PDA

View Full Version : Medris game guide suspended me for asking questions

Spoondoxx
06-21-2020, 10:20 PM
I had my surname Bawlzoftheharsh taken away by Medris Guide of p1999 and i asked why. Said was deemed sexual in nature. I said thew word "Bawl" is not sexual in nature and is a real word and im using it contextually correct. He refused to answer and after many attempts to get an answer he suspended my account for 7 days and i want this fixed and to be reinstated proper!

Baler
06-21-2020, 10:23 PM
after many attempts to get an answer he suspended my account for 7 days

So you spammed a guide and didn't expect any repercussions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WSe9ugpXIw

Spoondoxx
06-21-2020, 10:25 PM
Asking why i was having my name changed is not spam if he would just answer in a way i could understand then it wouldnt have been an issue he came in all God like and just did what ever not asking me a word about the name or where is came from and what i meant. I am hurt that it was deemed sexual due to the way it came about....So yea Game guides have all the power and if you question it they suspend you!

Spoondoxx
06-21-2020, 10:26 PM
was a 5 mintue conversation wasnt like i was sending him messages for hours!

Baler
06-21-2020, 10:26 PM
I encourage you to read the Play Nice Policy (PNP) - Server Rules and Expectations

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325349

Albanwr
06-21-2020, 10:28 PM
Should have picked a name that was not garbage.

Snortles Chortles
06-21-2020, 10:37 PM
https://i.imgur.com/tvNAdZk.gif

Cecily
06-21-2020, 10:39 PM
Honestly, "Garbage" would have been a massive improvement.

Woke Locc
06-21-2020, 10:43 PM
no bawlz

Arcticflava
06-21-2020, 11:20 PM
Asking why i was having my name changed is not spam if he would just answer in a way i could understand then it wouldnt have been an issue he came in all God like and just did what ever not asking me a word about the name or where is came from and what i meant. I am hurt that it was deemed sexual due to the way it came about....So yea Game guides have all the power and if you question it they suspend you!

He is god as far as you and your accpunt are concerned.

Blistig
06-21-2020, 11:50 PM
On top of this, I heard he puts his milk in before his cereal.

loramin
06-21-2020, 11:53 PM

:eek:

Baler
06-21-2020, 11:56 PM
https://i.imgur.com/uDNKBVu.gif (https://i.imgur.com/ID5yeeB.png)

Trexller
06-22-2020, 01:14 AM
yeah the OP should get like at least a few words as to his infraction.

but most of the P99 staff has super-thin skin and considers any question to be an assault

i had this problem with Sirken once. but i was also in a guild that he hated.

What guild are you in, OP?

Bardp1999
06-22-2020, 04:21 AM
I had many battles with Fatnar aka Braknar the Greasy about Wu'Tang and he never suspended me over it.

And I went FULL autism, not just a few in game tells

sydbarrett25
06-22-2020, 06:56 AM
There may have been more to the story... a few F bombs or so? If it was a simple case of , " hey why does my surname suck?" then that is pretty lame.

greenspectre
06-22-2020, 07:17 AM
Also, I'm pretty sure trying to put multiple words in your surname is a violation of the naming policy as well. "X of the Y" is clearly meant to be a 4-word 'title' disguised as a surname, so if we want to get SUPER technical OP is violating the naming policy anyways.

kjs86z
06-22-2020, 08:13 AM

you monster

tyrant49333
06-22-2020, 10:52 AM
Filed under no one cares

maskedmelon
06-22-2020, 11:06 AM

Solid advice. The Iron Fist of our beloved staff is just. Like BardP99 said, he went full autism about his surname, publishing a series of short stories (fun reads if you haven’t read them) and musical compositions. Not once was his character suspended.

Dogma
06-22-2020, 11:12 AM
I had my surname Bawlzoftheharsh taken away by Medris Guide of p1999 and i asked why. Said was deemed sexual in nature. I said thew word "Bawl" is not sexual in nature and is a real word and im using it contextually correct. He refused to answer and after many attempts to get an answer he suspended my account for 7 days and i want this fixed and to be reinstated proper!You should ask to speak with his supervisor.

Jeffari
06-22-2020, 11:42 AM
Hey OP, quit your "bawling" get it? Bawling? Crying? Ahh ha ha ha ha... *crickets*

Loadsamoney
06-22-2020, 11:48 AM
Should I be worried about losing my surname? Starspangledman Withaplan?

Woke Locc
06-22-2020, 12:12 PM
Hey OP, quit your "bawling" get it? Bawling? Crying? Ahh ha ha ha ha... *crickets*

Jimjam
06-22-2020, 12:42 PM
I wish I was a little bit taller...

Loadsamoney
06-22-2020, 01:23 PM
I wish I was a little bit taller...

Not that you are one (not that I've seen anyway, you seem pretty decent and trustworthy), but your name makes me think of scam artists. I use the phrase "flim flam" a lot, and when I read your name, I think "He's trying to Jim Jam me."

Skarne
06-22-2020, 01:48 PM

<Banned>

Kohedron
06-22-2020, 02:56 PM
lmao get fucked, cya

Videri
06-22-2020, 03:49 PM
I had my surname Bawlzoftheharsh taken away by Medris Guide of p1999 and i asked why. Said was deemed sexual in nature. I said thew word "Bawl" is not sexual in nature and is a real word and im using it contextually correct. He refused to answer and after many attempts to get an answer he suspended my account for 7 days and i want this fixed and to be reinstated proper!

What does the surname mean?

goldlush
06-22-2020, 04:30 PM
So you spammed a guide and didn't expect any repercussions?

Yeah just don't commit any crimes or whatever

Izmael
06-22-2020, 04:34 PM
bawlz not up

kauvian
06-22-2020, 04:34 PM
I was the one that reported you.

Wallicker
06-22-2020, 04:58 PM
I, Also, reported this flagrant name abuse.

Bardp1999
06-22-2020, 05:51 PM
Hey my character 'Fourtwenty Hitlerbonerlord' just got name changed, the staff are out of control at the moment.

Videri
06-22-2020, 08:55 PM
Firstly, talking back to GMs isn't a great way to get what you want. Hassling a GM can get you a suspension. They're volunteers - we should try to tax their patience as little as possible.

Secondly, is "harsh" slang for hash? Like weed? Does Bawlzoftheharsh mean "lots of weed"?

If so, perhaps the rules will explain it the issue with the name. Here are quotes from the Project 1999 Naming Policy (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17488):

•*Common words and phrases that would not be found in the time, place and setting of EverQuest (e.g. Switchblade, Phaser, Toaster, Cannabis).
•*Names that contain sentences (Ikillorcs), phrases (Ontop), or two or more words that do not form descriptive compound words (Petcarbob, Diediedie and Tablechair).
Descriptive compound words are allowed in first names and are encouraged in surnames (e.g. Treehugger, Giantslayer).
Descriptive compound words (each separate part of the word and the entire word) must otherwise adhere to all other naming rules.

Loadsamoney
06-22-2020, 09:12 PM
Firstly, talking back to GMs isn't a great way to get what you want. Hassling a GM can get you a suspension. They're volunteers - we should try to tax their patience as little as possible.

Secondly, is "harsh" slang for hash? Like weed? Does Bawlzoftheharsh mean "lots of weed"?

If so, perhaps the rules will explain it the issue with the name. Here are quotes from the Project 1999 Naming Policy (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17488):

There's so many stipulations to the naming policy, they may as well just say "use a randomized name only."

Arteker
06-22-2020, 09:35 PM
im glad they added a addendum to name policy just because my poor shaman back in the day
Hielo negro legacy lives on.

Drakborn
06-22-2020, 10:33 PM
Bawlzoftheharsh

He did you a favor... change it to something less dumb.

Loadsamoney
06-22-2020, 11:07 PM
Butzofthewaste

loramin
06-23-2020, 01:12 AM
There's so many stipulations to the naming policy, they may as well just say "use a randomized name only."

The real stipulation is that you can get away with many violations others can't a as long as no one reports you. If a name is a bad enough someone will report it at some point, but I've seen lots of borderline, but at least kinda funny/clever names, which last for years.

DMN
06-23-2020, 01:21 AM

Hey that was my trick as a kid for fruity pebbles. The only way to eat them without half of them turned completely to mush.

Loadsamoney
06-23-2020, 01:27 AM
The real stipulation is that you can get away with many violations others can't a as long as no one reports you. If a name is a bad enough someone will report it at some point, but I've seen lots of borderline, but at least kinda funny/clever names, which last for years.

https://i.imgur.com/ftDMUti.jpg

I'd be upset if that name got deleted. It's technically a minor violation but it's not offensive or anything. I've just become a big Captain America fan as of recent.

Sinistria
06-23-2020, 02:45 AM
Their server, their rules, nothing to argue or discuss.
And you can be sure they have better things to do then justifiy themself for their actions.
They have lots of things to do and we should be gladful they do it for us and not bother them with this kind of shit (give them extra work by changing names and then start arguing about it)

There is a name policy, you should have read that before choosing your surname.
(at least you had 20 levels time for that)

TBH, what do you expect with that kind of name?
Your intensions with that name were clear.

Videri
06-23-2020, 02:59 AM

Just because we can't name our characters 100% ironic WoW-tastic AOL-screen-name-esque sentences doesn't mean the name policy is "use a randomized name only." You might have to "use a little imagination."

Loadsamoney
06-23-2020, 03:15 AM
Just because we can't name our characters 100% ironic WoW-tastic AOL-screen-name-esque sentences doesn't mean the name policy is "use a randomized name only." You might have to "use a little imagination."

I'm not saying that the TC's reprimand wasn't deserved, but cmon. That is a lot of restrictions on what you can and can't name your character.

It is their server though, so end of discussion.

Muggens
06-23-2020, 05:24 AM
These naming policy nazis are dumb. News flash, your random generated name aint kewl either, and its all subjective. "Oh this name hurts my eyes when i play my dwarf simulator, better tell the teacher"

Baler
06-23-2020, 05:32 AM
I had many battles with Fatnar aka Braknar the Greasy about Wu'Tang and he never suspended me over it.

And I went FULL autism, not just a few in game tells

The difference between Braknar and you is is no one will miss you

https://i.imgur.com/QJwEXBk.gif

Baler
06-23-2020, 05:33 AM
These naming policy nazis are dumb.

Die in a fire leftist

Tethler
06-23-2020, 05:53 AM
Now you have 7 days to think up a new surname. Medris really did you a favor by wiping out that naming travesty.

Baler
06-23-2020, 05:54 AM
Now you have 7 days to think up a new surname. Medris really did you a favor by wiping out that naming travesty.

Really, we should all agree this. It's been said before in this thread. But for real.

White_knight
06-23-2020, 06:16 AM
These naming policy nazis are dumb. News flash, your random generated name aint kewl either, and its all subjective. "Oh this name hurts my eyes when i play my dwarf simulator, better tell the teacher"

^

Baler
06-23-2020, 06:31 AM
^

I know who your forum account mains, why waste posts on an alt account?

White_knight
06-23-2020, 07:00 AM
I know who your forum account mains, why waste posts on an alt account?

Wot?

My old main forum account is banned.

Mistaken ID my dude.

Naerron
06-23-2020, 08:31 AM
the real hard hitting question here is....why would anyone fight to save this name?

DMN
06-23-2020, 09:48 AM
I've prolly said it before, but the degree in which the GMs focused on names/naming policy highly depended on the specific GM that "ran" each server. For those who might not know, GMs all generally ran one or two servers. Because of this some servers were far more rigorous in the naming guidelines than others. I'd say that p99 is more on the lax side of the spectrum on name enforcement.

As perpetual devil's advocate, though, it bugs me a bit that names are more often changed on the "squeaky wheel "philosophy than an actual user's wrongful derivation from the naming policy. But I'm not losing any sleep over it.

loramin
06-23-2020, 10:29 AM
I'd say that p99 is more on the lax side of the spectrum on name enforcement.

I'd say that's the understatement of the year. I played mainly on one server, but I played on a few others also, and I never, on any server, saw even a quarter of the flagrant name violations I see on Blue.

I wouldn't say I've lost any sleep over it either, but this is one area where our lack of paid GMs is clearly on display.

DMN
06-23-2020, 11:10 AM
my general feeling was that the first batch(or so) of servers released had a heightened concern about the naming policies, which I suspect had to do with the higher volume of characters who were truly RPing a given character, such as "Pockete" on green.

You'd find many players doing something similar to her back then.

I remember this one troll who was afraid of water who, after gorging himself on froglok tadpoles, nearly drowned. He required someone to blind (yes BLIND) him in order to cross open water . There was plenty of plenty of other people doing similar things.

I think the "newer servers" were both different in player base and in "GM base".

Snortles Chortles
06-23-2020, 11:53 AM
https://i.imgur.com/Ti5UoMH.png

Dolalin
06-23-2020, 11:55 AM
Perhaps a weekly job could be run against character_data.lastname, then emailed to guides to peruse as part of their volunteer work :)

Or piped to an appropriate profanity API.

I could probably wire up a bash script to do this actually.

loramin
06-23-2020, 12:07 PM
Perhaps a weekly job could be run against character_data.lastname, then emailed to guides to peruse as part of their volunteer work :)

Or piped to an appropriate profanity API.

I could probably wire up a bash script to do this actually.

Awhile back someone mentioned that the staff fixes names when they are reported (via /petition), and a group of players went on a crusade to make the place more classic (something I'm sure you can identify with ;)). Those players would look at every name in places like EC and /petition every violator they found. In short, they were a human version of your script.

Now the staff did fix the petitioned names ... but then that created a ton of drama, as people who'd had their (violating) name for a long time felt A) betrayed since they were allowed to have it that long, and B) unfairly targeted, since other violating names (that hadn't been petitioned) were still around.

This created some forum drama, and very likely a ton of in-game drama as well. So as much as I'd love for the staff to use a script and clean up names, I suspect the real cost of that operation isn't finding the names ... it's dealing with the fallout of fixing them.

loramin
06-23-2020, 12:09 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Ti5UoMH.png

Great meme, I'll have to remember to re-use :)

Dolalin
06-23-2020, 12:16 PM
Awhile back someone mentioned that the staff fixes names when they are reported (via /petition), and a group of players went on a crusade to make the place more classic (something I'm sure you can identify with ;)). Those players would look at every name in places like EC and /petition every violator they found. In short, they were a human version of your script.

Now the staff did fix the petitioned names ... but then that created a ton of drama, as people who'd had their (violating) name for a long time felt A) betrayed since they were allowed to have it that long, and B) unfairly targeted, since other violating names (that hadn't been petitioned) were still around.

This created some forum drama, and very likely a ton of in-game drama as well. So as much as I'd love for the staff to use a script and clean up names, I suspect the real cost of that operation isn't finding the names ... it's dealing with the fallout of fixing them.

That's a good point. I'm an asshole by nature so it's probably just as well I'm not a staff member.

loramin
06-23-2020, 12:30 PM
That's a good point. I'm an asshole by nature so it's probably just as well I'm not a staff member.

Well ... and I mean this in the best possible (not staff-bashing) way ... I think some of the staff might even self-identify, proudly, as assholes ;)

But even assholes get tired of dealing with masses of whiny players whining at once, so while personally I'm in favor of mass name corrections (since I don't have to deal with the fallout) ... I can't blame them for wanting to keep it to a slow and steady drip of whining instead.

Loadsamoney
06-23-2020, 12:34 PM
They'd probably be more willing to deal with the aftermath if they were getting paid.

Loadsamoney
06-23-2020, 02:32 PM
Also, I need to start singing this in OOC when I'm on my Paladin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i574Em3IrI

LazyHydras
06-23-2020, 03:02 PM
Look guys, I'm not going to be overbearing on this one. . . but I'm probably going to make an executive decision. . . .

kaev
06-23-2020, 03:15 PM
I've prolly said it before, but the degree in which the GMs focused on names/naming policy highly depended on the specific GM that "ran" each server...

The most :boggle: classic namechange I saw was on Tunare server, guy had a troll warrior named Scumbag that was deemed offensive. I mean wtf? there are plenty of NPCs who call you a scumsucker when they agro, but naming yourself Scumbag is offensive? I'd guess an easy 20%+ of the names on blue wouldn't have survived the classic name police on live.

White_knight
06-23-2020, 03:56 PM
Awhile back someone mentioned that the staff fixes names when they are reported (via /petition), and a group of players went on a crusade to make the place more classic (something I'm sure you can identify with ;)).

The problem I have with people like this is that they most probably are playing with custom UIs, GINA or nParse running. Then they turn their nose up because a Troll in the swamp has a name that doesn't align with classic or whatever 2 dollar paperback fantasy novel they are reading at the moment.

So old mate in the swamp who was trying to be a bit witty with a name choice in a 20 year old emulated game cops a /petition.

Could you just imagine for a moment the type of 30-40 year old it takes to hall monitoring name?

White_knight
06-23-2020, 03:57 PM
names*

Jimjam
06-23-2020, 04:07 PM
Imagine being, as a grown man, so upset that you can't make balls deep jokes.

At least stick to the source material and stick to Helm's Deep.

Arteker
06-23-2020, 06:23 PM
The most :boggle: classic namechange I saw was on Tunare server, guy had a troll warrior named Scumbag that was deemed offensive. I mean wtf? there are plenty of NPCs who call you a scumsucker when they agro, but naming yourself Scumbag is offensive? I'd guess an easy 20%+ of the names on blue wouldn't have survived the classic name police on live.

Back in the age my paladin original name Was Acheron , i had it from classic up to pop,
one day im about to start tankin CT on potime when a gm pops.

He wanted me to pick a new name because my name was deemed illegal due to some satanic metal band havin it . i told the gm it was a greek river and the reason i picked it up was because when i made it i was watching the movie aliens and the name stuck on my head .

No avail with the gm , he forced name changed me and left, Thus Vonhammer was born . 38 minutes later we took down CT with the first hybrid full tankin a raid boss since chuckles tanked nagafen on solusek ro in the year 2000.

Philistine
06-23-2020, 10:46 PM

I'm totally going to use this

cd288
06-23-2020, 11:38 PM
I've prolly said it before, but the degree in which the GMs focused on names/naming policy highly depended on the specific GM that "ran" each server. For those who might not know, GMs all generally ran one or two servers. Because of this some servers were far more rigorous in the naming guidelines than others. I'd say that p99 is more on the lax side of the spectrum on name enforcement.

As perpetual devil's advocate, though, it bugs me a bit that names are more often changed on the "squeaky wheel "philosophy than an actual user's wrongful derivation from the naming policy. But I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Personally I only really ever enforced name changes if someone had petitioned about it or it was something actually offensive. Otherwise if there was no record of a player complaining about the name I just left it alone; not worth the trouble.

DMN
06-24-2020, 07:57 AM
Personally I only really ever enforced name changes if someone had petitioned about it or it was something actually offensive. Otherwise if there was no record of a player complaining about the name I just left it alone; not worth the trouble.

Now that I think about it, especially given what p99 is like, the more I'm inclined to think the differences in enforcement was simply the changing demographics of players coming to EQ. The original people who started early in the game largely planned to either completely RP all the time or at least some of the time. As time went on more people who just wanted to play the game not RP started to fill up the servers.

Not only are RPers more inclined to make RP-oriented names, they are also more likely to call attention to non-RP names, especially stupid ones like "Ilike hairynuts".

I remember this one monk on RZ was named shinshong dendong. i always wondered if people just didn't "get it" .

For those that don't get it it's subtle refrrence to the mocking phrase "ching chong, ding dong."

greenspectre
06-24-2020, 08:03 AM
Not only are RPers more inclined to make RP-oriented names, they are also more likely to call attention to non-RP names, especially stupid ones like "Ilike hairynuts".

I remember this one monk on RZ was named shinshong dendong. i always wondered if people just didn't "get it" .

For those that don't get it it's subtle refrrence to the mocking phrase "ching chong, ding dong."

Ilike Hairynuts was way better than the other one.

Medris
06-24-2020, 12:30 PM

Omg total defamation of character, Blistig.

/petition!

Snortles Chortles
06-24-2020, 12:59 PM
https://i.imgur.com/D9rsALN.jpg

kauvian
06-24-2020, 06:37 PM
No avail with the gm , he forced name changed me and left, Thus Vonhammer was born . 38 minutes later we took down CT with the first hybrid full tankin a raid boss since chuckles tanked nagafen on solusek ro in the year 2000.

Uteranla was the only true cleric on Solusek Ro. Aside from Hideki...

kauvian
06-24-2020, 06:38 PM
Uteranla was the only true cleric on Solusek Ro. Aside from Hideki...

And by cleric I mean Paladin.

Arteker
06-25-2020, 11:05 AM
And by cleric I mean Paladin.

dont remember him on magna charta so i win

Loadsamoney
06-29-2020, 07:56 PM
I'll say this. The majority of players I've seen in game, a good 75-80% or so, possibly more, seem to simply be using randomized names. So it doesn't seem like a lot of people try to come up with a creative name of their own, they just let the game generate one for them.

Is this because of the strict guidelines on naming policy, or just laziness?

Videri
06-29-2020, 08:20 PM
What percentage of players:
• Are a druid with dru in their name
• Are a druid with port in their name
• Are a SoW class with sow in their name
• Are a shaman with slow or buff in their name
...the list goes on and on.

Laziness.

Blingy
06-29-2020, 08:31 PM
I'll say this. The majority of players I've seen in game, a good 75-80% or so, possibly more, seem to simply be using randomized names. So it doesn't seem like a lot of people try to come up with a creative name of their own, they just let the game generate one for them.

I "chose" many of my toons names because I've been using them forever. Way the hell back in 1979 I went to a swim meet in Yakima, Washington. A couple of my teammates were playing some sort of game I never heard of. After sitting down and watching/listening to Mike, Mike, Drew and Mark a shiny new gnomish magician named Tweelis was created. Eventually Tweelis reached level 20, Grand Arch Magus.

As time went on Tweelis was born in September 2000 on Saryrn server. Things changed and that Tweelis retired at level 110 with somewhere around 20k AA's.

Tweelis was then again created on P99-Blue. Years passed and he eventually made it to level 60. Decided to give the epic a whirl on blue....oh to heck with that mess.

P99 green came into existence. It's time to start Tweelis anew. Choose gnome, magician, type Tweelis into the name slot....WTF? Some knuckle dragging mouth breather took my name? Whoever the Forest Gump Rainman is that did this deserves a ghost pepper enema.

Either Tweelis or random name generator.....random name generator it is.

Loadsamoney
06-29-2020, 09:04 PM
Ghost Pepper is outdated man. Go Carolina Reaper or Pepper X. Maybe Chocolate Bhutlah.

Loadsamoney
06-29-2020, 09:10 PM
What percentage of players:
• Are a druid with dru in their name
• Are a druid with port in their name
• Are a SoW class with sow in their name
• Are a shaman with slow or buff in their name
...the list goes on and on.

Laziness.

I'm just saying that I see quite a few names that I can't connect to anything or have never heard before, but sound somewhat similar to the kinds of names that most NPC's have.

cd288
06-29-2020, 09:18 PM
I "chose" many of my toons names because I've been using them forever. Way the hell back in 1979 I went to a swim meet in Yakima, Washington. A couple of my teammates were playing some sort of game I never heard of. After sitting down and watching/listening to Mike, Mike, Drew and Mark a shiny new gnomish magician named Tweelis was created. Eventually Tweelis reached level 20, Grand Arch Magus.

As time went on Tweelis was born in September 2000 on Saryrn server. Things changed and that Tweelis retired at level 110 with somewhere around 20k AA's.

Tweelis was then again created on P99-Blue. Years passed and he eventually made it to level 60. Decided to give the epic a whirl on blue....oh to heck with that mess.

P99 green came into existence. It's time to start Tweelis anew. Choose gnome, magician, type Tweelis into the name slot....WTF? Some knuckle dragging mouth breather took my name? Whoever the Forest Gump Rainman is that did this deserves a ghost pepper enema.

Either Tweelis or random name generator.....random name generator it is.

Were you using your same account on Blue as you were on Green? If not, that’s probably the problem

sydbarrett25
06-29-2020, 09:21 PM
Wow wtf, I am from Yakima, WA

Videri
06-29-2020, 10:02 PM
I'm just saying that I see quite a few names that I can't connect to anything or have never heard before, but sound somewhat similar to the kinds of names that most NPC's have.

My point is, you don't have to push the random name generator because all other legal names are taken. There are plenty of cool names available if people take a few minutes to think and imagine.

greenspectre
06-30-2020, 09:17 AM

Main toon on live, Elizuth (ERU SK) was named because I anagram'ed a few letters from "Cazic Thule" and then added a few to make it a real name. Surname Muramasa came from some Wikipedia wormhole action on the word, reading the legend behind said Japanese sword smith, and going with that. Then proceeded to GM blacksmithing as one of the few Erudite GM smiths on Quellious/Rodcet.

Current toon, Lobnor, was named after a friend of mine's made-up character "Lobnor, the Beaver Heaver" a hilarious barbarian type that would throw beavers as a method of attack. Naming filter wouldn't let me put "beaver" in my surname, but as a shaman I felt "Feverheaver" was a good homage. Said friend died of a heart attack last December (at 34 no less. Watch what you eat and drink, folks) so now I am firmly locked into taking him to 60 and getting epic in his honor.

But I've had goofy toon names, too. Spamme Sandwiche the monk (melee spam, get it?), Ffurball Forgotten the Vah Shir bard, Dijay Dissension the Half-elf bard, Zegzy Beazt the Ikky beastlord, etc. I have definitely noticed more time and energy went into toons I came up with REAL names for than the goofy-ass ones.

Anyone else got cool toon name stories?

Dogma
06-30-2020, 09:19 AM
Anyone else got cool toon name stories?Sounds like a good new thread idea. This one getting stale.

Supreme
06-30-2020, 09:35 AM
Meh i been suspended for far less and for much longer.

Role an alt.

OuterChimp
06-30-2020, 10:28 AM
I've never found the need to interact with a GM or Guide in really all my time playing.

I do remember, back in the day, a Guide came to my Ogre Warrior who was named Bigdonut. She was some kind of elf and had two little dazzly wands that had sparkles coming from them.

She kindly told me there aren't any donuts in Norrath and promptly changed my name.

I felt like i had gotten scolded by a teacher.

I meekly said "thank you" and "I'm sorry" and went on my way.

Moral of the story is....I never got a ban from it.

jmart1983
06-30-2020, 12:19 PM
I don't remember what the name was of the first EQ progression server (or if it was just a regular new server, was like '06-'07) but I got my bard named Madnotes Clitcommander to 56 before I had to change it. I was always so surprised that it made it passed the name violation checker to begin with.

strongNpretty
06-30-2020, 12:36 PM
I'd like to know what happened to that high level barb shaman and ogre in Unrest a few days ago that had 2 GM's in zone talking to them.. Khorvo? Khorva? Korva? I need the deets on what went down!!!!

Loadsamoney
06-30-2020, 01:12 PM
I'd like to know what happened to that high level barb shaman and ogre in Unrest a few days ago that had 2 GM's in zone talking to them.. Khorvo? Khorva? Korva? I need the deets on what went down!!!!

The name I have planned for my Ranger, Ripandtear Untilitisdone, is because I'm a big fan of DOOM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpllUQ38CKY

Loadsamoney
06-30-2020, 01:16 PM
That was a misquote, actually. Meant to quote this guy:

Anyone else got cool toon name stories?