PDA

View Full Version : The Classic Experience - Death to Recharging

Nirgon
04-26-2020, 09:46 PM
Let me start off with, I'm glad this happened. This recharging crap was less common than boxing even, probably to the point it never even went on at all for most of the timeline. Once discovered, it was quickly removed. Few things were more immersion breaking than the first time I saw Venril Sathir reaper of the dead tanked on blue, or the masses of people recharging items after repops every week.

So, I see this as a great victory for recreating the classic experience.

However, ruining clickies isn't in the spirit of the game. I think recharging should be completely disabled, except when it is enabled for a while between the end of Kunark and whenever it was fixed by the staff. THAT would emulate the classic experience.

They said they'd be keeping things open to review and in the classic spirit of the game. So they should know that farming consumables to use is classic. I hope they bring back some of the big play items to their previous versions and killing all recharging for good.

Enjoy playing some closer to the classic experience of EverQuest until then.

-DN
(dictated by not read)

fan D
04-27-2020, 12:13 AM
alright good stuff

Mikebro
04-27-2020, 12:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_j5tDuakKU

Baler
04-27-2020, 01:38 AM
Anything that makes the staff lives easier & Player lives harder is deemed classic.

jolanar
04-27-2020, 08:34 AM
Anything that makes the staff lives easier & Player lives harder is deemed classic.

Ya when it comes to lowering the amount of petitions, they don't really give a shit if something is classic or not.

Natewest1987
04-27-2020, 09:07 AM
I’m confused. You’re against it but you’re for it?

magnetaress
04-27-2020, 10:09 AM
boring old man thread but OP is right ish

in rebuttle...

you really expect the robots without brains and free will to be able to avert their basic prime source code and not play like angry little back door babies?

this place should be treated as a class 1 penal colony and people definitely need to seek help - especially in regards to cheesing the mechanics for the sole reason of 'denying' friendship to everyone but their "totally pc in game" bank accounts

Mblake81
04-27-2020, 10:35 AM
https://i.imgur.com/sZ95Egp.png

Ya when it comes to lowering the amount of petitions, they don't really give a shit if something is classic or not.

https://i.imgur.com/vSRMMPX.jpg

Unroot dragons
Anything goes rules in raid zones
Petitions for raiding result in automatic temp ban.

https://i.imgur.com/3CJL5Qz.png?1

*Grats to the people who got their pixels in the last few months. Hold on to your butts.

magnetaress
04-27-2020, 11:00 AM
https://i.imgur.com/T7yRjKE.gif

cd288
04-27-2020, 10:37 PM
Huge A+ for them doing this nerf

kauvian
04-27-2020, 10:51 PM
We need to have a Purge night, anything goes and they flag all characters RED!

GreenTMZ
04-28-2020, 02:58 AM
Nerf it all.

magnetaress
04-28-2020, 06:32 AM

magnetaress
04-28-2020, 06:34 AM

Perma death night + every one flagged red and then a quake so these nerds are forced to log in and play.

Domo
04-28-2020, 08:23 AM
everyone is kind of done with this topic...but some bored forum warriors still trying hard to get as much attention as possible.

Yo, go play Animal Crossing if ya bored.

magnetaress
04-28-2020, 08:29 AM
Crossn animals is how you get covid.

Domo
04-28-2020, 08:32 AM
nope, its most of the part stupidity.

magnetaress
04-28-2020, 08:45 AM
nope, its most of the part stupidity.

Seems too hard lol.

kaev
04-28-2020, 10:11 AM
Let me start off with, I'm glad this happened. This recharging crap was less common than boxing even, probably to the point it never even went on at all for most of the timeline. Once discovered, it was quickly removed...

That's pretty revisionist. Raid guilds were recharging stuff in Velious, not as over-the-top as p99, but significant. So significant that they put out a producer letter about it (think was late in velious) saying they were NOT going to nerf it immediately but were instead going to first make it less important via future itemization and then nerf it, which is exactly what they did.

So p99 Blue is about 7 or 8 years late nerfing recharging and the farmers and raiders have ruined their own lands with the insanity that was happening on Green.

magnetaress
04-28-2020, 10:27 AM
P99.89 will never receive future content. Unless you are willing to moon at.

Mblake81
04-28-2020, 10:34 AM
That's pretty revisionist. Raid guilds were recharging stuff in Velious, not as over-the-top as p99, but significant.

so significant that a non-raider would have known about it? considering, at least on Bristlebane, that would have consisted of 3 guilds probably. I never knew about it in era. Didn't read any forum posts or hear about it in game from other players.

I think that is the point Nirgon is trying to make. I knew about boxing, had a roommate that boxed a cleric & rogue. Never knew about recharging. Boxing was not common due to costs.

loramin
04-28-2020, 10:42 AM
so significant that a non-raider would have known about it? considering, at least on Bristlebane, that would have consisted of 3 guilds probably. I never knew about it in era. Didn't read any forum posts or hear about it in game from other players.

I think that is the point Nirgon is trying to make. I knew about boxing, had a roommate that boxed a cleric & rogue. Never knew about recharging. Boxing was not common due to costs.

Non-raider from Bristlebane here: I knew about it, in Velious ... because I was an obsessive EQ-site-reader, and it was mentioned on some of them. I didn't actually know how to do it, because I didn't have anything in need of recharging and so never bothered to learn ... but I at least knew "recharging was a thing".

But of course, playing the "did you remember X in classic?" game is always futile: this place relies on evidence, and it's impossible to prove one way or the other exactly how common any bit of "secret" knowledge was back in the day.

But also ... I don't think classicness even matters here anymore. Well that's not true of course, but what I mean is that it's not developer directive #1 anymore. "Fixing exploits" has come to trump classicness here, so ultimately the question of whether recharging ever gets nerfed comes down to whether R&N ever decide to categorize it as an exploit.

Mblake81
04-28-2020, 11:00 AM
But also ... I don't think classicness even matters here anymore. Well that's not true of course, but what I mean is that it's not developer directive #1 anymore. "Fixing exploits" has come to trump classicness here, so ultimately the question of whether recharging ever gets nerfed comes down to whether R&N ever decide to categorize it as an exploit.

So remove all the changes to address exploits, you have complained (or appeared to have complained) about them changing their focus. People seem to want the game as it was.

Adapt to the new ways.

loramin
04-28-2020, 11:07 AM
So remove all the changes to address exploits, you have complained (or appeared to have complained) about them changing their focus. People seem to want the game as it was.

Adapt to the new ways.

I wasn't complaining, but it is a fact: the staff used to prioritize "classic" over fixing all but the most extreme "exploits". With Green, the pendulum really has started swinging the other direction, and we're seeing a lot more "exploit fixes".

Again, I personally don't view that as good or bad ... although like anyone I have my pet issues (eg. I remember glitching through SG well into PoP, or at the very least late Luclin, so not being able to do so here has always seemed a horribly unclassic non-exploit fix to me ... but of course I see how they can view it otherwise).

Sethius Marlowe
04-28-2020, 11:10 AM
It's hard to emulate a classic experience when we've changed so much. We know all the content and tricks and min maxing, we know how to push everything to the limit. We aren't running on dial up modems and getting knocked offline because someone called your house. We aren't brand new to the internet and figuring out how to search for information about how to answer any problem you have.

Basically, if you want to be classic, you want to just kind of retard yourself and hobble yourself. Which won't ever happen because you can't unknow what you already know.

So, thanks for the changes. Make as much as you can to make it kind of a shitty but fun experience. I dunno. I'm totally okay with a simulated classic i.e. "how do we make it the same nonsense in today's world."

like what's the equivalent of a 56k modem? and parental controls and america online?

I dunno. Figure those out, and do them, and cool beans yall.

Also, Hey Nirgon! How ya doin!

Mblake81
04-28-2020, 11:19 AM
I wasn't complaining, but it is a fact: the staff used to prioritize "classic" over fixing all but the most extreme "exploits". With Green, the pendulum really has started swinging the other direction, and we're seeing a lot more "exploit fixes".

Again, I personally don't view that as good or bad ... although like anyone I have my pet issues (eg. I remember glitching through SG well into PoP, or at the very least late Luclin, so not being able to do so here has always seemed a horribly unclassic non-exploit fix to me ... but of course I see how they can view it otherwise).

All I can say is the usual yabba dabba doo. Did you just want to be seen and heard? There is a sense of loss here, would it be preferable if they were still focused on classic on and exploits or what is perceived as exploits?

You say you don't see it as good or bad, not sure if I buy that.

Mblake81
04-28-2020, 11:29 AM
It's hard to emulate a classic experience when we've changed so much. We know all the content and tricks and min maxing, we know how to push everything to the limit. We aren't running on dial up modems and getting knocked offline because someone called your house. We aren't brand new to the internet and figuring out how to search for information about how to answer any problem you have.

Basically, if you want to be classic, you want to just kind of retard yourself and hobble yourself. Which won't ever happen because you can't unknow what you already know.

So, thanks for the changes. Make as much as you can to make it kind of a shitty but fun experience. I dunno. I'm totally okay with a simulated classic i.e. "how do we make it the same nonsense in today's world."

like what's the equivalent of a 56k modem? and parental controls and america online?

I dunno. Figure those out, and do them, and cool beans yall.

Also, Hey Nirgon! How ya doin!

That is the old argument that was used to justify the initial changes. The classic experience is not wanted exactly and tbh can never be recreated. It's just the classic game, as it was.

The GMs did address players in era but people see it as only what was addressed in era. What had changed since doesn't factor.

"I want the car restored but not exact, like they came from the factory with some rust on their tailpipes. I don't need that for it to be classic"

It has turned into all around un-classicness to address the players. Maybe they don't need addressing at all now and we should just be happy anyone plays a 20 year old MMORPG.

Baler
04-28-2020, 11:44 AM
Druid ports are being used far too much and don't reflect the classic era of 1999-2001.
Druids will no longer be able to port.

Sethius Marlowe
04-28-2020, 12:24 PM
You don't decide what is wanted!

loramin
04-28-2020, 12:33 PM
All I can say is the usual yabba dabba doo. Did you just want to be seen and heard?

Why does anyone post on a twenty-plus year old elf sim forum?

There is a sense of loss here, would it be preferable if they were still focused on classic on and exploits or what is perceived as exploits?

You say you don't see it as good or bad, not sure if I buy that.

The staff has always been about classic EverQuest: that hasn't changed, so there is nothing to mourn. The only thing that has changed is that their specific path to achieving classic EQ: that path has always involved a mix of classic and unclassic mechanics ... but now it veers slightly further away from classic mechanics.

So to answer your question, no: it truly does not bother me that the staff is working hard to re-create classic EQ here. Why should I care that this place went from 98% classic mechanics to 97.5% ... when it feels more classic overall, and it was never 100% in the first place?

Does that mean I <3 every exploit fix? Of course not: as I said, the SG glitch nerf has felt wrong to me ever since Velious was released, and I suspect it will always feel wrong. If we're going to let people bind in TD, I personally feel there should be a period of time where you can glitch through SG on Green.

But would I rather have a server where the straff prioritizes classic mechanics over everything else? God no! That's how we got single bards monopolizing Overthere, and AoE groups monopolizing Chardok, two things that no one alive remembers on live servers in 1999-2001 ... because it never happened.

I want the game from '99-'01 ... don't you?

Mblake81
04-28-2020, 12:35 PM
You don't decide what is wanted!

Do you often put yourself in the shoes of your opposition to voice their position?

Mblake81
04-28-2020, 12:39 PM
Why does anyone post on a twenty-plus year old elf sim forum?

Fair enough.

The staff has always been about classic EverQuest: that hasn't changed, so there is nothing to mourn. The only thing that has changed is that their specific path to achieving classic EQ: that path has always involved a mix of classic and unclassic mechanics ... but now it veers slightly further away from classic mechanics.

So to answer your question, no: it truly does not bother me that the staff is working hard to re-create classic EQ here. Why should I care that this place went from 98% classic mechanics to 97.5% ... when it feels more classic overall, and it was never 100% in the first place?

Does that mean I <3 every exploit fix? Of course not: as I said, the SG glitch nerf has felt wrong to me ever since Velious was released, and I suspect it will always feel wrong. If we're going to let people bind in TD, I personally feel there should be a period of time where you can glitch through SG on Green.

But would I rather have a server where the straff prioritizes classic mechanics over everything else? God no! That's how we got single bards monopolizing Overthere, and AoE groups monopolizing Chardok, two things that no one alive remembers on live servers in 1999-2001 ... because it never happened.

I want the game from '99-'01 ... don't you?

Is this double think?

is that you John Wayne, is this me?

magnetaress
04-28-2020, 12:50 PM
I really wish I could dev. I literally have the time on my hands but totally lack the ability to network and code and draw textures.

I would make elf heaven for you all in the vein of 1999.

RIP elf friends. RIP.

https://i.imgur.com/fOU7QDK.gif

aaezil
04-28-2020, 01:19 PM
Its not the classic game though. When i played velious there was no yellow text when you aggrod a dragon and city leaders/tov was rotated between the two top guilds.

Sorry you’re not getting classic

Nirgon
04-28-2020, 01:20 PM
is anyone even doing Chardok now without aoe groups

Mblake81
04-28-2020, 01:42 PM
is anyone even doing Chardok now without aoe groups

Occasionally. Like Cazic Thule its more of a 'bring your own party' dungeon. No one sitting at the zone in LFG.

Nirgon
04-28-2020, 01:54 PM
yeah what a hugely necessary change for people "to be able to experience Chardok"

radda
04-28-2020, 01:57 PM
as much i as i miss my warrior here..

takproject has insta clicks
come on over

Mblake81
04-28-2020, 02:55 PM
as much i as i miss my warrior here..

takproject has insta clicks
come on over

Pass.

magnetaress
04-28-2020, 02:59 PM
Buttttt moooooncats.

Still interested in takp. It's the purest EQ aside from 99 and live and the community over on takp is actually like fun to interact with surprisingly.

radda
04-28-2020, 04:04 PM
man, it's great to have scheduled raids again,
i mean i miss p99, dont get me wrong.
but when your friends are gone.. i mean this works for me.
sorry Mblake81 , we wouldnt want you anyways.

Sibelia1
04-28-2020, 07:14 PM
takp is really cool :)

nice taste my dear. it make me extra sorry u have a bad taste of me :(

Lammy
04-29-2020, 09:12 AM
I really wish I could dev. I literally have the time on my hands but totally lack the ability to network and code and draw textures.

I would make elf heaven for you all in the vein of 1999.

RIP elf friends. RIP.

https://i.imgur.com/fOU7QDK.gif

So basically you're unemployed with no skills of value? LOL

magnetaress
04-29-2020, 10:50 PM
So basically you're unemployed with no skills of value? LOL

There's sooo many jokes here.. They are all in-ah-pro-pre-aht. Self depricating. And cries for help.

Does it make you feel any better that I even failed at ending it? Like. I totally screwed it up.

Going to keep playing EQ until I feel better. I got 99 problems and this game ain't one of em right now.

I have some pretty 1337 skills. They are also really very in-ah-pro-pre-aht, and one of the reasons I got a nice pension. Doubt you would be able to really appreciate them though. :cool: