PDA

View Full Version : Tried to join a DND group on Facebook, instead got ranted at.

Jimjam
04-28-2020, 08:48 PM
I received a screen cap of my application to join a DND group on the Book of Faces

Included in that picture was the group's question and my answer:
Are you a Social Justice Warrior?
I Played a barbarian shaman type character who followed the gods of Justice. Does this count?

Anyway, I got massively weird vibes from this conversation and had to share it with someone. Apologies to DNDgroupAdmin if you play here. I guess now you know the man behind the halfling skin mask.

I just wanted to share my love of roleplay. Instead I was the recipient of rants and venting. Was I wrong to get weirded out?

DNDgroupAdmin
You have google search in England?

Jimjam
yes

DNDgroupAdmin
Oh, good...then I am sure you can answer your own question in the image above.

JJ
I'm a little confused as to why you are messaging me this?

DNDgroupAdmin
you requested to my group...you answered a question with a question, so I am showing you your request.....if you don't understand the question, use google...but you just seem confused anyway.

JJ
and couldn't you have answered your own question as to whether there is google in the uk

DNDgroupAdmin
anyway... saul goodman.

JJ
very good

JJ
I was a little confused as to what the question has to do with dnd. It seemed best to deflect it with a joke.

Have you had particular problems with people who either describe themselves as social justice warrior, or reverse. It seems an odd thing for someone to want to label themselves as either being or not.

DNDgroupAdmin
You have no idea.....if you google Social Justice Warrior, they would have me bow to their "SJW" God.....I am not subservient....I prefer leaders and not followers....so my group is full of just guys that want to be guys, not some "made up" pronoun.....My group is the antithesis of 5th edition D&D....We all grew up in the 70's and 80's and played the TSR games in my group...not WOTC or HASBRO "my little pony" garbage.

JJ
I have a loose concept of what a social justice warrior is, and have no experience of 5th ed so don't have a point of reference for what it means to be the antithesis of it. I grew up in the 80s/90s myself. The chessmaster at secondary school ran a dnd club using 2nd ed

DNDgroupAdmin
I think your Mayor in London pretty much sums up what I dislike about the SJW. All hypocrisy. I lived in Europe 10 years ...5 in Sweden and 5 in Greece. I just came back to this stuff in 2013....I am sure you are aware of the social justice movement going on in the UK. There are those for Brexit and those against it. If you are for it, you are subservient to the EU and Belgium. Pretty simple really.

DNDgroupAdmin
If you are against Brexit, I meant

If you are for staying in the EU, which I cannot imagine....then you give up your British culture....which I cannot imagine.

JJ
I'm going to be honest, I wasn't really wanting to join this group for political reasons. I was just hoping to rekindle an interest in an old hobby.

I lived in Greece for a couple of years too

DNDgroupAdmin
I was in Thessaloniki

JJ
I visited there, love the plaza.

but anyway, it's getting pretty late and due to my lack of sleep I'm getting some weird vibes so I'm going to dip out. Good luck with your group!

DNDgroupAdmin
You want to stay away from political issues, but go over to the 5th edition group and mention orcs. You will immediately realize that the world of the liberal SJW has become insane

azeth
04-28-2020, 09:02 PM
Slaughtered me:

DNDgroupAdmin
You want to stay away from political issues, but go over to the 5th edition group and mention orcs. You will immediately realize that the world of the liberal SJW has become insane

Fammaden
04-28-2020, 09:21 PM
Maybe he was roleplaying and you failed the test to get in.

Woke Locc
04-28-2020, 09:24 PM
intersectionality is right in the same way marxism is right

the human brain is a "silly git", OP

reznor_
04-28-2020, 09:32 PM
yikes

Kohedron
04-28-2020, 09:36 PM
the only thing worse than playing a 20 year old computer game is playing a 60 year old board game

Mblake81
04-28-2020, 09:52 PM
You have no idea.....if you google Social Justice Warrior, they would have me bow to their "SJW" God.....I am not subservient....I prefer leaders and not followers....so my group is full of just guys that want to be guys, not some "made up" pronoun.....My group is the antithesis of 5th edition D&D....We all grew up in the 70's and 80's and played the TSR games in my group...not WOTC or HASBRO "my little pony" garbage.

lol, sounds like the guy who got me into EQ a little bit. I heard some table top games got 'the treatment' for inclusion.

Slaughtered me:

DNDgroupAdmin

I was making fun of it recently on twitter. Orcs needing a shrink (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6XRbwii8WM) Can any of you see Emperor Crush in a commercial? talking about his feelings.

Orc Smash, Orc Kill, Orc make your blood spill!

Crushbone, an Everquest story part 1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxlH_hCxENk), 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IFVG9eWPLM) and 3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivot2yR49VE)

Really just ripping hard on the orcs that look like they were made for Overwatch, WoW or Fortnite. I erased the rant. Next day #Orcs are trending on twitter with people going on about how racist it is. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y624Z7Bbjbs) Comparing them to real people and what they represent. Then the response to that was "white slowflakes incels upset and feel like their fantasy is being attacked"

Lol.. pwning. But its gross how the console controller/ mobile generation is with this stuff. So I get what the guy was going for in his messages about the old D&D, JimJam. This is pwning so the old guys need their safe space or else they will snowflake over their precious nerd shit. ;)

Mblake81
04-28-2020, 09:55 PM
so White & Nerdy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw)

You know we argue with new people here on P99 forums because WoW is their only reference point. Some of them are ok. This isn't WoW though.

So that guy was probably screening you and a bit defensive so he didn't let in some loon that goes about wrecking the place.

Sethius Marlowe
04-28-2020, 09:59 PM
these are the kind of nerds that we're allowed to poke fun at, guys

reznor_
04-28-2020, 10:02 PM
OP I think you dodged a bullet

Sethius Marlowe
04-28-2020, 10:06 PM
CRITICAL MISS AMIRITE?

loramin
04-28-2020, 10:08 PM

reznor_
04-28-2020, 10:09 PM
Next day #Orcs are trending on twitter with people going on about how racist it is. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y624Z7Bbjbs)

God I hate young people

Sibelia1
04-28-2020, 10:55 PM
All guys sounds hip

solleks
04-28-2020, 11:17 PM
Dude sounds legit

Natewest1987
04-29-2020, 01:17 AM

More like dodged a speeding train.

I don’t think the guy was that weird though, I mean, this is the internet, and we’re all atleast somewhat interested in DnD or related media. Gotta expect some looney toons there.

aaezil
04-29-2020, 01:54 AM
Sounds like that dude forgot to take his meds. . .

Swish
04-29-2020, 02:06 AM
https://i.imgur.com/EMzN6jd.gif

Sonderbeast
04-29-2020, 02:16 AM
I received a screen cap of my application to join a DND group on the Book of Faces

Included in that picture was the group's question and my answer:
Are you a Social Justice Warrior?
I Played a barbarian shaman type character who followed the gods of Justice. Does this count?

Anyway, I got massively weird vibes from this conversation and had to share it with someone. Apologies to DNDgroupAdmin if you play here. I guess now you know the man behind the halfling skin mask.

I just wanted to share my love of roleplay. Instead I was the recipient of rants and venting. Was I wrong to get weirded out?

DNDgroupAdmin
You have google search in England?

Jimjam
yes

DNDgroupAdmin
Oh, good...then I am sure you can answer your own question in the image above.

JJ
I'm a little confused as to why you are messaging me this?

DNDgroupAdmin
you requested to my group...you answered a question with a question, so I am showing you your request.....if you don't understand the question, use google...but you just seem confused anyway.

JJ
and couldn't you have answered your own question as to whether there is google in the uk

DNDgroupAdmin
anyway... saul goodman.

JJ
very good

JJ
I was a little confused as to what the question has to do with dnd. It seemed best to deflect it with a joke.

Have you had particular problems with people who either describe themselves as social justice warrior, or reverse. It seems an odd thing for someone to want to label themselves as either being or not.

DNDgroupAdmin

JJ
I have a loose concept of what a social justice warrior is, and have no experience of 5th ed so don't have a point of reference for what it means to be the antithesis of it. I grew up in the 80s/90s myself. The chessmaster at secondary school ran a dnd club using 2nd ed

DNDgroupAdmin
I think your Mayor in London pretty much sums up what I dislike about the SJW. All hypocrisy. I lived in Europe 10 years ...5 in Sweden and 5 in Greece. I just came back to this stuff in 2013....I am sure you are aware of the social justice movement going on in the UK. There are those for Brexit and those against it. If you are for it, you are subservient to the EU and Belgium. Pretty simple really.

DNDgroupAdmin
If you are against Brexit, I meant

If you are for staying in the EU, which I cannot imagine....then you give up your British culture....which I cannot imagine.

JJ
I'm going to be honest, I wasn't really wanting to join this group for political reasons. I was just hoping to rekindle an interest in an old hobby.

I lived in Greece for a couple of years too

DNDgroupAdmin
I was in Thessaloniki

JJ
I visited there, love the plaza.

but anyway, it's getting pretty late and due to my lack of sleep I'm getting some weird vibes so I'm going to dip out. Good luck with your group!

DNDgroupAdmin

Holy shit, I thought people like this were being ironic and dickheads but I never really thought about someone actually having a 4chan worldview. That's pretty sad.

Thrombosis
04-29-2020, 06:25 AM
Really just ripping hard on the orcs that look like they were made for Overwatch, WoW or Fortnite. I erased the rant. Next day #Orcs are trending on twitter with people going on about how racist it is. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y624Z7Bbjbs) Comparing them to real people and what they represent. Then the response to that was "white slowflakes incels upset and feel like their fantasy is being attacked"

I always thought in LOTR that the Scouring of the Shire was a bit ... problematic, what with a load of "strangers" including half-orcs moving to the Shire and basically taking over. It wasn't included in the Peter Jackson films, except as a brief flash forward, I don't think Amazon will include it in their forthcoming adaptation either.

Jimjam
04-29-2020, 07:40 AM
so White & Nerdy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw)

You know we argue with new people here on P99 forums because WoW is their only reference point. Some of them are ok. This isn't WoW though.

So that guy was probably screening you and a bit defensive so he didn't let in some loon that goes about wrecking the place.

I understand his position, I too like my fantasy to be detached from reality and not an in depth philosophical exercise, perhaps with a couple of subtle satirical elements.

But the way he went about it was all wrong. I can see how his approach drags him into all sorts of unwanted political and social arguments.

I got bad vibes so I blocked him so I can move on but hope he enjoys his safe space with likeminded individuals.

Bardp1999
04-29-2020, 08:35 AM
DNDadim is surely a prominent guild leader here on p99, he has all the qualifications from what I can read.

kaev
04-29-2020, 09:08 AM

Mblake81
04-29-2020, 09:25 AM
I understand his position, I too like my fantasy to be detached from reality and not an in depth philosophical exercise, perhaps with a couple of subtle satirical elements.

But the way he went about it was all wrong. I can see how his approach drags him into all sorts of unwanted political and social arguments.

I got bad vibes so I blocked him so I can move on but hope he enjoys his safe space with likeminded individuals.

The fact we call it safe spaces these days hehe, I guess that has always been what they are but its really fey.

Evets
04-29-2020, 09:30 AM
Who would want to roleplay with SJW's? You'd think it's a given

"I'm roleplaying an ANTIFA trans orc mmmkay guys?"

magnetaress
04-29-2020, 09:35 AM
Honestly I feel bad for him. He has created a boogie monster and is walling people off who otherwise would be tolerable. He probably has a gay kid or something and so has to reassure him that the way he was raised in the 70s to be a closet orc is the one true path toward enlightenment.

But I doubt you will get a consistent answer from interacting with him.

The only thing you can do with these kinds of prejudices is just ignore them and prove them wrong in the end. A lot of people get sicker and more paranoid as they die and the pain in their body increases and they just can't keep up with the rest of life. So we get dementia, and what I like to consider, "Karana" or old man disease.

Now - see I want you all to understand my response is an example of how not to help these people. Everything I just said is detrimental to their welfare and would just push said person away. You can't tell them they need to check their gear. They will scream and tell you it's all fine.

magnetaress
04-29-2020, 09:38 AM
Just wait tilll all the trans orcs grow up and go through this stage in their life and demand unsafe spaces where people are forced to interact with them online and you get autoadded to their group by the 'facebook connect' bot...

magnetaress
04-29-2020, 09:39 AM
eh his opinion is valid, but it wouldn't protect him from someone like me joining their group either lol

sorry trippple post, rnf doesn't have edits

thx for makin me think OP

really wish that person felt safer online.

Mblake81
04-29-2020, 09:45 AM
^

I think it has less to do with feeling safe than the realization something has changed and might not return to the thing that interests you. I never had beef with controller guys until I noticed the games were being made for them as a standard after multiplatform consolization took place. Now I have beef.

One thing doesn't continue but changes. The D&D guy is referencing new editions similar to what I do with PC..err multiplatform games.

Halp halp, I need a safe space with a blankie.

magnetaress
04-29-2020, 09:48 AM
yah that makes a lot of sense, also the younger generation who just started out with 5E and never really touched 2E wouldn't get it...

magnetaress
04-29-2020, 09:51 AM
lol, sounds like the guy who got me into EQ a little bit. I heard some table top games got 'the treatment' for inclusion.

I was making fun of it recently on twitter. Orcs needing a shrink (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6XRbwii8WM) Can any of you see Emperor Crush in a commercial? talking about his feelings.

Orc Smash, Orc Kill, Orc make your blood spill!

Crushbone, an Everquest story part 1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxlH_hCxENk), 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IFVG9eWPLM) and 3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivot2yR49VE)

Lol.. pwning. But its gross how the console controller/ mobile generation is with this stuff. So I get what the guy was going for in his messages about the old D&D, JimJam. This is pwning so the old guys need their safe space or else they will snowflake over their precious nerd shit. ;)

true

magnetaress
04-29-2020, 09:52 AM
As a dumb kid, sorry? I use to poke fun at people who missed their LoTR orcs the way they were supposed to be, and ya comparing this stuff to real life is bananas.

magnetaress
04-29-2020, 09:54 AM
Reality is I am a troll. There's trolls online, and they can be really trolly, and sometimes you got to trigger those trolls into trollin? In order to get them outa your guks??? IDK how else to explain it...

I don't think subject of OP was deliberately trying to troll at all from that perspective. Hope he gets a nice group of people who he can forget about all this dumb irl stuff with.

Mblake81
04-29-2020, 09:57 AM
^

I mean, I struggle back and forth with knowing I am an old shit now and grumpy or if my point is valid that the PC has become an upgradeable xbox with Microsoft office.

I guess D&D guy doesn't want his fantasy game getting all mixed up with politics and identities, to the point joking or not that a fantasy race is trending on social media about racism, which could further change the thing that interests him. Some people think its a good thing. Who cares other than the D&D guy that was interested in it.

Then I think, no my point is valid. (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3119458&postcount=55)

Jimjam
04-29-2020, 10:17 AM
I still think you are cool Mblake! Even if I did originally misunderstood your name to mean you were born in '81, not you were 81 years old when you registered your account :o.

Any hobbies I dip in to have the thing you reference; old hats with not just aversion to change, but regression against it - going back to the good old days.

I mean even I am guilty of it; I've just finished painting up a 4th ed Warhammer army. to kids it's objectively terrible and backward, but to me it's better!

As time goes on, and social values continue to shift, we will likely be left at least a little bit behind and become the closed minded and intolerant old folks that we grew up with, slightly ashamed of.

Jimjam
04-29-2020, 10:18 AM
oh and Magnet you're welcome to post as much as you like in any thread I create. You always have interesting points that I wouldn't have considered myself.

magnetaress
04-29-2020, 11:00 AM
I still think you are cool Mblake! Even if I did originally misunderstood your name to mean you were born in '81, not you were 81 years old when you registered your account :o.

This triggured a deep hearty chuckle. Yikes.

https://i.imgur.com/qpgCYAV.gif

[/spoiler]

:eek:

U know, I try to be considerate, but I fail pretty miserably and deserved every single god damned ban I got.

Mblake81
04-29-2020, 11:59 AM

Any hobbies I dip in to have the thing you reference; old hats with not just aversion to change, but regression against it - going back to the good old days.

I mean even I am guilty of it; I've just finished painting up a 4th ed Warhammer army. to kids it's objectively terrible and backward, but to me it's better!

As time goes on, and social values continue to shift, we will likely be left at least a little bit behind and become the closed minded and intolerant old folks that we grew up with, slightly ashamed of.

nearly 40 and talking, ranting and arguing about this stuff makes me feel old as dirt. Favorite PC game though.

magnetaress
04-29-2020, 12:04 PM
I never expected to make it to 40 but this year... I will turn 39, I had to use a calculator to figure that out. I haven't been able to remember how old I am for like the last two years. :(

This is terrifying, more terrifying then ever time I go to sleep at night not expecting to wake up in the morning, only to be surprised as hell.

Evets
04-29-2020, 03:48 PM
lmao that orc looks damn near those never trumpers at their rallies A+... but shoulda thrown a pussy hat on there

Canelek
04-29-2020, 05:09 PM
Sounds like that group admin is Chaotic Stupid.

Guesty07
04-29-2020, 05:44 PM
All of that just to join a DnD group. Whoosh. I think as somebody else already said, you dodged a bullet.

Asteria
04-30-2020, 12:51 AM
DNDadim is surely a prominent guild leader here on p99, he has all the qualifications from what I can read.

:eek::p

LOL, thanks for sharing JJ.

Birds don't talk!

shuklak
04-30-2020, 02:47 AM
You need to reapply at this point.

BlackBellamy
04-30-2020, 08:14 AM
You need to reapply at this point.

Yeah tell him you've been googling stuff in the UK and now you feel you are ready.

DnD storey:

I used to play back in the day, we didn't use sectional dungeon layouts everything was in our heads. So there was a lot of latitude like you weren't sure if the orc was 10 or 12 feet away you just said I'm going after that orc. We had figures but these were just arranged to show marching order - and the GM would whip out his ogre and place it in front of the group to show what we were fighting but we wouldn't be moving our little figures around, it was all just spoken.

I fell out of DnD and started playing wargames, complicated shit where you're moving tons of units on hexes to try to make your perfect breakthrough and encirclement or whatever, but anyway my point is that there is a lot of math and you're always trying to figure out probabilities and adjust them on the fly.

Then me an my buddy get an invite to a DnD group, so it's been a decade at least we're excited to get some nostalgia so we go. This group is playing full tactical mode. Everyone is moving their figures exactly the number of hexes, you're either exactly in range or not, you know the deal. Me and my friend instantly hate it. We can't say "Ok I'm running at the middle guy and I'm going to try to stab him, but if I see his friends move then I'm just going to try to run through them all with a shield bash" because that doesn't work on the table. I have to say I'm moving ahead three, then rolling on the bash table, then moving two more otherwise people get anxious.

We weren't even going to try to convince the group to just play by imagination because everyone was super invested in their diorama/tableau presentation and they were trying real hard to run DnD like fantasy X-COM.

Jimjam
04-30-2020, 08:27 AM
I gotta agree with you, running DnD with floor plans, exact measurements and stuff really detracts from being able to focus your mind on staying in character. That works much better for wargames. My childhood DMs both would also just give us the gist of what was happening. Some of us had models of our characters, just to help us imagine what they were like.

Personally I'd try something like heroquest, warhammerquest or something like that if I wanted a dungeon crawl simulator. They seem better designed with such combat in mind.

That said, I too wouldn't want to discourage these gamers from creating incredible dioramas.

Mblake81
04-30-2020, 08:41 AM
That said, I too wouldn't want to discourage these gamers from creating incredible dioramas.

looks like one of the older PC games I would like to check out. Wonder whats inside that building on the left.. devils, gargoyles..

https://i.imgur.com/GJYTB5B.jpg

Mblake81
04-30-2020, 08:49 AM
Oh, they tricked me again. just a bunch of dancing fortniters in that house. I was blinded by the shiny graphics and clutter everywhere. Must be using Unreal Engine or Unity..

Second thought, it's Devils. Quick send the tank and start nuking!

Jimjam
04-30-2020, 09:01 AM
I'd love to play a game or two of Mordheim on that board!

magnetaress
04-30-2020, 09:36 AM
Yeah tell him you've been googling stuff in the UK and now you feel you are ready.

DnD storey:

I used to play back in the day, we didn't use sectional dungeon layouts everything was in our heads. So there was a lot of latitude like you weren't sure if the orc was 10 or 12 feet away you just said I'm going after that orc. We had figures but these were just arranged to show marching order - and the GM would whip out his ogre and place it in front of the group to show what we were fighting but we wouldn't be moving our little figures around, it was all just spoken.

I fell out of DnD and started playing wargames, complicated shit where you're moving tons of units on hexes to try to make your perfect breakthrough and encirclement or whatever, but anyway my point is that there is a lot of math and you're always trying to figure out probabilities and adjust them on the fly.

Then me an my buddy get an invite to a DnD group, so it's been a decade at least we're excited to get some nostalgia so we go. This group is playing full tactical mode. Everyone is moving their figures exactly the number of hexes, you're either exactly in range or not, you know the deal. Me and my friend instantly hate it. We can't say "Ok I'm running at the middle guy and I'm going to try to stab him, but if I see his friends move then I'm just going to try to run through them all with a shield bash" because that doesn't work on the table. I have to say I'm moving ahead three, then rolling on the bash table, then moving two more otherwise people get anxious.

We weren't even going to try to convince the group to just play by imagination because everyone was super invested in their diorama/tableau presentation and they were trying real hard to run DnD like fantasy X-COM.

yup

i never played dnd with any kind of measurements, we just made up #s and posititioning on the fly to make the story seem unique, sometimes our DM was pretty mean and would get us in trouble, but then someone would have a character with maximum tumble skill and they would just tumble around everywhere all the time. or w/e

Sibelia1
04-30-2020, 04:55 PM
ive never played dnd in my life, we are talking THAT level of isolation as a youth. can I have some money in my patreon.

magnetaress
04-30-2020, 04:57 PM
ive never played dnd in my life, we are talking THAT level of isolation as a youth. can I have some money in my patreon.

I was going to say ***

*you already did... though ;) :cool: