PDA

View Full Version : Obligatory Scout roll rant

LazyHydras
05-05-2020, 10:46 AM
Thanks, COVID-19. Every day of Scout Roll there has been 1 more person present than the last roll. I'm honestly thinking of giving up before I even win my first roll.

This facet of P99 isn't interesting, exciting, or remotely challenging when everyone brings their 4th alt because they have nothing else to do.

zula
05-05-2020, 10:53 AM
Do you have a suggestion for how scout roll can be improved?

Jimjam
05-05-2020, 10:54 AM
Don't do it then? It's not like scout is a bottleneck for unlocking a whole bunch of extra content.

Those 52 shadow knights need their vox gears!

indiscriminate_hater
05-05-2020, 10:54 AM
Sorry your free loot pinata has lots of people in line

LazyHydras
05-05-2020, 10:57 AM
Don't do it then? It's not like scout is a bottleneck for unlocking a whole bunch of extra content.

Those 52 shadow knights need their vox gears!

If you can suggest a better bracer that my Iksar Warrior can reasonably obtain, I'm open to suggestion. It kind of is a bottleneck for me, at this point. That and Stormfeather.

I would gladly not do it, but in order to continue becoming an adequate tank for my guild, I kind of need at least one bracer.

LazyHydras
05-05-2020, 10:58 AM
Sorry your free loot pinata has lots of people in line

I wish we were "in line," then I would have eventually gotten one. When 50 people show up for every roll, there is no "line," so pick a better analogy.

Fammaden
05-05-2020, 10:58 AM
Make the quest level 60 required.

reznor_
05-05-2020, 11:01 AM
https://i.imgur.com/WHU1ewa.png

Took me 89 rolls. Then 12 to win 2 on my monk. wtf.

Jimjam
05-05-2020, 11:03 AM
If you can suggest a better bracer that my Iksar Warrior can reasonably obtain, I'm open to suggestion. It kind of is a bottleneck for me, at this point. That and Stormfeather.

I would gladly not do it, but in order to continue becoming an adequate tank for my guild, I kind of need at least one bracer.

You don't need BoBs to be an adequate tank. Any bracer you can obtain is better than one that you don't.

LazyHydras
05-05-2020, 11:06 AM
You don't need BoBs to be an adequate tank. Any bracer you can obtain is better than one that you don't.

Depends on how you define need. Do I need it to in order to get a mob's attention? No. Does every little bit of AC, Dex, Sta, and Resists help as a tank? Yes. Are tanks more gear dependent than other classes? Yes.

At a certain point you do "need" these pieces to continue upgrading your toon.

But this isn't my point - my point isn't that I "need" it to do my job, my point is that the # of people present at scout roll literally never goes down.

Dithien
05-05-2020, 11:10 AM
Just get 2 Silver Chitin Wristbands for the time being, and attend scout when you are able and don't stress over it. My warrior had ToV drop before I ever won my first scout roll.

zula
But this isn't my point - my point isn't that I "need" it to do my job, my point is that the # of people present at scout roll literally never goes down.

And it never will as long as people are still playing on this server and making new characters, whether those are alts or new players. It looks like you have a 60 necro so I guess this isn't your first character, why judge others for wanting to get loot for their alts when that's what you are doing?

LazyHydras

To answer your question: No, I don't have a suggestion for how scout roll can be improved. But this is not the sub-forum for constructive criticism is it? There's literally no system, short of the GMs for some irrational reason intervening, to "improve" scout roll or make it "fair."

Vallaen
05-05-2020, 11:12 AM
Your tank is an iksar the bracer wont help make him adequate

LazyHydras
05-05-2020, 11:12 AM
And it never will as long as people are still playing on this server and making new characters, whether those are alts or new players. It looks like you have a 60 necro so I guess this isn't your first character, why judge others for wanting to get loot for their alts when that's what you are doing?

I mean...the robe isn't exactly great or necessary for gearing up to take on more difficult content. Bracers, on the other hand, are pretty much ideal for every melee class considering the multitude of stats on them. So, I'm not "getting one for my alts," as I never sat there with Neph in the first place and have not won a single scout roll.

At the end of the day, bear in mind, this is just a rant.

zula
05-05-2020, 11:13 AM
At the end of the day, bear in mind, this is just a rant.

Fair enough, have at it!

LazyHydras
05-05-2020, 11:13 AM
Your tank is an iksar the bracer wont help make him adequate

Listen, buddy. By executive decision, grats Bladefrenzy.

strongNpretty
05-05-2020, 11:14 AM
Thanks, COVID-19. Every day of Scout Roll there has been 1 more person present than the last roll. I'm honestly thinking of giving up before I even win my first roll.

This facet of P99 isn't interesting, exciting, or remotely challenging when everyone brings their 4th alt because they have nothing else to do.

Haha I hear ya.. Unfortunately to be the greatest at EQ, it's all about having more time on your hands than the next guy...…. This is still the best game ever!

Dithien
05-05-2020, 11:17 AM
Also remember, back in the click-fest days this was unobtainable by most people. Being able to roll and have all these people help you kill Captain is a luxury.

fuckshit22
05-05-2020, 11:18 AM
hi im new to eq. will winning scout rolls make my ranger a viable thing instead of just another dicksucking epic begging leech? if not don't cry about this bracer, cry about rangers.

kjs86z
https://youtu.be/FRZN7IzvCVs?t=56

matticas
Silver Chitin Wristbands aren't too far behind BoBs. Or you could faction with Kael and farm/buy Warlord's Bracers.

Fammaden
Getting Krystaps to level 60 would help you immensely more than getting two BoB's.

Dithien
05-05-2020, 11:20 AM
Getting Krystaps to level 60 would help you immensely more than getting two BoB's.

^^ This X100

LazyHydras
05-05-2020, 11:20 AM
hi im new to eq. will winning scout rolls make my ranger a viable thing instead of just another dicksucking epic begging leech? if not don't cry about this bracer, cry about rangers.

Rangergate serves a valuable purpose, fret not.

LazyHydras
05-05-2020, 11:21 AM

Do you think I'm just sitting at Scout Roll position 24/7?

Fammaden
05-05-2020, 11:23 AM
Well you do have LAZY in your name...

LazyHydras
05-05-2020, 11:24 AM
Well you do have LAZY in your name...

Touché

loramin
05-05-2020, 11:26 AM

I do! Let me paint a picture ..

You show up to Scout sometime in advance of the spawn: you can show up a minute or an hour before, it doesn't matter. You use the command /list to indicate you want a chance at scout, and then ... you wait for Scout.

A short while later Scout spawns, and everyone on the list gets an automatic "roll": the winner now has five minutes to complete the turn-in. They and their friends kill it, and everyone else waits for next roll.

Now, we could stop right there, at what I can consider "as mechanically classic as it gets here". But what we really want is "the EQ we all remember", and no one remembers mass crowds waiting to be handed great loot for winning a raffle on live. To "get back to live", I'd suggest a tiny bit of custom tweaking to make it better: the roll goes by group size (so all full groups roll first, then if there are no full groups any groups of five roll, and so on).

Why that last bit? Because then Scout stops being a free loot train for anyone who shows up, and goes back to being how it was on live (you have to bring friends to complete the quest). With just this small change Scout could go from being incredibly unclassic to once again being the way we all remember it on live (if we even remember this quest at all).

Jimjam
05-05-2020, 11:34 AM

Feature not a bug. There is always someone to help you. You can either be patient and play the long odds or you can choose some wrists which might not be quite as good, but are more realistically attainable for you.

Again, any wrist is better than the wrist you 'could have', but don't, have.

Jimjam
05-05-2020, 11:44 AM
Mad double post:

I agree you shouldn't be pulling your warrior in and out of xp groups to make the run back and forth to scout rolls.

Scout rolls are best done on a character you aren't otherwise playing just so you can log in, /random, autoattack or help pull and log out again.

Fammaden
05-05-2020, 11:53 AM
Mad double post:

I agree you shouldn't be pulling your warrior in and out of xp groups to make the run back and forth to scout rolls.

Scout rolls are best done on a character you aren't otherwise playing just so you can log in, /random, autoattack or help pull and log out again.

This is for sure the best way to approach it. Get to 60, be willing to just park there full time and play other things, hit the roll every ten hours or as close to it as you are willing/able. If that doesn't work for you then you're going to get more cynical about scout roll than you would otherwise.

LazyHydras
05-05-2020, 12:00 PM
You are right, but, lol. Talk about deviating from the classic experience.

indiscriminate_hater
05-05-2020, 12:21 PM
my point is that the # of people present at scout roll literally never goes down.

Thanks for this outstanding contribution to the p99 forums

Xulia
05-05-2020, 01:25 PM
I agree it sucks. I would prefer being able to spawn Charisa vs. waiting 10 hours for a spawn, but I also much prefer the Scout Roll to the Scout Chaos that used to happen. In terms of alternatives...There really aren't any you're going to find that aren't ToV tier or above. The class armor bracers for melee characters from Thurg don't come close to BoB. Still not nearly as much of a gear bottleneck as getting a Vindi BP.

Canelek
05-05-2020, 02:53 PM
Seems like we need one of those want/need workshops.