PDA

View Full Version : Port prices

whiskey
04-14-2020, 03:44 PM
So fo ra new player on p99 with not much money at all, what is an acceptable port cost? What are the players paying for ports these days?

Thanks
Whiskey

Broor
04-14-2020, 03:47 PM
General sentiment is 1p per level, but as a 38 druid just tell me you're new and I'll take you for free-

Videri
04-14-2020, 04:00 PM
My suggestion: take one port (tipping if you can) and make the most of it. Gallivanting across Norrath via ports is for the rich.

Indecisive
04-14-2020, 09:07 PM
General sentiment is 1p per level, but as a 38 druid just tell me you're new and I'll take you for free-

Porting as a DAP Druid on Blue has jaded me to this. I've seen a lot of cheap, conniving bastards take off their gear to try and swindle me by asking for a CR, or claim they're new for a discounted price.

Personally, if I can't give the porter at least 1p per level, I'll just take the boat. And if they have to port somewhere to pick me up first, I throw in some extra plat on top.

Vizax_Xaziv
04-14-2020, 09:51 PM
Porting as a DAP Druid on Blue has jaded me to this. I've seen a lot of cheap, conniving bastards take off their gear to try and swindle me by asking for a CR, or claim they're new for a discounted price.

Personally, if I can't give the porter at least 1p per level, I'll just take the boat. And if they have to port somewhere to pick me up first, I throw in some extra plat on top.
Problem is that mid20s range - especially for melee classes. Mobs still don't drop much coin loot and 25pp for a port can be significant. 50p for a level 50 is double the amount but far less significant in terms of a players total bankroll
I've been paying 5gp/level on my Shaman (36th level) and always meet my Porter at the rings and don't keep them waiting
I think that's a fare fee for the service rendered.

Kavious
04-14-2020, 10:08 PM
Just communicate ahead of time. When asking for a port, also include how much you can pay.

You cant upset/disappoint your porter if they know how much they will get if they accept

Picked
04-14-2020, 11:36 PM
Just communicate ahead of time. When asking for a port, also include how much you can pay.

You cant upset/disappoint your porter if they know how much they will get if they accept

This, say how much you are donating. Most people will do it anyways. It's just nice knowing up front. I try to port if I'm not busy with a camp or doing something important. I usually don't care what anyone tips. It's the thought that counts. If someone can only afford 5pp then I'm fine with that.

I don't really adhere to a pp per level guideline, although that's probably not a bad way to look at it. Sometimes I get 50pp sometimes I get 5 or 10pp. It all adds up and it's just mana and a little bit of time.

Tip what you can, depending on the circumstance. If the porter has to run to you and port you somewhere I would tip a little more. But if you're waiting at the rings/spires it's a lot more convenient.

I had a guy decked out in what looked like silver plate, with a yak and I had to run across WK to pick him up, port him to CT and see invis/invis him, guide him out of CT so he could get to the Feerrott and he gave me 5pp. Needless to say I wont port this person again.

So don't stiff someone who has to go out of their way, but don't break your bank trying to get across Norrath.

Swish
04-14-2020, 11:53 PM
As a porter on blue in the past, if you do want a free port to wherever - do the druid/wizard the honor of being at the rings/spires when you ask.

I've had people ask for a CR port from hard to reach locations, it's not that I don't want to run across West Karana...but it takes time ;)

Cen
04-15-2020, 01:00 AM
My tips for ports as an older blue DAP, and since I don't play blue anymore ill be brutal:

Anyone paying or getting a complimentary port, don't lie to me, and be where you need to be for pickup. Do not make me run any distance to you unless you tell me what it is, and if it is anything that isn't 0 feet, you will pay for it unless you beg and plead with me or flirt with me enough. Remember the more you make me feel special, the more likely I am to port you for free and give you a happy ending too. As a Wizard, you will respect that ports are not a druid only thing, and you will tell me how much better the Wizard port in spots are. You will consider SoW to be overrated and a crutch. All of these things drop the price. If you need a port to go to an orgy that will always be free, and ill even pay you if I get to come. If you need a pickup at Qeynos or Everfrost I get your soul. You will ask me for ports to CT and not Feerrott, and if you are waiting at the Druid rings in Dreadlands instead of the Wizard spires on a pickup you get perma blocked.

zaneosak
04-15-2020, 09:01 AM
I am in Dial a Port and have multiple 50s. I usually give 25-50p for my ports on almost all my of toons. Sometimes more if its a dial a port brethren.

I don't really get bent out of shape for anything less than 10p unless its some super lowbie. Prices have normalized to the 15-30p range these days from my experience. When Green first started and people were broke, it was not uncommon to get 2-5p from people < lvl 30.

Baler
04-15-2020, 09:10 AM
1p per level, ports are a luxury.
Be at the ring/spire or communicate with the porter how long till you till be at the ring/spire.

Specialty ports 100p+.. pickups, moving multiple people, transfers, etc. Not your run of the mill daily port.

Free ports... if you really need one just ask the porter. The worst you can get is a no.

Jimjam
04-15-2020, 09:18 AM
How thirsty for plat does a porter need to be to do anything other than collect fares from landing points?

BlackBellamy
04-15-2020, 09:53 AM
How thirsty for plat does a porter need to be to do anything other than collect fares from landing points?

That's just something to do during slow times. It doesn't really get you extra plat per hour. The guys who take ports frequently and tip well know the drill.

magnetaress
04-15-2020, 10:33 AM
If i really need a port and I am poor i just run to a ring or spire and wait and stick my thumb out.

Once I am looting gems and dots, my bags are full of all kinds of goodies and instead of sticking my thumb out I offer the goods.

1p per level is pretty darn fair. It is very easy to get 50p by lvl 50 and it makes the druid/wizard very happy ) most don't want to sit around porting all day to buy their spells.

Philistine
04-15-2020, 01:05 PM
I've always wondered what a normal donation was. 1pp per level is a nice guide. Thanks folks!

Canelek
04-15-2020, 01:33 PM
As a new player, ports should be the least of your concerns. Enjoy the game and run around. Take the boats. It is a big part of the experience and many folks tend to forget that. If 30-50p seems too steep, then you are probably needing to focus your efforts elsewhere anyways.

aspomwell
04-15-2020, 02:18 PM
I had a guy decked out in what looked like silver plate, with a yak and I had to run across WK to pick him up, port him to CT and see invis/invis him, guide him out of CT so he could get to the Feerrott and he gave me 5pp. Needless to say I wont port this person again.

How do you think he could afford that stuff?

"I didn't get rich by writing a lot of checks!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H27rfr59RiE