PDA

View Full Version : Class Choice Conundrum

Trivonus
04-07-2020, 01:43 AM
Hey all,

I've basically narrowed down my choices to the following: bard, mage, druid, shaman shadowknight, enchanter and necromancer.

1) Bard - carpel tunnel
2) Mage - Can't split and epic too difficult to procure
3) Druid - can't dungeon delve solo
4 Shaman - I get yelled at in groups if I'm a healer. Maybe I suck at the job... idk tbh but not fun for sure.
5) Shadowknight - Solo power relatively weak/dungeon diving relatively weak compared to ench/necro/shaman. Also, pretty sure I've missed my chance to get guise and an ogre or troll SK w/o a guise is facepalm.

So, it's basically a two horse race!
1) Enchanter - Quite stressful, and I do like being able to release my bladder at will.
2) Necromancer- Everything seems perfect and A+++ great except that I can't roll iksar yet!!

So, I'm really not sure what to do. :confused: Thoughts?! I'd much appreciate your opinion! :)

Indecisive
04-07-2020, 03:15 AM
1) Having to double-tap is what kills the fingers on a bard. With the proper macros, it doesn't really feel any different than a modern MMO.

/stopsong
/cast 1
etc.

2) You're right that you'll probably never get your epic, but you'll likely never get it on Bard, Necromancer, or Shadow Knight either. Depending on how important that accomplishment is to you, you're looking at getting rid of more than half the classes you chose.

3) You can do some damage in a few zones with charm. At 60 and with balls of steel, there are some druids who have even had some success in Plane of Fear solo. Fun class, but there's a billion of you, and you won't make it into a lot of non-guild groups after the 40's or so.

4) Never played shaman, so can't really comment. But healing is super easy, so you're probably just not paying close attention.

5) If Guise stops dropping next month, you're probably right. But if it stops dropping in June, you've probably got enough time if you're ready to poopsock.

--------------------------

Can't comment too much on Enchanter, other than to say it's Norrath's most powerful class. And like you, I can't wait for Kunark so I can roll my necro.

Cen
04-07-2020, 07:57 AM
Yeah the bard carpel tunnel thing is nonsense. Any other modern game has more presses and action.

Bards are just closer to other video game action play.

What you mean to say is bard isnt a class you go to sleep on

Swish
04-07-2020, 08:52 AM
1) Enchanter - Quite stressful, and I do like being able to release my bladder at will.
2) Necromancer- Everything seems perfect and A+++ great except that I can't roll iksar yet!!

Enchanter, release your pet and get someone to root it while you afk. As long as you don't need to afk every 5-10 minutes you'll be fine there.

If you like to alt-tab/look at Netflix every few seconds on the other hand.... maybe not ;)

Enchanter is your only choice with all the "can't do this, can't do that" on your other options... embrace the minor inconvenience <3

BlackBellamy
04-07-2020, 09:16 AM
How long you planning on playing? Until the end? Roll a halfling druid first. Don't worry about delving; unless you're specifically hungry for frenzy or the lord you'll be aight. If you're starting a stable of characters a druid is your best first choice.

turbosilk
04-07-2020, 09:21 AM
Hey all,

I've basically narrowed down my choices to the following: bard, mage, druid, shaman shadowknight, enchanter and necromancer.

1) Bard - carpel tunnel
2) Mage - Can't split and epic too difficult to procure
3) Druid - can't dungeon delve solo
4 Shaman - I get yelled at in groups if I'm a healer. Maybe I suck at the job... idk tbh but not fun for sure.
5) Shadowknight - Solo power relatively weak/dungeon diving relatively weak compared to ench/necro/shaman. Also, pretty sure I've missed my chance to get guise and an ogre or troll SK w/o a guise is facepalm.

So, I'm really not sure what to do. :confused: Thoughts?! I'd much appreciate your opinion! :)

Mages don't need to split.

DisbeAsos
04-07-2020, 09:59 PM
Play the 2 youre leaning towards the most up to lvl 10-12, pick one, roll your necro as an Iksar when Kunark comes out.

solleks
04-07-2020, 10:14 PM
i just want to say druids can delve dont be silly. they can meditate, root and dot. if you have patience you can delve. also IVU pots

Vizax_Xaziv
04-07-2020, 10:54 PM
As a Shaman you won't often be a groups main healer after about lvl 30. You'll often be there for buffs/debuffs, DPS and supplemental healing.

I'm currently playing my first ever Shaman, just hit level 35, and REALLY enjoying it. Those stat buffs are HUGE in Classic due to everyone's lack of equipment!

Amazing in groups, above average in soloing, and probably the best duoer in the game (paired with a Monk or SK specifically)

magnetaress
04-07-2020, 11:41 PM
whats your preferred playstyle, solo/with grps?

Right now is a good time to RP any class U want it will eventually get 60

Videri
04-08-2020, 12:22 AM
Perhaps Bard now, necro at Kunark. If your wrists aren't very bent or tense when playing, you won't get carpal tunnel syndrome.

Also, you don't have to double-tap on a bard. Ever. Instead of hitting the 2 key twice, you hit 1 then 2 with a quick and efficient rolling motion. The 1 stops the song, the 2 starts song 2. Then you hit 2 then 3. The 2 stops the song, the 3 starts the next song.

magnetaress
04-08-2020, 12:24 AM
ya you can play a bard kinda relaxed if ur puller and ccin and not tryint o kite 500 mobs

Vizax_Xaziv
04-08-2020, 12:26 AM
ya you can play a bard kinda relaxed if ur puller and ccin and not tryint o kite 500 mobs

Also you don't have to go super-hardcore and swap instruments and weapons constantly. In fact higher level Bards are often more beneficial to a group playing songs w lute or drum and not meleeing at all

Trivonus
04-08-2020, 03:41 AM
Problem with bard I see is that they have really no way to get back to where they were in a dungeon if they delve too deep and die (LGuk for example) as their invis song requires an instrument to be equipped. Secondly, their solo power is decent for sure, but dungeon diving solo as a bard is a level of stress I really don't want. I feel like your margin for error on a bard is paper thin.

I'm still totally lost on what to play. I've even thought about just playing a druid and porting people for $$ to twink my iksar necro, but that feels kinda lame. But, maybe that's all I got. lol

Keebz
04-08-2020, 04:05 AM
Sounds like you wanna play a necro, so just play a necro dude. You can twink your iksar necro with your necro if you really want.

Trivonus
04-08-2020, 04:36 AM
Sounds like you wanna play a necro, so just play a necro dude. You can twink your iksar necro with your necro if you really want.

You might be right, but leveling one twice feelsbadman. :p

Jimjam
04-08-2020, 06:28 AM
Problem with bard I see is that they have really no way to get back to where they were in a dungeon if they delve too deep and die (LGuk for example) as their invis song requires an instrument to be equipped. Secondly, their solo power is decent for sure, but dungeon diving solo as a bard is a level of stress I really don't want. I feel like your margin for error on a bard is paper thin.

I'm still totally lost on what to play. I've even thought about just playing a druid and porting people for $$ to twink my iksar necro, but that feels kinda lame. But, maybe that's all I got. lol

Bind near bank or instrument vendor.

Indecisive
04-08-2020, 08:59 AM
Yeah, I keep a bag in my bank filled with vendor instruments for CR's.

Videri
04-08-2020, 09:01 AM
Perhaps enc now, necro at Kunark.

magnetaress
04-08-2020, 09:36 AM
Enc or mage. No pressure to even level indoors.

larper99
04-08-2020, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I keep a bag in my bank filled with vendor instruments for CR's.

Yep, me too. And after recovering the corpse, one of the first things I do is put them back in the bank.

I love my bard. We are squishy soloing in dungeons. Not so much in groups. I have offered many times to be just the sound track to the battle instead of an active melee-er. But most groups want me to add whatever tiny DPS I can. What I try to do then is be kinda like a relief tank when needed, and emergency CC. I seem to work best being a minor tank with a good rogue.

I also don't think the bard should always be the primary puller, although most groups expect it. I prefer to stay back and help the casters save mana with heal/clarity while the puller goes out. That way, I can switch instantly into the buff songs when he comes back, and the casters have saved a meager, but perhaps important, amount of mana.

Keebz
04-08-2020, 07:01 PM
You might be right, but leveling one twice feelsbadman. :p

If you actually like playing a class, playing it again isn't really a drag. I have had like 8 bards over the years, a couple rangers, and am on warrior #2 in the past year.

By your logic, if you want to play a necro come kunark, you should play something with a completely different play style or else it's basically "leveling twice" the same way. In which case, I suggest druid.

Bristlebaner
04-08-2020, 08:53 PM
Enchanter is great, but you must be on point or you're going to die, and kill your group. You will test how fast you can run to take a piss for sure.

I'd vote necro.

Vizax_Xaziv
04-08-2020, 09:24 PM
Yep, me too. And after recovering the corpse, one of the first things I do is put them back in the bank.

I love my bard. We are squishy soloing in dungeons. Not so much in groups. I have offered many times to be just the sound track to the battle instead of an active melee-er. But most groups want me to add whatever tiny DPS I can. What I try to do then is be kinda like a relief tank when needed, and emergency CC. I seem to work best being a minor tank with a good rogue.

I also don't think the bard should always be the primary puller, although most groups expect it. I prefer to stay back and help the casters save mana with heal/clarity while the puller goes out. That way, I can switch instantly into the buff songs when he comes back, and the casters have saved a meager, but perhaps important, amount of mana.
Should join my groups - u like to play your Bard same as me it sounds like! Wwaaayyy better for a Monk to pull while the Bard sits in playing heal+Mana.

Cen
04-09-2020, 02:15 AM
Remember - rangers have the meme of dying all the time, but they really don't actually..
thats enchanters ;D Enchanters die all the time, but nobody talks about it

Jimjam
04-09-2020, 02:51 AM
If you actually like playing a class, playing it again isn't really a drag. I have had like 8 bards over the years, a couple rangers, and am on warrior #2 in the past year.

It amazes me how many people seem to play this game despite despising the bulk of it.

magnetaress
04-09-2020, 09:24 AM
Ya lol I enjoy the lower lvls more than the upper levels. IDK something about being able to barely survive and requiring a bit of thought, and effort, vs just being able to roll into a mid lvl zone and kill everything in 1 hit.

There is nothing wrong with doing alternative things, we dont all need to roll a necro and farm fbss's. Thank god for those necros that do though, cuz that camp is long and boring lol.

IMO no matter what OP or anyone decides to do, there will be someone to interact with and something to do to while(sp?) away the time. anyway. This game is what we make of it, just like everything else in life. People can come here healthy and happy and have a good time, or we can bring our baggage with us and struggle through it all. Either way is fine. Some people need a struggle. Others don't. Nothin wrong with either. Or a mixture of said journies.

Bards pretty versatile and can switch paths as needed ) selos is great )

Also, having 10 lvl 5-20's and one lvl 50 is cool and normal, its ok to try out a bunch of characters to lvl 10 or so, u will get a feel for it by then, 20 for sure, and it only takes like --- 3 days logged in time with lots of afk to hit 20?

Before you know it you will have 5 lvl 60s

then u will really wake up lol (

*<3*

ldgo86
04-09-2020, 09:54 AM
It amazes me how many people seem to play this game despite despising the bulk of it.

You just described drug addiction :)

magnetaress
04-09-2020, 10:44 AM
You just described drug addiction :)

The problem is there is a lot of addiction in 2020 and it has less to do with the actual drugs and game and more to do with the environment we live in.

I feel for these people. It took literally attempting to kill myself multiple times to break that cycle ***NOT RECOMMENDED*** and start enjoying the little things (Like EQ) in my life, and FQ (yes I am posting up a storm) but I am on the road to recovery, and this is no honeymoon phase. :cool:

What I am trying to say is if you aren't happy, its not the class you are playing or the pixels you rolled, its WHY you are rollin those pixels and what YOU feel about them, not the pixels themselves. :o

*bhuddess smiles*

Talzar
04-12-2020, 01:35 PM
You may benefit from trying a necro to see if you actually enjoy it. Iksar regen is a strong bonus, but it's not going to change your enjoyment of the class. A trial may be especially beneficial if you haven't previously played an evil class/race. You may avoid waiting to just be disappointed when Iksar are playable. You may also be fine with your power level and decide to keep whichever race you choose.

EQ is still a thing all these years later because it was more about the journey than the destination. The reality of the destination was that it sucked on most servers. Do whatever you want to do and try to meet some cool people along the way.

magnetaress
04-12-2020, 01:44 PM
Do whatever you want to do and try to meet some cool people along the way.

Bigsham
04-12-2020, 09:29 PM
1) Bard - Most players are too crappy to aoe kite so you will just be crap dps crap buffs crap mana regen and no one will want your penalty.
2) Mage - Strongest class but most boring and yea no epic unless your career gamer
3) Druid - crap dps crap heals worst players pick this basically you powerlevel in crushbone
4 Shaman - 99% of people who think they will camp emp in seb or somethign difficult are just too crappy to do this. You will end up just wanting malo torp and be a bane tard. Oh yea spend the whole raid buffing if your lucky enough to be on the raid.
5) Shadowknight - Best tank but nerds wont want your penalty
1) Enchanter - Charming is great but most people cant do it and suck at CC and everything else, most common class so expect no one to care about you
2) Necromancer- great solo class, wont be wanted at all for higher end groups but hey at least your skeleton is 100% pals

ldgo86
04-12-2020, 09:54 PM
1) Bard - Most players are too crappy to aoe kite so you will just be crap dps crap buffs crap mana regen and no one will want your penalty.
2) Mage - Strongest class but most boring and yea no epic unless your career gamer
3) Druid - crap dps crap heals worst players pick this basically you powerlevel in crushbone
4 Shaman - 99% of people who think they will camp emp in seb or somethign difficult are just too crappy to do this. You will end up just wanting malo torp and be a bane tard. Oh yea spend the whole raid buffing if your lucky enough to be on the raid.
1) Enchanter - Charming is great but most people cant do it and suck at CC and everything else, most common class so expect no one to care about you
2) Necromancer- great solo class, wont be wanted at all for higher end groups but hey at least your skeleton is 100% pals

Can we make this the descriptions for the classes on the wiki:D

Jimjam
04-13-2020, 03:01 AM
Great post, but you forgot to mention necromancer is best group class.

Trivonus
04-14-2020, 04:27 AM

Love this comment. So, what would you recommend me play? Out of all the classes, even? I guess necro? I like mainly soloability (especially high end) so that narrows it to shaman, necro and enchanter. Yea, shaman healing is meh, and enchanter is a kidney stone waiting to happen, so I guess it's necro.

But, I can't go iksar nec on green. Maybe I'll just roll blue but that would take most of the fun and the mystique out of it. Like, I can't fire-pot bind. I can't gear up in the planes. I can't get a 0 sec cast invis clicky. Basically, if I play blue, I have to farm hundreds of hours to get stuff that I can farm on green myself, and the player experience is better.

BUT, I have to wait to roll iksar. And lets be honest, playing a non-iksar necro ain't me. (I'm a total min/maxer at heart!) So blue or just wait until kunark. No good options.