PDA

View Full Version : Life time of server

twaggoner2
07-28-2020, 12:43 AM
Is this glorious green classic server going to merge with blue when "completed" I really hope not. Blue server has different mechanics. If and when green "caps" out why then merge to blue? I have hear a few people talk about this, and I do remember the discussions in the early stages, why merge green into blue, instead of creating a new server? I hope that what I have heard is merely rumors of rumors.

Convict
07-28-2020, 01:15 AM
what different mechanics? anything different between blue and green will be the same by the time green finishes the timeline to eventually get merged anyways, which probably wont happen for some time after greens timeline finished. They might open a new server anyways as the roll green into blue

Nuggie
07-28-2020, 01:32 AM
why merge green into blue, instead of creating a new server? .

It's Green99 because it's going to get recycled(Get it, green and recycling...) into Blue. Whence a new server will launch. Or at least that was the plan. I hope it still happens.

Videri
07-28-2020, 02:52 AM
Servers cost money. The plan was always to have two servers: one that's going through the Classic-Kunark-Velious timeline, and one to hold all of our characters when the timeline completes. The progression one dumps into the holding one and starts over so we can do it all again, and so new people get the opportunity to play through the timeline. Green dumps all of its characters to Blue and restarts.

Arvan
07-28-2020, 04:15 AM
Its the same game same mechanics and last devs said the plan was to merge but they were open to discussing it amongst themselves further

Phaezed-Reality
07-28-2020, 05:31 AM
no offense to server staff, but i imagine they have realized merging green into blue is not going to happen. or rather would be a bad idea. just as many of us who realize you can't merge a crazy broken economy with a new one. and that is just one of the issues the merge makes. If anything they will create a new server for green 2.0. and then start merging the new progression servers they make into green 1.0. That makes the most sense.

For all intents and purposes blue is seriously a trash server when you count up all the problems its had since it has a very long lifespan.

cd288
07-28-2020, 07:27 AM
I’m guessing they aren’t going to like the idea of paying out of their own pockets to keep extra servers up just because some people don’t want it to merge into Blue. By the time they merge Green will be mudflated and will make sense to have it merged. And then they’ll start a new Green.

drackgon
07-28-2020, 08:08 AM
yeah imo green will merge into blue. Why should they care about economy as the reason not 2? Its pixels and data to them. Its a cost savings to just xfer all the data over to blue. Then make Green 2.0 on same server as Green 1.0 (which if anyone pays attention to Bug forums, they seem to do a lot of leg work). So I think green 2.0 will even be a bit easier on them. But as they've said in past their goal is to merge. So I am going to guess it will just merge. Heck for all we know they could throw their hands up on project and walk away before then:)

Phaezed-Reality
07-28-2020, 09:49 AM
yeah imo green will merge into blue. Why should they care about economy as the reason not 2? Its pixels and data to them. Its a cost savings to just xfer all the data over to blue. Then make Green 2.0 on same server as Green 1.0 (which if anyone pays attention to Bug forums, they seem to do a lot of leg work). So I think green 2.0 will even be a bit easier on them. But as they've said in past their goal is to merge. So I am going to guess it will just merge. Heck for all we know they could throw their hands up on project and walk away before then:)

RMT is a huge issue on blue. by merging green into blue it will create a huge problem with active legendary items to cycle into the RMT market.

This alone will give the staff serious pause if they are considering merging green 1.0 into blue. Blue has been around for a long time. It is not just the RMT but it is also a number of things that have transpired since its inception that I am unwilling to bring up in public. needless to say it is a very very tainted server. Even if green 1.0 is supposed to be recycled once the progression ends. merging it into blue is a huge mistake because of this.

Snortles Chortles
07-28-2020, 09:50 AM
time 2 lay off da shark fin bud

drackgon
07-28-2020, 11:38 AM
@phaezed I get that Blue has its own issues. Hell even Green has had cases of RMT(remember server first RBB???) and drama. In a year or two the drama on green imo will probably be just as bad or worse than Blue. I honestly don't think Admins will care a single bit about any of that. Its a Cost thing. Run 4 servers or 3? People forget that were ran on donations, and admins free time. 4th server = more gms, more dedicated time by admins, and server cost. It doesn't make sense, hence we lost Teal.

Nuggie
07-28-2020, 12:01 PM
Ahim not in IT. Someone explain, please. Can't rogean just split a server in 2(or however many you like) like you can with hard drives? Don't need another physical server. ?

Trexller
07-28-2020, 12:16 PM
one thing they will have to address when merging is same account character transfer

one of my accounts has 8 toons on blue and 5 on green. only 8 slots per account, so they are gonna have to split that account to a new one or delete/overwrite some of my characters.

BlackBellamy
07-28-2020, 01:17 PM
Ahim not in IT. Someone explain, please. Can't rogean just split a server in 2(or however many you like) like you can with hard drives? Don't need another physical server. ?

You can spin up as many instances as you want. Bandwidth won't increase because population is going to be mostly cannibalized. Maintenance will increase in terms of dealing with more variables and staff resources would be diluted.

That doesn't matter. This discussion is kind of funny because the reality is that Green will be Blue, merge or not. The third server will cannibalize Green and take all the progress-from-start people with it just like they came from Blue the initial time. And then Green will be Blue, except it will take a couple of more years to catch up vis a vis the shenanigans that take place when no one is watching.

Videri
07-28-2020, 02:09 PM
one thing they will have to address when merging is same account character transfer

one of my accounts has 8 toons on blue and 5 on green. only 8 slots per account, so they are gonna have to split that account to a new one or delete/overwrite some of my characters.

The staff explained what would happen: all 13 characters will be on the same account. The first 8, alphabetically, will be visible; the other 5 will be below and you won't be able to click on them or play them unless you delete some of the first 8. There won't be any splitting of accounts or deleting of characters.

Furthermore, duplicate names will probably get an x added to the end.

Tunabros
07-28-2020, 05:09 PM
i already have most of my character slots filled out how will merging work? do i have to delete some on my characters or will we know be able to have 16 characters when the server merges

Fammaden
07-28-2020, 05:18 PM
The staff explained what would happen: all 13 characters will be on the same account. The first 8, alphabetically, will be visible; the other 5 will be below and you won't be able to click on them or play them unless you delete some of the first 8. There won't be any splitting of accounts or deleting of characters.

Furthermore, duplicate names will probably get an x added to the end.

This is the exact thing that happened Teal > Green its not even speculative we've seen it in action. The name plus X part I don't know about first hand though.

Fammaden
07-28-2020, 05:20 PM
i already have most of my character slots filled out how will merging work? do i have to delete some on my characters or will we know be able to have 16 characters when the server merges

You'll have to delete. Basically you shouldn't have rolled green toons on the same account as your important blue ones.

Most people who've been around P99 a while at the high end run a ton of different accounts rather than placing their alts all on the same page. I keep multiples on one account too but I knew better than to use the same one for green when it launched.

Tunabros
07-28-2020, 06:13 PM
crap! i might have to make an alt account!

Danth
07-28-2020, 06:16 PM
You'll have to delete. Basically you shouldn't have rolled green toons on the same account as your important blue ones.

Most people who've been around P99 a while at the high end run a ton of different accounts rather than placing their alts all on the same page. I keep multiples on one account too but I knew better than to use the same one for green when it launched.

I made ONE character on green for this reason: I can spare a slot on my account, but not a bunch of slots. Contrary to popular opinion, I suspect a great many players don't necessarily use multiple accounts. That's more of a power-gamer move.

Danth

drackgon
07-28-2020, 08:17 PM
I didnt really play on blue only 1 toon 41? warrior. But on green Monk/SK plus tradr/banks /box holders fill up my main account. Then i have my Wizard account full of box toons, Mage account, and druid account:) bc putting everything on one account is silly

Bigsham
07-28-2020, 08:26 PM
will never merge i promise

Bigsham
07-28-2020, 08:27 PM
@phaezed I get that Blue has its own issues. Hell even Green has had cases of RMT(remember server first RBB???) and drama. In a year or two the drama on green imo will probably be just as bad or worse than Blue. I honestly don't think Admins will care a single bit about any of that. Its a Cost thing. Run 4 servers or 3? People forget that were ran on donations, and admins free time. 4th server = more gms, more dedicated time by admins, and server cost. It doesn't make sense, hence we lost Teal.

There is only 1 p99 server, just partitions on a hard drive, no increased cost if there was 2 or 10 and you have the same GMs

cd288
07-28-2020, 08:48 PM
There is only 1 p99 server, just partitions on a hard drive, no increased cost if there was 2 or 10 and you have the same GMs

Oh so the staff are lying got it

Videri
07-28-2020, 10:37 PM
crap! i might have to make an alt account!

Contrary to popular opinion, I suspect a great many players don't necessarily use multiple accounts.

WHAT?! Ok. People need to make themselves more accounts. I have 26 loginserver accounts for my characters on Red, Blue, and Green.

https://i.imgur.com/YCeQuP9.png

People need to be making a new loginserver account for each character, not counting mules. Otherwise, your rez timer ticks while you're on your alt. And how will you have a trusted guildmate log onto your cleric to rez your ranger? Seriously:

Make a new loginserver account for each alt.

Danth
07-29-2020, 06:31 AM
People need to be making a new loginserver account for each character, not counting mules. Otherwise, your rez timer ticks while you're on your alt. And how will you have a trusted guildmate log onto your cleric to rez your ranger? Seriously:

That stuff doesn't seem relevant. Not worried about rez timers (or rezzes, period) for the once or twice a year my character might die. Don't feel like waiting months to get a new IP exception to go through since there's sufficient slots on the existing accounts for what the wife and I do. Account sharing? I don't do that, either, unless you count using the wife's shaman once in awhile. I figure the major reason some people use multiple accounts for single characters is so they can engage in ban evasion; even that's no concern since I've never received any sort of ban or suspension in any game or forum I've ever used.

Danth

drackgon
07-29-2020, 06:46 AM
Its not for just ban evasion(bc I am sure tons make alt accounts for this), people make multiple accounts for a few reasons
A) to hold lore items boxes.. Ask billy of Kingdom how many boxes he has:)
B) To account share. Hey man mind logging on my druid to port our group here. Or guild shared Trackers,clerics,Coth mag etc
C) Afraid of being ban and doing fishy things all the time(Green has a guild pretty much dedicated to this)
D) Already being banned, time to make another toon
E) So they can play in same house with wife/hubby/kids
F) Doing whatever they want with their free time, shouldn't matter to you:)

Danth
07-29-2020, 07:18 AM
Point "E" isn't really creating multiple accounts, not in the usual sense. The wife and I each have our own account for obvious reasons.

I agree with point "F". I don't have 26 accounts and never will, but it doesn't bother me if someone else wants to maintain so many logins. Doesn't cost him anything other than the minor hassle of keeping track of which is which.

Danth

Videri
07-29-2020, 11:43 AM
Hi Danth. I'm not trying to get you in particular to make more accounts. I just want whatever people who do care about those points I mentioned to know they can make a million new accounts. I merely quoted you because you said you don't think most people make multiple accounts.

Insomnia
07-30-2020, 08:36 PM
Give me Luclin on Blue damnit!!