PDA

View Full Version : The easiest and simplest class to play?

pivo
04-14-2020, 09:35 AM
I will play mostly solo. Very slow inexperienced player, less button I need to click, better. :D

Would Magician fit the role? Which pet, water? Or any other class?

Also is there somewhere link to FAQ?

Any Linux player here? What did you use for setup, Lutris?

magnetaress
04-14-2020, 12:23 PM
Fast > Necro can basically use pet and lifetap and self mana lich to get to 40, then it gets more complicated.

Slow but simple, Mage, but they actually have some depth. It will take forever to level a mage or wizard if you don't learn the tricks and jump through some of the quest item clicky hoops and get gud. Same with wizard, wizards are hard if you are not a very patient conservative player.

Monk? IDK

Shm, u can play them like a wizard. Druids can be played like wizards. Just root, snare, kite in open zones.

I imagine your question should be were can you level that allows for a simple playsstyle, mostly outdoor zones, and druids and shamans excell at that. Pet management can be annoying.

As a druid you have the option of charming outdoor mobs which adds a little complexity but isn't neccissary and sometimes hinders if the mobs are dying relatively quickly.

Druids can hunt pretty safely in SK, Everfrost for a big chunk of the game getting 20-40 fairly easy without a ton of effort, track makes finding mobs easy and less of a hassle.

On a wiz or druid, you don't have to quad, quadding is complex, it just cuts leveling time by a factor of 4 which is a big deal to some people.

The big benifit of mage is you will be able to solo farm mobs under lvl 40 with easy and not much effort once you get there, you can easily use that mage to do quests or get gear, most people do this for other characters.

Cen
04-14-2020, 12:24 PM
Magician, Wizard, and Rogue are the simplest classes. Magicians and Wizards can solo well.

loramin
04-14-2020, 12:27 PM
Magician, Wizard, and Rogue are the simplest classes. Magicians and Wizards can solo well.

magnetaress
04-14-2020, 12:49 PM
The easiest and simplest class (and this is not a dig at OP) I belive wiz is the basicly best answer... the easiest class is begger

1. roll any character
2. bank gear
3. ....
4. click beg on any npc
5. profit

*4a. pick a newbie zone
*4b. run back after dying and loot your coins
*4c. beg from lvl 1 mobs and run to guards for assistance

you can afk at all lvl 1 newbie guards, you will probaby make 1 plat per hour diong this, you dont have to be at the computer full time and can safely afk near newbie guards for extended periods of time, eventually before you know it you will have 100kplat and be able to buy a power lvl to 50

ldgo86
04-14-2020, 01:14 PM
Druid is a really good choice because it’s not exactly the easiest, with the least amount of clicks, but introduces you to a lot of different techniques as you progress. You can group if you want, or just go solo. But later on at higher levels you will likely have to solo.

loramin
04-14-2020, 01:14 PM
The easiest and simplest class (and this is not a dig at OP) I belive wiz is the basicly best answer... the easiest class is begger

1. roll any character
2. bank gear
3. ....
4. click beg on any npc
5. profit

*4a. pick a newbie zone

you can afk at all lvl 1 newbie guards, you will probaby make 1 plat per hour diong this, you dont have to be at the computer full time and can safely afk near newbie guards for extended periods of time, eventually before you know it you will have 100kplat and be able to buy a power lvl to 50

Magnetaress normally your crazy ramblings just make me shake my head, but this "advice" truly made me :D

magnetaress
04-14-2020, 01:50 PM
Magnetaress normally your crazy ramblings just make me shake my head, but this "advice" truly made me :D

https://i.imgur.com/aoSvJHe.png

Baler
04-14-2020, 02:02 PM
If you don't mind grouping. Rogue is hands down the most mindless class to play. And I love it for that reason. So long as you're not dragging corpses...

You hit 1-3 buttons max
Attack
Backstab
Evade (paineel era)

Outside of that thrilling action you may be called upon to pick a door lock
1-2 clicks with a lock pick

And aformentioned the most intense part of playing a rogue is dragging corpses
Past lots of mean nasty monsters, hitting your /corpse hotkey

The cherry on top is Hide/Sneak as a rogue!
You can afk while these are active any place mobs won't path directly into you or see hide.

magnetaress
04-14-2020, 02:05 PM
https://i.imgur.com/eWdkpb0.png

treefiddey
04-14-2020, 02:09 PM
My first and main character was a Wiz back in 2000.

A Wiz is pretty straightforward to play with regard to the mechanics - snare and nuke.

But it can be a difficult overall game experience. You can go everywhere, but you're not really wanted anywhere.

(Until you make some good friends. <3 Mystis)

pivo
04-14-2020, 02:18 PM
Thank you for all your answers, still digesting them, didn't understand everything, nothing new i n my case ;-)

For now, I'm battling, how to install EQ99 on Linux. After 4-5 hours and two different Linux distros (MX & Manjaro) still no success. For now I'm giving up, will later try on Mint. I found Linux guide thread here on this forums, but for now it is not working for me.

Of all your suggestions, seems like Wizard may be the simplest, easier, best fit for me? Not looking to power level. I will slowly level and try to enjoy the game. I typically don't play end of game content, raiding... I'm just too bad player for this, Also, not much time for playing...

Izmael
04-14-2020, 02:57 PM
Simplest AND easiest has to be Monk.
- Very few keys to click. Autoattack, Mend, Kick, Feign Death (FD). You can just know these 4 and be just fine. You'll need to learn how /assist works eventually but that can wait until you're 20+

- High survivability - you can FD and dodge 99% of dangerous situations. As soon as you learn the main stuff about FD, you'll almost never die until you get to the highest levels.

The main FD stuff is:
- For FD to work, you must turn autoattack off first, if you're autoattacking
- FD can fail, and you get "XX falls on the ground" message.
- A mob hitting you with a spell will break your successful FD. This includes AE spells and spells the mob started casting before you FD'd.

Mend is a self-heal ability. Mash it when you're hurt and eventually you will heal some HP.

That's pretty much all you need to know to play a Monk for a very long time. Zero spells to worry about, no mana. Your bare hands are deadly weapons too. No need to worry about getting any for a long time.

pivo
04-14-2020, 03:10 PM
Simplest AND easiest has to be Monk.
- Very few keys to click. Autoattack, Mend, Kick, Feign Death (FD). You can just know these 4 and be just fine. You'll need to learn how /assist works eventually but that can wait until you're 20+

- High survivability - you can FD and dodge 99% of dangerous situations. As soon as you learn the main stuff about FD, you'll almost never die until you get to the highest levels.

The main FD stuff is:
- For FD to work, you must turn autoattack off first, if you're autoattacking
- FD can fail, and you get "XX falls on the ground" message.
- A mob hitting you with a spell will break your successful FD. This includes AE spells and spells the mob started casting before you FD'd.

Mend is a self-heal ability. Mash it when you're hurt and eventually you will heal some HP.

That's pretty much all you need to know to play a Monk for a very long time. Zero spells to worry about, no mana. Your bare hands are deadly weapons too. No need to worry about getting any for a long time.

Monk sounds interesting, will try it out, thanks. Is FD a spell?

loramin
04-14-2020, 03:18 PM
I think Monk and Warrior both deserve an honorable mention as very simple classes ... but I still think it's hard to argue either one of them is simpler than Rogue (or Wizard/MAge, but it's more of an apples to oranges deal to compare melee to Int caster).

ldgo86
04-14-2020, 03:23 PM
I think Monk and Warrior both deserve an honorable mention as very simple classes ... but I still think it's hard to argue either one of them is simpler than Rogue (or Wizard/MAge, but it's more of an apples to oranges deal to compare melee to Int caster).

Being able to pull as a monk has a high skill ceiling tho. So many bad monks out there.

loramin
04-14-2020, 03:25 PM
Being able to pull as a monk has a high skill ceiling tho. So many bad monks out there.

Totally; the core of the class is simple, but it has dimensions.

And while I've never played a Warrior to high level, I understand that keeping agro actually requires some degree of "skill". I'm not trying to equate that to playing say an Enchanter or Shaman, but I think it pretty clearly requires more skill than pressing backstab when it pops ;)

kandreas
04-14-2020, 03:32 PM
Eh... rogue you have to position, and for that you kinda have to be aware of your surroundings unless you like attracting wanderers. But otherwise, yes rogue is easily the easiest class except when /corpse dragging in high level dungeons.

Tnair
04-14-2020, 03:35 PM
Corpse dragging is super easy, the hard part of being a rogue is ....um....wait I'll think of something

Keebz
04-14-2020, 03:44 PM
Monk is slightly more complicated, but a lot more forgiving then rogue, imho.

You can solo and duo way better, and mend/FD are good get out of jail free cards.

For that reason I'd say it's easier long term.

cd288
04-14-2020, 04:24 PM
On a wiz or druid, you don't have to quad, quadding is complex, it just cuts leveling time by a factor of 4

This is kind of untrue. Quadding isn’t complex. Ensnare 4 mobs, run around in a circle until they are close together, then cast AoE nuke a few times.

Quadding is actually one of the best forms of AFK leveling given that without a mana regen buff on each quad will burn through most of your mana. So then you met and AFK for like 10 minutes or more. Then get back up and kill 4 mobs and med again and AFK.

Especially if you’re at a camp like the shore dwarves in BB...kill multiple mobs very quickly and then 12 minute respawn time means plenty AFK time if that’s what you want.

branamil
04-14-2020, 04:27 PM

magnetaress
04-14-2020, 04:28 PM
This is kind of untrue. Quadding isn’t complex. Ensnare 4 mobs, run around in a circle until they are close together, then cast AoE nuke a few times.

Quadding is actually one of the best forms of AFK leveling given that without a mana regen buff on each quad will burn through most of your mana. So then you met and AFK for like 10 minutes or more. Then get back up and kill 4 mobs and med again and AFK.

Especially if you’re at a camp like the shore dwarves in BB...kill multiple mobs very quickly and then 12 minute respawn time means plenty AFK time if that’s what you want.

I agree. And I quadded to 60 without a staff of temperate flux and just quaffing sow pots on my live wizard.

However there are a lot of minor details and oddities like the staff of temmperate flux, camping jboots, farming the goblin hearts for the staff, positioning. Lining up the mobs. Having enough mana. Medding while moving or getting clarity to finish off a quad if barely enough or bad resists, etc... Managing server ticks to optimize spell casts and med ticks.

The thing is, I consider it simple, I agree that you feel like its simple, and I believe you. I wouldn't tell a newbie druid with tattered and patchwork armor to go have a quad though. Not without inviting them into my group and showing them how awesome my staff is )

That said, I leved two druids without quadding alternating between root rotting, and nuking or a combination thereof, harmony made life easy, and I would dot, nuke nuke, root, wait for it to die, and on single targets this was easy afk leveling on an ungeared character. Specced evok for pvp.

IMHO

Jimjam
04-14-2020, 04:34 PM
On my wizard I just turned on autoattack and spammed a nuke in top slot with the cooldown timer bypassed with an insta click. It seemed pretty fast with AFKs between spawns and gnoll scrolls to hand in. Mostly vanilla gear, but I did have a lost staff of the scions, which is admittedly a very beefy ratio compared to unexpanded, but the length of the cast times meant I didn't really benefit from it that much. I think it would be doable on green, especially once instacasts become more accessible with sol ro temple.

magnetaress
04-14-2020, 04:37 PM
On my wizard I just turned on autoattack and spammed a nuke in top slot with the cooldown timer bypassed with an insta click. It seemed pretty fast with AFKs between spawns and gnoll scrolls to hand in. Mostly vanilla gear, but I did have a lost staff of the scions, which is admittedly a very beefy ratio compared to unexpanded, but the length of the cast times meant I didn't really benefit from it that much. I think it would be doable on green, especially once instacasts become more accessible with sol ro temple.

ya the wiz face mask is awesome too

wiz has a gentle learning curve, u dont have to be complicated its perfect for newbies

Jimjam
04-14-2020, 04:45 PM
It's true, I am well endowed in the newb department.

GnomeCaptain
04-14-2020, 05:56 PM
Monk is vastly simpler than Mage, Rogue, or Wizard.

On the latter three you have to be careful about agro.

In my experience very few players of these classes maximizes their damage and utility to group. Most rogues go too far; few Wizards understand how to optimize their CC and dps.

But with a monk it doesn't matter all that much if you get agro, you're pretty tanky and can fd anyway.

If you explore and take a wrong turn, fd.

And you don't have to worry much about getting weapons or armor. And because of weight-restrictions many other decisions are made simple.

It has to be the simplest class by far.

Evia
04-14-2020, 06:19 PM
Monk is vastly simpler than Mage, Rogue, or Wizard.

On the latter three you have to be careful about agro.

In my experience very few players of these classes maximizes their damage and utility to group. Most rogues go too far; few Wizards understand how to optimize their CC and dps.

But with a monk it doesn't matter all that much if you get agro, you're pretty tanky and can fd anyway.

If you explore and take a wrong turn, fd.

And you don't have to worry much about getting weapons or armor. And because of weight-restrictions many other decisions are made simple.

It has to be the simplest class by far.

Yeah but their role and responsibility in groups is way more complex. Split pulling is an art form.

cd288
04-14-2020, 06:25 PM
Yeah but their role and responsibility in groups is way more complex. Split pulling is an art form.

It’s not really that hard. Aggro mobs, click button, wait till all but one start to walk back to spawn point, stand up.

loramin
04-14-2020, 06:30 PM
I think maybe this whole conversation should have been prefaced with "let's be honest ... nothing about classic EverQuest is truly hard: we're debating relative degrees of easiness here."

ChooChoo Train
04-14-2020, 06:32 PM
Being a mediocre bard, get to lvl 6 and afk regen song in groups til lvl 32 then replace with manasong.

Gustoo
04-14-2020, 06:54 PM
All easy choose what you feel most fun and favorite starting town.

Enchanter sux low level. druid kinda sux low level. Both become highly enjoyable solo classes later on.

everything else pretty good all the time.

Izmael
04-14-2020, 08:01 PM
To whoever said "split pulling is hard" etc: the OP didn't ask "what class has no complexity to it".

The OP asked what is simple and easy to play for a newbie. That's very different.

For example, rogue is incredibly straightforward, yet not easy to play for a newbie. Getting any kind of aggro from a mob you can't solo kill right there means your only hope to survive is to reach a zone line. In most dungeons it means you will die and will need to CR - not very newbie friendly.

Monk is simple (few abilities, no spells), and easy (FD, mend).
Druid is pretty newbie-friendly, too. Nice friendly spells and all.
Mage is good. Have the pet fight for you.

I think all the other classes are less newbie-friendly than these 3.

magnetaress
04-14-2020, 08:10 PM
Arguably by those metrics paladins are pretty resiliant and they get lull, heal, root, and every class can buy invis and ivu pots as well as sow pots. Fundamental EQ stuff right there.

turbosilk
04-14-2020, 08:25 PM
I will play mostly solo. Very slow inexperienced player, less button I need to click, better. :D

Obviously rogue. Requires the least skill to play. Click backstab once every 6 seconds.

Picked
04-14-2020, 11:38 PM

Sounds like a Wizard is right up your alley. Or a Magician. Wizards are nice and relaxing to play. Just don't AFK and leach exp we already have a bad enough stigma lol

Jimjam
04-15-2020, 02:31 AM
few Wizards understand how to optimize their CC and dps.but nobody expects wizards to utilise their CC.

They aren’t even really expected to use their interrupt or duration stuns. Nor rooting the main tanks target to help control aggro.

All people expect is you dump your mana into nukes every quarter of an hour and then go back to work / netflix / playing with the baby / chores.

I think meeting social expectations is something to consider when arguing the easiest class to play.

Natewest1987
04-15-2020, 03:18 AM
Of all the suggestions, I’d say the rogue might be the simplest one that I saw mentioned. No idea why anyone would recommend to you a necro or Druid. Their skill sets have way too much variety in the type of spells they’re able to cast. Those two classes rely heavily on experience to get the most of them.

I would honestly recommend cleric, though, as the most complex decision you’ll have to make is knowing which heal to use. Once you start talking about druids and necro then there are so many options and the best choice for what to do when, won’t always be apparent. For instance, if you cast a dot that takes 2 mins to do its damage but the mob dies way before that, and quadding? For a newbie? Lol

Ivory
04-15-2020, 05:53 AM

1. roll any character
2. bank gear
3. ....
4. click beg on any npc
5. profit

*4a. pick a newbie zone

I bet a fisherman would make more moneys. Beg to get enough for a sturdy rod and some bait....

UNLESS you are a druid / ranger! Then you can forage your own bait and food and water to save money! Even sell some of that extra foraged foods.

Boom, fish, berries, veggies....that's some good moneys. You probably start making 1pp every 10 minutes with good fishing (and fishing isn't capped by level, so you can be a master fisher early).

turbosilk
04-15-2020, 06:06 AM
but nobody expects wizards to utilise their CC.

They aren’t even really expected to use their interrupt or duration stuns. Nor rooting the main tanks target to help control aggro.

All people expect is you dump your mana into nukes every quarter of an hour and then go back to work / netflix / playing with the baby / chores.

I think meeting social expectations is something to consider when arguing the easiest class to play.

Just because some people think this doesn't make it true. Rogue by far is the least skill class. Monk would be next. A low skill player playing a wizard is the same results as a high skill player playing a rogue, just mindless dps. A high skill player on a wizard brings a lot more to the group than dps.

And for the next at least 2 years mage and wiz are god mode dps in raid bosses.

BlackBellamy
04-15-2020, 08:09 AM
mostly solo

less button I need to click

the only button you ever need to actually click on is destroy, so i would go with the other people in this thread that say rogue because as mostly solo you're going to really minimize that use

magnetaress
04-15-2020, 08:10 AM
All easy choose what you feel most fun and favorite starting town.

Enchanter sux low level. druid kinda sux low level. Both become highly enjoyable solo classes later on.

everything else pretty good all the time.

Some are easier then others.

DD viability in order of it is going to kill your target is Wiz>Mage>Druid>Cleric>Shaman>Enchanter>Necro

Having played a necro to 50, and never gotten an enchanter past lvl 20... I don't exactly recommend them for 'simplicity'.

That said my original recommendation still stands, on a necro if you only bought your lifetaps and pets, and fought in relatively safe outdoor spots were pulling was straight forward and you could focus down one mob at a time from a full mana bar, all you really hafe to do is lifetap and help your pet tank a little bit.

Druids and Wizards do it better though, with less downtime. Mages can be pretty awesome, but pets get me killed, all the time....

Almost every class can be played simply in this game if you are not worrying about optimal efficiency.

Wizards have built in optimal efficiency with 1 single spell line. And it is noticeable later on.

Enough so that I would say deleting a mob 36 seconds or so, increases exp throughput a lot more then being able to 'sustain' killing a mob every 2 minutes constantly. This pays out a lot more if anyone ever afks, as every time they go to fight, their mana bar is automagically full. So there is in reality zero downtime with the fastest kill throughput possible. No one is making you sit at the keyboard. You can read. You can nap between kills. You can lay in bed and die for 30 minutes between kills. It is a great class for people who truly are sick and need something to distract them 'when they can manage it'.

It is really important that people pick an archetype and theme that resonates with them. It is much better to play a bard poorly doing a lot of repeatable experience quests and take 3 years to level, but enjoy the journey baking muffins, then it is to play a wizard and be sad you don't have selos for all those CRs. Or a faction song. Or a Bard mask.

Jimjam
04-15-2020, 08:11 AM
Just because some people think this doesn't make it true. Rogue by far is the least skill class. Monk would be next. A low skill player playing a wizard is the same results as a high skill player playing a rogue, just mindless dps. A high skill player on a wizard brings a lot more to the group than dps.

I think you're missing the context of my post. I don't disagree with your comment on what a high skill player on a wizard brings, but the thread is in relation to the easiest and simplest class to play. Your comment was outside the scope of this context.

Being a social game, I believe one of the most important criterion for 'easiest and simplest' would be 'meeting the expectations of your group mates', and I feel this barrier is even lower for wizards (occasional mana dumps) than it is for rogues (dpsing every mob, continuously paying attention to positioning and remembering to back stab, while being expected to have the zone knowledge to accomplish corpse recoveries).

Rather than being what a peak (or even mode) example of the class can achieve, we need to look at the lowest acceptable trough for performance is on each class.

magnetaress
04-15-2020, 08:27 AM
I think you're missing the context of my post. I don't disagree with your comment on what a high skill player on a wizard brings, but the thread is in relation to the easiest and simplest class to play. Your comment was outside the scope of this context.

Being a social game, I believe one of the most important criterion for 'easiest and simplest' would be 'meeting the expectations of your group mates', and I feel this barrier is even lower for wizards (occasional mana dumps) than it is for rogues (dpsing every mob, continuously paying attention to positioning and remembering to back stab, while being expected to have the zone knowledge to accomplish corpse recoveries).

Rather than being what a peak (or even mode) example of the class can achieve, we need to look at the lowest acceptable trough for performance is on each class.

Rogue has a steep learning curve. The difference between an amazing rogue and a simple rogue is pretty big. A rogue that invests time into poisons, knows all the spawn points, knows pulling mechanics, knows agro mechanics vs a rogue that just stands there and hits one button is more drastic then a wizard IMO.

The only thing a wizard really needs to worry about is:

Is the mob at 70% hp, OK safe to nuke it.
Is the mob a caster? Nuke harder
Is the mob attacking me or someone I don't want it to attack? Ok root.
Is everyone screaming OMG WE ARE ALL DYING TRAIN /shout TREAIN 2zone? Omg evac plz channel.

About the only other thing I can think of is if you want to channel a better evac stand in a corner were u cant get pushed lol.

magnetaress
04-15-2020, 08:29 AM
I bet a fisherman would make more moneys. Beg to get enough for a sturdy rod and some bait....

UNLESS you are a druid / ranger! Then you can forage your own bait and food and water to save money! Even sell some of that extra foraged foods.

Boom, fish, berries, veggies....that's some good moneys. You probably start making 1pp every 10 minutes with good fishing (and fishing isn't capped by level, so you can be a master fisher early).

Ayyyeee and you can then start baking and brewing too ! :D

* am really JEALOUS * of wood elfs... so wrong ;(

Muggens
04-15-2020, 08:34 AM
Every class in EQ can be easy, as mentioned it comes down to what you want to do and what people expect.
People playing monks will say split pulling is an "art form", warriors brag about positioning and leadership abilities, but theyre all easy to play. Shaman heh im curious what makes a shaman difficult to play. Some posters pretends almost no one know how to play their class :p truth is this game is not difficult to play, its mostly down to knowledge about game mechanics, and enchanters and bards have the highest ceiling on this aspect. If you are knowledgeable in game there is alot you can do as these two classes without getting lots of gear and clickies, and they will keep you the most busy. But you can play either two on easy street too, and they certainly have lots and lots of tricks to make life easy in EQ compared to other classes who dont get half of their abilities. Druid is a good easy choice, you can do alittle of everything, you get sow and ports, you can level up using an easy method like being a group patch healer and buffer or go root rot or kite nuke/quad, and if you feel like some more responsibility you can charm. Choose whatever you get the most roleplaying affinity to, theyre all easy and they can all become more difficult if you want, its up to the player, why this game is so great

magnetaress
04-15-2020, 08:35 AM

its fine if wizards are played reactively not proactively its not that big a deal. What we aren't taking into account is that this is indeed actually a social game and group dynamics are important.

"Groups that challenge new players to the point of wiping the group" are not really "good groups"

I would say its better for the group leader and puller to 'slow down the pace' and play more conservatively if their group makeup or player skill levels require such, and that any group leader or puller who cannot accommodate other people, their play styles, or their in real lives are indeed - bad group leaders - class and gear makeup matter very little at this point.

Not everyone is looking for that omptimal chain pulling with a mob parked 10% exp per kill rate, and in fact its dumb to try and achieve that as people just end up dying, hard crs happen.

If you want to level characters fast, form a cabal with a few druid, necro, and bard friends. You will be able to churn out lvl 50 characters in like 3 days. With way less risk, and effort involved.

This OP doesn't want to do that. They want a character they can play without the complexities of:
CC, mez, charm, pulling
swapping out 50 spell gems during a fight (ench, necro, bard, shm, lol)
Knowing about all the wierd tricks and quirks of the game mechanics and zone lore, (imo monk, rogue)

Remember though we were all new once, I played a monk without learning how to split pull for like a year, it was a terrible time in my life, but i had a lot of fun, and will never play a monk again :D ;)

The journey was worth it.

https://i.imgur.com/kXvf8I1.gif

magnetaress
04-15-2020, 08:37 AM
Every class in EQ can be easy, as mentioned it comes down to what you want to do and what people expect.
People playing monks will say split pulling is an "art form", warriors brag about positioning and leadership abilities, but theyre all easy to play. Shaman heh im curious what makes a shaman difficult to play. Some posters pretends almost no one know how to play their class :p truth is this game is not difficult to play, its mostly down to knowledge about game mechanics, and enchanters and bards have the highest ceiling on this aspect. If you are knowledgeable in game there is alot you can do as these two classes without getting lots of gear and clickies, and they will keep you the most busy. But you can play either two on easy street too, and they certainly have lots and lots of tricks to make life easy in EQ compared to other classes who dont get half of their abilities. Druid is a good easy choice, you can do alittle of everything, you get sow and ports, you can level up using an easy method like being a group patch healer and buffer or go root rot or kite nuke/quad, and if you feel like some more responsibility you can charm. Choose whatever you get the most roleplaying affinity to, theyre all easy and they can all become more difficult if you want, its up to the player, why this game is so great

yeah, ports are really convienient especially if you have a hard time moving your character around lots and lots

Jimjam
04-15-2020, 09:01 AM
Some great posts there magnetaress.

One prompted me to realise the wizard probably has least active button pressing time, meaning it is easier to lay on the RP.

Surely, being a social rpg, this is the most important metric for 'easiest to play'?

Izmael
04-15-2020, 09:06 AM
Hard to believe so many people are missing the point.

OP asked what is simply and easy for a mostly solo newbie.

How can anyone suggest rogue, which is unarguably the worst solo class in the game? You can't tank, you can't heal yourself, your only offensive ability (backstab) is almost unusable solo.

Wizard will only work for a few levels, then he will start to get beaten up by the mobs he's trying to root/nuke.

I don't think anyone suggested necro, by the way. Decent newbie class.

magnetaress
04-15-2020, 09:08 AM
Hard to believe so many people are missing the point.

How can anyone suggest rogue, which is unarguably the worst solo class in the game? You can't tank, you can't heal yourself, your only offensive ability (backstab) is almost unusable solo.

Wizard will only work for a few levels, then he will start to get beaten up by the mobs he's trying to root/nuke.

I did first post, like 2cnd post after I f5d the board and saw this pop up but u obviously have me on ignore, and again several times for that, u can get by with lifetaps and a pet...

Anyway - rogues can backstab solo, i get 8/10 backstabs, it takes a lot of skill, i lvld one to 45 solo on red with sbds and a rubi bp, lol. I did a lot of jousting snared mobs until intimidate landed once they started to hit hard enough to not want to strafestab.

intimidate makes sk an easy cakewalk, albiet slow, and with some decent downtime. Even with the bp. This is by no means 'simple though'

Some RTS players are rated in actions per minute, necros are up there in actions minute.. wizards and clerics and druids are viable with like... 10 actions per minute, given an appropriately low range light blue or green encounter.

There are a lot of ways to look at this.

magnetaress
04-15-2020, 09:14 AM
Reeks of min/maxer ruining their own lands, they will not ruin mine.

I am assuming OP finds pressing buttons tedious or hard, so therefore wants way less buttons to press. As they specifically mentioned button questing being a strong consideration. I feel for anyone with this criteria because i have been so sick in my life in the past as to actually need something I could actively do to rehabilitate myself that required like pressing 1 button every 10 minutes.

your posts are real gud mblake stop deleting urself

the friction you cause maybe makes the world a lil better and allows other people to chip in you do it in a real mature way

pivo
04-15-2020, 09:52 AM

...rouge, which is unarguably the worst solo class in the game? You can't tank, you can't heal yourself, your only offensive ability (backstab) is almost unusable solo.

Wizard will only work for a few levels, then he will start to get beaten up by the mobs...

First, let me thank you all for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it. As you suggest a class, I'm reading about it, trying to learn more.

Second, I need to apologize, I should be clearer with my initial question. Yes, simple and few buttons can mean different things.

I should first mentioned, that I'm very very very bad player in senior years. I was born not to be any kind of gamer, yet I like to play here and there, when I have time. My play style, I see the monster, I run away lol Well, not quite that bad, but you get the point. I get easy killed myself, easy killed others in the group, so I'm not good for groups and I avoid them. (I never learn how to proper play my class or particular game, so it is best to save everyone's frustration by me not grouping) Plus, many times I just may abruptly go offline for some reason, which is not good for group's spirit... The only ones not getting easy killed are khm, monsters lol

By not pressing too many buttons I meant, not need to worry to learn too many spells, how they work, what is their correlation, symbiosis and all that analytical stuff I'm not interested in and if there are too many I need to worry about, it kills the game for me. I tried EQ2 a little bit and there were so many spells that I couldn't dealt with it. Several hot bars! So which ones to keep? Study on some training dummy? Yeah right! (not that would help even if I would try) You need to have one spell rotation for this, another for that... nope, not me! Plus, yes, my fingers are not what they used to be...

I will definitely try several classes, but I have something to go with now. On one hand I like Monk, for its ability to pretend to be dead. That would simplify my game a lot. (less running away lol lol lol) I will not worry about mastering pulling skill too much. Who cares, I will just try to have fun, not planning to group much if at all. If I do, they will get clear msg: "I'm very bad, you want to get killed?" "What is pulling?", "No i don't do pulling" ...

Mage, I'm now less interested into it, now that I'm learning pet can get me killed easily by not properly micromanaging it. Yeah, I can see this scenario happens quite often. Probably way too often. Rouge, seems tough and complicated to this bad player. Proper positioning? Probably not my thing. At least not to start with.

Class that can easily port around, sounds very very interesting to me. I get lost very easy even with the maps in the game. And here are none. In dungeons I get constantly lost, even with maps. Means in this game I will NOT go into dungeons. No thank you, so I can only get out with someones else help... Since there are only online maps available, I can see I will be getting lost a LOT of the time. Easy porting looks more and more as very good idea for this poor player. Will definitely try the simplest, easiest, solo beginner friendly of the two that have easy porting skill. Maybe both of them if I can't figure out, which of the two would be best fit for me.

I can't wait trying game out. I spent almost whole day yesterday, two machines, 2 different Linux OS. Today I'm starting installing everything fresh again. Did some more reading. Will try different Linux distros if I need to. (no windows here, ever) I will get this somehow working. I think this game will be perfect for me. I will play it slow, who care if it takes me years to level, no rush, plenty info and help online...

Thank you all again for all the suggestions. When I asked my question, I though there is one simple easy answer that everyone knows the answer and why not just ask for it. The fact, that there are so many different opinions, (ignoring my poor initial question), just shows, how interesting this game is. It just makes me more wishing to start to play it :D

p.s.
You guys several times mentioned some kind of begging. Definitely need to read more about this. Not that i'm beggar by nature, quite opposite, not asking for freebies in the game ever. (was in the guild in EQ2, there were lots of mats for everyone to take and use, but I rather harvested mine myself) but I didn't know that this mechanic existed in this game, interesting...

Muggens
04-15-2020, 10:14 AM
Halfling druid

magnetaress
04-15-2020, 10:17 AM
Halfling druid

seconded

especially if you like hanging out and casually helping other lower lvl players

pivo
04-15-2020, 10:27 AM
seconded

especially if you like hanging out and casually helping other lower lvl players

I do! (will be nice to hear "thanks!" for a change instead "grrr!" LOL LOl LOL
Looks like, now that I properly described my play stile and my 'virtues', answer is somehow easier to find ;) :p

Going to read now more about Druid and Halflings, thanks!

Izmael
04-15-2020, 11:03 AM
Druid is perfect as a starter class, especially if you don't want to go to dungeons, where the druid loses some of its abilities. It's a primarily outdoor class really. Perfect to explore the game.

Monk if you don't want to deal with the whole spell casting system of EQ which isn't particularly straightforward.

As for Linux - I play P99 on Linux. Installation is very simple. I use Debian linux but it should work for other distros as well, especially Ubuntu since it's so close to Debian in many ways.

You'll simply need to
- install wine, any version 4 or higher should work without any tweaking. On Debian (and probably Ubuntu) you need to run "sudo apt install wine wine32" to install wine.
- run winecfg once, don't need to change anything. It will create some directories.
- Copy your P99 installation folder to /home/<username>/.wine/drive_c/Users/<username>/p99
- optional: Symlink the directory for easy access: ln -s /home/<username>/.wine/drive_c/Users/<username>/p99 /home/<username>/p99
- Create the following file with the text editor of your choice:

#!/bin/sh
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Users/<username>/p99
wine ./eqgame.exe patchme

- make the file executable by running "chmod +x <filename>" on it
- run this file every time you want to run p99

No idea how used to Linux you are, so I gave a detailed walkthrough.

pivo
04-15-2020, 11:41 AM
- run winecfg once, don't need to change anything. It will create some directories.
wine ./eqgame.exe patchme

Thank you very much for Linux help! I will start with Druid HalfLing and some other time I may try Monk as second class.

About Linux, on one computer game crashes at login, will redo everything, probably too many different wine stuff installed (mono, gecko, staging, HQ... didn't know what I was doing i have better idea now, I only need official wine)

On another computer I got to log in OK and I did overwrite files with latest patch v53 as I should, but I'm getting error about spell files outdated. But I tried so many things that I must of messed something up, will redo everything, I'm glad it is not that hard.

One quick question. Can you run *.bat file under wine? If yes, would: "wine start something.bat" work? (so I can maybe later install/add some cosmetic stuff)

loramin
04-15-2020, 11:51 AM
Thank you very much for Linux help! I will start with Druid HalfLing and some other time I may try Monk as second class.

About Linux, on one computer game crashes at login, will redo everything, probably too many different wine stuff installed (mono, gecko, staging, HQ... didn't know what I was doing i have better idea now, I only need official wine)

On another computer I got to log in OK and I did overwrite files with latest patch v53 as I should, but I'm getting error about spell files outdated. But I tried so many things that I must of messed something up, will redo everything, I'm glad it is not that hard.

One quick question. Can you run *.bat file under wine? If yes, would: "wine start something.bat" work? (so I can maybe later install/add some cosmetic stuff)

First, in my experience, most/all "failure to run" issues on Linux boil down to your WINE version, or the version of your graphics card drivers. If something doesn't work, keep playing around with different versions of those, including both the proprietary and open source graphics drivers (different ones work better for different people). Also, you can try running winecfg, and changing the checkboxes on the interface tab about controlling windows and emulating a virtual desktop.

Second, when it says your spell files are outdated, that's because you haven't patched with the latest patch from P99 (there's always a link to the latest on the front page of the site).

Third, I don't know about batch files, but you don't need them or the Linux equivalent (a .sh file). You can just make a shortcut for "wine eqgame.exe patchme" ... or you can make the .sh file Izmael suggested.

And finally, while it's not Linux specific, https://wiki.project1999.com/Getting%20Started has a good overview of the whole process.

pivo
04-15-2020, 12:20 PM
Second, when it says your spell files are outdated, that's because you haven't patched with the latest patch from P99 (there's always a link to the latest on the front page of the site).

Thanks! The thing is, I did overwrite with the latest unzipped patch: "Project 1999 Files (V53)", so old spells files error is rather puzzling.

Yes, I'm using that great guide from the link you posted. But like I said, reinstalling Linux and redoing everything may help this time. Getting ready now :)

loramin
04-15-2020, 12:23 PM
That is odd. I'm not sure exactly how you did the patching, but is it possible you drag/dropped them from the zip file, and missed a file in the process or something?

In any case, good luck with redoing everything, and again if it doesn't work right away try changing your graphics card drivers (on Linux Mint you can use the "Driver Manager"), and if that doesn't help try playing with those checkboxes in winecfg (and if that doesn't work, maybe try a different WINE version).

Jibartik
04-15-2020, 03:46 PM
There are a lot of arrows and screencaps in this thread so Idk what is going on but I think rogue is the most simple class to play. Log in, shout LFG, invis walk to it, join, stab, log off.

It's a lot of fun! But you do gotta wait around sometimes because there isn't much you can do alone.

Evia
04-15-2020, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I love my rogue for lots of reasons,
but that laid back and non-stressful gameplay
action with minimal responsibility and big
dick numbers is really enjoyable.
Honestly besides needing a group most of the time, there aren't a lot of cons to the rogue class for me. Idk if if it's the simplest class in EQ but its definitely pretty easy and straight forward.

Izmael
04-15-2020, 04:42 PM
If you patched the files but it says spells file is outdate, you probably did someting wrong when patching.

The best is to put the P99Files53.zip in your P99 directory, then run the following commands in a terminal:

cd <p99 directory>
unzip P99Files53.zip

Enter A when asked to overwrite files.

Then you should be good to go.

pivo
04-15-2020, 05:31 PM
If you patched the files but it says spells file is outdate, you probably did someting wrong when patching.

First, SUCCESS!!!! Yay! Thanks EVERYONE for help!!!

Not sure what I did. Installed new Linux, repeated steps, same result. But then after some more fiddling, don't know what did it, now it works. There was some error in the terminal about ncurses so I reinstalled it among few other things.

Very nice thing about Linux MX is, I will now with 2-3 mouse clicks create installable ISO file and after that, I can install MX with the game in it into another computer. Perfect!

Back to the game, got into the game, choose Druid, Halfling, talked to nearest NPC, gave him note, got my first armor and xp points, I put two spells into spellbar, so i'm ready! Outside I talked to NPC who is helping young Druids. Good, that's exactly what I need. Well hi disappeared while I was looking around. I saw some vegetable on the floor, I sold it for a few silver and he was gone. My help gone! How cruel is this!?! Not fair! A bug report!!! :D

So I went to look for him. I run around few corners and now I'm properly lost. Already, who would of think so lol. After 15 minutes running around, still lost. Mostly running in the same area but that starting area disappeared on me. Another bug he-he. I have read somewhere, that Druids get spell 'gate' at level 5. This will be my most important spell! Boy I already need it. ;)

Two players asked/shouted in chat for transport. I could already be making some money if I would know what I'm doing. :D

Anyway, fun start. I hope one day I get out of this maze lol

But the most important, to everyone, thank you all again for all of the help and suggestions. Will try for a few more minutes, I'm ready to kill something with lvl 0.1-0.2. Then I will log out and create iso file and install everything on another computer. Tomorrow I will try to get out of this maze. If I'm next week still here, :D ten someone will have to come and pick me up and for free on top of it lol lol lol

Take care everyone and thanks for all the help!

pivo
04-15-2020, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I love my rogue for lots of reasons,
Honestly besides needing a group most of the time

Well I will be playing without groups most of the time, So Rouge is not viable for me.

aspomwell
04-15-2020, 06:52 PM
There are a couple options you can use for in game maps, but I'm not sure how well they work under Linux. They both operate by reading your log file so you'll need to enable logging and bind one of your movement keys to do a /loc (and optionally sense heading).

The maps will display in a different window other than your game window, and will put a little arrow on the map and your orientation based on where you are and where you're pointing. It sounds like this might be helpful for you.

One is called nparse, that one has spell timers built in as well so you can see when your buffs/dots are wearing off. The one I prefer is called ZLiz as it uses the old EQAtlas maps which just look better.

I'll leave it to the Linux nerds to explain if it can be done with your setup though, I don't know. :(

edit: oh, and I concur on the halfling druid, it should fit your playstyle nicely, there are also several player guides that explain some of the more nuanced things you can do, just search the wiki for "player guides" and scroll to the druid ones.

Jibartik
04-15-2020, 07:23 PM
Halfling Druid is like the rogue of the caster classes :o I concur that it is fun to play and chill.

Cen
04-15-2020, 10:02 PM
Why in the hell am I thinking of making a dark elf magician right now.. especially instead of a superior enchanter.. a weaker class, with an impossible epic..

Jibartik
04-15-2020, 10:05 PM
Dark elf mages look cool with Helot skull helms and Mage epics and gloves of rallos zek. Throw on a pair of GEBs and a Crimson Robe of Arudene and you can taste the rainbow.

magnetaress
04-15-2020, 10:16 PM
Why in the hell am I thinking of making a dark elf magician right now.. especially instead of a superior enchanter.. a weaker class, with an impossible epic..

It is only impossible because you were told it was impossible. Now go prove them wrong.

Or die trying :D :eek:

BlackBellamy
04-16-2020, 12:54 AM
Well I will be playing without groups most of the time, So Rouge is not viable for me.

When you get on do a /who all dial. It's a trade association for porters but they'll take any level even naked. You'll have a druid chat channel and tons of great advice for leveling spots. Talk to anyone about joining, most everyone can invite.

Druid life is all about catering to the lazy coward.

As a lazy coward your druid experience will consist of rooting something then sitting down and watching it die slowly. You'll stare right into it's eyes as it sways there and makes the noises and then falls over. It never gets old. You would think but it doesn't. I mean you can kite and charm and quad and blow stuff up and be very very active, but that is all optional.

Your ports and speed buffs maximize laziness by lessening travel time. You are right there all the time and the bank is almost a single button press.

You won't waste time asking for a rez because your cowardice and escape methods means you will die by choice and besides hello halfling bonus.

As a premier plat farmer, you will minimize time spent in EC trying to haggle out a price by just paying top dollar for the gear you want which means a pair of +55 hp rings and I guess nothing else. People will tell you to buy wisdom gear but those guys are liars in cahoots with the equipment cabal because all wisdom does is increase your mana pool and that means you can be more active and this goes against the whole lazy coward ethos. I mean do what you want, just sayin those extra 110 hp will allow you take one more frost bolt up your ass while you skeddadle that's all you need.

You won't waste time looking for a group because before a very precise point in your druid life other people will be like yeah come we need a healer and after that precise point it will be just radio silence but either way again there's no time wasted here cause you'll know what's going on.

Geomance22
04-16-2020, 09:26 AM
pure melee just sucks without a discord of pals, hybrid is an okay compromise since you can still solo just not at an ideal rate

pivo
04-16-2020, 03:08 PM
Ashamed to admit, still on lvl 1. Not much time for play, maybe tomorrow I get few hours in.

I have 2 kills/wins so far and 4 deaths. With body chased far away and I have no clue where. So I created new toon. Clicked on guard, to see if there is something interactive with him and it was. He killed me on the spot! lol That's how I got 4th death.

Druid starts with thick skin protection buff, heal and weapon. I was sure that will be enough to mop with the creatures. ;) Here comes by Klaknak Drone (i think), I attacked and he would not die. At least not before me. Looks like it is not the weakest one. After i re-spawned, I figured out, there are creatures more equal to my lvl. So I eagerly attacked one. Only to found out I had no spells, no weapon... Then I recalled, I did read about it, I should go to my corpse first, duh! Died second time.

OK got to my corpse, got my stuff back, buffed up and I was ready. Finally!

Bat! My level. Easy peasy if I can reach him. Snake, my level, killed both. Then next snake, running away, I was chasing it when some player fly by me.

Come to find out, it was not a player, but some bloodlust Bixie Drone. I started to run toward the guards. Little problem was, I had no clue where guards were. Can I outrun it? I tried, running some one minute or so. Who knows where. Then he cougth me. Third death.

After that I'm standing next to guards, thinking what to do next. Corpse is who knows where... Someone probably noticed my struggles and he traded me nice, blue pair of gloves. (I wrote your name down, good soul, will try to pay back some time in the future).

Gloves looks nice. No way I was going to search for my corpse miles away. I would die again and lose gloves. (at that time I didn't know if there is bank around or where it would be) So I created new toon, that guard killed on the spot for right clicking on him. One day i will be back and then this guard will see all the marbles!

Then I ran out of playing time. Can my first toon send gloves via email to second toon? Or is there a way to share items through bank slot? In the mean time I found bank, so i can save gloves in it, if I decide to go search my corpse with first toon. But bare hands, no food/drink for regens, not knowing where I died, I'm not that inclined to go this route.

Anyway, fun start lol I will remember this one :-)

p.s.
Have some tweaking to do. Computer completely froze solid during the game. Only reset helped. That's not good, can add to my deaths count, so i need to experiment and figure out how to get more stable system.

p.p.s.
I see (you tube video) some players have compass at top of the screen. I need to get one, first priority. (or are those videos from blue server, is compass available on green server?)

pivo
04-16-2020, 03:14 PM
When you get on do a /who all dial. It's a trade association for porters but they'll take any level even naked. You'll have a druid chat channel and tons of great advice for leveling spots. Talk to anyone about joining, most everyone can invite.

Thank you for all the tips!!!
Ahh, Druid channel, never thought of it!

pivo
04-16-2020, 03:16 PM
There are a couple options you can use for in game maps, but I'm not sure how well they work under Linux.

One is called nparse, that one has spell timers built in as well so you can see when your buffs/dots are wearing off. The one I prefer is called ZLiz as it uses the old EQAtlas maps which just look better.

Maps! Thank you, will check this out, yay! ;)
Yep, found guides, will start reading soon.

Videri
04-16-2020, 03:16 PM
Clicked on guard, to see if there is something interactive with him and it was. He killed me on the spot! lol That's how I got 4th death.
Can I outrun it? I tried, running some one minute or so. Who knows where. Then he cougth me. Third death.
Someone probably noticed my struggles and he traded me nice, blue pair of gloves. (I wrote your name down, good soul, will try to pay back some time in the future).

Sooooo classic! Congratulations on having these experiences.

Do you know how to strafe-run? If you run forward and hold right click and also try to turn, you end up running diagonally. This makes you slightly faster (because EverQuest physics). You can outrun mobs with normal runspeed this way. Cats, though, not so much.

Cen
04-16-2020, 03:35 PM
Sooooo classic! Congratulations on having these experiences.

Do you know how to strafe-run? If you run forward and hold right click and also try to turn, you end up running diagonally. This makes you slightly faster (because EverQuest physics). You can outrun mobs with normal runspeed this way. Cats, though, not so much.

Its interesting how many old games this worked on but how few new games it does. If you add the movement of two vectors you run along the hypotenuse which is longer than the two right-angled sides. Somehow it went from common programming to a beginner's blunder

larper99
04-16-2020, 03:53 PM
There is no way a halfling druid is KOS in Rivervale or Misty. So, right clicking on the guards should not cause them to kill you. You must have right-click mapped to auto attack. If true, turn that off immediately.

When hunting in Misty Thicket at level 1, stay close to the huts just near the tunnel back to Rivervale. Really, at level 1, you should be doing some newbie quests from the Druid guild to deliver food and such to the guards. That will level you up to 2 without risk, THEN you can go out into Misty.

Create a macro key for Sense Heading and mash it at all times (or map to a movement key, but that is an advanced technique). By constantly mashing the Sense Heading macro, even while sitting, you should be able to max the skill out (200) by level 4. That skill can save your bacon for corpse runs and just getting familiar with zones.

Create a macro called LOC that does a /LOC on each line available in the macro editor. When you think you are going to die, hit the button. You will then have a record of WHERE you died. Also, using the LOC macro when in an unfamiliar or dark zone can help you get oriented as you move around. The first number is North/South, the second number is East/West. For East/West, negative numbers are to the East, which seems backwards to most people I would think.

Yeah, your experiences are very memorable to most. Truly wish we could all go back to such innocence.

Jibartik
04-16-2020, 05:28 PM
The classic experience is to have auto attack just on while you dope around town and eventually try to interact with an NPC, where you will now need to return to, to CR

TripSin
04-16-2020, 05:39 PM
Better than making a macro for sense heading and having to spam it manually all the time (which is what I've always done every time personally though) is probably to set up an alternate bind to a movement key that will automatically level up sense heading for you just as you move around (explained at the bottom here: https://wiki.project1999.com/Skill_Sense_Heading)

larper99
04-16-2020, 06:25 PM
The classic experience is to have auto attack just on while you dope around town and eventually try to interact with an NPC, where you will now need to return to, to CR

:eek:People actually did that? Ran around with the battle music constantly playing?:eek:

larper99
04-16-2020, 06:28 PM
Better than making a macro for sense heading and having to spam it manually all the time (which is what I've always done every time personally though) is probably to set up an alternate bind to a movement key that will automatically level up sense heading for you just as you move around (explained at the bottom here: https://wiki.project1999.com/Skill_Sense_Heading)

Yeah, I stated that was an advanced technique. But really, I just added Sense Heading to my hot key bar and spammed it with a new alt I just created. Got it up to 200 by level 4, so much faster than binding it to "move forward" like I've done in the past. Especially for casters, that sit down a lot, just spamming it while medding is so fast.

Cen
04-16-2020, 06:41 PM
:eek:People actually did that? Ran around with the battle music constantly playing?:eek:

My battle music was off by default in the OG game install before Kunark. I found the option by accident and turned it on months later to be suprised by the music :D

Octopath
04-17-2020, 07:37 PM
Best race for a rogue?

Jibartik
04-17-2020, 07:37 PM
Eyepatch Barbarian, Eyepatch human, Dwarf with 1 eye, Halfling.

Solist
04-17-2020, 07:54 PM
Gnome for wall vision. Can illusion to larger race by level 5 or so with a de mask.

And can wear robes.

Keebz
04-17-2020, 09:31 PM
Best race for a rogue?

Barbarian for sure.

But you can really play whatever fashion you want as STR is super easy to come by. Yea STA is nice, but meh.

I'll probably roll a dark elf for the lulz.

Chinetter
04-17-2020, 09:32 PM
There are a couple options you can use for in game maps, but I'm not sure how well they work under Linux. They both operate by reading your log file so you'll need to enable logging and bind one of your movement keys to do a /loc (and optionally sense heading).

The maps will display in a different window other than your game window, and will put a little arrow on the map and your orientation based on where you are and where you're pointing. It sounds like this might be helpful for you.

Hey, a big thank-you for posting this! I've got ZlizEQMap installed now and it's great.

(Tried nparse first, but Webroot antivirus flagged its executable as compromised and deleted it with prejudice.)

Old_PVP
04-17-2020, 09:56 PM
Ashamed to admit, still on lvl 1. Not much time for play, maybe tomorrow I get few hours in.

I have 2 kills/wins so far and 4 deaths. With body chased far away and I have no clue where. So I created new toon. Clicked on guard, to see if there is something interactive with him and it was. He killed me on the spot! lol That's how I got 4th death.

Druid starts with thick skin protection buff, heal and weapon. I was sure that will be enough to mop with the creatures. ;) Here comes by Klaknak Drone (i think), I attacked and he would not die. At least not before me. Looks like it is not the weakest one. After i re-spawned, I figured out, there are creatures more equal to my lvl. So I eagerly attacked one. Only to found out I had no spells, no weapon... Then I recalled, I did read about it, I should go to my corpse first, duh! Died second time.

OK got to my corpse, got my stuff back, buffed up and I was ready. Finally!

Bat! My level. Easy peasy if I can reach him. Snake, my level, killed both. Then next snake, running away, I was chasing it when some player fly by me.

Come to find out, it was not a player, but some bloodlust Bixie Drone. I started to run toward the guards. Little problem was, I had no clue where guards were. Can I outrun it? I tried, running some one minute or so. Who knows where. Then he cougth me. Third death.

After that I'm standing next to guards, thinking what to do next. Corpse is who knows where... Someone probably noticed my struggles and he traded me nice, blue pair of gloves. (I wrote your name down, good soul, will try to pay back some time in the future).

Gloves looks nice. No way I was going to search for my corpse miles away. I would die again and lose gloves. (at that time I didn't know if there is bank around or where it would be) So I created new toon, that guard killed on the spot for right clicking on him. One day i will be back and then this guard will see all the marbles!

Then I ran out of playing time. Can my first toon send gloves via email to second toon? Or is there a way to share items through bank slot? In the mean time I found bank, so i can save gloves in it, if I decide to go search my corpse with first toon. But bare hands, no food/drink for regens, not knowing where I died, I'm not that inclined to go this route.

Anyway, fun start lol I will remember this one :-)

p.s.
Have some tweaking to do. Computer completely froze solid during the game. Only reset helped. That's not good, can add to my deaths count, so i need to experiment and figure out how to get more stable system.

p.p.s.
I see (you tube video) some players have compass at top of the screen. I need to get one, first priority. (or are those videos from blue server, is compass available on green server?)

LOL this is hilarious! Congrats on those experiences, and welcome to the game newbie!

Izmael
04-18-2020, 03:12 AM
This is Skatr gnome 20 years later. Please post more of your adventures.

Tnair
04-18-2020, 09:35 AM
Best race for a rogue?

Obviously dark elf.

Green was created so more people could be dark elves, even those too unfashionable to choose it at character select. Your character select screen will always know what race you REALLY are. And who wants to suddenly be revealed as a halfling while screenshots are being taken of your epic Kedge battle? No one. How embarrassing.

Some people will tell you halflings are best but those people are horrible, jolly, honey-smeared double-chinned jelly rolls sprinkled with flowers.

Some people will tell you Barbarian for the access to throwing boulders. Which, to be fair, are pretty cool...but not cool enough.

In all seriousness, though, the best race is always the one you like looking at the most. Everything else can be adjusted as you go. Except for being a halfling. Nothing can ever erase that shame.

pivo
04-18-2020, 11:14 AM
There is no way a halfling druid is KOS in Rivervale or Misty. Really, at level 1, you should be doing some newbie quests from the Druid guild to deliver food and such to the guards. That will level you up to 2 without risk, THEN you can go out into Misty.

Create a macro key for Sense Heading and mash it at all times (or map to a movement key, but that is an advanced technique). By constantly mashing the Sense Heading macro, even while sitting, you should be able to max the skill out (200) by level 4. That skill can save your bacon for corpse runs and just getting familiar with zones.

Create a macro called LOC that does a /LOC ... the first number is North/South, the second number is East/West. For East/West, negative numbers are to the East, which seems backwards to most people I would think.

Yeah I probably pushed autoattack also, don't know I'm clumsy player ;)

Quests, I couldn't find/start them at first. I didn't know, I need to type back what is in square brackets.

There is one quest, Deputy Tagil, a life saver, gives 1platina potion every so often. I now have two toons (blue & green server), lvl 3 & 4 and I have all the spells for lvl5 already thanks to this quest. Also, killing is now easy, haven't die since...

I set up sense heading and /loc, thank you for all the tips. These coordinates are killing me. Spent over 30 minutes tried to find one deputy by knowing it's coordinates and still couldn't find him. lol But knowing where is N-S-W-E will be helpful!

pivo
04-18-2020, 11:17 AM

Thank you, this link helped! I'm mostly moving with mouse, but I set one arrow key for it and while running using mouse, I'm strafing a little bit with the arrow leveling up. Works great in my case

Geomance22
04-18-2020, 11:45 AM
im gonna say in practice ranger is the simplest, at high level you're like a rogue without backstab

pivo
04-18-2020, 11:54 AM
The one I prefer is called ZLiz as it uses the old EQAtlas maps which just look better.

I'll leave it to the Linux nerds to explain if it can be done with your setup though, I don't know. :(

Got it to work in Linux! Thank you so much! Well it crashed after few seconds, but it properly marked my location. So even if it constantly crashes, if I can run it for a few seconds, to figure out approximately where I'm, and what is around me, that's all I really need. I ran it on blue, but I'm assuming it is OK to use it on green also? (since only reads logs, and plots outside of the game)

pivo
04-18-2020, 12:07 PM
LOL this is hilarious! Congrats on those experiences, and welcome to the game newbie!

Thanks, another funny thing happened. My first toon on green (now deleted) I named: 'Onlyhalffull', to play a kinda word joke on a Halfling. As it died who knows where, and I was without starting weapon, I created second toon. With similar (half) name, but referring to the other half.

I'm just running a quest, leveling up, when (my first ever in this game) 'Tell' pops up, someone grinning, saying: "I just saw a corpse, with the name, perfect match to your name." He-he, my corpse, no wonder ;) So we both laughed.

Anyway, this nice fella (not sure about naming policy here) ended up helping me transfer one nice pair of gloves I got as a gift when I was struggling and someone must of felt sorry for me. (well I felt sorry for myself at that time as well, couldn't stay alive lol) ... from "other" toon, so I could delete it afterward. Thank you kind stranger!

Btw, at that time, yesterday, I still didn't know how to properly log off from the game. I tried Ctrl-x before and other shortcuts, but I didn't know I need to sit down first. Blue server has nice button for it, but I started on green. So I had to ask this nice fella, how you log out of the game. Before i was just killing the window.

pivo
04-18-2020, 12:14 PM
This is Skatr gnome 20 years later. Please post more of your adventures.

Wau, that's dedication! :D

OK will do, since my clumsiness will get me in some kind of trouble sooner or later. ;)

(edit)
Note to myself, during battle, make sure you are targeting yourself, before starting to heal!

Jibartik
04-18-2020, 02:44 PM
"So I eagerly attacked one. Only to found out I had no spells, no weapon... "

May become my sig :o

Edit: One of my favorite things about everquest is most games say they are "Easy to learn, difficult to master"...

Everquest is the opposite, it's easy to master, but extremely difficult to learn, and that is a big part of what makes Norrath feel like a "real universe" to me, opposed to all the other MMO's I play that feel like, online games.

You see people wearing armor or doing something cool or a race class combo that you couldn't pick and you're just like "What in the heck is that?!"... nobody tells you, there are no hints, go find it.

Octopath
04-18-2020, 05:51 PM
What about a wood or half elf for a rogue?

Jimjam
04-19-2020, 02:44 AM
Wau, that's dedication! :D

OK will do, since my clumsiness will get me in some kind of trouble sooner or later. ;)

(edit)
Note to myself, during battle, make sure you are targeting yourself, before starting to heal!

Press tab to toggle between targeting yourself and your previous target.

Tnair
04-19-2020, 08:33 AM
What about a wood or half elf for a rogue?

Wood elves can forage and iirc have Infravision. Half-elves can't see well, and are otherwise noteworthy for having the worst hats. Half elves can start in many different cities, and might have better stamina? Which, for rogue, basically STR followed by HP as a distant second are your only really important stats. Stamina gives real bad returns for rogues (for example my +2 stamina earring at level 20 gives me.. +3 hp) AGI is okay for survivability, as it adds straight AC and also when you're encumbered OR heavily wounded you receive an agi penalty. The higher your starting agi, the more cushion you have to still be able to run away and not get hit so hard. DEX is nice for crafting and okay for procs, but procs are double-edged in that many of them will draw unwanted aggro at random times.

I'd say pick your favorite city/rogue's guild/people to belong to, and go with that.

...except halfling.

Jimjam
04-19-2020, 09:27 AM
Barbarians rogues get throwing boulders. Synergises well with their ability to crit on throw.

Geomance22
04-19-2020, 10:05 AM
anyone picking a rogue thats not barb will regret it later

Evia
04-19-2020, 10:18 AM
Best race stat wise if you're a min max kinda person is Barbarian or Dwarf.
tbh though, pick what looks best to you. it's so minimal at 60 that if you hate the look of your character I think that's worse than having optimal stats.

As a Wood Elf rogue with really shitty str and sta at start, I still manage to cap my str and sit at 220~ sta when fully buffed and i'm not in raid gear.
had I chosen Dwarf or Barbarian I may have capped my sta and had some more hp but I wouldn't have had the golden flowing elven locks....

Izmael
04-19-2020, 10:19 AM
I can't possibly imagine playing a barb rogue.

No matter how good they are, slam or boulders or whatever. A sneaky rogue and barbarian just don't mix.

Shouldn't be allowed as class/race combo really.

greenspectre
04-19-2020, 10:29 AM
I don't think anybody has yet mentioned it and your posts suggest you don't have knowledge of it, but the game has a mechanic that allows you to determine the relative strength of an NPC. Right-click or press "C" when you have an NPC selected and you will receive a "consider" message. The color of the text indicates the monster's level relative to yours:

Red = 3 or more levels above
Yellow = 1-2 levels above
White = equal to your level
Blue = 1-4 levels below
Green = 5 or less below

I would stay away from yellows as a solo player with no experience. Some classes can take on yellows, but it requires time, patience, and usually class mastery. By level 10, even white-con mobs are probably a no-go. Greens typically give no experience.

Also, you will receive other information when you consider a mob, namely your faction with that mob. Pay attention to how the mob "looks at you". If it's "scowls at you, ready to attack" or "glares at you threateningly" then the mob will attack you if you get close. Anything else is safe, though merchants that "glower at you dubiously" will not sell or trade with you.

So in summation, keep your distance and use "C" before deciding whether or not to engage a mob and you will save yourself SO many deaths.

Jibartik
04-19-2020, 03:14 PM
I can't possibly imagine playing a barb rogue.

No matter how good they are, slam or boulders or whatever. A sneaky rogue and barbarian just don't mix.

Shouldn't be allowed as class/race combo really.

https://i.imgur.com/O7Hv4td.png

Izmael
04-19-2020, 03:56 PM
Conan is obviously a warrior. Wields badass 2 handers that split enemies in two.

Jibartik
04-19-2020, 04:32 PM
Conan is obviously a warrior. Wields badass 2 handers that split enemies in two.

You dont get to rewrite howards character! :o

Nycon43
04-19-2020, 07:05 PM
Literally deleted and rerolled my Barb rogue into a Wood Elf, no regrets. Can cap out str no prob with my shitty gear.

Tnair
04-20-2020, 12:32 PM
Barbarians rogues get throwing boulders. Synergises well with their ability to crit on throw.

downside here is choosing your entire future flavor/look based on an uncommon drop off of giants only found inside Perma/SolB, or the three perma-camped spawned outside Perma. without doing any math I also suspect a 36dmg throwing crit will not do THAT much more damage than a 50+ bow without crit, like if it does 2x the damage it won't be anywhre close to worth it

Geomance22
04-20-2020, 12:45 PM
Botb winner on red was a barb boulder rogue and he was crushing people

boulders are underrated but I dont know if there are discipline mechanics that enchance boulder damage or crits

its pretty insane from what I remember seeing on red where the OP shit tends to surface more obviously

Zeboim
04-20-2020, 03:17 PM
downside here is choosing your entire future flavor/look based on an uncommon drop off of giants only found inside Perma/SolB, or the three perma-camped spawned outside Perma. without doing any math I also suspect a 36dmg throwing crit will not do THAT much more damage than a 50+ bow without crit, like if it does 2x the damage it won't be anywhre close to worth it

Those things drop like candy, no idea what you're talking about.

Appearance etc is entirely moot for Rogues due to guise.

Jimjam
04-20-2020, 03:28 PM

It's not the only reason.

Boob tubes.

Kilts.

Polar bear hats.

Jibartik
04-20-2020, 05:50 PM
I thought in PVP throwing boulders in EQ could do huge damage with crits and discs no? Can they hit another player for over 1k? No idea but I wouldn't be surprised if there was something there.

Geomance22
04-20-2020, 06:53 PM
I thought in PVP throwing boulders in EQ could do huge damage with crits and discs no? Can they hit another player for over 1k? No idea but I wouldn't be surprised if there was something there.

I'll admit im surprised not a single data nerd has taken the opportunity to explain just how good boulders are with disc, it's not in character of this forum

Jibartik
04-20-2020, 10:38 PM
I'll admit im surprised not a single data nerd has taken the opportunity to explain just how good boulders are with disc, it's not in character of this forum

Haha I thought, wait that's a good point:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135020

edit: damages from the R.I.Pieces tiny url pic

Id like to add guess who's there? Of course Nirgon lol While we learned to play on this server were you born on it (https://youtu.be/8BeG1UbaV-Q?t=16)?

Tnair
04-21-2020, 09:45 AM
Botb winner on red was a barb boulder rogue and he was crushing people

boulders are underrated but I dont know if there are discipline mechanics that enchance boulder damage or crits

its pretty insane from what I remember seeing on red where the OP shit tends to surface more obviously

That makes sense, I was imagining entirely from my bluebie experience. I can see a time when you'd want fast ranged damage that approximated bad melee dps for your level

*but*

What is this disc that you would use for throwing boulders?

Counterattack Discipline--Allows you to perfectly time your counter attacks, riposting every incoming blow.
Deadeye Discipline--Focuses your vision on you opponent, vastly increasing your hit rate.
Nimble Discipline--Increases your combat reflexes, allowing you to avoid most attacks.-
Kinesthetics Discipline--Increases your combat sense, allowing you to dual wield and double attack every round.-
Blinding Speed Discipline--Focuses energy into your arms, increasing your attack speed.
Duelist Discipline--Increase the damage done by all of your melee attacks. [100% increase]

None of these look great for using on Throwing rather then on melee, I guess if you combined Blinding Speed and Duelist (does Duelist even affect ranged? it says 'melee' damage, whether that means 'not spell damage' or 'melee combat' idk) together you could throw them pretty fast (21 delay? https://thesafehouse.org/forums/forum/everquest-wing/main-lounge/36492-deadeye-vs-blinding-speed) for the afore-quoted ~200 damage on your crits?

It's been a very long time since I've grouped with a 55+ rogue, and even longer since I've been one, but iirc by 59 you're very easily doing 200+ damage per "attack round" of 2-4 hits, and faster than 21 delay for sure, without backstabs and without having to be behind the target for your crits to fire, and without spell haste or disc.

I know posts like this can trigger peeps' AnGeR At ThE nEwBs but I'm not trying to argue that I'm right. Rather than evidence "against you", above is just my experience. I'd love someone to describe for me a time they used Throwing Boulders as a rogue rather than melee. Why did you and how did it go? Extra points if the answer is "because it was hella fun"

Snaggles
04-21-2020, 09:52 AM
OP asks for an easy solo class. People mostly talk about rogues for 11 pages.

Goodness...no. God no. There are easy classes who can also solo with little to no gear:
Shaman or Druid would be my picks. Good races so easier travel even. Both get SoW.

Tnair
04-21-2020, 09:54 AM
Those things drop like candy, no idea what you're talking about.

talking about the wiki entries, which list Throwing Boulders as Uncommon to Ultra Rare except for being listed as Common off the ice giant diplomat only

if they drop a lot more in your experience, about how many giants/hours would you say it takes to gather one stack of 20 boulders?

Tnair
04-21-2020, 10:38 AM

Goodness...no. God no. There are easy classes who can also solo with little to no gear:
Shaman or Druid would be my picks. Good races so easier travel even. Both get SoW.

may have gotten a little off topic........yeah

Izmael
04-21-2020, 11:25 AM

So untrue.

You and the people around you will have to stare at your real appearance
1. Char selection secreen
2. Every time you zone
3. Every time you get illusion dispelled
4. Every time you forget to refresh your illusion
6. Every time you get ressed
7-10000. <exercice for the reader>

Also you will also appear as your real race on /who all

Mask is nice like fake tits are nice.

HandOfFate
04-21-2020, 06:01 PM
Wizard > Mage > Rogue

For Wizard: Wait till mob is at 25-50% /stand > /cast nuke > /sit.

For Mage, all you do is /assist > /pet Attack > Nuke at 50%. On raids you sit there and summon sticks.

Rogue: /assist > /attack on > backstab. CR can take skill in certain zones.

None of these take a lick of skill.

vanix
04-23-2020, 06:34 AM
Combat bind wound + lava + hours and hours = what 50 health a tick regen with 200 skill in bw? = monk soloing 101 amirgt?
Back to wall under 50% health double fungi regen anyway max skill

Vaarsuvius
04-23-2020, 08:24 AM
Wizard > Mage > Rogue

For Mage, all you do is /assist > /pet Attack > Nuke at 50%. On raids you sit there and summon sticks.

Yeah, looks like you have played a mage for a long time :)
I won't claim it's rocket science, but there's a bit more to playing a Mage than your description could have one think.
I must be doing it wrong because reading the job description it's so obvious I should be 60 by now.

What about debuffs ? you know mages get some, don't you ? that thing some pepole cast to help other party members land spells (like slow) on mobs. But you can't cast them too early to avoid aggro, but no too late either.

what about keeping a DS on MT at all time ? yeah ok that's 2 clicks but this free dmg can add up real fast when you spend a couple hours in a camp.

what about knowing which of your 5/4/3 pets is the best suited vs the mob you're killing when soloing. Guess you have to try/ die & learn

What about chain casting, have you ever tried to do it vs a mob that will kill you within seconds if there isn't a pet between you and him ?

What about getting in range of mobs to get hit to avoid you pet dying, just long enough to land a heal on your pet but no too long to avoid low hp aggro.

BTW, we mages can't slow/ snare & kite/ fear kite/ root/ root & rot mobs, we just have to send buffed pet and nuke/ DoT

Damn, those mages really are the easiest class to play....

If I was an AH, I could also write Clerics are easy to play, but I won't because I know squat about them

/target MT
/cast heal
/sit
/gems

Playing a shaman can't be hard, can it ?
/target MT & melee dps
/cast buffs & haste or /cast group buff
/assist MT
/slow mob
/canni

or when you solo
/slow mob
/send pet
/root
/cast DoTs
/canni
/profit

Did I forget something about those slackers ? :p

No offense meant in my answer, but each class may appear as a stupid easy one to play, but I don't think there is one.

GnomeCaptain
04-23-2020, 08:29 PM
Wizard > Mage > Rogue

All you've pointed out is that bad and amateurish play doesn't take a "lick of skill."

pivo
04-24-2020, 10:45 AM

That way I learned that Rouges are not for me ;)

I have now Druid and Magician and for now I will play these two. Maybe some time later I may check out Shaman. With 3 toons, I will be busy for years lol

pivo
04-24-2020, 10:50 AM
I don't think anybody has yet mentioned it and your posts suggest you don't have knowledge of it, but the game has a mechanic that allows you to determine the relative strength of an NPC.

Red = 3 or more levels above
Yellow = 1-2 levels above
White = equal to your level
Blue = 1-4 levels below
Green = 5 or less below

Also, you will receive other information when you consider a mob, namely your faction with that mob. Pay attention to how the mob "looks at you". If it's "scowls at you, ready to attack" or "glares at you threateningly" then the mob will attack you if you get close. Anything else is safe, though merchants that "glower at you dubiously" will not sell or trade with you.

Thank you, yes it was confusing at start. I didn't realized that colors were defining a range not a single level.

I'm assuming, same (colors) goes for magician pet. (playing now magician also) No other way to figure out the pet level, correct? If I /con it and it is yellow I'm OK ;-) (until I level up)

pivo
04-24-2020, 10:55 AM
... What about debuffs ? you know mages get some, don't you ?

what about keeping a DS on MT at all time ?

what about knowing which of your 5/4/3 pets is the best suited vs the mob you're killing when soloing.

What about chain casting, have you ever tried to do it vs a mob that will kill you within seconds if there isn't a pet between you and him ?

What about getting in range of mobs to get hit to avoid you pet dying, just long enough to land a heal on your pet but no too long to avoid low hp aggro...

Oh boy, what I got myself into, since I now have Magician also. :eek: Seems like it can get quite complicated. For now, very first levels, I like it, even better than Druid. I will level them both up to some 10-12 and see which one I like better then. This may take me few months looks like lol.

pivo
04-24-2020, 11:12 AM
Reading these forums, sometimes I see something like, I used platina from my first toon to gear up my second toon...

How do you transfer platina from one toon to another? Dropping it on the floor if both toons are in the same spot and log off/on may work I guess if you go to a hidden spot lol, but is there any other way. Say you want to transfer platina or some item between two low levels toons that can't travel yet, how do you do it? If you are new player, have no friends to be a middle man.

Does in game mail works? Probably not. So how you guys are doing it?

ldgo86
04-24-2020, 11:31 AM
Reading these forums, sometimes I see something like, I used platina from my first toon to gear up my second toon...

How do you transfer platina from one toon to another? Dropping it on the floor if both toons are in the same spot and log off/on may work I guess if you go to a hidden spot lol, but is there any other way. Say you want to transfer platina or some item between two low levels toons that can't travel yet, how do you do it? If you are new player, have no friends to be a middle man.

One way is to buy gems that can be sold back for a price very close to what you purchased them for, I guess you could drop transfer those.

But if you needed to transfer your 150p or something to another toon.. ask a high level member of a reputed guild to pass it to another character.

Vaarsuvius
04-24-2020, 02:19 PM
Nah, you picked a caster
You can't go wrong. More so since Mages get to have monk, warrior, wizards and rogue pets post 50 😁

You only need to worry about some of this stuff in groups and at higher levels. 90-95% of mobs before 50 don't live long enough for you to waste mana on debuffs

Mages are not complicated once you've died a couple times because you went pew pew pew a little too much / too early for your pet to maintain aggro on mob 😁

First rule of Mages is always keep your pet buffed: DS or use fire pet which comes with a fantastic built in DS, burnout, expedience/ velocity).
If you loot some 2 handed weapon, you might want to give one to your pet, you'll notice it will hit harder with it
watch your aggro,
watch your pet's health, it's your only defense/ main offense
Don't run out of reagents to summon pets in the middle of nowhere... Yeah, been there, done that. You will feel like an ass and waste time gating to a vendor & porting back where you want to grind

There's no shame in fleeing/ running/ Gating 😁 if your pet's dead, you likely soon will too

If you like pets and Mages, you also should like playing a necro who will have a lot more tools / spells/ abilities than Mages do

Druids/ necros can solo much better than Mages

Most of all, enjoy your character, whatever class & race you pick

Welcome to Blue BTW 😁

billwilliams
04-24-2020, 05:20 PM
Necro is most OP and easy/simple class to play in classic.

FireDots + LifeTaps + VampEmbrace can't be resisted and you start with OP pet at level 1 + Gear doesnt matter that much outside of stacking your HP/Mana pool a bit + start with mana regen spell from level 8 that eventually beats clarity + OP snare and eventually root too!

Lev+SeeInvis+Ultravision all in 1 spell + FD to get out of most deaths (keep cloudy pots in your inventory to get up and out of dungeons/some parts of planes) + invis spells to both dead/undead

Up until 20 use fast dagger + vamp embrace + lifetaps to own everything in sight - After that just stick to fire dots/snares + lifetaps + fear and pet damage to ride easy XP to 50

pivo
04-25-2020, 10:46 AM
Necro is most OP and easy/simple class to play in classic.

... and you start with OP pet at level 1 +

Your post got me intrigued, since you wrote down what spells to use, which is usually my problem, finding out, which spells to use and which ones to avoid.

I picked a Gnome, since I already know a little bit the area, (leveling Gnome Magician) and I didn't want hostile toon for most of the world. I put 15 points to Int and 15 to stamina.

Is there really a pet at level 1? If so, how do you get it?

Maybe that's why I have the roughest start so far. Or something was bugged with my computer, IDK got killed 4-5 times before I manged to kill first time. Then at spawning point, got killed again by Zondo Hyzill. I just seems to can't stay alive. ;) Someone buffed me at druid circle and I got killed again. That Necro starting leach spell didn't seem to help, my stabbings were mostly misses...

I restarted computer and it looked like it may be better, I killed two skeletons fairly easy, so maybe was something glitched before. Later today I will try again, to see if I can finally get to lvl 2 lol but comparing to Magician, Magician was cake wake vs this Necro so far.

But, as I mentioned before, I'm very very bad and clumsy player. Who knows, I may of put that leach spell on me, sometimes I do mess up a target when trying to heal (as Druid for example) way too often I heal or buff with stone skin my attackers lol Too much clicking and tabbing confuses me, like I said, very bad, old, clumsy player. :D

Will try again later, but I'm wondering, did I miss somewhere pet spell at lvl1?

Taiku
04-25-2020, 11:07 AM
Your post got me intrigued, since you wrote down what spells to use, which is usually my problem, finding out, which spells to use and which ones to avoid.

I picked a Gnome, since I already know a little bit the area, (leveling Gnome Magician) and I didn't want hostile toon for most of the world. I put 15 points to Int and 15 to stamina.

Is there really a pet at level 1? If so, how do you get it?

Maybe that's why I have the roughest start so far. Or something was bugged with my computer, IDK got killed 4-5 times before I manged to kill first time. Then at spawning point, got killed again by Zondo Hyzill. I just seems to can't stay alive. ;) Someone buffed me at druid circle and I got killed again. That Necro starting leach spell didn't seem to help, my stabbings were mostly misses...

I restarted computer and it looked like it may be better, I killed two skeletons fairly easy, so maybe was something glitched before. Later today I will try again, to see if I can finally get to lvl 2 lol but comparing to Magician, Magician was cake wake vs this Necro so far.

But, as I mentioned before, I'm very very bad and clumsy player. Who knows, I may of put that leach spell on me, sometimes I do mess up a target when trying to heal (as Druid for example) way too often I heal or buff with stone skin my attackers lol Too much clicking and tabbing confuses me, like I said, very bad, old, clumsy player. :D

Will try again later, but I'm wondering, did I miss somewhere pet spell at lvl1?

https://wiki.project1999.com/Necromancer#Spells

can click the spells to see which vendors sell it under "where to obtain" you'll need to bash some skellys for bone chips to summon the pet once you buy the spell ^^

pivo
04-25-2020, 11:16 AM
https://wiki.project1999.com/Necromancer#Spells

can click the spells to see which vendors sell it under "where to obtain" you'll need to bash some skellys for bone chips to summon the pet once you buy the spell ^^

Cavorting Bones Summon Skeleton Warrior, Level 1.

OMG, there IS a pet at level1!!! No wonder I have a problems. I have few bone chips, did kill some skeletons already, ok this will be fun, thanks! :D

pivo
04-25-2020, 10:06 PM
O yeah, much different now, that I have a pet. Was without a shield, without any buffs, I was chatting, when I was attacked by yellow coyote. This time I didn't have to run, I already like this Necro ;-)

Danth
04-26-2020, 01:08 PM

Eh? You have a friend transfer it for you. This is not a single player game in spite of the fair size sub-population who seems to treat it as such.

Danth

Jibartik
04-26-2020, 01:17 PM
I was gonna say druid but now people like, use druids to solo pull hate and the spore king and log onto other characters, so man Im going to say that sounds like maybe the hardest class to play haha

magnetaress
04-26-2020, 02:38 PM
I was gonna say druid but now people like, use druids to solo pull hate and the spore king and log onto other characters, so man Im going to say that sounds like maybe the hardest class to play haha

u could do the same thing with a wiz

greenspectre
04-26-2020, 02:47 PM
Thank you, yes it was confusing at start. I didn't realized that colors were defining a range not a single level.

I'm assuming, same (colors) goes for magician pet. (playing now magician also) No other way to figure out the pet level, correct? If I /con it and it is yellow I'm OK ;-) (until I level up)

Yes, con will determine the relative strength of your pet when you first level into a new rank of pets, but eventually they turn blue and then the only way to tell is to see what it hits for. Pay attention to what the max damage hit on your pet is, as the highest level pet you can summon generally hits for 2 or so more max.

Also, give your pet the highest damage rusty 2-hander you can find. Pets can hold weapons, and they ignore the delay but DO get a bonus for the damage. So a 9-damage rusty halberd will make your pet hit for up to 18 per swing.

Jibartik
04-26-2020, 03:49 PM
u could do the same thing with a wiz

Didn't loging out wipe detrimental spells in the olden p99 days? Are people able to do this now because of a change? Or has it always been like this?

magnetaress
04-26-2020, 04:18 PM
Didn't loging out wipe detrimental spells in the olden p99 days? Are people able to do this now because of a change? Or has it always been like this?

I noticed it's been kinda buggy from memory. Snare n roots seemed to always behave this way here AFAICR. Not sure if classic.

ewjax
04-27-2020, 10:23 AM
Also, give your pet the highest damage rusty 2-hander you can find. Pets can hold weapons, and they ignore the delay but DO get a bonus for the damage. So a 9-damage rusty halberd will make your pet hit for up to 18 per swing.

Tagging on to this comment with a little more detail:

Pet damage with weapons = the higher of
- their innate damage value (depends on pet level)
- whatever weapon you give them will be 2*damage + 1

That 9 damage weapon will hit for a max of 19 points every swing.

If you and your pet are high enough level that the pet hits for more than 19 already, giving the pet a weapon will have no effect.

pivo
05-02-2020, 06:23 PM

That is useful! First I forgot I can give pet a weapon. And if I would recalled, I would just create one with the spell, I didn't know I can give them a 'real' weapon. And that only damage counts. Great, pet is now even better ;-)

pivo
05-02-2020, 06:24 PM
Tagging on to this comment with a little more detail:

Pet damage with weapons = the higher of
- their innate damage value (depends on pet level)
- whatever weapon you give them will be 2*damage + 1

That 9 damage weapon will hit for a max of 19 points every swing.

If you and your pet are high enough level that the pet hits for more than 19 already, giving the pet a weapon will have no effect.

So much useful info I'm getting here, thanks!

pivo
05-02-2020, 07:59 PM
This game is brutal!!! Is there somewhere available some basic statistic about the game? There is how much time I played total so far. What about how many times I died? I bet I'm topping this metric. I must of have died over 100 times total for 4 toons: mage gnome lvl 8, druid1 half elf lvl 6, druid2 wood elf lvl 6 and Necro gnome lvl 6.

So I'm at very start and I died way over 100 times. Easy. This must be some kind of record. Many times because of my mistake. But several times because this game hates me! :)

"ouch, forgot to 'con' it and right this one has to be much higher level"

I learned what 'social monsters' means. I learned that not all skeletons are skeletons. Dwarf Skeletons are a little bit different that Decaying for example. First one you attack, from second one you run lol.

About brutal game. I'm minding my own business, killing skeletons and yelp something, can't recall the name, when one attacked me from the back, while I was dealing with the other one. Social thing. I was glad at first, cool, will not need to hunt him down. But when I saw my HP going down to fast, I realized it was probably a yellow. I had speed buff on me and, as clumsy as I am, I somehow remembered anyway, to throw a snare at him. *patting on my back* Then I ran. It was pitch dark. About the direction I was heading, I had the idea, but wasn't sure.

As I'm running I recalled someone here on this forums mentioned: "Shift-T" to look back. And since I was fast and who knows maybe snare even did stick, I may risk a look over the shoulder. So I did. He was nowhere to be seen, but it was very dark and my (running) body was in the way. So I'm manipulating mouse to see if I can spot him somewhere behind me. Well, I could not see him, so I probably had quite a good distance between him and me. (good, I'm finally getting better...) then BANG! Looks like I run over some hill and fell of the clip. And died. Again! Can you believe it?!? What a stupid way to die. Yep, there has to be some record in my dying!

So I went back to try to find the body (area between GF and Kaladim). I was searching for hours and could not locate it. I died several times. I couldn't resist, bone chips... But every so often I ran into yellow or some non social distancing between monsters, or some other trouble. So I called it a day.

Next day same story. After about another hour or two I recalled that necromancer has some finding corpse spell. So I switched and tried with Necro. Well there are just too many bodies around, I was keep coming to the same ones. Some were there from yesterday. Why are players not pickling up their bodies? I knew I had fallen of something, so I was climbing on top of the hills, just to fell of one and got killed again! Boy, I'm dying like no tomorrow.

Well at least this time was easier to locate body. By clicking on myself, necro's spell quickly found it. Based on how much I'm being killed, Necro may be best suitable for me, for that reason, to easy find my own corpse.

Well after few hours (not exaggerating) I gave up. I called for help in the guild. Some also new player, lvl6 bard helped me (bless his soul). Well his soul was also happier for 5 platina. I gave him what I had, I was so happy I finally got my corpse back. Even Bard had trouble finding it. First he was not experienced, he just got that spell, and second, corpse was not on the ground!!! It was floating way up, at that cliff I fell over. I would NEVER found it there.

Since corpse generally has no business floating and levitating, I technically didn't fell down. Means I technically shouldn't die! So how come I did?!? Where can I get refund? lol

Boy, two days of searching for my corpse, I was probably killed way over 10 times during this time, so most of the time I was running back from my spawn point back into this area. The really annoying thing is keep putting spells back into spell bar. Then I once saw 'save spells' after right clicking on it. I was so happy! How come I didn't noticed this before? Just to get cold shower about a half an hour later, when I was resurrected again at spawn point again. Click didn't go through. And again! What in the world?!? Then I saw the msg. I wanted to cry lol

Anyway, I started with new Druid, since first one (Half Elf) was getting really slow. After every attack I needed to sit down for 2-3 minutes to replenish my empty mana bar. And I droped from lvl 6 to lvl 5 few times. That Misty something on the other side of the wall is just not easy for me. Attack, then wait few minutes. This is booooring, comparing to my mage or necro, who can keep play most of the time. I just sit and use pet while meditating and I'm happy with only 50% XP at that time, so game goes on, and it is fun.

With this Druid, I can read a book while waiting on mana. And somehow I wanted to play the game, not read the book... :) I understand at lvl 8 I get meditating skill, but it would take forever and be quite boring to get to lvl 8. I worried if things don't improve I will only play mage and necro.

Because of this, I decided to roll another Druid, the one I can level up low levels with turn ins. And yes, if was easy. First killing skeletons and harvesting bone chips until lvl 4 (well and you know, keep running back from spawn point) ;-) then I used those bone chips to level to 6! Now I'm harvesting those belts with mage to level druid to lvl 8. Then I will get meditate and it will get better.

Good plan, if I wouldn't lost my corpse for TWO darned days.

I love this game, but boy it is brutal! And considering I'm very bad, clumsy player, you can get the picture.

Do I have fun? You bet!
Lots of nice players in the game also! I can see, how some of you can stick with it for so long.

pivo
05-04-2020, 07:49 AM
Since my mage gnome was so successful in leveling up from 6 to 8 while looting orc belts, I though I would repeat the same for my lvl 6 necro gnome. I got somewhere half way into GF when Faerie Duches attacked me and it was red to me. Interesting, I though this is starting zone, didn't have a clue there are so high level monsters flying around.

Some high level Druid buffed me with SOW and I didn't want to lose it. So I was running toward zone. My plan was to hit the wall, then just follow it until I spot the entrance. Well, there are too many trees and by dodging them I was running in circles instead of straight line, since I never hit the wall. Then I spot the guard. Good, he will help me! I ran toward him and BAM! He killed me. So much for good plan :)

Now that's just injustice! I'm a GOOD necro, gnome necro, everyone likes gnomes!

So I come back, carefully avoiding one guard to try to find my corpse. When BAM! some guard sneaks behind me and kills me again.

No wonder, players are killing these corrupt blood-lust guards, when they level up. I will too, one day! Revenge will be sweet...

Jimjam
05-04-2020, 08:17 AM
Haha, I love how you’ve hammered some RP out of that situation instead of getting too mad.

Delekhan
05-04-2020, 09:20 AM
All EQ classes are easy to play, really. EQ is about mastering the mechanics, so it's knowledge based. Pick a class that suits your playstyle. Sounds like from the OP's preference to solo, stick with Mage, Necro, Enchanter, Monk, Druid, Shaman or Bard I would say. Avoid tanks, cleric, rogue, those kinds of classes require grouping, have severe limitations, and are better for more experienced players focused on the more challenging content.

Chinetter
05-04-2020, 07:47 PM
Since my mage gnome was so successful in leveling up from 6 to 8 while looting orc belts, I though I would repeat the same for my lvl 6 necro gnome.

Since you're on Faydwer, I'll share how I learned the other day about this thing called "faction" and how it can actually lead to difficult corpse runs....

I decided that my mid-teens wood elf ranger should try to kill a certain named mob in Lesser Faydark which drops a rather nice (for the level) bow. Reading the wiki I learn that the mob's placeholders are a pixie trickster or a pixie. No problem, I can kill those easily and oh boy do I love this "tracking" skill that rangers have, this situation seems like a great deployment of it.

Also in that wiki entry is a vague reference to how killing pixies would harm my faction. Didn't say which faction or why I should care. And since I'd been happily slaying Crushbone orcs and other things without yet having to worry about all those "can't possibly get any worse" messages after each kill, I kept on not worrying about it.

Parked myself in the right area of Lesser Faydark, tracked pixie tricksters, started whacking them to get the named mob to spawn. It's going fine until....suddenly something has just smacked me for like 95 a swing, four times in no time, and I'm standing naked back at my spawn point. What the what just happened???

Turns out that Lesser Faydark is patrolled by a thing called a brownie scout. I'd seen them go by, tiny little things, looked harmless so I paid them no mind and they'd ignored me. But guess what, they share faction with the pixies. And by killing all those pixies I'd made myself KOS to the brownie scouts.

They turn out to be like a lvl 45 mob, and they're permanently SOWed as they patrol the zone, and by the way they see invis too! And they hit like a lvl 45 mob.

My first corpse run resulted in another death even with the tracking window up and being refreshed obsessively for me to carefully watch for the brownie scouts. And guess what half my stuff is on each corpse, aaarrgg.....Then it took another hour and the help of some kind high-level passers by to finally locate and reclaim both corpses.

The loss of experience actually forced me to re-ding a level, which I accepted as a stupidity tax. "This is how we learn...." And I'm still KOS to those roaming brownie scouts. So yes kids, faction can matter!

Bigsham
05-04-2020, 08:23 PM
Since my mage gnome was so successful in leveling up from 6 to 8 while looting orc belts, I though I would repeat the same for my lvl 6 necro gnome. I got somewhere half way into GF when Faerie Duches attacked me and it was red to me. Interesting, I though this is starting zone, didn't have a clue there are so high level monsters flying around.

Some high level Druid buffed me with SOW and I didn't want to lose it. So I was running toward zone. My plan was to hit the wall, then just follow it until I spot the entrance. Well, there are too many trees and by dodging them I was running in circles instead of straight line, since I never hit the wall. Then I spot the guard. Good, he will help me! I ran toward him and BAM! He killed me. So much for good plan :)

Now that's just injustice! I'm a GOOD necro, gnome necro, everyone likes gnomes!

So I come back, carefully avoiding one guard to try to find my corpse. When BAM! some guard sneaks behind me and kills me again.

No wonder, players are killing these corrupt blood-lust guards, when they level up. I will too, one day! Revenge will be sweet...

Couple days in CB and guards will see which side you are on, you can never gain un kos to the banker but you can bank through the window and sell at emerald warriors guild

DMN
05-05-2020, 01:08 PM
Simple = straightforward.
Easy = requiring little effort/energy.

Answer is prolly rogue. the most complicated thing you will have to do is make/press an assist hotkey.

Izmael
05-05-2020, 01:16 PM
Answer is prolly rogue.
Not really, at first aggro from a mob you cannot solo you're good for a corpse run.

Snaggles
05-05-2020, 01:45 PM
Another vote for druid.
Easy to solo. Easy to travel (plus port money). Tracking. Easy to group. Good race so less kill-on-sight problems.

I've never grouped with a druid who kept a DS on me nor had evac loaded so the bar is pretty low for a new player to meet.

DMN
05-05-2020, 01:51 PM
Not really, at first aggro from a mob you cannot solo you're good for a corpse run.

He didn't ask about soloing. Not in the OP anyways.

Izmael
05-05-2020, 02:12 PM
He didn't ask about soloing. Not in the OP anyways.

But he won't be running around 24/7 with friends. Even if you group for exp you spend a lot of time doing stuff on your own, getting around places. Rogue is kinda horrible in classic. It's like, the worst of all worlds.

Hard to beat if you want to press as few buttons as possible though.

DMN
05-05-2020, 02:38 PM
Actually he did mention it in his OP. not even sure how I missed it.

Pretty much any pet class will be "easy" and "simple", though it might not be optimal/most efficient to play them in the most simplistic fashion.

Bigsham
05-05-2020, 09:16 PM
rogue is the hardest classic class there is who would say that?

RecondoJoe
05-07-2020, 06:45 AM
If you don't mind grouping. Rogue is hands down the most mindless class to play. And I love it for that reason. So long as you're not dragging corpses...

You hit 1-3 buttons max
Attack
Backstab
Evade (paineel era)

Outside of that thrilling action you may be called upon to pick a door lock
1-2 clicks with a lock pick

And aformentioned the most intense part of playing a rogue is dragging corpses
Past lots of mean nasty monsters, hitting your /corpse hotkey

The cherry on top is Hide/Sneak as a rogue!
You can afk while these are active any place mobs won't path directly into you or see hide.

I think this is assuming that the Rogue has good gear from the start. I also for whatever reason was consistently responsible for doing all of the pulling in KC / Sebilis, and I always used pick pocket (and I think most rogues did) on COOL DOWN.

I would be lying if I said Rogue is hard to play, but after coming back for the first time in 20 years I regularly see legitimate new rogues getting out melee'd by casters, and I know from experience that Rogues can't solo anything. Meanwhile I've leveled a Druid to 30 in the last week, and have a level 20 Cleric that people beg to group with even though I'm wearing cloth and raw hide armor. This would literally never happen as a brand new Rogue.

Awesome once they get gear and have a group, but I would argue that if you are going to level a fresh character with no items or friends, that Rogue might be the hardest class in the entire game. Monk is almost certainly easier. If you make a mistake you literally press FD, and you can use bind wound + mend to be 100% hp in a jiffy while dealing respectable damage with bare fists and silk armor.

Barbados82
05-07-2020, 04:33 PM
I made a rogue because of this thread and I'm finding it very difficult to level up because people rarely ever want to group up. I'm getting out DPSed in the small chance that I get a group by most casters. Meanwhile, everyone is at the commons tunnel fluffing themselves and their loot making me feel like I joined this server late and missed the ride.

Evia
05-07-2020, 04:38 PM
I made a rogue because of this thread and I'm finding it very difficult to level up because people rarely ever want to group up. I'm getting out DPSed in the small chance that I get a group by most casters. Meanwhile, everyone is at the commons tunnel fluffing themselves and their loot making me feel like I joined this server late and missed the ride.

Rogue life is rough in classic, more so if it's your first character.
Come Kunark though that all changes with the epic + all the other great melee loot.

RecondoJoe
05-07-2020, 11:41 PM
Rogue life is rough in classic, more so if it's your first character.
Come Kunark though that all changes with the epic + all the other great melee loot.

I think Double Backstab made a big difference too, and I agree that Rogues were probably one of the best DPS classes in the entire game early expac because they had super easy access to their epics (I got my epic the same day I started the quest). Late Kunark I feel like Rogues started to fall off again because getting a decent off-hand was really hard. Like for instance, Warriors, Rangers and Monks who had their epics dealt pretty insane damage because of the off-hands that accompanied them. I was using a 10/21 blood point offhand for most of the expac and long after the warriors and rangers in my guild had access to a 14/24 and 13/21 with really good procs on them. I remember competing with my ranger for DPS in raids and consistently losing after he got his epic. Was really hard to get a better item on my server at the time and I spent months camping a sebilite croaking dirk and never got one, and being super jealous of all of the classes that got an off-hand as part of their epic quest.

pivo
05-09-2020, 09:09 PM
Parked myself in the right area of Lesser Faydark, tracked pixie tricksters, started whacking them to get the named mob to spawn. It's going fine until....suddenly something has just smacked me for like 95 a swing, four times in no time, and I'm standing naked back at my spawn point. What the what just happened???

Turns out that Lesser Faydark is patrolled by a thing called a brownie scout. I'd seen them go by, tiny little things, looked harmless so I paid them no mind and they'd ignored me. But guess what, they share faction with the pixies. And by killing all those pixies I'd made myself KOS to the brownie scouts.

They turn out to be like a lvl 45 mob, and they're permanently SOWed as they patrol the zone, and by the way they see invis too! And they hit like a lvl 45 mob.

Thank you, for sharing your story and experience. I will surely now stay away from those pixies :D

pivo
05-09-2020, 09:15 PM

I actually figure out, rouge would be very bad fit for me, from all the responses and one of the hardest classes to play, at least for me.

But look, you are not limited to one class. Try another. I'm playing 3. It is going really slow, but at least in my case, who cares, I'm in no hurry to level up. I may even start the 4th one. Maybe. Nah, better not lol :p

pivo
05-09-2020, 09:48 PM
Well, my initial question has been answered. The key points are: easy class for clumsy player, lots of solo, very occasional play time, bad player, player that is a danger to the others when grouping, when solo, danger to itself...

I'm playing 3 classes: Druid(9), Mage(8) and Necro(6) (was 7 but died too many times...)

These first levels, the easiest was Mage, next was Necro and the hardest was Druid. Why? Well I mention something about clumsy player, didn't I? :D You will not believe, how many times I gave Skin like Stone (or some similar buff) to enemy and I nuked myself. With Mage and Necro it is so much easier, since I don't have to worry to change target, since those spells are self only. Necro's leach also heals me. Attack + heal with one push of the button. That's what I call easy!

I'm still playing this game too 'easy'. But I will learn. I died 3 times and lost level because I didn't pull blues in safe area. Or because I forgot to check that 'blue' and see that it was actually white or yellow. Once my own pet suicided me, by deciding to attack much stronger skeleton and of course, I went right into the battle helping him, instead of checking the level with consider and hitting the 'gate' button lol. But I will get better, I will learn, i just need to die a little bit more...
;)

Now here is an interesting story. How lvl3 saved me from dying one more time. I run into this new player, he just dinged lvl 3 (Mage) and I gave him some change, bags, gave him tips, spells info... and I decided to help him level to 4, where he can start using his pet. So we are at kobold camps, no one is around and we are massacring them. Funny how level 3 can aggro. I though higher level higher aggro. Nope. Well, I was dealing with one Kobold when he pulled 3 more. I knew this is going to be hard, remember, clumsy and bad player, I managed to kill two, but pet HP was low, so I told him to run. He did. He stopped at Druid ring (Steam Mountain or whatever is called Gnome starting area)

A little bit later he saw me passing by with last Kobold chasing me. I was strafing toward the guard with last crumbs of HP, I wouldn't make it. Then he send a nuke toward the Kobold and with his lvl3, Kobold turned to him and killed him. He said: "I'm lvl 3, I don't lose any experience."

Nice and quick thinking, exactly opposite than me. :D

Anyway, here is a story, how brand new player, in this brutal game, never played EQ before, on his second day, with his level3 mage saved life of level6 Necro ;)

pivo
05-09-2020, 10:00 PM
I'm playing 3 classes: Druid(9), Mage(8) and Necro(6)

Next plan, goal is to level them to 12, so I can start binding them wherever I want!
Then in a year or so, I may have another goal :D

Menenolly
05-21-2020, 10:20 PM
All this talk of quadding. Mid 30's you need a lot of mana to do it which means items. I tried to take on mid 30's dwarves with 1500 hp's and I had to get more wisdom items to do it. This was on Blue.

Chubba
05-22-2020, 07:19 AM
Wizard, mage?

I would think in terms of soloing capacity and the ease of play, a mage would have to win. Beafy pets, solidish nukes.

Wizard has the bonus of porting when you get there, but you spend a lot of time on that ass.

Baler
05-22-2020, 07:23 AM
18 pages and the answer is still rogue.

Jimjam
05-22-2020, 07:55 AM

The number of button presses that took this page to 18 could have got a rogue to 50.

BlackBellamy
05-22-2020, 10:10 AM
The number of button presses that took this page to 18 could have got a rogue to 50.

Yeah 18 pages of people going off on their own and forgetting the very specific requirements the OP had:

I will play mostly solo.

Who is recommending rogue for a solo newb? Raise you hands so you can be shunned publicly so I don't have to go through 18 pages of crap.

Very slow inexperienced player,

Recommending rogue for a slow guy? A guy who can't position himself quickly because he's slow? One who reacts and moves slowly? That guy? Is the rogue the best choice here really?

less button I need to click, better.

No one has to ever really click anything because there are hotkeys but if you're just talking about keypresses are we forgetting the movement keys? Guy doesn't want busy hands and people are like rogue rogue rogue.

That's why I don't ask shit on these forums. I just tell people what's up.

Kich867
05-22-2020, 10:21 AM
Yeah 18 pages of people going off on their own and forgetting the very specific requirements the OP had:

Who is recommending rogue for a solo newb? Raise you hands so you can be shunned publicly so I don't have to go through 18 pages of crap.

Recommending rogue for a slow guy? A guy who can't position himself quickly because he's slow? One who reacts and moves slowly? That guy? Is the rogue the best choice here really?

No one has to ever really click anything because there are hotkeys but if you're just talking about keypresses are we forgetting the movement keys? Guy doesn't want busy hands and people are like rogue rogue rogue.

That's why I don't ask shit on these forums. I just tell people what's up.

Given the above how is the answer not Wizard? Sit for like 6m 40s, stand up, root enemy -> cast whatever your strongest nuke is until it dies -> sit down again.

Might not be the most efficient style, but Wizards moreso than most classes really only need to use one or two spells while leveling and the others are extremely straight-forward like their AC/HP self-buffs.

Exard3k
05-22-2020, 11:11 AM
Given the above how is the answer not Wizard? Sit for like 6m 40s, stand up, root enemy -> cast whatever your strongest nuke is until it dies -> sit down again.

Well Quadding is much more complicated. And within groups it's way more than nukin', although that's the main part.

ChooChoo Train
05-22-2020, 11:17 AM
The answer is easily bard - the simplest or the most technical of the classes (do you wanna afk manasong or be a pro?)

Kich867
05-22-2020, 11:34 AM
Well Quadding is much more complicated. And within groups it's way more than nukin', although that's the main part.

But they're intention is to mostly solo and quadding is easily removed from that by just not doing it. And in low level groups, its just nuking. Anything beyond nuking can be requested by the group and surely any remotely functioning human being can handle the extremely low threshold to be "good" at everquest.

DMN
05-22-2020, 01:15 PM
Given the above how is the answer not Wizard?

Because mages are a thing.

Jimjam
05-22-2020, 01:26 PM

Might not be the most efficient style, but Wizards moreso than most classes really only need to use one or two spells while leveling and the others are extremely straight-forward like their AC/HP self-buffs.

For the first 40 levels I didn't even bother with root. I just wore the best, crappy hp/ac gear I could find.

Snortles Chortles
05-22-2020, 02:36 PM
ForumQuester class real EZ

Kich867
05-22-2020, 02:44 PM
Because mages are a thing.

Mages have pets that you need to make macros for and a player who doesn't understand how pets contribute to their XP is going to be severely slowed down.

I'd say managing a pet and nuking adds a layer complexity that the Wizard does not have--just nuking. The wizard is probably the simplest most straight forward class for killing individual things.

You're not managing a pet, deciding which pet to use, trying to figure out what they all do, you're just nuking. Its fundamentally simpler than a mage.

DMN
05-22-2020, 03:01 PM
Mages have pets that you need to make macros for and a player who doesn't understand how pets contribute to their XP is going to be severely slowed down.

I'd say managing a pet and nuking adds a layer complexity that the Wizard does not have--just nuking. The wizard is probably the simplest most straight forward class for killing individual things.

You're not managing a pet, deciding which pet to use, trying to figure out what they all do, you're just nuking. Its fundamentally simpler than a mage.

Pfft. Mages can kill individual blues with a single button press.

pivo
05-25-2020, 10:04 AM

I may give a wizard a try. Heck I'm having ONLY 3 toons (4 if I count Blue server)

Since I'm in no rush, just slowly leveling and having fun, why not. Of the three at these low levels (14-15) I prefer Mage over Necro and Druid the least, since Druid has most down time. With mage is easy. First I nuke and get max XP, then I meditate while pet is attacking and I'm still getting half XP. (Same with Necro) Didn't mess with the macros yet. One day... Was funny I was in duo, someone said to assist. I though he meant to help him with the pet... didn't know he meant command /assist. I didn't know this kind of command even exist lol.

With Druid, when I meditate, I just meditate, no XP at that time and I meditate a lot. Another thing I don't like about Druid, too many spells I want to use but not enough slots. 3 x shield, SoW that everyone wants, Harmony for splitting groups, nuke, DOT, port... I don't want to keep switching spells in and out.

Necro I like better than druid, but I don't get some of the spells, don't know how to use them properly, but for now I'm OK, leveling as I go...

Well, speaking of properly using spells, I'm sure I'm not using them properly on any toon, but with Necro they are the biggest mystery to me.

I may just try Wizard also. I have several years to slowly level up, no rush... Started with tailoring too... But so far Mage is the winner for this very clumsy, slow, bad player.

pivo
05-25-2020, 10:05 AM

LOL LOl LOL!!! You guys are sooooo funny, I'm glad I started this thread. Rouge may be the very best of all, just not for me. ;)

pivo
05-25-2020, 10:10 AM

Beside slow, i'm really very bad player also. When in a group, I'm bigger danger to co-players, then attacking monster, no kidding. How many times I put a shield & buff on attacker and nuke myself. Or trying to nuke and nothing happens, then I realize I'm typing "1" into chat window... I bet I'm topping the chart, of who died most of the time. It is a shame, there is no statistic for this ;)

pivo
05-25-2020, 10:27 AM

LOL LOL LOL, too funny!:D

pivo
05-25-2020, 10:30 AM
The answer is easily bard - the simplest or the most technical of the classes (do you wanna afk manasong or be a pro?)

Nah, not for me. I have read about the Bard, I would have hard time properly move in the circle while casting all the songs. You need young fingers and hands for this. And be a little bit less clumsy than I am ;)

pivo
05-25-2020, 11:23 AM
I may give a wizard a try.

Hmm, maybe not. Will think about it. Very slow painful first 12 levels per guides, need asking for clarity and SoW buffs. Also quite slow and grindy up to 29 per some guides. That's mean (for me) some year or two of pain. Do I really want this? ;)

Also: "Wizards are a very powerful class however they are also a very hard class to play. You will have to learn to hit without being hit and this can take time."

May not be a good fit for this slow, bad, clumsy player. If I don't possition correctly, nuke (and mana) is wasted...

I may decide to enjoy mage for a wile first :-)

wayne62682
06-02-2020, 11:07 AM
As a new player myself (brand new) I find that I'm drawn at the moment to Magician or Druid. I see Druid often stated as being a good beginner class but then I also see that it's not really wanted in groups, and the "quad kiting" thing sounds pretty difficult to do. Magician has a pet that can tank for them (reminds me of a Voidwalker in WoW) but there's the 51% damage thing for full XP and from what I'm reading Green doesn't have a pet bar so you have to use macros and like target your pet periodically to see its life and get it to do things? So I'm not sure about that either.

Necro sounds fun because I've liked a Warlock in WoW but seem to have the same thing as Mage with the added thing of the pet not being as tanky (?) and being evil so you get attacked in some areas, which doesn't sound appealing for a newbie who doesn't know where to go or where to avoid.

Very confusing. Everything seems to have major drawbacks so it's making it really really hard to decide. Although right now Druid seems like it has the least drawbacks other than quad kiting seems pretty hard.

pivo
06-07-2020, 05:44 PM
Very confusing. Everything seems to have major drawbacks so it's making it really really hard to decide. Although right now Druid seems like it has the least drawbacks other than quad kiting seems pretty hard.

Nah, not confusing. There is not 'one, best class' or most would be playing that one.

Most things you mentioned I already addressed earlier and in the thread you started the other day. But I can repeat few points.

About Quad Kitting, I'm too clumsy player to be ever able to pull this off IMHO. But it does not matter. Most classes can perform many different attacks. Druids some 5 or so. If Quad Kitting is not for me or for you it may be Pet Charming or something else. This is very versatile game. You shouldn't dismiss Druid because you think QK may be too hard to you. You don't ever need to do QK. QK just means you level faster (and faster money harvesting)

Don't worry about 50% loss of XP because of magician pet does most damage. There are ways to mitigate this. Let me show you example, real example, from my leveling Druid and Mage in Steamfot Mountains, 4 Minotaures, levels IDK, 11-12-13-14...

With Druid I had to wait 1 or two levels higher, Mage was able to start much earlier.
With Druid I killed one Minos then I meditated and waited. Then I killed second Mino then meditated and waited...

With Mage I killed (nuked) first one, got all XP. Then for second one I was meditating while pet was killing it. So no sitting and waiting. Since pet did most of damage I got only half XP, but I didn't need to just sit and wait meditating. At level 12 I could nuke 2 Minos with Mage first and get complete XP then last two pet finished and mage got 50% XP. But again, I was attacking all the time, no need for just waiting and meditating like with Druid.

Now if I wanted to make sure I always get 100% XP I could do two things:

1 - nuke two Minos, sit and meditate to get mana back to 100%, then nuke the other two Minos... problem solved. More sitting, more meditating (similar like Druid) but all XP

2 - I could have pet do most the damage, then when Mino's HP gets low I kill/disband my pet, reclaim it's mana then finish the Mino and get full XP. Since pet did most of the damage my mana is almost full. So I can repeat, cast the pet spell (fire is best for this technique due of it's auto damage fire shield), pull second Mino, pet does most damage, kill the pet, reclaim it's mana and finish the Mino... Downside is you are keep using Malachite but it is cheap. Plus is, you are always getting full XP, mana is mostly full and you hardly do any sitting/meditating. Looks like it is the fastest leveling possible on Mage.

Now I need to point out, I have low level Druid (18), he is not in his own game yet, until pet charming starts (will try at level 19) it is probably unfair to compare Druid with Mage. After level 19 Druid may become more fun, better than Mage, superior... Will see. But for now, Mage is hands down more fun, more powerful, levels much faster, meditates much less, give me more ways how to play and level...

About macros for pet. I don't use some complicated macros, but don't group either. I have two commands linked to buttons:

/pet attack (or /pet kill)
/pet back off

So far, that's all I needed. Second one you need if pet is attacking one NPC and you get attacked by second one and you want help, you keep spam second button and pet will soon start atacking your attacker. I thinks those macros warning may be for some higher level group play that will not apply for me.

About pet window. Yes it is nice to have it (on blue server) On green there is key fro switching between last two targets. Click first on your pet, then on NPC. now by pushing down that key (remapped mine to ~) I'm switching between attacking NPC and my pet and I can monitor both HP's. Pet window on Blue is better but this works also.

The title of this thread was, which class is easiest. Few posts back I declared, that question is solved, answered. For first few levels, up to 20, Magician is hands down the best and easiest of these three (Druid, Necro, Mage) for this bad, slow & clumsy player. ;)

Vaarsuvius
06-07-2020, 06:54 PM
Pfft. Mages can kill individual blues with a single button press.

:D

I'm 54 atm, please show me how you do that with a blue mob (say any rat, golem, or wanderer) in the Hole.
Let me get some popcorn first

pivo
06-07-2020, 08:26 PM

I'm 54 atm, please show me how you do that with a blue mob (say any rat, golem, or wanderer) in the Hole.

LOL, you can't take these statements literally. Just like the other one, something like this: How many times took me to click through this thread, i would have my Rouge already levelled to 50. LOL! too funny!

These are funny statements, reflecting the joy someone has with his own class. I'm glad they like them and helping us with some laughing. Too much angry lately in this world and not enough laughing ;)

Snortles Chortles
06-07-2020, 10:37 PM
bush buttons
ding

Vaarsuvius
06-08-2020, 02:40 AM
LOL, you can't take these statements literally. Just like the other one, something like this: How many times took me to click through this thread, i would have my Rouge already levelled to 50. LOL! too funny!

These are funny statements, reflecting the joy someone has with his own class. I'm glad they like them and helping us with some laughing. Too much angry lately in this world and not enough laughing ;)

Not angry at all,

Just amused to see what people think being class xxxx means

Make mage
Create /pet attack key
Profit
Grind 1 - > 60

😁

DMN
06-08-2020, 04:09 AM

First off, there is no level 54 on green.Second off, I didn't say they could kill *any blue* they wanted with a single button press.

pivo
06-12-2020, 10:13 PM
Not angry at all...

Didn't mean you, sorry.
I meant, these kind of posts, when players really like their character, hence they pump up a little bit their abilities, bring smile to my face in this, recently way too serious times ;)

Wallicker
06-13-2020, 06:51 AM

Make a macro for /cast 1 and /pet attack dyrna on the same button.
Go to highkeep.
Congrats single button killing blue until lvl 58.

Castle2.0
06-13-2020, 09:36 AM
Here's one way to look a the question:

Which is the most used class by botters?
or
Which class most often gets accused of botting because they are AFK/semi-AFK killing?

Answer: Mage

I hope to run into a charming Enchanter bot, one day. Would be cool to see before getting them banned.

Baler
06-13-2020, 12:22 PM
Rogue

attack
backstab
evade

pivo
06-13-2020, 10:54 PM
Make a macro for /cast 1 and /pet attack dyrna on the same button.
Go to highkeep.
Congrats single button killing blue until lvl 58.

LOL I love it!!!

I had already linked '/pet attack' to auto attack button, but your solution is better. Can I place some kind of 2 seconds pause between two commands so pet gets some aggro first? Any other Mage macro tips you may have?

/cast 1
/pet attack

p.s.
"/pet attack dyrna on the same button." that 'dyrna' is typo or some kind of command? I tried also:

/cast 1
/pet attack dyrna

and seems like no difference

Sabin76
06-13-2020, 11:27 PM
LOL I love it!!!

I had already linked '/pet attack' to auto attack button, but your solution is better. Can I place some kind of 2 seconds pause between two commands so pet gets some aggro first? Any other Mage macro tips you may have?

/cast 1
/pet attack

p.s.
"/pet attack dyrna on the same button." that 'dyrna' is typo or some kind of command? I tried also:

/cast 1
/pet attack dyrna

and seems like no difference

Quick answer: yes.

Check out this link for more information: https://wiki.project1999.com/Commands

Vaarsuvius
06-14-2020, 12:07 PM
Cheers,

I've never leveled in High Pass. Will give it a try 🙂

/pet attack Dyma
/pause 20
/cast <insert # of the slot spell you want to cast>
Wrath of the Elements, like Elemental Maelstrom, can be cast even before pet aggroes since it has a very small nuke component

pivo
06-17-2020, 07:32 AM
/pet attack Dyma
/pause 20
/cast <insert # of the slot spell you want to cast>
Wrath of the Elements, like Elemental Maelstrom, can be cast even before pet aggroes since it has a very small nuke component

Ahh 'Dyma', it was a typo then. Thank you for the macro & pause command, will try it out!

Oddbaal
06-17-2020, 08:48 AM
/assist Pullername
/pause 1
/pet attack

I love my mage. While a chaotic pull ensues, you’re firmly planted as the battle strategist weighing the situation in your mind as your comrades and elemental scramble before you. It may look like you’re only sitting there, but the other classes will not understand your divine communion with the elements to select your perfect moment to attack. Just when things look lost, you rise and release an arcane volley to bring peace to the battlefield. When the carnage is over, time to sit back down, meditate and reflect. They will never understand the power we wield.

pivo
06-17-2020, 09:49 AM
It may look like you’re only sitting there, but the other classes will not understand your divine communion with the elements to select your perfect moment to attack. Just when things look lost, you rise and release an arcane volley to bring peace to the battlefield....
They will never understand the power we wield.

Nice! :)
And thanks for the macro. Someone told me to assist him, and now I understand, what he was talking about ;)

pivo
06-17-2020, 09:53 AM
Check out this link for more information: https://wiki.project1999.com/Commands

Great info, thanks!

Oddbaal
06-17-2020, 11:16 AM
Nice! :)
And thanks for the macro. Someone told me to assist him, and now I understand, what he was talking about ;)

Sometimes the pet won’t want to listen. Make sure if it’s attacking the wrong target to spam back off and then re-apply your assist macro so it gets on the right mark. Silly pets. Happy hunting brother mage.

Fammaden
06-17-2020, 11:44 AM
Its best to put /pet back off before the /assist line in the macro so you can hammer it to re-assist and get the pet off the wrong target. Very helpful if an AE goes off or you get attacked while medding on pulls etc.

Drannorius
06-18-2020, 05:32 PM
Conan was obviously either a multiclass Fighter/Thief (1e 2e style) or a Warrior with 1 to 3 level dip into Rogue (5e).

Wallicker
06-18-2020, 05:51 PM
Dyrna is the name of a squishy necro in highkeep basement that cons blue til 57.

pivo
06-18-2020, 11:03 PM
Dyrna is the name of a squishy necro in highkeep basement that cons blue til 57.

Ahh, lol I see, thanks!

pivo
06-18-2020, 11:05 PM
Its best to put /pet back off before the /assist line in the macro so you can hammer it to re-assist and get the pet off the wrong target. Very helpful if an AE goes off or you get attacked while medding on pulls etc.

Good point, solves problem that @Oddbaal mentioned. Writing down, thank you

Bardp1999
06-19-2020, 12:48 AM
Monk is pretty brain dead to play through most content, can be a pain in the arse later on when people expect you to start pulling mobs and splitting rooms with feign death, but mostly its clicking auto attack and 1 or 2 other abilities.

Having feign death as a new player is very useful, and Monks are 'liked' mostly everywhere unlike necromancers, plus they group well