PDA

View Full Version : So much wasted time and zero custom content

Naerron
05-20-2020, 02:53 PM
So..before you all tell about the nerfs you could guise under the term custom content, that's not what i mean.

It occurred to me today that there have been hundreds of hours (maybe more) spent on creating policy and layering raids. I feel like this work gets wiped away by changes in the social dynamic or changes to nerf the play base.

Instead of wasting time with a temporary solution why not just create some more raid content? Some really easy content to install would be single mobs in already iconic zones.

Why do i say it would be easy? Because there is a metric booty load of data to show how a mob should be tuned so it creates a certain level of difficulty for current p99 raiding capabilities. Same goes with mob drops, and besides, everyone is so crazy over geared for the content we could literally skip to pop and get into ele planes without looting a single item after gridning AAs.

So here are some amazing ideas for where to place new raid bosses:

1. City leaders or iconic city figures.
2. Bring back Mayong Mistmoore and make him hit like AoW and proc like VS
3. Add the guardians in Skyshrine
4. Why are there not more spooky undead dragons to raid in DN?
5. Odus needs a raid mob...period.
6. A kraken in any of the ocean zones
7. The maze in Kerra Isle needs a raid mob
8. Temple of Sol Ro needs an Avatar of Sol Ro
9. Make a raid version of King Xorbb
10. Make Bristlebane an actual fun raid to do
11. Lake Rathe needs a Lochnees monster to raid
12. Halas Arena - Fight a berserker that is a badass, maybe even a ring style event.
13. Deep in Akanon something went wrong..fight a crazy steam powered beasty

And if the EQ lore leaves you creatively dry... here's over 100 pages of inspiration from the EQ creators muse

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4jAv0Wgv9taVnhSZEgxaDdMakk/view

Naerron
05-20-2020, 02:58 PM
also...Where is the lvl 65 griffon we've all been waiting to get cool griffon themed items from?

Kohedron
05-20-2020, 02:58 PM
Speaking of wastes of time...

jolanar
05-20-2020, 02:59 PM
If they were going to create a new raid mob, they should make it cooperative instead of competitive somehow.

I'm thinking like GM event type situations where everyone involved gets something mediocre and a lucky few people get something high quality.

Snortles Chortles
05-20-2020, 03:14 PM
i demand free content

Morikaidin
05-20-2020, 03:15 PM
Because this isn't actually a video game.

This is a museum piece that the curators allow the public to wander around in and interact with as long as certain rules are followed.

So much nonsense on these forums because folks don't seem to grasp this concept.

The purpose is not to entertain you, the purpose is to entertain them.

You are tolerated, because the curators have found that some folks actually have the same appreciation for the artwork that they do, and they want those folks to be able to see it.

That is all.

cd288
05-20-2020, 03:17 PM
Because this isn't actually a video game.

This is a museum piece that the curators allow the public to wander around in and interact with as long as certain rules are followed.

So much nonsense on these forums because folks don't seem to grasp this concept.

The purpose is not to entertain you, the purpose is to entertain them.

You are tolerated, because the curators have found that some folks actually have the same appreciation for the artwork that they do, and they want those folks to be able to see it.

That is all.

/thread

cd288
05-20-2020, 03:18 PM
Also wouldn’t be surprised if some of OP’s suggestions could be considered prohibited under the legal agreement with Daybreak

Naerron
05-20-2020, 03:22 PM
ok before the comments get more off track...

Naerron
05-20-2020, 03:25 PM
Also... right where is says Blue Server, read there...but Nilbog was just the project creator, what does he know right?

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333743&highlight=custom+content

DMN
05-20-2020, 03:28 PM
I was thinking of an event something like purchasing war bonds at town leaders. Let's say every X amount plat you donate you get a bond/whatever. When certain amount of plat is collected an event will be enabled, and within the next 24-48 hours the event will start. At the end of the event if it's successfully completed, you can trade the bonds and you get random rewards, and perhaps that could be decided every time and perhaps changing the rewards or cycling them every time the a new event is created/finished. I'd also recommend a super rare chance of a legacy item every time. Like 0.1%.

This of course deals with plat inflation and adds something cool as well has giving people a small chance to get something they otherwise never could.

drackgon
05-20-2020, 03:28 PM
8 year old post back when he was much more active. I won't lie, Id be fine with custom content totally on blue server or adding in AAs. Current goal is merge green into blue come end of vel anyway. Custom content then would be interesting. But back on point 8 year old post chances are will never happen. Devs have RLs as well and a 10 year old project is just that. Be happy with the museum Morikadin posted. If you don't like it go join a progression server on live.

Bbeta
05-20-2020, 03:30 PM
If they were going to create a new raid mob, they should make it cooperative instead of competitive somehow.

Easy to make it coop, make the NPC controlled by a PC, have the PC attack all clerics and dps until all raid entities work together

Kohedron
05-20-2020, 03:44 PM
Did somebody just quote a 50 year old post that was made in passing and forgotten 49.99 years ago regarding a 400 year old video game?

Grumph
05-20-2020, 04:36 PM
Yeah I think it'd be cool to add stuff to existing zones, especially the ones that get limited traffic.

Naerron
05-20-2020, 04:44 PM
y'all are tryin so hard to hate on this and still failing very hard, the post from Nilbog, the dude who started this project, is from September of last year when green launched and he outlined the vision for the project going forward.

Guess i shouldn't have put the post here and not expect the droolers to puke all over it as a knee jerk reaction.

7thGate
05-20-2020, 04:54 PM
Itemize Jaled`Dar's shade with an item used to kick off a custom quest that, when solved, results in rebinding the sleeper and resurrecting the warders.

One of the classic experiences we can't relive here is figuring out a quest as a community, because they're all solved. This gives another raid mob to kill (one that's harder than pretty much anything else, I believe), gives the community the classic figuring-out-the-quest experience, provides a way to reset the sleeper that's player controlled, and doesn't actually introduce any items into the game that aren't classic.

indiscriminate_hater
05-20-2020, 05:04 PM
Can you imagine what the idiots on this server would do if AA's were implemented? The Hole would be uninhabitable

cd288
05-20-2020, 08:14 PM

Not really sure how this has anything with the things OP was outlining. In some of his bullet points he's saying make up new raid bosses etc. Basically brand new content.

The post you're showing is talking about content that exists in the EQ universe (not only from an IP perspective but also from a coding and development perspective) being added to the game. Kind of different from what OP seems to want.

Nocht
05-20-2020, 09:30 PM
Can we have Veksar? It was supposed to be released with kunark :P

Woke Locc
05-20-2020, 09:34 PM
Just go play shards of dalaya you idiot

The content is good

Sunderfury
05-20-2020, 10:10 PM

Shit's Classic.

Pictures of GM event:
https://web.archive.org/web/20020221122151/http://www.eternalparadox.org/gallery6.html

Log of GM event:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010730155018/http://eternalparadox.org/Galene22may01.htm

Nuggie
05-20-2020, 10:45 PM

12. Halas Arena - Fight a berserker that is a badass, maybe even a ring style event.

1. Yes. Make the dwarf king give the "good hits" to RoS faction again. That was classic A.F.
2. Yes, but put him in Lfay.... not in a mid level exp zone.
3. no opinion.
4. Lots of real estate down there. Good idea. Make Paladins Great Again(heh).
5. ... yael? or do you mean outside there?
6. Tim Deep has a dragon. OoT has Alliz, Iceclad has... a turtle... Could use a snow dragon.
7. Like a minotaur?
8. +1
9. At the altar, not wandering the zone. That would suck.
10. I may have lied recently. Not sure I've done this in ages. Does it suck?
11. Yea, in that underwater cave with the gobo's.
12. I like it.
13. Out in the underwater lake?

p.s. You have good ideas.

Naerron
05-21-2020, 01:57 PM
#Mechlotyranacon

Lotxi
05-21-2020, 03:04 PM
Shit's Classic.

Pictures of GM event:
https://web.archive.org/web/20020221122151/http://www.eternalparadox.org/gallery6.html

Log of GM event:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010730155018/http://eternalparadox.org/Galene22may01.htm

[Wed May 23 00:19:38 2001] Zaping shouts, 'it was lame because everyone killed the characters!'
[Wed May 23 00:20:17 2001] Stalpus shouts, 'Idiots Killed the Machines and NPCs'

This is exactly what I would expect to happen here, I guess classic was more similar than I thought

Waedawen
05-21-2020, 05:42 PM
raiding fucking sucks
your suggestions are raids

Neno
05-26-2020, 02:13 AM
Custom content is pretty hard to do. Anything for low to mid tier that produces any kind of value would just be constantly camped for months. Higher tier things like raids would have hundreds of fully geared players showing up for and lead to drama. This is one of the problems with having an open world like EQ. There are a ton of things that could be done by utilizing instancing but people start tugging at their neckbeards at the thought of not having to compete against 300 other nerds over a few pixels.

Something like LDoN would scratch a lot of itches people have. Variable difficulty, single group to small "raids", leader boards for bragging rights, ability to target purchase various items you want while still having RNG drops, can be done at lower levels and at cap. The LDoN dungeons were pretty uninspired but is sitting at a single camp for 6 hours really any less interactive than fighting your way through hallway-room-hallway-room? Perhaps even the old dungeons already in game could be utilized. Would anyone really hate the thought of trying to 3 group raid Lower Guk tuned for level 65+ while fighting for the top of a leader board?

kelsoider
05-26-2020, 02:16 AM
So..before you all tell about the nerfs you could guise under the term custom content, that's not what i mean.

It occurred to me today that there have been hundreds of hours (maybe more) spent on creating policy and layering raids. I feel like this work gets wiped away by changes in the social dynamic or changes to nerf the play base.

Instead of wasting time with a temporary solution why not just create some more raid content? Some really easy content to install would be single mobs in already iconic zones.

Why do i say it would be easy? Because there is a metric booty load of data to show how a mob should be tuned so it creates a certain level of difficulty for current p99 raiding capabilities. Same goes with mob drops, and besides, everyone is so crazy over geared for the content we could literally skip to pop and get into ele planes without looting a single item after gridning AAs.

And if the EQ lore leaves you creatively dry... here's over 100 pages of inspiration from the EQ creators muse

Crazy I was just thinking about this after reading someones reddit post, talking about taking clarity from enchanters and giving it to wizards. There is a cultural watershed going on worldwide, it seems to have spilled over into p99.

kelsoider
05-26-2020, 02:17 AM

Custom content confirmed. Move to resolved

Mblake81
05-26-2020, 06:48 AM
Shit's Classic.

Pictures of GM event:

Good guild names before overstimulation took hold.

https://i.imgur.com/mFbX152.jpg

goldlush
05-26-2020, 08:49 AM
Why was there never a wasp or bixie dungeon

Mblake81
05-26-2020, 09:50 AM
Why was there never a wasp or bixie dungeon

The Hive
Stonehive, big honeycomb dungeons.

As Loramin said there are no desert dungeons either, old ruined cities to explore. False walls, full of traps like pit falls and swinging blades.

No sea dungeons, sunk pirate ships.

cd288
05-26-2020, 11:16 AM
The Hive
Stonehive, big honeycomb dungeons.

As Loramin said there are no desert dungeons either, old ruined cities to explore. False walls, full of traps like pit falls and swinging blades.

No sea dungeons, sunk pirate ships.

Well there’s Kedge and SG (which is underwater on the sea) so I guess at least they did the underwater thing

Mblake81
05-26-2020, 12:30 PM
Well there’s Kedge and SG (which is underwater on the sea) so I guess at least they did the underwater thing

Kedge is neat in its own right, especially for 1999. The original developers were bold enough to put a fully underwater dungeon in the game.

Just saying for the most part the ocean floors are barren and could be used. Might even put a teleport ring/pyramid under there. Just might sure to have EB up before port, its a swim to the surface.

Clazxiss
05-26-2020, 04:28 PM
What you suggest takes time and it's obvious, the devs do not have much of it to give P99 anymore. The Chardok revamp patch took literal years to implement. Custom content would take even longer than that. Building something from scratch for a private EQ server takes scary amounts of time.

This is a free emulator that exists solely on donations. Let me ask you this, have you donated to the project? Do you donate more than once, and if so, how often and what amount?

If you want to try something out that is different, try Red. Same EQ, but with an extra layer of complexity.

If it's more content you're looking for then I'd suggest the TLP servers or live.

kelsoider
05-26-2020, 08:20 PM
What you suggest takes time and it's obvious, the devs do not have much of it to give P99 anymore. The Chardok revamp patch took literal years to implement. Custom content would take even longer than that. Building something from scratch for a private EQ server takes scary amounts of time.

This is a free emulator that exists solely on donations. Let me ask you this, have you donated to the project? Do you donate more than once, and if so, how often and what amount?

If you want to try something out that is different, try Red. Same EQ, but with an extra layer of complexity.

If it's more content you're looking for then I'd suggest the TLP servers or live.

If there was a resolved push by the devs to focus more on the game and they were inclined to ask for money for that purpose, I might be persuaded to send a few bucks their way. I think most of us, especially the active players, wouldn't mind all chipping in some money if they knew we would be getting content. This sounds similar to DLC now that I write it out...
But as far as donations as concerned, what would be wrong with organizing a campaign to make this game great again? Its clear that some people are unhappy, that there is tons of room for improvement. Custom content was already confirmed. If they need 5 bucks from each to us to get started, throw up a go fund me and judge for yourself how much interest there is by the amount of money they receive.
I don't know. I need other perspectives as well. But why promise content at all if this was really a museum?

Mblake81
05-26-2020, 11:06 PM
I don't think they can do that because of Daybreak or Dark paw. They would be competing financially with the parent company even if its an emulated server that doesn't directly interact with the main live servers. It's still money taken that isn't going to the parent.

Jibartik
05-27-2020, 12:16 AM

Some great ideas, there is a great myth abut a creature (https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/early-eq1-any-story-behind-the-kraken.196741/) in lake rathe!

Ive always wanted city leader raids, imagine if there were two quest lines that when completed would change the city from a working city to a KOS dungeon until a raid boss is killed and the city is returned and the cycle is repeated or something :o

aaezil
05-27-2020, 03:25 AM
This mob already exists

His name is Fippy Darkpaw

OuterChimp
05-27-2020, 09:05 AM
OP, we had all this shiz back on Teal...then the merge happened.

Come join my Minecraft Realm. I'll give you a diamond pickaxe with Unbreaking II on it!

mycoolrausch
05-27-2020, 08:41 PM
p99 blue could use more scheduled raids like Sky/Hate farms/HoT etc

These are the bread and butter of non top-tier guilds, and benefit everyone. There are no downsides.

Sky's multi level system is good, but the temp keying is stupid.

A new sky-like multi-level raid like Sky but with permanent keys would be amazing custom constant. It could be challenging content with sky-like quests that fills in the gaps in some of the gear in velious. For example, for warriors: a decent aggro weapon (all the velious aggro weaps are bad), a decent neck (the flurry neck for warriors is complete trash), a 41% haste item (the sky 41% warrior haste is ridiculously rare, and has trash stats). I'm not as familiar with other classes for gaps in gear, but that's the idea.

Maybe someday.

Ligma
05-28-2020, 12:19 AM
I always felt like PoP zones would be great for custom content. Grummus, MB, Terris are already basically tuned to Ntov in both loot and difficulty.

Zones could be added any number of ways. I'm not feeling that creative.

Maybe burrower parasite event could be added to WW. Kind of fits with the ice burrower theme and is considered on AoW lefel

ScottBerta
05-28-2020, 09:56 PM
Custom content is pretty hard to do. Anything for low to mid tier that produces any kind of value would just be constantly camped for months. Higher tier things like raids would have hundreds of fully geared players showing up for and lead to drama. This is one of the problems with having an open world like EQ. There are a ton of things that could be done by utilizing instancing but people start tugging at their neckbeards at the thought of not having to compete against 300 other nerds over a few pixels.

Something like LDoN would scratch a lot of itches people have. Variable difficulty, single group to small "raids", leader boards for bragging rights, ability to target purchase various items you want while still having RNG drops, can be done at lower levels and at cap. The LDoN dungeons were pretty uninspired but is sitting at a single camp for 6 hours really any less interactive than fighting your way through hallway-room-hallway-room? Perhaps even the old dungeons already in game could be utilized. Would anyone really hate the thought of trying to 3 group raid Lower Guk tuned for level 65+ while fighting for the top of a leader board?

I thought Ldons were a lot of fun. I like this idea.

ScottBerta
05-28-2020, 09:57 PM

I thought Ldon mini dungeons were a lot of fun. I like this idea.

ScottBerta
05-28-2020, 10:00 PM
Instances could be cool. Also allowing bazaar type set up in EC.

Mblake81
05-28-2020, 11:34 PM
Pass.

cd288
05-28-2020, 11:57 PM
Instances could be cool. Also allowing bazaar type set up in EC.

Instances and bazaar? What? Those are two of the worst things that ever happened to EQ. The whole point many people are here is because P99 DOESNT have instancing.

Plus there are already servers that offer those that you can play on if you need them.

Woke Locc
05-29-2020, 12:39 AM
bazaar is vastly preferrable to dealing with tunnel rats

cd288
05-29-2020, 12:42 AM
bazaar is vastly preferrable to dealing with tunnel rats

I mean it literally wouldn’t change a thing lol. It would just make it easier for the tunnel rats to be tunnel rats since they don’t have to actively auction and instead can just list their item that they control the market on and go afk

Woke Locc
05-29-2020, 12:46 AM
I mean it literally wouldn’t change a thing lol. It would just make it easier for the tunnel rats to be tunnel rats since they don’t have to actively auction and instead can just list their item that they control the market on and go afk

Yeah but you don't have to talk to them lol

Evets
05-29-2020, 10:07 AM
I enjoy the haggle!

Old_PVP
05-29-2020, 10:46 AM
Bazaar wouldn't be that bad. It's a QoL tool, nothing more. Don't give me that 'classic' argument either... you all still have item linking. Lets go back to the days of typing out item names and stats if we want a real classic experience. It would be nice to put your shit up for auction, go to work, and come home to some sold shit.

Sabin76
05-29-2020, 12:13 PM
I have incredibly vague and probably incorrect memories of people actually using the /auc channel to actually... auction items.

Worry
05-29-2020, 02:00 PM
Veksar, Jaggedpine, Planes, some Luclin zones, all dope.