PDA

View Full Version : High levels camping all the good spots and bullying lowbies who actually get xp??

northwoods21
06-03-2020, 11:33 AM
Does this get worse as you go up in levels???

I'm only lvl 9, orc camps are often camped by a single person just killing orcs and farming belts...

Today I found an empty Orc Camp 1... so I set about starting a group to get some good xp and belts... I ask in /ooc if anyone wants to start a group for orc camp 1
A high level guy responds and says "no"

So I continue searching, I find a bard who wants to join, and set about recruiting for more people for orc camp 1...

A couple minutes later, this high level toon who said "no" to me joining orc camp 1, runs up and proceeds to start slaughtering all the orcs and takes the camp.

The bard shows up, and I inform him that a high level took the camp, we split up the group and I log off.

So what I want to know, Does this type of player behavior get worse at the good hunting grounds the higher up you go in levels? Is this what I have to look forward to??? :(

Snortles Chortles
06-03-2020, 11:50 AM
take the flight path to a different zone for XP when u run into meanies

drackgon
06-03-2020, 12:09 PM
Its funny I think just a week ago or so I posted about my alt wizzy which sadly I've not gotten chance to play. Same issue happened. Trolls will say stop crying or some other racist stuff bc thats all they can do.

But for your topic. Belts are constantly farmed by higher lvls, just like camps that earn money, or clickys. Example Idol in HHP, Elf sklly in Befallen, orcs in wc/SRO, pretty much anything that falls into helping twinks, money, raiding. Its just the name of the beast. Best thing to do is just move on, thankfully most zones are pretty big, sadly some are just packed. It does get better 18-40 range. Clearly 40+ zones are very limited to XP in and those are generally high reward areas, so 50s will camp them all the time. Most 1-17 zones are just packed. Besides of places like Toxx(bc its garbage), but Misty thicket is a great place they usually not many around fyi!

Helpful tip, moment you log on /lfg on, /ooc Class lvl LFG, and start moving zone to zone in your level range. Also ./who all <zone> find someone around your level and ask, hey can you do CC. Not all will reply, but some will respond. Then just DM peeps and add your name to list.

Lordgordon
06-03-2020, 12:12 PM
Yes. All you will see is level 50s AFK PLing their own chars.

Odyssey 50 cleric does this in wfp at the arena, for example.

jerryR
06-03-2020, 12:12 PM
I'm leveling up an alt straight grouping right now and have had no real issues into the 20s - either finding groups or with high levels taking all the camps.

Occasionally will have someone level 50 camping a specific named but usually if they are well adjusted humans (who still remember the grind...) they will give buffs or help out in exchange for sharing.

Different story about a lot of item camps but if you're just levelling then just stick with it and ignore/avoid peoplelike rhat

Dolalin
06-03-2020, 12:29 PM
On live EQ, nobody could 'own' a camp. You had to share. Guides/GMs enforced sharing.

Seems like it would resolve a lot of toxic behaviour on P99.

drackgon
06-03-2020, 12:50 PM
P99 doesn't pay their GMs, like on live. So GMs could actually react to petitions like camp sharing. I am not saying p99 GMs don't, but just doubt they have the time.

Baler
06-03-2020, 12:53 PM
Name and shame these high level players killing low level orcs.

Donkey Hotay
06-03-2020, 01:08 PM
Dear reddit, I took your advice on playing in EC so I could beg free leveling buffs from the tunnel and get orc belts but it turns out that other people read this too.

Hey nostalgia tourist zoomer, the South Ro orcs drop belts too but there's no free buffs and you'll have to travel. Anyways, good luck with your next retro interest *LOUD LAVASTORM BOOM FUNNY*.

Sabin76
06-03-2020, 01:22 PM
*LOUD LAVASTORM BOOM FUNNY*.

I know it's coming. I know when it's coming. And yet, I still jump every.damn.time. Perhaps I should turn down my headphone volume...

As to the OP, it really depends on a lot of factors. How high level is "high level"? I seriously doubt anyone over 30 is going to bother farming the belts themselves when they could farm the plat to buy them in a fraction of the time. If they are just above XP gain, then I can't really blame them, as belts are a good source of income in your teens. Just to reiterate in a less pithy way than the poster above... there are other zones to go to with just as much XP and far less populated, but you have to be bothered to go look.

I tend to play at night Pacific Time and after about an hour, the zones start clearing as people go to bed. I once had someone who was simply tagging the orcs in WC for faction, and let me clean them all up taking the XP and the loot, so I'd say YMMV in terms of interactions with high level players in lower level camps.

ldgo86
06-03-2020, 01:27 PM
Name and shame these high level players killing low level orcs.

Total dick move by the bard especially with that /tell. Name and shame.

drackgon
06-03-2020, 02:13 PM
Total dick move by the bard especially with that /tell. Name and shame.

Total dick move by the bard? For showing up and seeing the high lvl farming the camp that the group was formed for? I am confused...:confused:
Or you saying shame on him for leaving group which I am sure probably talked with OP some, then left. Doubt guy just GTFO instantly. I would of done same, or said hey we can go to NRO/SRO/Misty/Lavastorm.

TripSin
06-03-2020, 03:18 PM

Occasionally will have someone level 50 camping a specific named but usually if they are well adjusted humans (who still remember the grind...) they will give buffs or help out in exchange for sharing.

Okay, but what are your chances that that level 50 camping something is a well-adjusted human? Like 20% or 30% maybe?

BlackBellamy
06-03-2020, 03:24 PM
On live EQ, nobody could 'own' a camp. You had to share. Guides/GMs enforced sharing.

Seems like it would resolve a lot of toxic behaviour on P99.

Yeah I remember I was camping Frenzy and the GM showed up and he was like now you have share Frenzy with Dudley over here. Oh wait that never happened ever. What "live EQ" are you talking about. Is that what is happening NOW?

loramin
06-03-2020, 03:28 PM
I think a history lesson here might be helpful. These complaints are not P99-specific! They absolutely happened on live, even with paid GMs, and Verant built a solution into the game itself as a direct result!

Like everything on Green, you'll have to wait for it to be unlocked, but I promise it's coming: you just have to wait for The Warrens. Once that zone is released you'll be able to go level your heart out, and any high levels that show up wanting your Kobold Molars will be out of luck, because the (green con) Kobolds won't give them any.

... and then, a few months (maybe a little over a year, I forget?), just as Verant did, P99 will remove the Trivial Loot Code from the Warrens. Because as Verant found, the cure was worse than the disease.

Snortles Chortles
06-03-2020, 03:28 PM
now you have to share this thread with me now

Dolalin
06-03-2020, 03:37 PM
P99 doesn't pay their GMs, like on live. So GMs could actually react to petitions like camp sharing. I am not saying p99 GMs don't, but just doubt they have the time.

I'm curious why you think there would be more petitions about camp sharing than there currently are over KSing and camp stealing. Seems like a wash to me. Having the default policy be "you must share" might even reduce petitions overall.

Dolalin
06-03-2020, 03:44 PM
Yeah I remember I was camping Frenzy and the GM showed up and he was like now you have share Frenzy with Dudley over here. Oh wait that never happened ever. What "live EQ" are you talking about. Is that what is happening NOW?

Plenty of in-era threads about GMs enforcing camp sharing. This Guide suggests rotating the placeholders:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.games.everquest/d8fxWqQHR84/AJ5fqvEj2csJ

It's also directly mentioned in the Verant customer service manual:

8.2.3 Contested Spawn Complaints

When a complaint is received indicating that a spawn or kill is contested, a disruption investigation should first be initiated according to the procedures of section 8.2.2 to determine if harassment or Zone/Area disruption is occurring. After following those procedures and issuing warnings as necessary, instruct the parties involved in the contested spawn situation to work out a compromise. Then leave the scene.

If another complaint is received involving the same spawn site, another disruption investigation should be initiated. After following those procedures and issuing warnings as necessary, if any of the parties involved were involved in the initial situation, establish a compromise for the parties to which the parties are required to abide. The compromise should be as described in section 8.2.3.1. Any party refusing to abide by the compromise established by the CS Representative should be issued a warning for disruption.

On PvP servers, where players can reach a solution to the contested spawn situation, the CS Representative does not need to require the players to share the spawn.

The compromise will require all parties to take turns killing the spawn(s). All parties involved in the contested spawn should be instructed to use /random 0 100 to choose a number. The CS Representative then uses /random 0 100. The individual with the closest number to the CS Representative’s number will be next in the rotation. The CS Representative then bases the rest of the rotation order on how close the other parties’ numbers were to theirs. The compromise established by a CS Representative must be objective and not require the CS Representative to choose one customer over another based on subjective criteria. The CS Representative is the arbiter in any disputes in establishing the compromise.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Kunark_Era_Customer_Service_Guidelines

You're not wrong that generally people would respect camps, but if you start being an arse, it's a good deterrent to shenanigans to know that getting staff involved will result in an enforced compromise that satisfies nobody and will generally result in suspensions if not adhered to. Seems like less work for P99 staff that way, not more.

(As usual, just my own opinion.)

Castle2.0
06-03-2020, 03:48 PM
Like everything on Green, you'll have to wait for it to be unlocked, but I promise it's coming: you just have to wait for The Warrens. Once that zone is released you'll be able to go level your heart out, and any high levels that show up wanting your Kobold Molars will be out of luck, because the (green con) Kobolds won't give them any.

Warrens is when people roll in with their level 50-60 druid buddy to buff them as they slay the whole zone and loot molars because mobs con blue. But of course, the super close together undercon wizard bats might be open for you to try your hand at.... good luck.

ldgo86
06-03-2020, 04:03 PM
Total dick move by the bard? For showing up and seeing the high lvl farming the camp that the group was formed for? I am confused...:confused:
Or you saying shame on him for leaving group which I am sure probably talked with OP some, then left. Doubt guy just GTFO instantly. I would of done same, or said hey we can go to NRO/SRO/Misty/Lavastorm.

I misread the post. I thought the high level WAS a bard. Personal class bias at work there.

DMN
06-03-2020, 04:07 PM
This is what petition a camping dispute looked like back in '99.

People argue over camp.
Someone(s) petitions.
Half an hour to an hour later a guide shows up.
Much like a substitute teacher tries best to get people to listen/cooperate, but 90% of the time that doesn't work because the players know he/she can't do shit, so he/she escalates it.
Half an hour a to an hour later different guide shows same thing happens and has to be escalated again
two to three hours later a GM finally shows up, and by this time the majority of the aggrieved payers have moved on and there s nothing to resolve.

Sometimes there is even a third guide before the GM arriving.

But getting back to the OP, generally I'd avoid overcamped places. If you get lucky and chips fall right then sure enjoy being there, but the majority of the time in primetime hours it won't be worth your headaches, especially if you are primarily wanting exp.

jerryR
06-03-2020, 04:12 PM
Okay, but what are your chances that that level 50 camping something is a well-adjusted human? Like 20% or 30% maybe?

And I don't get this logic. Eventually everyone who keeps playing gets to level 50... and maybe will want to camp an item for themselves, an alt or to sell. wtf is the problem with that?

The most vitriol (edit: at leveling camps) I find comes from twinks racing through levels who are know it alls or lower level people that are already on the cusp of burning out..

loramin
06-03-2020, 04:23 PM
Warrens is when people roll in with their level 50-60 druid buddy to buff them as they slay the whole zone and loot molars because mobs con blue. But of course, the super close together undercon wizard bats might be open for you to try your hand at.... good luck.

... and then, a few months (maybe a little over a year, I forget?), just as Verant did, P99 will remove the Trivial Loot Code from the Warrens. Because as Verant found, the cure was worse than the disease.

cd288
06-03-2020, 05:45 PM
Does this get worse as you go up in levels???

I'm only lvl 9, orc camps are often camped by a single person just killing orcs and farming belts...

Today I found an empty Orc Camp 1... so I set about starting a group to get some good xp and belts... I ask in /ooc if anyone wants to start a group for orc camp 1
A high level guy responds and says "no"

So I continue searching, I find a bard who wants to join, and set about recruiting for more people for orc camp 1...

A couple minutes later, this high level toon who said "no" to me joining orc camp 1, runs up and proceeds to start slaughtering all the orcs and takes the camp.

The bard shows up, and I inform him that a high level took the camp, we split up the group and I log off.

So what I want to know, Does this type of player behavior get worse at the good hunting grounds the higher up you go in levels? Is this what I have to look forward to??? :(

It’s hit or miss. For the most part I have not found the orc camps in EC or WC to be occupied by high levels that frequently. I recently started leveling up a lowbie alt that I’d started awhile ago and hadn’t touched since, and the past few nights I’ve been in a full group at Orc 1 with Orc 2 completely open. I’ve seen WC camped by a high level a bit in that time but not too frequently.

Generally a good compromise if a high level is at a camp like this is to ask them if your group can XP there if they get to have some of the belts that drop. Many high levels will agree to some sort of deal like that and it’s a win for everybody.

Separately, if you’re running into this issue at those camps specifically I would head over to the Desert of Ro where there are a lot of Orc, Dervish, and some undead camps about the same level (Dervish Cutthroats are on the higher end though, like 10-13 I believe). People camp those Orcs in EC and WC sometimes because they frequently drop the belts that can be sold or used to level up an alt (although the XP isn’t great now that they’ve nerfed it). If all you’re looking for is XP there are many underutilized camps in the surrounding zones that I recommend checking out!

cd288
06-03-2020, 05:47 PM
This is what petition a camping dispute looked like back in '99.

People argue over camp.
Someone(s) petitions.
Half an hour to an hour later a guide shows up.
Much like a substitute teacher tries best to get people to listen/cooperate, but 90% of the time that doesn't work because the players know he/she can't do shit, so he/she escalates it.
Half an hour a to an hour later different guide shows same thing happens and has to be escalated again
two to three hours later a GM finally shows up, and by this time the majority of the aggrieved payers have moved on and there s nothing to resolve.

Sometimes there is even a third guide before the GM arriving.

But getting back to the OP, generally I'd avoid overcamped places. If you get lucky and chips fall right then sure enjoy being there, but the majority of the time in primetime hours it won't be worth your headaches, especially if you are primarily wanting exp.

Right when the game came out maybe. Once we put the rules in place this didn’t happen and it would be clear in the petition queue that this was an issue that had been going on for the past 30-60 minutes and had already been looked into once. If the CSR member that handled the original request was still online, which they usually were, they would handle the follow up situation and issue official warnings if people had failed to abide by the imposed compromise. If your account hit 3 official warnings, you were triggered for a suspension (can’t remember what the initial suspension time was).

CreamyCowboy
06-03-2020, 11:08 PM
If im camping orc camps in EC for belts and i see lowbies who need exp, I'll always pass the camp off to them. Kind of a dick move to hoard the camp like that. So if you see me at an orc camp, just send me a tell that you're forming up and I'll be more than happy to hand it over.

Phraxas
06-03-2020, 11:45 PM
if your level 50 and farming for DF belts and dont know that EC is the worst camp for them... we got bigger issues~! go to WC more orcs, go to sro, more camps/orcs~!

cd288
06-04-2020, 12:25 AM

I’ve had GMs respond plenty of times to petitions over camp disputes over the years. They actually do a very good job at it

Dirkdaring
06-04-2020, 01:44 AM
I have camped orcs before for an alt, when no one was selling, but i always go to the camp in wc, because low lvls use orc 1 , and orc 2 in ec , since they can run to tunn for buffs, or help with lord shin etc, and if that one is camped i sit by the camp and buy them s they have them .

Ive seen several 40 + camping orc 1 , and when i suggest going to wc camp because no one is there and the low lvls normally go to orc 1 as its safer then going all way to the came in wc, they replay yea that's nice , don't care i can farm belts and sell them easier here .

kaev
06-04-2020, 02:00 AM
... Ive seen several 40 + camping orc 1 , and when i suggest going to wc camp because no one is there and the low lvls normally go to orc 1 as its safer then going all way to the came in wc, they replay yea that's nice , don't care i can farm belts and sell them easier here .

Ima vote name and shame including guildtag, that sort of childish crap should be called out loud and clear. All the more so because it violates no server rules, oh, except the alleged rule #1: don't be a dick.

Furitor
06-04-2020, 02:26 AM
if your level 50 and farming for DF belts and dont know that EC is the worst camp for them... we got bigger issues~! go to WC more orcs, go to sro, more camps/orcs~!

lmao this right here... there's so many better orc camps for belts... why anyone is in EC is confusing.

Fammaden
06-04-2020, 07:30 AM
People come here wanting to do the nostalgia trip of grouping at orc1/orc2 in EC just like back in the day then get rustled when they see it being farmed instead. Taking a full group to one of those camps isn't really great XP in the first place. Go solo or get to Faydwer and LFG in Crushbone, at least that place is worth working around the farmers and has some extra space to do so.

Ghost of Starman
06-04-2020, 08:29 AM
Yes this is just how green is, especially with only classic being out and having 1,000 plus neck beards running around.

Try blue, still has a healthy population, excellent gear Is dirt cheap, and If you're new plenty of people hand it to you for free. Most, but not all, of the very toxic people have moved on to green, so it's become a much chillier place than it used the be. Only downside is there isn't really a lowbie scene since it's very easy to twink out most classes so that they can solo to 30+.

If I was starting out right now, I'd roll up necromancer or Druid on blue.

Exard3k
06-04-2020, 08:45 AM
Competition for loot/xp is part of a non-instanced MMO. I agree that higher levels shouldn't block progress of low lvl groups, as they have plenty of other options a lvl 8 group doesn't have.

And EQ Classic is larger than you think it is...I avoid the most crowded areas and find my sweet spot where no one bothers to go. Even with 1000+ players, classic is still a large place. And the 3rd/4th best spot without competition is, for me, way less stressful and more rewarding than the usual hotspots.

Fammaden
06-04-2020, 09:40 AM
Yes this is just how green is, especially with only classic being out and having 1,000 plus neck beards running around.

Try blue, still has a healthy population, excellent gear Is dirt cheap, and If you're new plenty of people hand it to you for free. Most, but not all, of the very toxic people have moved on to green, so it's become a much chillier place than it used the be. Only downside is there isn't really a lowbie scene since it's very easy to twink out most classes so that they can solo to 30+.

Bonus is you can join Dial a Port as a blue druid and actually make some real cash. The raiders and long time blue players aren't stingy about port tips like Seal Team and the rest of the green players, and likely you'll just get more port requests overall on blue.

Snortles Chortles
06-04-2020, 09:44 AM
elf welfare

Exard3k
06-04-2020, 10:18 AM
Bonus is you can join Dial a Port as a blue druid and actually make some real cash.

So I can make my own price for ports? :)

cd288
06-04-2020, 10:22 AM

If starting a brand new char I would also do it on blue

Oddbaal
06-04-2020, 10:26 AM
As a son of Erud, I have ran into such characters during my exploration of crushbone; higher seasoned adventurers without the will or courage to advance. If they do not respond to civil discourse, it is your divine right to park there and contest the camp.

Oddbaal
06-04-2020, 12:29 PM
As a son of Erud, I've come across such things during my exploration of Crushbone. Lesser adventurers, too cowardly to advance in the world to grow their own personal power. If diplomacy and civil discourse fail, it is your divine right to park and contest a camp.