PDA

View Full Version : Recent RMT/Leveling Bans/suspensions

drackgon
04-30-2020, 06:07 AM
So Galach recently suspended a few peeps for doing the Tundra Jack exploit. Apparently IB/ST on Green. (God I will laugh so hard if it was Mehus)

But I also just heard that some more got caught RMT. Anyone know the scoop?

BlackBellamy
04-30-2020, 07:54 AM
If anyone needs an elf lawyer I'm right there for you.

PM me.

I'll have that little bitch on your porch all trussed up with an apple in it's mouth next morning.

Mblake81
04-30-2020, 08:13 AM
/petition "*SOBS* BlackBellamy broke rules #3456 and #4323 during his elflawyering, make him forfeit his next 3 lawyerings for the infraction and inability to adhere to server rules and player agreements.

--------------------------------------

[posts to rants and flames]

I have a 10 inch peeniss

Sup dewds, so that BlackBellamy punk tried to rule lawyer me about my actions, so I gave him what for. Here is some edited logs with a pic, sup. If anyone else tries to do this just know we will settle it man to man. Heck, I even tried to negotiate a lesser forfeit without going to the GMs but the guy left me no choice.

Sincerely yours,

Idiot.

Phaezed-Reality
04-30-2020, 08:39 AM

PM me.

I'll have that little bitch on your porch all trussed up with an apple in it's mouth next morning.

A real elf lawyer has a card.
https://i.imgur.com/Ag0DBG0.png

furthermore since these supposed crimes were done in front of permafrost, in full view of the icegiant camps where many people go and is how this was petitioned in the first place. I would argue that these offenses were not made in bad faith and they did not know it was against server policy, the punishment does not fit the crime. A warning would have sufficed.

magnetaress
04-30-2020, 09:37 AM
One thing the GMs have made clear is you do not ever discuss RMT on this box...

Dogma
04-30-2020, 09:51 AM
One thing the GMs have made clear is you do not ever discuss RMT on this box...The first rule of RMT Club...

galach
04-30-2020, 10:57 AM
In 2017, I discovered and did the audit research on an internal white collar crime of $150,000 at my company over a couple years. They were purchasing Ipads & other devices and photoshopping credit card statements and not balancing their reconciles. We ended up recovering around $110,000 of the stolen goods. Looking through electronic statements, balance sheets, reconciles and other accounting worksheets is natural for me.

I only wish we could do the same to the people that I catch selling goods on Project 1999. It is truly mind blowing that some people would pay $700+ for a single item. If you are going to purchase something for money, remember that I will catch you eventually and you will only regret it down the line. People purchasing stuff in early December only to level, get to 50 and their account gets banned. Don't sell, don't buy, don't RMT. Simple.

Jimjam
04-30-2020, 11:01 AM
One thing the GMs have made clear is you do not ever discuss RMT on this box...

There is one thing RMTers want and its discussing!

mcoy
04-30-2020, 11:07 AM
some people would pay $700+ for a single item

Holy crap.

-Mcoy

kjs86z
04-30-2020, 11:08 AM
It is truly mind blowing that some people would pay $700+ for a single item.

yikes

magnetaress
04-30-2020, 11:08 AM
Yup

drackgon
04-30-2020, 11:13 AM
I played a lot of Diablo 3 when it first came out. I was watching people buy items for 200-800$ left and right. So clearly tons and tons of doing it. Btw Galach TY for catching and hitting them with ban stick.

I heard its only a 7 day suspension sad only 7 days. I am curious how its not a perma ban just like being caught doing duel boxing. It seems to fall in same category to me.

galach
04-30-2020, 11:15 AM
RMT seller = perma ban all accounts

RMT buyer = perma ban

Boxing on green = perma ban

Don't break the rules.

drackgon
04-30-2020, 11:34 AM
oh I am sorry, was talking about the Leveling exploit. <3 galach, you and menden have helped me and this server countless times:) My dumbself loves to let mage bags rot^-^

Mblake81
04-30-2020, 11:36 AM
And I just got the credit card reader for my Duke controller.. damnit. One press without the mess. I had the buy now function mapped to the awesome button.

Sethius Marlowe
04-30-2020, 11:54 AM
I only wish we could do the same to the people that I catch selling goods on Project 1999. It is truly mind blowing that some people would pay $700+ for a single item. If you are going to purchase something for money, remember that I will catch you eventually and you will only regret it down the line. People purchasing stuff in early December only to level, get to 50 and their account gets banned. Don't sell, don't buy, don't RMT. Simple.

Here's my take on that. It's really just a matter of relativity, it's not all that crazy.

Money means different things to different people. I could be wrong but it's probably not a 34 year old that works for minimum wage at mcdonalds dropping 700 bones on a cloak of flames. I could see someone who maybe lives on the dole dropping that for an item for a game that they play 10 hours a day that makes them happy. That's honestly just kind of like buying a decent mattress. Pretty similar concept.

Then also you need to consider that the game we play is made up of mostly people who grew up and were 14-40 the first go around. Now they're 34-60. They don't have the time or energy that they used to, but they do have money. And money buys "time" in that sense. Because you don't need to farm for like two weeks full days to make enough money to buy a CoF if you've got kids and a job and a partner and stuff. You just can't do it. But you're still fiending for that nostalgia.

And also also, like, the game is made up of nerdy people. Nerdy people skew towards some pretty high end salary tech jobs. If I'm making 200k a year but want an EQ fix, my paychecks are 12k take home a month. 700 bucks for an item that will make me happier when I play for a few hours for a few months even though I'll MAYBE get banned down the road, and if that happens I'll just pivot to something else to get my joy from. (Speaking metaphorically, I sold money when I was a kid in original EQ but haven't done RMT since, cept maybe a few blizz tokens for convenient gold for tradeskill shit.)

I mean. Everything is just what you value it as.

$700 to one person is a life changer. $700 to another person is spare change. You could pay to house someone in a 1bedroom for a month in like Pittsburgh, or have once nice evening at a pricey restaurant.

Relativity, folks. It drives everrrrrything. That einstein guy knew what was up

aspomwell
04-30-2020, 11:57 AM

PM me.

Make sure you get paid in plat in game, don't want to get banned for accepting RMT elf lawyer fees!

magnetaress
04-30-2020, 12:02 PM
Here's my take on that. It's really just a matter of relativity, it's not all that crazy.

Money means different things to different people. I could be wrong but it's probably not a 34 year old that works for minimum wage at mcdonalds dropping 700 bones on a cloak of flames. I could see someone who maybe lives on the dole dropping that for an item for a game that they play 10 hours a day that makes them happy. That's honestly just kind of like buying a decent mattress. Pretty similar concept.

Then also you need to consider that the game we play is made up of mostly people who grew up and were 14-40 the first go around. Now they're 34-60. They don't have the time or energy that they used to, but they do have money. And money buys "time" in that sense. Because you don't need to farm for like two weeks full days to make enough money to buy a CoF if you've got kids and a job and a partner and stuff. You just can't do it. But you're still fiending for that nostalgia.

And also also, like, the game is made up of nerdy people. Nerdy people skew towards some pretty high end salary tech jobs. If I'm making 200k a year but want an EQ fix, my paychecks are 12k take home a month. 700 bucks for an item that will make me happier when I play for a few hours for a few months even though I'll MAYBE get banned down the road, and if that happens I'll just pivot to something else to get my joy from. (Speaking metaphorically, I sold money when I was a kid in original EQ but haven't done RMT since, cept maybe a few blizz tokens for convenient gold for tradeskill shit.)

$700 to one person is a life changer. $700 to another person is spare change. You could pay to house someone in a 1bedroom for a month in like Pittsburgh, or have once nice evening at a pricey restaurant.

The problem is this does occasionally catch people who are addicts and gamblers, and definitely violates the TOS of the site and impinges on the rights of Darkpaw, Daybreak.

Allowing this opens up potential avenues of harm that I can totally respect the p99 operators do not want to enable, encourage, or condone in any way.

Smart people like me have 16 cores on their CPUs to do some hard dirty work. Or we get a pension. Because we were dumb frakkin cylons in our youths. Thats all I got to say, not everyone is lucky or has the experience to be safe online.

And I appreciate that the 99 devs care.

Doujou
04-30-2020, 12:06 PM
Wouldn't it be worse to log on the character you bought something on for $700, realize it's been removed, and have to go about your day like normal?

magnetaress
04-30-2020, 12:07 PM
I think Reogean, and the staff do care about this as a hobby and it is not some kind of scheme. I think they are emotionally connected to the nostalgia and past and they never wanted to see that vision corrupted by convenience.

I implore anyone who feels the need to RMT here to go play wow, or live TLP server EQ and invest your money into a legitimate game studio, or find an indy game to subsidize for a month. Try a few different ones out and don't put all your eggs in one bascit.

Or take that 700 and invest it in a licence of the unity engine, or a class on level design with Blender.

kauvian
04-30-2020, 12:07 PM
oh I am sorry, was talking about the Leveling exploit. <3 galach, you and menden have helped me and this server countless times:) My dumbself loves to let mage bags rot^-^

You going to brush your teeth after sucking on that GM dick?

kjs86z
04-30-2020, 12:24 PM

get a load of this RMT sympathizer

Mblake81
04-30-2020, 12:32 PM

How bout a tall glass of STFU

boukk
04-30-2020, 01:05 PM
700$ for pixels :D sounds like some left his basement to steal mommy's credit card!

Nirgon
04-30-2020, 01:19 PM
I discovered this, reported it and didn't abuse it way before this

drackgon
04-30-2020, 01:23 PM
So still no ideal what was RMT'd and which guild did it-_-.Other then it did happen last 72 hours ban.

magnetaress
04-30-2020, 01:45 PM
why are u exploiting tundra jack?

Kohedron
04-30-2020, 02:30 PM
I need items that have been collected thousands of times in an ancient video game :(((((((((((((((((

magnetaress
04-30-2020, 02:35 PM
someone should open a server that starts at GoD and only stays at GoD and everyone starts at lvl 60 with basic PoP gear and 100 aas.

Evets
04-30-2020, 05:12 PM
someone should open a server that starts at GoD and only stays at GoD and everyone starts at lvl 60 with basic PoP gear and 100 aas.

that should be the red server ;)

magnetaress
04-30-2020, 05:16 PM
that should be the red server ;)

agreed, thematic with 'gates of discord' as well.

would be cool

Ripqozko
04-30-2020, 05:24 PM
Red sucks

magnetaress
04-30-2020, 05:31 PM
https://i.imgur.com/2zOKXGQ.gif

kaizersoze
04-30-2020, 05:54 PM
Holy crap.

-Mcoy

probably an earth staff tbh

Izmael
04-30-2020, 06:24 PM
I don't understand how you can enjoy a precious item in Everquest without thinking of all blood sweat and tears that it took you to acquire it. What satisfaction is there in looking at a CoF that you just purchased for real cash? I never understood RMT buyers. Boggles my mind but I suppose to each its own.

drackgon
04-30-2020, 06:30 PM
some just want that fake flex

reznor_
04-30-2020, 06:43 PM
I don't understand how you can enjoy a precious item in Everquest without thinking of all blood sweat and tears that it took you to acquire it. What satisfaction is there in looking at a CoF that you just purchased for real cash? I never understood RMT buyers. Boggles my mind but I suppose to each its own.

This. All the shit I wear has a story behind it.

whydothis
04-30-2020, 08:59 PM
So Galach recently suspended a few peeps for doing the Tundra Jack exploit. Apparently IB/ST on Green.

I saw some ST doing this like a month ago so this was going on for a while at least. I didn't report it because I didn't care and also am not a snitch.

Solist
04-30-2020, 09:52 PM
Wouldn't it be worse to log on the character you bought something on for $700, realize it's been removed, and have to go about your day like normal?

This would be pretty funny.

Have a hidden data base of items, like a cloak of flames with a worn 36% slow instead. Replace rmt’d items with these. A manastone that takes 60 hp & 20 mana. Fungi tunic with -regen. Make em all no drop.

Like when live made the seru items of sad exploitation

magnetaress
04-30-2020, 10:03 PM
This would be pretty funny.

Have a hidden data base of items, like a cloak of flames with a worn 36% slow instead. Replace rmt’d items with these. A manastone that takes 60 hp & 20 mana. Fungi tunic with -regen. Make em all no drop.

Like when live made the seru items of sad exploitation

I would want to wear that shit normally just because lol. And I am non exploitative.. :o

Gatorsmash
05-01-2020, 12:47 AM
probably an earth staff tbh

If you want to see how sad people really are, Google it. FYI a few are right on the line of real crimes since I'm guessing most are scams.

Daloon
05-01-2020, 01:33 AM
RMT is legal and fully endorsed in almost every MMORPG there is, its funny how its still so taboo here. You can literally RMT Kronos on EQ Live, Tokens on World of Warcraft, Bonds on Runescape, you name it. But here, if you RMT its like you shot a damn puppy.

I don't care if people RMT. Good for you for cashing out on a god damned video game.

Daloon
05-01-2020, 01:36 AM
I remember back on EQ Live I won Torpor off Emperor in Old Sebilis. I sold it for 65k platinum back when 10k = $200. Winning torpor in Kunark era literally meant a you just won 4 figures lol. Good times.

Hideousclaw
05-01-2020, 01:38 AM
RMT is legal and fully endorsed in almost every MMORPG there is, its funny how its still so taboo here. You can literally RMT Kronos on EQ Live, Tokens on World of Warcraft, Bonds on Runescape, you name it. But here, if you RMT its like you shot a damn puppy.

I don't care if people RMT. Good for you for cashing out on a god damned video game.

I think its because Daybreak will shut it down since its not their thing? Idk. Thats at least how I understood it /shrug

Mblake81
05-01-2020, 05:09 AM

That's because you have no standards.

Legday
05-01-2020, 11:27 AM
I think its because Daybreak will shut it down since its not their thing? Idk. Thats at least how I understood it /shrug

I may have the history wrong here but I believe P99 was under some pressure from Daybreak in terms of copyright but they struck a deal to allow P99 to go on without any hassle as long as P99 didn't make any money off of it. P99 policing RMT is probably the best way to prove that they aren't skimming. There have been some high level scandals involving past GMs that are a tough look, hence why they are so hard on RMTing.

Although I think they were hard on RMT even before the Daybreak deal.

Pretzelle
05-01-2020, 11:44 AM

Further evidence that Aftermath endorses cheating.

Ripqozko
05-01-2020, 12:10 PM
Further evidence that Aftermath endorses cheating.

Aftermath doesn’t exist, welcome to 2020.

Canelek
05-01-2020, 12:32 PM
SoE didn't start to crack down on EBay item and account sales until sometime in Kunark. Some people made some money, sure, but I think if you look at total time invested it may just tell a sadder story.

Pretzelle
05-01-2020, 12:34 PM
Aftermath doesn’t exist, welcome to 2020.

Sorry, Guild652. I know that it upsets you when we use the wrong name. Maybe you could instruct more people on how to alter their files to cheat?

Alfina
05-01-2020, 12:42 PM
Sorry, Guild652. I know that it upsets you when we use the wrong name. Maybe you could instruct more people on how to alter their files to cheat?

Dannnngggggg looks like TSS has found their RNF legs. :eek:

Ripqozko
05-01-2020, 12:48 PM

Sorry Aftermath hurt you so bad. I’ll be your friend. No need to hold in the anger for so many years. We are sorry.

Blingy
05-01-2020, 12:53 PM
Things that haven't been mentioned yet but are also viable things regarding RMT.

Credit card charge backs are a real thing with online communities. Even if Nilbog and Roegen aren't directly implicated with stolen credit card numbers and RMT, places that deal with financial things can swoop in and start making things uncomfortable for them even if they didn't have anything to do with the transaction. This by itself makes stopping RMT an easier thing to do than dealing with the powers that be.

Slightly more weird is how places like the IRS handle online purchases for virtual things. So if somebody purchases Windows 10 from Microsoft they'll pay $100 for the software plus some tax. The IRS will see the entire thing and process things accordingly. If I and another willing party wanted my PID for Win10 we could mutually agree to conduct a financial transaction for my product key. I would be required to disclose by law the sell of my PID key. If I made a profit I'd be required to file an income report based on that sale. This is a virtual item, kinda similar to say and earth staff or white dragon scale for example. So if an earth staff is worth $700 some uppity bean counter that wants to make a name for themselves could swoop in and loudly proclaim that Roegen and Nilbog are generating $500k/year worth of virtual items.....um, ridiculous but there's also barely enough truth to this statement that it could make their lives a bit uncomfortable.

Lastly, it's easiest to just ban RMT outright rather than say "RMT is fine in this situation but not in others". Some might think it's ok for a level 2 bard to be running around in a full suit of bronze that cost the owner 10 minutes worth of work at a tech job but slippery slopes are, well......slippery.

Morikaidin
05-01-2020, 02:05 PM
There is something else that happens with restricting RMT. Not allowing a second source of "payment" helps to keep the economy in check. When the only thing that has value within the game is time played, items get up to a certain value (which does go up over the years, at a steady rate), but this value is lower that it is if you are also able to pay for items with RL cash.

When you look at Daybreak servers like Mangler where RMT is common you find that items quickly become inflated in price to beyond what just the "time invested in game" people can afford, unless they are also Wall Street level traders and/or multiboxers on the side.

(As a side note, multiboxing also manipulates the economy of payment in the same way, effectively allowing one person's time investment to be multiplied by a factor of 6 or more per hour.)

I'm guessing that, as has already been mentioned, the folks in our demographic have overwhelmingly more RL money available than time available to spend on the game.

This leads usually to debates over whether it is more "morally" acceptable to waste hours of your life on a video game via time in front of the pc, or time working a job that gets turned into pixels. Obviously, both are equally wasteful and silly.

The way out of both traps is to enjoy the minute-by-minute with friends or solo, without focusing on illusory "outcomes". Let the items come or not come. If you aren't enjoying your trip day by day you're screwed, because this bus literally has no destination.

shuklak
05-01-2020, 05:51 PM

Lol no the eq nerds buying shit are not 1%ers with little free time. They are basement dwellers splurging on another poor life decision.

Uuruk
05-01-2020, 10:07 PM
In 2017, I discovered and did the audit research on an internal white collar crime of $150,000 at my company over a couple years. They were purchasing Ipads & other devices and photoshopping credit card statements and not balancing their reconciles. We ended up recovering around $110,000 of the stolen goods. Looking through electronic statements, balance sheets, reconciles and other accounting worksheets is natural for me.

I never got caught

Mblake81
05-01-2020, 11:17 PM
This leads usually to debates over whether it is more "morally" acceptable to waste hours of your life on a video game via time in front of the pc, or time working a job that gets turned into pixels. Obviously, both are equally wasteful and silly.

If its so wasteful and silly why are they bothering to occupy their time with something wasteful and silly. Find a better hobby that amuses them, lord knows I wanted to after seeing what it has become.

https://i.imgur.com/4V9FGnB.gif

cd288
05-03-2020, 11:34 PM
RMT seller = perma ban all accounts

RMT buyer = perma ban

Boxing on green = perma ban

Don't break the rules.

So the people who have said it’s historically been a suspension for first time boxing offense are incorrect? Can never tell for sure what the rule is on that

Bryan2856
05-04-2020, 12:28 AM
I think the problem exists that there aren't very many people that can sit on a /list for 3 days or longer without sleep verifying that they are present every 10 minutes or so. This most likely caused a lot of those RMT problems. that FOMO kicks in.

Bardp1999
05-04-2020, 02:57 AM
I understand the sellers, I have no idea WTF the buyers are thinking

magnetaress
05-04-2020, 08:08 AM
You already missed out if the need to RMT kicks in. You're no longer on the EQ journey and are back in the real world. You've lost your immersion.

Is it possible we just had a lot of immersed players with nothing better to do than get a FAKE elf mask? I guess. Any thoughts on whether it was just the same 10 people over and over on multiple accounts? I am feeling like it was at least a few hundred individuals dedicated to elf imitation. By the way way I am flattered...

How long would it take a population of 1000 math wise to reach a 90% loot rate certainty anyway? Curious.

Jimjam
05-04-2020, 08:21 AM
If the game is such a boresome chore you’d rather pay someone else to play it then perhaps you oughtn’t be playing it afterall.

Remember this is a social rpg. I know it’s a meme, but it really is about the friends an adventures we make along the way and not having a ‘finished’ min max character.

Frankly it flabbergasts me that ‘paying not to play’ is such a successful model in modern gaming.

Pint
05-04-2020, 08:33 AM
If the game is such a boresome chore you’d rather pay someone else to play it then perhaps you oughtn’t be playing it afterall.

Tbf it's p reasonable to look at the list camps as a grown adult and decide that your time is worth more then that. Those camps and their mechanics guaranteed that they would get farmed by resellers and sold to ppl who think hundreds of dollars is a fair price to not miss out on a few good night's sleep.

cd288
05-04-2020, 10:08 AM

Remember this is a social rpg. I know it’s a meme, but it really is about the friends an adventures we make along the way and not having a ‘finished’ min max character.

Frankly it flabbergasts me that ‘paying not to play’ is such a successful model in modern gaming.

I guess I wouldn't be surprised if someone wanted to buy like a level 20 or 30 character (or another pre-level 50 level when a class starts to come into it's own) because they felt that the early levels are such a slog. What I don't get is why people will pay for max level characters...raiding in EQ isn't that fun, in fact EQ has some of the most boring raids in existence and depending on your class you may barely do anything during the multi-hour raid. Why would you want to pay for a max level char.

magnetaress
05-04-2020, 10:20 AM
I guess I wouldn't be surprised if someone wanted to buy like a level 20 or 30 character (or another pre-level 50 level when a class starts to come into it's own) because they felt that the early levels are such a slog. What I don't get is why people will pay for max level characters...raiding in EQ isn't that fun, in fact EQ has some of the most boring raids in existence and depending on your class you may barely do anything during the multi-hour raid. Why would you want to pay for a max level char.

Those early levels were not at all a drag to us youngins in 99 and a lot of us feel the same way still. We experienced EQ when there was no 'lvl 100 boost'.

That said, someone who played this game a lot and wants to explore the game at 50 should totally.

IMO we need some EMU projects devoted to a pure classic experience that enable stuff like this.

Sadly the 'cheat enabled' emus are riddled with custom content and non-classic mechanics. So p99 draws people that really aught to consider building their own "kunark box" were everyone starts at 44 with basic classic endish- game loots.

magnetaress
05-04-2020, 10:22 AM
That said, no matter what people do to this game there will always be scrubs running around in banded farming lightstones, because some of us just do it because it feels good and it's low-key-low-stress, unlike competing for dragon pixels. If I was able to game deva and I said it before I would design a game that was raid less and unpredictable, un campable, and the goal would be to shoot min-maxers in the foot.

cd288
05-04-2020, 10:22 AM
If that’s a response to me I can’t see it

Priestnthku
05-04-2020, 11:22 AM
I am one of those individuals on live who routinely purchases 50 - 100 krono a month supporting Daybreak during progression to have the top items. I have my project 1999 life where I enjoy killing low end content. But on TLP's i enjoy using my Krono's to buy the best gear because well, I can. Being at a point in my life where I make approximately 18k monthly with no kids and no bills, I choose my entertainment as running around with these nice trinkets. I suppose it's my hobby. Would I ever do it in Project 1999? Hell no. I only buy the Krono's on live because I can purchase 25 at a time from Daybreak directly and support the company and also have fun.

conoutoftrol
05-04-2020, 07:26 PM
I am one of those individuals on live who routinely purchases 50 - 100 krono a month supporting Daybreak during progression to have the top items. I have my project 1999 life where I enjoy killing low end content. But on TLP's i enjoy using my Krono's to buy the best gear because well, I can. Being at a point in my life where I make approximately 18k monthly with no kids and no bills, I choose my entertainment as running around with these nice trinkets. I suppose it's my hobby. Would I ever do it in Project 1999? Hell no. I only buy the Krono's on live because I can purchase 25 at a time from Daybreak directly and support the company and also have fun.

dam that's a lot of dough

dennardscott86
05-04-2020, 08:29 PM
TMO days Green Scale RMTd for 2k easy. people were Ballin back then Lol

Mblake81
05-04-2020, 08:41 PM

Nice join date, I too am a millionaire doctor who keeps 10/10 bunnies for friends. I impress them with the gear my characters have, they think I am silly but the money makes up for it.

cd288
05-04-2020, 08:45 PM
Nice join date, I too am a millionaire doctor who keeps 10/10 bunnies for friends. I impress them with the gear my characters have, they think I am silly but the money makes up for it.

Not sure why you don’t believe him. Plenty of people on P99 make good money, even more than that guy.

shuklak
05-04-2020, 09:05 PM
Not sure why you don’t believe him. Plenty of people on P99 make good money, even more than that guy.

And they are always the first to bring it up...

Priestnthku
05-05-2020, 06:18 AM

I apologize if I somehow upset you. I was simply trying to point out that the purchase of "pixels" for some is indeed fun. I don't have the amount of free-time it would require to obtain many hard to acquire in-game items and things like Krono's allow me to have the ability to obtain these accordingly. I would bet that while there are many who make the game toxic by purchasing items in these games to "flex" there are just as many like myself who just enjoy a casual experience and making the most of their entertainment time. If I can simply spend 5% of a month's income to purchase items which would be unattainable and increase my happiness while playing I find than satisfying for my personal experience.

phr0stbyt3
05-20-2020, 09:51 AM
I apologize if I somehow upset you. I was simply trying to point out that the purchase of "pixels" for some is indeed fun. I don't have the amount of free-time it would require to obtain many hard to acquire in-game items and things like Krono's allow me to have the ability to obtain these accordingly. I would bet that while there are many who make the game toxic by purchasing items in these games to "flex" there are just as many like myself who just enjoy a casual experience and making the most of their entertainment time. If I can simply spend 5% of a month's income to purchase items which would be unattainable and increase my happiness while playing I find than satisfying for my personal experience.

I used to think like this as well. Speaking from experience and having invested over $1000 invested in PlanetSide 2, I would suggest to you that buying in-game items for real money only provides temporary satiety over your pixel lust. It's really just a hollow substitute for actual gameplay, which is WHY you're lusting in the first place.

Spineripper
05-20-2020, 10:57 AM
Kronos ruin EQ, everyone has top gear on tlp. It just sucks

magnetaress
05-20-2020, 11:18 AM
Kronos ruin EQ, everyone has top gear on tlp. It just sucks

I am using newbie yard armor and Koshiganata hardly top gear for LDON

no one is forcing u to use good gear

loramin
05-20-2020, 11:54 AM

While I completely agree that EQ isn't just about collecting pixels, it's about the social aspect ... I actually think the pixels don't explain the RMT. Ironically, I think it's the "social" part of EQ that does.

EQ creates a social community. When we humans in social communities see other humans in that community appear to be more successful, we get envious (as proof, see the posts above this one where people claim to make lots of money, and then other people gripe about it ;)).

I don't think anyone is paying $700 to RMT an item because they think they'll have $700 more fun ... I think it's:

https://i.imgur.com/2wg8rYk.gif

Evets
05-20-2020, 11:59 AM
Kronos are ridiculously easy to obtain on tlp launches... can make 100s before velious is out playing semi casually (8 hour full time job and adulting chores between play)

Evets
05-20-2020, 12:00 PM
Bet then again same can be said with p99 plat :p

heyokah
05-20-2020, 12:12 PM
You dont have to buy kronos and have the best gear on day one of a TLP drp, but alot of people who prefer the live servers tend to go that route. Spending their own money on a hobby that they enjoy. What a bunch of assholes right.

Mblake81
05-20-2020, 12:21 PM
You dont have to buy kronos and have the best gear on day one of a TLP drp, but alot of people who prefer the live servers tend to go that route. Spending their own money on a hobby that they enjoy. What a bunch of assholes right.

absolutely.

If this was 2000 and we were talking about an Ebay character for laughs.. thats one thing. But today with lootboxes, MTX etc all around I have to draw a line from where I judge.

Hard pass on them, hard pass on that.

cd288
05-20-2020, 12:42 PM
I used to think like this as well. Speaking from experience and having invested over $1000 invested in PlanetSide 2, I would suggest to you that buying in-game items for real money only provides temporary satiety over your pixel lust. It's really just a hollow substitute for actual gameplay, which is WHY you're lusting in the first place.

I would posit that you basically had to spend money in Planetside 2 to have anywhere close to an enjoyable experience lol

SOE seriously ruined Planetside with that game. Too much crazy gear making the gap between a new character and an experienced player way too high. Gameplay was also way more twitch than Planetside 1. I miss the original. If Planetside 1 still existed I would play it daily.

watbab
05-20-2020, 01:36 PM
absolutely.

If this was 2000 and we were talking about an Ebay character for laughs.. thats one thing. But today with lootboxes, MTX etc all around I have to draw a line from where I judge.

Hard pass on them, hard pass on that.

This is a good point. Every online game out there now having a ton of options for people to pay RL money in exchange for game rewards in a perfectly legit way makes coming to P99 to RMT against the rules that much worse. It's getting harder and harder to find any online game not totally corrupted by it.

Spineripper
05-20-2020, 01:58 PM

Ok who the hell spends $700 in one night at a restaurant?

Morikaidin
05-20-2020, 02:10 PM
Easy to do in New York, Honolulu, Vegas, Singapore, Hong Kong, New Orleans, Dubai, lots of places....

loramin
05-20-2020, 02:19 PM
Easy to do in New York, Honolulu, Vegas, Singapore, Hong Kong, New Orleans, Dubai, lots of places....

Yeah, it doesn't even have to be the most expensive restaurant either: ever heard of credit card roulette?

https://i.imgur.com/rhgrBG0.jpg

Basically you and a bunch of friends all go out to eat and drink, and at the end of the night everyone puts their credit card into a pile, and one card is pulled randomly: that poor soul has to foot the bill for the entire evening. With a decent crowd and plenty of drinks, that total can easily exceed $700, even at a relatively cheap place.

I'm not stupid enough to play such a game myself, but some people are :)

Warco
05-20-2020, 02:30 PM

Not sure why I read this and heard Liam Neeson talking

Nirgon
05-20-2020, 02:32 PM

Notice how I reported it and didnt use it?

#GoodGuyNirgon

Jibartik
05-20-2020, 10:02 PM
Man, spending your stimulus check on a weapon to get you through the shut in only to be locked out of norrath and locked inside your basement...

https://i.imgur.com/j2HnfJ3.gif

cd288
05-21-2020, 10:09 AM

Too true unfortunately. Dinner for two at a nice restaurant can run $300 easy at least. Get more expensive on the wine or add another body or two and you're looking at $700 without trying very hard.

kjs86z
05-21-2020, 10:12 AM
Ok who the hell spends $700 in one night at a restaurant?

lol

Mblake81
05-21-2020, 10:41 AM
$700 in a restaurant does not cause other places to suddenly change their menu a certain way or charge $100 for a plate of food consisting of a couple shrimp arranged artfully with a drizzle of special sauce.

Evets
05-21-2020, 01:16 PM
Hell don't some restaurants serve gold flake tacos for $20,000 and shit? doesn't mean anyone should go pay to eat that crap give it to a shelter or something if you want to waste your money

Mblake81
05-21-2020, 01:24 PM
I wont get into the morals of where food should go, because this argument is already well past the point of full retard, but I will admit that I was looking to knock RMT/MTX etc down because it has taken games past the point of full retard.

Mblake81
05-21-2020, 01:25 PM
As video gaming was already prior to this for idiots, losers and nerds.. I was in it then so I have shit on my face already.. but this stuff just makes it worse.

kjs86z
05-21-2020, 01:26 PM
Was on business in Philly a few years ago and had this:

https://youtu.be/2HPd5FIN3x4

Did not disappoint, especially tasty on company tab.

Evia
05-21-2020, 03:13 PM
Damn man! $120 for a cheesesteak?! and the guy said he doesn't even make much money on it because of the ingredients either! Would you go buy another one yourself if ever in the area? Was it that good?

magnetaress
05-21-2020, 03:17 PM
*chomps some 3 week old half opened cheetohs*

Snortles Chortles
05-21-2020, 03:23 PM
https://i.imgur.com/DQj5Lhj.png

BorisItsMe
05-21-2020, 04:02 PM
Ghxst there’s still time to change your name to AftermathRenamedAftermathAgain

Evets
05-21-2020, 04:03 PM
Haha Quiznos makes a damn good cheesesteak and it's only like 5 bucks ... granted I haven't had that one but how much better could it possibly be to be worth more than some families spend on groceries a week. But hell if I had a company card like you I'd try it and maybe some of the $100 a glass liquor to wash it down

Donkey Hotay
05-21-2020, 04:17 PM
ITT: the weakminded classify their degeneracies as hobbies to justify irrational actions to gain dopamine they don't deserve.

mcoy
05-21-2020, 05:22 PM
Coworker bought one of these last weekend:

https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/dry-aged-american-wagyu-tomahawk.html

Said it was very good, but not $200 good.

-Mcoy

JDFriend99
05-21-2020, 08:16 PM

Damn and I left because I got sick of dealing with showEQ players arguing with me and my 13 farmed glowing black stones camp.

So sad I missed this fun. Sorry building my own sandbox now.

OuterChimp
05-22-2020, 08:59 AM
what the heck is the Tundra Jack exploit?

DMN
05-22-2020, 09:25 AM
what the heck is the Tundra Jack exploit?

Good question but i don't think we are supposed to post exploits on these forums.I'm sure they can at least explain what the exploit does without explaining the details. only thing exploit related i remember from back in the day is some people would pull him and his bear to on stone ruins areas and get him stuck in the wall while you would be free to nuke away at him and his pet without any danger to yourself.

damus1
05-22-2020, 09:47 AM
Im one of the ppl who had an account suspended. won't give details since I dont wanna get into any more trouble. the currently banned 'exploit' is softer than that, although I heard they fixed it.

mcoy
05-22-2020, 10:35 AM
Video description:

https://youtu.be/DvvM_M294Wo

-Mcoy

Lotxi
05-22-2020, 12:25 PM
Video description:

https://youtu.be/DvvM_M294Wo

-Mcoy

Nice troll. For the curious though, you can actually see Tundra Jack thing near the end of this video: https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ

Jibartik
05-22-2020, 03:09 PM
I do not know of this exploit and exploits are what make eq eq so I sure hope someone will explain it to me!

Question, is it a p99 exploit or was it a arguably classic one is what I want to know :)

kaev
05-22-2020, 08:35 PM
P99 exploit. The usual lame shit excuses by players who did it and those who saw it but didn't report ("I'm not a snitch" == :fakevirtue:). Not a dupe bug, if that's what you're thinkin.

ChooChoo Train
05-22-2020, 11:12 PM
I may or may not still have the OBS video of the exploit going down and maybe a few screenshots of like 50+ unrotted Iceberg corpses lol I’ll look for them. Basically they were charming Tundra Jack and hasting and weaponizing and killing Iceberg(lvl 35 bear “sidekick” with Tundra jack but Iceberg was insta spawning(how to make this happen has been fixed). This was being done far far away from their normal spawning path in the corner of the zone so they wouldn’t be seen. Fortunately I was about to duo some giants with a Druid and we wanted iceberg as a pet and he was up on bard track! So we recruited the help of a ranger and found him! There was atleast 8 players huddled around up on the wall and an enchanter down below to recharm. Sat with bindsight for a while before I charmed the bear and everyone gated.

To give you an idea Iceberg(gives XP at 50) avg ToD was about 8seconds with an instant respawn. Quadding spectres with instant wands took about 50 seconds to pull, round up and click to death if you were really getting it with a 400second respawn. This is exploit was roughly 14x faster which is mind boggling.

Canelek
05-23-2020, 12:55 AM
Poor, poor Mehu

Jibartik
05-23-2020, 01:14 AM
I may or may not still have the OBS video of the exploit going down and maybe a few screenshots of like 50+ unrotted Iceberg corpses lol I’ll look for them. Basically they were charming Tundra Jack and hasting and weaponizing and killing Iceberg(lvl 35 bear “sidekick” with Tundra jack but Iceberg was insta spawning(how to make this happen has been fixed). This was being done far far away from their normal spawning path in the corner of the zone so they wouldn’t be seen. Fortunately I was about to duo some giants with a Druid and we wanted iceberg as a pet and he was up on bard track! So we recruited the help of a ranger and found him! There was atleast 8 players huddled around up on the wall and an enchanter down below to recharm. Sat with bindsight for a while before I charmed the bear and everyone gated.

To give you an idea Iceberg(gives XP at 50) avg ToD was about 8seconds with an instant respawn. Quadding spectres with instant wands took about 50 seconds to pull, round up and click to death if you were really getting it with a 400second respawn. This is exploit was roughly 14x faster which is mind boggling.

God damn what a story I love Everquest.

damus1
05-23-2020, 03:31 AM
to be fair the xp wasn't that absurd since the 50 enc is required to be in group. Quite good though. and we did nothing special to force iceberg to respawn, he does that anytime he dies and tundra jack is still alive, whether charmed or not.
is guard chopin and exploit mob because he spawns faster than the others? iceberg just happens to spawn instantly but thats how hes coded to behave, and has for decades.

everything else is pretty spot on. good times.

GiRaff3
05-23-2020, 11:32 AM
RMT crap set aside...

Never underestimate the attention to detail and ingenuity of creatures captured in a world that never moves forward.

I love hearing these crazy stories about P99. EQ was never developed to lock people in such a small container.

Jibartik
05-23-2020, 06:42 PM
Eat your heart out Slaythe.

shuklak
05-23-2020, 07:08 PM
RMT crap set aside...

Never underestimate the attention to detail and ingenuity of creatures captured in a world that never moves forward.

I love hearing these crazy stories about P99. EQ was never developed to lock people in such a small container.

"Ur in our world now."

cd288
05-23-2020, 10:42 PM
to be fair the xp wasn't that absurd since the 50 enc is required to be in group. Quite good though. and we did nothing special to force iceberg to respawn, he does that anytime he dies and tundra jack is still alive, whether charmed or not.
is guard chopin and exploit mob because he spawns faster than the others? iceberg just happens to spawn instantly but thats how hes coded to behave, and has for decades.

everything else is pretty spot on. good times.

I mean still sounds really cheap to take advantage of it like that. Totally defeats the point of the game. If you want easy fast EXP that you don’t have to make much effort to get, why aren’t you playing an MMO like WoW?

azeth
05-23-2020, 11:07 PM
I mean still sounds really cheap to take advantage of it like that. Totally defeats the point of the game. If you want easy fast EXP that you don’t have to make much effort to get, why aren’t you playing an MMO like WoW?

For rent money motherfucker

damus1
05-24-2020, 12:12 AM
lots of cheap stuff people do is still legal. charming merchants in OOT and wrecking seafuries / allizew far easier/faster than any other class can do them is pretty cheap

bards PBAEing while barely outside of melee range is cheap, and goes against the original devs 'intended use' more than just about anything else

I agree it was cheap, whether it was an exploit was kinda nebulous until galach said so, but I respect his decision and accepted the punishment

Woke Locc
05-24-2020, 12:25 AM

Some folks like EQ for the exploits and other broken things. That's what makes it unique.

*tips freshly recharged WC cap

*sips*

cd288
05-24-2020, 01:27 AM
lots of cheap stuff people do is still legal. charming merchants in OOT and wrecking seafuries / allizew far easier/faster than any other class can do them is pretty cheap

bards PBAEing while barely outside of melee range is cheap, and goes against the original devs 'intended use' more than just about anything else

I agree it was cheap, whether it was an exploit was kinda nebulous until galach said so, but I respect his decision and accepted the punishment

None of that comes close to exploiting something that respawns instantly so that you have a non-stop stream of EXP

kaev
05-24-2020, 02:14 AM

why is it still allowed to charm vendors on p99 anyway? wasn't on live

Bardp1999
05-24-2020, 03:27 AM
If you like wasting money on a game play Raid Shadow Legends

cd288
05-24-2020, 11:03 AM
why is it still allowed to charm vendors on p99 anyway? wasn't on live

Is there evidence of that? Or is it simply no one thought to do it back then in the early days of the game? A lot of this stuff people say “wasn’t on live” is just stuff that actually was possible to do on live but it wasn’t really done and is the product of 20 years of people trying everything in the game.

Videri
05-24-2020, 11:24 AM
Is there evidence of that? Or is it simply no one thought to do it back then in the early days of the game? A lot of this stuff people say “wasn’t on live” is just stuff that actually was possible to do on live but it wasn’t really done and is the product of 20 years of people trying everything in the game.

There's a bug thread exploring that topic.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357217

Donkey Hotay
05-25-2020, 04:14 AM
The bug forum is a tug-of-war between factions, as that thread neatly demonstrates. Dolalin has an agenda, so he submits weak anecdotal evidence in an attempt to persuade Nilbog to make the game "harder" while DMN is left playing rational critic, pointing out the evidence's weakness and supplying stronger evidence to the contrary. If the DMN-archetype tires of his effort, the other faction wins and the server gets customized so manchildren won't have to accept that they were shitters then and shitters now.

WoW private server and Classic players would destroy in-era players; I see no rational reason to believe in-era EQ players would fare any better against us. I sure as hell am a lot better now because information is ready to hand with exponetially less effort.

kotton05
05-25-2020, 08:08 AM
You will never stop the black market.

Frankly rmt is Classic I don’t support it but don’t bat an eyelash at it. Been offered real money for my stuff and I can see how enticing a few thousand dollars seems over a pixel. If you’re broke it prolly seems like a gold mine.

Mblake81
05-25-2020, 08:20 AM

Frankly rmt is Classic I don’t support it but don’t bat an eyelash at it. Been offered real money for my stuff and I can see how enticing a few thousand dollars seems over a pixel. If you’re broke it prolly seems like a gold mine.

True that, one of the regular guild mates sold his planar armor equipped human SK the week Kunark released for $800 on Ebay. Ebay characters, in era it was often retarded players who didn't know how to play the class since they jumped right to the end.

Actually kind of thought it was neat back in the day, you know, on computers and selling a character on Ebay. Just seemed like things adults would be doing but I never really gave it much thought.

I am primarily against it because of the standards of today. Some game designed revolve around the idea.

An exception is cool when it is an exception. A game that doesn't allow such things is an exception today, which is why P99 is pretty cool.

Snortles Chortles
05-25-2020, 12:03 PM
someone bought my shiddy 57 wizard for 200$ when i quit after PoP

Mblake81
05-25-2020, 12:31 PM
When diablo had the auction house, it wasn't so much that players were selling pixels, granted that is bad enough in its own right, but that Blizzard had an official in game means of doing it. The whole thing was max stat gross.

Guys using something like Ebay outside of a game is like skirting the rules, down low, under cover.. sneaky and getting away with it. I can sort of understand that appeal, keeping secrets. Secrets were a part of original EQ, like recharges.

A company saying here "We are just as degenerate as you guys and we are not even gonna front about it, we are lazy AF so just use this because we are going to do it too.. we are super fans of the original game"

Becomes something else. "Hey you know that epic weapon that we made really hard to get and you sort of feel some kind of lame accomplishment in a digital game? yeah that one. Well, since we have a store here why don't we sell you this. You are a busy working adult who has chosen to spend their free time on a game. We promise this will not harm anyone else or change the games as you know them."

GiRaff3
05-26-2020, 09:23 AM
someone bought my shiddy 57 wizard for 200$ when i quit after PoP

I quit EQ around the fall of 2000, prior to Velious release. I had heard that there was a market for selling items/accounts and wanting some return on investment, so I researched selling on eBay. I eventually sold my 54 Paladin account with a cloak of flames for $1400 and a 48 cleric account in trade. I immediately flipped the cleric account for $200.

I know my parents were not pleased I was playing EQ as much as I was, but my dad was semi impressed I was able to flip my account and items for cash. I ended up doing jack and shit with that money...

cd288
05-26-2020, 11:22 AM

I go back and forth on it. Personally I generally don’t like it because I think it can ruin the in game experience since it arguably leads to people farming plat and certain drops a ton more. And also you have people buying characters on an MMO without ever playing them and having no idea what to do in the higher level content.

But then on the other hand on P99 you have so many pixel addicted people that the plat and loot farming goes on probably to the same extreme it would if RMT was allowed. And anyone buying a character has probably played EQ extensively and has played that class before so they know what they’re doing. So I probably wouldn’t get pissed if they allowed RMT for those reasons, but still I do think it’s kind of stupid to RMT in a game like EQ where the whole reason people like it is because of the grind and difficulty.

Mblake81
05-26-2020, 11:54 AM
but still I do think it’s kind of stupid to RMT in a game like EQ where the whole reason people like it is because of the grind and difficulty.

No doubt.

It does lead to a change in the experience of playing the game, knowing that farming plat to buy an item at the tunnel is just a waste of time.. its a waste of time playing the game. Can buy plat with real money or the item outright. Never had to farm, save, plan, camp the item or level up the character. So no new friends or experiences made, the game wasn't played but skipped.. to play the game?

ooc conversation in zone

Phatazz says in ooc: "Yeah that camp is tough, if you can get in. The named is a wizard that drops quick Ice Comets and usually wipes out the group. I spent 12 hours there before I got my drop"

Duncecap say in ooc: "Lol noob, just buy it"