PDA

View Full Version : What is your philosophy on classic gear?

Baler
07-02-2020, 08:57 AM
It's no secret that classic gear, on average, is less than kunark/velious gear. Meaning you're more likely to replace pieces as we progress into these expansions.

I'm just wondering what your ideals are on gearing during classic?
Do you mix/max go for BiS classic gear or just hang out half naked knowing you'll fill the slots later?

I'd love to hear what green players have to say on this subject. :)

Fammaden
07-02-2020, 09:12 AM
Eh, there's a lot of the planar armor that can/will last you until Velious. Kunark class armor sets are mostly ac and clicks, other than BP/legs which are pretty difficult to get on a populous/contested server.

So my philosophy is to get the good visible pieces from your class set now. Much of what Kunark will replace are the other slots, back/shoulder/jewelry/range/belts and to some degree some of the visible slots too. But the good class armor slots from the classic planes are quite viable until Velious in most cases. And of course WEAPONS are the real inflationary gear in Kunark, even for casters, and not just epics.

People going apeshit about BiS this-or-that are weird to me when we KNOW THE FUTURE. I mean I get it, have fun and enjoy this era of only this gear being available. But when you can perform your class role in most cases at 80%+ efficiency while spending 20% or less of the cost in time or plat that "BiS" would require, then why bother?

Cen
07-02-2020, 09:17 AM
I'm a cleric in armor of the priest a runed mith bracer and wisdom in every other slot but a drake belt.

I consider that best in slot.

Reed belt is a maybe but I consider ethereal mist 100% unobtainable until the end of server life.

I have essentially the best items I can get.

Oddbaal
07-02-2020, 09:19 AM
I go for the instant gratification enjoyment. If I can get BiS now, I’ll do it. Same applies to how I spend my pp. if I can get an item now that I know I’ll replace in 10 or 20 levels I’ll still get it. Doesn’t make sense to me to delay in such a long-term game.

Snortles Chortles
07-02-2020, 09:19 AM
I have essentially the best items I can get.

Cen
07-02-2020, 09:58 AM
I forgot to add that I do dial back on things I know will be huge easy upgrades in the expansions!

Guesty07
07-02-2020, 10:41 AM
49 magician in cloth belt, back and shoulder pieces.

Castle2.0
07-02-2020, 02:40 PM
My mage still doesn't have GEBs, but I have a water staff which is a huge buff to my pet.

My motto is get the gear that counts.

Some items are irreplaceable - like manastone. So I went and got one of those =)

fastboy21
07-02-2020, 03:54 PM
It's no secret that classic gear, on average, is less than kunark/velious gear. Meaning you're more likely to replace pieces as we progress into these expansions.

I'm just wondering what your ideals are on gearing during classic?
Do you mix/max go for BiS classic gear or just hang out half naked knowing you'll fill the slots later?

I'd love to hear what green players have to say on this subject. :)

I always go for the stuff that gets more valuable or stays forever.

One of the cool things about vanilla EQ economics is that there are tons of vanilla items that you'll want in your arsenal (inventory) for specific situations. They never get replaced. Find those and collect.

What I hate most about EQ is how the market drives prices at the high end for extemely small utility stat upgrades. It is not uncommon for a couple of stat points to change the market value of an item by 1000s of plat. I stay away from these as much as possible unless I'm swimming in plat and have nothing else to do with it.

cd288
07-02-2020, 05:00 PM
I buy stuff if it is non-raid BIS through Kunark. Otherwise I don’t really buy anything unless my class is one that is super gear dependent.

People buying stuff for exorbitant prices that is going to be replaced by relatively accessible gear in a couple of months leave me wondering about them

Cen
07-02-2020, 05:28 PM
Im convinced FBSS is a bad investment. Not manastone level bad, but like.. Second worst among mainstream twink items (so like gold chitin dont count)

Secrets
07-02-2020, 07:21 PM
i'm sure you'll be excluded from raids for not having bard gear with wisdom on them from planar armor sets.

you better farm that shit asap

Tethler
07-03-2020, 11:55 PM
My strategy was to aim for nodrop planar gear so that I can sell off as much tradable gear as possible before prices tank when Kunark drops, allowing me to pick up a few choice items early on in Kunark. My fear set can last me leveling to 60 too if need be. Luckily for me, Ranger fear set is actually pretty well itemized, unlike a lot of other classic gear sets.

pgerman
07-04-2020, 03:56 AM
I prefer to plan my characters 9 years in advance.

Lurgort/Sseri
07-04-2020, 04:18 AM
40 Wizard, rolled a few weeks back: https://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Green:Sauna

I haggle a bit in EC occasionally, and satisfied with my stuff for now -- perhaps GEBS, a SMR, and Planar later?

Christina.
07-04-2020, 12:10 PM
Try to bis every expansion.

GnomeCaptain
07-04-2020, 07:44 PM
My gear philosophy is always FASHIONQUEST.

Otherwise I focus on the really solid items like hp/ac rings and investments in gear that will not be replaced any time soon. E.g. Siryn hood for Chanters, Hero Bracer on melee, and TBB for just about anyone.

And on my Bard (my Green main) I have saved up and spent my pp only on the Sharkskin Drum. Otherwise I'm slowly gathering lambent quest items and saving up for the gems.