PDA

View Full Version : Make official price for tipping

drackgon
07-29-2020, 07:14 AM
I am here because I hear from a lot of people in gchat/group chat/OOC "how much do I tip"

The answer
Tip what you want/can, or simple always this below. FYI can always tip more, but I believe a lot less people will anon up if everyone follows below guidelines.

Porting
1pp per level at least, up to 35pp, If dead people will still gladly port you, maybe add the porter to your /note and tip him later, or extra on next port.

Ressing(Generally ressing takes half the clerics mana bar fyi)
0% 1pp per level at least, up to 35pp. This is pretty much a port to your body
50% res 1.5pp per level at least, up to 50pp
90% res 2pp per level at least, up to 100pp

Monks carry Peridots or rubies(if your a high roller).
Gear is acceptable tip. Just think of its mark value. Split paw high belt, isn't a tip..

drackgon
07-29-2020, 07:17 AM
Buffs are a bit tricky
Generally I just tip like 10-30pp. Sow charge is 10pp, so tipping 10pp for sow is norm. But like full shmmy buffs, I tip 20-30pp depending on character lvl

quido
07-29-2020, 07:21 AM
Tipping is for cheapskates in EQ. Paying is for real men. Be a real man. Negotiate a price before your receive the service and pay them in full. Tips are extra on top of this.

cd288
07-29-2020, 08:42 AM
Yeah 1pp per level is dumb. Imagine telling a new warrior that they need to come up with like 15pp to get a port? Lol yeah ok

drackgon
07-29-2020, 09:39 AM
lvl 5 warrior can afford 5pp. Or said person doesn't need to leave their area. Lvl 1s wanting to port somewhere are probably twinks. Also Lvl 4 spells are 1pp. If a lvl 4 can afford it so can a warrior:)
1 Cracked staff is 1 pp. So a lvl 2 can clearly afford 2pp.

cd288
07-29-2020, 09:49 AM
lvl 5 warrior can afford 5pp. Or said person doesn't need to leave their area. Lvl 1s wanting to port somewhere are probably twinks. Also Lvl 4 spells are 1pp. If a lvl 4 can afford it so can a warrior:)
1 Cracked staff is 1 pp. So a lvl 2 can clearly afford 2pp.

That's just dumb. A level 15-20 Warrior is probably quite broke. They're so gear dependent so their money has basically always been spent already and since most of the time they are grouping they don't get to make frequent vendor runs to pad their cash. As someone who mained a Warrior on live for years, 1pp per level would not have been possible to afford until I was in my late 40s (although now I would say it could be affordable in your 30s or something like that since we all know where the lower level plat camps are so a Warrior can farm those).

Now sure, I would take the boat a lot because I couldn't afford ports. But if you get a tell from a group across the world in a dungeon and you're trying to get there to tank you need a port and 1pp per level wouldn't have been doable. I mean damn back on live 10-15pp was the standard port tip regardless of level.

kaev
07-29-2020, 10:18 AM
The level 15 warrior in banded with a BBC they were gifted who tips 35gold is not an issue for any porter who isn't a sociopath driven by sheer greed. The level 50 necromancer tipping 10pp is, however, a greedy pos who should delete their account and stop polluting the p99 community.

Dolalin
07-29-2020, 10:46 AM
Tipping culture is weird. In real life it just leads to a race-to-the-bottom on wages, with the guilt of customers expected to make up the difference to aid the profits of the restaurants. It's bull.

I guess it can work in a video game. Maybe. If people are reasonable.

Good faith. Tip what you can. The guidelines in the OP aren't unreasonable.

silo32
07-29-2020, 10:50 AM
How much do u tip the dentist ?7⁸

Nuggie
07-29-2020, 10:56 AM
Yea, I've always lived by the 1pp/level guideline. I can see the "tanks are poor," argument. But just like in the real world, if you can't afford it don't buy it. Hoof it.

Also almost always pay 100pp for a 90% ress. More if they had to travel to me. They might get 50pp if they were already there and have a manastone. Don't cry at me if you have a manastone. You're rich. Prick.

Sabin76
07-29-2020, 11:08 AM
I don't see anything in the OP about summoned items. Bags, food/drink, weapons for pets, waterstones, lev rings, bandages, arrows...

When I'm parked in EC I sometimes get asked and more often then not I am tipped, but I'm curious what people's thoughts are on this, because I don't think I've ever seen it discussed in these types of threads.

larsbars
07-29-2020, 11:09 AM
I avoid tipping for ports. I just ask if they’d like to port for x plat. Most of the time they say yes even if it’s far under 1pp per level. This way I can get my lvl 10 ported and don’t have to deal with people’s opinions about what I can/should afford and where I’m allowed to go!

Dural_Levant
07-29-2020, 12:21 PM
So I got tipped for a SoW and a Levitate for the first time last night. I was blown away, 5 PP just for casting two spells! Woot!

However, by the sound of this thread, the tips get bigger as you level up?

N0tClassic
07-29-2020, 12:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38

Veeshan31
07-29-2020, 12:54 PM
i tip a max of 5gp per level. All you guys tipping 1pp per level are doing it wrong.

kaev
07-29-2020, 12:56 PM
Tipping culture is weird. In real life it just leads to a race-to-the-bottom on wages...

Had origins in Europe, with aristocrats tipping favored servants. In the US it started as refusing to pay any wage to freed slaves in the restaurant industry, not racing to the bottom but right there at the bottom from the get-go. Literally a slave wage.

douglas1999
07-29-2020, 12:56 PM
I remember on povar the standard tip was 10p accross all levels. So an untwinked level 1 really had to earn his way into being able to ask for ports, it felt like a privilege when you finally had enough spare plat to quickly get accross the world even just one time. Level 50s would also tip 10p, which seems cheap, but they would also ask for ports constantly because they could afford to, so you'd still end up making bank from lvl 50s because of the sheer frequency of their port requests. This system also eliminated any tomfoolery where a rich twink pretends to be poor and offers you 2p for a port even though they have like 10k in the bank. It was just 10p, at all times, for all players.

drackgon
07-29-2020, 01:02 PM
@cd288

Warriors can generally carry more loot then most players, Warrior on green doenst need anything but banded, then bronze(1-2pp per ac) until 50, along with what a Halbard from HHP(20pp?) until 50. And don't say its not possiable bc most did it just recently on green. On live 10-15pp even I remember that. But this isn't live server where we had a wiki to where everyone and their mother knows whats worth money, or where to get it. Heck HQ bear hide, Bone chips, DF belts, CB pads.. Don't lie to youself. I made a fresh warrior on green(whos my like 6th alt) is lvl 20, Yeah I've not spent any money while palying him, and he still has like 150pp from looting a few items(and serious think looted only BC/Crack staff/HQ bear hides, Lightstones)

Veeshan31
07-29-2020, 01:02 PM
I remember on povar the standard tip was 10p accross all levels. So an untwinked level 1 really had to earn his way into being able to ask for ports, it felt like a privilege when you finally had enough spare plat to quickly get accross the world even just one time. Level 50s would also tip 10p, which seems cheap, but they would also ask for ports constantly because they could afford to, so you'd still end up making bank from lvl 50s because of the sheer frequency of their port requests. This system also eliminated any tomfoolery where a rich twink pretends to be poor and offers you 2p for a port even though they have like 10k in the bank. It was just 10p, at all times, for all players.

now thats reasonable. Tipping 50pp is just insane

cd288
07-29-2020, 01:04 PM
Had origins in Europe, with aristocrats tipping favored servants. In the US it started as refusing to pay any wage to freed slaves in the restaurant industry, not racing to the bottom but right there at the bottom from the get-go. Literally a slave wage.

I mean most people in the restaurant/bar industry I know do not mind the system at all. A bartender can usually make more in tips than they would in hourly wages with low (or zero) tips if the wage were higher. It's also mostly tax free income since they only report a small portion of it on their taxes. They'd end up netting less money per year if we switched to higher wages with low/no tips like Europe.

cd288
07-29-2020, 01:07 PM
I don't see anything in the OP about summoned items. Bags, food/drink, weapons for pets, waterstones, lev rings, bandages, arrows...

When I'm parked in EC I sometimes get asked and more often then not I am tipped, but I'm curious what people's thoughts are on this, because I don't think I've ever seen it discussed in these types of threads.

Yeah that's a good point. We have all these expectations about ports, but I've rarely seen mages tipped significantly for any of those things which can really make a significant difference in your overall play session.

As someone who has also played a Druid significantly, I think Druids complaining about tip amounts is a little ridiculous unless it's a situation where you were XPing somewhere and took the time to go help someone out by porting them. Otherwise, I'm not going to complain that you didn't give me 1pp per level for clicking a button while I sit there watching Netflix or doing something else.

drackgon
07-29-2020, 01:22 PM
@Sabin, imo summoned items are like buffs. Personally If a mage summons me a stack of water/food i hand em 10pp(but im 50 and good amount of bank). But I can still see someone at least tipping a mage a few pp for food/water. Now on my monk when I ask for bandages/thrown wps I tip at least peridot if their taking time and summoning me a crap ton(usually like i'm about to go PL a player and im stuck in paw).

Buffs are weird, just like summon stuff. 49 druid buffs can still cost them 1/3-1/2 their whole mana bar. Heck my 44 druid SLDiamond is 200mana, thorns 100 mana, regen 100 mana, sow 40 mana. 440 mana to buff someone out of what my 1600 mana pool.

So tip what you can. Like I posted usually 5pp-30pp depending what I am getting and doing. On my new wizard I kept tipping enchanters around me like 20pp just for crack, just bc I could ask them again and they'be be super happy to tip me.

douglas1999
07-29-2020, 01:43 PM
You get some nice tips porting people out from seafury island. Somebody hands me a sapphire and I'm like right on, then I cross them off my "people to kill" list like steve buscemi in billy madison

Grimstrike
07-29-2020, 06:15 PM
You know why you work for tips? Because nobody wants to stick the whole thing inside...

Old_PVP
07-29-2020, 07:11 PM
Tipping is an abomination and needs to be removed from society.

Fammaden
07-29-2020, 07:31 PM
People gave my mage on green plat for summoning them pet swords without me expecting it, like all the time. 10 or 20 plat, surprised me at first but it happened all the time with 40+ pet casters. I can dig it since that extra power means extra plat in their pocket, takes no time at all to get 10 or 20 plat in the 40's leveling a caster solo.

drackgon
07-29-2020, 08:54 PM
What Fammaden said. I get amazed when I hear that some 40+ person didn't tip a resser/buffer/porter. Like seriously Most 35+ mobs drop avg 3-10pp per kill if you count FS.

Snortles Chortles
07-29-2020, 10:37 PM
ReZ is 100-200pp
SoW or Regen /dance /grovel - 25pp
Ports 40-50pp

BlackBellamy
07-29-2020, 10:48 PM
^^ if you ever pay any less you are scum. Walk or starve or whatever.

Christina.
07-29-2020, 11:01 PM
I never port or buff for tips. Lol it's never that serious. If you do fine , if you don't. I don't mind.

I even turn down tips sometime. I definitely wouldn't take any low level noobies. PP.

Balimon
07-30-2020, 12:04 AM
I always tell the porter up front how much I'm paying, generally 40-50p.

LoganVivisected
07-30-2020, 02:25 AM
This should be fairly easy, when I'm on a non-porting char I send a tell along the lines of "Hey I'm at X rings, could you port me to Y rings for xxplat?" Works 99% of the time. Bonus points by /who all druid/wizard and look for people that are in zones that are port locations.

When I'm on my Druid in EF or LGuk and I get a tell "can u port me" I'm ignoring you, if I'm bumming around WC and have to have more than 2 or 3 tells to figure out where you are without /who'ing you, I'm ignoring you. I cut people breaks for tip prices and generally assume they're tipping whats fair to them. But if you're all twinked out or a fellow 46+ raider and you toss me 10p you're going on my ignore.

Majority of my <35 ports are 20-25p without asking, most of my 46+ ports are 50-100p without asking. If I don't feel like porting or am busy I /anon (though this isn't fool proof because of people knowing my name/class anyways. But c'mon, don't ask for a port if I'm in SolB. Once in a while I'll get a few low levels scrounge up 7p or something to port them out to the Karana's or whatever and that doesn't bother me when they are obviously a bunch of leather/cloth wearing dudes just out leveling.

I do roll my eyes at you when you ask for a free CR port and then start putting on your gear as you run away. Quick /ignore for you.

kaev
07-30-2020, 10:27 AM
I do roll my eyes at you when you ask for a free CR port and then start putting on your gear as you run away. Quick /ignore for you.

hah! people actually do this? takes all kinds i guess.

your post pretty much calls out why I rarely port anybody who's not a guildie, it's too much effort to keep a do not port list. i'd rather farm SGs (or whatever) for cash, or just do without.

larsbars
07-30-2020, 08:31 PM
How much does clarity count towards the tip?

Tankwipe
07-30-2020, 10:47 PM
Tipping is for cheapskates in EQ. Paying is for real men. Be a real man. Negotiate a price before your receive the service and pay them in full. Tips are extra on top of this.
Former DAP senior officer here. This absolutely solves all tip problems ^^^^^^

Tankwipe
07-30-2020, 10:48 PM
None, because you just got a SoW too.
Appreciated though!

larsbars
07-30-2020, 11:01 PM
^^^ haha that’s fair! I’m a big advocate for simply auctioning or asking someone to port for X plat. That system being fair is dependent on the person being able to say no. Could a DAP person say no to a low plat straight offer like that?

TheRusty
07-31-2020, 04:32 AM
now thats reasonable. Tipping 50pp is just insane

Well, gotta adjust for inflation. We're better-able to generate coin in 2020 than we were in 2000.

i constantly struggled with cash on my shaman in the pre-kunark era. Getting Totemic Armor was a huge chunk of money for me. The suit of banded, plus the cost of dufrenite was the big hurdle for me, not the other quest items. We're looking at a couple hundred platinum! That, plus the cost of spells, made the late 20's and early 30's an extremely cash-strapped time for me.

Of course, today, I know that exactly five feet south of those dufrenite-smashing ogres is a bandit camp that can generate a good amount of plat in coin drops, bronze weapons and bronze-exchangable sashes. It's not much i guess but it's honest farmin'. Had i known about that, i woulda had my full suit of totemic in a day or two, and my spells just a few hours after that.

Right now my main is 21 enchanter on green, almost fully geared for pre-planes, and with several hundred plat just sitting there. if I want to go somewhere, 30-50pp isn't out of the question because, well i only really need money for spells, and money is just a consequence of leveling now, not the huge hurdle it was in 2001.

turbosilk
07-31-2020, 06:48 AM
This should be fairly easy, when I'm on a non-porting char I send a tell along the lines of "Hey I'm at X rings, could you port me to Y rings for xxplat?" Works 99% of the time. Bonus points by /who all druid/wizard and look for people that are in zones that are port locations.

When I'm on my Druid in EF or LGuk and I get a tell "can u port me" I'm ignoring you, if I'm bumming around WC and have to have more than 2 or 3 tells to figure out where you are without /who'ing you, I'm ignoring you. I cut people breaks for tip prices and generally assume they're tipping whats fair to them. But if you're all twinked out or a fellow 46+ raider and you toss me 10p you're going on my ignore.

Majority of my <35 ports are 20-25p without asking, most of my 46+ ports are 50-100p without asking. If I don't feel like porting or am busy I /anon (though this isn't fool proof because of people knowing my name/class anyways. But c'mon, don't ask for a port if I'm in SolB. Once in a while I'll get a few low levels scrounge up 7p or something to port them out to the Karana's or whatever and that doesn't bother me when they are obviously a bunch of leather/cloth wearing dudes just out leveling.

Other porters I know operate like this and the rest should. If porting has value then pay appropriately for it, if it doesn't have value then run/boat.

Daemrius
07-31-2020, 11:23 AM
While we're on the subject... What's up with the droods who don't SoW with the port. 50 plat for a 30 second transaction and you can't even have the common decency to give a brotha some SoW? You just made the list buddy.

BlackBellamy
07-31-2020, 12:18 PM
While we're on the subject... What's up with the droods who don't SoW with the port. 50 plat for a 30 second transaction and you can't even have the common decency to give a brotha some SoW? You just made the list buddy.

I think if you start keeping lists of porters who annoy you slightly soon you'll be walking everywhere :)

I give out this receipt with every port so everyone can submit a proper expense report (I assume guilds reimburse their members for ports, what kind of bullshit guild wouldn't?):

EXPLANATION OF CHARGES:

Receive tell and send answer: 00:10
Mem Ring to get to you and Circle for your destination and arrive at your location: 00:30
Form group, accept payment, cast Sow, cast See Invis, cast Invis, cast Circle and arrive at your destination: 01:00
Sit until full mana: 02:45

Total time spent for one port: 04:25

Total ticks: 44
Price per tick: 1p

Your bill with discount: 40p

BlackBellamy
07-31-2020, 12:22 PM
There is also a 1p per tick surcharge waiting time when I receive a tell that yes you're definitely at the rings and you're waiting right there but when I arrive you're just zoning in.

Baler
07-31-2020, 01:21 PM
Does that mean I could argue for a discount if they take forever to port me?

Snortles Chortles
07-31-2020, 03:32 PM

RecondoJoe
07-31-2020, 03:56 PM
Yeah 1pp per level is dumb. Imagine telling a new warrior that they need to come up with like 15pp to get a port? Lol yeah ok

I think it's funny how people act like it would actually kill them to have to walk anywhere in this game. I'm fairly wealthy and I still walk just about everywhere, and still regularly ride boats. I detest people like you. Angry memories of the Rogue in West Commons who took 2 hours to get to Sol B because he couldn't find a teleport. It's a 10 minute walk, tops.

GnomeCaptain
07-31-2020, 08:32 PM
1pp per level is absurd. 15-20pp for a port is fine and generous.

Also, my first char was a Wizard, I've ported tons.

Vdaria
08-01-2020, 05:42 AM
I thought everyone paid 50p for a port at 50

Coridan
08-01-2020, 09:08 AM
I tip 1p/level but almost never port except to skip a boat ride. People sitting in EC asking for ports to Lavastorm or Feerrott are dumb. Just grab a sow and run.

YendorLootmonkey
08-01-2020, 11:07 AM
I have been doing "Your choice... i can pay you 50pp, or when we land, you roll /random 100 and that is your tip" a few times... some porters like to gamble. I've gotten ports for < 10pp but also had to pay out 80pp+.... haha

TripSin
08-01-2020, 11:54 PM
Tips are stupid. People should just charge a price. Unless they actually are okay with only taking tips. Like, if you're going to get mad that someone didn't tip or didn't tip you as much as you want then just ask for a price beforehand....

cd288
08-02-2020, 12:34 AM
I think it's funny how people act like it would actually kill them to have to walk anywhere in this game. I'm fairly wealthy and I still walk just about everywhere, and still regularly ride boats. I detest people like you. Angry memories of the Rogue in West Commons who took 2 hours to get to Sol B because he couldn't find a teleport. It's a 10 minute walk, tops.

Cool. Enjoy your walk from Mistmoore to Erudin dumb ass

kaev
08-02-2020, 01:20 AM
Tips are stupid. People should just charge a price. Unless they actually are okay with only taking tips. Like, if you're going to get mad that someone didn't tip or didn't tip you as much as you want then just ask for a price beforehand....

People are stupid. On blue, I once spent 45 minutes on a druid in EC /ooc'ing "porting for plat", not one taker. Dozens of people paid plat for ports out of EC during this time, but it apparently offended them all that I wasn't pretending like the other druids and wizards. My policy is port friends free most any time, port guildies when I feel like it (also free), and others almost never. Maintaining a cheapskate/freeloader list is too much effort.

SewingMachine
08-05-2020, 12:10 PM
My view on this is if you post your services for a tip your amount will vary depending on what the person wants to give. If you post your service with a set price then it will fix that. Its really up to the person providing the service to set the price they want.

Radalas
09-07-2020, 12:22 PM
Coming back to the game after 15 years or so, and frankly the prices for ports are insane.

When I ride a taxi, I don't get charged more because I am richer than someone else. Cab fares don't change depending on how much money I make.

If someone has to come get me for some urgent request in a far away zone, I can understand paying 1pp per level. If I'm right at the druid ring/wizard spire and looking for literally 1-2 minutes of someones time who also is hanging out at the same place, then I will give 2-4pp no matter how rich or poor I am.

Prices should reflect the service. You should not gouge someone just because they are higher level.

cd288
09-08-2020, 12:09 AM
Coming back to the game after 15 years or so, and frankly the prices for ports are insane.

When I ride a taxi, I don't get charged more because I am richer than someone else. Cab fares don't change depending on how much money I make.

If someone has to come get me for some urgent request in a far away zone, I can understand paying 1pp per level. If I'm right at the druid ring/wizard spire and looking for literally 1-2 minutes of someones time who also is hanging out at the same place, then I will give 2-4pp no matter how rich or poor I am.

Prices should reflect the service. You should not gouge someone just because they are higher level.

Generally agree with you but 2-4pp is absurdly low. That’s much lower than even what was paid back in the day on live and honestly a great way to get put on every porters ignore list

Sabin76
09-08-2020, 12:53 AM
It actually shouldn't be that hard. I'd wager that 5pp for a SoW is pretty standard, yeah? 5pp for 40 mana and 4.5 seconds of casting time. Ports are 300 mana and a 16 second casting time... and if we assume the porter doesn't want to be where they just dumped you, 70 mana and 5 more seconds for the Gate back.

On a purely mana calculation: 300/40*5 = 37.5pp
On a purely casting time calculation: 17.7pp
Half way between these is ~27.7pp

Perhaps the most fair way (in principle) to compare the two would be the total time. A level 50 druid with maxed meditate meds 21.6 mana/tick. SoW would take a maximum* total of 16.5 seconds of a Druid's time (4.5 to cast and 2 ticks = 12 seconds to recover if they start recovering immediately after a tick happens). A port takes a minimum* total of 94 seconds a Druid's time (16 to cast and 13 ticks to recover if they start recovering immediately before a tick happens).

This amounts to 28.5pp per port... let's just call it an even 30. My mage, who's level 50, is cool with that. My Bard, who I just started playing and is level 9... not so much.

*This gives the most favorable conversion conditions to the buyer. Note that we are now assuming the Druid doesn't mind being in their new place and won't be gating back... Just make it 35pp if you don't assume so.

EDIT: I'm perfectly fine with the 1pp per level model. This is mostly in response to the above post mentioning 2-4pp for a port... just... wow.

Tankwipe
09-08-2020, 01:40 AM
It's a tip, not an invoiced payment. If you're stingy then I just won't port you again. You are incentivized to pay well for a quality service.

Tethler
09-08-2020, 06:12 AM
I have been doing "Your choice... i can pay you 50pp, or when we land, you roll /random 100 and that is your tip" a few times... some porters like to gamble. I've gotten ports for < 10pp but also had to pay out 80pp+.... haha

Hah nice, I'm gonna try this.

Baler
09-08-2020, 06:18 AM
Sub level 20, pay what ever you want
20-60, 1p per level
Ports are a luxery not a requirement

charmcitysking
09-08-2020, 07:40 AM

lol 2-4 plat? Didn't realize Mr. Pink joined the boards

drackgon
09-08-2020, 09:28 AM
What Baler said. Surprised how 50/50 the server is.

SewingMachine
09-08-2020, 11:00 AM
It actually shouldn't be that hard. I'd wager that 5pp for a SoW is pretty standard, yeah? 5pp for 40 mana and 4.5 seconds of casting time. Ports are 300 mana and a 16 second casting time... and if we assume the porter doesn't want to be where they just dumped you, 70 mana and 5 more seconds for the Gate back.

On a purely mana calculation: 300/40*5 = 37.5pp
On a purely casting time calculation: 17.7pp
Half way between these is ~27.7pp

Perhaps the most fair way (in principle) to compare the two would be the total time. A level 50 druid with maxed meditate meds 21.6 mana/tick. SoW would take a maximum* total of 16.5 seconds of a Druid's time (4.5 to cast and 2 ticks = 12 seconds to recover if they start recovering immediately after a tick happens). A port takes a minimum* total of 94 seconds a Druid's time (16 to cast and 13 ticks to recover if they start recovering immediately before a tick happens).

This amounts to 28.5pp per port... let's just call it an even 30. My mage, who's level 50, is cool with that. My Bard, who I just started playing and is level 9... not so much.

*This gives the most favorable conversion conditions to the buyer. Note that we are now assuming the Druid doesn't mind being in their new place and won't be gating back... Just make it 35pp if you don't assume so.

EDIT: I'm perfectly fine with the 1pp per level model. This is mostly in response to the above post mentioning 2-4pp for a port... just... wow.

forgot about that 10% chance of tip on sow.

Radalas
09-08-2020, 12:12 PM
For those who are shocked at the price of 2 - 4pp per port, that was the going donation back in the days everyone paid, and I began the game pre kunark, early year 2000. Ran large raids, ran a guild. Was very active. I do have some reference as to what I am talking about and not just spouting nonsense. Perhaps it was a unique situation in Saryarn server tho....

And if the open market price on blue/green is going to be 1pp per level or however it ends up being, then that's all fine and great. I'm all for open market. All I will say is two things.

- I've paid 2 plat for ports with a variety of porters in the short time I have spent to make to lvl11 and no one has complained to me yet and I've had repeated porters porting me.

- As a new character, it is unrealistic for me to be able to afford ports at that high a price AND be able to save plats for equipment upgrades etc. If the prices for ports are that high, I will have no other choice but to wait for a sow and hoof it, especially during my early levels because it will be impossible for me to actually afford both.

peterpal
09-08-2020, 12:26 PM
I'm freshly 50 and generally never ask for a port and still run everywhere and take the boat.
When I died at 46 I paid 200p for a res because that was like 20% exp loss after the hell level and my resser had to get a port.
The price of a port should be an exponential increase though. 20p for a level 20 is a lot more than 50p for a level 50.

Dolalin
09-08-2020, 12:56 PM
These things tend not to work, and anyways the economy inflates.

Here is an attempt from the Dominate period of the Roman Empire:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edict_on_Maximum_Prices

SuprLazr
09-08-2020, 02:42 PM
I'm porting for set prices, which I think are really helpful for some folks so they know exactly what the right amount is and don't have a feeling that they are under-tipping for a port.

You may have seen me advertising the past few days, I charge 5p for levels 1-15, 15p for levels 16-29, 25p for 30-39, 35p for 40-50. I have been getting mixed feedback of course because I know some folks like to be in control of what they donate, but it's been working out great for me! Of course, there are almost always other people willing to port for a donation of the portees choosing.

If you see me in-game feel free to message Supr for a port :)

Castle2.0
09-08-2020, 02:56 PM
If you fix the amount, it's a price, not a tip. And that's one way to not get jipped.

I've found the most effective way to operate as a porter is keep 2 lists.

/ignore list is anyone that tips poorly or not at all
/friend list is for anyone that tips well or I enjoy talking with

Magically, over time you get fewer and fewer bad tippers and more and more good tippers.

If you cannot seem to get a response from a porter for a port... well... you might be on Santa's naughty list.

Tankwipe
09-08-2020, 03:48 PM

Since I SOW everyone I port, I would say not at all

tsuchang
09-08-2020, 05:19 PM
It's a tip. Up to the tipster how much to give.
When I was porten on my drud I got anywhere from one copper to 150P.

Jibartik
09-08-2020, 05:26 PM
I tip my level up to 60.

with rez i do 150 for 2+ corpses and cover the port cost.

and maybe like 10 or 25 if a cleric is just there already rezzing people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td67kYY9mdQ

cd288
09-08-2020, 07:14 PM
For those who are shocked at the price of 2 - 4pp per port, that was the going donation back in the days everyone paid, and I began the game pre kunark, early year 2000. Ran large raids, ran a guild. Was very active. I do have some reference as to what I am talking about and not just spouting nonsense. Perhaps it was a unique situation in Saryarn server tho....

And if the open market price on blue/green is going to be 1pp per level or however it ends up being, then that's all fine and great. I'm all for open market. All I will say is two things.

- I've paid 2 plat for ports with a variety of porters in the short time I have spent to make to lvl11 and no one has complained to me yet and I've had repeated porters porting me.

- As a new character, it is unrealistic for me to be able to afford ports at that high a price AND be able to save plats for equipment upgrades etc. If the prices for ports are that high, I will have no other choice but to wait for a sow and hoof it, especially during my early levels because it will be impossible for me to actually afford both.

The standard amount back in the day was 10pp. If you’re a new char, sure porters in P99 are going to be nice and not disparage you for paying that much. Once you get into your 20s though if you’re still tipping 2pp you’re gonna see a lot of people having a problem with porting you repeatedly.

And also, if you can’t afford ports at a low level you’re in luck! There’s a boat if you need to get between continents! You can run between zones too! Just use the arrow keys on your keyboard and off you go! Ports are a luxury. Such a dumb statement that “well I don’t have much money so I’m entitled to pay a low amount for a port”...no...you’re entitled to walk/boat.

Oh and if you’re so confident about your position and how people will just continually port you for 2pp, why don’t you disclose your character name on this thread? Then we can see how often any porters who read the forums are willing to port you.

LoganVivisected
09-08-2020, 07:30 PM
It is shocking the amount of people that are so opposed to simply running; I run all over rather than port most of the time on my non-porting classes. It's absolutely bizarre to me to get port requests from someone in EC for sRO or LS. A level 8 asking for a port from BB to WC or vice versa is also bizarre. Take a boat man, rather than poor-mouth me about how you can only afford 5g before I even ask about cash.

But really, if you are ~40+ and especially a farming class that acts indignant about tipping the cost of a single HG kill I have no sympathy for you. Just as bad as people that spam tells to porters that are in non-port zones (Lguk, kedge, Plane of friggin' Sky...) asking "u porting?". If you are super low level and feel like 5 plat or around that is too much to give I recommend getting some more levels under your belt in your immediate area or hoofing it.

Radalas
09-08-2020, 07:32 PM
The standard amount back in the day was 10pp. If you’re a new char, sure porters in P99 are going to be nice and not disparage you for paying that much. Once you get into your 20s though if you’re still tipping 2pp you’re gonna see a lot of people having a problem with porting you repeatedly.

And also, if you can’t afford ports at a low level you’re in luck! There’s a boat if you need to get between continents! You can run between zones too! Just use the arrow keys on your keyboard and off you go! Ports are a luxury. Such a dumb statement that “well I don’t have much money so I’m entitled to pay a low amount for a port”...no...you’re entitled to walk/boat.

Oh and if you’re so confident about your position and how people will just continually port you for 2pp, why don’t you disclose your character name on this thread? Then we can see how often any porters who read the forums are willing to port you.

Hmmm I don't see anything in my post that exhibited any type of entitlement. All I said was my own perspective and experience on this topic, that I could not afford that kind of plat at my early levels and that I will have no other choice but to walk if such a standard price like 10+pp for a port. So I'm not sure where you felt I was acting entitled. In fact I said I believe in open market and if that's what the price is, then again, exactly as you said, I will have no other choice but to walk/boat since it would be impossible for me to afford both equipment and ports. It will be what it is and I'll have to live with it.

And my character name is Radga. Lvl11 Ogre SK at the moment. I have absolutely no issue with telling everyone who I am. I didn't start the thread but there seems to be a variety of opinion on this topic, so I expressed my own. I hope you could respect that?

Castle2.0
09-08-2020, 07:43 PM
On Mannastone, I always tip 35-50pp depending how good/quick the service may be. I topped a dude 20pp once because of bad service - it felt bad, bit it was the right thing to do.

A few times I forget money and I got a 50-200pp item on me and I donate that instead. Druids can easily get to EC and sell stuff.

Time is too precious. Port, don't run.

DoodyLich666
09-08-2020, 07:58 PM
I’m a casual noob, and I have never had problems scraping up at least a platinum piece per level when I need a port. That said, I have also ran very far because I am poor and saving money for gear. Hell, on your long ass run you can probably kill a few wisps and get some greater light stones to buy a port.

Keebz
09-08-2020, 08:31 PM
The standard amount back in the day was 10pp.

25-30 was what I remember. But I think 10pp was probably still doable.

Everyone was also way lower level though. This server must be 10x as top heavy as classic times. Here I tip 1pp per level with a floor of 30 or so. If they come and get me from somewhere that may bump it a little.

Rader
09-08-2020, 10:37 PM

You F ing cheap bastards. The mana cost (sow and port to where you are at, to where you want to go, and to where the porter wants to be) plus the time to do all that, is more than you are factoring in your calculation. As was said previously, knock your cheap @$$ selves out waiting for the boats.

fastboy21
09-08-2020, 11:29 PM
I always tell people who ask that I tip 50pp, but I never do.

I usually only give about 20pp, but I figure, by telling folks that white lie I encourage others to give a little bit more...which actually increases total tips for porters.

Classic Win-Win

Rader
09-09-2020, 10:41 PM
Will just add, if everyone was as cheap as many here are, and 10pp was the average tip, I would never port strangers. I have plenty of things to do in game other than save you a bunch of time by zipping you to where you want to go.

Jibartik
09-09-2020, 11:15 PM

Im doing this now lol

Jibartik
09-09-2020, 11:17 PM
I always tell people who ask that I tip 50pp, but I never do.

I usually only give about 20pp, but I figure, by telling folks that white lie I encourage others to give a little bit more...which actually increases total tips for porters.

Classic Win-Win

https://i.imgur.com/PBALUCJ.gif

Arvan
09-11-2020, 11:13 PM
Tipping culture is weird. In real life it just leads to a race-to-the-bottom on wages, with the guilt of customers expected to make up the difference to aid the profits of the restaurants. It's bull.

I guess it can work in a video game. Maybe. If people are reasonable.

Good faith. Tip what you can. The guidelines in the OP aren't unreasonable.

You one of those guys who doesn't tip at restaurants?

Vdaria
09-12-2020, 12:01 AM
Each port event (a person seeking a port getting one) has a unique circumstance, including time of day, plat level of porter, plat level of portee, distance porting, mana of the porter, opportunity costs of each person porting vs not porting, etc etc etc etc. If you want to pin down EVERY single variable and try to put a number on all of them, then sure, let's talk about the precise amount to tip. But until then, it seems fruitless to try to pin down a precise number.

If you are level 50, tip somewhere between 20 and 50. If you're leveling, tip what you can. This should leave no reasonable person unhappy. Anything more than 50p feels like a gift, and anything less than 20p seems a bit insulting.

Tankwipe
09-12-2020, 04:44 AM
Each port event (a person seeking a port getting one) has a unique circumstance, including time of day, plat level of porter, plat level of portee, distance porting, mana of the porter, opportunity costs of each person porting vs not porting, etc etc etc etc. If you want to pin down EVERY single variable and try to put a number on all of them, then sure, let's talk about the precise amount to tip. But until then, it seems fruitless to try to pin down a precise number.

If you are level 50, tip somewhere between 20 and 50. If you're leveling, tip what you can. This should leave no reasonable person unhappy. Anything more than 50p feels like a gift, and anything less than 20p seems a bit insulting.hey hadden buddy i agree w/ you

Vdaria
09-12-2020, 04:53 AM
hey hadden buddy i agree w/ you

I got it! 3 earrings in a row :D

strongNpretty
09-14-2020, 11:58 AM
Holy shit boys, it doesn't need to be this difficult.. We now have multiple threads open on tipping prices? For 1- Dial a Port does not set a standard in pricing for porting.. So if you're mad cause you tip 1pp per level or cause that's the unspoken standard of the server, then that's your fault. You're choosing to tip 1pp per level just cause that's what other people recommend, but nobody ever said you had to...

Rule 1- BE NICE AND SHOW RESPECT
Rule 4- GREED WILL NOT BE TOLERATED OF ANY KIND
Rule 5- CANNOT THREATEN TO BLACKLIST
Rule 7- MEMBERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO ASSIST IN CR's, LOWBIES, and NEW MEMBERS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE

So hold the druid porting you responsible for dickin you in price if you've had a bad experience.. Otherwise if they are DAP members- Nobody should be saying a word when it comes to fares. We will port you, but if that member secretly doesn't appreciate you, then you just may never get a response in /tell anymore. just sayin!

Castle2.0
09-14-2020, 01:05 PM
Pretty sure DaP lets you set pricing if you want to, but if you do donations you're not supposed to complain how much people pay. Most DaPorters do donations only. I have seen some do set prices.

Gwaihir
09-14-2020, 01:42 PM
Rez 3p/level
Port 1p/level

/thread

drackgon
09-14-2020, 04:36 PM
lol so many 50/50 its either what I Originally posted, or cry that its insane.
Won't lie love it when I tip 50pp for a port and the porter from DAP freaks out happy as hell. Then I ask ask why its only 50. "Last 6 ports I've done I made 21pp total from 3 lvl 50s, and a few 20-45s, you sir paid more then all 6 and double that" I say DAP should shame them totally those 50s. No way in heck someone can't farm and sell like 8 FS wps. or heck 1 scroll from paw.

P.s. I do like the random 1-100pp as tip ideal kudos for thinking outside the box.

douglas1999
09-14-2020, 04:53 PM
1p\level sort of breaks down when the lvl 9 person you're porting has a rubi bp and two yaks. I tip 30-50p cause I can afford to. I occasionally get CR ports on my alt, and in those cases I add the porter to my friends list and tip them later on

Sabin76
09-14-2020, 04:59 PM
Holy shit boys, it doesn't need to be this difficult.. We now have multiple threads open on tipping prices? For 1- Dial a Port does not set a standard in pricing for porting.. So if you're mad cause you tip 1pp per level or cause that's the unspoken standard of the server, then that's your fault. You're choosing to tip 1pp per level just cause that's what other people recommend, but nobody ever said you had to...

This is actually interesting. My first port as a lowbie on green way back in March (I had JUST missed the boat in FP trying to get to my friends all leveling in BB) I asked a DAP member how much it was. Paraphrasing, they said something like, "It's supposed to be 1pp/level but I'll take whatever." I think I was level 8 and I had something like 5pp on me and said as much. They came all the way to the dock to pick me up.

I've thought about it during times when I've walked to where I was going and, I mean... at 50 I can easily kill 3 HGs in the 15 minutes it would take me to run from EC to Rathe which - on average - more than cover the cost. And that has mostly been true no matter what my level has been.

Jibartik
09-14-2020, 05:03 PM
IMO you shouldn't be getting ported at low levels if you're new enough or playing on a recycle server, its a luxury for the noble, so 1p per level is perfectly balanced. Newbies can run like the wildlings they are!

"You newbies have ruined your newbie hunting grounds, you'll not ruin our means of conveyance!"

Scalem
09-14-2020, 07:01 PM
lol so many 50/50 its either what I Originally posted, or cry that its insane.
Won't lie love it when I tip 50pp for a port and the porter from DAP freaks out happy as hell. Then I ask ask why its only 50. "Last 6 ports I've done I made 21pp total from 3 lvl 50s, and a few 20-45s, you sir paid more then all 6 and double that" I say DAP should shame them totally those 50s. No way in heck someone can't farm and sell like 8 FS wps. or heck 1 scroll from paw.

P.s. I do like the random 1-100pp as tip ideal kudos for thinking outside the box.

Ya I stopped porting most people on my druid because of how cheap people are. I would get tells from people who could clearly afford 20+ and would only give like 10. Lots of players feel entitled to ports and feel like porters don't deserve plat but "they just click a button." The only people who consistently paid me 30-60 plat was Seal Team.

Scalem
09-14-2020, 07:03 PM
IMO you shouldn't be getting ported at low levels if you're new enough or playing on a recycle server, its a luxury for the noble, so 1p per level is perfectly balanced. Newbies can run like the wildlings they are!

"You newbies have ruined your newbie hunting grounds, you'll not ruin our means of conveyance!"

If you know what ports are you should be paying 1p per level. There is a ton of ways to make good and easy plat at low levels. People just love to pretend their alt is new and broke yet they running around in 10k in gear.

Gwaihir
09-14-2020, 07:04 PM
1p\level sort of breaks down when the lvl 9 person you're porting has a rubi bp and two yaks. I tip 30-50p cause I can afford to. I occasionally get CR ports on my alt, and in those cases I add the porter to my friends list and tip them later on

Nope. A port does not constitute entetlement toward a flat percentage of that players total wealth, jackass.

Jibartik
09-14-2020, 07:07 PM
In my teens when I came back to green was like, "oh I need a port" oh well I cant afford one at 1 plat per level, I'll take the boat.

And it was like the best night of my life :o

Trexller
09-14-2020, 09:41 PM
current top thread in both green and blue discussions is about port costs.

if someone helps you out with a port, rez etc. Just pony up some plat. You will figure out if it was enough next time you need help from that person.

Threads Closed. Moved to Resolved. Back to camp stealing or server politics.

YW

Sabin76
09-15-2020, 10:53 AM
Nope. A port does not constitute entetlement toward a flat percentage of that players total wealth, jackass.

I believe you may be thinking about this from the wrong direction. Don't think of the port as getting more expensive because your accumulated wealth is higher... a port costs the same amount of mana no matter who is being ported. It costs the same* number of resources to the person porting.

Think of it as the discount you get on that service goes away as your accumulated wealth gets higher.

*There is, obviously, a slight increase in the amount of time needed to recover from a port for lower level porters.

dwmaze
09-15-2020, 11:59 AM
This donation thing seems to be working well. I vote that we adopt donations as the standard method of exchanging goods across the entire server.

cd288
09-15-2020, 01:00 PM

Are you willing to share the name(s) of your character(s) on P99? If you feel this adamantly about it, and you seem very confident that you're right, you should tell everyone who you are in game.

Sabin76
09-15-2020, 01:27 PM
This donation thing seems to be working well. I vote that we adopt donations as the standard method of exchanging goods across the entire server.

Sure but I'm going to set my donation floor, you will have to tell me how much you plan on donating before I agree, and I will allow people to grab the item over others for being willing to donate larger amounts :P.