PDA

View Full Version : How I believe most camps were intended to work!

magnetaress
04-14-2020, 10:14 AM
Granted there are some solo camps like hadden, recfek, and the hermit(s).

However, there are also a lot of harder camps with more group dynamics. I believe the idea was that everyone would fill up their groups to 6 players, and the share the drop rates, people wouldn't all try to claim camps solo. The more group with more players was always favored by the GMs on Bertoxxulous. So more players == more loot rights == more chance for loot.

Granted its a douche move to role into a camp and expect to join a group, but places like Lord in guk. Frenzy. Royals. Firegiants. Highpass orcs etc were never intended to be 'solo camps'. These were always intended to be grouping spots where even people at higher lvl then the camp would 'party it up' and socialize while waiting for drops.

Real mature adults use to be able to party hard, and would willingly spend days sharing a camp with their online friends. This is the original way.

Now this is 2020 and I do not bemone enchanters and necros bringing the prices down on FBSS's and SSBs or earings of magic reflexion, but I believe as a community we have lost a lil touch with ourselves expecting and believing we are entitled to hold all these camps solo on our velious geared BIS toons. And by doing so we hurt the community, and by hurting the community we hurt the devs and Rogean, and Brad, and in turn the game, and ourselves.

Just food for thought. Consider this a very HARD suggestion, not a demand to comply with my beliefs and feelings, I feel however left unsaid, it is a crime against decency and grace.

magnetaress
04-14-2020, 10:17 AM
P.S. this rumination was not spurned by anger at a lack of pixels, just a Vision(TM) of what I believe a beautiful EQ future will be. And a desire to share my feelings with other said MATURE, and GRACEFUL, ADULTS.

*(tm)

Jungleberry
04-14-2020, 10:50 AM
Population is high when every camp is a solo camp and nobody groups.

magnetaress
04-14-2020, 11:00 AM
Population is high when every camp is a solo camp and nobody groups.

Eh i just think 90% of us mained necros, I did on red. on blue/green i have no mains, but play much less solo friendly classes. That said I have practically only solo'd on both servers. I havent grouped in years... last group I had was on red, and it was a swell group but I felt bad every time i had to afk

So I want to say I respect everyones play style and understand it, I just think people are a lil confused as to what the deal is with all the friction they experience in their lives.

Also, it's harder to experience said friction when we enlighten ourselves.

magnetaress
04-14-2020, 11:00 AM
well i put my necro to alt, red main is now wiz after farming gear and plat on necro, but the point still stands

Evia
04-14-2020, 03:38 PM
but I believe as a community we have lost a lil touch with ourselves expecting and believing we are entitled to hold all these camps solo on our velious geared BIS toons. And by doing so we hurt the community, and by hurting the community we hurt the devs and Rogean, and Brad, and in turn the game, and ourselves.

Evia
04-14-2020, 03:40 PM
^^^hitting pretty close to home there.

Arvan
04-14-2020, 03:59 PM
Well i believe certain classes were designed with soloing in mind so no, not really at all that.

cd288
04-14-2020, 04:31 PM
Eh i just think 90% of us mained necros, I did on red. on blue/green i have no mains, but play much less solo friendly classes. That said I have practically only solo'd on both servers. I havent grouped in years... last group I had was on red, and it was a swell group but I felt bad every time i had to afk

So I want to say I respect everyones play style and understand it, I just think people are a lil confused as to what the deal is with all the friction they experience in their lives.

Also, it's harder to experience said friction when we enlighten ourselves.

Tells everyone they need to group and then says he never groups and hasn’t in years. Interesting

magnetaress
04-14-2020, 05:15 PM
Tells everyone they need to group and then says he never groups and hasn’t in years. Interesting

I didn't say to group. Were did I say that. Please quote me saying "Everyone group" I didn't even really imply that. I was talking very passively about the design of the game and the way the community plays said game. I didn't tell anyone to do anything.

And if I did, or it seemed implied. I am sorry. I'm sorry for telling you what to do.

https://i.imgur.com/znsl0aJ.gif

cd288
04-14-2020, 06:23 PM
I didn't say to group. Were did I say that. Please quote me saying "Everyone group" I didn't even really imply that. I was talking very passively about the design of the game and the way the community plays said game. I didn't tell anyone to do anything.

And if I did, or it seemed implied. I am sorry. I'm sorry for telling you what to do.

https://i.imgur.com/znsl0aJ.gif

I’m not sure how your post would not be taken to imply it. You’re bemoaning how people are playing the game today (solo) and talking about how back in the day everyone used to group and chill out, and saying by not playing how we were back in the day were doing everything a disservice.

magnetaress
04-14-2020, 07:54 PM
I’m not sure how your post would not be taken to imply it. You’re bemoaning how people are playing the game today (solo) and talking about how back in the day everyone used to group and chill out, and saying by not playing how we were back in the day were doing everything a disservice.

I never once said people shouldn't solo or that it is a horrible way to play. I even said I understand why people solo, as I solo a lot.

Bemoaning is a VERY strong word to be puttin in my mouth sir. :(

enjchanter
04-16-2020, 09:48 AM
I dont group because I literally dont need your help

All loot is mine

Droxx
04-16-2020, 10:22 AM
And by doing so we hurt the community, and by hurting the community we hurt the devs and Rogean, and Brad, and in turn the game, and ourselves.

Why does everyone think this is Rogean's project?

Poor Nilbog.

magnetaress
04-16-2020, 11:16 AM
Why does everyone think this is Rogean's project?

Poor Nilbog.

Nilbog does not have a cute uwu avatar?

BlackBellamy
04-16-2020, 02:29 PM
I'm sure when they designed the game they were like and the group is going to fight their way through from the zoneline and reach the Frenzy room and be rewarded for their effort and skill by this great treasure and we will put it deep inside so it's hard to get to and there will be wandering monsters so everyone will have to be careful.

When you get there it's some afk guy and there's not a frog in sight.

magnetaress
04-16-2020, 03:56 PM
I'm sure when they designed the game they were like and the group is going to fight their way through from the zoneline and reach the Frenzy room and be rewarded for their effort and skill by this great treasure and we will put it deep inside so it's hard to get to and there will be wandering monsters so everyone will have to be careful.

When you get there it's some afk guy and there's not a frog in sight.

An elf named neo with minor illusion cast in the back of the room....

magnetaress
04-16-2020, 04:14 PM
That said, there are a ton of great camps on the way, Scryer, Ass, Sup, cav, executioner, sage, (though slightly off the beaten path). etc...

magnetaress
04-16-2020, 04:14 PM
So if someone gets there and the room is empty they can always settle back into one of the previous spots, or skip ahead to AM.

Evia
04-16-2020, 08:03 PM
This is why guk is such a well designed dungeon.

BlackBellamy
04-17-2020, 04:48 PM
Two things that completely and utterly destroyed THE VISION:

Invisibility. That one mechanic turned this entire game into a static campfest. You invis up, you get to your room where the guys you talked to before are and you sit there and make conversation how are you pulling I don't know how am I pulling oh who is pulling right now hey wake up cleric also afk bio. If you ran some city where people could be invisible and at the same time you could detect that invisibility wouldn't every single one of your guards be fucking downing six packs of see invisible all day? How do you run your giant dungeon like that?

Chat. How the fuck am I talking to the other guy on the other side of the world? I'm talking to him on some magic elf telephone? Oh we need a cleric let me magically call around the entire world and he will come here in ten minutes oh now we have a list of people this is great. Do I hold my fingers to my temples and concentrate when I do that? Does my entire group look like fucking idiots if someone comes by while we're all doing our little tells and replies and we're fucking sitting around squinting and holding our fingers to our heads?

Remove any invis or hiding or lulling or sneaking bullshit. Get rid of all chat channels but /say. Restore the fucking vision!

Bardp1999
04-17-2020, 06:51 PM
OP is mad that other elfs don't want him in their elf groups

turbosilk
04-17-2020, 09:24 PM
Granted there are some solo camps like hadden, recfek, and the hermit(s).

However, there are also a lot of harder camps with more group dynamics. I believe the idea was that everyone would fill up their groups to 6 players, and the share the drop rates, people wouldn't all try to claim camps solo. The more group with more players was always favored by the GMs on Bertoxxulous. So more players == more loot rights == more chance for loot.

Granted its a douche move to role into a camp and expect to join a group, but places like Lord in guk. Frenzy. Royals. Firegiants. Highpass orcs etc were never intended to be 'solo camps'. These were always intended to be grouping spots where even people at higher lvl then the camp would 'party it up' and socialize while waiting for drops.

Real mature adults use to be able to party hard, and would willingly spend days sharing a camp with their online friends. This is the original way.

Now this is 2020 and I do not bemone enchanters and necros bringing the prices down on FBSS's and SSBs or earings of magic reflexion, but I believe as a community we have lost a lil touch with ourselves expecting and believing we are entitled to hold all these camps solo on our velious geared BIS toons. And by doing so we hurt the community, and by hurting the community we hurt the devs and Rogean, and Brad, and in turn the game, and ourselves.

Just food for thought. Consider this a very HARD suggestion, not a demand to comply with my beliefs and feelings, I feel however left unsaid, it is a crime against decency and grace.

I agree. Group up.

Canelek
04-17-2020, 10:49 PM
Grouping is great, and super fun for the most part. However, many of us are in a different place in life at this point so solo is more practical. There is no right or wrong in it. As for me. I mostly play solo and join raids when I can (casual raider--not "raider" status).

This is one reason I usually roll a rogue so I kind of force myself to be more social in-game, aside from my usual friends and guildies I enjoy bullshitting with. :)

Ultimately, you dictate how you will play, and how you will be perceived by others. Have fun, don't let the game become tedious and tiresome, don't be an asshole to others, and, most importantly, do not let a game interfere with your goals as a person.

Cheers!

magnetaress
04-17-2020, 11:11 PM
Right now I just kinda hang around the edges of groups in the shadows leaching faction hits...