PDA

View Full Version : Choosing your character's name

Yacoby44
04-08-2020, 11:59 PM
I don't think I have had a more crippling gaming disability than the inability to come up with a satisfactory name for any character I plan to spend a decent amount of time on.

The other day a friend of mine was making a character and hit the random button once and said "Yeah... That looks fine." and created their character.

I really envy that mindset. It has taken me upwards of about a week to come up with a name at times. I wish my brain functioned properly.

Vizax_Xaziv
04-09-2020, 12:22 AM
In 1999 it was a multiday process. Flippin through all my fantasy novels and DND materials.

Nowdays it's as easy as a few clicks on the fantasy name generator and you get a racially appropriate name.

Granted back then if u petitioned enough a GM would eventually give a name change

Yacoby44
04-09-2020, 12:33 AM
Someway to maybe donate for a one time name change and having the name posted in a stickied "Recent Name Changes" thread where they stay there for a predetermined amount of time would be such a nice QoL change for someone like myself.

I know it sounds bad, but I don't think it would get abused as much as you would think and it would help to raise money for the server operation costs.

Scoojitsu
04-09-2020, 03:25 AM
Also takes me ages to find an appropriate name.
Sometimes I click the ingame name generator and change the suggested name around a bit. Some of the generated ones aren't too bad actually. They usually fit the chosen race well.
I also have a list of names I have used in other or previous games. Many of those are taken already on P1999 tho.

It is a really important choice for me, too. The name determines what people think of you when they first read it.
I cannot understand how some people give their characters really stupid names that don't even fit a fantasy world.

Swish
04-09-2020, 07:11 AM
Someway to maybe donate for a one time name change and having the name posted in a stickied "Recent Name Changes" thread where they stay there for a predetermined amount of time would be such a nice QoL change for someone like myself.

I know it sounds bad, but I don't think it would get abused as much as you would think and it would help to raise money for the server operation costs.

Once you head in that direction you soon become the majority of the private WoW servers.

Mblake81
04-09-2020, 08:26 AM
Once you head in that direction you soon become the majority of the private WoW servers.

The best of intentions pave the road to hell.

Baler
04-09-2020, 08:44 AM
Step One start a crusade against name violators
Step Two snatch up said names and sit on them a couple years
Step Three Act like names are all gone so staff feel sympathetic
Step Four ???
Step Five Profit

magnetaress
04-09-2020, 08:47 AM
Softdrinks r my personal favoriate varients

Malten Dewie
Cloaca Zerie
Myssti Phirbb

ldgo86
04-09-2020, 10:05 AM
I pick a name from a show or movie I like and then alter it until it’s unrecognizable.

solleks
04-09-2020, 10:30 AM
i like to pick something mildly offense to trigger fats and dumbs, just kidding. something funny is good imo

Izmael
04-09-2020, 11:07 AM
Depend on what guild you plan on joining. It may make the name picking process more or less difficult.

1. Seal Team: 4 letter, AAA+ rare name that makes a statement about how cool and sophisticated you are IRL - and not at all a neckbeard spending 18 hours per day playing EQ. Something barely clearing the naming policy gets extra points.

2. Castle/Kingdom/other leveling guilds: Anything will do. Randomly generated names welcome. Be warned - this is how you may find yourself playing a ranger or a paladin named Aeuwieeyieuien after level 40 and realize that noone on the fucking planet is capable of typing out your name to send you a tell. This is why you have never been able to sell anything in EC.

3. Dark Men of Odus: Anything that sounds like an African-American given name should do. Extra points if it's something really common like Tyrell / Tyrone / etc.

Indecisive
04-09-2020, 02:27 PM
I like puns. My favorite one I ever came up with was Shaqheal O'Cheal. But since I refuse to play an Erudite, I can't use it.

Swish
04-09-2020, 03:40 PM
Aeiouuoiea - for a high elf

Baler
04-09-2020, 03:43 PM
/tell Auooiee haste wmp
"that person is not online"
*raid wipes*

all because they can't get a sensible name... Ban these name hoarders
*looks around innocently*

Izmael
04-09-2020, 04:28 PM
I'll trade you Ueaywieeieien if you have Weyniaaneeenien

ZamnilBlackaxe1989
04-10-2020, 11:04 AM
I've been Zamnil on every MMO I've played, imagine my dismay to see that someone else already has it when I made my Dwarf Warrior 10 minutes ago. My number 2 choice of "Burlok" is also not available, had to go with my number 3 choice of Smednir. I am a very sad dwarf right now, lads.

Budder
04-10-2020, 09:16 PM
Lol. I hate the names that have a lot of LI next to each other. I can never get it right when sending tells.

My main, Renlaan was generated for me in 1999 and was the first random choice and I went with it because I just wanted to get into the game. Little did I know I still use that name to this day on all my MMOs I’ve played. I have managed to score some good names when they had the name delete last November.

Christina.
04-11-2020, 03:18 PM
I always think of good names.

And then I pick fantasy everquestish surnames lol. My magician doesn't have a surname anymore but at one time it was Christina Littletoes lol

magnetaress
04-12-2020, 02:48 PM
I always like to consider species, social status, deity, culture, and aesthetics.

https://i.imgur.com/rjgdGqZ.png

IMO pretty fitting for a disenfranchised renegade half elf who just doesn't want to ever die or lose her good looks. She will do anything for immortal youth.

Her alignment tends more towards the Neutral, and less towards the evil, she's definitely not wanton and would never go out of her way to hurt anyone, but she would sacrifice your blood to her dark god if it meant another 5 years of glamour.

https://i.imgur.com/uKL9I92.png

Other wise she is pretty nice, a great baker, and loves to have fun and visit tropical beaches like Toxxulia.

Jimjam
04-12-2020, 02:58 PM
half elf warriors should follow innoruuk, not bertox!

/duel!

magnetaress
04-12-2020, 03:04 PM
half elf warriors should follow innoruuk, not bertox!

/duel!

tbh, Innoruuk was just a phase for me.

Jimjam
04-12-2020, 03:07 PM
tbh, Innoruuk was just a phase for me.

With this one secret 9 / 11 dark elves hate her.

Canelek
04-12-2020, 03:16 PM
Treetrash the half-elf bard at your service. Born into a noble Kelethin family, but chased out of the forest for selling enhanced jum to bored elf noble wives. Sought refuge in Qeynos where he lives a sparse, but rewarding life as a migrant errand-elf.

magnetaress
04-14-2020, 12:19 PM
https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/sw-ewok-names.php

Kiglook Fameen
Dyllook Tristriddi
Trika Nistryc
Keglyl Krarraalla
Tragre Nistang
Diglet Jylregra
Werra Jastal
Geke Kirladra
Istre Zinraang