: The admins know it's there, know it's not quite classic, but happen to like it themselves and don't regard the difference as particularly relevant. I'll play the part of a first-person elitist on the boards half in jest, but reality is I don't much care what UI someone else uses or what view mode someone else picks. Probably the largest remaining nonclassic system that directly affects game mechanics is the ever-troublesome yellow bar and related issues.

On balance P99's in a pretty good state. There's a few nits left to pick but when I look at what it is now compared to what it was in 2009 I can't help but be impressed at how far P99 has come.

Danth

Snortles Chortles
07-31-2020, 03:18 PM
i absolutely relied on F9 during live to quad kite

RecondoJoe
07-31-2020, 04:13 PM
Mouse-wheel isnt classic, but it provides no advantage to any non pvp everquest gameplay.

I feel like it actually does, it gives me the ability to watch multiple mobs I have rooted at one time, and provides a lot more situational awareness.

fallingstar
07-31-2020, 04:17 PM
Its a HUGE part of the Feal of the game when you play

Jibartik
07-31-2020, 04:34 PM
I just played for the duration of a C and smacked that F button 50,0000 times lol

Tunabros
07-31-2020, 06:54 PM
The game is classic
its up to you to make it feel classic

fallingstar
08-01-2020, 07:24 PM
The game is classic
its up to you to make it feel classic

Well, then they should give us a cycle target button and tell us not to use it if we want the "classic experience"...

Natewest1987
08-02-2020, 01:08 AM
This is a little misleading. Third person view is absolutely classic. The scrolling mouse wheel may not be, but you could accomplish something similar with using whatever f key ( as stated ) and then using page up / page down buttons on the keyboard to zoom in / out. I exclusively played in this view